Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,655 posts
  • 445 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 5.56.53?PM (resized).png
    real-triops.png
    large.jpg
    Dumb_20Donald_large (resized).jpg
    b302c800109bbb31265fc1394a1859ee (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_5521 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 4.51.56 PM (resized).png
    main-qimg-0d72a7a361a3a9943b69a29c9c4ca561-pjlq (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    There are 7,655 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 154.
    #6401 5 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Music CDs ..still a superior sound

Vinyl... still a far superior sound.

#6402 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Vinyl... still a far superior sound.

I had a co-worker a few years back spent a small fortune on NEW equipment that used tubes.
    Apparently vacuum tube audio is still a thing.

#6403 5 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yes it is.

Sometimes it is just impossible to shrink things down and make them work as good as they used to.

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
    #6404 5 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well heck yeah, Uncle Jed!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #6405 5 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I had a co-worker a few years back spent a small fortune on NEW equipment that used tubes.

About 90 miles north of me in Salina is a shop that presses vinyl records. Better quality of material and lots of remasters.

#6406 5 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Still like the physical copies...and they they look great as a display.

I'm afraid that our CD racks hits the kid's eyes the same way we looked at the bowl of ribbon candy that sat on Grandma's doily covered side table.

#6407 5 months ago

Kind of mind boggling that my entire 1200+ CD collection fits, ripped, on a Micro SD card smaller than my pinky fingernail.

But the CDs still look cooler!

PXL_20231107_044759981 (resized).jpgPXL_20231107_044759981 (resized).jpg
    #6408 5 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Before CDs, we had LPs. With all sorts of trick cover art, such as "stand up" pictures inside a double album cover.

Way back, in the early 70s, not everybody had a nice stereo. Having your own stereo was an instant friend magnet. You could have lots of company.

And the thing then was to crank up the sounds, toke up, kick back, and stare at all of the pictures on the album covers.

Good times.

Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 11.03.20 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-11-06 at 11.03.20 PM (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 11.03.34 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-11-06 at 11.03.34 PM (resized).jpg

#6409 5 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Kind of mind boggling that my entire 1200+ CD collection fits, ripped, on a Micro SD card smaller than my pinky fingernail.
    [quoted image]

Black Knight security services! Laughed at that one. Assuming those are decorative matches in all those tall round containers....that's ol" school for sure!

#6410 5 months ago

I can tell I’m getting old, because I find myself getting irritated by the music playing at Home Depot and other public places. I think they’re aiming for a younger demographic. I may quit my gym because I forgot my headphones yesterday and had to hear repetitive rap (from the fitness class) the whole time I was on the treadmill. Any sound coming out of a cell phone speaker makes me mad. I can’t sit in the same room with my wife while she’s watching Instagram videos.

Grrrr!

Oh, and here’s my favorite: we’re out in public and someone’s kid has a tablet with the volume turned up. When I go talk to the parent, my wife gets mad at me for embarrassing her. It makes me feel like Michael Douglas in “Falling Down”: I’m the bad guy??

#6411 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I can tell I’m getting old, because I find myself getting irritated by the music playing at Home Depot and other public places

I miss Muzak. Nice easy background music to shop by.

Quoted from swampfire:

I think they’re aiming for a younger demographic

To me, it seems what is being played depends on who the store manager is. It is in your ears and face. Way too loud. Most of it is a younger music with a vibe I cannot embrace.

Quoted from swampfire:

When I go talk to the parent, my wife gets mad at me for embarrassing her. It makes me feel like Michael Douglas in “Falling Down”: I’m the bad guy??

LOL!

#6412 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I can tell I’m getting old, because I find myself getting irritated by the music playing at Home Depot and other public places.

Amen, brother. I wear earplugs in most stores.
    Unfortunately, I really can't in restaurants.
    Also very annoying are the constant interruptions to the "music", when they page someone or to make some kind of announcement. BLEEP! Yack...yack...yack...BLEEP!

#6413 5 months ago

Our Grocery Outlet and a couple other places play 80s music, and boy does that get old.

#6414 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Our Grocery Outlet and a couple other places play 80s music, and boy does that get old.

We have a couple of Famous Dave's Bar BQ restaurants in town. Dave's theme is to play blues music all day and all night. I'm not talking BB King for Freddie King blues.

This is hardcore blues like Sonny Boy Williamson, Arthur Crudup etc. As I was eating I heard a couple of employees crying the blues about having to listen to blues all shift long.

And when I was in Atlanta to pick up a pin, I went to a Bar BQ franchise where blues was being played in the sound system. I asked the 2 women covering the night shift, " Do you ladies get to listen to the blues all shift long, or do you have to listen to the blues all shift long.

They replied along the lines that it was torturous to have to listen to blues all shift long.

#6415 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

With all sorts of trick cover art,

album (resized).jpgalbum (resized).jpg
    #6416 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

To this day, I still do not know who all of the faces belong to.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#6417 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

To this day, I still do not know who all of the faces belong to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_images_on_the_cover_of_Sgt._Pepper%27s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band

Beatlesongs album cover featured Mark Chapman, holding the left side of the banner. He's the man that shot John Lennon.

LTG : )

beat (resized).jpgbeat (resized).jpg
    #6418 5 months ago

We had another use for album covers. lol. Jethro Tull's Stand Up had the true stand up in the middle.

Just got back from Knott's and it looks like Xcelerator is finally set to reopen as we watched the line form while eating our chili cheese dogs before it was disbursed. Maybe next time. But we did go on HangTime with no line.

I always hang on going straight up the vertical lift because it feels like I am going to slide out of my seat.

#6419 5 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Assuming those are decorative matches in all those tall round containers....that's ol" school for sure!

Nope, they are kaleidoscopes mostly, a couple telescopes. Very old school entertainment!

#6420 5 months ago

When you have no idea your picture is being taken. Especially your good side.

thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpgthumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
    #6421 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Oh, and here’s my favorite: we’re out in public and someone’s kid has a tablet with the volume turned up. When I go talk to the parent, my wife gets mad at me for embarrassing her. It makes me feel like Michael Douglas in “Falling Down”: I’m the bad guy??

Out w the extended family for Sunday breakfast a couple weeks ago and the table next to us had the requisite little kid standing on his chair, parent's phone in hand, turned up to keep him entertained, because, you know, what other way is there to keep a kid occupied besides a phone in 20203?

Crayons to draw with? Talk to them? Don't be absurd!

#6422 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We had another use for album covers. lol. Jethro Tull's Stand Up had the true stand up in the middle.

That was one of the albums we used to stare at. What other uses did you have for album covers? Other than a surface for rolling a doobie I am not figuring it out

#6423 5 months ago

Back to the "music" the stores are playing today:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/07/business/walmart-sensory-friendly-hours-every-us-store/index.html

"Walmart announced Tuesday that it is making changes to create a calmer shopping experience, at least for a few hours every day in all of its US stores.'

" Set to be implemented on Nov. 10, the changes include setting in-store TV walls to a static image, turning off the radio, and lowering the store lights."

I like the turning off the radio part.

#6424 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:" Set to be implemented on Nov. 10, the changes include setting in-store TV walls to a static image, turning off the radio, and lowering the store lights."

theylive-messages (resized).pngtheylive-messages (resized).png
    #6425 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Other than a surface for rolling a doobie I am not figuring it out

The double albums would allow you to fold them up half way, so you could cleanly pour the loose shake back into the baggie.

#6426 5 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

The double albums would allow you to fold them up half way, so you could cleanly pour the loose shake back into the baggie.

Is that called Shake-n-Bake? Or get Baked and Shake?

Sorry. I could not resist. I want to help.

#6427 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I like the turning off the radio part.

You know, the last time I went into Walmart, I was of course wearing earplugs. I ran into a friend, and so I removed the earplugs to talk with him. After leaving him, I noticed that there was no blaring "music" playing, and so didn't plug my ears again.
    I hope other stores follow suit.

#6428 5 months ago

Led Zeppelin.

If you are old enough you know what this picture is.

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 8.48.33 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-11-09 at 8.48.33 AM (resized).jpg

Something new is out about this album cover.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/entertainment/original-photograph-mysterious-figure-cover-000131906.html

"An original photograph of the mysterious figure on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV has been discovered in an old photo album - and he's been identified"

#6429 5 months ago

You remember when a package of Cracker Jacks had more than one peanut in it.

f7f1101b-507f-45f5-bb52-f1978915bfa7 (resized).jpegf7f1101b-507f-45f5-bb52-f1978915bfa7 (resized).jpeg
    #6430 5 months ago

I knew I was old most recently when walking through the book store I saw this...

I got a tripple whammy from it.

First, it actually says, "old" in the top left corner.

Second, I had to explain to my kids what a magazine was.

Third... this is $29.99.

20231110_185516 (1) (resized).jpg20231110_185516 (1) (resized).jpg
    #6431 5 months ago

You remember when the mashed potatoes in a TV dinner had an actual pat of butter (or margarine) on them.

s-l1600 (5) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (5) (resized).jpg
    #6432 5 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

You remember when the mashed potatoes in a TV dinner had an actual pat of butter (or margarine) on them.
    [quoted image]

59 cents?!?

#6433 5 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

[quoted image]

I loved those Swanson Chicken dinners. Now all you can get is Hungry Man and the chicken chews like it was scraped off the floor and it is more breading than chicken. And no butter on the potatoes

#6434 5 months ago

Bought any magazines lately?

#6435 5 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

[quoted image]

They were better then because they were on an aluminum tray.
    Which meant you cooked them in a conventional oven on bake.
    No microwave.

#6436 5 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

[quoted image]

My brother got the frozen veal or cube steak with the included square of butter.

I preferred two Oh Boy cheese pizzas for 99 cents that came in one box. When I wanted to make my own, I used this.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#6437 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You know, the last time I went into Walmart, I was of course wearing earplugs. I ran into a friend, and so I removed the earplugs to talk with him. After leaving him, I noticed that there was no blaring "music" playing, and so didn't plug my ears again.
    I hope other stores follow suit.

Wal Mart will eventually implement a new Policy that pisses everyone off, ending in a severe reduction of customers.
    Tractor Supply or Northern Tool will probably be the benefactors, along with Food Lion.

#6438 5 months ago

I guess if you remember when McDonalds biggest sandwich was a standard double cheeseburger.

Or this.

#6439 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Is that called Shake-n-Bake? Or get Baked and Shake?
    [quoted image]
    Sorry. I could not resist. I want to help.

That Shake N Bake BBQ glaze is pretty good. But so was this. Don't know why I've got food on my mind as I already ate.

#6440 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I loved those Swanson Chicken dinners. Now all you can get is Hungry Man and the chicken chews like it was scraped off the floor and it is more breading than chicken. And no butter on the potatoes

"I even like the chicken, if the sauce is not too bleu!"

#6441 5 months ago

Yeah man, they were expensive! You could get a whole pound of ground beef for 59 cents back then. We rarely had frozen dinners in the 60s or 70s. Besides, they were about as nasty then as they are now!

#6442 5 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Tractor Supply

They just opened one near me. Went for the first time. Second time, I wore ear plugs. Blaring country music doesn't enhance my shopping experience. Bring back Muzak. Everywhere!

#6443 5 months ago

Remembrance Day. started Watching ken burns masterpiece WW2 documentary on you tube. Very emotional films

#6444 5 months ago
    ED6794EB-A78E-417D-8543-4CE7FD64C31B (resized).jpegED6794EB-A78E-417D-8543-4CE7FD64C31B (resized).jpeg
    #6445 5 months ago

“ I only had grade 8 education then suddenly in a War and had no idea what was I was doing” getting injured was the best thing that happened to me. Veteran from Toronto Canada .

54698A30-2272-460A-9054-72BD5BADDE38 (resized).jpeg54698A30-2272-460A-9054-72BD5BADDE38 (resized).jpeg
    #6446 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

They just opened one near me. Went for the first time. Second time, I wore ear plugs. Blaring country music doesn't enhance my shopping experience. Bring back Muzak. Everywhere!

I have 4 Tractor Supply stores and do not recall hearing any kind of ceiling noise from any of them.

#6447 5 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Remembrance Day.

My Grandfather was in WW1. An uncle died in WW2. My Dad served in Korea, Egypt, and Cypress. A nephew did 2 tours of Afghanistan. My dad would take me to Nov 11 services every year. Went to the Ottawa service a couple of times. 'Lest We Forget'.

#6448 5 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Remembrance Day. started Watching ken burns masterpiece WW2 documentary on you tube. Very emotional films

Remembrance Day is Canadian, correct? I can't bring it up on my youtube. Is this a Canada only documentary? I get all kinds of other Ken Burns material but not this.

#6449 5 months ago

Most British Commonwealth nations has a ceremonial day on the 11th as well. The signing of the WW1 Armistice on Nov 11, the 11 hour, in the year 1919.

#6450 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Remembrance Day is Canadian, correct? I can't bring it up on my youtube. Is this a Canada only documentary? I get all kinds of other Ken Burns material but not this.

Correct ..it’s a live broadcast In Canada every Nov 11. At 11 am we pause as a nation for thought for 2 minutes

There are 7,655 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 154.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/129 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.