(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#922 8 years ago

I just bought plastics protectors from pinbits. Haven't tried them on yet but they look good.

#923 8 years ago

Also, chad, you're a beast. Great job finding video mode. Let's get that in the code.

While I'm here I'll post on a little problem. Probably sound related. The freeze quote from Vader never plays on my machine. I tried with the old rom and the new anniversary rom. I ordered and replaced sound Roms. Still no Vader quote. It makes a small hiss sound like carbon freezing and the video plays, but no Vader quote. Lots of other sound and quotes that seem correct to me, but I might not know what I'm missing. Any thoughts?

#934 8 years ago

Is there a list somewhere of all the call outs in desw? I've seen a list somewhere for mm. I wonder if I could identify any others I'm missing?

2 weeks later
#953 8 years ago

Wow. Very interesting idea. Chad?

#955 8 years ago

I'll check out that thread...

3 weeks later
#1023 8 years ago

Thanks for that post Chad, I'll follow up on that. Seems really similar. Hope my freeze call out will be heard soon!

1 month later
#1077 8 years ago

Hi all, so I have an extra IG-88 plastic after my repairs. The community has been good here so I'd like it to go to someone who needs it. $5 should cover shipping. I'd really like it to go to someone with a broken plastic, not someone who wants a spare (or I'd just keep it for a spare myself). I also have the original boba fett plastic but the bottom half is gone if anyone's interested.

#1079 8 years ago

Sold. Glad to fix that up! I installed plastic protectors everywhere when I replaced the couple that had broken.

#1084 8 years ago

Mine hums loudly. I'll be interested in your fix!

2 weeks later
#1112 8 years ago

Did you inadvertently turn off the match feature in settings?

#1127 8 years ago

Slightly OT!: I just played sega sw trilogy for the first time. I'm not sure why it's so universally hated. I love my desw but frankly, I thought the trilogy had a more engaging rule set. Anyone enlighten me? Perhaps I'll take this to the general forum, but I trust the opinions here.

2 weeks later
#1167 8 years ago

It looks awesome. Like a starfield or something. Very cool. How much did it cost if you don't mind saying?

2 months later
#1227 8 years ago

I paid $2900 recently in good shape and felt like I got a deal. You'll love it.

1 week later
#1236 8 years ago

Hi all, so I've had a reproducible sound problem on my desw. The most notable is on the ball freeze (new rom) it never says "freeze". Just a weird muted wookie like sound. So, I've checked everything and found a potential problem, but need someone to confirm my situation is abnormal. It looks like pin 19 on the cn21 connector on the (main?) top boards broken off. See pic. I wonder if that could be why most sounds work and some don't. Any ideas on what I might do if that is the problem? I solder but poorly and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with desoldering a connector off a main board!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#1238 8 years ago

I talked to Chad and he said his board is identical, so that is normal. I'm looking into trying to fix or replace the sound board. Anybody have a spare?

#1240 8 years ago

I just bought a pinsound board during the sales so this might just be my chance! The early Star Wars mixes I didn't love for some reason. Seemed too jerky, sudden starts and stops. But I'll give it a whirl. I was thinking of using it on my Indiana Jones because it looks like a guy worked his guts out rerecording the sounds from the blu-rays...
How much work is it to set up? I like playing pinball more than I like tweaking them...

#1251 8 years ago

Luck coming your way. Love those decals...

#1252 8 years ago

Luck coming your way. I have always wanted a set of those decals But just never got around to getting some!

#1295 8 years ago

Jean-luc:
Your DMD issue reminds me of my sound issue. Most work fine but then some sounds are completely omitted. I think I have mine tracked to a bad sound board and hope to pick up a spare to test. I've been told that the solder on the pins that connect the ribbon cables to the sound board sometimes aren't complete (?) making one pin not connect. Thus, just some sounds (videos?) never play. Just my two cents. Might be completely different.

#1319 8 years ago

Welcome new owners!!

2 weeks later
#1411 8 years ago

That's fun! Hand made?

1 week later
#1443 8 years ago

Welcome! The powder coat red is fun.

#1457 8 years ago

I did decals on my Indiana jones. It was a major task. Google the wet method. You'll likely need new side rails as taking them off usually ruins them. The real time is spent preparing the cab. Lots of filling and sanding.

Pinsound board is a worthy upgrade...

#1459 8 years ago

I might have been a little sloppy. I was replacing them with sick brass ones from Mike.

#1461 8 years ago

Why yes, yes I do...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1493 8 years ago

Yes. There is for sure. Can't remember what it's called but it's on on my machine

1 week later
#1512 8 years ago

Pm sent

#1531 8 years ago

Get the new code Rom and it's a really fun player. I put the pinsound board and have a great mix in it and it is THE quality Star Wars game that pinside always complains doesn't exist!

#1546 8 years ago

I've seen in the thread people using the top half of a SW planetarium projector?

#1553 8 years ago

Yes, I believe the uncle Milton planetarium is what people have used. It is slightly smaller but works. Can someone else confirm?

4 weeks later
#1613 8 years ago

Hey guys,
A friend of mine played my desw and loved it so much he wants one. I can't seem to find one in the $3k range for him tho. Any takers?

1 month later
#1709 8 years ago

Anybody have a desw they want to sell? I have a friend looking hard for one.

2 months later
#1764 7 years ago

Hey guys, I just helped a friend pick up their first pin, desw! They have just a couple issues. I need to find matching front legs. The leg levelers are literally rusted into place and look crappy. I have new feet for them but need two front legs with the classic black powder coating. Anyone have spares? Or a link to known matching ones?

Second, they have some broken plastics and I have a whole set of new ones to replace them with. A couple plastics have rivets in them (like the one near jabba). Anyone have a tip on replacing that? Is there a cheap riveter that works there?

And any reason for the different sized nuts they used in this thing? Kinda drives me crazy!!

2 weeks later
#1797 7 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

Would love to see the landspeeder video mode incorporated some day.

+1

3 weeks later
#1804 7 years ago

Great score at 2k!!

#1828 7 years ago

Color DMD arriving tomorrow! Can't wait!

#1832 7 years ago

Dang. Didn't read the fine print on the colordmd! Star Wars colorization not done yet... Friday?

#1848 7 years ago

Got my ColorDMD led installed. I like it a lot. Generally it's awesome and I think it's worth the money. A couple teensy complaints.

1: The size of the dots on the led screen is underwhelming. I have a colordmd LCD in my sttng and it definitely fills the screen with more color. More black space between the color dots with led makes it seem a little muted.

2: Specifically with desw some of the color choices weren't my favorite on certain frames. Not saying I could have done better though. For instance, on the Death Star getting ready to fire the beam video sequence, it seems it was more dark and monotone in the film. Perhaps just too much color. On the other hand, Jabba's color is perfect when you claim Jabba's bounty. The green shading around the edges was artfully done.

All in all, great mod. I'm interested in seeing an LCD desw version up close.

#1851 7 years ago
Quoted from Spock:

Exactly why I chose the LCD, more options and overall bolder and brighter. However, the LED still looks very nice.

Agreed. I love my led too.

1 week later
#1855 7 years ago

Hey guys, I went to level my desw and found the bottom of my legs so corroded that the feet were welded in! Gross. I'm wanting replacement legs that match. I found some at Marco but they were $100 for four and I wasn't sure they were a match. Anyone know of a modern part equivalent to match my black textured powder coat legs? I'm pretty sure they're original as they match the rest of the armor. Thanks!

1 week later
#1867 7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm at the hardware store and can't access my pin. Anyone know offhand what screws hold the pop bumper caps on ? Thanks!!

#1871 7 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

You can't buy pinball screws, nuts or bolts from the hardware store. It's all specific to pinball/coin-op. You will have to order them from a pinball parts supplier.

I think you were kidding, weren't you?

#1872 7 years ago

Got them. Thanks guys! Saved me a trip.

4 weeks later
#1889 7 years ago

Hey guys, here's a couple questions that have me stumped.

My friend's desw has the "X-mode" lamp out. I changed bulbs, checked solder joints, etc. all good. I went to check it on the matrix and can't find it? I would have thought it would be in row 1 Column 2 (based on the order of stuff) but it's blanked out. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, the top half of his back glass lighting is all out. Doesn't seem to be a bulb problem as we swapped a few known working. See pic. I checked all the fuses I could see and didn't get any obvious problems. Any thoughts?

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

#1892 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Paynemic - I had the same issue with my back glass lighting - I found a bad connection in a connector that feeds the lighting. If memory is correct, there's a Z connector in line with the voltage feeds. I ended up redoing a pin on one of the connectors that used the Z.
Not sure about your X mode lights, but I would go from the light to the power source, and check every pin for voltage. Likely you have a connector issue.
Good Luck

Thanks for the tips. Can you or anyone tell me what a z-connector is? I'm still learning...

The X-mode light has me confused just because I can't find it on the lamp matrix at all! Anyone else have thoughts?

#1898 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Paynemic - Refer to some of my earlier posts in this thread addressing the same back box lighting problem. There's a picture of a Z connector.
As far as the X wing lights - are you referring to the flashers behind the square targets? There's regular GI lighting and flashers. Check the bulbs on the flashers - I thought I read somewhere that there are issues with flasher bulbs if too many of them are burned out. (Caution - I may be remembering something different that is not applicable to this machine.)
Run a flasher light test in diagnostics.

Thanks again for taking time to respond!! Im taking about the insert above the yoda and extra ball. It's labeled x-mode (but it is really speeder mode). I can't find it on the lamp matrix! Thanks again.

#1901 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Paynemic - Interesting. The manual does not list that light other than it being a 555. It's not on the lamp matrix page. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find it on my machine and trace it back. It may not be until next week.
Anyone else want to chime in?

I'm kinda stumped. But then I'm a noob so that's not an uncommon experience. But it seems like a bit of a mystery. My led conversion kit from cointaker shows unused in slot 17 (18 and 19 being right down that inner orbit shot... extra ball and yoda, I think..). What the heck? I swear that insert lights when x-mode (speeder mode) is available to shoot. I gotta go play a bit more to refresh my memory. But how could it not be on the matrix? There's definitely a lamp and socket and wiring there...

Does anyone have any insight into this?

#1902 7 years ago
Quoted from Weed_of_Crime:

Can someone with the colordmd please post some more video? I really wanna see the Death Star opening and explosion sequences. And a few other things

Ok guys, I'm such a noob it's rare for me to have answers for others. But I get so much good help from this forum that I realized I need to contribute where I can. So here's a fairly crappy video but I think it shows the vast majority of the video sequences asked for. I just opened the machine and fingered the switches. It felt dirty...

So, does anyone know the answer to the the x-mode (start speeder mode... above extra ball) light not being on the matrix? A complete mystery to me.

#1908 7 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Thanks for the video of the LED Mike. I like the Pinsound mix too.

Yeah Matt! I like that mix too. . Thanks... I made a couple modifications. Darn speeder mode doesn't lend itself well to gettting
The speeder bike woosh in there.

I did get "it's a trap" in a couple places.

#1914 7 years ago
Quoted from seb951:

I just bought pinsound this past weekend at Pinball Expo. Any chance you can share that Pinsound Mix? it's wonderful i like it!!

Well, mine is a slight modification from another guys, so I'd want his permission before sharing. There's some quirky copyright stuff going on, so one has to be careful...

Jedimastermatt is a great resource on pinsound.

#1915 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Paynemic -
The light for the X mode is light 19 - it's mislabeled on the lamp matrix as "Lite 3CPO eyes". The wire color is red with brown and Yellow with orange. The actual 3CPO eye lights are lights 26 & 28, and are on a light circuit board. I was going to post a picture, but I could not get the colors to turn out right.

Yay!! Mystery solved. I'll dig in and find out the real solution now. Thanks for your help.

#1916 7 years ago

Well,
I'm finally tired of my desw playing like a floaty old em. I rebuilt the flippers but still can't make the ramp except on a perfect shot. I ended up putting the slope way down because it just wasnt fun to miss due to weakness of flipper as opposed to timing. And they get weaker on successive shots.

I'd like to get the playfield angle up to normal and I'm interested in getting stronger coils. Anyone tried this? Any links to good ones to try?

#1922 7 years ago

Thanks Matt,
I'll check the ramp integrity. And no, I cant really make the orbit with speed and never have air balls off the xwing targets (though one is broken...). I have plastics protectors on everywhere and really just need some juice. I'm nowhere near the pitch recommended by the built in level. It still takes a perfect ramp shot to make it. It feels so floaty compared to all my other pins.

I'm also tempted on the cpr playfield, but mine is in pretty good shape. I'm turning into a pinball part hoarder. I've never done a swap before anyway and am really scared to. I wish they'd make one for Gorgar... I think that would be an easy first swap.

Edit: I see Gorgar is available
Too!!

#1923 7 years ago

Actually, that reminds me, my main plunger is kinda weak too.. could those both point to some common voltage problem?

#1926 7 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2358&picno=9292

This is the one I'm confused about. X-mode.

Thanks for everyone's help.

#1927 7 years ago

Anyone know how long cpr takes to get get playfields from this stage (preorder) to shipped to my door?

#1938 7 years ago

I'm selling a sound board. Was working when I replaced it with a pinsound. Has latest sound roms. See marketplace...

#1941 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I saw some mods in the past that I can't seem to find any info on
One was some led lighting inside the Death Star and r2d2, I think tnt amusements has a video of this on you tube. Anyone try these?
The other I thought I saw was some sort of light up light sabre flippers, anyone do this?

I think lighting in r2 and the Death Star is standard. Mine came with both and I seem to recall them listed on the matrix. I just put superbright leds in r2. He looks amazing. Then, I carefully sanded the inside of the Death Star globe with very fine grit. I put bright purple leds in and the effect is amazing. The seams all glow nicely.

#1943 7 years ago

I'll take one. Hang on

#1945 7 years ago

I have one purple and one white LED in there, so when I turned lamps on they alternated. When both are on it's kind of an average of the two.

IMG_0121 (resized).JPGIMG_0121 (resized).JPG

IMG_0123 (resized).JPGIMG_0123 (resized).JPG

#1946 7 years ago

By the way, that's the xmode lamp I was talking about in an earlier post that I can't fix on my friend's desw. I took a pic of my working one for wire colors:

IMG_0110 (resized).JPGIMG_0110 (resized).JPG

IMG_0111 (resized).JPGIMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#1948 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That is pretty cool, thanks for the pics.
Have you seen some flippers that look like light Sabres? I thought someone mentioned that on here but can't seem to find the post.

Haven't seen those. Sounds cool.

1 week later
#1966 7 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

During our Halloween block party, Kylo Ren stopped by for some DE Star Wars Action.
The force is still strong with this pin..

Sick!!

2 months later
#2039 7 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

So what do you think of the pinsound addition? I did one a while back and still not thrilled with the results. Sounds good, but i was expecting to blown away with pinsound and speaker pro speakers. I am hearing the sound files are highly compressed.

I was blown away with mine. No compression problems. I wonder if you need better source material? Can someone speak to that? I'm no expert.

1 week later
#2054 7 years ago
Quoted from netcivil:

Hello Pinsiders,
Been having an issue lately with the kick back on the left hand side behind the pop up bumpers. It appears sometimes, whether the ball drops directly in, I come in through the Death Star of the C3P0 shot, the ball isn't detected when it gets to the kicker. I dropped a ball down there until it was undetected and bumped it around some to see if I could force the switch to toggle, but no love. I have to way for the ball find (which really sucks when you had hit the death star w/ only a few seconds left).
Thoughts?
Thanks all!
-jg

Try bending the activation arm up to engage a bit more? Test the switch and see if it closes with finger pressure. If it doesn't, replace the switch itself (it isn't an opto, is it?)

#2056 7 years ago

There's a kickstand on the right side I believe I will flip it all the way against the back glass sometimes.

#2057 7 years ago

Mine has a couple little rails that prop it about a foot. Are yours not there?

#2070 7 years ago

The chrome rails are hot!!

1 month later
#2120 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Question for those of you running the color dmd and pinsound.
The other day during a long high score game my color dmd seemed to lose track of where it was for a second until I hit the ramp and found itself. Music and sound from pinsound continued. Only happened once.
I'm running the latest code from chad as well and have the upgraded power supply.
Only other odd thing I've noticed is occasionally on first ball of a replay when shooting tie fighter there may not be any music until after ball is launched but on 99% of the games there is music before launch and then goes into theme song.
Anyone have either of these occur?
Happens very infrequently but was just strange.

I had my colorDMD get stuck at the end of the cantina sequence yesterday. Didn't get back until I rebooted. Fine since. I have pinsound and newest code too.

#2126 7 years ago

Hey guys, I've been looking for a part number for the bayonet lamp holders so I can order some replacements for my desw. I've scoured the manual and can't find a part number. It's a three-lead socket with a bracket so it can hang down off the playfield. Am I over-thinking it? Anyone know or have a link? I have an order started at Marco, so ideally something I could buy there to combine shipping...

#2127 7 years ago

Also, has anyone done anything awesome with the Death Star stand up target? Decal? Paint grey?

#2131 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I saw a nice sticker before I owned the machine, now I can't find the artwork
It was of the target computer of the x wing on the trench run

I saw that on ebay but it was for the Star Wars trilogy pin. Not the right size for the Death Star.

#2134 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I painted mine to look like the DS gate/door that
is used in the DMD.

I'd love to see a pic!

#2140 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Some Free vector Decal options I made for the Death Star and for the targets
let me know if you like it and i will upload more sometime

Much appreciated!! Any ideas on getting these printed and applied? I've never tried that...

#2145 7 years ago

None that I know of.

#2148 7 years ago

So I have to clear something up. I was the guy who LEDed his desw only to have the lamp matrix go crazy. Well, I replaced everything with cointaker non-ghosting premium as many suggested. It definitely helped but there was some faint ghosting still. So, at the advice of another pinsider, I looked at the lamp sockets checking for reversed diodes or bad wiring. Indeed, Jabba scoop was wired all wrong. I rewired it and put in a new diode. Sure enough, zero ghosting.

So, lesson is that good non-ghosting lamps can cover some ghosting, but fix the underlying problem to knock it completely out.

I recently acquired another desw with all leds and a major ghosting problem. I'm going to start looking into the diodes and wiring before spending more money on leds

1 week later
#2177 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

I personally think the blue decals from Europe look low res. Mine had them when I purchased it so I'm not changing but they don't look great. And I'm not saying the black would be any better. Apparently there are nicer ones here in the states that are harder to find due to copyright issues. I think there is a set on eBay for $300

I bought a set on ebay. Disappointed with the color match. And maybe a bit low res. I wish I had bought black. Much easier to paint the "seams" where you can't really get the decal edges to match up. My boise paint that was a perfect match for my original pain doesn't match the new decal.

Anyone know where to buy black?

1 week later
#2210 7 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

If you haven't back-lit the Falcon and the Emperor you really, really should...

Wow! I've never seen that before. Can you describe your setup? And possibly take a pic of the backside?

#2220 7 years ago

I have the pinsound and the colorDMD. Mine is LED and I have no problems. Don't the led ones draw less power or am I wrong on that?

1 week later
#2227 7 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

Lemmeno if you have any questions, Comet stuff, wedge wanted to wiggle loose so I added unsightly Gorilla tape. Open to better ideas...

Where did you tie those lamps in?

#2230 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I'am a fan of starwars, so i make my own Star Wars pinball.
I use the DE starwars as a donor, cabinet and electronics.
And my own hand made playfield and graphics.
So the DE events are the same.
Here is a pic of the whitewood and almost playable machine.

Impressive!... most impressive!

#2244 7 years ago

Anyone have instructions on replacing the "gun" lever button? I can't see a way to get in there and test the switch. Mine seems faulty. Sometimes blasts right through shootout, sometimes fails even though I'm holding it down...

#2249 7 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I had to resolder this switch recently. You must pry the button housing out of the lever with a flathead screwdriver. The manual shows how this works. It just pops out sideways. Under the button is a basic micro switch setup, just like an arcade machine or whatever. Could be a bad switch but maybe it just needs cleaning or soldering. May the force be with you.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try this weekend. What were your symptoms? And did it fix it?

#2253 7 years ago
Quoted from kellygeorge:

Hey all. New to the forum. My Star Wars machine is having an interesting issue. About a month ago the Fire button on the lever stopped working. For some reason the right flipper button took over these actions, launching the ball, firing in the shootout, etc while continuing to control the flipper. As of yesterday, the right flipper button has stopped performing these functions, but still controls the flipper as expected.
When turning on the machine or running diagnostics the launcher coil fires as expected. Any help would would be appreciated!

I'm no expert but it sounds like a really smart piece of programming to compensate for a broken shifter switch. Can anyone else confirm?

#2260 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Retouched High resolution Star Wars Translite, hosted on an independent server http://nitroflare.com/view/F303993C8A3FA9F/Star_wars_655mm_X_570mm_-_02_Final.tif
I lay no claim to ownership or copyright. Its just a fan picture thats freely available for private use

Wow. That download site was just porn link after annoying ad. Can you put it in a Dropbox or something? I'd love to get it but I gave up.

Thanks for doing the work though! Anyone know how to print a translite?

1 week later
#2293 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

That looks great, thanks.
Where is that 12v power cable going to ? the main board ?

I would love to have the force scoop light red when it's dark side and the lamp on top be blue when force is lit! That would be awesome.

1 week later
#2303 6 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Hey guys need some help. I have had Star Wars for ever and the 10 million light near the Sarralac pit has always been disconnected (I know I know I should have fixed this in the past). When I tried to hook it back up the light stays on constantly. I would assume this is a transistor problem on the board. Can anyone tell me where on the board is associated with this light? Everything else functions 100%.
Thanks and may the force be with you!!

Check that the socket is wired correctly and the diode is right. I'm not sure it can cause your exact symptom, I have found tons of desw sockets wired wrong causing all kinds of chaos.

3 weeks later
#2350 6 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Started some of the led install. Liking it so far most are from nifty led. Need to repair the burnt back box gi connector, top half is very dim. Have a few not making connection and need to finish the gi. Led ocd should be here Thursday can't wait since I have a ton of ghosting now lol. I put purples in the ds but can hardly see them. Heard some folk paint the inside white to help. Considering that or lining it with reflective metal tape...

I lightly sanded out the inside of my Death Star. The places where there are "seams" got thinner and show light through. Looks great. Very easy. Just go lightly.

1 week later
#2354 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I finally get to join the club! I bought this machine from a local collector and got it set up over the weekend. This is my first DMD machine and, oddly enough, my first machine that uses incandescent bulbs. This is probably the nicest Star Wars machine that I have ever seen; a solid 9.5/10. Playfield and plastics are perfect. There are very minor touchups made to the cabinet. The cardboard shroud behind the coin box is even intact; never seen that before. It does have new code (1.04 so I will need to upgrade to 1.07). I look forward to trying my hand at LEDs and maybe installing a Color DMD or Pinsound board. In the meantime, I will enjoy learning how to play this game.

Get a pinsound in that. Major upgrade. And watch out on leds. Get the non-ghosting. A number of us have found sockets wired wrong causing major ghosting that didn't reveal itself till leds were put in.

1 month later
#2398 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Check the PPB board and the interconnector to the back box lamps.
Also, the power supply connector. Data East connectors always burn,
they are not rated to handle the high current. I used the round Molex
type connectors in order to repair the G.I. circuitry.

I had the exact problem. It was the brown wire into the pcb. Just had to make a new connector.

#2401 6 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Fixed my connector issue permanently. Typical overload burn got to the circuit board as well, causing permanent damage to the traces. I had to replace and re-route a couple of them, so the original connector replacement was not my first choice to repair it:

Wiring and terminals overheated:

Repaired the damaged board and added a pigtail with an automotive connector. Added the mating connector to the original harness:

Replacing the bulbs with LED's will reduce the load significantly and prevent further aging. Unfortunately, time vs. heat has gotten to all of these machines, since LED's weren't an option for years.

Great repair. Impressive. Very impressive...

2 weeks later
#2406 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The Data East SW remake is ready to play.
Unofficial 1.07 rom with stock DE hardware.
You have to destroy the deflector schield by shooting the kickback at the right side between the ramp and scoop.
Then the death Star lift ramp (left) opens for multibal (under the death star ).

My mind is blown. Where would you even start?!! Great job!

More pics and gameplay videos please!

1 month later
#2429 6 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

Omg, I've got my RasPiSound up and running and have built on the existing sound collections which I will share soon... but let me say, if you're on the fence about getting this or the pinsound I say do it! Either one, who cares! It is a whole new game with updated music and sounds (and callouts). It's night and day, crazy good! I expected to love it but not as much as i do!

I agree 100%

1 week later
#2447 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

You're right.

I checked my notes and it was burnt by you just before you stopped doing it for people
I'll have to find someone local that can burn a newer one.

And get some nvram in that ASAP!!! Easiest and most underrated mod of all imho

5 months later
#2562 6 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

So finally getting back to giving my SW a little love after almost a year of life getting in the way. Trying to dig into this lighting problem again and just went over a ton of diodes found one dead on my non lighting pop bumper but still chasing this ghosting. I recall seeing someone mention they found diodes installed backwards? Any inclination from my testing pointing to where it could be?

Seems like it was on the scoops. It was a huge problem for my ghosting. Once I replaced it, ghosting went away 100%.

2 months later
#2585 5 years ago

That’s great! Don’t the caps go up and down in desw? They don’t in stern Star Wars, so I hope it doesn’t jar your at-at loose. Look awesome. PinballCharlie is a stud and makes cool products. Nice of him to give that one away!

4 months later
#2762 5 years ago

Anyone know if there is a setting to auto-launch the ball after a certain amount of time? I have desw in my waiting room and when kids leave it mid-game it keeps making the tie fighter whooshing sound over and over.

#2764 5 years ago

Hahaha

2 months later
#2833 5 years ago
Quoted from robertg130:

Hi,guys I bought a DE SW,The R2D2 is yellow and very aged.Is someone here that makes a restoration,re chrome.??
Thanks

I was wondering the same thing.

2 weeks later
#2868 5 years ago

So I finally got the tech to complete my first ever mod. I’ve always wanted the force scoop to glow red when the force award was not lit (dark side shot available). Just seemed appropriate. Here’s a little video:

Thanks to the tech from Rock Custom Pinball, their “Game On” power supply, and some cool relay tricks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1015-rock-custom-pinball/02206-game-on-interactive-power-supply

#2871 5 years ago
Quoted from PopWhiskey:

Oh man, I'm finally in the Star Wars pinball club I just picked it up about a week ago and my family loves it! I'm not a huge pin collector...yet, so far this is only our second pinball machine (the other is Flash Gordon, very different, but love that one too). I've been reading a lot of the forums just to try to catch up on things, mods etc and I have to say that you all are great. I feel like I just want to jump in and start upgrading a few things right away.
Anyway, I'll summarize my machine and have a couple of questions as well.
- it's running 1.06 (just ordered chads 1.07) and just learning about ROMs and things
- it has the LED package throughout
- it plays great, but has a strange humming coming from the left speaker (quite loud sometimes)
- the backglass has no trim or lift and I can't seem to locate anything online, also not sure if the backglass is real or a translite. I don't know the difference and it's just so different from the mirrored style of Flash Gordon that I can't compare them
- the divider between the backglass and the PC modules has no latch, so it just kind of floats/swings freely there in the backbox. I assume there should be some kind of latch on the right to keep it from swinging on it's own? I haven't found anything for that online either.
- I have the Darth topper with it, but am not a huge fan for some reason. No offense to those who are, but I picked up a Darth Vader mask to replace it. I just need to figure out how to attach it up there.
- it also has a broken plastic over the launch assembly (can't find that anywhere either). Also the light under it has been pop riveted to the plastic (I think that's what broke it) and also has a red sleeve over the light itself. Is that normal?
- Pinsound+ board - while it doesn't have this, I find myself looking at this almost on a daily basis. With stock speakers is it worth it and is it easy to install? Maybe that would get rid of the humming?
Thank you to any help at all with these questions and I'll keep reading and watching YouTube videos. I'm soooo happy to be in this club!

Here’s a couple pictures of my latch on the light panel that lights the translite. I’m not sure what that panel is called. I think you don’t want that to move or it will flop forward and ding your translite. Most damage I see on translites is from that contact.

Also, a pic of the plastic frame around my translite.

CAB295AF-4FB2-4A59-8707-34818E31B1CF (resized).jpegCAB295AF-4FB2-4A59-8707-34818E31B1CF (resized).jpeg47EAB761-6E6C-4D47-9680-064007E65964 (resized).jpeg47EAB761-6E6C-4D47-9680-064007E65964 (resized).jpegCE04933C-C82B-4EBA-81CF-5FEC4B1750C8 (resized).jpegCE04933C-C82B-4EBA-81CF-5FEC4B1750C8 (resized).jpegC5182481-1765-479C-9AFC-9AC031188A26 (resized).jpegC5182481-1765-479C-9AFC-9AC031188A26 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#2914 5 years ago

Dude, those things are the shiz!! You’ll be defending the ion cannon like a boss! How much cost/time on that project? I’ve been told that fixing/replacing de pops is a real pain. Is this comparable?

3 weeks later
#2953 5 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Just joined the club! Needs a complete shop job, what is the best LED kit out there?

I used comet. Do yourself a favor and check the diodes as you replace the lamps. I’ve done an led switch on two desw now and both had a diode wired backward (looked like it was like that from the factory). Apparently on incandescent lamps it doesn’t matter as much (?) but when I got the leds in it was like all hell broke loose in the columns and rows.

2 months later
#3063 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Thanks a lot for your answer.

When I swapped for led on two desw the lamp matrix went crazy. In both cases it was a diode installed backward on the Jabba scoop. Keep an eye out for wacky lamp behavior.

5 months later
#3239 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Hello all, just a short question. What is your favorite setting for rewards? (Credit, special, extra ball..)
I almost never gain extra ball myself.

Extra ball. Keep the game going when I’m doing well.

#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

separate question....is the test switch supposed to only have 2 buttons? I cant figure out how to toggle to the switch test option

Put the toggle switch to “reverse” and hit select. It something like that. Instead of going to negative numbers it goes into the tests.

3 months later
#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep. I fixed that one.
"Taun Taun - Made Han's voice call start a bit sooner to give it a better chance to finish and fixed bug on scoring during Ball 4+."

Beast.

1 month later
#3482 4 years ago

I’m so excited about the prospect of speeder mode! ChadH is a true American hero!

#3490 4 years ago

I like the strobing when the Death Star door goes down. Couldn’t you put a filter over your flashers or something?

I love stormtrooper shootout mode (it tries to get you to take your hand off the flipper. Distraction is what it IS). I’d hate to have features I like taken out for one I think I’ll like, but chadH can do no wrong.

#3519 4 years ago

That’s interesting info! I love the physical shooting effect. I’m curious how many people would turn that off?

#3527 4 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Yes, you do...

Absolutely. New code now! Don’t even wait. Literal game changer.

4 months later
#3676 3 years ago

Anyone make the brite-caps work with DESW? I can’t remember if they don’t work with the deeper top.

#3678 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I don’t imagine you’d have a problem with the BriteCaps Classics. You may have issues with the BriteCaps Evo’s without doing a Williams/Bally style bumper mod. That’s what I did on mine and I love how it turned out. The Evo’s add about 5mm which helps bring the Williams/Bally lenses back up to the appropriate height. No lense rattle and the BriteCaps look awesome.I have the center lamps on them set to be reactive.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes! That’s what I want. Those are the ones without the wires, correct? I have a set with the wire but the pop action always breaks the solder eventually. Those look great. Can you tell me how to do that mod?

#3681 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

Yes they're wire free.
The DE bumper cap is attached directly to the ring and rod assembly by 2 hex spacers. You remove the hex spacers and replace them with a couple 6-32 nylock nuts. The new williams/bally caps screw into the bumper body witch already has the holes to mount them and the BriteCaps Evo's come with the correct length screws to attach them. I save a little money on the caps by buying them as a set for the game RADICAL on marco. It'll be much easier if you unbolt the rods from the metal yoke on the underside of the assembly and remove the rods and ring from the game. If you want to change your bumper body or skirt you'll have to do some soldering in some tight spaces underneath as you have to remove the light socket from inside the bumper body.
[quoted image]

Fantastic write up! Thanks!

#3686 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah I think I remember that. It’s almost like the sound is clipped.
Better question though why the H don’t you have a Pinsound? Man that’s the other missing item

10/10. Must get pinsound.

1 week later
#3691 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

Yes they're wire free.
The DE bumper cap is attached directly to the ring and rod assembly by 2 hex spacers. You remove the hex spacers and replace them with a couple 6-32 nylock nuts. The new williams/bally caps screw into the bumper body witch already has the holes to mount them and the BriteCaps Evo's come with the correct length screws to attach them. I save a little money on the caps by buying them as a set for the game RADICAL on marco. It'll be much easier if you unbolt the rods from the metal yoke on the underside of the assembly and remove the rods and ring from the game. If you want to change your bumper body or skirt you'll have to do some soldering in some tight spaces underneath as you have to remove the light socket from inside the bumper body.
[quoted image]

I just realized that the pops probably will not go up and down (like they currently do) if I do this mod? Am i correct there? My friend I’m doing the repair for is a little particular. That may disappoint him.

4 months later
#3881 3 years ago

Looking forward to that mix!! It’s perfect!

1 week later
#3924 3 years ago
Quoted from Seth1977:

I have 2 R2 kits boxed up and ready to ship. Anyone interested PM me. 100.00 shipped in US only. I won’t be making anymore. I will also be uploading the files and post a link. The kit comes with legs, body, dome, screws, lights ect. You just need to finish like a model. Modify mounting brackets and install stock lighting if you want
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Guys, don’t miss a chance on this R2 replacement. Seth is a real pro and packaged the parts with care. This is amazing. Here’s mine all painted up.

BC18E326-8358-4A09-A073-C227201DCE21 (resized).jpegBC18E326-8358-4A09-A073-C227201DCE21 (resized).jpeg
#3929 3 years ago

So in working on r2, I twisted a head off one of the four screw heads holding the L brackets that r2mounts on. It had a hex spacer hanging down toward the playfield. I couldn’t retrieve the screw and then lost the spacer. Does anyone happen to know what that part number is or even dimensions? I’m assuming it’s there for a good reason.

#3931 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Can you post a picture of the area you are talking about?

This is it. That hex spacer hangs down I think to prevent a ball trap. Ignore all the other things wrong with that picture... hahah

The second photo has my workaround in it.
712C82FF-2FE4-4C14-A268-219B0C2AC96F (resized).jpeg712C82FF-2FE4-4C14-A268-219B0C2AC96F (resized).jpeg

4B211B15-2BC0-4BB7-AC34-6AC019851DF1 (resized).jpeg4B211B15-2BC0-4BB7-AC34-6AC019851DF1 (resized).jpeg
#3932 3 years ago

Ok. Separate issue here. Pinsound not working. I post in this thread because I don’t think it’s a pinsound problem. It boots up, decompresses the zip file (forever) and then seems fine. But no game sounds. I rebooted and it makes the New boot up sound from the mix I have. But no other sounds after that. So I’m thinking my desw isn’t sending it the right signals to produce sound? Any ideas?

#3935 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The R2D2 "L" brackets are mounted wrong...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I guess missing are the screws...
DE # 232-5201-00
6-32 PHMS SEMS.

Yeah. For sure. I was putting in a mod.

BTW, a rubber goes on that shaft

A rubber on the hanging down hex spacer? Or a different shaft.

2 weeks later
#3961 3 years ago

Hey Jedi,
I cant get the latest file/OST to load. Not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but the extraction completes and confirms files, but when i start the game, i get no sounds at all.

Same problem for me. I’m trying latest firmware. I’ll report back.

1 week later
#3966 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I was finally able to find a 100% fix for this problem!
Still having a problem with the ball either chattering so bad it would not make it to R2D2 or it would rail in so fast it would bounce off the post up there and wander back down the right orbit, was maddening. Replacing the shooter return spring with a stronger spring from a sling maybe reduced it 2/3 but still did it enough it irked the hell out of me.
Took apart the shooter assembly again, removed the spring, installed 2 star post o-rings at the base of the plunger (were the weighted disk is) and reinstalled the strong spring and reassembled.
Works perfect! The 2 o-rings increase the spring tension slightly but more importantly act as both a damper when the plunger is at end of travel and reduces the travel of the plunger as well.
The ball makes it every single time to R2D2 now.

Sounds great! I would love to see pictures.

#3968 3 years ago

I see now. I have a similar problem. I’ll try that out.

1 week later
#3971 3 years ago

Ok he requested the self diag file, hopefully that will pinpoint what the issue is

Any update? Still having problem. Pinsound boots fine. Plays startup sound. Then nothing else.

If I update firmware or convert a package, it plays sound the whole way along. Then just no game sounds.

4 months later
#4043 2 years ago
Quoted from ROMM:

OK so this is my first post on this forum (been lurking a few weeks). I have a DESW that I have owned since 1996. It's the only pinball machine I've ever owned. Boy have I been ignorant lol! I can't believe how much this hobby has evolved! My machine has not worked in nearly 20 years. Sheesh I remember trying to troubleshoot it myself and not being able to figure anything out. There was nothing on the internet at the time. But now it is just crazy with the amount of info on the internet about pinball, and even this particular machine! I mean seriously, there is an 81 pg thread about this particular machine lol. Are you kidding me!! So glad I started researching pinball repairs here recently and found all of this info. Actually what made me start to search is the way my 2.5 year old son always gravitates to this pinball machine. He always wants me to pick him up to see the playfield, and he say's "Star Wars" lol. I also showed him how the coins go in the slots, so he is always putting coins in and out. It's pretty cool.
I live in a small town, and the nearest techs are literally hours away, and none of them were interested in doing a house call. So I delved in. I just finished reading all 81 pages of this thread today. I've been taking tons of notes and saving many web links. Two weeks ago, I didn't even know there were batteries in this thing! Heck I had never opened the back glass section in the 25 years I've owned it! The machine has been indoors in an AC/heated home it's whole life. The original Panasonic batteries were still intact and there was no damage. The problem with the machine was that when you would turn it on, only some playfield and back glass/translite lights would come on and nothing else. I was able to find that the C2 capacitor on the power supply board had failed, and some of it's contents had leaked, halting the 5VDC. Ordered/installed a new Pintek board, and what do you know, the machine started up like normal!
So I am on my way now. I've been tearing down the playfield and cleaning it up (using Vid's guide), I have all new rubber, fuses, bulbs, balls, play field wax, etc. I have ordered some Cliffys (yes I had to google that to know what it meant), and have Chad's newest ROM on it's way from Matt's Basement Arcade. I want to say thanks to all you have contributed to this awesome thread. I will definitely be on here with some more questions very soon!

Congrats man!! You’re probably the longest-term single pin owner in history! Now that you know so much, I’d wager pin number two is on its way soon…

2 months later
#4098 2 years ago

A friend has one he’s considering selling. Nice condition. In idaho.

Quoted from highstream:

First post but Ive owned my machine for about 15 years and still love it
Im very careful with mods, want to keep the original feeling but I when I found thoose sideblades I thought they looked just right and after installing them I must say they look amazing
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love those! Fits with the art perfectly!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.