(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oradke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3044 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Any one else use their right leg to shoot down the storm troppers? Just tried it and worked well. Tired of losing the dam ball taking my hand off the flipper....

I do it all the time. My daughter came up with that idea. Easy way to score some points!

2 weeks later
#3081 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

You're welcome. That's what Internet friends are for! Also, I would go ahead and purchase the 1.07 code if you haven't already done so.

Don‘t forget to install NVRAM and ditch the batteries!

1 week later
#3108 4 years ago

My guess: the plastic cogwheels in the motor are shot. You can get a replacement motor for apprx. 80 USD.

#3115 4 years ago

Well done! I‘ve scheduled a teardown of my machine for this fall. Lots of work, but well worth it.

Hint: I already upgraded my SWDE with blue convolux (to protect the plastics) and and I put blue super bands on the flippers. Looks great and compliments the theme!

4 weeks later
#3163 4 years ago

Sounds exactly right. My SWDE does the same.

#3167 4 years ago

janus You got that exactly right!

1 month later
#3196 4 years ago

Quick question: Is anyone aware of a list of which sounds are triggered by which events in SWDE? E.g. I see "multiball_is_lit" in thze PinSound archives, that's pretty obvious. But what about "spaceship_3" or "explosion_in_space"?

1 month later
#3229 4 years ago

Get an anyPin NVRAM to replace your RAM chip. NVRAM does not need batteries (NV=non volatile), you can take the batteries out completely. Best safeguard against battery acid leaks!

1 month later
#3255 4 years ago

I have a pinsound+ in my SWDE - works beautifully! In order to pinpoint the problem, try using the line out of the pinsound. I have actually replaced speakers with the Pinsound speaker set and also added a headphones station (for easy volume control) and the pinsound shaker. Really loving the setup! The data east power cable is a must.

#3260 4 years ago

Perhaps the speakers in your cabinet are busted!

#3262 4 years ago

Make sure you have the correct impedance and that the wires aren‘t switched accidentally. If left and right are out of phase, the speakers can sound very weird because some frequencies will cancel each other out.

3 weeks later
#3296 4 years ago

It's not Chad's code. I'm running it in my SWDE, and whenever the ball accidentally lands in the shooter lane, the game will shoot it out immediately and everything continues.

#3300 4 years ago

Yeah, your game ROM is v1.02. But as MotorCityMatt said, your machine will display game and sound ROM version during startup. I think Chads firmware is a huge improvement, but you gotta try it for yourself. It's easy enough to do, just be careful when you switch the EPROMS - those little legs bend and break easily. And while you're at it, get a NVRAM and ditch the batteries.

As for pinsound: I put a Pinsound+ into my SWDE to get rid of DMD noise and hum (worked!), but I didn't like the new sound sets, so I'm playing the original sounds through pinsound. Make no mistake here: The sounds will sound pretty much the same, because PinSound will just play the same sound files in 8bit (or whatever it was), so don't expect a huge improvement here.

You can however really spice up your game by:
- adding HeadPhones Station (for easy volume control, on-the-fly soundset changes and of course using headphones)
- Replacing the speakers in the cabinet
- adding the new Pinsound Shaker - I was one of the firts ones to install the shaker, and it ROCKS! You'll actually get my very own settings for SWDE because I submitted them to teh Pinsound guys

Oh, BTW: You DEFINITELY need to buy the additional DE power booster wiring (https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=3), otherwise your Pinsound will stutter.

The bad news is, if you want to get all of that. you're looking at a 700 Euro investment. Personally, I think it's well worth it, but YMMV.

As for what to do with the old sound board: NEVER give it away. Who knows - perhaps you'll want to sell your machine in 10 or 20 years, and then some collector might pay a premium for having a machine will all the original parts. If you sell your board, you'll probably get 50 bucks and that's it.

PS: If you're shelling out all the dough, get a colorDMD while you're at it.

#3301 4 years ago

If you're interested in the shaker option for SWDE, I posted a review and pics here:
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/pinsound-shaker-erster-test.211591/

It's in German, but you'll get it from the pics. PM me if if you have questions.

2 months later
#3440 4 years ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

Just got a copy of the main metal ramp for Star Wars Data East. Thinking hard about remaking the stainless steel ramp. Anyone interested in that ?
Kerry - Mantis

Here!

4 weeks later
#3466 4 years ago

I have a pinsound + shaker in my SWDE, really adds to the gameplay!

4 months later
1 month later
#3662 3 years ago

Get a ColorDMD!

#3666 3 years ago

Oh, if you have pinsound - get the shaker. I did the programming for SWDE and it REALLY enhances the gameplay.

#3683 3 years ago

The drop targets reset as soon as the last one is hit.

#3688 3 years ago

And get the shaker kit while you‘re at it!

2 weeks later
#3694 3 years ago

Go to switch test and see if you have a stuck switch somewhere.

2 weeks later
2 months later
#3741 3 years ago

I added LEDOCD and GIOCD to my SWDE, was worth it. Smoothes out the hard on/off caused by the LEDs.

#3748 3 years ago

Try an LEDOCD. That fixes it.

1 week later
#3787 3 years ago

Very solid advice! Take many, many pictures. From all angles. And then some more.

#3807 3 years ago

Nice work, mate! Can't wait to see the final result.

1 week later
#3838 3 years ago

Awesomeness!

4 weeks later
#3868 3 years ago

Agreed. Totally worth it.

#3883 3 years ago

If you want to take it even further, get the PinSound Shaker as well. There's a shaker configuration for SWDE available (or I can send it to you). The haptic feedback from the shaker takes your machine to yet another level.

2 weeks later
#3951 3 years ago

I like the 2nd one better.

3 weeks later
#3972 3 years ago

Sounds to me like a problem with the ribbon cable. Check direction, reseat a few times.

1 month later
#3986 2 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

I grabbed the Ministry ones. Love em. Get lots of compliments.

Just finished my restauration, have the Ministry ones as well. Looks great and was easy to install, just needed a bit of trimming under the backbox and for the button holes.

swde.gifswde.gif
4 weeks later
#3993 2 years ago

Power booster is absolutely necessary to avoid the music cutting out. You should also consider replacing the stock speakers. Personally, I‘d recommend the headphones station for easy volume adjustment on the fly and for switching orchestrations. Oh, and you could consider adding the shaker. I like it a lot on my pin.

4 weeks later
#4012 2 years ago

And if you feed them any lubricants they turn evil.

2 months later
#4089 2 years ago

I love the PinSound Shaker as well for the SWDE. Adds to the fun.

2 weeks later
#4105 2 years ago

...and the PinSound shaker while you're at it!

#4111 2 years ago

Keep in mind that the PinSound does NOT make a difference wheb you use the original sounds only (unless you want the shaker). It will still be the old crappy quality, because it’s playing the same low-fi sound samples that are on the eproms. Only when you switch to one of the new mixes you‘ll have hifi music quality.

4 months later
#4181 2 years ago

Definitely a round switch!

1 month later
#4221 1 year ago
Quoted from mannclay:

Hello Pinheads!
So, i purchased a Data East Star Wars machine that came with the pin2dmd color LED screen. The code was 1.02. I updated the code to 1.07 and after some time, the color is now off on the screen. Seems like some colors are not working.
Has any dealt with something like this with pin2dmd?
[quoted image]

Is the license file intact? Did you set the right color palette? Try a factory reset?

5 months later
#4325 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I will check the switches. I found out that I have another issue. After changing the dmd to a color dmd the diagnostics menu appears to be blank. Does anyone else have this issue and how do I remedy the issue?

ColorDMD or Pin2DMD? the Pin2DMD colorization by CB3 has a bug, he never finished working on the menues. You'll have to remove the card, use the menu, put it back. The ColorDMD works flawlessly.

#4327 1 year ago

Change the default palette. That should do the trick.

#4330 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I am new to this. Where and how do you change the color palette?

Use the on screen menu:
The onscreen menu

The menu can be activated by holding one of the two buttons (menu/option or Btn1/Btn2 on EVO boards) during boot. You can also navigate through the menu with these two buttons. You should adjust the rgb sequence of your panels that the boot splash colors look like the picture on top of this page (red left, yellow right) You can also access additional parameters like devicemode, default palette, brightness, display the Unique Device ID etc.

You can also use the editor:
https://pin2dmd.com/tool/

2 weeks later
#4348 1 year ago

I can recommend the pinsound shaker as well. Really adds to the immersve fun.

#4350 1 year ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

So I never heard of this device. Thanks for the post. I have a data east Simpsons and desw. neither of my machines have this hum. I have replaced the woofers on both of these machines. I don't remember if they had the hum prior, but even this filter doesn't seem to get rid of all the hum on the website video. And my machines have exactly no hum. I'm thinking maybe this is a speaker problem? Anybody else have this hum?

It's very common with DE machines.

#4353 1 year ago

Did you get the shaker as well?

#4356 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I did, it's great!

I know, right? I find it augments the gameflow without being intrusive.

3 weeks later
#4360 1 year ago

You definitely need the power booster, everything is plug and play. Get the shaker too - really enhances gameplay.

#4364 1 year ago

I recently die mine. Let me know if you want pics. Good luck!

Oliver

#4370 1 year ago

Oh wow, that is AWESOME.

2 weeks later
#4387 1 year ago

Awesomeness.

#4392 1 year ago

Honestly? The red looks cheap. I'd prefer silver or black (ideally with black powder coated legs as well). But that's my personal opinion, YMMV.

#4397 1 year ago

Did you try changing adj. 36 Coils Pulse? You can set Normal, Soft or Hard. See if that fixes it for you.

1 month later
#4422 1 year ago

DE fuses are notorious for falling apart. You gotta replace the holders. Don‘t do the broken ones only, replace them all (or pay someone to do it if you aren‘t proficient). A lot of bad things can happen when the fuses don‘t work or fall apart and cause shorts…

3 weeks later
#4439 1 year ago

Don‘t forget to check the EOS switch as well!

#4446 1 year ago

Same on mine. It‘s not attached anywhere, just rests lightly on the lower plastic.

1 week later
#4451 1 year ago

Is it the stock sound board or does it have a Pinsound upgrade? Also, check all fuses and 5v and 12V voltages.

1 month later
#4476 12 months ago
Quoted from OtherLebowski:

dude, this is fantastic! Wow! nice job. Ok, time for a Pinsound package. Also, love the green led mod you did on the Death Star laser. I have to snag that idea as well.

I totally recommend the shaker. Since the effects are programmed into the firmware you can use any orchestration.

#4479 12 months ago
Quoted from cwachs:

I just picked up a DESW that is in decent condition. Playable but need some plastics replaced and a bit of ramp work. Play field is in good condition and the cabinet was repainted and cleaned not too long before I picked it up. This really is a fun game to play. It is seeing almost more play time than my Rush.
I have ordered a pinsound card for it, a shaker and a LED kit (almost all lights are still incandescent). Looks like firmware is 1.04 but I can't tell which exact firmware - or have not figure out how to check that yet.
I am planning on getting Chads firmware for this. I see a handful of options for upgrading and I'm going to ask a basic question here... I don't have a ROM burner so I am going to get the chips pre-configured and throw Chad some bones. If I am using the pinsound card and sounds downloaded to it, do I need to upgrade the sound ROM? Are those sound ROM chips on the old (factory) sound card? Do I need anything more than just the 1.07 CPU ROM chip? The game has the original orange LED and I plan on keeping that for now so do I need a display ROM upgrade as well?
Thanks! I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I begin to dig into this game more and work on some additional issues.

Heya and congrats!
I can totally recommend Chad's ROM. Totally worth it, makes the game much better. Also I'd suggest investing in an NVRAM so you can ditch the batteries completely. As for the LED, both Pin2DMD and ColorDMD colorizations are well done, but ColorDMD has become quite pricey lately. On the other hand, it's easy to revert back to original if you ever plan to sell the pin.

#4483 11 months ago
Quoted from cwachs:

Installed the pinsound yesterday along with the shaker. Man they ship fast from France! I can't stop laughing at the Family Guy sound file. I keep playing the game just to hear more lines from that. Was one of my favorite episodes as well.
I have set the game at a 5.5% angle, a full 1% less than the manual recommends, and it still feels incredibly fast - much faster than my Rush which is sitting at a 7% angle. I also have an issue of the ball draining instantly on a launch after going straight through the pop bumpers. Happens almost 3/4 of the time I launch a ball. Is this normal? Suggestions for fixing that? I am waiting on Chad's ROM before I start messing with adjustments - right now it is all factory settings.

Try tilting the table a tiny bit left or right, then the ball should hit the bumpers instead.

#4490 11 months ago

Whoa!

6 months later
#4568 5 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Data East Star Wars O.E.M. does not have the program for the shaker motor.
I believe a sound mode system has a port to add a shaker motor to its system.

THe stock firmware indeed does not include shaker code. You can however install the pinsound shaker. I made the shaker effects they included in the firmware, and I think it expands the experience but does not distract. Unfortunately you need the Pinsound sound board as well (because the shaker effects are actually triggered by the sound effects), so you're looking at quite an investment (several hundred $$$). However, if you're looking to upgrade the sound of your machine anyway or even replace the stock music and callouts, this is the way to go. It's all non-destructive except for 4 holes you need to drill into the bottom of your cab to bolt the shaker down.

#4570 5 months ago

Look at that! That's new!

#4572 5 months ago

Which sound pack is that?

#4576 5 months ago

It does indeed!

1 month later
#4599 3 months ago

I opted for cold white because it gives a better sci-fi vibe. Warm white makes it look more vintage. I highly recommend using the same white for all lights (GI/Flasher/Inserts), just a few colored ones for special effects and for the vertical plastics (e.g. over the ramp and the drop-down targets). Using colored LEDs for the inserts and the backbox is too much IMHO.

#4605 3 months ago

Or toss them in a tumbler!

1 week later
#4613 3 months ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Hey guys, I continue to disassemble my Star Wars. I ran across the scoop and its got a twist to it. Is this normal? It seems strange but I can't imagine how a ball bouncing around would torque it to the point where it looks like this, so before I take a vice to it I thought I would ask.
edit, found an old post with a pic. It looks like its not bent so I am going to assume mine needs to be bent back into alignment
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/11#post-1897420
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes. Mine looks the same.

#4624 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Finally joined the club. Game came with Pinsound . (Seller didn’t even mention it. Game is for my church, so he was very generous in the price negotiations and even brought it over)
Do you guys think it’s worth getting the ColorDMD for this title?

YES! Get the LED version!

1 week later
#4665 3 months ago

Chad was thinking about re-activating the interactive speeder mode, but AFAIK it didn‘t happen yet.

#4667 3 months ago

Pity. Would be a great update, just like the random caves in STTNG LX-8!

1 month later
#4702 43 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Update from the long time audio issue I've been having:
For quite some time, the sound in my game has been super glitchy. Lots of Obi-Wan repeating "may the force be with you" over and over. Or just nothing.
A couple months ago, a friend came over to help troubleshoot. We tested all the fuses and they all checked out. Then after replacing them all and turning the game on, the sound worked. Played through several games with no issues. My friend said it might have just been a loose connection between a fuse and its holder.
Game played fine for a couple months. Then this weekend I had a few friends over for a pinball night. Star Wars got played quite a bit. Couple of stuck balls, but the sound was great. Then, the next morning, the same audio glitch as before came back. I popped all the fuses out and in again, and that worked...for one game. Then it came back.
So today, I pulled the power supply board in order to reflow solder on the backs of all the fuse holders. I did that, and have played through four games now with no issues. Fingers crossed that that was actually the problem.

thanks for posting your experience. Stuff like this will be super helpful for future pinheads who experience similar problems.

#4704 43 days ago

They‘re good! Can recommend them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
PinSound

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oradke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=oradke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.