(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 755 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by mrossman5
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Hopefully Herg approves

As long as I can join.

If we could attach XML files, this thread would be a very convenient way to share settings. Hopefully, we can keep it focused on settings and use the other thread for sales issues.

right now I'm using a delay of five

Really?!? I've never been able to make use of anything that high, but you have me intrigued. I'm going to try it on my RBION as soon as I get some spare time.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Plus his RBION is worth, like, $12,000.

FS: RBION Mudflaps Edition

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Id be interested to know if anyone had tried an OCD on a Capcom game?

Not that I'm aware of. I've been curious about it for a long time, but lack of time to work on it, limited access to Capcom games, and limited demand have prevented me from starting work on it. The final straw is that it would take two OCD boards since there are two matrices in Capcom games.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Question, I have Avatar LE so right out of the box will the OCD board mimic the stock fade pattern of the inserts for my game or will I have to mess with it.

It will be better than it is now, but to say perfect right out of the box...probably not. But I could help...

It also depends on how picky you are. Even though I picked the defaults to make them the best compromise for all games that I could, I still end up tweaking nearly every game I get. Others tell me that they're perfect out of the box. Even more confusing is that when I owned HS2, I had a bunch of custom settings. My brother's HS2, with the same brand and colors of LEDs, I ended up staying with the defaults after tweaking on it for about 15 minutes.

How much time on average did you spend tweaking your machines?

What I usually end up doing is set it to something that looks close, play a while, tweak a little more, then ask my wife to look at it. Her eyes are more sensitive than mine, so if it passes her test, I call it done.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

how long does it take to get one if I get on the list?

There's not really a waiting list any longer. You can sign up for notifications via the website. Also, the ETA for new stock is updated on the website.

I would be curious what you think / how it works with your machine.

I'm going to try to get around to trying it this evening.

#36 9 years ago

I tried a delay setting of 5 on my RBION last night, and for me, I think it's too high. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was that a blinking continent insert was just barely pulsing, and you had to pay fairly close attention to tell between that and a fully lit one.

It could be dependent on the type of LEDs as well, but for my preference, in my machine, I wouldn't set it that high.

1 week later
#41 9 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't caught that those TSPP inserts were missing from the file when someone sent it to me. I just updated the archive on the website, so they will be included from now on.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

Has anyone found a good quality LED that has a larger range and behaves better at the low end?

Any "extra" stuff in the bulbs will make it harder for the OCD to control the brightness because it will have less direct control.

If you want to stick with Cointaker, I'd recommend trying the regular "Frosted" or "Super":
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=80DCBBAB7FFDD906B2D4D40D9CCE7CCD.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=6
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=80DCBBAB7FFDD906B2D4D40D9CCE7CCD.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=60

I prefer to get most of my bulbs from Comet. 90% of what I used is the 5050 SMD Frosted:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm

If you need more brightness, 4 SMD Supreme:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/4smd3528.htm

Quoted from pezpunk:

First of all, I will admit that I overdrive the GI on the playfield by running it at 85. I just love how shiny everything looks with that level of illumination. Some of the LEDs get kind of hot, but I don't think I'm hurting anything -- I accidentally left it on overnight once and nothing melted, singed, or burned out.

The only thing at risk by doing this is your LED bulbs. All the other components can easily handle it. Even the bulbs are a bit of crapshoot when it comes to the correct maximum setting. The resistor inside the bulb will determine how much current flows through the LED emitter, and there is no standard resistor value across different vendors, or even different bulbs from the same vendor. The default setting is a conservative value, and usually can go higher without any problems.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Is there any way to get some kind of a feature added to extend how long an insert is lit for if it receives a brief signal? I'm thinking in terms of using an RGB-fading LED

Since it would be part of a matrix running at 250 Hz, there is no way to make a single bulb continue to receive power. It HAS to turn off so that the next column can turn on. You CAN try to limit the cycle resetting by keeping that single bulb's duty cycle longer than others. For example, try a ramp something like:
0 0 0 0 100 100 100 100

It might still reset, but this would at least keep it on as much of the time as possible in a matrix configuration.

Quoted from Shaneus:

Herg, is it safe to say that if there's a major/critical update to the software (such as a feature implementation) you'd mention it in a readme in the file?

Any changes made to the downloadable software are limited to the PC software. It doesn't update anything on the board, so the game will always work the same unless you replace the microcontroller with one that has different code. I hope this doesn't have to happen since it would be a major pain to mail out new chips.

As far as critical updates to the PC software, I would suggest using the latest version. If you're not experiencing problems, like data files not being read properly, etc. you can safely use the version you already have, though. The changes are almost always minimal and they will never be able to affect the boards function other than letting you set the values differently.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Corvette: It removed the unwanted blinking of the LT1 inserts in my during the skill shot. YAY! I set B1 and 2 to 0. So 0,0,10,25,50,70,85,100 Now only the one lane is lit during the skill shot like it should be. I have a bunch of inserts ghosting which I haven't been able to get rid of.

The first thing I'd try would be to set B8 to 85%. Settings as high as 100% often don't allow enough time for the transistors to turn off fully before switching to the next column, causing ghosting.

Quoted from SealClubber:

LOTR: Stock settings except for the Palintir orb. I have the Eye of Sauron TV Ball mod which now blinks. Is there a way to stop the blinking? I set all B values to 100 but it still blinks.

What is the "Eye of Sauron TV Ball mod"? Anyway, try using the manual mode to set it to 100%. If it still blinks, there will be no settings that can fix it. Some special bulbs and mods do not work well at the higher refresh rate, and there's not really anything you can do about it.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

But doesn't that just delay the amount of time between blinks?

It makes it take longer between switching from one brightness level to another, basically slowing down the fade time. If you have a bulb that is not blinking, it will have no affect.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-palentir-mod
I guess it is called the projection Palentir mod. And it seems it always blinked but I guess I just didn't notice it before.

So, the Palantir that Jay makes. There's a lot of different versions of it, but the one I had looked great. It flickered (like the other insert lamps) without an OCD installed, but looked great with the OCD. Nothing I would call blinking in either case.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Could someone tell me the dimensions of the Sys 11 LED OCD PCB please. I don't see any measurements on their website and I would like to do a mock install.

The Williams/DE PCB is 3.35" x 5.8"

#65 9 years ago

There is not really a wait list any longer. You can sign up for notifications via the website to receive email when I add to inventory.

I received my shipment today, and I will be doing final assembly and test on them over the next few days. I'll probably be shipping the first ones out on Saturday (hopefully). Whether or not that gets it to Ottawa in time, I can't be sure.

#68 9 years ago

Hope you got a lot of them.

50 boards, but I have limited cable sets. More cables are on order, but it's going to be a while on those. I can build some cables myself if needed, but that really eats up my free time. I'm planning to see how quickly these go, then adjust accordingly.

1 week later
#71 9 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Is there a thread where users share whatever kind of file you upload to the OCD with each other? I'm about to install one in my X-Men Pro, but I don't have a Windows computer! If there is a filesharing thread, that would be helpful. Try out different customizations and whatnot.

That's what this thread is supposed to be, but it hasn't really caught on; probably because there's not an easy way to attach files or a place to put them.

BTW, having a file won't bypass the need for a Windows computer. You still need a Windows computer, or at least a Windows VM / emulation.

Quoted from steve1515:

I was signed up, but I never got the notification. Come to think of it, I've also sent you two emails via your contact page, but never got a reply back. Maybe your email system isn't working.
Post edited by steve1515: Spelling Mistakes

Were you signed up for notifications of the boards or the cables? I just happened to think that some people may be signed up for cables, and I only sent notifications to the board list. I have yet to be able to figure out how to view the lists within Zen Cart, so I can't look up who is on a list OR which lists a customer has signed up for. I get aggravated every time I start looking up how to do it.

Anyway, the notifications did work, or at least partially did, because the orders started rolling in just after the most recent notification I sent. Also, I regularly get emails that come through the website contact form, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten yours.

2 weeks later
#90 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but two LEDs out sucks when they were all previously lit. Herg told me it's probably because I'm using the premium non-ghosting LEDs, which can cause problems. I'll try to put the regular ones in to see if it solves the problem. I just upgraded the whole thing with the Cointaker non-ghosting set...it would suck if I have to change them ALL back to ghosting ones (and I'd have to pay twice!).

I'm not sure I would say the premium LEDs are the problem, but they definitely don't work as well as plain LEDs. I assumed you would have a few plain LEDs lying around to try, and it would be a quick test. If you don't have any, trying other things to narrow the problem would be worthwhile.

Here's what we know so far:

1. It's only two lamps, so it's not a dead transistor (or any other parts on the board).
2. You have told me that you made no changes to the configuration, but you also said you set the brightness to 8. I would like to be able to verify the configuration by reading the settings from the board, then taking a screenshot.
3. You said "I did the manual test on each of those sockets and confirmed they were getting juice." You are referring to the manual test built into the LED OCD software, correct? Does that mean you used a DMM to test the sockets? Did they light up? I hate to ask such obvious questions, but without being able to see anything, I need precise answers to be able to narrow down the problem.

Putting the board in passthrough mode will cause the lamps to be flickery, but it will also make the matrix timing match what the game normally does. If that makes them light, it's almost certainly due to the premium bulbs.

There's things we can check before resorting to buying new bulbs, but honestly, the boards really do work best with the plain LEDs rather than using premium.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

sounds like you might have accidentally set those inserts to a very low illumination level in the software. i would try reseting to defaults or taking a hard look at the settings for those 2 sockets.

I thought the same thing, but beelzeboob sent me a screenshot, and the settings are fine.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Again, I've gotten dimmer LEDs to light in those sockets...perhaps because they require less power???

It's not a power issue. Other lamps in the same column and in the same row are working fine.

My most recent thought is that it might be a cracked solder joint (or two) on a lamp board or a broken wire at a lamp socket.

Oh, and as for why the dimmer LEDs might light. If it is an intermittent solder joint, it may be making contact for a very short period of time that is long enough to light the dim bulb, but not a bright one.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

BINGO!!! Herg hit it right on the head.

...and it only took me about a half dozen guesses.

Pinball machines are finicky

I was playing Scared Stiff last night, and everything was fine. I forgot it on overnight , and when I woke up this morning, I had lamps that weren't lighting (cracked solder joint), flashers that weren't lighting (blown fuse), and the spider wheel backbox plastic was peeling off (crappy spray adhesive I used on the repro I recently installed).

1 week later
#108 9 years ago
Quoted from algum123:

I can confirm that the sys 9/11 led ocd board works fine with a sys 6 in a Flash.

That's awesome! I had thought it would work, but until it was tested, I couldn't be sure. Thanks for the feedback.

1 month later
#113 9 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

Are the Williams' looking like they are coming in on or around 12/1 as the website states? Would love to get these in my Funhouse. That clock sometimes makes me unable to see the ball.

The boards are in now, and I just need to finish testing them. They will be ready by December 1 or maybe a day or two later.

1 week later
#119 9 years ago
Quoted from sb33334:

does the ledocd do nothing with the flashers under the playfield?

Unfortunately, like pezpunk said, it does not affect flashers. They are a different type of circuit. I use incandescent flashers in nearly all of my games.

Quoted from steve1515:

I have an LED OCD on my Getaway and was thinking of getting a GI OCD also, but I'm not sure how much the GI dimming is really used on that game? Anyone know if it would be worth it? Any advice?

I sold my Getaway before I designed GI OCD, so I never switched it's GI to LEDs. My suggestion would be to try some LEDs in it and see how you like them. If you decide it's too flickery, then you can think about whether to get a GI OCD, turn off dimming, or keep incandescent.

#122 9 years ago

There's a setting in the game menus, something like "Allow GI dimming". Make sure it is on. If so, and it's still OK, I wouldn't bother with a GI OCD. If it's off, turn it on, and see what things look like.

1 week later
#124 9 years ago

1. A while back, I sent a GI OCD to Bill Ung, and he was working on a compatible chase lamp board. He told me he had something that was basically working, but I haven't heard much since then. You could probably move those lamps into the normal GI, but you'd lose all the "chasing".

2. When you send settings, they are temporary unless you save them. Just click the "Save" button once you have it working the way you want.

#128 9 years ago

Question on STTNG GI, especially the shields. Curious what your settings are for that string, I do get fading upon shield damage, but I think it could be more pronounced. Using the shield brightness levels settings I couldn't seem to find a setting in the GI OCD that had a nice gradual fade for a levels. But maybe the game only uses a few levels and not all 8?
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if all 8 levels are used. You may have already done this, but try turning on advanced mode so that you can change the intermediate values.

#130 9 years ago

Yes, even without GI OCD, 7 and 8 are both solidly lit, so there's no way to interpret them differently.

As for why they might change when the game starts, do you have the "Activity" checkbox for that string checked? If so, it will use the bottom row of values while the game is being played.

I know Pezpunk has one in his STTNG.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

by the way i guess this is a question for Herg: the GI OCD interface lists 8 slots for values (B1 through B8), but the game only seems to use seven of them (B7 and B8 seem to be the same brightness in-game, no matter what value is used in GI OCD). Does WPC ignore B7 and just use B8 for both? or vice versa?

Even when using the test menus to control the GI brightness without a GI OCD, B7 and B8 are the same. The machine keeps the TRIAC turned on all the time for both. As a result, GI OCD interprets both as B8. There is no way around it.

Quoted from pezpunk:

1-3-6-13-25-55-79-99

One quick note on this. Running at 99%, you are over-driving your LEDs somewhat. The rectifier on the GI OCD converts the game's AC input to about 9V DC. If you're running at 99%, you basically running your LEDs at a full 9V. They're probably OK, but they may end up failing sooner than they would otherwise.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll be at Bill's house in a couple weeks, you need me to harass him?

I'm in no hurry, but the guys with CFTBL might be.

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Herg, got any LED OCD's in stock? My Nascar really needs one.

Sorry, but no. There was a bit of a "run" on them last week and more were purchased in one week than in the previous three months.

I estimate February for the next batch to be ready. They'll be on the website when they're in stock.

#151 9 years ago

Hey, I just happened to think that Comet Pinball might have a few in stock.
http://www.cometpinball.com/Stern-LED-OCD-Board-p/ledocdstern.htm

1 week later
#154 9 years ago

Yes, passthrough is only available on the Williams/DE boards. It is not possible on the Stern boards the way it is currently designed.

#159 9 years ago

Detailed instructions are on the website, but here's a summary for a Stern game:
1. Mount the LED OCD board
2. Disconnect 2 cables from the Stern board
3. Connect them to the LED OCD board
4. Connect the 2 included cables to the Stern board where you removed the connectors during step 2
5. Connect the other end of the 2 included cables to the LED OCD board

Other games are a little more involved, but everything will be cables with connectors; no soldering, no alligator clips, no wire splices, etc.

1 month later
#166 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I'm having difficulty getting the blinking lights in the back box of TZ work with GI OCD. Occasionally setting the max to 100 would work, but only for a few minutes.
Anyone have it working?

Blinker bulbs are hit and miss. I have a couple in my SS that work fine. Other in my TZ do not. I use incandescent blinkers in it because of this.

I believe is has to do with how the blinkers are implemented, and if they are without power for long enough they reset their sequence. That doesn't really explain why they wouldn't work at 100%, though. Is it a steady 100, or a ramp with a max of 100?

I have recently made an update to the firmware that increases the pulse rate to 1kHz. Believe it or not, I got a message from a guy that could see strobing at 250 Hz! Anyway, I'm theorizing this increased rate might also help blinker LEDs. I have some on order that I'm going to test. The only bayonet one I have works, but I want to fill all 6 spots in TZ.

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Does using the incandescent blinkers create and issue with power? Ever thought about altering the GI OCD to work like the LED OCD so that you can mix and match as many incandescent lights with LEDs as you please?

You can use a mix as long as you don't go over 2A per string. It could probably handle more, but the bridge definitely shouldn't go above 10A. I would have liked to make it so that you could still use a bunch of incandescent if you really wanted, but the amount of current required just made the requirements for the bridge and caps too big and expensive.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Got my boards in Avatar LE and Nascar. Avatar works perfect right out of the box but it has Comet Ghostbusters in it. Nascar has the regular leds in it and it needs to be adjusted. Why is this, just a difference in the games?

There are a lot of variables. LEDs, the game's power, ambient lighting, etc. My brother and I have both owned HS2 in the past. I bought him identical LEDs for his, but I ended up using different settings on his. That's why configuration is important.

Quoted from btw75:

I tried steady values, different led, as well as #47 incandescent. No blink. .

This is a stupid question, but I have to ask. The LEDs and incandescent are blinkers, right? An incandescent does have to heat up, so there is a minimum value at which they will work. 100% should definitely do it, though. Similarly, with the LED, at 100%, it is straight DC with no PWM. It should work no matter what LED you're using.

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Ok, so the incandescent bulbs were not blinkers. The LEDs though absolutely blinked until I installed the gi ocd and now the only will blink on seemingly random configurations.

Can you post your configuration? If they're set to a solid 100%, but the blinker LEDs are erratic, something's wrong.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

So incandescent 455 blink. The led 455 don't. Wonder if CT used non ghosting tech for their LED 455.
I have string x set to input x. (3 in this case). Everything else is stock, 1 to 35. I tried 100 to 100, 0 to 100, and no blink so I reverted.

100 to 100 still goes to 0 when string 3 is off. Only "Always On" or manual test will stay on all the time. I don't know about whether they have non-ghosting circuitry in them, but if you're sending it DC and the lamp doesn't blink, it's either broken or you're not really sending it DC in the right voltage range.

Unless you're willing to set it to "Always On" permanently, it's not going to matter anyway. Like I mentioned before, I'm hoping that the new firmware will fix it, but I'm running incandescent blinkers in mine for now.

1 week later
#178 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I have recently made an update to the firmware that increases the pulse rate to 1kHz. Believe it or not, I got a message from a guy that could see strobing at 250 Hz! Anyway, I'm theorizing this increased rate might also help blinker LEDs.

So, a bit of bad news. The new firmware helped a little, but blinker bulbs still do not work reliably. I even set up a test where I pulsed them at 50 kHz, and they STILL didn't work. It's just not going to happen through a firmware update.

The only ways I've been able to get them to work is to increase the duty cycle to 100% or by adding some hardware to the bulb. A capacitor to smooth the power with a diode to keep the other bulbs in the string from stealing it works. I haven't had enough time to figure out how big the capacitor needs to be. Unfortunately, to make this plug and play, the parts would have to go in the bulbs.

#179 9 years ago

The family's napping, so I had a little more time to work on the blinkers. I have a solution, but it's no cakewalk. I disassembled some LEDs and added capacitors to the inside. Since there was a bridge inside of them, I didn't need the diode any longer, just the capacitor. They're the ones from Comet, so I'm not sure about others.

These are bayonet blinkers, so they're more work than the wedge would be.

1. Desolder the bottom contact.
IMG_4086.JPGIMG_4086.JPG

2. Break loose the glue holding the metal base on the bottom and remove it.
IMG_4087.JPGIMG_4087.JPG

3. Break loose the glue holding the white plastic ring from the small PCB and remove it.
IMG_4088.JPGIMG_4088.JPG

4. This is a 1uF surface mount ceramic capacitor in an 0805 package. It is just the right width to be able to reach the DC output pins of the bridge.
IMG_4089.JPGIMG_4089.JPG

5. Solder it in place.
IMG_4090.JPGIMG_4090.JPG

6. Reassemble everything, using glue to secure everything again. Sorry, no pictures of this step.

I modified six of them and put them in my TZ with GI OCD. I can now drop the brightness down to 1% and the blinkers still blink.

As you can see, however, it's a bunch of tedious work.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried the procedure at the bottom of this page?
http://ledocd.com/usage_led.html

#183 9 years ago

The only way I can think of that it would actually be running through the entire lamp cycle twice as fast would be if the "delay" was set to a lower value. More likely, you are seeing some artifact of the dimming that SM does on those inserts.

If you go into lamp test in the Stern test menus, do you see the same thing? Could you post your settings?

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

If this becomes too much of a hassle I'll just let it ride as-is.

As long as you're willing to work on it, I don't let things go very easily. Having outstanding issues bugs the crap out of me. Trying to narrow down what's happening without seeing it is very difficult, though, and everyone describes things differently.

Are you saying that you see a different ramp rate on certain inserts during attract mode, even if all of them are set to the same profile? Does it only do it after changing those inserts? Are the "delay" values of the two profiles the same?

Finally, copying the values from the example exactly will not give you the best results. Those are specific to the type of LEDs used in the test game. If default 7 works well for your LEDs, start with the default 7 values, then make the B2/B3 pair and the B5/B6 pairs match.

Like this:
6 Modified 10 25 25 40 55 55 70 85 2
7 LED 85% 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 85 2

#187 9 years ago

Rather than continue to tie up this thread, I'm going to send you a PM. Basically, I'm not sure what you're seeing at the moment, and the questions I'm asking are an attempt to narrow the problem down.

1 week later
#191 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Want to make more of these and sell them?

That sounds like my idea of hell! I talked briefly with Art about it, and he didn't say no. He didn't say yes, either. I'm guessing that the number of these that would be used is not high enough to make ordering a batch of them worthwhile.

The capacitor I used was a Yageo CC0805ZRY5V8BB105, but that's only because I had them on hand. The only thing that really matters for this use is the size and value.

3 weeks later
#195 9 years ago
Quoted from GaryMcT:

I tried NoFlix Plus 455 blinkers with GIOCD and they work fine out of the box.

Cool. Where did you buy them?

5 months later
#207 8 years ago

Williams/DataEast LED OCD - 5.8" x 3.35"
Stern LED OCD - 4.95" x 3.55"
GI OCD - 6.0" x 2.225"

Assuming you're planning to use the customization, don't forget to leave room for the USB port.

1 month later
#210 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Any progress for Capcom games?

It's coming along slowly. Most of my progress is documented here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-capcom-games#post-2550560

In summary:
1. There are two kits made by hacking up a couple of the kits for Williams games that are running in a BBB and a PM. The owners of these games say these are working well.
2. There is some video of the BBB, and it is posted in the above thread.
3. I have preliminary video of the PM, but the owner says he will shoot some new video of the game after I made a couple of changes to the firmware.
4. A prototype board that combines the two controllers into one smaller design is in process. The bare board is being fabricated now, and I have parts on order.

#212 8 years ago

Just Capcom. It requires two controllers to handle the two matrices, and having two separate boards in this case only adds complexity. The only other boards that could be combined would be a LED OCD/GI OCD combo for WPC, and not everyone wants both.

As for shrinking them, I don't see much incentive for it. For Capcom, I tried to make it small to fit closer to the driver board, hopefully eliminating some cabling. For WPC, it would never fit close enough to the driver connectors, and Stern already does.

3 weeks later
#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

all that bridge/filter crap in them

Just to clarify, the bridge is fine. You can use "AC" bulbs with no issues. It's the filter crap that keeps LED OCD from working at it's best.

Quoted from Morydees:

I guess I'll be replacing all of my Ablaze premiums.

Depending on your current results, that might be overkill. You will get better results if you do, but how much better is somewhat variable. If you are happy with how it looks now, it's probably not worth spending all the money and time to replace the bulbs. You could install a few easy to reach "dumb" bulbs to compare the difference. You could also use the manual mode to see how your bulbs react to low brightness values.

I'm starting to wonder if a video showing the difference between the bulbs and how to use manual mode would be helpful. This question comes up all the time.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Here is a different way to view LED OCD

Nice video! Do you mind if I link to it from my website?

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Speaking of which, are these necessary and/or available for Spike machines?

Not available.

Working from memory, I'm thinking Kiss looks pretty good stock. Granted, I was a bit tipsy last time I played it.

BTW, good to see you back Boob.

1 month later
#231 8 years ago

No, nothing for Pin2000. Maybe I can take a look at it after I get some other projects under control.

#234 8 years ago

One thing I learned from designing the one for Capcom is that doing it without having access to a game is a total pain in the butt. You have to have someone on the other end that is totally dedicated to making it happen, and even then, it will take WAY longer. I have too many projects going right now as it is, but once they settle down, I will look into it a bit.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I'm about to order the Pinballbulbs led kit for my AFM. Do you guys think I would need the LED OCD for that kit? How about the GI OCD?

Well, call me the worst salesman ever, but "need" is a strong word. The PBB kit will work, but depending on how particular you are about how it looks, you may "want" an LED OCD to go with the kit. It will look better with LED OCD, but I don't want anyone buying on false pretenses like thinking the PBB kit won't work without it.

2 months later
#246 8 years ago

For stuff that you want to blink fast, and the LED OCD defaults oversmooth the blinking, you have two options.

1. You can reduce the delay value. This will allow it to move from one brightness value to the next more quickly.

2. You can change the ramp shape by decreasing the low-mid brightness values (B2 and B3) and increasing the mid-high brightness values (B5 and B6). You can take a look at the Iron Man file in the software archive for an example of this.

#248 8 years ago

Just taking someone else's settings probably won't get you where you want since it depends on your bulbs max brightness, your ambient lighting, personal preference, etc. If you can make it too dim or too bright, what is keeping you from picking something in between? If there's not a profile in the defaults that is exactly what you want, just modify one to make it what you want.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I have yet to see *anyone* do a LOTR with LEDs that looks better than incandescents

Since this is an opinion, it's debatable, but I will add that when I owned LOTR, I kept incandescents in it. This was after trying a number of different LEDs in those white inserts. It did feel a bit dim, but none of the LEDs had the color I wanted.

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from oogiebooogie:

Herg, do you want my defult Shrek profile since it is not in your release?

Sure. Any of that kind of stuff can be sent to admin at ledocd.com. Data files (csv) for games that don't have them are always helpful. Custom settings (xml), please try to let me know what the changes affect. For example, Spider-Man (More blinky during multiball).

Thanks

1 week later
#257 8 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I have a GI Led OCD in my scared stiff and I've blown the 10amp slo blow fuse on the board twice.

I would first make sure there is not a big load of some sort on the GI. Like pezpunk suggested, incandescents could put a big load on it, though a few of them are fine. You just don't want to have anything in the range of ~10.

LED strips hanging off the GI can also be a problem.

As for why it would only blow when powering on, there is a capacitor bank that has to charge when the game is turned on, and the inrush current along with additional load on the GI strings could cause this.

One other problem I have run into is LED bulbs that can short internally. I had one that the resistors inside were bent funny, and they could short together with vibration. I blew three fuses and a transistor on my Metallica GI Theater trying to troubleshoot that one.

1 month later
#270 8 years ago

For TOTAN, there are a few changes that I think help it a bit. Mainly, increasing the fade delay max. When I get the time, I'll post what I used on it.

#273 8 years ago

Here are the settings I used for TOTAN.

1-GI_OCD_4252016_115128_AM_(resized).jpg1-GI_OCD_4252016_115128_AM_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#275 8 years ago

LOTR is Whitestar, unless you're talking about an LE, which is a Whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver.

This link is the Whitestar installation page on my website, and I'm installing in my former LOTR.

http://ledocd.com/install_whitestar_r3.html

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Are there any updates in software that aren't just profile additions? Haven't had to use this for a while on my RBION, wonder if there's any point in updating.

No, other than additional game data, profiles, etc., the PC software does not affect the performance of the board. The firmware on the board is not able to be updated short of replacing the chip (or using the ICSP header on some boards).

Quoted from Fifty:

herg, I recently noticed the FLIGHT INSURANCE insert on my F-14 ghosting on me. I'm using Comet 1 SMD LEDs. I can see it flickering while playing. It is very faint but definitely there. I don't recall it doing this before.
Every other LED seems to be functioning properly. This one seems to be the misfit. I don't know if it's been this way since the install or not. I only noticed it recently. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

FLIGHT INSURANCE is on the lamp matrix, column 2, row 8, so it can be controlled by LED OCD. If you have found that it IS the lamp itself ghosting and not light leakage from another light source, here's some things to try.

1. Try to notice if it does it at the same time as some other action; a coil firing, a flasher, another lamps validly lighting.
2. Using the PC software, set the flight insurance lamp to a different profile, then set that profile to all zeros. At this point, the flight insurance lamp should stay off all the time. If not, you are either getting "true ghosting", or possibly crosstalk on the wires under the playfield.
3. Try going into manual mode in the PC software. This will turn off all the lamp matrix outputs, and it will eliminate the possibility of "true ghosting" because the adjacent lamps are not lighting.

If you can try those things and let me know the results, it would greatly narrow the possibilities.

1 month later
#287 7 years ago

A while back, in another thread, bstyles was talking about a bracket to allow the WPC breakout board to be installed without having to make screw holes in your cabinet. Here's a link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-im-sold/page/3#post-2903808

Since then, I bought a 3D printer, and I've designed a bracket for the new System 11 board design. I've spoken to bstyles, and he assures me I'm not stepping on his toes by sharing this. I'm planning to share the STL file for others to print their own. For those without printers, I'm still trying to decide on a solution. I could print a few, but I don't want to be printing them all the time.

Anyway, here's a picture of how it installed in my Whirlwind. I still need to tweak the hole sizes, and then I'll post the files on my website. Unfortunately, due to the nature of 3D printing, the hole sizes might need to be adjusted further for printers other than my own.

LED OCD Mini in Whirlwind using 3D Printed BracketLED OCD Mini in Whirlwind using 3D Printed Bracket

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

How about one for the GI OCD? I actually bought one of bstyle's brackets for the LED OCD and it's been great!

I could look at that next, but one thing at a time. Also, I'm not sure what backbox feature I'd hook the bracket to.

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I installed an LCD OCD in my WPT and still getting ghosting on at least a half dozen inserts with Comet 2smd LEDs. Tried turning the settings down on these and still hasn't eliminated the issue. Any tips or pointers on what to do to solve this? I tried using different LEDs in these inserts and still have the issue. Thanks!
Here's a link to my game with the board installed
» YouTube video

Usually, this is caused by an issue with the game's lamp matrix; a bad diode, a short, an incorrectly installed mod, etc. The first step is always to go though each lamp in lamp test and note exactly which lamps ghost and which lamp(s) are lit when they are ghosting. For example, lamp 21 ghosts when lamp 11 is lit. The full picture of what is going on usually shows a pattern that will lead you to the problem.

Feel free to send me an email to troubleshoot.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

How about one for the GI OCD?

Quoted from herg:

I could look at that next, but one thing at a time.

So much for "one thing at a time". To be fair, I think the Sys 11 Mini bracket is done, short of receiving the nylon screws to mount it. Everything fits with metal screws, so I'm pretty sure it's done. Anyway, here's one for GI in my TZ. I haven't opened my WPC95 games, but I'm sure they'll need different mounting points.

GI OCD in Twilight Zone using 3D Printed BracketGI OCD in Twilight Zone using 3D Printed Bracket

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'll post the files on my website.

Here's the instructions and STL file for the Sys11 Mini bracket. The GI OCD bracket(s) will be a few more days.

http://ledocd.com/install_mini_bracket.html

#297 7 years ago

The GI OCD bracket for WPC89 games (and any others with a hinged light panel like Scared Stiff) is on my website now:

http://ledocd.com/install_wpc89_gi_bracket.html

I still need to open my AFM to look at mounting options in a WPC95 game. From what I remember, there's not much available to hook to. A flat back on the bracket and a big piece of double-sided tape is an option, but I hate using adhesive to attach them.

#299 7 years ago

The default settings work for any game. There is nothing game specific that gets saved on the board.

#302 7 years ago

I don't want to be printing a bunch of them, but I have added them as an option when purchasing boards. If you have already purchased, but would like a bracket to go with it, just send me an email via the website or a PM.

I don't know how widespread it is, but the libraries around here have printers, and they will print stuff for the cost of the filament. That's way cheaper than I'd be able to make them for.

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So new LED OCD boards purchased will come with the mini bracket?

They will be an option for additional cost. I have only designed brackets for the LED OCD Sys11 Mini and GI OCD WPC89 so far, but those ones are available as options on the website now.

#305 7 years ago

A bracket for GI OCD in a WPC95 game is up now:
http://ledocd.com/install_wpc95_gi_bracket.html

3 weeks later
#307 7 years ago

I ship them with 1A fast blow installed, which is very conservative. It can be increased if needed.

I shipped them that way since it's protects the board better in the case of a short, and I wasn't sure about what the new design could handle until I had more time with it.

#309 7 years ago

I would suggest using the lowest value you can, at least until I can do more testing. With that said, a 2.5A is probably safe as long as you don't short to 50V. In that case, however, it might not matter how low the fuse value is. You might still damage it.

#311 7 years ago

Paul,

That doesn't sound like settings or bulbs will fix it. It sounds like it isn't properly synchronizing to your driver board. Is it running Bop 2.0? I also wonder if your driver board is stock or an aftermarket. Maybe you got a bad set of cables. Send me an email, and we'll get it worked out.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks Herg. No 2.0, stock driver board.

Email sent.

#318 7 years ago

It will work on IMVE. Just remove the small resistor terminator board first, as you mention.

TWD Prem/LE is a no-go. It uses the newer sytle serial lighting rather than a lamp matrix.

#320 7 years ago

It's totally different than what they did for IMVE. For serial LED games, they have different effects entirely since their control is completely different. The serial LED games all support the same fading, but in the early ones, they did not do such a great job of driving them, and there is more flicker in those games than later ones.

It's theoretically possibly to capture and redrive the signal, but it would be a completely different approach than the current LED OCD for lamp matrices.

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Is there any documentation or tutorial about how to do this?

Yes. See the note at the bottom of step 6.

http://ledocd.com/install_sam_r3.html

When you say "wasn't thrilled", what kind of problems are you seeing?

#325 7 years ago

I did not notice you have mentioned in the past a software archive with some IM tweaks, would you mind PM'ing a link to that?

The IM settings I use on my game are in the archive at http://ledocd.com/software/led_ocd_v1.9.0.zip. Just use import and browse to the "settings" folder.

Oh one last thing, I reached out to you about my WH20 blowing fuses due to a few stray incandescents... your suggestion of stepping up to a 2amp FB totally fixed it!

Glad to hear it. I am going to do some more testing with incandescent and the new design, then most likely increase the value of the fuse that it ships with.

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

On IMVE; i'd need to have an LEDOCD board, remove the J12 & J13 mini-boards, and enable the OLD option in the "adjustment that lets you pick the new light shows or the old" (taken from the Stern IMVE v1.83 release notes). This then drives the lamps for incandescent lighting effects to support the original IM.

Correct.

Whereas in TWD Pro, i cannot see any similar option from the release notes, presumably because this is the only version. Therefore the LEDOCD 'could' reveal some good lighting effects hidden in there, as it could've been coded for incandescents, but then again it could 'just' smooth out (and slightly dim) those harsh flashing LEDs.

From what I understand, the only version in TWD Pro would be a dumbed down version that plays nicely with LEDs. This would be analogous to the new IMVE lighting. I would assume the latter, just smoothing and slightly dimming.

#328 7 years ago

Yes, I have ran it on Windows 10. .NET 4.5 and 3.5 are independent versions, and the LED OCD software is compiled to use 3.5. Allow it to install, and it should work fine.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Yeah, windows isn't happy about installing .NET 3.5. I think I need to have the OS source file available.

I'm pretty sure that when I did it, it automatically downloaded and installed it. You could try manually downloading it:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

3 weeks later
#337 7 years ago

Is there such a thing as LED FLASHER OCD ??

Sorry, but no, there's not. I don't think it would be practical to build and be able to install. I would actually like to see a flasher bulb with smoothing built in.

#339 7 years ago

Someone may have used it and could speak from first hand experience, but I can say based on the design that it will work fine with LOTR.

#342 7 years ago

Don't suppose there's any more documented logic behind the GIzmo settings for Stern GI?

The GIzmo is completely passive. It's just a bridge and some capacitors to convert to DC and slowly discharge. Removing either of the jumpers disconnects one of the capacitors so that the others discharge faster, causing the LEDs to fade off more quickly.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Buy it from Comet Pinball

There are multiple places you can get them now.

Direct from LED OCD - Lowest price, and I get the biggest cut, if you care about that. I can't ship internationally, though.
Comet Pinball - Great choice, and you can buy your LEDs at the same time.
PSPA - Australian source.
Pinballshop.nl - Netherlands source with a wide selection of our kits.

2 weeks later
#351 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Quick question for the LED OCD brains... I was going to order a T2 LED kit from Cointaker. The kit contains Premium Super Non-Ghosting LEDs, will they be compatible with an LED OCD?
Cheers!

I would suggest against the Premium in particular. Non-ghosting can hamper the LED OCD from doing it's thing, and CT Premium are a bit more troublesome still. If you can get the standard CT kit, that's your best bet.

2 weeks later
#358 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My thinking is that the 3 missing diodes was messing with the lamp matrix and the OCD board couldn't compensate for that.

Yeah, those diodes have to be in the circuit. I'm glad you found the problem.

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My pintech is good. I wonder if that had anything to do with blowing that transistor? Maybe it was just weak?

I would say it's unlikely the missing diodes caused the transistor to fail. Usually, that just results in lamps lighting incorrectly.

3 weeks later
#364 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Bump myself to see if anyone thinks this is possible?

Not using any of the currently available LED OCD boards. The lamps are controlled using a completely different method.

1 week later
#366 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just installed these on a Fish Tales and had a few questions:
1. My backbox flashers are bulbs. This shouldn't be an issue for the OCD board, right?
2. I originally had cointaker afterburners installed in the pops, but they made a really high pitched whine after installing the OCD board. Known problem? Is there anything I can do about this?

1. No problem. The flashers are untouched by the OCD boards.

2. I have not tested with Afterburners, but I have used the Comet equivalent
http://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpring.htm
The other difference is that I used them with LED OCD, not GI OCD. I did not notice any abnormal operation.

Looking at the parts on the Afterburner boards, it looks like they're simply a bridge, a bunch of LEDs, and the current limiting resistors. Basically, that's no different than a normal LED bulb. They should be fine, from what I can tell.

I have seen a few cases where the GI OCD power switching (1kHz) can lead to audible noise. I could send you a modified firmware that switches at 250 Hz. It might help, but it might also just change the noise to a lower pitch, or even do nothing. It also would make it a bit more likely that you would see strobing if your eyes are more sensitive to it than the norm.

If you're interested in pursuing it, send me a PM.

4 weeks later
#374 7 years ago

I'm wondering if I might get a bit of feedback on something I've been working on. To this point, the configuration software has been limited to Windows machines. I decided to write an alternative.

The first part of this is a command line application that can do nearly all of the same stuff as the Windows version. I'm testing on Linux running on a Rasp Pi, but it should work on any Linux machine, and probably Macs as well. Of course, it would have to be compiled for the target system. Anyway, here's a sample of what it can do:

ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli
Capcom detected, but matrix not specified. Defaulting to matrix A.
Use -m CAPCOMB to communicate with matrix B.
LED OCD Firmware v27
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c READ | grep 23
L23P=7
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c SETLP=23,5
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c READ | grep 23
L23P=5
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c READ | grep NAME
P1NAME=Incandes
P2NAME=LED 25%
P3NAME=LED 35%
P4NAME=LED 45%
P5NAME=LED 55%
P6NAME=LED 70%
P7NAME=LED 85%
P8NAME=LED 100%
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c SETPN=8,Smooth
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c READ | grep NAME
P1NAME=Incandes
P2NAME=LED 25%
P3NAME=LED 35%
P4NAME=LED 45%
P5NAME=LED 55%
P6NAME=LED 70%
P7NAME=LED 85%
P8NAME=Smooth
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$ ./ledocd_cli -m CAPCOMA -c READ
P1NAME=Incandes
P1B1=30
P1B2=40
P1B3=50
P1B4=60
P1B5=70
P1B6=80
P1B7=84
P1B8=84
P1DELAY=0
P2NAME=LED 25%
P2B1=4
P2B2=7
P2B3=10
P2B4=13
P2B5=16
P2B6=19
P2B7=22
P2B8=25
P2DELAY=3
P3NAME=LED 35%
P3B1=4
P3B2=8
P3B3=12
P3B4=17
P3B5=21
P3B6=26
P3B7=30
P3B8=35
P3DELAY=3
P4NAME=LED 45%
P4B1=6
P4B2=11
P4B3=17
P4B4=22
P4B5=28
P4B6=33
P4B7=39
P4B8=45
P4DELAY=3
P5NAME=LED 55%
P5B1=8
P5B2=14
P5B3=21
P5B4=28
P5B5=34
P5B6=41
P5B7=48
P5B8=55
P5DELAY=3
P6NAME=LED 70%
P6B1=10
P6B2=18
P6B3=27
P6B4=35
P6B5=44
P6B6=52
P6B7=61
P6B8=70
P6DELAY=3
P7NAME=LED 85%
P7B1=10
P7B2=20
P7B3=30
P7B4=40
P7B5=50
P7B6=60
P7B7=70
P7B8=85
P7DELAY=3
P8NAME=Smooth
P8B1=20
P8B2=31
P8B3=42
P8B4=54
P8B5=65
P8B6=77
P8B7=88
P8B8=100
P8DELAY=3
L11P=7
L12P=7
L13P=7
L14P=7
L15P=7
L16P=7
L17P=7
L18P=7
L21P=7
L22P=7
L23P=5
L24P=7
L25P=7
L26P=7
L27P=7
L28P=7
L31P=7
L32P=7
L33P=7
L34P=7
L35P=7
L36P=7
L37P=7
L38P=7
L41P=7
L42P=7
L43P=7
L44P=7
L45P=7
L46P=7
L47P=7
L48P=7
L51P=7
L52P=7
L53P=7
L54P=7
L55P=7
L56P=7
L57P=7
L58P=7
L61P=7
L62P=7
L63P=7
L64P=7
L65P=7
L66P=7
L67P=7
L68P=7
L71P=7
L72P=7
L73P=7
L74P=7
L75P=7
L76P=7
L77P=7
L78P=7
L81P=7
L82P=7
L83P=7
L84P=7
L85P=7
L86P=7
L87P=7
L88P=7
ledocd@ledocd:~/projects/ledocd_cli$

Next, I have a good start on a web GUI that uses the command line application behind the scenes. This part is a good bit more work to set up, but it's pretty nice once it's working. You have to set up a web server, put the web code in the right places, etc. Then, you can browse to the page from the machine running the web server or any other browser on your network, including smartphones.

A couple of possibilities to make setup easier would be an image to load on a Rasp Pi or a pre-configured VM.

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png2 (resized).png2 (resized).png3 (resized).png3 (resized).png

Now, the questions. Will anyone use this, or am I wasting my time? How would you like to see it distributed?

#376 7 years ago

No, I don't think anyone would leave these hooked up and change settings after dialing them in.

The use I could see would be for someone who doesn't have a Windows machine or no machine that can be taken to the pins easily. You do still have to have a USB connection between the OCD and the host, but the host can be something simple, like a Rasp Pi. I've been playing around with it, and it is nice to not have to lug the laptop down to the pins.

The main issue I see, however, is that it's still a bit difficult to get running. People who are willing to put in the time would likely be able to figure out a way to run the Windows software.

#378 7 years ago

Powering it on with the machine would not be hard, but it's a relatively large load to put on the pin's supply. Putting an additional supply on the AC after the switch would be the right way.

IMO, there wouldn't be much utility in it, though. When was the last time you tweaked one of yours?

#380 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

eh i'm wierd, i tweak them fairly often. i would not argue i'm very useful as general market research though!

If you want to do it, I'll come over; get you hooked up.

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pre built VM or docker type module should be your target.

I had to look up Docker. I guess that shows how behind the times I am in the area. I'll have to research it more.

Quoted from jorge5240:

I have the LCD OCD in Spider-Man but I am still having issues in inserts in for the villians. I still have ghosting. What leds are you using? I had the settings programmed when I bought the LCD OCD. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks, Mike

This is usually an issue with the lamp matrix in the game, like a reversed diode, a short, an incorrectly installed mod, etc. If you set the brightness too high using the LED OCD, it can cause ghosting, but I set them to appropriate values when they ship.

For LEDs, use pretty much any LED without non-ghosting or premium features. My favorites are:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm

I would recommend going through single lamp test, select a lamp, and noted which extra lamps light, if any. Do this for every lamp in the game. Usually, a pattern will develop that can be used to track down the problem.

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I misspoke, the villain LEDs are not ghosting all of the time. Only when you defeat the villains the first amd second time, when the lights are only dimly lighted.

That is a feature of that game. The lamps are supposed to get brighter the more times you beat them. If they are too dim, with LED OCD, you can use the configuration software to make the levels brighter.

#389 7 years ago

OK, so they're not just dim, they're flickering? What kind of LEDs are you using? I don't remember how I configured your board, but it is probably using the Spider-Man settings that are included in the configuration software. Those are tuned for standard (not non-ghosting) bulbs.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

In the image here, the red is what it uses after beating the villain once, orange is twice, and green is thrice. A setting of 12 is good for standard bulbs, but will flicker with non-ghosting. 60 at level 2 should be fine, even with non-ghosting, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I need a bit more information to be able to make suggestions without access to the game.

What bulbs are you using?
Can you read what values you're using? I'm guessing not since you had me pre-configure.
Is it only the villains? What about the white spider arrows during combos? Any others?

#392 7 years ago

I've dug into Docker enough that I don't see it happening any time soon. It sounds great for the guys that are already using Docker, but given that I wouldn't know what to do with it myself, I'm going to assume that others would find it equally confusing. If anyone wants to prove me wrong by creating the container and teaching me to use it, I'm game.

I did decide to go ahead and post what I have so far. It seems to be basically working. Here are source files, along with a README to help you get it running. It's only working for LED OCD (not GI OCD) for now.

http://ledocd.com/software/ledocd_web_gui.v0.1.tgz

I also created a Ubuntu Server VM and installed the files above. I've tested it to the point that I know the GUI works, but I haven't hooked a board up to it yet. If anyone is interested in the VM, send me a PM. I think I have unlimited bandwidth on my web host, but I'd rather not learn otherwise when I get the bill.

After I get a chance to test the VM, I'll look into creating an image for the Rasp Pi. If you're handy, though, you could use the source files above to get your own running.

If I find that nobody is using these, I'll probably shelve the project and take a nap instead.

#395 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Anyhow, I went ahead and created a Dockerfile

So much for that nap. I admire the initiative.

I was going to make an effort to learn, since Docker does seem very useful. Although I would like to, I haven't quite been able to give up my reliance on Windows. I normally run VM's with Linux when I need them. So, I first decided to install Docker for Windows. I found out the hard way that VMWare and Docker do not co-exist nicely. That is a bummer.

Next, I thought I could run Docker on one of my real Linux machines. All of them are still 32-bit. No go, there.

Even though it would be silly, maybe I could run Docker in a VM to learn it? Maybe a live 64-bit, or even find an unused machine to install 64-bit Linux on?

jyeakley , if you think it's useful, by all means, feel free to run with it. The only reason I'm working on any of this is help non-Windows guys, so if you can help provide more options, that's great.

The dmesg step is not necessary. It's simply a way to verify that the LED OCD was recognized and the driver was loaded. If you have a known working setup, you can just click the "Version" button to do basically the same thing.

So, how does that work in Docker? Would the driver be running on the host machine and the Docker image not need any of the serial port stuff included, just file I/O across the container boundary? In VMWare, I can either connect the USB device to the VM, or I can handle the USB stuff on the host and only connect the virtual serial port to the VM.

#396 7 years ago

OK, I got the GUI to work by running Docker inside a VM. It took a few tries because I didn't have access to the docker group, then the port 80 forwarding collided with apache running on the VM. I tried to use --device for the tty, but was unsuccessful.

Am I understanding correctly that once everything is working properly, the image could be hosted on Docker's repository and a single command could pull and run it, like the base ubuntu image can now?

Edit:
Now USB seems to be working. I only have a standard USB serial cable to test with, but it's showing up in the container and ledocd_cli can open it:
docker run -d --privileged -v /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb --name ledocd -p 8080:80 ledocd/ledocd:20161212

1 week later
#399 7 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Herg, I'm not sure if this has ever been asked, but have you ever considered seeing if it's possible to make an LED OCD for Gottlieb System 3 machines?

It's possible, but it would be a completely different design. I don't see much demand for it, and I promised myself that I wouldn't try to design another without having a game to work with.

BTW, on the Web GUI topic, I have uploaded an update to my website that can be used with GI OCD as well. I have a pre-configured VM and a Rasp Pi image that are both working and on my webite, but I'm still asking that people send me a message to ask for the URL to download them. I've been successful once, but most of the time, the download hangs. I guess my webhost sucks.

#402 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Does GI-OCD work properly on Twilight Zone with the Rottendog replacement clock board?

Assuming the Rottendog LEDs are installed with the same polarity as the schematic shows, they will not light. Worst case, you could reverse the LEDs on the clock board.

Edit: I just wanted to mention that the Rottendog LEDs are reversed when compared to diodes in series with the lamps on the stock clock board.

1 week later
#409 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hmm. Just installed the LED and GI OCD in my BoP. Everything was LEDs when I installed it. Things were working great.
Yesterday I installed incandescents into the helmet. It worked great for about 24 hours. I noticed tonight the helmet lights not on. I tracked it to a blown fuse in F2. I replaced the fuse with the same (2A SB) and it blew almost immediately.
herg, do you recommend I replace the fuse in F2 with a 4A SB, or should I be looking elsewhere? Why would the first fuse last a day and the new one burn out after a few seconds?

GI OCD is really designed to be used with LEDs, not incandescents. You can use some incandescent, but if you have a string full of them, you will normally end up blowing the fuse, as you have seen.

BoP is a special case since the helmet lights are not directly controlled by the GI circuits. They get power from GI, but they have an extra level of control in between. Your best option, technically, is to move that one string back to the stock power driver board. This would require some custom cabling, though.

You can probably get away with increasing that fuse value as long as your total current draw (from all 5 strings) is not too high. The string drivers can handle much more than 2A, but the main power input is a bottleneck. There is a 2A fuse on each string, and 10A fuse on the main input. DO NOT increase the value of F1, the 10A one.

#410 7 years ago

Oh, a couple of items to note:

1. Spooky boards arrived yesterday, and they're now available for purchase.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=25

2. I'm down to 9 GIzmo boards, and I don't plan on restocking them any time soon. If you want one, these or the few that resellers have are the last that will be available for quite a while.

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Herg will the OCD board work with the wood bb version of Met?

It works with all versions of Met Pro, including LED. It will not work with any Premium or LE.

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Can you give me some direction on how to achieve this?

Basically, you would have to build a splitter for the power input so that the transformer could be connected to the GI OCD and the power driver board at the same time. Then, you would build another splitter that would let you connect the helmet GI string to the power driver output while leaving the rest of the strings connected to the GI OCD outputs.

Here is a post where Patofnaud did a very similar mod to a STTNG, GI OCD, and KBOP mod.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue

If you need more guidance, I will have to wait until I have more time to write more complete instructions.

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

FWIW... Metallica seems to do very well without any OCD Board. No ghosting and reasonable lighting effects. I have standard cointakers in and didn't need an OCD to get satisfactory results. Of course you don't have the customization.. but that game I'd call it a marginal improvement. LOTR on the other hand... mandatory

Newer versions of Metallica software have an option to use "LED lighting effects" or some similar wording. If you select that option, it will avoid using effects that cause LEDs to react poorly. This is now the default setting, so unless you specifically set it to "incandescent effects", it will limit the effects to those that work well.

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I think I got it. Does it make sense to reconnect all the lines (except the ground) or just a few? Trying to be as minimalist as possible. I suppose re-using the existing 9 wire cable is pretty clean anyway, since it remains in the machine where it was disconnected.
Before I start down this project rat hole, I'm going to try a 4amp fuse and see if it's enough.

I would connect all of them (except the ground). Only 2 wires would be used in this case, but the connectors are still the same regardless of whether you connect the wires or not. If you don't connect the wires, then someone tries to use them later, it could confuse them and waste a lot of time. ...and yes, I would reuse the existing cable. All you would need is a splitter than uses that square molex connector in the bottom of the cabinet.

Sure, if the 4A fuse gets you to where you want, it would be much easier. Be aware that that 10A SB on the input is not a commonly available fuse. You'll likely have to order it from somewhere like Mouser if you blow it.

#421 7 years ago

TimeBandit is correct. You have to set the DMM to current, insert the DMM probes into the correct holes on the DMM, remove the fuse, and touch the probes to each of the two fuse holder contacts. It is AC current at F1, DC current (PWM'd) through F2-F6.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I got a consistent reading of 3.6 amps, and it dropped as the control cycle on the helmet changed, but nothing higher. Does this imply we can do a 4amp fuse and we're good, or is 3.6 amps on F2 going to push the whole thing over the edge?

What do the other strings (F3-F6) measure? 3.6A is pretty high for one string, but should not cause any problems with the driver for that string. Where you could run into trouble is if the total of all strings pulls more than the bridge can handle. It's difficult to set a fixed limit since the main cause of failure would be overheating, and that depends on ambient temperature, airflow, etc.

I feel pretty comfortable with 8A in any environment. 10A, I have tested over short periods in my AC'd basement, but I didn't not expect many people to pushing it that high for a long period of time.

#425 7 years ago

It's probably OK. I would like to know how hot the bridge and driver transistors are getting, if I was doing it. Worst case, if you blow a transistor, we can fix it.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Also, do you have a part number on that 10A fuse? I want to make sure I order a few just in case.

Here's information on all the fuses for our products:
http://ledocd.com/fuselist.html

3 weeks later
#433 7 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Has anyone used the LEDOCD software on a Windows10 machine?

Yes, I have myself, as well as others. Have you connected the board to the PC and powered it? The drivers don't like to install correctly if the PC hasn't seen the FTDI part before.

#437 7 years ago

Try running the driver installer as Administrator? Right-click on the installer, then select "Run as Administrator".

#439 7 years ago

Run the driver installer, not the LED OCD app, as Administrator.

#441 7 years ago

The driver is a separate installer linked from the website.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.12.00%20WHQL%20Certified.exe

#443 7 years ago

I'm glad you got it.

I'm not sure why the PS3 cable didn't work. 3 ft is not too long, by any means. I was talking about something like 15 ft. The ones I ship with kit are 6 ft, and I've never had a problem with those.

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Just got the LEDOCD installed in my World Poker Tour and am having a strange issue. Installed Comet LEDs throughout the machine. It works great except for some ghosting issues. Strangely, these appear to be lamps all in column 1 and row 1 in the matrix. I went into the software and set up a profile of all zeros and set this profile for lamps in the first row. I expected that the lamps would never light, but they come on to about 10% brightness. Any ideas?

Since you have the software working, I would suggest trying manual mode. When you first click it, all the lamps should go off. If not, the problem is on the output side (board transistors, lamp wiring, bad bulb, etc.).

If they do go off, try turning on lamps one at a time. If that works, the problem is probably on the input side. I have seen very few issues on the inputs, though.

Did you change the bulbs at the same time you added the OCD? Have you tried connecting the game's cables back to the driver board, bypassing the OCD to see if the problem still exists?

#447 7 years ago

After a bit more thought, it seems less likely to be a board issue, and more likely to be wiring or bulb related. Since it is all of row 1 and all of column 1, it is not confined to a single row or column. That makes it very unlikely to be a transistor at fault. I would look closely at the lamp at the intersection of those two.

#449 7 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Bingo! That lamp is the start button. When I remove the LED everything functions correctly. It definitely looks like some suspect wiring on that lamp, but I reversed the leads as well as resoldered and no change. I also tried a regular 555 temporarily with no difference. Not sure what the reason is, but that's definitely the cause. Thanks for the quick reply!

Is the diode there and installed the right direction?

1 month later
#454 7 years ago

They are in the LED OCD section, or you can go to all products.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=products_all

#456 7 years ago

No problem. I like an easy question once in a while.

1 month later
#460 7 years ago

Actually, they're in stock now. I asked the assembly house for a quote on a smaller quantity, and the price was still OK. I just received them a couple days ago.

1 week later
#463 7 years ago

I don't know enough about The Shadow to know the answer to this question, but are the ring lamps controlled by the lamp matrix?

If not, none of the following info will be relevant.

It's not AC at all. Both the stock game and LED OCD output a pulsed DC to the lamp matrix. Both are at about 18V DC. The difference between the two is that LED OCD pulses them at a faster rate and varies the pulse width to control brightness. Full brightness, for both the stock case and with LED OCD, is 18V DC that is on about 1/8th of the time.

Rectifiers are not useful other than making it such that the polarity of the LED doesn't matter. If you turn the LED the right way, you won't need a rectifier.

The resistor value will depend on the specs of your LED. Since they are being pulsed, you can usually get away with driving them with more current than the rated continuous current in the LED specs. Some will have a maximum pulse time, others, you'll be guessing.

If you assume that you don't want to ever overdrive them, you will need to work with 18V as your supply. Pinball LEDs do not do this. They assume ~6V, which is what the incandescent bulbs are rated at.

If you want to make sure the LEDs do not fail prematurely, look up the typical operating current (often 20mA) for the LED and the forward voltage (1.2V is a good guess) at that current. Then use Ohm's law.

V = I * R
18V supply minus the drop over the LED = the current you want to run them at * the resistor value.
In my example
18 - 1.2 = 0.020 * R
R = 840 ohms

If that's not bright enough and you don't mind risking the LEDs getting burned up, you could calculate for a 6V supply, taking the pulsing into account.
6 - 1.2 = 0.020 * R
R = 240 ohms

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Are the GI OCD boards now able to work in the UK on 50 Hz?

Yeah, firmware v7 added a 50 Hz timing option that can be enabled using the Windows GUI.

2 months later
#476 6 years ago
Quoted from cyberkryten:

My Spider-Man has LEDs though I don't know what type as they were done before I got it. Will the LED OCD make them less flickery/flashy?

It will. LED OCD is more effective on standard LEDs (not non-ghosting) as monkeyboypaul says, but you will get improvement with nearly any type of LEDs.

Quoted from cyberkryten:

Can't quite figure out if I need the Stern Gizmo too as I'm not sure what that controls?

LED OCD controls the lamp matrix (mostly inserts), while Gizmo smooths GI (under slingshots, other plastics, etc.). You can use either by itself or both together.

Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe the settings for SM are in the software drop down

Actually, there is an XML file included in the software download that can be imported. The drop down is only for mapping lamp numbers to specific names per game. I'll help you get fully up to speed so that you'll be able to take over the company after completing the "National Treasure" hunt when I kick the bucket.

You won't benefit from using a GIzmo unless the game's GI is also LED. And even then - the effect is very subtle. I've chosen not to install a GIzmo on TRON, but have on IM and SM. Each to their own.

True, it is very subtle. I actually designed GIzmo for my TRON first (start ZUSE, then hit the spinner), but I would say it shows a bit nicer effect in IM. I don't really know SM well enough to comment on it.

Quoted from dannunz:

I have a led OCD board in my Lotr and just recently like 5 inserts have started to stay solid lit when they are supposed to dim on and off. Thoughts?

Quoted from altan:

Do they stay solid if you remove the LEDOCD board?

altan has the correct answer here. You first need to determine if there is a problem with the game, then move on to troubleshooting the LED OCD if necessary. It's possible that one of the transistors on the LED OCD has failed, but no more so than a stock game. More commonly, a short under the playfield can cause this.

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

I had already put non-ghosting leds in my JP before I added the OCD board.
The default settings didn't appear to make much difference so, I had to up the delay to 8 to get a real nice on/off fade. Is this because of the ng-leds?

The issue with NG bulbs is more about the minimum low brightness than delay. At low brightness percentage, the bulbs will stay off, or even flicker. I would suggest leaving delay at default and increasing the B1 value to around 40 as a starting point. Something like:

40 46 52 59 65 72 78 85 @ delay 4

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

So I should disconnect the OCD board and see if it goes away correct?

Yes, that would be my recommendation. If it goes away, it would be likely that the OCD board has a problem. If not, it's an issue with the game.

#483 6 years ago

I'm hoping you don't have a GI OCD with plans to install in a Whitestar, since I don't make a GI OCD for Stern. You may have a GIzmo, since that does work with Whitestar.

Anyway, the LED OCD board mounts directly on the back of the backbox, while the ColorDMD mounts on the back side of the speaker panel. You won't have any issues with them interfering.

The Pinsound is another story. I have not installed one, but a quick look shows that it goes where I usually install LED OCD. Take a look at their installation instructions and avoid that area. It looks like you may have difficulty finding a spot, though.

1 month later
#490 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?

Check your email.

#497 6 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I do try to resolve any issues quickly, though forum posts are a bit more likely to slip through the cracks. Email or PM makes it more likely for me to see it.

1 week later
#499 6 years ago

I sent this reply via email as well, but in case it helps anyone else, I'll post it here.

I normally only use the one on the left. You can also choose to use a leg bolt on the right since it won't have the wide wings on it.

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Has anyone installed a LED OCD on an Ironman? Which setting do you recommend in the stern settings where you can choose incandescent or LED?
Does it make any difference?

Use the incandescent setting. You'll get more lighting effects, and the LED OCD will smooth them out.

3 months later
#507 6 years ago

I also sent an email to answer this, but 4A is for the older version of the board. Yours is a LED OCD Mini and uses a 1.6A (or 1.5A like you found installed).

#511 6 years ago
Quoted from redacted:

I got a LED OCD for my IMVE so I can enjoy the "incandescent" light show. I initially used the board with the default settings with good results, but soon wanted to experiment with the settings. I ran into something puzzling.
I focused on the blinking MONGE(R) light when the Iron Monger is up and one hit away from multiball. I was using the advanced technique described at http://ledocd.com/usage_led.html where you try a lamp with a ramp that is all zeroes except for a single 100. With this test, the lamp was only blinking with the ramp profile "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100", but not, for example, with "0 0 0 0 0 0 100 0".
I experimented some more and discovered that the ramp "0 0 0 0 0 0 100 100" resulted in the lamp staying dark, and the ramp "0 0 100 0 0 0 100 0" resulted in the lamp blinking. I find both of these results surprising. What's going on?

OK, I'm making a few assumptions, but here's what I think you're seeing.

The advanced instructions were written a few years ago, and since then a special case was written into the firmware to allow incandescent bulbs to be used while bypassing all of the ramping features. Say you had an bulb above the playfield that you wanted to leave incandescent; that's the reason I added the feature. It is accessed for a single profile when B7 and dim delay are both 0.

One assumption is that you may have delay set to 0. This will make this test not work as expected.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 D:0 - This would be in incandescent mode and bypass all fading. This is not useful for determining which brightness values are used.
0 0 0 0 0 0 100 0 D - Here, B7 is not zero, so fading is used, and since it's not blinking, it says the game is not driving out any B7.
0 0 0 0 0 0 100 100 D - B7 is not zero. Fading is used. It's not blinking, so neither B7 or B8 are being used.
0 0 100 0 0 0 100 0 D - B7 is not zero. Fading is used. It is blinking, so either B3 or B7 are used. The previous test said B7 is not used, so it must be B3.

1 month later
#517 6 years ago

Yes, there are csv files in the "data" directory. You should be able to easily create your own, or I could create one assuming the manual lists the insert names, which most do.

2 weeks later
#521 6 years ago

I would recommend replacing the button lamps. The clock won't matter for LED OCD since it's GI. The flasher won't matter either. The ones on the coin door are GI as well, so you don't have to replace them if you don't want to.

#523 6 years ago

If those are the only incandescents you have, the GI OCD would be OK, but the incandescent bulbs would be really dim. The coin door bulbs are easily accessible inside the coin door. There is one screw that holds the socket in place.

#529 6 years ago

I'm thinking that I just went through my stash and found LEDs skinny enough to fit.

2 weeks later
#532 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I do have one thing with fast strobing lights (at a high rate). Like the red arrows in Navi hurry up mode.
It is done this way by default by the game's software.

You can use an approach similar to what I did on SM and IM. See the Advanced section of this page:
http://ledocd.com/usage_led.html

Basically, you will be changing the shape of the curve so that it is steeper in the middle where the fast blinking occurs.

Edit: Crap! It has been so long since I wrote that, I had forgotten what it says, and it's not really applicable to your issue. Yours is more like the IM issue I had. You can look at the IM configuration file in the software archive to get an idea of what I did. I don't have much time to describe now, but if you need more help, let me know.

#534 6 years ago

Can I look at this like the curve stays lower (steps B1-B4) for a longer time and then suddenly increases quite fast to stay on the higher side (B6-B8)?

Yes.

Resulting in a more blinky pattern?

Kinda. Say the game is changing so fast that the OCD only has time to fade from B3 to B6, and it oscillates between those. If you make that section of the curve steeper, you will see more blinking when the game is in that pattern. When the game is blinking slower, it will go all the way from B0 to B8 in the same amount of time, so you won't notice a lot of difference there.

How should I look at the delay 0 = no delay so B8 is the one that is immediately reached?

Delay 0 means to make a brightness adjustment on every one of the game's refresh cycles, which happens at 125 Hz.

But still respecting the minimum of B1?

The true minimum is always B0, which is set to a 0% duty cycle (always off).

How should I look at the delay 1 vs 3? Is this in milliseconds 1 = 10, 2=20, ..?

I don't even get that precise myself when setting up games. It's more a feeling than science when you get to that point. If it's going from full off to full on too quickly, increase delay or vice versa.

8 months later
#552 5 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Hello,
Just getting a TAF back together after a year apart. LED OCD worked for several years. TAF controlled game lights all work without OCD but when OCD is put back following instructions no lights come on or a few do but do not cycle. Of course the laptop is now out of date and need to install software again when there is time. So likely all setting lost. Not sure why board no longer works and lost its settings?

It is unlikely that it lost it's settings while just sitting. They are written into the data EEPROM of the PIC, and that is pretty reliable.

More likely is that one of the game outputs (LED OCD inputs) is not working, so the board is not synchrized with the game. What are the LEDs on the OCD board doing?

1 week later
#555 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Is there anything I need to be aware of fitting a GI OCD to my TAF in the UK? I'm sure I read an old post about how it didn't work or needed some specific firmware to run on 220v/50hz here in the UK? I don't know if that was still the case or if I needed to know anything else?
I bought both boards direct from the US at the start of the year so I presume they are the latest versions but never got around to fitting them to my TZ at the time (it turned out to have GI dimming issues).

A GI OCD purchased recently will have the latest firmware, which allows you to choose 50Hz from within the configuration GUI.

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Thanks. Assuming I might not have that firmware already - how would I update it without damaging it by connecting it up?

You won't damage it. It would only be slightly out of sync, and you may see a little bit of flicker. Also, the new firmware has been shipping for about 3 years now, so you should have it.

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

herg has there been any work/interest in an LED OCD solution for classic Stern/Bally games?

A bit of work has been done, but I wouldn't expect anything soon. I wrote some firmware for a guy who was working on a replacement driver board. He did a bit of testing, but it wasn't working quite right, and the project has since stalled.

I'm presuming this is a hard no, but does LED OCD work with the surface mounted inserts on AC/DC premium vault? They are pretty jarringly bright and choppy looking. I wish Stern would offer a software tweak to enable fading.

No, it doesn't. They're controlled completely differently, and I don't have any games to test on. I really don't have much motivation, either, since I don't plan to buy any Stern SAM with serial controlled lighting.

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry to tee up a goofy question but I failed to find an answer. I have the LEDOCD board on several games and Love it!!! Granted I simply installed it and it worked so the custom program extras I leave to the smarter then I crowd. Recently I picked up a beautiful TOTAN that was LED upgraded and I added the LEDOCD as the flicker (lightening look) was to much. My issue..... All machine lights are now perfect Except the previous owner added LED post rings and LED pop cap rings which still seem to flicker like a lightening storm. Is this something I could possibly tune using the software or just tear out all the LED rings they added? The lights do look great but really take away from the effect as I fear a seizure coming on. lol Appreciate any guidance. Thanks

Where did they connect them? I would assume GI. If so, you may be able to turn off GI dimming, or you could add a GI OCD.

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Has there been any attempts at getting an GI OCD to work with CFTBL's chase light board? I tried to make a Y harness to send power to the pins on the driver board that feed the chase light board so I can separate the chase light wiring from the GI ocd board but this results in the GI OCD board blowing its fuse. I assume its seeing the load from the driver board. Maybe using diodes to block reverse current draw would work, and if so what diode would be the best choice?

If you make the splitter right, it should work. I know people have successfully done it for STTNG, and I think I remember others being successful with CFTBL.

1 month later
#569 5 years ago

It depends on whether your bulbs are "AC", meaning they have a bridge in them. If so, the direction won't matter.

1 month later
#581 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I'm aware that GI dimming has to be enabled in settings for it to work in test, etc - I've ruled out settings.

That was going to be my suggestion, but you've already ruled that out. It very well could be the zero crossing signal. Because of the way GI OCD reads this signal directly off the ribbon between the CPU and power driver, it *might* work, even if the power driver has an issue. It's safer to make sure the game is working before installing, though.

Quoted from Durzel:

The fuse that was preinstalled in there has 1.5A 50V on it - is that right?

The board you have is an older design, and the current limit on it is lower due to the small transistors. I shipped them with 1.5A fuses, anything over 32V is fine. Fuse information is here:
http://ledocd.com/fuselist.html

1.5A can be borderline depending on the bulbs (2SMD will pull a bit more current). Also on the page listed above, "Note: Early boards were shipped with 1A. If this does not blow unexpectedly, it will better protect your LED OCD from damage in the case of a short. It is, however, safe to increase to 2.5A if you are having trouble with it blowing in normal operation." So, don't just go increasing the fuse for no reason, but you can increase (I suggest taking baby steps) if it is blowing and you're certain there is not a legitimate problem with the game causing it.

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Am I missing out anything by not having the Rev 3 version?

It has bigger transistors and as a result, it can survive stuff like pushing down and shorting or shorted lamp sockets a bit more often. It's still not foolproof, though. There are no other differences in operation.

Quoted from Durzel:

scoop light mods

It depends on how these are powered. If they're hanging off the lamp matrix, they will certainly put more strain on the OCD transistors. If they're on GI, they're probably fine, and if they're powered by a separate source, even better.

Quoted from Durzel:

unless 2A is safer?

Yes, a 2A would blow quicker in the case of a "real" short, possibily saving the board. Still no guarantees, though.

I only have the older rev4 design with transistors and a break out board (don’t ask me how rev4 is older!)

When I moved to the smaller LED OCD Mini, the revision numbers started over. Looking back at it, it probably is a bit confusing.

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Can LED OCD handle the "All Lamp Test" test mode, where all insert lamps switch on at the same time and off again?

It's no more of a "problem" than a normal game mode. Only one column is on at any time, so 8 lamp locations max. If you have an extra bulb, like the scoop lights, you now have 9 bulbs, rather than 8.

Quoted from Durzel:

I have GI OCD yet to fit ("Rev 4 or later"). Should I be worried that I have Comet 2SMD in all of the GI too, and a few OpMax ones too?

If you don't have extra stuff hanging off the GI, it should be fine. About 13 lamps per string is normal. Those bulbs run about 100 mA, if I remember correctly. That's about 1.3A, and the stock fuses are 2A per string.

#589 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am going down to readjust my Monster Bash GIOCD which, though I’ve had it installed for 6 months or more, I never noticed that it wasn’t deactivating the back box when the other GI strings were off.

Stock WPC95 games do not have the ability to turn off strings 4 and 5, which are typically used for the backbox. The defaults settings of GI OCD handle this by setting those strings to "Always On", and it will operate like the stock game did. You can use the software to use the control input from a different string to control 4 and 5.

#606 5 years ago

Rdoyle1978 has some really good answers here. Some bulbs don't like going to that low of a duty cycle. Trying the higher refresh rate and making your own determination is a good idea. It may actually make the shimmering worse, depending on the cause, though. If you're seeing bulbs that sometimes don't light at a narrow pulse width, setting it to 1kHz refresh will make that pulse even more narrow. If you're seeing strobing, setting it to a higher refresh rate should help.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Is there any reason B7 and B8 would be the same brightness in GI test

I can't say for certain why, but there is absolutely no difference in output between B7 and B8 from the games. As a result, I can't detect which one it's set to.

#615 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

herg, if you think this makes sense, I can send you the stl file

@davi, I thought this was a good idea, so I ran with it a bit. I thought, why not make it a bit taller, so it protects the sides as well. Plus, I made it print on it's end so I can fit more on the build plate at once. I'm going to start shipping these with GI OCD, at least for a while to see what people think.

IMG_0324 (resized).JPGIMG_0324 (resized).JPG
#617 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

herg will there be any way for us folk in the UK to buy one? I'd definitely be keen to protect mine.

I'll post the stl file, but I won't be shipping them to the UK. Sorry.

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Herg, will you post them on your site for purchase?

Hmmm... It would be pretty crappy of me to make you buy it when others will be getting them included. Maybe I'll put them up there free and you just pay shipping.

#622 5 years ago

It's a pretty tight fit as is, but the idea is that you'd still tie it down with a zip tie. In this case the tie goes through both the board and protector.

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from mordroc:

Hello. I just purchased my first LED-OCD board. I plan to install it in my LOTR today for the insert lighting. My insert lighting is roughly about 85% LED and 15% incandescent. Basically I have currently kept incandescent bulbs for the collection of all the fellowship characters, and the modes around the ring magnet at the top. All the other inserts are LED. From what I have been reading, I am getting the impression that I would blow the fuse because of the amount of incandescent lighting I still have in some of these inserts. Is that true? Also under my Mode Start insert I have a color changing LED. Will there be any issue with how the board handles that type of LED?

That actually should be OK. Stern LED OCD can handle more incandescent than WPC because it has bigger transistors. When I owned LOTR, I did basically the same. All the characters and other clear inserts, I kept incandescent.

The color changer is a bit more difficult to predict. Some work, some get stuck on one color, and others don't light at all. My best suggestion there is to try it and see.

6 months later
#641 4 years ago

I'd start with single lamp test. Does the suspect lamp light when it shouldn't? If so, which selections cause it?

1 month later
#645 4 years ago

I've already responded to Durzel via PM, but will post this for others.

Comet actually does carry the GI OCD now. On https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards, pull down the "Type" drop down.

1 month later
#665 4 years ago

If you're printing your own bracket, you could always adjust the size of the mounting holes so that it fits whatever screws you have. You may end up tweaking it anyway since I find that inside diameters of holes are highly dependent on the printer. If you use conductive screws, just make sure that the screw heads don't short to anything on the top side of the board.

For the breakout board, please make sure it can't short against something else. I zip tie mine to the harness where it comes up from the lower cabinet. If you have one of the covers, that would help, but the back side of those IDC connectors are exposed as well. I don't want anyone damaging something because that board flops into something it shouldn't.

1 month later
#684 4 years ago

Yes, GI OCD outputs DC. Use a meter to determine which wire is positive. It may be worth checking the LEDs for a bridge, in which case, the polarity wouldn't matter.

1 week later
#686 4 years ago

That's most likely a transistor. What revision board is it? What game, and which lamps are stuck on?

#688 4 years ago

The latest is Rev3, and the change is to use larger transistors that are much more resilient. I have had zero reports of failed transistors on a Rev3 board.

Row 8 is controlled by Q16. If the board is out of the game, the easiest way to test that it truly is the transistor failed short is to use a DMM on continuity check. Use one lead on J11, pin 9. The other lead on GND.

On a Rev2 board, that is a Infineon IRLML6344. If you are not planning to replace it yourself, you can return it to me for repair. Send me an email.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

On my DW im getting a little ghosting on the second chance insert and doctor #1 in the speaker panel.
Ramping up and down of the flashing inserts during attract mode is exceptional.
Its not terrible.
The LEDs are lightyears ahead of what they were without the ledocd. Its impressive!
What adjustments should i make?
Or should i just put in non ghosting bulbs in those locations?
Im already running the doctor who preset from the website.
I might have to get the giocd to enable gi dimming. But so far i dont miss it and basically have never used it.

The CSV files on the website do not contain any settings. They are only for mapping insert names to lamp locations so you can easily tell which lamp is which in the software.

Assuming you didn't make any changes to the settings manually, you will be running the defaults as defined in the PC software. Those defaults work well with normal LEDs, and you shouldn't need non-ghosting. Setting the brightness too high on a lamp can cause ghosting on the adjacent lamp column. Having incandescent bulbs can also sometimes cause ghosting within the same row or column.

If you don't have any incandescent bulbs in the lamp matrix (the start button is a common one that gets missed), try turning down the brightness. If that doesn't fix it, you likely have a problem that is not typical ghosting. A short or other problem can look like ghosting, but the LED OCD settings cannot do anything to correct those kinds of errors.

3 years later
#743 10 months ago

Answered it here (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress/page/8#post-7671192) a while back.

Connect to a PC and use the software to select different control sources for the two backbox strings. WPC95 will set those to "Always On" by default, but you can use any of the other inputs, which do turn off during Strobe Multiball.

From https://ledocd.com/usage_gi.html

"Input 1, Input 2, Input 3, Input 1, Input 2 (or something similar) is useful to make WPC95 games more active. This allows strings 4 and 5 (normally the backbox) to be controlled even though there is not anything programmed into the pinball machine to control them. One example where this is useful is AFM. During Strobe Multiball, the machine turns off the playfield GI, and this setting will also turn off the backbox GI, making it completely dark."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Anaheim, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.