Screenshot_20240406_121148_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 205.
#2652 6 years ago

I just posted a NOS CC'd LOTR playfield in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

Link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62299

#2653 6 years ago

Just picked up my LOTR LE 3 weeks ago and plays great till last night when I have it a little shake then I lost my color DMD and sound, game still plays fine just no DMD or sound. Anyone had this?

#2654 6 years ago

I'm all good,up and running again

#2655 6 years ago
Quoted from lockislit:

I'm all good,up and running again

Fuse? Loose wire?

#2656 6 years ago

Selling a great addition to your LOTR! These are brand new custom apron magnets. Very high quality!! Use these to cover up the girls on your LOTR Apron. Please see photos. $24 + $6 shipping. Sorry, magnets are expensive to make.
Send me a message to order a set.

137922FE-E038-4C61-992D-D5037EE40A83 (resized).jpeg137922FE-E038-4C61-992D-D5037EE40A83 (resized).jpeg
6A35379A-578F-4E3D-AD96-7863E8A5DD79 (resized).jpeg6A35379A-578F-4E3D-AD96-7863E8A5DD79 (resized).jpeg
5E50C0E9-BB5C-4A1A-8D50-39A50B802C27 (resized).jpeg5E50C0E9-BB5C-4A1A-8D50-39A50B802C27 (resized).jpeg
5D80758E-5327-4E55-AE78-4C38C0DC9344 (resized).jpeg5D80758E-5327-4E55-AE78-4C38C0DC9344 (resized).jpeg
5C9E22AF-1D0A-46C5-9155-57DEAA395709 (resized).jpeg5C9E22AF-1D0A-46C5-9155-57DEAA395709 (resized).jpeg

#2657 6 years ago

CARDS-BALROG_DOOM01 (resized).jpgCARDS-BALROG_DOOM01 (resized).jpg

map cards.jpgmap cards.jpg

#2658 6 years ago

Thanks for additional images! Too bad magnets are expensive to make, cut, etc. cheers!!!

#2659 6 years ago

I took a few pics with the glass off. I never knew HEP stamped the playfields like this...pretty cool.

Owning this HEP makes me want another one.

646A121B-9BA2-4325-85A6-BD64519BB99D (resized).jpeg646A121B-9BA2-4325-85A6-BD64519BB99D (resized).jpeg

AB337EDD-4ED3-459B-BC23-DF0F7665C336 (resized).jpegAB337EDD-4ED3-459B-BC23-DF0F7665C336 (resized).jpeg

D58E90E4-E6F8-4320-9666-EA1F8CA20D5B (resized).jpegD58E90E4-E6F8-4320-9666-EA1F8CA20D5B (resized).jpeg

F9305EE4-F0CC-41B7-9552-B3EC307E7A85 (resized).jpegF9305EE4-F0CC-41B7-9552-B3EC307E7A85 (resized).jpeg

AD23FA5B-5580-4E20-B42A-B7DE233A6A92 (resized).jpegAD23FA5B-5580-4E20-B42A-B7DE233A6A92 (resized).jpeg

1BADA81D-3B57-4FC7-99B5-596AD870AFA8 (resized).jpeg1BADA81D-3B57-4FC7-99B5-596AD870AFA8 (resized).jpeg

B8A0E78D-49A8-4EF4-AA5D-B1E3C887A234 (resized).jpegB8A0E78D-49A8-4EF4-AA5D-B1E3C887A234 (resized).jpeg

B25C2C64-FF75-464D-8FBE-ABDE9EF36B30 (resized).jpegB25C2C64-FF75-464D-8FBE-ABDE9EF36B30 (resized).jpeg

#2660 6 years ago

Again with the Gimli VUK Switch topic haha:

My super low plays LOTR LE has an intermittent gimli switch. Maybe 60% of the time it registers but otherwise can sit in there with no response. I'm guessing the micro switch is fine(but maybe not?). I have a spare switch. But would rather adjust the fork actuator and save $10 if I can. Anybody had luck with adjusting the original actuator?

#2661 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

My super low plays LOTR LE has an intermittent gimli switch. Maybe 60% of the time it registers but otherwise can sit in there with no response. I'm guessing the micro switch is fine(but maybe not?). I have a spare switch. But would rather adjust the fork actuator and save $10 if I can. Anybody had luck with adjusting the original actuator?

certainly worth a try. Didn't work for me and I had to replace the switch.

#2662 6 years ago

Is there a trick to adjusting an actuator like this? I always seem to do more harm than good trying to adjust actuators.

#2663 6 years ago

Is there a trick to adjusting an actuator like this? I always seem to do more harm than good trying to adjust actuators.

yes, hold the switch in the closed position (pushed down) and bend the end of the switch up with needle-nose pliers.

#2664 6 years ago

I never had any luck trying to fix the Y switch. My installed ST switch is still working flawlessly. Simple swap. My shire Y switch is still working OK. The Gimli must take more of a beating.

#2665 6 years ago

I have a few new Y switches to sell at Pinfest if anyone wants them.

#2666 6 years ago

Bending the Y switch up a little worked a couple times for me and then I broke one side of the plastic off in the Shire hole. Luckily, I had spares. You can also loosen the screws that hold the switch in because if they are too tight the switch can bind and have intermittent problems as discussed earlier in this thread.

#2667 6 years ago

Aha ok I'll give those things a look. Hadn't seen the binding issue mentioned, thanks for reiterating that.

#2668 6 years ago

Hello, I still have a few sets of these left. Selling a great addition to your LOTR! These are brand new custom apron magnets. Very high quality!! Use these to cover up the girls on your LOTR Apron. Please see photos. $24 + $6 shipping. Sorry, magnets are expensive to make.
Send me a message to order a set.

37F82EE4-5DAC-42F1-9F40-6FA6E5405D23 (resized).jpeg37F82EE4-5DAC-42F1-9F40-6FA6E5405D23 (resized).jpeg

56CD709D-0F26-438D-B1A0-42DC879CA9E0 (resized).jpeg56CD709D-0F26-438D-B1A0-42DC879CA9E0 (resized).jpeg

6E2C9A31-EC67-457E-AE3A-584D606B9447 (resized).jpeg6E2C9A31-EC67-457E-AE3A-584D606B9447 (resized).jpeg

7F0038A0-2000-4526-B7DF-153C4B112F03 (resized).jpeg7F0038A0-2000-4526-B7DF-153C4B112F03 (resized).jpeg

978DD0F6-E895-4AF2-828A-98C4462891DF (resized).jpeg978DD0F6-E895-4AF2-828A-98C4462891DF (resized).jpeg

#2669 6 years ago

Just got the game over the weekend. Pretty awesome so far!

I think my game has the higher powered flipper coils, and just wanted to ask what you all think about this. I like to play my games the way they were intended/designed, but if the stock coils were problematic, then maybe I'm better off with the ones in the game now.

Cheers.

#2670 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I think my game has the higher powered flipper coils, and just wanted to ask what you all think about this. I like to play my games the way they were intended/designed, but if the stock coils were problematic, then maybe I'm better off with the ones in the game now.
Cheers.

If they work I would keep them in.

#2671 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

If they work I would keep them in.

I'm just curious to know the difference. Can anyone explain.

Thanks.

#2672 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm just curious to know the difference. Can anyone explain.
Thanks.

Im sure its been covered many times in this thread but the stock coils tend to heat up and get weaker as the game plays on making many of the key shots such as the ring difficult. LOTR is know to have Long game times. The custom or higher power coils tend to balance out that issue. If you like how the game plays as is I would leave it. Its not like your devaluing it with a non standard part. If you like it that is all that matters. Congrats on an Awesome game!!

#2673 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Cheers.

I have tried both the high and medium powered coils. Since I had been playing forever with the standard coils, the new coils changed the game too much from what I was used to. Thus, I ultimately decided to go back to the standard coils. When I play it now, if I am in the middle of a long game, I take a break between balls to let the coils cool down.

#2674 6 years ago

Just bought this gem about a month ago. Pimped up the outside with brass and installed a few mods, also getting some cliffys soon (Gimli is in need especially!). I will add more later, but does anyone know where to find the Arwen plastic in the US for less than $50? I have the non-Arwen version, but it’s cracked because there was no diverter on the Path of the Dead to direct to the lane (I installed one now). I’d like to replace with Arwen.

One other thing, my Path of the dead is slightly tilted. Any good ideas on how to resolve? There isn’t a lot of room to prop the outside half up, which is what needs to happen. Wax did help quite a bit, though the game REALLY flies now lol.

#2675 6 years ago
Quoted from raz0red:

I have tried both the high and medium powered coils. Since I had been playing forever with the standard coils, the new coils changed the game too much from what I was used to. Thus, I ultimately decided to go back to the standard coils. When I play it now, if I am in the middle of a long game, I take a break between balls to let the coils cool down.

What would you say the main difference is? The game plays faster and thus harder?

Although it may be unreasonable, I do want to get to Vallinor one day, so making it harder isn't really what I'm going for haha!

I also like my games to play as close to factory as possible, unless something was really defective and needed changes.

#2676 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What would you say the main difference is? The game plays faster and thus harder?
Although it may be unreasonable, I do want to get to Vallinor one day, so making it harder isn't really what I'm going for haha!
I also like my games to play as close to factory as possible, unless something was really defective and needed changes.

The game is definitely easier with the medium or high powered coils. You don't have to be as precise to make the ring shot over long play sessions. The main reason I removed them was that when I would first turn on the game, it seemed way too powerful. The ball would slam into the ring, the left ramp shot would come screaming back at a very high velocity, and the targets would get slammed pretty hard. In addition to feeling I might break something, the shots just felt off from what I was used to. Over a longer play session the medium and high power coils heat up causing them to be less powerful (like the standard ones), but the initial play was too powerful for my liking.

It really all comes down to personal preference. I know people who have upgraded and swear by it. I also haven't heard of anyone breaking anything due to the upgraded coils, so it is probably just me.

#2677 6 years ago

Regarding coil strength... I wonder how many people even tried changing the power setting in the adjustments menu before they swapped out the stock ones for the torqued up aftermarket ones? I never see it mentioned but it is definitely a setting that can be changed.

I have not yet personally had a problem with coil strength dropping during long games but I have gotten some PC case fans that I am going to install at some point just in case.

#2678 6 years ago
Quoted from raz0red:

The game is definitely easier with the medium or high powered coils. You don't have to be as precise to make the ring shot over long play sessions. The main reason I removed them was that when I would first turn on the game, it seemed way too powerful. The ball would slam into the ring, the left ramp shot would come screaming back at a very high velocity, and the targets would get slammed pretty hard. In addition to feeling I might break something, the shots just felt off from what I was used to. Over a longer play session the medium and high power coils heat up causing them to be less powerful (like the standard ones), but the initial play was too powerful for my liking.
It really all comes down to personal preference. I know people who have upgraded and swear by it. I also haven't heard of anyone breaking anything due to the upgraded coils, so it is probably just me.

Appreciate you taking the time to explain that. I think I will play it as is for now, but eventually, when I want to clean the game up a bit, I might also rebuild flippers with the stock one.

Can anyone confirm the coil that I would select from PBL: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3748

Thanks!

#2679 6 years ago
Quoted from talking_goat:

Regarding coil strength... I wonder how many people even tried changing the power setting in the adjustments menu before they swapped out the stock ones for the torqued up aftermarket ones? I never see it mentioned but it is definitely a setting that can be changed.
I have not yet personally had a problem with coil strength dropping during long games but I have gotten some PC case fans that I am going to install at some point just in case.

I did attempt to adjust those settings quite a bit. Several people on here mentioned their adjustments as well. However, on my machine it didn't help with the flipper fade on long sessions. I have heard that the fans do help quite a bit, but have yet to try using them.

#2680 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Appreciate you taking the time to explain that. I think I will play it as is for now, but eventually, when I want to clean the game up a bit, I might also rebuild flippers with the stock one.
Can anyone confirm the coil that I would select from PBL: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3748
Thanks!

The manual lists the following part number: 090-5020-20T. Note that Pinball Life has two different coils listed with this part number. The normal coil and the LOTR-specific one which is more powerful.

Also, I assume you have the original LOTR and not the limited edition (gold). The limited edition uses a different coil.

#2681 6 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Just bought this gem about a month ago. Pimped up the outside with brass and installed a few mods, also getting some cliffys soon (Gimli is in need especially!). I will add more later, but does anyone know where to find the Arwen plastic in the US for less than $50? I have the non-Arwen version, but it’s cracked because there was no diverter on the Path of the Dead to direct to the lane (I installed one now). I’d like to replace with Arwen.
One other thing, my Path of the dead is slightly tilted. Any good ideas on how to resolve? There isn’t a lot of room to prop the outside half up, which is what needs to happen. Wax did help quite a bit, though the game REALLY flies now lol.

Retro refurb has the Arwen or you’ll have to make your own :/ that thing is super rare now.

#2682 6 years ago

I cannot recommend the PBL LOTR coil, they are way to strong and will cause air balls galore. Others have experienced the same. The medium power coils sold here on Pinside shops are on my pin now and are perfect for the pin. Seriously, love PBL and their products, but their LOTR coils are not recommended.

#2683 6 years ago

I had the stronger coils on for a while, I wasn't getting airballs, but the ball moves much faster. I decided to go back to stock because I preferred the softer feel. I really don't have any issues making shots, even after long games, with the stock coils.

I still have a pair of the stronger coils if anyone is interested in them, $20 shipped in US. They don't have more than 30 games on them.

#2684 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I had the stronger coils on for a while, I wasn't getting airballs, but the ball moves much faster. I decided to go back to stock because I preferred the softer feel. I really don't have any issues making shots, even after long games, with the stock coils.
I still have a pair of the stronger coils if anyone is interested in them, $20 shipped in US. They don't have more than 30 games on them.

I was getting too many airballs and tweaked the flipper settings. This helped more than I expected.

#2685 6 years ago
Quoted from raz0red:

The manual lists the following part number: 090-5020-20T. Note that Pinball Life has two different coils listed with this part number. The normal coil and the LOTR-specific one which is more powerful.
Also, I assume you have the original LOTR and not the limited edition (gold). The limited edition uses a different coil.

Yes, I have a standard. I'm going to order the stock coils. No rush to change them, but eventually I'd like to.

Also, what slant do you guys have this game at? I put my digital torpedo level in the drain, so the center of it lands sort of where the slings start, and I get 6.5 degrees.

But the game plays fast! Wondering how you guys have your games playing.

#2686 6 years ago

Has anyone installed a mezelmods target splint on their Palantir target? I bought both the large and small version figuring one would fit and I'm not sure either will work...any tips?

#2687 6 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Has anyone installed a mezelmods target splint on their Palantir target? I bought both the large and small version figuring one would fit and I'm not sure either will work...any tips?

Yeah, take off the glass every ten games and push it back haha. Seriously though, please let us know if you figure out something... it drives me bonkers haha.

#2688 6 years ago

For the Palantir target (or most any Stern target that takes a beating and gets bent backwards), order 535-9823-01 from PinballLife. It's a replacement back plate that will not bend backwards. Put it on my Palantir target and its been rock solid.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1671

#2689 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Retro refurb has the Arwen or you’ll have to make your own :/ that thing is super rare now.

They were who I was referencing for the $50, but I just checked and it’s down to $35. Count me in now!

Considering one of their side decals now...

#2690 6 years ago

Anyone else have issues with balls getting stuck behind the Balrog in multiball?

#2691 6 years ago

Stuck behind balrog is good fortune...do you mean when he catches a fly ball?

#2692 6 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Stuck behind balrog is good fortune...do you mean when he catches a fly ball?

How many hits does it take to beat Balrog in the multiball?

And how many shots are required in the two other multiball modes? Doesn't seem to show anywhere.

#2693 6 years ago

I have a couple sets of LOTR plastics and a set of figurines. All of it is listed on ebay. 10% discount to any pinside buyers.

#2694 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

How many hits does it take to beat Balrog in the multiball?
And how many shots are required in the two other multiball modes? Doesn't seem to show anywhere.

You have to hit balrog then ramp 7(?)x

#2695 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You have to hit balrog then ramp 7(?)x

Man, this game is no joke! Makes you work for it!

How many shots are needed to beat each multiball?

Loving the game, but damn is it deep! Feel like I need to take a vacation just to learn the rules haha!

#2696 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Man, this game is no joke! Makes you work for it!
How many shots are needed to beat each multiball?
Loving the game, but damn is it deep! Feel like I need to take a vacation just to learn the rules haha!

All I know is when Gimli yells “SUPERRR JACKPOT” and orgasm laughs you’ve beaten RoTK and I think Two Towers. Fellowship is a real PiTA.

I need to read the rules, too. Only had it a few weeks. Just waxed it, too, talk about a lot going on!

#2697 6 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Quoted from AUKraut:

For the Palantir target (or most any Stern target that takes a beating and gets bent backwards), order 535-9823-01 from PinballLife. It's a replacement back plate that will not bend backwards. Put it on my Palantir target and its been rock solid.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1671

I think the main issue is the target(s) moving side to side. This happens on all my sterns, like TRON as well, freaking bad on tron. I did install the single splits on my games but have not taken the time to install the larger splints like the palantir target. It requires more disassembly than the smaller one.

#2698 6 years ago

Well I took a look at it again last night and figured it out. Using the larger 2 piece splint I only used the front half as the back would not be compatible with the back plate installed. The target is back in place and hopefully won’t move side to side much anymore.

2F4F885F-7023-46FA-944F-7B14022B55F0 (resized).jpeg2F4F885F-7023-46FA-944F-7B14022B55F0 (resized).jpeg

6F87C3D1-E52F-4A39-AB00-A57FFF67B965 (resized).jpeg6F87C3D1-E52F-4A39-AB00-A57FFF67B965 (resized).jpeg

#2699 6 years ago

If anyone is interested in joining the club, PM me...I'm considering selling/trading mine.

#2700 6 years ago

The earth shook violently and Gandalf shouted towards his pinball league “you shall not have long ball times!”

04A8EBB8-6FE1-4B3F-8EBC-F24A4E7ADDCE (resized).jpeg04A8EBB8-6FE1-4B3F-8EBC-F24A4E7ADDCE (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 205.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/54?hl=ryandimx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.