Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,634 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 minutes ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b302c800109bbb31265fc1394a1859ee (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_5521 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 4.51.56 PM (resized).png
    main-qimg-0d72a7a361a3a9943b69a29c9c4ca561-pjlq (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#479 5 years ago

When;..
    You still mow with a 1965 Simplicity Landlord. When that is down you use the 66 Allis Chalmers B-110.
    Still drive a 1970 Chevy C-10 daily
    Go out on the lake in a 1955 Barbour mahogany boat
    Have a large Kenmore fan in your living room
    Your guests sleep on a rope Cannonball bed and you know how to string it with a bed key
    Your newest fishing rod is from 1962.
    You learned to swing nunchaku and still do
    Still learning new recording techniques with stand-alone CD recorders, 4 track Porta-Studio and treasure Professional Cassette tapes.
    You have at least one working Tube radio that you use.
    All of your cookware is cast iron, all of your furniture is solid wood, and all of it is old

#533 5 years ago

You can whistle the Theme Song to;
    Astro Boy, Taste that beats the others cold Pepsi commercial, Hawaii 5 O,Rheingold Beer,and Things go better with Coke.
    All the under 30 kids I meet can't whistle, and a few in their 20's were outright amazed, requesting songs.
    You remember Country Club malt liquor. And Pearl from Texas, along with Billy Beer, Drummond Brothers, Fischer from Alsace, Strohs fire brewed and Coors with the weird push in gas release tab on top. OK, Fischer may be a reach but it was the only beer produced in a famous wine region in France and we bought it to impress girls.
    You insist your vehicle has an AM/FM CD player. Still insist on having CD/DVD burners for all your computers.

1 month later
    #664 5 years ago

When you seek out the rattiest playable EM in a joint and its fun. Too bad there are too few "Joints" around.
    When you order colored incandescents to make a game "The way it really was in 1970" (pick your date).
    You switch from a cell phone to a cordless to a landline during a long call (minutes run out on the cell, batteries run out on the cordless).

#706 5 years ago

World War 2 was a recent event, Vietnam modern. We grew up with the fact Dad had fought which instilled a strong connection.
    You know relatives that died during the Spanish Flu epidemic. I still share stories from my Grandmas' knee about how profoundly tragic this was to their small Community.
    You wish Western Auto was still around, and miss Products like Monkey Grip, Western Flyer, Pene-Lube and Clinton small engines.

1 year later
    #1320 4 years ago

Mark Harmon plays Leroy Jethro Gibbs in NCIS.
    Gibbs TV has 2 channels, both play Westerns.
    Still uses a flip phone.
    Knows how to use a mimeograph machine to print mugshots when the power is out.
    Hates computers and uses his gun to shoot computers to stop terrorist attacks.
    Leaves his front door unlocked all the time.
    Drinks whiskey from an old fruit jar.
    Cooks in the fireplace of his living room.
    Hands out working Polaroid cameras to the Team when the system goes down.
    Carries a switchblade knife. Uses a 60's issue sniper rifle.

Great role model for Man of the Era (and beyond).

#1355 4 years ago

We always loved "Divorce Court" growing up, wonder if it was real?

#1385 4 years ago

Christmas ornaments had yellowed, dried fake snow specs from 1966.
    You re-wrapped presents and put them back under the tree after opening them at 230.
    You know at least one person who had their tree thrown outside on Christmas Eve by their Husband/Wife.
    You patched a VW muffler with a beer can and clamps. You participated in "Lift the front end of a Beetle with the old style front bumper Contest"
    You know what "Deez and Doze are" You Clam, or never could do it but knows a friend who Clams.

5 months later
    #1648 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You are old if you remember singing along with this opus when the D.J.s put it up for a spin.

You will feel your years if you tell someone you used to really like Motown sounds and the reply you hear is "Mo what"?

"Surfin Bird" was a really rare record where I grew up in Greensboro. My Brother borrowed a copy from a DJ friend and had a copy cut through a Service at the radio station (WBIG), the record was really thick and had no b-side.
    Bet its been a long time since anyone had a record cut. Never heard the B-side either.

3 weeks later
    #1781 3 years ago

Had the croup so I rubbed on some Musterol
    Couldn't go so took some Black Draught and Cola Syrup
    Went too much so hit up some Paregoric and lemon
    Brushed with Tooth Powder and gargled with hydrogen peroxide.
    Slapped on some Burly aftershave after a close shave with the Injector.
    Finished up with Lilac Vegetal
    Put on my new Double Knit suit with Argyle socks and Nettleton tassel loafers.
    Chicks will love the Highwaters ! Ready to go.

2 months later
    #2056 3 years ago

Buenos Dias. Juan Valdez was a spooky character, we always wished they would make a movie with him starring.
    Still drink 100% Columbian coffee because of him.

#2063 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"El Exigente".... the demanding one! And, it's Colombian, with two Os.

Thanks JR! Been misspelling it for years.
    Yeah it was the Yuban/ Valdez commercials we looked for, along with the malt liquor I can't remember right now (The guy setting in a pool on a floating lounge chair and they played the cool music and a barmaid swam out with two bottles on a tray?) Rheingold?

1 month later
    #2318 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

She's still beautiful!

They converted a skate rink into a high class bar in the early 80's and it opened the first week liqour by the drink became legal in NC. Barbara Eden was the first performer, it was a wild night. They were stacking whiskey in front of the bar and shoveling ice out of coolers while Barbara danced on top of tables. Not a half bad singer.

3 weeks later
    #2512 3 years ago

You still think green onion Fandangos were better than Doritos and wait for them to return to the Market.

#2534 3 years ago

You remember when Nixon took Jackie Gleason to see real alien bodies and wreckage at an Air Force base in Florida.

#2538 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Never heard of that before. Off to Google I go.
    He Ha Ha Sourced from the National Enquirer.

His Wife actually first revealed it in an Esquire interview, which she claimed was quickly disappeared. Then the Enquirer picked it up.
    You know Jackie Gleason had a house built in the shape of a flying saucer? Outdoor shed too.

2 weeks later
    #2609 3 years ago

You remember drinking Luzianne Coffee with chickory some old Marine gave you while exclaiming "Thats REAL Coffee!"
    Also old men put salt in their beer. Never tried that.

#2614 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Probably so they wouldnt piss as much

This Crowd considered beer the same as bread.

#2615 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Grip the base of your thumb to the base of your index finger. Put some salt in the crease. Dip the tip of your tongue to the salt and then take a sip of beer. Its tasty. It will jack with your dally sodium allowance.

No, thats not the way its done.

#2650 3 years ago

You miss Mark Trail

#2658 3 years ago

You placed foil "Ice cycles" on your model railroad tracks and turned up the voltage.
    Everyone thought foil Christmas trees with a colored projector were "Cool, futuristic".
    Your Dad sprayed fake snow all over the Christmas tree, which clung to the bulbs, furniture and walls.
    You remember a popular tradition among heavy drinkers in the South called "Tear down the Christmas tree and throw it outside".

#2693 3 years ago

You gave and received chocolate covered cherries for Christmas. My Daughter picked up on it so now I still get them, even though one is about all I can stand and they wind up rotting on a shelf.

#2696 3 years ago

I still dream about Jane Parker fruitcakes from A&P. Someone bought the rights to the name on these and clock coffee. Not the same,just the name remains.
    People know I like fruitcake and tell me about all these others that are supposed to be great, Grandmas (the real whiskey ones are good but not real fruitcake), Southern Supreme (expensive, too nutty, too much butter.)
    Claxton will do in a rush, need to get another one before they go away after Christmas.

#2698 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

all the actors from you favorite films die off

They come back to life everytime they are played.

#2706 3 years ago

Burger Chef was the best, period!

#2711 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Experienced another old feeling moment at the store the other day.
    After fixing up a pinball room in my garage I thought it would be nice to add a new radio so I could listen static free as I worked on games. I wandered around the electronics area and eventually found the radio section. There were about three options to choose from and only one of them even offered AM. Plenty of headphones and I was surrounded by all types of speakers (you know, the kind that are "smart" or the kind that have "blue teeth" ).
    I went to the counter and waited for the attendant to look up from his cell phone to ask if there were any other radio options available, preferably one able to pick up AM channels. His response was "Uhhh, AM? No, I don't think we have anything else like that." He looked at me like I was trying to buy a radio that picked up Alien signals for something.
    I'm well aware that most people use their phones for music and such anymore. I still use a flip phone and like listening to some of the talk radio/ballgames/etc. that is typically heard on AM.
    Looks like I will have to take my search to the internet to find what I'm looking for yet again.

I'm in the market for one of those AM/FM Shortwave World Radios, they used to be everywhere.

1 week later
    #2754 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Amazing, isn't it, that these phones were, at one time, all over the place, and you wouldn't even give them a second thought. But now when you see one, it's like this strange oddity out of the past that you now point out? I still recall using a 3-slot payphone in front of a fire house near where I went to elementary school, calling home.
    BTW, I have a 3-slot in my game room; it's fully functional (and my son knows how to use the dial to make a call!).

Its very difficult to make an anonymous phone call these days. Not sure if thats good or bad.

#2757 3 years ago

When you know whats going to happen, and why, and what will happen after that.
    Life becomes like a TVSeries, you see the patterns, the method acting and you can call the end every time.
    Surprises come rarely. This set of circumstances have come 3 times before, yeah, that went as I suspected it would.

1 week later
    #2790 3 years ago

Isn't that the waitress from Night Rider?

#2797 3 years ago

Down to the last case of Royal Yukon Club Cola but lost my church key.
    Wondered where the yaller went after brushing with pepsodent. Still don't trust the frito bandito, but the new Chiquita on the banana is hot. I'm hungry, yo quero taco bell!
    Only two guys named alice, cooper and chalmers.

#2805 3 years ago

Man, out of Lavoris again. Guess I'll have to use up that tooth powder, or baking soda and peroxide.

#2831 3 years ago

When you hope your SS check keeps coming in and clears.

#2867 3 years ago

Several Doctors used to recommend smoking. Maybe thats why I don't trust Doctors,especially people who play one on the internet.

#2901 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Salems I could take, but Alpines, Newports, and Kools grossed me out.

No shit. The worst.

#2906 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Phil: Instead of your time spent here with the unwashed, I wonder did you read the exploits of my friend filmaker/author Stephen Fenech like I had suggested? Prob not.

Sorry CP I honestly do not remember your recommendation. Reading his Bio the man has certainly lived a full life going to 180 Countries and he may get to go to Mars as well. If he is your friend he is worth researching, the short "Backpack" video has me interested.

#2914 3 years ago

Anybody remember when certain regular Citizens were invited to Executions? I swear I remember one of my Parents being invited to Central Prison to witness an execution, the debate went on for days.

1 week later
    #2937 3 years ago

You go to see co-workers you used to work with 4 years ago and they are still there.
    You talk about SS and they are glad to still have a job.
    They ask you what you have been doing. You know what they have been doing.
    You've been avoiding the vaccine and they are complaining the University hasn't offered it yet.
    Several of your co-workers retired since you left. Several have bad illnesses.
    Few got other full time positions. Many more trying. One guy got fired.
    You secretly look around and wish you could go back to work.
    They do, you leave.

1 month later
    #3075 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

We used to buy "Re-Refined" motor oil at 19 cents a quart from the local Site service station when I was a teenager back in the 60's. Worked fine in my '54 Ford.

It was cheaper pumped straight out. Had a 69 Malibu with a blown rear seal / couldn't keep oil in.

#3081 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Chevys of that era were notorious for that. 327, or 350?

307, the worst. I will say I drove it till it locked up (twice) and was able to refill with oil and get it running again with no ill effects.

3 months later
    #3344 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

You know you are old when... you start hearing the theme song from one of your favorite sitcoms in a TV commercial, but people a generation younger than you figure it's just a jingle they wrote for the advertisement.
    [quoted image]

Amazed it took them that long to use and abuse that tune. Must have been tied up in Copyright or something.

#3362 2 years ago

You don't mind waiting 2 Months for a large purchase, it gives you a reason to live.
    You watch every video available on said purchase nightly and your anxiety peaks.
    You have Manuals and custom parts for said purchase before it arrives.
    You look forward to installing those parts yourself with newfound confidence from videos.

#3421 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

We had (and still have) I-95 WRKI in CT

I wish we still had WFDD Wake Forest. The kind of Station you called up. got a sleepy DJ and request Autobahn and he plays the whole side of the album.
    We called in Frank Zappa "Titties and Beer" and he played it. Then came back on and cussed us out for recommending it.
    Said he was going to get fined by the FCC for profanity.
    Told everybody he didn't have time to preview everything beforehand so don't request anything profane.

4 weeks later
    #3493 2 years ago

When you remember watching the evacuation of Vietnam Live. So much has changed since then.

#3507 2 years ago

YKYAOW;
    You go to great lengths (much greater than normal people) to keep something Vintage working.
    Something Utility, like a lawn mower or your Dads hedging shears or Grandpas Railroad tape.
    You use this stuff when others would sell it at a flea market or hang it on the wall.
    When you reach the Car, Pinball or Tube Radio its on a different level.
    I have 2 Simplicity/ Allis Chalmers garden tractors from the mid-60's.
    Restored the Simplicity Landlord to show status, went one time. Since then I have worked the hades out of it.
    Snow blade, driveway grader. Boat and car Tow.
    Mainly, its been a mower. Decks are hard to come by for these things so sandblasted and 3-step POR paint process.
    I regularly mowed 4 Acres till I got tired of "Seat time" This thing has been pounded.
    All my neighbors have zero turns. But this thing will be fixed and working.
    Anyone else using Antique/Vintage utility items? Do they belong in the "As long as I am living" Camp?
    Forget to mention my favorite Estwing framing hammer.

#3511 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What is Grandpa's Railroad tape?
    I have a vintage 1 metal gallon gasoline can with a fixed pour tube/spout that puts these plastic flexible spouts to shame. It is the handiest gas can I have ever used. EZ pour with no spills. I'd like to find a couple more.
    Looks like this one.
    [quoted image]

A railroad Engineers personal watch and tape measure had to be approved. You have probably seen them, leather bound, cloth tape measure that winds by hand back in to the case.

Agree on the gas can, what a great specimen! I have a collection of gas cans and outboard motor fuel cans and only use the older ones.
    I have one plastic can with the regular non epa spout.
    Those epa spouts are really bad, surprised they haven't come up with another design.

#3513 2 years ago

These guys were installing/replacing track in the 30's.

He was a Field Engineer, in charge of a huge crew. Sorry for the confusion.
    The Cloth on this tape was really heavy and durable, with a water resistant coating on it.
    I would show a photo but unfortunately it was destroyed a few years ago.
    I used it my whole life before that.
    Still have his lantern and steam punk safety glasses. Use both of these. The watch went to the oldest son.

#3514 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I know about RR watches. Accuracy. Time scheduling is more important than money to a rail road.
    My mom had a cloth tape she used for sewing but I don't think this is what you are talking about.
    Why would a rail roader need a tape measure? For measuring packages and determining freight rates?

Yes, certified accuracy was a plus, most of them had a lock on the winding dial to prevent the Owner from re-setting them.
    They were set at the Office which had the tool to remove the lock.

1 month later
    #3644 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Lastly, this old jewel has been neglected a bit over the last year or two, but once my current pinball project is done I'm hoping to dust it off and put it back to work hauling firewood

I watched a military version of this Power Wagon WIN a tractor pull. Seriously, stock as far as I could tell, it didn't stop. Despite serious revving and whining pulled the sled to the END.

Would love to have that Dozer! Watched the Netflix Documentary about that guy converting his to a tank and wrecking the whole Town (not that I would do that). Still be cool to just fire up and cruise around the farm.

#3645 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Jack about killed me when I was 15, almost finished a entire fifth that time.

MD 20 20 ABOUT did the same to me. Hope its no longer made or sold.
    We called it Mad Dog,a fitting description.

1 week later
    #3698 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That bus would bring big bucks today!

These had the pancake engine which was a pain to tune and set up properly.
    The sweet spot for these vans were 64-70 that were 12 volt and used the upright 40-55 HP engines.
    I had a 1963 Transporter (windowless van). Loved that thing when it was running.
    Best thing in the snow ever built.
    No front end protection though, a 10 mile and hour crash nearly killed my friend.
    Became a non-running motel room parked in my Dads woods.

#3702 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, I know the early ones didn't have a 0-60mph acceleration time, because their top speed was like 57!

I had two friends who raced Bus and Beetles. The trick with the Bus was swapping out the gear-reduction rearend with a Beetle and building a 2180 engine (or doing a Corvair swap.)

You are right though, an early Owners Manual for the 25 and 36 HP Bus recommended it may be necessary to drive in reverse up hills( sounds crazy,but I read it).

#3714 2 years ago

Just picked up a pair of Red Wing Heritage American-Made Moc-Toe 6 inch boots. Whew!
    Older people know these boots, some younger Hip Hop and Retro Steam-Punk types too.
    If you can get a pair of these things that fit you are hooked for life.
    Think Tennis-shoe comfortable with something that looks like a work boot.
    It took me WEEKS to reach that stage.
    Measured at 10 1/2. Too tight.
    The store doesn't carry many Heritage boots since they are semi-custom order now from shoe lasts dating back to the early 50's.
    So they got in 11 wide, 11 1/2 wide, 10 wide over the past few weeks.
    Too big, too wide, too tight.
    So the 10 1/2 wide was the last chance.
    They are perfect, breaking them in now.
    Made in Minnesota by hand by aging skilled Employees. They promote the younger Crew in the promotional material but if you study who is actually assembling these things its Girls and Guys that have been there a long time.
    If you want a pair of Made in America Red Wings I would suggest purchasing soon.
    Their Sister Brand Irish Setter Boots( made in Vietnam) are OUT OF EVERYTHING.
    These things feel so good, good things come to those who wait.
    Red Wings last many years with re-soleing and repair services currently available.
    Very well could be my last pair of boots.

#3719 2 years ago

Can tell nobody wants to talk Red Wings, its all good.

In my little patch of America we practice Dark Out.
    No outside lights. No Utility-provided pole lights.
    It's dark out here, I like it.
    20 miles from a light source from the nearest City.
    You can actually see better without artificial light if you are concerned about safety.
    When the moon is out my front yard is illuminated to a point nobody could sneak up.
    We all hate artificial lighting and enjoy DARK, a rare commodity.

#3763 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

When I was a kid we always got a fruitcake as a gift from a family friend. Fruitcake is disgusting!! Anyway we always re-gifted it to someone else.
    I wonder if the people we gave it to were disgusted with it also? Is fruitcake still a thing?

Big fan of Fruitcake. There are good fruitcakes and a lot of bad ones.
    In the 60's up till recently Jane Parker fruitcakes were awesome. Jane Parker was an A&P Brand but later on you could find them in other stores like Big Star, Food Town and Zayres.
    Grandmas Fruitcakes were great too, made with a lot of Rum, Bourbon and Cashews. Haven't seen them in awhile.
    Carolina Classic fruitcakes are famous in NC. They are good, little too much butter.
    Fruitcake is the perfect food, wrap a slab in wax paper and put it in a pocket.
    Doesn't spoil and adds high energy when biking, climbing, any outdoor sport.
    I search out good fruitcakes every year but the pickings are getting slim.

#3776 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Hells yes, they make the best fruitcake in Claxton GA.

Any day now the local Food Lion puts up a Claxton display, and I buy 3. 1 for now. 1 for Thanksgiving, and 1 for Christmas.
    When they sell out, they do not get anymore.
    Claxton is real close to the Jane Parker of my Youth and a consistent go-to for the fruitcake fix.
    They used to offer 2 versions, what we get now is Claxton Light.
    Can't remember what the other one was but it was darker, stronger tasting, the real deal.

1 week later
    #3811 2 years ago

Confucious say;
    Man who lose key to wife door get no new key.

1 week later
    #3877 2 years ago

Cleaned out a bathroom closet. Found different varieties of hair gel, and some hair sprays.
    Seemed like yesterday getting ready for work and slicking back the mullet before heading out.
    Lost my hair fast. Once went 10 years without a haircut 14-24,had the longest hair in school.

Threw it all out.

2 weeks later
    #3902 2 years ago

You'll wonder where the yeller went

#3925 2 years ago

You have favorite graveyard shows on youtube.
    Watch all of the "Lamont at Large and Fascinating graveyard" episodes. The guy lives in a van and goes everywhere in the US.

1 year later
    #6435 5 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

You remember when the mashed potatoes in a TV dinner had an actual pat of butter (or margarine) on them.
    [quoted image]

They were better then because they were on an aluminum tray.
    Which meant you cooked them in a conventional oven on bake.
    No microwave.

#6437 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You know, the last time I went into Walmart, I was of course wearing earplugs. I ran into a friend, and so I removed the earplugs to talk with him. After leaving him, I noticed that there was no blaring "music" playing, and so didn't plug my ears again.
    I hope other stores follow suit.

Wal Mart will eventually implement a new Policy that pisses everyone off, ending in a severe reduction of customers.
    Tractor Supply or Northern Tool will probably be the benefactors, along with Food Lion.

1 week later
    #6538 5 months ago

What is skunky beer? Any examples?

1 month later
    #6819 3 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Agreed; after the assault weapons ban expired, school shootings became a monthly news story.
    But, those mass shootings are just a drop in the bucket to compared to the dozen kids that are killed ever single day in just normal shootings.
    When you poll people on the street, they are most likely to say that Drowning is the #1 cause of children's deaths...but the reality is a little different.
    [quoted image]

Remove ages 15-19 and those figures would drop dramatically.
    I was grown and moved out at 15. These are not "Children"

1 week later
    #6941 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But it sure sounded good when Ricardo Montalban said it. So that begs the question, who or which came first?
    A little search shows Corinthian Leather was first used on the 1974 Imperial before Ricardo came on board, but I am finding no ad that specifically calls it that.
    And yes, I have mucho time on my hands.

Us Southerners understood "Corithinan Leather" to be made from Cows raised on the Range, free from barbed wire that may scar.
    Not sure if this was promoted or just became an Urban Legend.

#6950 3 months ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I was jealous because my brother graduated from high school in 1976 and got a special bicentennial class ring.

Yeah, Sophomore year they started selling Bicentennial rings.
    Had to Graduate to get one.
    Had mine melted down to cast a Dragon Pail Lum Kung fu ring.
    It got stolen in a break in.

#6975 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

That was Bong Soo Han, Hapkido Master. He worked with Laughlin so he could later do passable fight scenes.
    Later Bong starred in one of them movies, think it was Billy Jack goes to Washington.

#6979 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Been a while since I've seen any of them, but I think the original Born Losers might have been the best of the series.

Billy Jack goes to Washington was banned in many theaters, I still have not seen it since
    Tom Laughlin owns the Movies and refused to release them to video.
    This may have changed since his death.
    He ran for President many times.
    Last photo I saw of him he had super long white hair like David Allan Coe.

#6981 3 months ago

Thanks for the update!
    Been years since I checked last, his Estate must have released the rights.

#7036 3 months ago

You know you are old when;
    You pull your own teeth.
    A bicuspid or minor molar (not a Dentist) has been loose for weeks.
    Sometimes waking up to it be sideways out of my mouth but always
    fell back in place.
    Oral surgeons in my area are 60 plus days out for an appointment.
    So I prayed for the thing to drop out.
    It did, tonight, and I am happy.
    It was an ugly tooth, anyway,

#7038 3 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

About a year ago I felt something on the side of my mouth. I thought food or something and picked it out.
    It was half a tooth. Okay. Where's the other half ? Not in there anywhere ?
    LTG : )

Did you ever find the other half or was it buried?

#7047 3 months ago
    Quoted from avspin:

Every time you fall requires surgery. Now getting sixth rotator cuff.

Sixth?
    I fall all the time. Use to work at UNC and bit the dust many times.
    A few years ago thought I needed rotator cuff service.
    Quick turns would bring tears level pain.
    Found out I was hunching over a guitar trying to learn and it locked my shoulder up.
    Most of it was tension coming from the neck into the shoulder.

#7067 3 months ago
    Quoted from hypnotoad:

When more people around you hate new tech than love new tech.

Of all the Tech Eras I've lived through do prefer analog.
    Tube Guitar amps are still the best too.
    The Military should use redundant analog back up.

#7069 3 months ago

That is impressive, serious.
    I use a flip phone with no camera. Thought I was doing something.
    They killed the Legacy copper on my road, my landline had to go a year ago.
    But the Wifi is killer now.
    In more ways then 1.

#7071 3 months ago

Speaking of Tech.
    I went through 4 track, reel to reel, cassette, CD, DAT and digital, with new learning curves on each one.
    Just to try and record some decent original songs.

Tired of learning all of these unique, proprietary operating systems.
    They still have not invented a simple voice recorder capable of CD quality.Plenty of complicated ones though

#7073 3 months ago

That was killer funny, thanks!

Don't start on a 40 year venture to be a Writer.
    Royal to an IBM typewriter, then a Brother word processor from Hell.
    Entering on DOS, saving to a floppy or some weird memory unit that became obsolete 10 minutes after being manufactured.
    Thousand page manuals, each different, exclusive, proprietary.

Then a hundred different operating systems for computers and machinery.
    Tired of learning that the latest Tech.

#7075 3 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Tascam D-40x
    No need to read the instructions.
    Use the built-in XY mics, or XLR
    Hit the Record button, set your level, hit Record again to start recording. Done
    Records onto a standard SD card.
    Yours will be black, mine is red for reasons unknown [quoted image]

Thanks Vid, always good results with Tascam.
    Like the dual inputs.

My bitch was transferring files to a usable format, in my case still like CDs.

Lets create a no - brainer Studio Recorder that spits out a usable medium.
    AI that sets all the adjustments according to the recording environment.
    Enhances voices that need it without a 500 dollar box. 2025 Autotune thats good, enough.

#7076 3 months ago

Going to pick one up, or the latest Model like it.
    Thanks again.

#7077 3 months ago

A good item of Tech is the latest head lamps. head lights, whatever they call them.
    Lot of young people seem to have one and like it.
    Night and day difference from the cranky incandescent alkaline junk.

#7079 3 months ago

Was that their last Tour?
    I heard the Cicadas live 4 years ago in a big field.

Sorry,bad joke.

#7091 87 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You know you are old when...you remember when Dannon yogurt came in a wax paper cup, with a cardboard coaster lid liner.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    .41 cents in the late 70s would be $2.00 today - BUT you got a full cup (8oz) of yogurt, compared to 4.3oz today.
    ...and it was real yogurt with no added corn starch, color, or gums.

My Father worked for Dannon when it first came on the scene in the late 80's.
    Nobody knew what yogurt really was but it became a HOT commodity in the early 90's.
    I took a few trays (24 count) to work and put it in the fridge.
    Soon after a fight broke out among the women in the office, everybody clutching cups and trying to hide it.
    Still have some memorabilia, toy truck, etc.
    Fruit on the bottom hasn't been the same in years if you can even find it.

#7094 87 days ago

When you are young, and hungry, and a free resource like yogurt is put in front of you,
    you LEARN to like it.
    At least we did.
    Not into the Greek stuff.
    But fruit on the bottom Dannon, or coffee or vanilla was great.
    Since it's become difficult to find I eat a lot less.

#7096 87 days ago

When my Uncle brought Horehound, licorice and chalky peppermint we learned to like that too.
    Haven't had Horehound in 30 years but would get some if I find it.

Hot sauce helps the flavor of dog food of all types including Military

#7099 87 days ago

I must have a taste for sh&%t. Love grapefruit juice, especially with sour mash whiskey.
    Remember the grapefruit diet in the 70's?
    It worked for me to lose weight. Got to like it way back then.

#7103 87 days ago

Thats awesome man! I forget Cal can grow citrus (Duh).
    I grew up on Florida pink.
    Used to have press that would juice those puppies quick.
    Nice tree Odin.

#7104 87 days ago
    Quoted from andylama:

I still see horehound hard candy at some locations of ACE Hardware, and the last time I was at a Cracker Barrel, they had it there too.
    It tastes more-or-less like weak root beer, if I remember correctly. Not bad...but also not as good as you remember, probably.

Real Horehound will take your head off. As kids it tasted awful.
    Just wanted to revisit the experience.
    Probably making friendly versions now.
    Tasted like Ginger, Mint and Grass.

#7105 87 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

We have a store chain called Atwoods that used to sell horehound. I would mind getting some for myself. I could make a run to Atwoods and see if the still sell it.
    How many 8 oz. sacks would you like for me to mail to you?

I appreciate the offer.
    Per my other comment it would have to be the lethal stuff I remember.
    Will run into some, probably from the Mountains.

#7137 86 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Honda already stopped making gas mowers last year.
    They saw the market was shrinking and got out, even before the Fed could pass some kind of law
    https://www.motor1.com/news/667175/honda-stop-making-gas-lawn-mowers

They got out of the push mowers due to the "Clone" engines getting better, 1/3 the cost and literally disposable.
    Briggs and Stratton are getting killed by the clones as well.
    I put a clone on my tiller and its an exact copy of a Honda. 120 bucks versus 330.
    Hope they continue to make engines for generators, even though I purchased a Northern Tool brand with,
    you guessed it, a clone.

#7140 86 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My mower is probably close to 20 years old now and has a quality Honda engine in it and should probably be easy enough to get a new wheel for it

I use two mowers, 1 1965 Simplicity Landlord and a 1966 Allis Chalmers.
    Simplicity built good stuff during that time, including a cast iron block long stroke Briggs motor.
    The drag mower deck leaves "Stripes in the lawn.

Figure by using these saved a lot of recycling junk over the years.
    To be honest I don't care about emissions from a lawnmower.
    Or a leaf blower, generator, outboard boat motor or a chainsaw.

#7141 86 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like used gas powered lawnmowers are going to be holding their value in the future. The small engine repair shops might have some good years on front of them.

Parts availability for engines are in danger.
    Briggs used to offer parts for nearly every engine they ever made. Changed dramatically in the past few years.

#7144 85 days ago

Cast body with a two stroke.
    Nice!

#7170 84 days ago

The vacuum repair guy was the best actor on Breaking Bad.
    His last acting appearance was El Camino. Died shortly after.
    Kudos to Robert Forster.

#7201 83 days ago

If you like Bleu Cheese.
    Even if you like Extra Sharp.
    Feta seems to have crossed over with the salad crowd, still not a requested selection.
    Roquefort Dressing is vanishing.

#7202 83 days ago

I am a recreational sleeper.
    Blessed with vivid dreams not from drugs.
    The perfect balance of quilts, comforters and ventilation.
    Nothing like being "Cozy" with a waft of cold air in your nostrils.
    Natural order seems to be 12 to 9.30

#7215 80 days ago

Until you have went to sleep wearing a 10 nicotine patch you haven't experienced dreams.
    Unbelievable clarity, realism, memory.
    Reminded me of the stories of that drug where people visit with clowns from another dimension.

#7245 75 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you are hunting for and still use bottle openers. Even after you've switched back to Coors.
    [quoted image]

Speaking of openers, can anyone recommend a quality mechanical can opener?
    I can't use a Military P-40 style, hands are too gnarly.
    At this point don't care if its expensive.

2 weeks later
    #7338 57 days ago

Agoraphobia (hope thats right) becomes real.
    First you don't want to go anywhere.
    Then you feel you can't.
    I have really become a Homebody. A 20 mile trip renders second thoughts.
    Don't want to go anywhere far.
    Like where I am at. the predictability, comfort, safety.
    Will still go anywhere, at any time, if necessary.

2 weeks later
    #7441 43 days ago

Best weed I ever encountered, Belize Breeze.
    Wonder if they still sell it? It was primarily blue.

1 week later
    #7480 32 days ago

Deep Trivia.
    We had a local guy in Greensboro (where I grew up) who tried out for the Vic Morrow role.
    We called him Coach Chatham but secretly (to us) he also went by "Hollywood Jack".
    They were looking for an attractive Jock and he could have been a Poster Child.
    My Brother was on the Cross Country Team and could run quickly (and seemingly effortlessly) for miles.
    Coach Chatham caught him breaking bottles behind the School and ran him down on a 7 mile chase.
    He came up on the yard and asked my Brother "Tired yet?

Word was he was second in line behind Victor for the Role.
    Here's to Hollywood Jack.

#7492 31 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Show us your pill regimen!

Don't have one. Don't support Pharma. Do take an aspirin now and then.
    Found out most things that require a pill go away with a diet change, fasting, sleep and hydration.

#7499 31 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Taco Bell still serves up a decent Mexican Pizza.
    They know I'm outdated if I request an Enchirito with extra olives instead.

I get strange looks ordering a OG Tostada. Musta ate a million!

#7523 26 days ago

Would like to make some soap. Really simple chemical process and so beneficial, especially if it's unavailable from the usual places.
    Currently studying the process and there really isn't any major secrets.
    Basic soap products do require a scent for the refined nose.
    People expect soap and shampoo to smell like something fresh.
    Have a collection of Old Spice, original Shulton produced, after shave, cologne, Original and Burly.
    Once I get a good soap recipe these bottles are in danger of being dumped for fragrance.

We will see how it goes.

2 weeks later
    #7558 12 days ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I worked at a gas station in 1970-1971 pumping gas, washing windshield, checking the engine oil. We were one of three gas stations on a small intersection. Our price was 36.9 cents. Across the street the other stations were a penny less. I could never understand why anyone would stop at our gas station when it was a penny less across the street.

Because you were there.

#7559 12 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does make you wonder why our Strategic Petroleum Reserve is now half empty and at its lowest level since 1983, doesn't it?

You ain't supposed to know that, or talk about it.
    Sheeeet!

#7560 12 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We are at near five bucks for regular, but Ca. was a much different place back then with actual oil wells pumping and a different set of rules for sure.
    I really don't see any of those horses as we called them anymore for some reason. But they were everywhere.
    I guess you might be old if you remember when Ca. pumped its own oil?
    [quoted image]

You need a Refinery and they are something else. Like expensive, undesirable and Regulated out the ass.
    Plenty of oil.
    Less gasoline, diesel, propane, Xylene and 300 other petroleum based solvents and fuels.

#7561 12 days ago

California oil is like California weed.
    Oil is oil, weed is weed.
    Gold is gold, silver is need.

#7580 9 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

4-5 years ago I was walking my dog along the backside of main street buildings. I ran into some guy I never saw before and with in 30 seconds he had whipped out his phone showing me all of his pictures. Super boring. And he was an old fart, too.

I was trapped by a truck driver who showed a worthless video snippet every 3 minutes. Insisted I watch and shoving the phone in my face.
    This continued despite polite requests I wasn't interested.
    It eventually escalated to the point of shouting and threatening him to keep the phone to himself.
    I had to ride with this guy to manage a Site Surplus Removal so couldn't get out.

#7581 9 days ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I grew up watching Dobie Gillis.

Do you remember an episode where Maynard got super powers somehow and picked up the corner of a building?
    Never seen this episode again, beginning to think it was an illusion.

#7603 7 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Season 4, ep 31 finds Maynard with superhuman strength after taking some experimental energy pills, whereupon he is encouraged to make money by becoming a boxer. Does that ring any bells (pun intended)?

That is it. Going to find a place to watch it. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.