Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 571 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ironman (resized).png
FullSizeRender (resized).jpg
20171004_145845 (resized).jpg
IMG_6426 (resized).JPG
IMG_6425 (resized).JPG
jpLedOcd (resized).jpg
ledocd (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
3 (resized).png
2 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
IMG_1289 (resized).JPG
IMGA0795[1] (resized).JPG
IMGA0796[1] (resized).JPG
IMGA0797[1] (resized).JPG
20160701_061613_(resized).jpg

There are 571 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
#251 2 years ago

I'd never go back to leds on any of my games, personal choice, but i feel pinball is all about lights, bells and whistles and the more of them the better. If you turn it into a Christmas tree that's not good, but I've been pretty happy with color matched inserts and colored gi to set mood of the game.

I'll play around with the setting on lotr to see what I can come upnwith, right now everything is set on 7/85% and it looks so much better, but maybe I'll tone some down to 5 or 6.

Great product and very well constructed, even the packaging in the box shows these guys care.

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Or is it that my non ghosters just won't be as effective?

Yeah, one issue is that the non-ghosting circuitry prevents the bulbs from dimming smoothly. At a certain threshold it just shuts off (or flickers inconsistently) instead of dimming. That's why standard LEDs work a little better than non-ghosting bulbs with the LED OCD.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Since this is an opinion, it's debatable, but I will add that when I owned LOTR, I kept incandescents in it. This was after trying a number of different LEDs in those white inserts. It did feel a bit dim, but none of the LEDs had the color I wanted.

Herg, do you want my defult Shrek profile since it is not in your release?

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from oogiebooogie:

Herg, do you want my defult Shrek profile since it is not in your release?

Sure. Any of that kind of stuff can be sent to admin at ledocd.com. Data files (csv) for games that don't have them are always helpful. Custom settings (xml), please try to let me know what the changes affect. For example, Spider-Man (More blinky during multiball).

Thanks

1 week later
#255 2 years ago

I have a GI Led OCD in my scared stiff and I've blown the 10amp slo blow fuse on the board twice. The machine is all comet LED's and I have the output set to 60%. Everything works great except for the fuse blowing. It hasn't happened when playing the machine. I turn it on and notice there are no GI lights lit, even though they were lit when I turned it off. Any ideas?

thanks.

tony

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I have a GI Led OCD in my scared stiff and I've blown the 10amp slo blow fuse on the board twice. The machine is all comet LED's and I have the output set to 60%. Everything works great except for the fuse blowing. It hasn't happened when playing the machine. I turn it on and notice there are no GI lights lit, even though they were lit when I turned it off. Any ideas?
thanks.
tony

Do you have incandescents in the coin door or backbox or anywhere else?

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I have a GI Led OCD in my scared stiff and I've blown the 10amp slo blow fuse on the board twice.

I would first make sure there is not a big load of some sort on the GI. Like pezpunk suggested, incandescents could put a big load on it, though a few of them are fine. You just don't want to have anything in the range of ~10.

LED strips hanging off the GI can also be a problem.

As for why it would only blow when powering on, there is a capacitor bank that has to charge when the game is turned on, and the inrush current along with additional load on the GI strings could cause this.

One other problem I have run into is LED bulbs that can short internally. I had one that the resistors inside were bent funny, and they could short together with vibration. I blew three fuses and a transistor on my Metallica GI Theater trying to troubleshoot that one.

#258 2 years ago

I'll check the coin door...might not be LEDs in there. Everything else is led though. There are a couple of minor led mods, but nothing significant. It has only blown twice in about 45 days, and there is no pattern to it. I'll check for any stray non leds.

thanks

#259 2 years ago

What is the difference in a GI OCD and LED OCD? I may be putting LEDs in a BSD. Which one would I need? Both? Are there certain LED bulbs that work better with OCD?

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What is the difference in a GI OCD and LED OCD? I may be putting LEDs in a BSD. Which one would I need? Both? Are there certain LED bulbs that work better with OCD?

GI - for General Illumination.
LedOCD - controlled lamp inserts.

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

GI - for General Illumination.
LedOCD - controlled lamp inserts.

So I would need both?

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

So I would need both?

You never said where you were putting the bulbs, so.. I don't know.

When I redid my TZ, I put effort into making it look original from-factory. So it was imperative that I got both of these boards to make it look like incandescent.

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You never said where you were putting the bulbs, so.. I don't know.
When I redid my TZ, I put effort into making it look original from-factory. So it was imperative that I got both of these boards to make it look like incandescent.

I'm a big fan of all LEDs for the reduced stress on the game. There has been discussion of the real world value of it but it's for my peace of mind. So I'll more than likely put LEDs everywhere and I didn't know if I needed both boards and if there were certain types of LEDs that work better. I also wondered if adding LEDs like spots or lighted flipper buttons would cause a problem. When I was skimming through this thread, I thought I saw some people had blown fuses because of too many add-ons.

This will be my first DMD and newest game and I may have misunderstood but thought I had read that some people were able to get by without adding boards. I don't really understand the term ghosting but have noticed the flicker in the vids on the LED OCD site. I probably won't mess with the bulbs right away. I'd like to play the game for awhile and make sure I like it well enough but I was just trying to get a little more knowledge about this.

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm a big fan of all LEDs for the reduced stress on the game. There has been discussion of the real world value of it but it's for my peace of mind. So I'll more than likely put LEDs everywhere and I didn't know if I needed both boards and if there were certain types of LEDs that work better. I also wondered if adding LEDs like spots or lighted flipper buttons would cause a problem. When I was skimming through this thread, I thought I saw some people had blown fuses because of too many add-ons.
This will be my first DMD and newest game and I may have misunderstood but thought I had read that some people were able to get by without adding boards. I don't really understand the term ghosting but have noticed the flicker in the vids on the LED OCD site. I probably won't mess with the bulbs right away. I'd like to play the game for awhile and make sure I like it well enough but I was just trying to get a little more knowledge about this.

Neither of the boards are *required*. They're just for personal preference.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Neither of the boards are *required*. They're just for personal preference.

I appreciate the help.

1 month later
#266 2 years ago

Just installed an LED OCD in my Tommy machine and absolutely love it. Multi-ball no longer makes my eyes burn when the lights are dim! Insert LEDs with the LED OCD and incandescent GI lighting are the perfect combination for me. I shot some comparison video clips that I will probably upload to YouTube soon. I'm so glad I decided to pull the trigger on this board - thanks again to herg for making such a killer product.

#267 2 years ago

Here's a 1080p 60fps video showing my Tommy machine with and without LED OCD. It's not quite as dramatic of a change as some games, but certainly much easier on the eyes. Now I can play in low lighting without it being too harsh. I'm using Comet Pinball 1 SMD bulbs with a few 2 SMDs thrown in. The mix of incandescent GI lighting and LED OCD-smoothed inserts is exactly what I've been looking for - this board is worth every penny and then some! I'll admit that I now spend half my time being mesmerized by the attract sequences. Thanks again, herg!

#268 2 years ago

Are all of you guys modifying the settings for GI or is anyone using the board with the default settings? I just popped the GI board in ToTAN and it looks pretty darn good with default settings.

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Are all of you guys modifying the settings for GI or is anyone using the board with the default settings? I just popped the GI board in ToTAN and it looks pretty darn good with default settings.

I left it in default for Avatar LE, T3 and NASCAR and they are perfect.

#270 2 years ago

For TOTAN, there are a few changes that I think help it a bit. Mainly, increasing the fade delay max. When I get the time, I'll post what I used on it.

#271 2 years ago

It is so addictive to get OCD on LEDs, the need of getting the perfect glow on them. Just have to get another board for TSPP, it was beautiful. Thank @Herg!

#273 2 years ago

Here are the settings I used for TOTAN.

1-GI_OCD_4252016_115128_AM_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#274 2 years ago

I'm about to put my first LED OCD board into my LOTR after finishing LED'ing it up properly in the next few days. Would anyone with a Stern title that has a SAM board system like LOTR kindly mind taking a picture of how they have mounted the board into the game? Unless someone else in the thread has done this already? Had a look and can only see mounting pictures for older machines.

Thanks!

#275 2 years ago

LOTR is Whitestar, unless you're talking about an LE, which is a Whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver.

This link is the Whitestar installation page on my website, and I'm installing in my former LOTR.

http://ledocd.com/install_whitestar_r3.html

#276 2 years ago

Are there any updates in software that aren't just profile additions? Haven't had to use this for a while on my RBION, wonder if there's any point in updating.

#277 2 years ago

herg, I recently noticed the FLIGHT INSURANCE insert on my F-14 ghosting on me. I'm using Comet 1 SMD LEDs. I can see it flickering while playing. It is very faint but definitely there. I don't recall it doing this before.

Every other LED seems to be functioning properly. This one seems to be the misfit. I don't know if it's been this way since the install or not. I only noticed it recently. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

herg, I recently noticed the FLIGHT INSURANCE insert on my F-14 ghosting on me. I'm using Comet 1 SMD LEDs. I can see it flickering while playing. It is very faint but definitely there. I don't recall it doing this before.
Every other LED seems to be functioning properly. This one seems to be the misfit. I don't know if it's been this way since the install or not. I only noticed it recently. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

That insert isn't a flasher, is it? If it is, there's nothing you can do. LED OCD doesn't affect flashers. Best bet is to switch to incandescent flashers.

If it's not a flasher, then load up the software and create some custom settings for that insert -- make the lower end of the ramp up a little lower, and/or or increase the length of the duration of the fade.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

LOTR is Whitestar, unless you're talking about an LE, which is a Whitestar CPU with a SAM power driver.
This link is the Whitestar installation page on my website, and I'm installing in my former LOTR.
http://ledocd.com/install_whitestar_r3.html

Thanks, I wasn't thinking last night - of course I meant Whitestar! Many thanks for the link.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Are there any updates in software that aren't just profile additions? Haven't had to use this for a while on my RBION, wonder if there's any point in updating.

No, other than additional game data, profiles, etc., the PC software does not affect the performance of the board. The firmware on the board is not able to be updated short of replacing the chip (or using the ICSP header on some boards).

Quoted from Fifty:

FLIGHT INSURANCE is on the lamp matrix, column 2, row 8, so it can be controlled by LED OCD. If you have found that it IS the lamp itself ghosting and not light leakage from another light source, here's some things to try.

1. Try to notice if it does it at the same time as some other action; a coil firing, a flasher, another lamps validly lighting.
2. Using the PC software, set the flight insurance lamp to a different profile, then set that profile to all zeros. At this point, the flight insurance lamp should stay off all the time. If not, you are either getting "true ghosting", or possibly crosstalk on the wires under the playfield.
3. Try going into manual mode in the PC software. This will turn off all the lamp matrix outputs, and it will eliminate the possibility of "true ghosting" because the adjacent lamps are not lighting.

If you can try those things and let me know the results, it would greatly narrow the possibilities.

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

That insert isn't a flasher, is it?

Nah, it's a bulb. Even if it was a flasher I left all those incandescent.

Quoted from herg:

FLIGHT INSURANCE is on the lamp matrix, column 2, row 8, so it can be controlled by LED OCD. If you have found that it IS the lamp itself ghosting and not light leakage from another light source, here's some things to try.
1. Try to notice if it does it at the same time as some other action; a coil firing, a flasher, another lamps validly lighting.
2. Using the PC software, set the flight insurance lamp to a different profile, then set that profile to all zeros. At this point, the flight insurance lamp should stay off all the time. If not, you are either getting "true ghosting", or possibly crosstalk on the wires under the playfield.
3. Try going into manual mode in the PC software. This will turn off all the lamp matrix outputs, and it will eliminate the possibility of "true ghosting" because the adjacent lamps are not lighting.
If you can try those things and let me know the results, it would greatly narrow the possibilities.

Thanks for this. I wasn't sure where to start. I will try your 1. 2. 3. and report back.

#282 2 years ago

Anyone here have recommended profile settings for a TOM?

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Anyone here have recommended profile settings for a TOM?

Bumping this!

#284 2 years ago

Somewhere on here is settings for TOM. If you havent found them let me know. I will try to pull mine up. They are set to what I found on here for TOM a while back.
Magicchiz

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Somewhere on here is settings for TOM. If you havent found them let me know. I will try to pull mine up. They are set to what I found on here for TOM a while back.
Magicchiz

No luck - I have looked and struck out. I would love to know what settings you have!

1 week later
#286 2 years ago

Just fitted a Led Ocd board to my beautiful new Spiderman Vault.
The change is remarkable, it looks like what I wanted it to look like when I first turned it on.
No more harsh on/off jerky looking lighting.It is now smooth and stable, nice fades instead of switching.

Very impressed a great product!

1 month later
#287 2 years ago

A while back, in another thread, bstyles was talking about a bracket to allow the WPC breakout board to be installed without having to make screw holes in your cabinet. Here's a link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-im-sold/page/3#post-2903808

Since then, I bought a 3D printer, and I've designed a bracket for the new System 11 board design. I've spoken to bstyles, and he assures me I'm not stepping on his toes by sharing this. I'm planning to share the STL file for others to print their own. For those without printers, I'm still trying to decide on a solution. I could print a few, but I don't want to be printing them all the time.

Anyway, here's a picture of how it installed in my Whirlwind. I still need to tweak the hole sizes, and then I'll post the files on my website. Unfortunately, due to the nature of 3D printing, the hole sizes might need to be adjusted further for printers other than my own.

LED OCD Mini in Whirlwind using 3D Printed Bracket

#288 2 years ago

How about one for the GI OCD? I actually bought one of bstyle's brackets for the LED OCD and it's been great!

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

How about one for the GI OCD? I actually bought one of bstyle's brackets for the LED OCD and it's been great!

I could look at that next, but one thing at a time. Also, I'm not sure what backbox feature I'd hook the bracket to.

#290 2 years ago

I installed an LCD OCD in my WPT and still getting ghosting on at least a half dozen inserts with Comet 2smd LEDs. Tried turning the settings down on these and still hasn't eliminated the issue. Any tips or pointers on what to do to solve this? I tried using different LEDs in these inserts and still have the issue. Thanks!

Here's a link to my game with the board installed

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I installed an LCD OCD in my WPT and still getting ghosting on at least a half dozen inserts with Comet 2smd LEDs. Tried turning the settings down on these and still hasn't eliminated the issue. Any tips or pointers on what to do to solve this? I tried using different LEDs in these inserts and still have the issue. Thanks!
Here's a link to my game with the board installed
» YouTube video

Usually, this is caused by an issue with the game's lamp matrix; a bad diode, a short, an incorrectly installed mod, etc. The first step is always to go though each lamp in lamp test and note exactly which lamps ghost and which lamp(s) are lit when they are ghosting. For example, lamp 21 ghosts when lamp 11 is lit. The full picture of what is going on usually shows a pattern that will lead you to the problem.

Feel free to send me an email to troubleshoot.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Usually, this is caused by an issue with the game's lamp matrix; a bad diode, a short, an incorrectly installed mod, etc. The first step is always to go though each lamp in lamp test and note exactly which lamps ghost and which lamp(s) are lit when they are ghosting. For example, lamp 21 ghosts when lamp 11 is lit. The full picture of what is going on usually shows a pattern that will lead you to the problem.

Thanks Herg! That gives me some ideas of what to look for. I just got the game and it was on route so it wouldn't surprise me if it had a switch matrix or diode issue.

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

How about one for the GI OCD?

Quoted from herg:

I could look at that next, but one thing at a time.

So much for "one thing at a time". To be fair, I think the Sys 11 Mini bracket is done, short of receiving the nylon screws to mount it. Everything fits with metal screws, so I'm pretty sure it's done. Anyway, here's one for GI in my TZ. I haven't opened my WPC95 games, but I'm sure they'll need different mounting points.

GI OCD in Twilight Zone using 3D Printed Bracket

#294 2 years ago

Installed LED OCD in my LOTR about 2 weeks ago. Literally the best mod around, it's essentially in my opinion if you're going to add LEDs to a game like LOTR.

Used Cointaker ghosting premiums with default settings and couldn't be happier.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'll post the files on my website.

Here's the instructions and STL file for the Sys11 Mini bracket. The GI OCD bracket(s) will be a few more days.

http://ledocd.com/install_mini_bracket.html

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Herg, you were right on the money! Problem was a bad diode on one of the lamp sockets for the blue lane lights under the upper playfield. I did notice that this light was acting kind of wonky. The issue is now resolved and the LEDOCD board is working wonderfully for WPT's fades and attract mode! Thanks again for the help!

#297 2 years ago

The GI OCD bracket for WPC89 games (and any others with a hinged light panel like Scared Stiff) is on my website now:

http://ledocd.com/install_wpc89_gi_bracket.html

I still need to open my AFM to look at mounting options in a WPC95 game. From what I remember, there's not much available to hook to. A flat back on the bracket and a big piece of double-sided tape is an option, but I hate using adhesive to attach them.

#298 2 years ago

Herg, I will purchase one of these real soon for my Avatar pro. I am under the impression that the LED OCD will control ghosting of the lamps so I just purchased standard 2 SMD lamps for my inserts. I will install them either today or tomorrow but just curious if the default setting for these boards are sufficient or is the actual board loaded with custom settings for each game, in this case Avatar. Thanks.

#299 2 years ago

The default settings work for any game. There is nothing game specific that gets saved on the board.

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Herg, I will purchase one of these real soon for my Avatar pro. I am under the impression that the LED OCD will control ghosting of the lamps so I just purchased standard 2 SMD lamps for my inserts. I will install them either today or tomorrow but just curious if the default setting for these boards are sufficient or is the actual board loaded with custom settings for each game, in this case Avatar. Thanks.

Buy with confidence, I have it on my LE with the stock setting and my inserts are perfect, I'm using the same bulbs as you too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
€ 3.70
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Whitehouse, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
£ 12.00
$ 11.95
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 34.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 571 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside