(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.
#201 8 years ago

I've got a boatload of premium cointaker LEDs. I've read that these don't work as well with the LED OCD (basically any non-ghosting LEDs).

Should I go out and buy some non-premium ones or will these work just fine? I've got 2 machines I want to LED over but not sure which route to take. Figure I can always sell the LEDs I've got and recoup some money.

#202 8 years ago

I have Comets no ghost in my Avatar LE and it ghosted then I put the OCD in. The lights look perfect now even with the OCD set at default. I know it's a pain but try your bulbs with the OCD, you might like it. Report back if you try this.

#203 8 years ago

I would try it, I have no issue with no ghost bulbs, at least with default settings. Comet only makes no ghosting bendie bulbs which I use a lot mixed with normal bulbs.

#204 8 years ago

Isn't it only an issue if you set it below 40%? What do most people have theirs set at?

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Isn't it only an issue if you set it below 40%? What do most people have theirs set at?

Well, the circuitry that prevents them from ghosting also prevents them from fading on/off quite as smoothly, and prevents them from dimming properly. Basically anything below roughly 40% illumination (varies by manufacturer) it will just shut off, with virtually no room for dimming between the on and off states. It's not a huge deal really, moreso for GI OCD I feel, but if you're already shelling out the cash for LED OCD, I feel like you might as well spend the extra $50 on new bulbs to get it perfect. Just my opinion of course.

3 months later
#206 8 years ago

An old bump!

Question!
Anyone have the measurements for the GI OCD and the Led OCD boards? HxW?

Thanks!

#207 8 years ago

Williams/DataEast LED OCD - 5.8" x 3.35"
Stern LED OCD - 4.95" x 3.55"
GI OCD - 6.0" x 2.225"

Assuming you're planning to use the customization, don't forget to leave room for the USB port.

#208 8 years ago

Thanks Herg.

1 month later
#209 8 years ago

Any progress for Capcom games? My pinball magic is in need

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Any progress for Capcom games?

It's coming along slowly. Most of my progress is documented here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-capcom-games#post-2550560

In summary:
1. There are two kits made by hacking up a couple of the kits for Williams games that are running in a BBB and a PM. The owners of these games say these are working well.
2. There is some video of the BBB, and it is posted in the above thread.
3. I have preliminary video of the PM, but the owner says he will shoot some new video of the game after I made a couple of changes to the firmware.
4. A prototype board that combines the two controllers into one smaller design is in process. The bare board is being fabricated now, and I have parts on order.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

A prototype board that combines the two controllers into one smaller design is in process. The bare board is being fabricated now, and I have parts on order.

Would that be just for Capcom, or are you redesigning/shrinking/combining the boards for other systems as well?

#212 8 years ago

Just Capcom. It requires two controllers to handle the two matrices, and having two separate boards in this case only adds complexity. The only other boards that could be combined would be a LED OCD/GI OCD combo for WPC, and not everyone wants both.

As for shrinking them, I don't see much incentive for it. For Capcom, I tried to make it small to fit closer to the driver board, hopefully eliminating some cabling. For WPC, it would never fit close enough to the driver connectors, and Stern already does.

3 weeks later
#213 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Well, the circuitry that prevents them from ghosting also prevents them from fading on/off quite as smoothly, and prevents them from dimming properly. Basically anything below roughly 40% illumination (varies by manufacturer) it will just shut off, with virtually no room for dimming between the on and off states. It's not a huge deal really, moreso for GI OCD I feel, but if you're already shelling out the cash for LED OCD, I feel like you might as well spend the extra $50 on new bulbs to get it perfect. Just my opinion of course.

edit: I did read earlier posts but they conflicted with later ones. Still, I should have just read the FAQ. I guess I had an old link for the site/dropbox stuff which got pulled. Thanks for the new one!

#214 8 years ago

Well, since nobody reads the earlier posts in the thread, I'll save some typing and just refer to the FAQ:

http://ledocd.com/faq_led.html

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Morydees:

Wait, is it really the case that we should be using non-premium LEDs in order for the LED OCD to work properly?

No. You just get better tuning of cheapo LEDs as the premium ones will try to 'fix' some of the goodness which is LED OCD, by having all that bridge/filter crap in them.

Besides, premium do not give you the nice ramp up/down incandescent feel of LED. They only try to remove flicker.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

No. You just get better tuning of cheapo LEDs as the premium ones will try to 'fix' some of the goodness which is LED OCD, by having all that bridge/filter crap in them.
Besides, premium do not give you the nice ramp up/down incandescent feel of LED. They only try to remove flicker.

That's just it, the entire point of me buying an OCD was for the proper ramping/fading as I don't have any ghosting issues. Knowing this now (and what's in the FAQ), I guess I'll be replacing all of my Ablaze premiums. Thanks for the clarification.

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

all that bridge/filter crap in them

Just to clarify, the bridge is fine. You can use "AC" bulbs with no issues. It's the filter crap that keeps LED OCD from working at it's best.

Quoted from Morydees:

I guess I'll be replacing all of my Ablaze premiums.

Depending on your current results, that might be overkill. You will get better results if you do, but how much better is somewhat variable. If you are happy with how it looks now, it's probably not worth spending all the money and time to replace the bulbs. You could install a few easy to reach "dumb" bulbs to compare the difference. You could also use the manual mode to see how your bulbs react to low brightness values.

I'm starting to wonder if a video showing the difference between the bulbs and how to use manual mode would be helpful. This question comes up all the time.

#218 8 years ago

Great to know, thanks for the direct response herg. I'm looking forward to picking up an OCD soon after seeing how amazing games look with proper fading. Keep up the great work!

#219 8 years ago

I now officially have LED OCD in all my games (Kiss doesn't count). Works like a champ in EATPM.

LED OCD remains a must have device for any game I own.

#220 8 years ago

Good to know MF.. EATPM will be the next machine I install one in. Got any vids?

is mine without....

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Depending on your current results, that might be overkill. You will get better results if you do, but how much better is somewhat variable. If you are happy with how it looks now, it's probably not worth spending all the money and time to replace the bulbs. You could install a few easy to reach "dumb" bulbs to compare the difference. You could also use the manual mode to see how your bulbs react to low brightness values.
I'm starting to wonder if a video showing the difference between the bulbs and how to use manual mode would be helpful. This question comes up all the time.

Definitely agree....I left my CT premiums in both my SM and TSPP, and noticed a BIG improvement.....had to ramp up my cutoff a bit and changed the delay time, but it does everything I want ( nice smooth fades) without having to change back to cheap LED bulbs....anxious to get one in my FGY now.....once you start, it's a must for all your machines, sadly...

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Good to know MF.. EATPM will be the next machine I install one in. Got any vids?
» YouTube video is mine without....

No vids yet. I'm still tweaking the game to suit my taste. LED OCD install took maybe 15 minutes because my kids were distracting me. Swapped the GI with Comet sunlight and waiting for new ramps from Starship Fantasy. I have a topper waiting for me from Joe as soon as my wallet recovers!

And of course, the fade effects look fantastic.

#223 8 years ago

Here is a different way to view LED OCD...

One of these machines has LED OCD and GI OCD installed, the other 2 do not...

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Here is a different way to view LED OCD

Nice video! Do you mind if I link to it from my website?

#225 8 years ago

Okay, I'm anal so I'll ask the question:

Why do the "RA" in "ELVIRA" on that machine not light up until the lights sweep back and forth. That would drive me batshit.

And it's because I'm anal that all my machines get PDI glass, a FF speaker upgrade, and LED OCD boards. The three most useful mods you can get for your machine. Best $600 you'll spend (for all three mods...not just the LED OCD!).

I'm just about to order a few more from Herg.

Speaking of which, are these necessary and/or available for Spike machines?

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Speaking of which, are these necessary and/or available for Spike machines?

Not available.

Working from memory, I'm thinking Kiss looks pretty good stock. Granted, I was a bit tipsy last time I played it.

BTW, good to see you back Boob.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Here is a different way to view LED OCD...
One of these machines has LED OCD and GI OCD installed, the other 2 do not...
» YouTube video

That's easy, ST has them.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Nice video! Do you mind if I link to it from my website?

Of course Herg. You've helped me tons.

Once I get my KBOP working I'll let know know how I did that also. It's next on my list.

Yep it is the STTNG. Not much room left in that head after the GI OCD, LED OCD and the control for the Flipper Fidelity speakers. I do have to downgrade my bulbs from CT Premiums to some cheap non-non-ghosting bulbs to better capitalize on the OCD.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why do the "RA" in "ELVIRA" on that machine not light up until the lights sweep back and forth. That would drive me batshit.

Yeah, the game uses them much like the T H I N G in TAF on the speaker panel that carries over from game to game. You'da thunk during attract mode they would do a full sweep and not just the ones that were 'made' during the prior game. Maybe it was a 'Hey this machine is almost made, I'll play it!' kind of thinking.

1 month later
#230 8 years ago

Is there an LED OCD board available for the pinball 2000 platform?

#231 8 years ago

No, nothing for Pin2000. Maybe I can take a look at it after I get some other projects under control.

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Is there an LED OCD board available for the pinball 2000 platform?

I would go for one of those Herg for my RFM, it needs it bad.

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would go for one of those Herg for my RFM, it needs it bad.

Yes, the GI is controlled by the lamp matrix too and would benefit greatly from this board. A friend of mine is storing his RFM at my house for the winter and asked me to install his LEDs for him. It lost a lot of lighting effects for sure. Looks good otherwise.

I know it's a small platform, but if you do get to this one day, Herg, my buddy would easily buy one.

#234 8 years ago

One thing I learned from designing the one for Capcom is that doing it without having access to a game is a total pain in the butt. You have to have someone on the other end that is totally dedicated to making it happen, and even then, it will take WAY longer. I have too many projects going right now as it is, but once they settle down, I will look into it a bit.

#235 8 years ago

Cool deal.

In the meantime, will someone loan this guy an RFM please?

#236 8 years ago

I'm about to order the Pinballbulbs led kit for my AFM. Do you guys think I would need the LED OCD for that kit? How about the GI OCD?

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I know it's a small platform, but if you do get to this one day, Herg, my buddy would easily buy one.

Well that makes 3 of us.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Cool deal.
In the meantime, will someone loan this guy an RFM please?

If I were a lot closer I would for sure.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I'm about to order the Pinballbulbs led kit for my AFM. Do you guys think I would need the LED OCD for that kit? How about the GI OCD?

Yup you'll need it no matter what led you buy kit or not. I don't think a GI OCD is needed.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Well, call me the worst salesman ever, but "need" is a strong word. The PBB kit will work, but depending on how particular you are about how it looks, you may "want" an LED OCD to go with the kit. It will look better with LED OCD, but I don't want anyone buying on false pretenses like thinking the PBB kit won't work without it.

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Well, call me the worst salesman ever, but "need" is a strong word. The PBL kit will work, but depending on how particular you are about how it looks, you may "want" an LED OCD to go with the kit. It will look better with LED OCD, but I don't want anyone buying on false pretenses like thinking the PBL kit won't work without it.

Well you got us there Herg but for us perfectionists we NEED it.

#242 8 years ago

I played an LED'd Tron the other night at someone's house. Oh man, forgot how awful the inserts look, so used to my butter smooth LED OCD ones. I could never go back! I need to make it a goal in 2016 to get more boards installed in my games.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

butter smooth

This should be the sales tagline for the LED OCD product line. Herg you need to trademark this quick!

2 months later
#244 8 years ago

Thanks @Herg for such a wonderful product.. Best mod ever! Extreamly easy to install and works right away without uploading settings. Noticed the great difference once power on!

#245 8 years ago

Does anyone have any recommend setting for fast blinking insert?

The "shoot again" insert will blink quickly during the last 3 seconds with the incandescent bulb and with the LED OCD installed the "shoot again" insert will stay lit for the last 3 seconds for led.

#246 8 years ago

For stuff that you want to blink fast, and the LED OCD defaults oversmooth the blinking, you have two options.

1. You can reduce the delay value. This will allow it to move from one brightness value to the next more quickly.

2. You can change the ramp shape by decreasing the low-mid brightness values (B2 and B3) and increasing the mid-high brightness values (B5 and B6). You can take a look at the Iron Man file in the software archive for an example of this.

#247 8 years ago

I installed the led ocd in my lotr and it looks so much better, less harsh and smoother transitions. I have all non ghosting leds. I tried playing around with the settings, but it was either too dim or too bright. Does anyone have settings for lotr they can share? Or is it that my non ghosters just won't be as effective?

Befote:

After

#248 8 years ago

Just taking someone else's settings probably won't get you where you want since it depends on your bulbs max brightness, your ambient lighting, personal preference, etc. If you can make it too dim or too bright, what is keeping you from picking something in between? If there's not a profile in the defaults that is exactly what you want, just modify one to make it what you want.

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I installed the led ocd in my lotr and it looks so much better, less harsh and smoother transitions. I have all non ghosting leds. I tried playing around with the settings, but it was either too dim or too bright. Does anyone have settings for lotr they can share? Or is it that my non ghosters just won't be as effective?

Personally I would not only try different settings but different bulbs... for example start with 1/2 regular LEDs in the fellowship inserts since they are all in line. I have yet to see *anyone* do a LOTR with LEDs that looks better than incandescents, but I'm confident with the right bulbs and OCD settings it can be done nicely.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I have yet to see *anyone* do a LOTR with LEDs that looks better than incandescents

Since this is an opinion, it's debatable, but I will add that when I owned LOTR, I kept incandescents in it. This was after trying a number of different LEDs in those white inserts. It did feel a bit dim, but none of the LEDs had the color I wanted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.