(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 95.
#4051 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

I found a couple connectors in my cabinet not connected. Any ideas where these go or what they could be used for? For one the wires and black and white, the other grey-white and grey-brown. Everything seems to be working/kicking/lighting up, so are these extra or "for future use"?
I'm also wondering if the black/white pair might be used for something like additional playfield lighting. It looks those 2 wires are coming directly from the power input box. I've seen where folks have added new lights and other features, and there's always a discussion of where to draw power. (I have not checked either for voltage.)
I have more pictures (inside and out) up at: https://www.catandsean.org/category/pinball/
[quoted image][quoted image]

Bill validator for front coin door.

#4052 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bill validator for front coin door.

Thank you! I have no bill validator, so that would explain why they are un-used.

#4053 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Does anyone know where I can get this piece of plastic? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks!

I bought a reproduction set from eBay seller denisw last year. He was just making replacements for those exact plastics. The listing no longer exists, but I would recommend reaching out to him and see if he is still able to reproduce them. When you do find them, I also highly recommend a plastic protector set for that area because that's a really common issue.

#4054 2 years ago

Hello
Just picked up a pretty nice SWDE
Does anyone have the paint code or color I need for a few cabinet touch ups?

It’s just the main blue color.

I was hoping a company made it but am unable to locate.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

#4055 2 years ago
Quoted from cldavis2009:

Hello
Just picked up a pretty nice SWDE
Does anyone have the paint code or color I need for a few cabinet touch ups?
It’s just the main blue color.
I was hoping a company made it but am unable to locate.
Any help is appreciated
Thank you

I found this:

https://www.pinballshark.com/data-east-star-wars-cabinet-restoration/img_2194/

#4056 2 years ago

Finally installed my NOS R2-D2 that a kind soul gave me a few years back. He's now hopping and bopping all lit up!

I also found that you can now get replacement R2-D2 bodies from: https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/star-wars-data-east/?p=1

3 weeks later
#4057 2 years ago

Is it normal for this Pin to not finish a movie phrase when the ball hits something that triggers another phrase?

#4058 2 years ago

Sometimes on a Pinsound it will. Not sure about the original sound board

#4059 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

Is it normal for this Pin to not finish a movie phrase when the ball hits something that triggers another phrase?

The game does not have a memory stack for the DMD calls..like GnR has.
Once a switch calls an action... another switch can override it.
It is one of the downsides the game suffered from having the code rewritten
during Williams lawsuit against Data East.

#4060 2 years ago

I've had this Pin since the mid nineties, it was my first and I just started having a problem. When the Pin is off for a while, it takes about 10 mins. to "warm up" before I can start playing, what would cause this?

#4061 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

I've had this Pin since the mid nineties, it was my first and I just started having a problem. When the Pin is off for a while, it takes about 10 mins. to "warm up" before I can start playing, what would cause this?

Warmup?
1) power supply caps are leaking/bleeding +5 volt reg.
2) DMD degassing...

#4062 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Sometimes on a Pinsound it will. Not sure about the original sound board

Agree re Pinsound. Om my favorite sound set, when the ball drains you hear the Darth Vader line "Impressive...but you're not a Jedi yet." Sometimes the "not a Jedi" line gets truncated and a new scene starts. Regardless, it's still much better than the original.

#4063 2 years ago

Hi

I’m new to this hobby and group. However this machine is my all time favorite from when I was a kid. I’m ISO of one. If anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated!

#4064 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Warmup?
1) power supply caps are leaking/bleeding +5 volt reg.
2) DMD degassing...

By warmup I mean, I turn the machine on, I hear a thump, which was normal and some lights come on but nothing else. Then after about 10 minutes Obi Wan's voice sounds like Max Headroom, Ma Ma May the For For Force be with you, then he speaks correctly and things work like normal. It won't happen if I turn it off then on again right away.

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

By warmup I mean, I turn the machine on, I hear a thump, which was normal and some lights come on but nothing else. Then after about 10 minutes Obi Wan's voice sounds like Max Headroom, Ma Ma May the For For Force be with you, then he speaks correctly and things work like normal. It won't happen if I turn it off then on again right away.

Power supply caps.
Re-seat the connectors...

#4066 2 years ago
Quoted from Tdflyers78:

Hi
I’m new to this hobby and group. However this machine is my all time favorite from when I was a kid. I’m ISO of one. If anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated!

I will have one shortly which will be unshopped but working, but I am in the Chicagoland area.

#4067 2 years ago

Anybody know where to get the cabinet rocket power switch? It probably can be picked up at Home Depot but curious if there is a Marcos or official Data East part # available

The original part number 180-5001-00 does not seem to be available anymore. Mine is labeled "CARLING 9249" But their site (carlingtech.com) has nothing on it. (Not surprising given the passage of time.) Marco has a rectangular toggle 180-5001-03. (Currently out of stock, but available from Pinball Life https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-onoff-rocker-switch.html )

I'm replying to this old post because I need to replace my switch, but I'd rather not have to cut the cabinet to fit the rectangular in place of the round original.

Has anyone put in a new round-mounting power switch? Would you expect this to work? Double pole single throw (DP/ST) and 0.5" mounting hole match the original, as does 20A@125VAC.
https://www.youdoitelectronics.com/catalog/product/view/id/8230/s/philmore-dpst-on-off-heavy-duty-toggle-switch-30-345

PXL_20210912_203651710 (resized).jpgPXL_20210912_203651710 (resized).jpg
#4068 2 years ago

I had to replace my power switch...
I was shocked that the housing assembly is made of plastic.
Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Data East was definitely wanted their games to disintegrate.
Engineered obsolescence at it's best.

#4069 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

Has anyone put in a new round-mounting power switch? Would you expect this to work? Double pole single throw (DP/ST) and 0.5" mounting hole match the original, as does 20A@125VAC.
https://www.youdoitelectronics.com/catalog/product/view/id/8230/s/philmore-dpst-on-off-heavy-duty-toggle-switch-30-345

Answer: Yes.

2 weeks later
#4070 2 years ago

I've had my machine up and running now for over a month, and it is great! It's been out of service for nearly 20 years. I have the machine working really good, with a cleaned up playfield, new rubbers, new pops, led's, fuses, balls, switch adjustments, installed Cliffy's, etc. I even downloaded the pinball adjustment app to level and set the playfield incline. I have the newest CPU Rom that I have not yet installed. Want to get familiar with the old software to appreciate the new stuff. I've really enjoyed getting this machine back to normal. Playing it is so rewarding knowing I was able to do the work myself. The last thing I have to do is replace all of the yellow targets. I have translucent red ones to replace them.

One thing I've noticed is that the Force shot is much harder to make with the Cliffy installed. I'm thinking I may remove it, it's pretty frustrating. Also I don't know how much longer I can hold out without the "FREEZE" option that the new ROM has. Sometimes, you don't even get a chance to touch a flipper to a ball because it drains so fast coming through the pops on a new ball launch. Super annoying. Sometimes it gets you twice in a row! These machines were definitely designed to take your quarters originally.

#4071 2 years ago

I think it was rushed unfinished code. We did the same thing tho, played the original ROM to appreciate the new 1.07 ChadH did. I have to say though, when you do it a whole new game and very enjoyable.

#4072 2 years ago

I bought another Star Wars and looking for the target decals I had bought when I had the game a few years ago.

They were decals for the yellow standups and one decal was for the Deathstar door. I looked on eBay and didn't find them. Anyone know the ones I mean?

#4073 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I bought another Star Wars and looking for the target decals I had bought when I had the game a few years ago.
They were decals for the yellow standups and one decal was for the Deathstar door. I looked on eBay and didn't find them. Anyone know the ones I mean?

Are these the decals you're looking for?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desw-data-east-star-wars-drop-target-decals-free-download-

Scroll down for the x-wing and death star targets.

#4074 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

Are these the decals you're looking for?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desw-data-east-star-wars-drop-target-decals-free-download-
Scroll down for the x-wing and death star targets.

Not the same ones, but very nice....and FREE! Thanks.

#4075 2 years ago

Follow up and a question. I did replace the switch, easy peasy. Pics:
https://www.catandsean.org/2021/10/01/data-east-star-wars-a-fixed-switch/

And the question, any recommendations on cleaning the force & sarlacc scoops and inside the death star?

I'm deep into vid's thread on play field cleaning, and there's an emphasis on checking the balls (which makes sense since they're the thing touching the pf the most). So if there's dirt or other stuff under the pf that scratches the balls, that will in turn affect the pf.

So tips on cleaning the subterranean play areas?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#4076 2 years ago

The Star Wars DE lighted flipper kit is now available at http://www.ArcadeMade.com

Kits can be made for other games than shown on request, more are being added.

3C27E17E-C44C-40B0-9945-ADF1553665C2 (resized).jpeg3C27E17E-C44C-40B0-9945-ADF1553665C2 (resized).jpeg
#4077 2 years ago

Having an issue with my R2D2 head not spinning. Can someone point or show me a short video of how the gears work inside?

Much appreciated.

IMG_3085 (resized).jpgIMG_3085 (resized).jpgIMG_3086 (resized).jpgIMG_3086 (resized).jpgIMG_3084 (resized).jpgIMG_3084 (resized).jpgIMG_3083 (resized).jpgIMG_3083 (resized).jpg
#4078 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Having an issue with my R2D2 head not spinning. Can someone point or show me a short video of how the gears work inside?
Much appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

O.K.
1) you are posting pix of the GI circuitry.
2) R2D2 head is tied to the Death Star relay.
2a) the Death Star relay is under the playfield.
2b) is the Death Star model moving when a game is started?
2c) check for cold solder joints on the Death Star relay.
2d) does the Death Star relay click during solenoid test?
2e) power voltage to R23D2, Death Star, and Bar Target motor is 28 volts AC
--- from BR2. [ WHT-RED ].

#4079 2 years ago

I’m simple terms:

Resolder or replace the relay under the PF - this will fix R2 spinning
Replace your power driver board with an Xpin - yours looks jacked

#4080 2 years ago

Replace your power driver board with an Xpin - yours looks jacked

Both are easy repairs, new headers would set them right quick.

#4081 2 years ago

Hi everybody,

Can someone tell the part number (or exact size) of the cap bumper screws ?
(can't find it on the manual..)

thx

#4082 2 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Hi everybody,
thx

Try #4004-01005-10 [ 4-40 X 5/8" ] Marco Specialties

#4083 2 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Hi everybody,
thx

I used these from Lowe's. I know you are in France, but surely you can find something similar in your area.

20211011_004815 (resized).jpg20211011_004815 (resized).jpg
#4084 2 years ago

Hello All!

I'm new here, I just bought my first pinball machine, a DE Star Wars machine. I LOVE it!

Quick question, I'm having trouble with the inner right ramp (yoda/C3PO ramp). Everything seems to work correctly, but it won't ever give me credit for hitting the lane when I'm on that requirement. For example, I can't ever earn an extra ball even though it is lit, nor get the master yoda bonus when lit, etc. This did function correctly once or twice when I was first learning the game, however no such luck now that I understand how the game works. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!!

#4085 2 years ago

Bad switch in that lane. Go into the switch tests and exercise that switch. If it doesn’t register it’s bad and you’ll need to replace it

#4086 2 years ago

Bad switch in that lane. Go into the switch tests and exercise that switch. If it doesn’t register it’s bad and you’ll need to replace it

To add on the above: could be broken diode or broken "daisy chained" switch strobe wire.

#4087 2 years ago

Thank you thechakapakuni and @vec-tor! I was able to fix it simply by unplugging the switch and plugging it back in. I know that probably is not the permanent fix, but we will see. It also allowed me to learn how to lift the board all the way to it's upright position, something I had been afraid to do in the past.

If either of you has any suggestions on best/first upgrades to do, please share. I will be getting new balls, replacing rubber parts and waxing the board soon. Some medium term upgrades would be LEDs and possibly the Pinsound boards.

Some maintenance items would be the loud speaker hum and the hum of the DeathStar motor.

#4088 2 years ago

Glad it’s working. Pinsound and the 1.07 Rom upgrades are a must. ColorDMD is also a nice add.

#4089 2 years ago

I love the PinSound Shaker as well for the SWDE. Adds to the fun.

#4090 2 years ago

Looking for a little help. The Star Wars I picked up is missing a bunch of screws at the boards in the backbox.

Anyone have the part number for those. Was going to take one of the screws to Lowes and check, but I need to order some parts anyway.

Thanks for any help.

16348597601881753371507940063644 (resized).jpg16348597601881753371507940063644 (resized).jpg
#4091 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Looking for a little help. The Star Wars I picked up is missing a bunch of screws at the boards in the backbox.
Anyone have the part number for those. Was going to take one of the screws to Lowes and check, but I need to order some parts anyway.
Thanks for any help.
[quoted image]

8-32 Phillips pan head screws OEM are self threading...
1/2" long or a bit shorter.

#4092 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

8-32 Phillips pan head screws OEM are self threading...
1/2" long or a bit shorter.

Thanks so much.

1 week later
#4093 2 years ago

First post but Ive owned my machine for about 15 years and still love it
Im very careful with mods, want to keep the original feeling but I when I found thoose sideblades I thought they looked just right and after installing them I must say they look amazing

0A744AD0-FB5C-4785-BD23-E16467CCC926 (resized).jpeg0A744AD0-FB5C-4785-BD23-E16467CCC926 (resized).jpeg42E85F03-0304-4225-87B2-2875728A1248 (resized).jpeg42E85F03-0304-4225-87B2-2875728A1248 (resized).jpeg729CDD97-EF9B-4C9D-9636-CB9A61483154 (resized).jpeg729CDD97-EF9B-4C9D-9636-CB9A61483154 (resized).jpeg
#4094 2 years ago

Looks good. Where did you get them at?

#4095 2 years ago

Ministry of Pinball. I have them on my machine as well. They look amazing! I like sideboard decals that match the art on the playfield.

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6656/s/star-wars-sideboard-decals/

#4096 2 years ago

Did y'all have have to remove the playfield entirely to install the side blades?

#4097 2 years ago

Nope, I raised it into one position and positioned the blade and then moved the playfield to another position and fastned the blade some more and continiud until it fitted perfect, it took about 20 minutes each

#4098 2 years ago

A friend has one he’s considering selling. Nice condition. In idaho.

Quoted from highstream:

First post but Ive owned my machine for about 15 years and still love it
Im very careful with mods, want to keep the original feeling but I when I found thoose sideblades I thought they looked just right and after installing them I must say they look amazing
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love those! Fits with the art perfectly!

#4099 2 years ago

I just noticed that in the ”shoot the TIE Fighter mode” at start there is a regular TIE Fighter in the first ball but the second and third ball is a TIE Interceptor, quite cool

#4100 2 years ago

Make sure you get the 1.07 chad code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.