1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 86.
#3851 1 year ago

Part of the bobalee bo bo gag is how terribly they recreated the scene. In the movie he's not so forcefully saying it, and the totally went heavy handed with the delivery in the pin. It loses all its feeling and just turns straight obnoxious. It also plays way, way too much.

#3852 1 year ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Installed last night and played a few games on the new 0.73 code;
- A lot of movies lines re-done by sound-alikes.
EV

Turrible!

Having the actual movie clips with lines redone is just horrible. Was looking forward to playing one on location now it doesn't even seem worth the drive to try.

#3853 1 year ago

I'm ok with voice actors. Often times you end up with a license having variations with character voices and likenesses between movies, TV shows, comics, animation, etc. What they need to do is make the callouts more indicative of what's going on, however. We need more "shoot the left ramp" lines and less unrelated voice clips.

The game is still a ways away from 1.0. There's a lot of refining to do on the sound package.

#3854 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

Part of the bobalee bo bo gag is how terribly they recreated the scene. In the movie he's not so forcefully saying it, and the totally went heavy handed with the delivery in the pin. It loses all its feeling and just turns straight obnoxious. It also plays way, way too much.

Have they fixed it in the newest code released?

#3855 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I've heard it's the same. I'm seriously ok with it, because I think it will be toned down at some point. They have changed sounds up before Remember Mustang's horses?

#3856 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Don't know about earlier versions, but on v0.73, the "boobily boo" callout only happens during Yaka Arrow mode (as it should).

So far, the best sound alike is Nebula. She's pretty spot on. Worst? Ronan (during Knowhere). Sounds nothing like Lee Pace.

Later,
EV

#3857 1 year ago

There's just a HUGE difference in using voice actors for a single callout vs. recreation of an entire movie scene. It really exposes mediocre soundalikes.

#3858 1 year ago

I just cant believe how uneccessary complicated the license world is. Why do they even have to bother selling license for a movie clip without voices? Why would including the actual audio to a movie clip cost so much more??

Sigh

#3859 1 year ago

Tried some games on 0.73. Things seems better organized at least.

We have had a groot mouth issue since 0.72 though, sometimes he cant manage to open his jaw fully so its impossible to start mb/lock balls. I tried disabling groot mouth in settings, thinking this would make it virtual, but it did exactly what it said... turned it off
Aka you can lock balls virtually but never start mb, since to start mb you have to shoot the ball into his mouth... disapointing.

#3860 1 year ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I just cant believe how uneccessary complicated the license world is. Why do they even have to bother selling license for a movie clip without voices? Why would including the actual audio to a movie clip cost so much more??
Sigh

The reason probably isn't the cost of audio, it's the need of unique call outs. Having two different voices to do call outs and do movie clips would be worse than just doing full voice-overs. Just a guess.

#3861 1 year ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Tried some games on 0.73. Things seems better organized at least.
We have had a groot mouth issue since 0.72 though, sometimes he cant manage to open his jaw fully so its impossible to start mb/lock balls. I tried disabling groot mouth in settings, thinking this would make it virtual, but it did exactly what it said... turned it off
Aka you can lock balls virtually but never start mb, since to start mb you have to shoot the ball into his mouth... disapointing.

The mouth issue sounds likely to be a switch that needs adjusting, but I have not seen a diagram of the part. Usually with a part like that there is an up switch and a down switch to sense the part is fully up or fully down. If the switch is too sensitive it will not go as far as it should.

#3862 1 year ago

Id bet the voice actors are due to cost cutting as someone else here mentioned there are cheap toys you can find in stores with audio of the movie.

#3863 1 year ago
Quoted from PW79:

Id bet the voice actors are due to cost cutting as someone else here mentioned there are cheap toys you can find in stores with audio of the movie.

Cost might be the cause. Lets build a thousand pinball machines. Let's build a million toys.

I bet toys gets cheaper spread over so many units.

LTG : )

#3864 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Cost might be the cause. Lets build a thousand pinball machines. Let's build a million toys.
I bet toys gets cheaper spread over so many units.

I hear ya.

But a $20 doll vs $7Kish game...

Im not even sure if my comment was accurate as I was just paraphrasing someone elses theory.

#3865 1 year ago

are the callouts really going to make the game not fun or something?
you guys are funny.

obviously it would be better if they got a real voice actor, but it's not that big of a deal.
They probably just aren't selling enough of them to justify the cost.

#3866 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

you guys are funny.
obviously it would be better if they got a real voice actor, but it's not that big of a deal.

Yes, crappy callouts will make it not fun in a home use environment if you are a big fan of the theme. If you don't care about the theme or the game will be on location, then it doesn't matter.

Would you care if your favorite A list actor in your favorite movie were instead played by some other B list star?
Would you care if your favorite song by your favorite band was sung by a tribute band but still charged the same amount for a concert ticket?
Would you care if your favorite science fiction movie from 2017 used special effects from the 1960's?
Would you care if your favorite micro brew was replaced with a bud light?

#3867 1 year ago
Quoted from PW79:

But a $20 doll vs $7Kish game...

700K vs 20Million. That's a 19,300,000.00 difference.

19 million gives you a bigger budget to build.

#3868 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

The reason probably isn't the cost of audio, it's the need of unique call outs. Having two different voices to do call outs and do movie clips would be worse than just doing full voice-overs. Just a guess.

I'm going to not go out on a limb and say this: It's ALWAYS money. Always.

#3869 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

No, Star Wars is clearly an example of mixing the two. It would not be worse. Instead, you just have one or two characters do custom callouts or some B list person that doesn't cost a fortune do the callouts (like Star Wars).

#3870 1 year ago

I got to play Guardians today! Badbrick and I went and checked it out. It was still on the pre-callout code 0.6whatever.

The game shoots and feels really nice. The artwork is fantastic. Christopher Franchi did a great job bringing it all to life. The ramps are super satisfying, and the Rocket kickback is thrilling/scary every time it fires. It comes back so fast! It's very reminiscent of the Yagov kickback on F-14.

Does the code need work, absolutely, but it still works really well even on this early code. If they keep improving the code like I hope they will, this is going to be a great game.

I was worried that playing it would completely disappoint me and turn me off from buying it, but that's so far from the case.

#3871 1 year ago

I played guardians of the galaxy today for the first time . I have to say it was new out-of-the-box code but I had a blast . I put about 25 games on it. Great time.

Also played Pirates of the Caribbean .

Good day!

#3872 1 year ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Yes, crappy callouts will make it not fun in a home use environment if you are a big fan of the theme. If you don't care about the theme or the game will be on location, then it doesn't matter.
Would you care if your favorite A list actor in your favorite movie were instead played by some other B list star?

personally, no it's not that big of a deal to me. Yeah it's a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker. Think it's a pretty small aspect, in the grand scheme.
Probably steer clear of buying it, if it is to you.

I still have fun playing TWD without modifying the voices.
I could understand if it was a theme you really, really liked. To me it's just pinball with a different story.
A downside to licensed games is that your not going to meet everyone's expectations with what should have been.

as for the science fiction question, yeah that would suck.
I'm not a bud light fan either.

#3873 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

personally, no it's not that big of a deal to me. Yeah it's a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker. Think it's a pretty small aspect, in the grand scheme.
Probably steer clear of buying it, if it is to you.
I still have fun playing TWD without modifying the voices.
I could understand if it was a theme you really, really liked. To me it's just pinball with a different story.
A downside to licensed games is that your not going to meet everyone's expectations with what should have been.
as for the science fiction question, yeah that would suck.
I'm not a bud light fan either.

And I have Avengers. I like the game enough to have kept it for the last 4 years, but every time I play it I notice the lousy voice actors and it takes away from the experience vs. if it was original actors or dialogue from the actual movie.

#3874 1 year ago

Finally played it on location today with the latest code. (Thanks norcalrealtor) There's still a disconnect between the LCD, theme, and what you're doing on the playfield. Hearing lines from the movie script while seeing some other video on the screen while hitting the ball around to complete a mode ... just doesn't gel well together right now.

That said, though the shots are tight, they feel satisfying when you hit them. I'm digging the layout. Artwork is awesome. Groot head/mouth/lock/multiball is a nice gimmick, as is the playfield magnet.

After my short 6 game session, I was pleasantly surprised. While still a bit disjointed, it's definitely not as bad as everyone was making it out to be. (Maybe because of the latest code? I dunno.)

My takeaway? Not worth a buy for a home collection at this moment, but not bad either. I'll be watching (and playing on location) as the code progresses... Keeping it on the "maybe" list for now.

#3875 1 year ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

you guys are funny.

Doesn't ruin the fun but it'll factor in if I'm going to spend $0.50 or $6000.

#3876 1 year ago

I saw this on my FB today and it made me think of you guys who own the game. Not sure if it would even work as a mod as I still have yet to see and play one, but you never know. All the best.

AAA17B53-C0F5-4524-8E13-413B65CD2A1E (resized).png

#3877 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

700K vs 20Million. That's a 19,300,000.00 difference.
19 million gives you a bigger budget to build.

Surely Stern would have to budget at least 2000 units. Let's say average sell at retail of $6000 = $12m.

That's the same as 600000 * $20 toys.

Can't comment on $20 toy margins vs Stern margins, but the licensing budgets of either shouldn't be too far apart.

#3878 1 year ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

When you think that Tarantino is the most over-rated director of all time, and have never made it through any of his movies they're so dreadful, even though you've tried to sit through several (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, etc.)

I think this is probably the first time I've ever given you a thumbs down, but you simply left me no choice with this one ...

#3879 1 year ago

Well. Besides Pulp Fiction his efforts haven't exactly been Citizen Kane grade.

#3880 1 year ago
Quoted from jefryan:

I saw this on my FB today and it made me think of you guys who own the game. Not sure if it would even work as a mod as I still have yet to see and play one, but you never know. All the best.

For all that is sacred and holy please don’t put a flower pot in your pinball machine.

#3881 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Kind of agree. I'm probably alone in this but I think Death Proof is super underrated and one of his better films along with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Rest of his work is hit or miss.

#3882 1 year ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have 32 Sterns, this one from what I watched is a complete letdown.

Play your 32 machine's and wait a month for the code.

#3883 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hes smart, he kinda stole a whole bunch of styles from euro films to kung fu and film noir then put them all together with a little bit of overkill to shock people and it worked. Pulp Fiction as a pinball machine to me sounds ridiculous but then again my top pick for a pin title is Robocop based on 1 and 2, need the Nuke, need it. I also hold Robocop in the same regard as Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Z, 3 of my favorite films. GOTG plays really nice I hope Stern doesn't kill it with terrible voice work but I have a feeling once code matures someone will make a version with movie dialog and many added songs, hopefully a Slayer version like TWD.

#3884 1 year ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Turrible!
Having the actual movie clips with lines redone is just horrible. Was looking forward to playing one on location now it doesn't even seem worth the drive to try.

newest code is now playable (and hints that it could turn out good)

I suggest cancelling basketball this weekend and bring the family to Madison for TNA launch party and then swing to Schwoegs and check it out

#3885 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I think this is probably the first time I've ever given you a thumbs down, but you simply left me no choice with this one ...

No worries. I know my opinion of ol' Quentin is not common. Just totally not my cup of tea.

Later,
EV

#3886 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Just out of curiosity I would love to hear a director that you feel all their work is on Citizen Kane level, even the rest of Orson Welles movies are not on that level.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Hes smart, he kinda stole a whole bunch of styles from euro films to kung fu and film noir then put them all together with a little bit of overkill to shock people and it worked. Pulp Fiction as a pinball machine to me sounds ridiculous but then again my top pick for a pin title is Robocop based on 1 and 2, need the Nuke, need it. I also hold Robocop in the same regard as Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Z, 3 of my favorite films. GOTG plays really nice I hope Stern doesn't kill it with terrible voice work but I have a feeling once code matures someone will make a version with movie dialog and many added songs, hopefully a Slayer version like TWD.

Paul Verhoeven is the man.

Sorry I'll let this get back on topic.

#3887 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can't comment on $20 toy margins vs Stern margins, but the licensing budgets of either shouldn't be too far apart.

Many, many moons ago, I worked for a company that made kids PJ's. They were all licensed (GI Joe, NFL, that type of thing). US based manufacturing and screen printing. I was amazed when I first saw the cost breakout. The t-shirt cost nothing, it was the check to the NFL that was the big ticket item. Seems like a plastic toy is the same...especially when it has such a low labor content and is made outside the USA. I could see the license being the largest single expense of a toy. Given the cost of components, higher USA-based labor content and add to that the fact that a pinball machine costing model also has to 'carry' the on-going maintenance and support expense and I suspect margins are not very similar.

#3888 1 year ago
Quoted from PW79:

Here is a "cheap toy" I found at my local Best Buy. Licensed and all. Really looks like baby groot eh?

IMG_4866 (resized).PNG

#3889 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That's true...he did rip off the HK movie "City on Fire" story outline. Good on you for knowing that bit of trivia. Anyway, I actually really liked Res Dogs. That and Pulp Fiction are the only discs I have at home. The story was Tarantino was a video store clerk in L.A. and he used to watch all the HK action flicks while he was at work.

#3890 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Here is a "cheap toy" I found at my local Best Buy. Licensed and all. Really looks like baby groot eh?

That toy looks as much like baby groot as the voice call outs sound like the original actors.

#3891 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Just out of curiosity I would love to hear a director that you feel all their work is on Citizen Kane level, even the rest of Orson Welles movies are not on that level.

Paul Verhoeven is the man.
Sorry I'll let this get back on topic.

Ahh..I was just making a point. Orson Wells was a freaking genius and to be honest, CK is considered great because of its technical mastery and a great plot for its time. If you get a chance you should watch his interview with Dick Cavett. As far as geniuses go, I do like Wes Anderson's movies a lot. I think he deserves a lot more credit for his work. I can watch "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and The Grand Budapest Hotel 100 times and not get bored.

#3892 1 year ago

I personally like the ECC Groot....

187ff2ab338beff72fe113abb92ec8ef (resized).jpg

#3893 1 year ago

This was $16 when I bought it. Looks decent in person and would make a good topper item. Not as big as a full width topper but it's not tiny so it looked pretty good on one of my other pins (I don't have GOTG yet) if you put it on one side/front corner of the top.

amazon.com link »

pasted_image (resized).png

#3894 1 year ago

This game is hella fun and can be pretty brutal. Ive been able to put another lengthy session on it, with what I believe to be the latest code, although not sure about that. I like the game. Pumped in lots of $, with that “one more game” feeling.

I don’t really know the rules -but I basically know the rules to Aerosmith, but it doesn’t feel like playing AS - so it’s still “ hit the blinking lights”. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of “theme integration”. I agree that it’s just different scenes repeating as you play the modes. But for now it doesn’t bother me.

I said this in another post (after the first time I played it) and I’ll say it again: unless you are a hard core GOTG fan, the voices shouldn’t be a big deal. I saw the movie once, and I can’t tell. I probably couldn’t identify who is who if the real actors we’re doing the voices. Nothing seems out of place except maybe the infamous Abobbily bobo. Looking at this from another angle, I don’t put GOTG in the same category as The Avengers, who are so damn iconic, especially with Robert Downey Jr. as IM, and Samuel Jackson, and Scarlett etc.

I don’t think the voices should sink this pin. Crappy rules could do it.

And Stern, if you’re listening: add more soundtrack tunes!

#3895 1 year ago

Updated the code tonight and for a few games afterwards it was mixing up the modes, ex; pod escape on the screen, antiquities store audio and playfield lights, very strange. After a few restarts it seemed to be OK, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

As for the update, there was definitely improvement, but the bad voice work is still that, and until that changes(which isn't likely), this pin will never reach it's full potential. A real shame, as it does shoot well, and there looks like real potential for a good ruleset.

I will say this though, even in it's current state, I'll take it hands down over the SW Prem that it was sitting next too, that's a game I don't think anything can save!

#3896 1 year ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

this pin will never reach it's full potential

That depends on how critical you are, for many it is already getting there. You could argue that every game ever made never met it's 'full' potential. Sounds and call outs can be fixed easily with future code updates, the layout and mechanics are solid on this one.

Quoted from dgpinball:

I'll take it hands down over the SW Prem that it was sitting next too, that's a game I don't think anything can save!

Well my Star Wars LE blows away GOTG and I would sell my GOTG way before my SW LE. I think you need to get some more time on SW. It is an awesome game, GOTG is a good game but Star Wars is a fantastic game!

#3897 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That depends on how critical you are, for many it is already getting there. You could argue that every game ever made never met it's 'full' potential. Sounds and call outs can be fixed easily with future code updates, the layout and mechanics are solid on this one.

Well my Star Wars LE blows away GOTG and I would sell my GOTG way before my SW LE. I think you need to get some more time on SW. It is an awesome game, GOTG is a good game but Star Wars is a fantastic game!

I have to agree with you. I’m going to be pretty happy if GOTG turns out as good as SW, and this is coming from a guy that isn’t a SW fan in the least. SW isn’t a bad game at all I don’t think.

#3898 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Comparing a SWLE to a GOTG pro I would think is a bit of a disadvantage. With LE’s shipping next week I would be curious to see people’s opinions.

Can’t wait to get mine on Tuesday!

#3899 1 year ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

As for the update, there was definitely improvement, but the bad voice work is still that, and until that changes(which isn't likely), this pin will never reach it's full potential. A real shame, as it does shoot well, and there looks like real potential for a good ruleset.
I will say this though, even in it's current state, I'll take it hands down over the SW Prem that it was sitting next too, that's a game I don't think anything can save!

Hopefully the talented pinside coders will fix GOTG with real voice clips from the films and well placed use of the music, and by that I mean not during modes or multi's. SW is a great pin I hope you eventually discover that or its just not for you and never will be, I have that with Tron.

#3900 1 year ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Comparing a SWLE to a GOTG pro I would think is a bit of a disadvantage. With LE’s shipping next week I would be curious to see people’s opinions.
Can’t wait to get mine on Tuesday!

I don't own either game and have no allegiances but have played about 25 games on .72 software on GOTG and we'll over 100 games of SW Pro at the same location and at this point SW blows it out of the water! GOTG has potential but I really think SW Pro is an underrated game and a lot of fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside