Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DC2E3468-CC68-4C41-9863-C2F0079DEF80 (resized).jpeg
SANY0015.jpg
20150927_170705.jpg
LED_OCD_Capcom_Fit_Check.pdf (PDF preview)
BBB - Playfield.jpg
BBB - Tube.jpg
BBB - Rays.jpg
BBB - Pop Area.jpg
BBB - Flipper.jpg
BBB - Aliens.jpg

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Has anyone attempted to LED a Capcom game with success? If so, which vendor and LED did you use. The refresh rate of the lamp matrix is faster than Bally/Williams/DE games and tends to make them blink.

Here is a video of someone trying to LED a BBB that wasn’t totally successful.

#2 5 years ago

You need to talk to Black_Rose. He did a Pinball Magic I know, and of course used Cointaker since I'm pretty sure he is part owner of the company.

#3 5 years ago

I wouldn't do it, myself. And, just for the record, I LED every one of my pins.... Except for pinball magic.

#4 5 years ago

I tried some on my Break Shot. Didn't work out too well. Good thing that one is well lit from the factory.

#5 5 years ago

I have Comet LEDs for the GI in my Breakshot and they work great (because they're constantly on). I don't think there's any good way to get the inserts to look good since they constantly fade in and out. We need an LED OCD for Capcom

#6 5 years ago

None of the LED's on the market work (even the ones that claim they do). They work only in the GI in Breakshot since they are a constant on 6.3VAC. Every other game uses a lamp matrix (2 actually) for all inserts and GI.

Only way to fix this would be to do the LED OCD board for Capcom (has someone tried this yet?) You would need 2 of these boards to do all the bulbs in a game.

#7 5 years ago

Tried in a Flipper Football and that game did not like them...

Has anyone figured out the secret sauce for Capcoms with LEDs?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

You need to talk to Black_Rose. He did a Pinball Magic I know, and of course used Cointaker since I'm pretty sure he is part owner of the company.

,, CoinTaker Rule's !! I Blinged a Pinball Magic w/ Premium 2's .. It work'd & lOok'd GoOd

W/ a Capcom U have to use an Led that Will Not Ghost ( Period ) Premium Led's R the Best !!

While on Y_T , type N " Pinball Magic Cointaker " i have 3 or 4 vid's- of this Pin -- In Step's

#9 5 years ago

I did a Breakshot with Pinball Life non ghosting bulbs and they worked great (inserts). there was zero ghosting at all.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

LED OCD board for Capcom (has someone tried this yet?)

Not that I'm aware of. If anyone has the motivation to try, I'm willing support you with schematics, information, etc.

Quoted from hAbO:

The refresh rate of the lamp matrix is faster than Bally/Williams/DE games

Do you know what the refresh rate is? If it is significantly different, the firmware on the Williams LED OCD won't work without modifications. If someone gets scope traces, I would be willing to modify the firmware.

#11 5 years ago

I tried the cointaker Premium 2 LED's in a Pinball Magic and an Airborne (as they claimed they would work in these games). Waste of time and money in Capcoms. Ghosting is not the problem, the flickering is.

You can see the flickering at 12-13 seconds in the video as all the lights ramp up then ramp down.

#12 5 years ago

Until some kind of LED OCD board is designed for Capcoms, it's a waste of time trying to put LEDs in them.

#13 5 years ago

yeah, pinball magic just doesn't have a good LED solution yet.
Maybe LED-OCD could do Capcom research and make a board for us

#14 5 years ago

I picked up a Cointaker kit for my BBB and it looks exactely like the video posted. I thought that since it was a few years old and that it was available on the page that the problem would be fixed.

I asked if the LED Controller (coming soon) will support Capcom games and unfortunately they arent.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

#15 5 years ago

No luck with anything I have or everything else I have from others.

I tried, our Optix, (No ghosting, no flicker(No-Flix)) super Flux....no good, still flickers.

I have not tried the bulb coming in for older Sterns and Ballys with the extra resistor, but with a little luck, those will be in for 2 weeks.

LEDS look nice, but the flickering...I couldnt do it to this game, Pinball Magic, and the fade/wipe affects are so damn nice in these!

Art

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have not tried the bulb coming in for older Sterns and Ballys with the extra resistor,

Those probably won't solve the flicker problem on capcoms as the hardware that drives the lamps is different. The resistor however might solve the lamp out problems in the error reports on capcoms and pin2k.

#17 5 years ago

Who is making the resistor added LEDs? There are a couple other manufacturers that these would work with, Gameplan being one and I think Zaccaria as well.

#18 5 years ago

I love my Airborne. My only complaint is that we can't control the lighting. I love the way the incandescent fade in and out, but it just looks too dark in my collection.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Who is making the resistor added LEDs?

That would be Comet, aka Art, aka OLDPINGUY.

Like I said, guys, if someone wants to be a LED OCD guinea pig, I'm willing to help where I can. You'd be doing most of the work, however, since I don't have a Capcom machine to work with. Maybe a group project?

#20 5 years ago

I contacted Melissa at Cointaker and she said there is something they did to their BBB in the settings to get their LED's to work. Maybe this can be done to make the severe ghosting tolerable in other Capcoms.

#21 5 years ago

Count m in Herg,

Id be happy to help in anyway I can!

Art

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I contacted Melissa at Cointaker and she said there is something they did to their BBB in the settings to get their LED's to work. Maybe this can be done to make the severe ghosting tolerable in other Capcoms.

Certainly this would be nice to know!

#23 5 years ago

Turn off fading effects?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Certainly this would be nice to know!

+1

Quoted from tamoore:

Turn off fading effects?

Is there a setting for that? I don't recall seeing that in the menu

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That would be Comet, aka Art, aka OLDPINGUY.
Like I said, guys, if someone wants to be a LED OCD guinea pig, I'm willing to help where I can. You'd be doing most of the work, however, since I don't have a Capcom machine to work with. Maybe a group project?

Jason has a Breakshot... Maybe he can be enticed?

#26 5 years ago

It sounds like Breakshot is a different setup. Maybe it still has the two lamp matrices; I really haven't researched it much. Plus, I'm not sure Jason has installed the Stern boards he bought over a year ago. I wouldn't want to entice him into a project knowing he's not really motivated.

I'm not really self-motivated to do a Capcom LED OCD, either, but if there are people who own games and want to move it forward, I am willing to help.

#27 5 years ago

Herg...I don't know much about this, but I we can use my airborne as a test bench...

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Herg...I don't know much about this, but I we can use my airborne as a test bench...

Thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM to see how/if we want to move forward.

#29 5 years ago

Herg, I'm in VA also and have BBB we can use for testing.

#30 5 years ago

Just replied to Herg...we are fairly close, so this may get some traction...stay tuned.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Herg, I'm in VA also and have BBB we can use for testing.

Thanks. Burningman is a lot closer than Virginia Beach, so as long as he's willing, it's pretty convenient. Once I can get over there with an oscilloscope, we'll have a better idea of the amount of work involved.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It sounds like Breakshot is a different setup. Maybe it still has the two lamp matrices; I really haven't researched it much. Plus, I'm not sure Jason has installed the Stern boards he bought over a year ago. I wouldn't want to entice him into a project knowing he's not really motivated.
I'm not really self-motivated to do a Capcom LED OCD, either, but if there are people who own games and want to move it forward, I am willing to help.

Breakshot has a different driver board and power supply than the other games and has only 1 matrix. GI is old fashioned always on 6VAC

#33 5 years ago

I'll have to confirm what LED's are in the kit when I get home. After talking to Chris at Cointaker today, Im pretty sure I didnt get a kit with premium or premium 2 LED's which will work in my BBB(Blackrose was correct)

Theres no magic setting in the menu

3 months later
#34 4 years ago

Finally got around to installing this and I'm liking it.

BBB - Aliens.jpg BBB - Flipper.jpg BBB - Playfield.jpg BBB - Pop Area.jpg BBB - Rays.jpg BBB - Tube.jpg
#35 4 years ago

I led all my pins. I have decided not to do Pinball Magic because of losing the fade in and out effect for the G.I. I really like that effect and so does my wife. If anyone ever figures out a way to LED and preserve that feature I may get interested.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Pubaw:

I led all my pins. I have decided not to do Pinball Magic because of losing the fade in and out effect for the G.I. I really like that effect and so does my wife. If anyone ever figures out a way to LED and preserve that feature I may get interested.

I agree, BreakShot has the same fading effect that led's can't emulate. Once they figure this one out, I certainly would be interested too!!

#37 4 years ago

I tried a few on my Pinball Magic and didn't how the look and took them out. I agree it loses the fade in and out look and other things I think LEDs just can't offer.

4 months later
#38 4 years ago

Anything new on the market that will work? Trying to do a Capcom Breakshot & any advice would be appreciated. I changed them all over thinking it was ok because there were a few done already. Too bad I didn't notice they were for sockets that were on constantly..

#39 4 years ago

I've been working with a BBB owner, and I now have a working prototype LED OCD in his machine. I'm putting together a second system for a PM owner to test. Right now, there is a mess of cables and two separate boards, so I would need to do some redesign to make it practical.

Also, I know that Breakshot is different than those two, but I'm not really sure how much different.

1 week later
#40 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I've been working with a BBB owner, and I now have a working prototype LED OCD in his machine. I'm putting together a second system for a PM owner to test. Right now, there is a mess of cables and two separate boards, so I would need to do some redesign to make it practical.
Also, I know that Breakshot is different than those two, but I'm not really sure how much different.

Sweet, I missed this news. There are literally 10s of people right now who would be interested in this!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

There are literally 10s of people right now who would be interested in this!

That's what I'm afraid of. I hadn't been that motivated to get it done until I had a few very persistent inquiries. I'm just not sure it's worth redesigning a Capcom specific board, and the prototype kit really is messy. I don't want to build them myself, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get a manufacturer to build these cables.

On the bright side, here are some videos of it in BBB:

The second kit, destined for a Pinball Magic, shipped out today.

#42 4 years ago

I'll commit to one for the Airborne.

#43 4 years ago

I would be in for BBB!

#44 4 years ago

I'd preorder one for Breakshot even if it costs more than a WPC LED OCD. But I also know there are 15000 TZs, 11000 STTNGs, 13000 IJs, 20000 TAFs... and a handful of Capcom pins. CPR made a Fireball backglass that no one bought, I imagine designing and producing electronics that no one buys would be even more of a bummer.

So long as LED OCD is available for my B/W games, my life will remain complete...

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Breakshot has only 1 lamp matrix instead of 2. The GI's are just straight AC through 4 fused circuits.

#46 4 years ago

Once I get my BBB I'll be in for one too

This game needs that futuristic look of sharp bright LED's and I can't wait to finally own a BBB (just need to pry one out of an owners hands first)

#47 4 years ago

+1 for a BBB version

#48 4 years ago

Please put me down for two to add to the numbers

Cheers

#49 4 years ago

Id like one for a Pinball Magic?

You really made some? WOW!

Art

#50 4 years ago

Tried LEDing an Airborne last year and it totally screwed up the game. It was really disappointing to take out all the lights again and replace the incandescents.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside