50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 86.
#3501 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

No sir look back I have showed that I'm not a fan of what stern is doing thus far with this title. get it straight.

Ok, let's look back...

Quoted from ASOA:

This is a Big Win for STERN. Feel confident when placing your order.

Quoted from ASOA:

STERN = GOLD STAR

Quoted from ASOA:

Potential Pro buyers can move forward with confidence.

But then...

Quoted from ASOA:

I'm not getting cold feet on my purchases. But we need to speak the truth to all others who were not there.

And then...

Quoted from ASOA:

holding on my order of 10 pros

Quoted from ASOA:

We all need to justify these big purchases one way or another. ... Jokeing aside code will be released but mechanical issues are more concerning. Anyone that has recived there PRO and put some time on it please confirm the following /Overall build quality/ Playfield/ Cabinet/Mechanics.
Thank you

Given that string, telling anyone else to "get it straight" is as hypocritical as it gets. (Though you ultimately ended up making the correct decision to wait on purchase)

Oh, and ABOBBILY BO BO, ABOBBILY BO.

#3502 6 years ago

That was before the code dropped. I still have the same feeling about the art . shots . music and theme. We did not know about the voice actors at that time.

So in light of this new information I have stated my opinions. Nothing has changed. Still great value for a pro.. look at may last few posts. Best for Operators in reference to the Return on investment.

Looking for something that is not there. I'm consistent with my posts. Position has never changed. I love all 3 manufactures. You don't like me I get it go away now.....

I do hope you get enough money together to go on your WrestleMania trip....

I hate to break it to you its not real... Please lets get back to the important topics. Thank you

For the record I'm still receiving my GOTGLE very soon. Never backing out on that holding on my order of pros until the code gets better. Same position...

and ABOBBILY BO BO, ABOBBILY BO to you Sir!

#3503 6 years ago

TWD is a great pin w/o actor call outs - the campy non-official call outs grow on you over time. “Yew got bit! Tew bad fer yew!” GOTG’s “Bobboli” is epic - I can’t wait!

#3504 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

hit a shot, get a satisfying sound effect/voice/light show choreography that makes you feel like an interactive part of the license. This game doesn't seem to do that. Modes are just "fake movie running" & hit the lit shots. There's no connective tissue.

At least SW DOES do this. If you make bad shots, you get called out for it too.

Rob

#3505 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Yes it's ridiculous to expect a 5400 game to have the sound rights to the movie theme it is based on . I can go to any toy store and find a star lord doll (erhm, I mean action figure) that has quotes from the movies installed in it. If they are going to keep raising prices then they had better use some of that money to make complete games. There are lots of options these days and more and more people are not going to settle for a game just because it's new.

Action figures are one thing; but for JJP to have had the same problem with Pirates, the issue has to be with full video clips. I have no idea what the workaround was for SW, but I'd guess the studios license this stuff around dvd/bluray rights strangely.

#3506 6 years ago

For me GOTG looks ok. The art and layout looks good. My standards for license and code are just higher than Stern is capable of delivering in a movie theme. The get it right for music themed pins I love my AC/DC. I'm sorry but this is just not good enough for me in 2017. The audio and video need to be tight, the code is just no where near what I expect in 2017. I do make video games for a living and deal with licensing all the time. Granted we don't pay for a half a license if we do the game we get what we need to make a great game.

With rumors of Pulp Fiction coming can you imagine if they use voice actors for Samuel Jackson, it will be horrible. Pay the license or don't do the pin. At least not for home buyers. On route this seems good enough just not for personal use.

#3507 6 years ago

Let's say....theoretically...that I've never seen the movies. Would I notice the call outs weren't from the real actors

They still suck or acceptable then?

#3508 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Would I notice the call outs weren't from the real actors

Depends on who they used. Stern did a good job with POTC except Elizabeth.

When having a great game and in the heat of the moment, does anybody really worry about the voices used ?

LTG : )

#3509 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Depends on who they used. Stern did a good job with POTC except Elizabeth.
When having a great game and in the heat of the moment, does anybody really worry about the voices used ?
LTG : )

If it's a Zizzle I picked up at a garage sale for $10, nope. But a game I just spent $7,000 on? You better believe it.

#3510 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

In total, what are we all having issues with?
Price? I agree prices are becoming silly, but pro price still gives you more in a machine than other new pins at that price point.
Code? Again I agree they are slacking on delivering timely code. However, this machine has eight modes that are all challenging to complete, two fun multiballs (would love to see them stackable), and two wizard modes.
Callouts? Would love to hear the actual film voices, but if licensing is an issue their hands are tied. They could possibly have paid a lesser known actor to do callouts which would be great, but doesn’t look like the film audio would be there regardless.
Music? Cmon, the music is awesome. They just need to code them in better spots. I don’t hear them much because when a mode is over I start another.
Build quality? Jury is out on this machine. My machine is looking good so far.

Honestly my biggest issue is only 2 songs (or even if they change to 4) This movie is all about music and the soundtrack. Why skimp here? I would hope code would be fixed, and in some cases, it has been, but we also know other titles never got what they should have. I just wish Stern would follow JJP's protocol for code and NOT cutting corners. They tend to get the best titles (something I wish JJP could get) yet they cut WAY more corners than any JJP I've seen or owned so far.

#3511 6 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I do not disagree with you. I'm hoping this title can be saved with some additional work in the near future. Here's hoping they respond. Collective complaints of no songs... Songs added. Complaints of no call outs... speech added quickly. Maybe secure one original actor (like Hudson in GB or Urban in ST) for custom call outs? Make it more cohesive and interactive? Can't hurt!

I've seen this "show" too many times, I know how it turns out. When they licensed stuff from Marvel, the same guy or guys do the "approved voices" every time. The same "actors" do the voices in Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man VE, and now GOTG. You can tell, it's the same flat acting & bad impressions in every game...same dude(s). For whatever reason, this is the only thing Marvel allows for pinball. It's not going to change, they're not getting any real actors or good sound alikes. It's done. That's what this game is going to sound like. A bobbalee bobo. Forever.

Quoted from westofrome:

Was RGP this mad about fake Keanu and Ice T callouts on JM? They always cracked me up, actually. Adds to the kitsch factor.

Of course not, as that was even at launch a horrible movie that no one cared about. And as far as the used collector market goes, JM was a $600-$800 game for the longest time due to it being a theme no one cared about. At that price, no one cares about the fake voices.

For a new game with LCD and art featuring all the real actors and dubbing entire SCENES with a horrible non-actor isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as JM.

#3512 6 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

What is jarring to me is that the movie clips just play out regardless of what is happening on the playfield. This works for a music pin, which can just play a song in the background as you play through a mode but it is not the same for a movie-based game.

Good observation. This is the issue. As I said before, they need still frames or animation spliced with movie scencs to integrate the game play with the video. This is just lazy and unenthusiastic.

#3513 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Good observation. This is the issue.

2nd that. What makes WoZ so visually pleasing during gameplay is 4-way split screen with what's not much more than animated screensavers, and only when you trigger an event, do you get an animation that's pertinent to the objective you just reached.

Also I'll admit after watching the streams of GOTG to date, the transitions from clips have the same awkward "pause and jump" at the end of them, like minor league baseball teams have on their jumbo-trons. Like when the DH is coming to the plate and then the jumbo-tron shows the Rob Schneider "You cahn do eeeet!" clip, but then it pauses on his dumb face for like a half second and then just goes back to the scores... that's what the GOTG clips look like at the moment.

IMO GOTG should have more of that "animated screensaver" feel for all play except brief, one-time cutscenes. When you start a mode you get the opening scene (and then back to the animated screensaver for that mode), and when you make progress you get the following scenes (and then back to screensaver), and then the end scene upon completion (guess what next). But only show those clips once, no loops! The loops and terrible transitions are going to make the LCD feel completely useless.

#3514 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, when it's jarring and oft-putting, absolutely. The horrible voices RUINED X-Men for me & others. One of the reasons people love games like MM, AFM, and MB so much - great voice acting & funny clips. Imagine if they didn't use funny Second City comedians for MM, but just some rando who can't act. The game couldn't be as fun or quotable.

Honestly, MOST pins with voices from the 80's on up have had well done music & voice calls, so most of us haven't had to "worry" about the audio being a detriment...there aren't that many that are remembered for being jarringly bad until recently. 24 was probably the first Stern to have "WTF" level of voice acting, although to their credit they DID use a real actor from the show...she was just an awful fit for the game.

#3515 6 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone for the laughs, the last 5 pages were hilarious.

#3516 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the laughs, the last 5 pages were hilarious.

Bobbity BO BO!

#3517 6 years ago

Say what you want about Ghostbusters....but there is a theme fully implemented.

Hundreds of audio clips from the movies, and Ernie Hudson doing custom call-outs.

Stern proves it can be done. Stern should accept no less or walk away.....or we will.

#3518 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Hundreds of audio clips from the movies, and Ernie Hudson doing custom call-outs.
Stern proves it can be done. Stern should accept no less or walk away.....or we will.

Yep.

And although it doesn’t fit the narrative of the bashers, BM66 is full blown content with Adam West and Burt Ward

So let’s not get carried away here. It is what it is

#3519 6 years ago
Quoted from jarch:

TWD is a great pin w/o actor call outs - the campy non-official call outs grow on you over time.

when I had my TWDLE I couldn't stand the hillbilly, turned him down to where he was inaudible but I just got a Pre back in the house and for some reason it isn't bothering me, did they tone it down in the code or something? I never saw final code with my LE, not saying I love it or even like it but something has changed and it can't be me.

#3520 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The theme is great - but what is it about the theme that is great? The chraracters, the personality, the humor, and comedic timing. All of that has been stripped from the game by the horrible re-dub & the "non-interactive soundbed" concept. Unfortunately since they borrowed the code from two music games, they're using "movie scene running" as a mode instead of "song running". It doesn't work. The reason previous mode/story games work is the Pavlovian effect - hit a shot, get a satisfying sound effect/voice/light show choreography that makes you feel like an interactive part of the license. This game doesn't seem to do that. Modes are just "fake movie running" & hit the lit shots. There's no connective tissue.
My constructive criticism would be just to go back to doing what they did best....and don't agree to a license if they won't supply the important assets essential to the license.

You nailed it. The greatest things about GotG movies are the music and the witty jokes, particularly Rocket and Drax. Clueless Stern has butchered both so far. I don’t think there’s a way to recover to greatness without them....or Lyman. Even Pinball Browser can’t replace Lonnie.

#3521 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

when I had my TWDLE I couldn't stand the hillbilly, turned him down to where he was inaudible but I just got a Pre back in the house and for some reason it isn't bothering me, did they tone it down in the code or something? I never saw final code with my LE, not saying I love it or even like it but something has changed and it can't be me.

Just just Clelands update. A few others have done it too

#3522 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I hear ya there and think that is one of the reasons why Ghostbusters is one of Sterns best. It truly offers a world under glass feeling and the actor callouts + Ernie Hudson custom callouts make the game standout.

Without the original actor voices and Ernie Hudson custom callouts I wouldn't have bought the game. There is no Ghsotbusters in my book without Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray, etc.

I just can't see spending $5500-$12500 (including JJP prices in range) on NIB games that lack the original voices. I can see playing such games on location but not buying the game for my home. If I'm going to spend that type of money on a movie or show themed game it needs to have the original actor audio.

I'm still on the fence about JJP's Pirates as JJP did get Kevin McNally for custom callouts and is doing some great creative animation, audio and editing work to make up for there being no film actor audio. Still, the game will lack the humor and lines that Johnny Depps portraly of Jack Sparrow provides which is a huge part of the film's.

#3523 6 years ago

Elvira is another that could really knock theme integration out of the park. Hopefully she records not only tons of callouts, but video of her on the red couch making quips. She still looks great, and in makeup it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

And I'm sure it's cheap to license out some Z grade horror clips.

I'm hard pressed to see how that license integration could go south.

#3524 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Elvira is another that could really knock theme integration out of the park. ...
I'm hard pressed to see how that license integration could go south.

Don't worry. Stern will manage to screw it up somehow.

#3526 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don't worry. Stern will manage to screw it up somehow.

Heaven forbid......

#3527 6 years ago

"how could this game ship without callouts, this is bullcrap. anything would be better than this. just give us callouts stern."

*gives callouts*

"NOT THESE CALLOUTS."

#3528 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I believe somewhere around the midpoint of active code updates there were new callouts (with less hillbilly) and a tuning of when they fire. The real key with TWD is the use of the opening theme from the TV show. That's what makes the audio package really come together. It's unrelenting - I love it.

#3529 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

"how could this game ship without callouts, this is bullcrap. anything would be better than this. just give us callouts stern."
*gives callouts*
"NOT THESE CALLOUTS."

Don't do dis. Don't poke that bear.

#3530 6 years ago

So I was going through the options and found 2 new multiball modes....MWM and Guardians...idk what those are. Maybe they're the wizard modes code names or something.

#3531 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm with you. When you've got movies with hundreds of great call outs to pull from you use them. It's friggin common sense. IM, GB and SW got it right. WTH happened with Avengers and Guardians? All the personality I love from the Guardians movies has been stripped away.

The first person to fix the Guardians songs and call outs in Pinball Browser will be a hero.

#3532 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm with you. When you've got movies with hundreds of great call outs to pull from you use them. It's friggin common sense. IM, GB and SW got it right. WTH happened with Avengers and Guardians? All the personality I love from the Guardians movies has been stripped away.
The first person to fix the Guardians songs and call outs in Pinball Browser will be a hero.

We all know that's going to happen sooner rather than later. Shit, I'd do it NOW if I were familiar with Pinball browser or whatever it is that's used.

#3533 6 years ago

Yeah I'm not worried...I know some people who know some people who...

#3534 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

He probably did, but that's not me.
I hate this. Some pins like Shrek had voice actors but easy call outs to mimic/create.
GOTG is insulting. I don't even like the not having the score/clips for JJP Pirates, but at least there are Gibbs callouts (really there should be more for $9-10K).

I know. My comment was a joke that some folks did not get it.
Anyway, I agree with you.

#3535 6 years ago

Did you end up canceling your order IdahoRealtor or are you staying put?

#3536 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Here are my opinions:
Groot: Like you said, easy. I think they did great.
Rocket: Sounds like Bender -- I love it. Agree with rasp.
Quill: Needs a lot of work, but it is what it is.
Gamora: Pretty damn good!
Drax: Workable..needs more "sarcasm" misunderstanding
Nebula: Sounds great!
Yondu: I LOVE THIS MORE THAN THE ENTIRE GAME ITSELF
Ronan: I have mixed feelings on Ronan..I don't even know how to explain them.
Thanos: I didn't even notice him
Broker: Very good. Should've gotten wheatley.
Either way, if you're complaining about the voice acting, I feel bad for ya son. I got 99 problems and voice acting ain't one(An addiction to trading pins, however..). I think they did well. There's room for improvement, but they certainly don't make the game unplayable, nor ruin it. They DO, however, need to be constrained to shots/events...and not just play whenever.

Them playing whenever is a mess. I think the code is a mess at this point. I'm really torn on if I take a loss and sell now.

Can it be saved? Anyone want it for 5200?

#3537 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Anyone want it for 5200?

After watching last night...

#3538 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Them playing whenever is a mess. I think the code is a mess at this point. I'm really torn on if I take a loss and sell now.
Can it be saved? Anyone want it for 5200?

Think you are going to lose more than that to take out of the box

May be a good time to pick one up. I picked up both Metallica and TWD before the good code finally dropped, everyone thought both these were turds and now look!

#3539 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

*gives callouts*
"NOT THESE CALLOUTS."

pinside (resized).jpgpinside (resized).jpg

#3540 6 years ago

So talked with the kids and wife last night. We've been looking forward to playing GOTG and then probably pick one up (you know trying to play before buying). However, I dislike the voice overs (won't even call them callouts), and really dislike how a mode is just the video of the game running in the background with no real interaction with the player for shots, callouts, mode progression etc. So, we're out for now and will reconsider it later on after the code is more complete. I was expecting some sort of funny sarcastic in your face sort of game and it just isn't.

For the record, we're having a blast with SW and AS and still like our GB (glad it's not our only game though). I'm hopeful GOTG gets there, but for now I don't see what it would add to our collection.

#3541 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I dislike the voice overs (won't even call them callouts)

Bingo. Those aren't callouts any more than song lyrics are callouts in Metallica/Kiss/etc. Needs like, actual pinball-related voice clips that occur when you make shots, tilt, drain, etc.

Also, I'm already sick of hearing the first few bars of those two soundtracks songs. At least skip to the "hooked on a feeling" part of Hooked on a Feeling. That intro is an annoying novelty that sounds good once a year, not three times a game.

#3542 6 years ago

ABOBBILY BO BO, ABOBBILY BO

Could this end up being one of THE most classic pinball call outs of all time?

cropped-so-bad-its-good1 (resized).pngcropped-so-bad-its-good1 (resized).png

#3543 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

ABOBBILY BO BO, ABOBBILY BO
Could this end up being one of THE most classic pinball call outs of all time?

Let's get a petition going to make abobbily bo bo the best callout in all of Pinball.

#3544 6 years ago

Really wanted this , enjoyed the movie, but LE pricing is crazy. Changed to premium , then watched multiple streams,
and decided to pass. This could have been great.

#3545 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Let's get a petition going to make abobbily bo bo the best callout in all of Pinball.

already is

#3546 6 years ago

How does Pinball Browser work with the LED? Are the video and audio files always separate, so that you could just swap the sound that plays alongside a particular video clip? Or is the "replacement dialog" embedded in the video clip, so you'd need to replace the entire thing to get the movie sound in?

#3547 6 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Really wanted this , enjoyed the movie, but LE pricing is crazy. Changed to premium , then watched multiple streams,
and decided to pass. This could have been great.

Do not fall for the crap on Pinside! Why let the few take away the pleasure from many? If you are going to get a premium, play it yourself and then decide. You have plenty of time. If I believed all the BS on this site we would not own any Sterns. My wife is not on Pinside and loves Stern. Plenty of happy flipping going on at our place. No regrets!

#3548 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Did you end up canceling your order norcalrealtor or are you staying put?

My distributor agreed to hold it for a moment while I decide. Very cool dude. I'm heading to San Fran to play one today and I'll know what to do after that. Plan B is to buy BM 66 instead.

P.s. Funny thing is even with the early code and Stern shitting the bed on the sound package I still think Guardians will outearn BM 66 on theme alone, but I don't like how they handled this one.

#3549 6 years ago

I have 32 Sterns, this one from what I watched is a complete letdown.

#3550 6 years ago

Plan B is to buy BM 66 instead.

If you play Batman with the .83 code, Plan A doesn't stand a chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.