(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 95.
#4201 1 year ago

Mike’s pins. Thanks. Several years ago ( before toppers became the overpriced rage), I bought a DV matchbox style car holder from Disneyworld. I told folks where I got it, and that I was thinking of mounting it on top of my machine with screws. I got several responses, mostly all saying I would never mount anything on top of my machine with screws- it would ruin the value of the machine.

My, how times have changed!

1EF2564C-5AAA-4553-8C32-02F61453422A (resized).jpeg1EF2564C-5AAA-4553-8C32-02F61453422A (resized).jpegB7D75387-9502-4E56-87CA-B6885CE42413 (resized).jpegB7D75387-9502-4E56-87CA-B6885CE42413 (resized).jpeg
#4202 1 year ago

As a DE Star Wars owner I think the Vader topper is about the cheesiest topper going. Its like they spent all the money for the license and didn't have enough left over for a proper topper and shaker motor.

#4203 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Are these like the original pop bumpers in the game?

Sort of… Star Wars was one of the few games where the whole red top went up and down with the pop ring. Those appear to be stationary tops. They will work, and will play the same, but will be slightly visually different.

#4204 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Sort of… Star Wars was one of the few games where the whole red top went up and down with the pop ring. Those appear to be stationary tops. They will work, and will play the same, but will be slightly visually different.

I wanted to keep it with the top moving up and down. Dammit.

Thanks.

#4205 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I'm going to put an LCD color DMD in my star wars. I understand there will be some mods to do. Do I want to get the stern version of the color DMD to work with star wars?

#4206 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Hey everyone. I'm going to put an LCD color DMD in my star wars. I understand there will be some mods to do. Do I want to get the stern version of the color DMD to work with star wars?

I don't see an LCD version available for DESW only the LED version (which is AWESOME!).

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-star-wars-pinball-machine/

Unfortunately looks like there's been a shortage of parts needed to make these so they're out of stock at the moment.

-Paul

#4207 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

You will have to modify your speaker panel if you choose to do an LCD. It's been done, but "out of the box" the LED version is the only plug-and-play solution.

#4208 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

You will have to modify your speaker panel if you choose to do an LCD. It's been done, but "out of the box" the LED version is the only plug-and-play solution.

So yeah as I mentioned I'm aware of the mods. There's posts on pinside on how to do it.
There's also an LCD software version available via email to the company.

#4209 1 year ago

Hmm … where does this go?

F6C20FFE-C76A-4C46-81C8-637580FEF080 (resized).jpegF6C20FFE-C76A-4C46-81C8-637580FEF080 (resized).jpeg
#4210 1 year ago

Alright thinking about painting and redoing my cabinet, anyone know a color match for the blue paint on this game or some really sweet looking decals for it?

#4211 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright thinking about painting and redoing my cabinet, anyone know a color match for the blue paint on this game or some really sweet looking decals for it?

I bought the repro silkscreened art from Phoenix Arcade to use on my cab at some point. I'll probably take a small sample of the decal to a paint shop to have them color match it

https://www.phoenixarcade.com/products/star-wars/star-wars-data-east-pinball-cabinet-decal-set

#4212 1 year ago
Quoted from Beez:

Hmm … where does this go?
[quoted image]

That goes by the lamp.flasher standup by R2D2
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4213 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That goes by the lamp.flasher standup by R2D2
[quoted image][quoted image]

THANK YOU

#4214 1 year ago

I've been putting off reassembly of my coin door mechs because I can't decide what color to go with the bezels.

I can still play it on free play as it sits, so it's been this way for months.

Red?
White?
Blue?
Leave them black?

Anyone have an opinion they care to share?
Thanks.

20220511_074229 (resized).jpg20220511_074229 (resized).jpg20220511_074406 (resized).jpg20220511_074406 (resized).jpg
#4215 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

I've been putting off reassembly of my coin door mechs because I can't decide what color to go with the bezels.
Red?
White?
Blue?
Leave them black?
Thanks.

Have you tried grey/metal color?

#4216 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Red?
White?
Blue?
Leave them black?
Thanks.

Black or red would look cool! Either way grab some 3D coin return buttons from Rocket City Pinball!

#4217 1 year ago

Hello Pinheads!

So, i purchased a Data East Star Wars machine that came with the pin2dmd color LED screen. The code was 1.02. I updated the code to 1.07 and after some time, the color is now off on the screen. Seems like some colors are not working.

Has any dealt with something like this with pin2dmd?

IMG_2081 (resized).jpegIMG_2081 (resized).jpeg
#4218 1 year ago

Hello Pinheads!

So, i purchased a Data East Star Wars machine that came with the pin2dmd color LED screen. The code was 1.02. I updated the code to 1.07 and after some time, the color is now off on the screen. Seems like some colors are not working.

#4219 1 year ago
Quoted from mannclay:

Hello Pinheads!
[quoted image]

You have the latest code? https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/5503-star-wars-data-east-colorization/

Also check out the known issues - that might be listed, although the author doesn't list 1.07 as supported. Might want to reach out.

#4220 1 year ago
Quoted from GoodOmens:

You have the latest code? https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/5503-star-wars-data-east-colorization/
Also check out the known issues - that might be listed, although the author doesn't list 1.07 as supported. Might want to reach out.

Yes thanks for responding. I'll need to reach out.

#4221 1 year ago
Quoted from mannclay:

Hello Pinheads!
[quoted image]

Is the license file intact? Did you set the right color palette? Try a factory reset?

1 week later
#4222 1 year ago

Question for guys with pinsound, I’m going to order the speakers and sound board but did any of you buy the power booster cable? Is it needed?

#4223 1 year ago

Always a good thing to have with Data East games.

#4224 1 year ago
Quoted from Enki:

Question for guys with pinsound, I’m going to order the speakers and sound board but did any of you buy the power booster cable? Is it needed?

Absolutely buy the booster! Love my Pinsound!!

#4225 1 year ago
Quoted from Enki:

Yup, get it

#4226 1 year ago
Quoted from Enki:

I have a pinsound plus and headphone station without the power booster and haven't had any problems.

I don't think there's any downside (other than cost) if you add a booster where it's not needed. You can always check the power from the CN2 connector to see if the voltage is enough for the pinsound. You should have:
pin 1: +5 VDC
pin 2: ground
pin 3: -12 VDC
pin 6: +12 VDC

3 weeks later
#4227 1 year ago

Okay so I got the pinsound hooked up and I’m blown away by the sound compared to the original. What a difference. Only thing I’ve noticed is when I get the Death Star shot during the sequence he doesn’t say “standing by” anymore. Anyone else had or has this problem and if so how did you go about fixing it?

2 weeks later
#4228 1 year ago

Happy Fourth of July! We did a block party today and I set up T2 and DESW in a garage for the neighbors and kiddos to enjoy. Hope everyone has a great fourth!

AD0669A2-0ACF-43C8-B992-7522A4CFF3AB (resized).jpegAD0669A2-0ACF-43C8-B992-7522A4CFF3AB (resized).jpegF939CD70-DEDD-4E34-8EBD-3B86AD1B4019 (resized).jpegF939CD70-DEDD-4E34-8EBD-3B86AD1B4019 (resized).jpeg
#4229 1 year ago

Good day all. In the process of purchasing a DE Star Wars. Looking forward to reading the forums while waiting for the machine to arrive.

#4230 1 year ago
Quoted from bajm:

Happy Fourth of July! We did a block party today and I set up T2 and DESW in a garage for the neighbors and kiddos to enjoy. Hope everyone has a great fourth!

This is great, I'm sure everyone enjoyed it. My wife and I talk about doing this on our block also, and these are the 2 games I would setup!

1 week later
#4231 1 year ago

Recently purchased a DE Star Wars. I am in the process of totally restoring the game. I completed a full checkout of the machine and found a cracked plastic for the Death Star drop target. I purchased the target and plate from Marco, however the guide piece is not available. Does anyone know where to get one or have a good used one for sale? The part number is 545-5351-00. There is a pic of it

F30B467D-048C-4BA6-A430-FB0A716F50F0 (resized).jpegF30B467D-048C-4BA6-A430-FB0A716F50F0 (resized).jpeg
#4232 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Recently purchased a DE Star Wars. I am in the process of totally restoring the game. I completed a full checkout of the machine and found a cracked plastic for the Death Star drop target. I purchased the target and plate from Marco, however the guide piece is not available. Does anyone know where to get one or have a good used one for sale? The part number is 545-5351-00. There is a pic of it
[quoted image]

I had a buddy print one up for me. It's stronger than the original.

#4233 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I had a buddy print one up for me. It's stronger than the original.

The part you are showing is available. It’s the guide that I am looking to acquire. Has this person printed the guide?

1 week later
#4234 1 year ago

Flipper help needed. My left flipper has stopped working. I’ve replaced the coil and the switch, to no avail. This has exhausted my skills, which are literally trial and error. Any suggestions for further diagnosing and fixing the problem? I have a multi-meter, but don’t know all of the technical things to look for. Thanks, Dave

#4235 1 year ago

Just began restoring one of these for a friend. I have a very long way to go. First things first, get the game booting. Boards look good, missing all of the ROMs. No battery damage. Playfield is partially disassembled with a nice big bag full of parts.

Wish me luck. I'll probably need help from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Flash

#4236 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

[quoted image]

I am in the same boat. I plan to have mine 3D scanned and printed soon. I will gladly print a second one for you.

#4237 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I am in the same boat. I plan to have mine 3D scanned and printed soon. I will gladly print a second one for you.

Awesome please keep me posted as I would like one for my restoration.

#4238 1 year ago

I am working on a complete restoration of my DESW. There seems to be two remaining issues other than a part that I am looking for.
Issue one is that occasionally during game play the skill shot does not work. The ball is in the trough ready to shoot however the sequence does not play and the game is stalled. Pressing the skill shot button does not work at this point. The game goes through the sequence of firing the coils but still doesn’t start. I have checked the ball trough and shooter lane switches in switch test and they all register when triggered. Not sure what to check next.
Issue two is not a game changer but is annoying. During initial game startup the voice call out is cut short. Not sure how to fix this. I have searched the many posts but I have not found a solution.
Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.

#4239 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I would be interested in the stl if possible, for future replacement. Would you be kind enough to put it up on thingiverse?

Quoted from gstanczuk:

I am working on a complete restoration of my DESW. There seems to be two remaining issues other than a part that I am looking for.
Issue one is that occasionally during game play the skill shot does not work. The ball is in the trough ready to shoot however the sequence does not play and the game is stalled. Pressing the skill shot button does not work at this point. The game goes through the sequence of firing the coils but still doesn’t start. I have checked the ball trough and shooter lane switches in switch test and they all register when triggered. Not sure what to check next.
Issue two is not a game changer but is annoying. During initial game startup the voice call out is cut short. Not sure how to fix this. I have searched the many posts but I have not found a solution.
Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.

This happened to mine as well. The reason was me hitting the flippers before the ball launch caused one of the target switches to activate, delaying the ball launch. Are there points on the dmd when this happens? If so, perhaps one of your switches contact points are too close or touching, causing points to score before the ball is launched.

#4240 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

During initial game startup the voice call out is cut short. Not sure how to fix this.

Its normal on almost all DE titles. 100% normal.

#4241 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I'll see if I can duplicate the problem on mine tonight, what MPU rom revision are you running?

#4242 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'll see if I can duplicate the problem on mine tonight, what MPU rom revision are you running?

The current rom is showing as unofficial 1.07. I do have a new rom but have to installed it.

#4243 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I would be interested in the stl if possible, for future replacement. Would you be kind enough to put it up on thingiverse?

This happened to mine as well. The reason was me hitting the flippers before the ball launch caused one of the target switches to activate, delaying the ball launch. Are there points on the dmd when this happens? If so, perhaps one of your switches contact points are too close or touching, causing points to score before the ball is launched.

I will check that later today when I continue working on it. Thx

#4244 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Its normal on almost all DE titles. 100% normal.

I had read that in several posts but was hoping that some one would have a fix. My Tommy and Jurassic Park do not have the sound cutoff issue.

#4245 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

The current rom is showing as unofficial 1.07. I do have a new rom but have to installed it.

I'm running Chad's as well, so no problem there.

Run through for us what happens in detail.

The ball just launches from the trough to the shooter lane and then it does nothing? Ball search should kick it out at some point.

#4246 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I had read that in several posts but was hoping that some one would have a fix. My Tommy and Jurassic Park do not have the sound cutoff issue.

Its very common, longer "boot up" sounds may get clipped depending on title.

I have had 17 Data East titles, I can assure you its not unusual.

#4247 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm running Chad's as well, so no problem there.
Run through for us what happens in detail.
The ball just launches from the trough to the shooter lane and then it does nothing? Ball search should kick it out at some point.

The game starts and during one the subsequent balls (never the same ball) the ball is placed in the shooter lane and the skill shot sequence doesn’t start. The ball search starts and retries but no ball launch. All the ball switches have been checked in switch test mode repeatedly and all switches register when triggered. Short of replacing all the switches which may not fix the issue, I am unsure of where to check. I didn’t realize that the game had 1.07 chip and bought one, so I can change the chip just in case it’s corrupted. I do have a set of switches on hand

The machine is a recent purchase and does not appear to have any other issues other than a part that is broken but still working. It happens to be my grail purchase and an planning a total restoration including cabinet artwork from RetroRefurbs.

#4248 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

The game starts and during one the subsequent balls (never the same ball) the ball is placed in the shooter lane and the skill shot sequence doesn’t start. The ball search starts and retries but no ball launch. All the ball switches have been checked in switch test mode repeatedly and all switches register when triggered. Short of replacing all the switches which may not fix the issue, I am unsure of where to check. I didn’t realize that the game had 1.07 chip and bought one, so I can change the chip just in case it’s corrupted. I do have a set of switches on hand

The machine is a recent purchase and does not appear to have any other issues other than a part that is broken but still working. It happens to be my grail purchase and an planning a total restoration including cabinet artwork from RetroRefurbs.

Almost sounds like lane switch is fussy, I'll try and duplicate tonight.

#4249 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Almost sounds like lane switch is fussy, I'll try and duplicate tonight.

Did a little more digging. Still going through the same issue however the ball now launches when it’s searching. Found a bad soldering job on the launch coil. It was hanging on by a thread. Played several games after soldering and randomly the game does not go to skill shot mode. It will go a varied amount of launches before not going to skill shot mode.

#4250 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I would be interested in the stl if possible, for future replacement.

As long as my guy modeling it for me doesn't care I'll be happy to share it with the group.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.