Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,619 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 153.
    #3401 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I know I’m old because I had Dire Straits first album on 8-track. Then it came out on CD around 1981, and it was one of my first CDs (gonna put it on now).
    Then it came out on SACD, and I said “no thanks, I don’t get it”
    I think SACD is for kids under 18 who don’t have a built-in 5k lowpass filter.

I have two SACDs. They sound terrific, but you need a special player for them.

#3402 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Oops! Just for bacon. Sorry.

Don't worry, he already said he didn't know.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Don't know cotton but definitely a candidate for hottie of month.

And besides, cotton already pinned her:

Quoted from cottonm4:

My generation knew her as Mrs. Olsen who was selling the “richest kind” of coffee. Folger’s Coffee.

The actress's name was Virginia Christine, a name I was not familiar with. She was in movies starting in 1943, and on TV beginning in 1951. Credits include The Mummy's Curse, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

As Mrs. Olson, she was always on about how "Mountain Grown" coffee is the richest kind. The "Best part of waking up" jingle was created when Ms. Christine retired in the 80's. She passed away in 1996.

I have remarked before, you know you are old when the best part of waking up is waking up, not having died in your sleep. I'm sure Virginia would agree!

#3403 2 years ago

You know your old when you call your cell to find it then call the missed call.

#3404 2 years ago

Garage sale score today along with this weird vintage science molecule play set.

20210717_172646 (resized).jpg20210717_172646 (resized).jpg

#3405 2 years ago

Nice stack of classics right there.

#3406 2 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Nice stack of classics right there.

You know you are old when you remember the transition from vinyl to "cutting edge technology" CD's, and now CD's are considered vintage items.

#3407 2 years ago

Forced to go the mall with 3 women today. I am hyperventilating.

#3408 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Forced to go the mall with 3 women today. I am hyperventilating.

Call in sick

#3409 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

You know you are old when you remember the transition from vinyl to "cutting edge technology" CD's, and now CD's are considered vintage items.

You forgot cassette tape and reel to reel.

#3410 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Picked this up recently. Cheap.
    Needed a lot of cleaning and some repairs, but it's working now.

20210710_110815 (resized).jpg20210710_110815 (resized).jpg
    #3411 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Garage sale score today along with this weird vintage science molecule play set.
    [quoted image]

Cool! PBR!

#3412 2 years ago

Already in trouble with d.i.l. !!

20210718_110846 (resized).jpg20210718_110846 (resized).jpg

#3413 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I remember them, but I don't remember their initial introduction to the market.

I still have stacks of Maxell and TDK mix tapes I made in the late 70's and 80's. A lot of them recorded from radio back when FM stations had unique personalities, before corporations bought and packaged them to be clones of each other.

#3414 2 years ago

Ok now get me outta here!!

IMG_5542 (resized).jpgIMG_5542 (resized).jpg
    #3415 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I still have stacks of Maxell and TDK mix tapes I made in the late 70's and 80's.

Yup. I used to record my LPs the first time I played them on Maxell UDXL II or TDK SA cassettes. Played the tapes in the car. I don't know if my Akai cassette deck works anymore, but it's been sitting dormant down in the basement.

#3416 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yup. I used to record my LPs the first time I played them on Maxell UDXL II or TDK SA cassettes. Played the tapes in the car. I don't know if my Akai cassette deck works anymore, but it's been sitting dormant down in the basement.

Yup, same here. There was a Boston FM station during 1980 that would play the "Album of the Week" uninterrupted. Always recorded those on TDK cassette tape. That was sooo long ago...

#3417 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Yup, same here. There was a Boston FM station during 1980 that would play the "Album of the Week" uninterrupted. Always recorded those on TDK cassette tape. That was sooo long ago...

The 1980 equivalent of stealing music before napster.

#3418 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

We had (and still have) I-95 WRKI in CT. When I got that reel to reel deck going, I found a tape that I had recorded probably back in the '80s on an Akai RTR which is no longer working. It was a feature that I-95, which is normally a rock station, would do on Sunday mornings called "The Jazz Brunch". The tape still sounds very good after all these years.

#3419 2 years ago

My dad is constantly surprising me by bringing things that I thought were long gone. Last time he came he brought me a cassette tape from probably ‘84, where my brother and I recorded ourselves prank-calling different businesses. I need to digitize that and get it to my brother’s kids.

#3420 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My dad is constantly surprising me by bringing things that I thought were long gone. Last time he came he brought me a cassette tape from probably ‘84, where my brother and I recorded ourselves prank-calling different businesses. I need to digitize that and get it to my brother’s kids.

"Hello. Are you the fat muffin man?".....

#3421 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

We had (and still have) I-95 WRKI in CT

I wish we still had WFDD Wake Forest. The kind of Station you called up. got a sleepy DJ and request Autobahn and he plays the whole side of the album.
    We called in Frank Zappa "Titties and Beer" and he played it. Then came back on and cussed us out for recommending it.
    Said he was going to get fined by the FCC for profanity.
    Told everybody he didn't have time to preview everything beforehand so don't request anything profane.

#3422 2 years ago

I brought in Cheech and Chongs Big Bamboo album to high school social studies class. The teacher was mortified and I remember her saying, "you didn't hear that in this class" as we filed out to next class. Hilarious stuff.

#3423 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I brought in Cheech and Chongs Big Bamboo album to high school social studies class. The teacher was mortified and I remember her saying, "you didn't hear that in this class" as we filed out to next class. Hilarious stuff.

In grade school, 5th grade I believe it was, we could bring in our own 45s to play in class on occasion.

One time I brought "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. When I got it back, someone had snapped it in half.

Another time, I brought "Carry Me, Carrie" from Dr Hook and the Medicine Show. The B side was "Freaker's Ball," which featured lyrics such as "The fags and the dykes, they boogyin' together, the leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather." (What did I know? I was 11!) Teacher never played either side in class, but I never got that one back at all! And I seem to remember my parents getting a call.

#3424 2 years ago

...when you've never actually heard a Wu-Tang Clan album but you figure they must be a spinoff group from Wang Chung.

#3425 2 years ago

Someone please photoshop Musk and Branson into the cone section, haha.
    17F6005A-02CE-4154-8B72-2A2802F77F34 (resized).jpeg17F6005A-02CE-4154-8B72-2A2802F77F34 (resized).jpeg

#3426 2 years ago

Just texted an employee. ..thanks for staying on top of me....will I get in trouble with that?
    Can't be 100% in this day and age.

#3427 2 years ago

I would hope not, depending on context!

#3428 2 years ago

Nothing more than thanks for remembering.

#3429 2 years ago

Now I feel really old, became a grandfather at 4AM this morning.

#3430 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Congratulations! Boy or girl?

#3431 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Congratulations! Boy or girl?

Girl. Mother and child are well. Now I'll be the grandpa with the pinballs.

#3432 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Welcome to the club.

#3433 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Congrats! Being a grandparent is the best!

#3434 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

..And a little skating rink in the backyard?

#3435 2 years ago

You know you are old when you open up the magazine centerfold and don't even bother wish you were 30 years younger.

#3436 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You know you are old when you open up the magazine centerfold and don't even bother wish you were 30 years younger.

And the magazine is Readers Digest!

#3437 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

..And a little skating rink in the backyard?

Sorry no. While I did take my daughter to skating lessons as a kid, I live in log house surrounded by trees. So she'll have to go to Penn State as my daughter did.

#3438 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

And the magazine is Reader's Digest!

Ooh la la... this month's centerfold!

20210722_170136 (resized).jpg20210722_170136 (resized).jpg
    #3439 2 years ago

When.... You're a great-grandparent at 60. But loving it!

#3440 2 years ago

Held my 1st granddaughter today for 30 minutes. She was 3 weeks early and only 5lb 6oz at birth. Live changing experience for me. I still think of daughter as my baby. Now another one.

#3441 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Held my 1st granddaughter today for 30 minutes. She was 3 weeks early and only 5lb 6oz at birth. Live changing experience for me. I still think of daughter as my baby. Now another one.

Awww!

#3442 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

8270d3a61a9b130349387a4d5f299819 (resized).jpg8270d3a61a9b130349387a4d5f299819 (resized).jpg

#3443 2 years ago

Lately I am feeling very old.

I have a handful of grass cutting jobs, and used to I would do all of them in one day.

Now after doing 1 or 2 I am ready for a nap.

The heat and humidity just zaps me. I do my best to stay hydrated, but I still cramp up some.

In the meantime I am slowing down big time on the amount of work I do anyway, and trying to relax and enjoy life.

I do enjoy all the work I do, and I never plan to stop working, but just a little a day to stay fit and make a few bucks.

Sometimes I wish I had a 4th, or even a 5th rental house, but after being debt free for so long and the way I feel now I am just happy with what I have.

Some of my friends have already passed away, while some of my family are pretty old.

And partly because it takes my girlfriend forever to get ready, and always runs way late, the vacation I have planned to relax and fish, we are leaving a day earlier, so I can relax and not feel like I have to speed all I can getting there.

(but if everyone else is doing 20 over the speed limit, I will not hold them up, I will be right there with them).

I am slowing down working, and driving, but if the flow is going 90mph, I do feel good enough to be right in the middle of that.

In the meantime if my friend that I operate excavators for calls and asks me to help him do a job out in the country, I will still get up at 5am and do that a couple days a week.

But if he were to call again about working at a place like Lockheed, hell no.

I am done with hard hat bull crap. 99.9% of all of that is just for show, there is no danger of getting hit in the head, unless a airplane drops the poop out of the tank.

Anyway my friends that passed way to early were all still working all the time, hell no.

I do not need a bigger house, I do not need a new truck, I do not even need to go out to eat except for maybe a couple of times a year for a birthday.

And I used to think that I wanted to someday take a road trip to Key West, until I looked at motel prices there, hell no I am not spending 350.00 or more for a motel room on a trip.

Anyway it is awesome how well pinball machines hold their value, and all the awesome people on this site.

(and just looking at some of the motel costs these days, I really dread the day I ever have to go see a dentist again).

Anyway, I hope all of you have a AWESOME WEEK!

(sorry that I did not put everything in caps, but I think I did space pretty well, so all of you geezers like me can read it easier).

#3444 2 years ago

I have my annual doctors appointment coming up next month.

Strangely I'm in some ways looking forward to it. . . so I can ask if all these aches, pains, twitches, etc. I've experienced since the last time I saw him are normal or not.

As more time passes I start to worry more about such things.

#3445 2 years ago

My doctor told me last week that my chronically stiff neck on one side is probably just old age.

You mean eventually I'll hurt like this all over?

#3446 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You mean eventually I'll hurt like this all over?

No. Eventually you won't hurt at all.

LTG : )

#3447 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

My doctor told me last week that my chronically stiff neck on one side is probably just old age.

One of the things I tell owners when they bring their elderly dogs and cats in is: "Age is not a disease, but it certainly can bring some baggage with it."

#3448 2 years ago

You know you're old when you go to a store and can't wait to leave because of the "music" they're blasting. I really think a lot of these places choose the most annoying and grating stuff they can play, and if you're at Home Depot or Lowes, it's constantly being interrupted with BOOP BOOP; (announcement here). I thought the idea was to keep you IN the store, not drive you OUT!
    If you remember Muzak, you're old. At the time we thought it sucked (because we were rock and rollers), but now I really miss it. Just soothing background music with NO screeching vocals.

#3449 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You know you're old when you go to a store and can't wait to leave because of the "music" they're blasting. I really think a lot of these places choose the most annoying and grating stuff they can play, and if you're at Home Depot or Lowes, it's constantly being interrupted with BOOP BOOP; (announcement here). I thought the idea was to keep you IN the store, not drive you OUT!
    If you remember Muzak, you're old. At the time we thought it sucked (because we were rock and rollers), but now I really miss it. Just soothing background music with NO screeching lyrics.

"If it's too loud....."

i probably still can't hear it.

#3450 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

"If it's too loud....."
    i probably still can't hear it.

If I remember to, I bring earplugs with me, but sometimes it's so loud I can still hear it!

There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.