(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg
There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Here's the instructions and STL file for the Sys11 Mini bracket. The GI OCD bracket(s) will be a few more days.
http://ledocd.com/install_mini_bracket.html

Nice! Any chance you'll print and sell these? I don't have a 3D printer.

#302 7 years ago

I don't want to be printing a bunch of them, but I have added them as an option when purchasing boards. If you have already purchased, but would like a bracket to go with it, just send me an email via the website or a PM.

I don't know how widespread it is, but the libraries around here have printers, and they will print stuff for the cost of the filament. That's way cheaper than I'd be able to make them for.

#303 7 years ago

So new LED OCD boards purchased will come with the mini bracket?

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So new LED OCD boards purchased will come with the mini bracket?

They will be an option for additional cost. I have only designed brackets for the LED OCD Sys11 Mini and GI OCD WPC89 so far, but those ones are available as options on the website now.

#305 7 years ago

A bracket for GI OCD in a WPC95 game is up now:
http://ledocd.com/install_wpc95_gi_bracket.html

3 weeks later
#306 7 years ago

Just installed an led board in my IJ and blew a fuse while in attract mode.

What fuse amperage is supposed to be on this board? A 1 amp?

I only had a 2.5 amp fuse on hand so I tried that and I'm back up.

The game is 100% leds with the exception of two inserts.

#307 7 years ago

I ship them with 1A fast blow installed, which is very conservative. It can be increased if needed.

I shipped them that way since it's protects the board better in the case of a short, and I wasn't sure about what the new design could handle until I had more time with it.

#308 7 years ago

Got it. Should 2.5 be safe? Thanks for the quick reply.

#309 7 years ago

I would suggest using the lowest value you can, at least until I can do more testing. With that said, a 2.5A is probably safe as long as you don't short to 50V. In that case, however, it might not matter how low the fuse value is. You might still damage it.

#310 7 years ago

I installed the board on my BOP and out of the box setting doesn't work very well. Some inserts stay lit all the time and some inserts flicker fading in and out while some work perfect. I've tried different brand and styles of bulbs, good ones and cheep ones, no difference. I wonder if I have a wiring problem.

#311 7 years ago

Paul,

That doesn't sound like settings or bulbs will fix it. It sounds like it isn't properly synchronizing to your driver board. Is it running Bop 2.0? I also wonder if your driver board is stock or an aftermarket. Maybe you got a bad set of cables. Send me an email, and we'll get it worked out.

#312 7 years ago

Thanks Herg. No 2.0, stock driver board.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Email sent.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Works great in my BOP. Not bragging, just saying I'm a confirmed instance of the LED OCD board working in a BOP if that helps.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Works great in my BOP. Not bragging, just saying I'm a confirmed instance of the LED OCD board working in a BOP if that helps.

I know your not, that's good to know yours is working. Thanks.

#316 7 years ago

I'll need some time to look into it herg. Thanks.

#317 7 years ago

Has anyone added an LED OCD to TWD Premium or LE ?

I'm looking at getting an IMVE, which i believe can support an LEDOCD, by removing the smaller boards on J12 & J13, thus restoring the nicer fade effects which Stern bypassed using the VE's LEDs. I'm also keen on TWD, and believe this would also work on the TWD Pro, BUT i prefer the TWD Premium overall, thus my question. Pics of a TWD Prem backbox, J12 & J13 would be enough!

I hate how you can see the game trying to do fades on the red triangular arrow inserts, but it stutters and blinks between ON>OFF>ON. Stern really need better hardware control over their insert effects now they've moved to LEDs.

Yours,
an LED OCD fan across the pond...
Paul.

#318 7 years ago

It will work on IMVE. Just remove the small resistor terminator board first, as you mention.

TWD Prem/LE is a no-go. It uses the newer sytle serial lighting rather than a lamp matrix.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

TWD Prem/LE is a no-go. It uses the newer sytle serial lighting rather than a lamp matrix.

does that mean the Premium has all the fading effects masked for simple LED implementation too? Or does the serial lighting support it?

I know ST Prem can do fading, although they've chosen not too in some cases.

#320 7 years ago

It's totally different than what they did for IMVE. For serial LED games, they have different effects entirely since their control is completely different. The serial LED games all support the same fading, but in the early ones, they did not do such a great job of driving them, and there is more flicker in those games than later ones.

It's theoretically possibly to capture and redrive the signal, but it would be a completely different approach than the current LED OCD for lamp matrices.

#321 7 years ago

Whoah, I just installed an LED OCD in my IMVE and I wasn't thrilled with the results. But I ALSO did not remove anything. Is there any documentation or tutorial about how to do this? Thanks!

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Is there any documentation or tutorial about how to do this?

Yes. See the note at the bottom of step 6.

http://ledocd.com/install_sam_r3.html

When you say "wasn't thrilled", what kind of problems are you seeing?

#323 7 years ago

Hah I'm an idiot, I just went and re-read the directions. Looks simple to me. Thanks Herg. No problems, the fading absolutely works and looks great... but some of the arrow inserts by the bogey ramps just look kind of weak when they pulse, like not very bright. I imagine removing the anti-ghosting board will help with that.

I did not notice you have mentioned in the past a software archive with some IM tweaks, would you mind PM'ing a link to that? I have this in almost all my games and have left them all at default. Would love to play with some fine-tuned setups.

Oh one last thing, I reached out to you about my WH20 blowing fuses due to a few stray incandescents... your suggestion of stepping up to a 2amp FB totally fixed it! Cheers for the awesome support.

#324 7 years ago

Ok, so hopefully my last assumption & question (for today):

On IMVE; i'd need to have an LEDOCD board, remove the J12 & J13 mini-boards, and enable the OLD option in the "adjustment that lets you pick the new light shows or the old" (taken from the Stern IMVE v1.83 release notes). This then drives the lamps for incandescent lighting effects to support the original IM.

Whereas in TWD Pro, i cannot see any similar option from the release notes, presumably because this is the only version. Therefore the LEDOCD 'could' reveal some good lighting effects hidden in there, as it could've been coded for incandescents, but then again it could 'just' smooth out (and slightly dim) those harsh flashing LEDs.

Thanks.

#325 7 years ago

I did not notice you have mentioned in the past a software archive with some IM tweaks, would you mind PM'ing a link to that?

The IM settings I use on my game are in the archive at http://ledocd.com/software/led_ocd_v1.9.0.zip. Just use import and browse to the "settings" folder.

Oh one last thing, I reached out to you about my WH20 blowing fuses due to a few stray incandescents... your suggestion of stepping up to a 2amp FB totally fixed it!

Glad to hear it. I am going to do some more testing with incandescent and the new design, then most likely increase the value of the fuse that it ships with.

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

On IMVE; i'd need to have an LEDOCD board, remove the J12 & J13 mini-boards, and enable the OLD option in the "adjustment that lets you pick the new light shows or the old" (taken from the Stern IMVE v1.83 release notes). This then drives the lamps for incandescent lighting effects to support the original IM.

Correct.

Whereas in TWD Pro, i cannot see any similar option from the release notes, presumably because this is the only version. Therefore the LEDOCD 'could' reveal some good lighting effects hidden in there, as it could've been coded for incandescents, but then again it could 'just' smooth out (and slightly dim) those harsh flashing LEDs.

From what I understand, the only version in TWD Pro would be a dumbed down version that plays nicely with LEDs. This would be analogous to the new IMVE lighting. I would assume the latter, just smoothing and slightly dimming.

#326 7 years ago

Joining the club. Anyone care to share their settings for an F-14 Tomcat?

Thanks!

#327 7 years ago

Has anyone gotten the software to run on Windows 10? When I launch the exe it want me to download files for .NET 3.5. .NET 4.5 is already part of the OS WIN10.

#328 7 years ago

Yes, I have ran it on Windows 10. .NET 4.5 and 3.5 are independent versions, and the LED OCD software is compiled to use 3.5. Allow it to install, and it should work fine.

#329 7 years ago

Just installed LEDOCD in Jack*bot. Wow!! Looks great, what a fantastic product! Using Out of box settings (OOBS) and its night and day difference!

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, I have ran it on Windows 10. .NET 4.5 and 3.5 are independent versions, and the LED OCD software is compiled to use 3.5. Allow it to install, and it should work fine.

Yeah, windows isn't happy about installing .NET 3.5. I think I need to have the OS source file available.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Yeah, windows isn't happy about installing .NET 3.5. I think I need to have the OS source file available.

I'm pretty sure that when I did it, it automatically downloaded and installed it. You could try manually downloading it:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

#332 7 years ago

OOBS for me too on f-14 tomcat look great. Night and day difference. I don't think the youtube videos do this product justice.

3 weeks later
#333 7 years ago

LED OCD installed in IMVE.

AWESOME is restored.

#334 7 years ago

Is there such a thing as LED FLASHER OCD ??

If not, there should be.

#335 7 years ago

If not, there should be.

i am a huge fan of LEDs, but i keep my flashers incandescent. LED flashers are just way too harsh, unless they are hidden from direct view.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i am a huge fan of LEDs, but i keep my flashers incandescent. LED flashers are just way too harsh, unless they are hidden from direct view.

All the more reason for such a product.

#337 7 years ago

Sorry, but no, there's not. I don't think it would be practical to build and be able to install. I would actually like to see a flasher bulb with smoothing built in.

#338 7 years ago

Does the gizmo led ocd works with lotr? Has somebody experience with it?

#339 7 years ago

Someone may have used it and could speak from first hand experience, but I can say based on the design that it will work fine with LOTR.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Have you tried putting the flat top flashers in? I think they work better then the tower type, they project all the light upward and light the domes really nice.

#341 7 years ago

Don't suppose there's any more documented logic behind the GIzmo settings for Stern GI?

The website says:

----

(http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19)

Fade Time Adjustment
You have the option of removing one or both of the jumpers to make your GI fade on and off more quickly. The speed at which they fade is dependent on how many LEDs are in your game and what type they are.

----

So, LED type aside, does that mean if i take both jumpers out = ON/OFF fade is faster?

Both jumpers plugged in = ON/OFF fade slower?

4 settings in total? i.e.

11 = Slow fade (both jumpers present)
10 = Slower fade
01 = Faster fade
00 = Fast fade (no jumpers present)

The 3 games I have fitted with these have 100% LEDs in the GI.

Much appreciated.

#342 7 years ago

Don't suppose there's any more documented logic behind the GIzmo settings for Stern GI?

The GIzmo is completely passive. It's just a bridge and some capacitors to convert to DC and slowly discharge. Removing either of the jumpers disconnects one of the capacitors so that the others discharge faster, causing the LEDs to fade off more quickly.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The GIzmo is completely passive. It's just a bridge and some capacitors to convert to DC and slowly discharge. Removing either of the jumpers disconnects one of the capacitors so that the others discharge faster, causing the LEDs to fade off more quickly.

Thanks.

#344 7 years ago

Just looking at the thread title.. Here's a tip; Buy one. Here's a trick; Buy it from Comet Pinball. Here's a thought; Is one enough? Here's some advice; Do it now.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Buy it from Comet Pinball

There are multiple places you can get them now.

Direct from LED OCD - Lowest price, and I get the biggest cut, if you care about that. I can't ship internationally, though.
Comet Pinball - Great choice, and you can buy your LEDs at the same time.
PSPA - Australian source.
Pinballshop.nl - Netherlands source with a wide selection of our kits.

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

There are multiple places you can get them now.
Direct from LED OCD - Lowest price, and I get the biggest cut, if you care about that. I can't ship internationally, though.
Comet Pinball - Great choice, and you can buy your LEDs at the same time.
PSPA - Australian source.
Pinballshop.nl - Netherlands source with a wide selection of our kits.

I have always bought direct. Shipping is super fast and I do believe it is important to give the creator of a great mod the biggest cut - only fair.

This is an amazing addition to any machine - people are blown away when they see the result in person.

Thanks Herg!

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

I have always bought direct. Shipping is super fast and I do believe it is important to give the creator of a great mod the biggest cut - only fair.
This is an amazing addition to any machine - people are blown away when they see the result in person.
Thanks Herg!

Yup, I bought mine direct also.

2 weeks later
#348 7 years ago

Quick question for the LED OCD brains... I was going to order a T2 LED kit from Cointaker. The kit contains Premium Super Non-Ghosting LEDs, will they be compatible with an LED OCD?

Cheers!

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Quick question for the LED OCD brains... I was going to order a T2 LED kit from Cointaker. The kit contains Premium Super Non-Ghosting LEDs, will they be compatible with an LED OCD?
Cheers!

edit - I read that normal LEDs were better in some way. Just checking these will also be ok.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Cheers!

compatible, yes. they'll work fine.

bulbs without non-ghosting circuitry look slightly better, though. with non-ghosting bulbs, you will lose a bit of the "fade" and the ability to control the bulb's brightness below a certain threshold.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

17,250 (OBO)
$ 39.50
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

There are 754 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.