(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,748 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8343 (resized).jpg
IMG_8340 (resized).jpg
IMG_8342 (resized).jpg
IMG_8344 (resized).jpg
IMG_8338 (resized).jpg
IMG_8337 (resized).jpg
c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
There are 4,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 95.
#4001 2 years ago

Quick Pinsound questions. What is the filename of the original sounds for the DESW? And, once I get all of the packages that I want, do I just move the zip file to my USB?

#4002 2 years ago

Quick question, I got a new plastic set and found a piece I didn’t have before under the double bank hard target. After putting the new socket holder on the top plastic it seems not to fit now. Can anyone tell me if I have the wrong one or show me a picture of how it should look/be?

B2B1A051-A353-4BC1-B56E-55895EFF0219.jpegB2B1A051-A353-4BC1-B56E-55895EFF0219.jpeg
#4003 2 years ago

Enki
You are missing two hex standoff's...
Check this picture carefully:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4004 2 years ago

Sorry wrong pic. I have the standoffs. The lamp doesn’t seem right to me since I can’t get the top plastic on. I’m guessing the small plastic I didn’t have goes there but now the too piece with the lamp won’t fit?

75449813-EEAA-4F50-95E5-331F20132621.jpeg75449813-EEAA-4F50-95E5-331F20132621.jpeg
#4005 2 years ago
Quoted from Enki:

Sorry wrong pic. I have the standoffs. The lamp doesn’t seem right to me since I can’t get the top plastic on. I’m guessing the small plastic I didn’t have goes there but now the too piece with the lamp won’t fit?
[quoted image]

Design change... The middle piece is removed.
Again, look at the picture submitted.
Side note:
Flasher/Bright lamp and GI lamp where to be fastened under the playfield.
Checkout the odd cutout behind the center spot targets #2 & #3.

#4006 2 years ago

Ok thanks, I’ll try to fasten it under the play field. Cheers

1 week later
#4007 2 years ago

edt: i must have just been delusional

#4008 2 years ago

Did the music sound like this?

#4009 2 years ago

I installed a Pinsound this week (thanks @jedimastermatt) and loaded a few sound packages. I am very pleased. First, for the first time in nearly 25 years no "Data East hum." Second, the sound packages are just wonderful. Many thanks to all of those folks that have put these together. Adding the headphone station makes it easy to cycle through the packages. I even included the original sounds for when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Next up is a Color DMD.

#4010 2 years ago

Hello! I am new to the DESW family. This is my first pinball machine, a gift from mrs mcmnky. While showing its age, it is a beautiful machine in great working shape. (pics to come) I have a ton of questions, but will hold off for now, as I'm only about a third of the way through all the pages of this topic. (It seems each page of posts answers 1 question, while bringing up 2 more!) That is to say, this forum has already been so helpful. Cheers!

#4011 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

I am new to the DESW family.

Welcome. Don't feed your pinball machine after midnight. They have a tendency to multiply.

#4012 2 years ago

And if you feed them any lubricants they turn evil.

#4013 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Welcome. Don't feed your pinball machine after midnight. They have a tendency to multiply.

Quoted from oradke:

And if you feed them any lubricants they turn evil.

Thanks. I have a puppy named Gizmo, so those rules should easy to remember!

Got a few things done today.
1. Finished reading the 80 previous pages in this thread. So many posts and links saved. This is just the begining!
2. Ordered the v1.07 ROM (and paid tribute to Chad)
3. Had a drain down the right outlane so fast the ball made it over to the left side and was kicked back. Took me a few seconds to realize the ball was in play!
4. Took some pictures. Only thing I've done to it (other than play) was add the cup holder.

(BTW, I'm having trouble getting the back glass removed. This is going to be a major issue when the ROM arrives. If you have any ideas there's a thread going at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desw-help-removing-backglass )

_ps1 (resized).jpg_ps1 (resized).jpg_ps2 (resized).jpg_ps2 (resized).jpg_ps3 (resized).jpg_ps3 (resized).jpg_ps4 (resized).jpg_ps4 (resized).jpg_ps5 (resized).jpg_ps5 (resized).jpg_ps6 (resized).jpg_ps6 (resized).jpg
#4014 2 years ago

Where does DESW fall in the history of SW pins? I find there was an Empire Strikes Back game released in 1980, the Sonic SW in 87, then Data East in 92. Then I don't see anything until the late 90s. Did I miss any?

I'm surprised with how big the film was at the time there wasn't one for the first movie and not a release for Jedi. Just those 3 for the first 15 years?

#4015 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

Where does DESW fall in the history of SW pins? I find there was an Empire Strikes Back game released in 1980, the Sonic SW in 87, then Data East in 92. Then I don't see anything until the late 90s. Did I miss any?
I'm surprised with how big the film was at the time there wasn't one for the first movie and not a release for Jedi. Just those 3 for the first 15 years?

Thats all of them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine?token=&query=star+wars
Empire - https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2868

#4016 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

You missed Star Wars Trilogy Sega 1997

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/star-wars-trilogy

#4017 2 years ago

Recently I designed light saber-style lighted flippers for my Star Wars Data East for a fun effect. I think they will work on Stern's pinball machine also, I am planning to test that out. They install with no soldering fairly easily and I might make up some kits if anyone is interested. I worked hard to make the fitting, effect and brightness level to match seamlessly with the game.

Here's a photo and I posted videos of game play in another thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-light-saber-style-flippers

SW Flippers (resized).jpgSW Flippers (resized).jpg
#4018 2 years ago

Super Capers (2009)

0725210842~2 (resized).jpg0725210842~2 (resized).jpgRick-Dalton-Pointing-Is-a-New-Meme-Because-Thats-Where-We-Are (resized).jpgRick-Dalton-Pointing-Is-a-New-Meme-Because-Thats-Where-We-Are (resized).jpg
#4019 2 years ago

Inexpensive and fun mod for your SW DE:

I bought these Millenium Falcom, X-wing, Vader’s prototype ship and two Tie Fighters on Amazon. They are actually the game pieces for the Star Wars X-Wing board game. Altogether about 60. I used 12g aluminum wire to mount them to nearby screws. They are solid and stay put after lifting the playfield many times.

The position of the Millenium Falcon is perfect as when playing, the large worm on the playfield behind looks like it is reaching out for the ship. And of course the ships chasing each other on the loop before firing on the Death Star is fitting also.

AE9A148E-1FC6-4172-AD31-08ED9CF1D1DC (resized).jpegAE9A148E-1FC6-4172-AD31-08ED9CF1D1DC (resized).jpegC8A1E647-37DD-4AF0-8F33-3E42A2A37E32 (resized).jpegC8A1E647-37DD-4AF0-8F33-3E42A2A37E32 (resized).jpegCAC2A6D1-F5F8-4658-A350-94DEB4D0352B (resized).jpegCAC2A6D1-F5F8-4658-A350-94DEB4D0352B (resized).jpeg
#4020 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me the exact size of the translite please and also where is the best place to find the best reproduction ones out there. Thanks
Harley D.

#4021 2 years ago

I'm in the club!!! Scored this yesterday, excellent condition.
IMG-20210729-WA0008.jpgIMG-20210729-WA0008.jpg
20210729_202905.jpg20210729_202905.jpg

#4022 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Well done and welcome!

#4023 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeAction:

Inexpensive and fun mod for your SW DE:
I bought these Millenium Falcom, X-wing, Vader’s prototype ship and two Tie Fighters on Amazon

Looks really cool, is this it?

Screenshot_20210730-143123_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210730-143123_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#4024 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That’s a clean one for sure. Make sure you get the 1.07 ROM

#4025 2 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Looks really cool, is this it?
[quoted image]

Yes, that is it.

And there is a starter pack that contains an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters for about $20. Vader's ship which is the prototype Tie Fighter is then a third package on its own.

#4026 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

That’s a clean one for sure. Make sure you get the 1.07 ROM

Thanks. Already did! Ordered a ColorDMD as well. In the process of giving it a thorough cleaning and LED swap.

#4027 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeAction:

Yes, that is it.
And there is a starter pack that contains an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters for about $20. Vader's ship which is the prototype Tie Fighter is then a third package on its own.

As an aside, that starter pack is for a tabletop game that is very fun. Try it out.

#4028 2 years ago

Hey guys. I just grabbed my Star Wars but the death star target isn't dropping. The relay is clicking and the relay board seems okay. I can't move the target down by pressing on it, so I assume the motor is shot? Here's a few pics.
20210731_183515.jpg20210731_183515.jpg
20210731_142200.jpg20210731_142200.jpg
20210731_142521.jpg20210731_142521.jpg
20210731_142914.jpg20210731_142914.jpg

Can someone please post a pic of this switch by the motor? I think the one on the left is backwards. Wouldn't explain why it's not working, but I am guessing motor at this point.
20210731_190627.jpg20210731_190627.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

#4029 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Hey guys. I just grabbed my Star Wars but the death star target isn't dropping. The relay is clicking and the relay board seems okay. I can't move the target down by pressing on it, so I assume the motor is shot? Here's a few pics.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Can someone please post a pic of this switch by the motor? I think the one on the left is backwards. Wouldn't explain why it's not working, but I am guessing motor at this point.
[quoted image]
Thanks!

Reflow the pins on the relay, common failure point.

#4030 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Reflow the pins on the relay, common failure point.

Yes, I will do that. Thanks.

Would you be able to snap a pic of the left switch that I circled above? I believe it's upside down? Thanks again.

#4031 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

[quoted image]
Thanks!

Compare against this image:

#4032 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

[quoted image]

Thank you.

#4033 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

[quoted image]

Anybody ever start making the Death Star Gate assembly? Last time I checked it was Unobtainium

#4034 2 years ago

Anybody ever start making the Death Star Gate assembly? Last time I checked it was Unobtainium

I think you have to buy a three bank assembly and have it modified.

#4035 2 years ago

Are you talking about the part that holds the target and moves up and down? If so, the 3D print file is readily available.

#4036 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Are you talking about the part that holds the target and moves up and down? If so, the 3D print file is readily available.

Mine is a print and it wound up being significantly stronger than the original. I’m very happy with it.

#4037 2 years ago

Curious if folks ever get air balls going up the main ramp? And, has anyone fashioned any sort of protector? For some reason I have gotten more air balls in the last month than all the previous 25 years of ownership. Go figure.

#4038 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Curious if folks ever get air balls going up the main ramp? And, has anyone fashioned any sort of protector? For some reason I have gotten more air balls in the last month than all the previous 25 years of ownership. Go figure.

Check the ramp flap.

#4039 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Got a link?

#4041 2 years ago

OK so this is my first post on this forum (been lurking a few weeks). I have a DESW that I have owned since 1996. It's the only pinball machine I've ever owned. Boy have I been ignorant lol! I can't believe how much this hobby has evolved! My machine has not worked in nearly 20 years. Sheesh I remember trying to troubleshoot it myself and not being able to figure anything out. There was nothing on the internet at the time. But now it is just crazy with the amount of info on the internet about pinball, and even this particular machine! I mean seriously, there is an 81 pg thread about this particular machine lol. Are you kidding me!! So glad I started researching pinball repairs here recently and found all of this info. Actually what made me start to search is the way my 2.5 year old son always gravitates to this pinball machine. He always wants me to pick him up to see the playfield, and he say's "Star Wars" lol. I also showed him how the coins go in the slots, so he is always putting coins in and out. It's pretty cool.

I live in a small town, and the nearest techs are literally hours away, and none of them were interested in doing a house call. So I delved in. I just finished reading all 81 pages of this thread today. I've been taking tons of notes and saving many web links. Two weeks ago, I didn't even know there were batteries in this thing! Heck I had never opened the back glass section in the 25 years I've owned it! The machine has been indoors in an AC/heated home it's whole life. The original Panasonic batteries were still intact and there was no damage. The problem with the machine was that when you would turn it on, only some playfield and back glass/translite lights would come on and nothing else. I was able to find that the C2 capacitor on the power supply board had failed, and some of it's contents had leaked, halting the 5VDC. Ordered/installed a new Pintek board, and what do you know, the machine started up like normal!

So I am on my way now. I've been tearing down the playfield and cleaning it up (using Vid's guide), I have all new rubber, fuses, bulbs, balls, play field wax, etc. I have ordered some Cliffys (yes I had to google that to know what it meant), and have Chad's newest ROM on it's way from Matt's Basement Arcade. I want to say thanks to all you have contributed to this awesome thread. I will definitely be on here with some more questions very soon!

#4042 2 years ago
Quoted from ROMM:I will definitely be on here with some more questions very soon!

Godspeed!

#4043 2 years ago
Quoted from ROMM:

OK so this is my first post on this forum (been lurking a few weeks). I have a DESW that I have owned since 1996. It's the only pinball machine I've ever owned. Boy have I been ignorant lol! I can't believe how much this hobby has evolved! My machine has not worked in nearly 20 years. Sheesh I remember trying to troubleshoot it myself and not being able to figure anything out. There was nothing on the internet at the time. But now it is just crazy with the amount of info on the internet about pinball, and even this particular machine! I mean seriously, there is an 81 pg thread about this particular machine lol. Are you kidding me!! So glad I started researching pinball repairs here recently and found all of this info. Actually what made me start to search is the way my 2.5 year old son always gravitates to this pinball machine. He always wants me to pick him up to see the playfield, and he say's "Star Wars" lol. I also showed him how the coins go in the slots, so he is always putting coins in and out. It's pretty cool.
I live in a small town, and the nearest techs are literally hours away, and none of them were interested in doing a house call. So I delved in. I just finished reading all 81 pages of this thread today. I've been taking tons of notes and saving many web links. Two weeks ago, I didn't even know there were batteries in this thing! Heck I had never opened the back glass section in the 25 years I've owned it! The machine has been indoors in an AC/heated home it's whole life. The original Panasonic batteries were still intact and there was no damage. The problem with the machine was that when you would turn it on, only some playfield and back glass/translite lights would come on and nothing else. I was able to find that the C2 capacitor on the power supply board had failed, and some of it's contents had leaked, halting the 5VDC. Ordered/installed a new Pintek board, and what do you know, the machine started up like normal!
So I am on my way now. I've been tearing down the playfield and cleaning it up (using Vid's guide), I have all new rubber, fuses, bulbs, balls, play field wax, etc. I have ordered some Cliffys (yes I had to google that to know what it meant), and have Chad's newest ROM on it's way from Matt's Basement Arcade. I want to say thanks to all you have contributed to this awesome thread. I will definitely be on here with some more questions very soon!

Congrats man!! You’re probably the longest-term single pin owner in history! Now that you know so much, I’d wager pin number two is on its way soon…

#4044 2 years ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Well congrats but we need pics man!

#4045 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get this piece of plastic? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks!

20210807_181106.jpg20210807_181106.jpg

#4046 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Does anyone know where I can get this piece of plastic?

When I bought me DESW around 25 years ago that very same plastic had been replaced when a generic gray piece. Was able to finally make it whole again. I happened to find mine on eBay - way back when. Try https://www.ministryofpinball.com I have ordered from them before.

#4047 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

When I bought me DESW around 25 years ago that very same plastic had been replaced when a generic gray piece. Was able to finally make it whole again. I happened to find mine on eBay - way back when. Try https://www.ministryofpinball.com I have ordered from them before.

Thank you!

#4048 2 years ago

Easy break plastic set for Star Wars.

#4049 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Does anyone know where I can get this piece of plastic? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks!
[quoted image]

A few places (such as Marco Specialties https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/830-5441-00) sell the whole set. Your best bet might be eBay or someone who bought the set but doesn't need that one.

#4050 2 years ago

I found a couple connectors in my cabinet not connected. Any ideas where these go or what they could be used for? For one the wires and black and white, the other grey-white and grey-brown. Everything seems to be working/kicking/lighting up, so are these extra or "for future use"?

I'm also wondering if the black/white pair might be used for something like additional playfield lighting. It looks those 2 wires are coming directly from the power input box. I've seen where folks have added new lights and other features, and there's always a discussion of where to draw power. (I have not checked either for voltage.)

I have more pictures (inside and out) up at: https://www.catandsean.org/category/pinball/

sm_001-blk+wht (resized).JPGsm_001-blk+wht (resized).JPGsm_003-grywht+grybrn (resized).JPGsm_003-grywht+grybrn (resized).JPG Added over 3 years ago:

Finally got around to checking, and the black/white pair are +10.5 VDC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/81?hl=oradke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.