IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawknole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1615 6 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

my last panel 85,- euro inclusive shipping !!

Sold!

#1624 6 years ago

I have crystal clear mini post rubbers on my LOTR. I searched pinballife and titan and theirs are not crystal clear. Anybody know where I might find them as I need a few more. Thanks.

#1626 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is this it? Superbands clear flipper rubbers are close to crystal clear so I would assume the post sleeves would be as well.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3304

Thanks, I emailed Terry and asked if the transparent mini post rubbers were crystal clear.

#1630 6 years ago

Terry from pinballife confirmed clear, ordered up, thanks all

#1631 6 years ago

OK Middle Earth folk, I got my LOTR last weekend and I made a couple custom decals. To me, the palantir is not always an eye, hence the inviting palantir target decal; the first time I saw the Shire hole it felt like it should be a hobbit hole. So here you go:

IMG_0354 (resized).JPGIMG_0354 (resized).JPG

IMG_0353 (resized).JPGIMG_0353 (resized).JPG

#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Nice one. How do you make the decals printing wise?

Thanks, normally I use the vinyl matte inkjet stickers and then I laminate over the top with a laminate film. For the Shire hole I used a removable sticker then laminate because there was a clear protector underneath. Also, in case I want to change it out later it would be easier.

#1635 6 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Is there a good way to dim the elf ring led? Its blinding me. Like looking into headlights with the brights on.

Not sure what LED you mean, pics please. Either way, you could swap in a frosted LED. There is no way to dim that I know of.

#1637 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The ring-collection LEDs, between the flippers. They are SMD all on one board.

Ahh, then you need the ledocd.com board to customize that LED array. A costly upgrade for that one issue but if you are going to trick out your LOTR with LEDs it might be worth it. I have one in mine but I have not tinkered with it yet. If interested I would check with him first to make sure it actually controls that array as I do not see it listed in the CSV file for the LOTR config.

#1639 6 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Just put a thin piece of opaque diffuser film between the LED ring board and the playfield. Or use a blank piece of white paper, for a quick and cheap fix.

Simple and elegant, there I am overthinking it again. I saw some people had issues with that round piece that has the ring artwork on it, so approach with caution Bandit.

#1646 6 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

I like the way yours came out.
Here is a die cut decal we have to offer also if anyones interested.
https://www.pingraffix.com/customer-gallery?lightbox=dataItem-ioxylaid1

Cool, yours was the inspiration for my custom.

#1667 6 years ago

I completed my POTD mod yesterday. 3 figures acquired off eBay, clear acrylic with posts & green rubbers from pinbits, 3 green matrix light posts with 3 way splitter and some extensions from Comet tied into the rear left bulb. I am happy with the results.

IMG_20170703_235443 (resized).jpgIMG_20170703_235443 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170705_001648 (resized).jpgIMG_20170705_001648 (resized).jpg

#1669 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hawknole Thank you So much for this post! I was just putting all my pieces together to do the same setup next week. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on paying $250 for this mod. All in with the Pinbits setup and a flexible eBay seller I should have this done for roughly $75 with your helpful pictures. I do love the Comet Matrix setup, opens up many simple solutions. Thanks for the post and sharing your work! One question, in attaching it to the bulbs did you use their clamps or direct wire it? I was thinking to direct wire each lighted figure to their own bulb (3 of 4 green). Just curious how you made your final connection. Thanks!!!

Hey Yelobird, I used a bayonet matrix quick connect into a bulb hole with a 6" matrix extension. That bulb was basically hidden in the rear left of the playfield, under a little plastic piece. I then tucked the wire with a velcro wire strip behind the ring back panel. The lights flash with the playfield so it works well. I also drilled some holes (not pictured) in the 2 brown bases aligned with 2 or 3 of the matirx LEDs, no need to drill all 4 and be careful of placement due to the stand and light. I might diffuse the light a little in the front figure.
Also, those cables need to be taped to the top of the clear acrylic so the ball can fit. I then tied the 3 way splitter wires to the back of the left rear figure to keep them tight to the acrylic. If you have other questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.

#1673 6 years ago

Make an offer, you pay shipping of your choice. Shoot me a PM.

IMG_0378 (resized).JPGIMG_0378 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1676 6 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

And then...I was in the club!
Found this virtually untouched LOTR on Atl Craigslist. In an incredible mansion basement 5 miles from me. Owner said it was bought new by house seller, who sold it with the house back in 2003-2004. Couple hundred plays. Looks brand new.
So...what do I need?!? Code? Fixes? Mods? I do notice that balls in left lane on Path of the Dead stays left and fall into left trough area instead of hitting rail ramp.
Thanks!!

Welcome to the club. I really do enjoy this machine. The pin looks good. Not sure on code. Mods are solely up to you. My guess is it does not have LEDs so some warm whites from Comet should do the trick. I added some colored ones here and there for effect, most noticeably I colored the fellowship members like others have. I added Legolas, Gimli & Boromir figures above the playfield near their spots. I also added the POTD acyrlic and figures. There are a couple options you have for the ball travel on the Paths of the Dead. There is a plastic diverter that will always send it to the habitrail. I did not go with that option as I like the ball randomly dropping in the Shire hole. Instead when I got my LOTR the final screw in the POTD plastic closest to the Shire along the cabinet was replaced with a longer screw and 2 clear bumpers. I really like the way this plays as I have removed this twice and put it back in both times. I also added the clear ramp from Australia over Arwen.

LOTR (resized).jpgLOTR (resized).jpg

#1680 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's supposed to. There is a souls payout when it lands there which you miss when you ride the rails. There should still be a plastic/drop protector out there for purchase, I read someone else bought the mold and rights.

Yep, Mike from Australia makes the new & improved POTD/Arwen ramp now. His pinside name is Time Bandit.

2 weeks later
2 weeks later
#1807 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

While the sound quality overall of LotR is not high, mine does not crackle like that.
A previous owner installed Flipper Fidelity speakers on my LotR, but I don't think that affects crackle greatly. It just gives me a lot of bass and probably a little extra range.
It seems like a poor connection would give crackle like that. Check the solder connections at all 3 speakers, and reseat the speaker connector at the board.

I had poor sound quality on my front panel speakers when the volume was low, then read through this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-scratchy-sound
I verified all plugs then installed a mono LPAD with volume control for the fronts, turned the volume to about 35% and it is much better. Added a pinnovators pinsub board and a Polk sub and my sound is now greatly improved. I am still looking for the dual plugs that connect the front speakers to the audio board to clean up my install, I just don't know the correct size to order from GPE.

#1819 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I always thought they were called habitrails.

+1

1 week later
#1832 6 years ago

I confirmed a noise with the switch next to my ring ramp (aka Frodo ramp). That micro switch makes a strange noise occasionally when activated. It is a low buzz, almost sounds like a short. It doesn't happen every time the switch is engaged and nothing seems adversely effected, just the noise doesn't sound right. Does anybody else have such a noise? If this is normal then I won't bother to replace the switch. Or is there some adjustment I can make to the switch?

#1835 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

That switch triggers the ring magnet. Do you think that could be what you are hearing?

OK, I believe that, thanks for the help.

4 weeks later
#1925 6 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

I'm not familiar with the mod

Jay's palantir mod is one of the best mods for LOTR. He only makes a few in each batch and only makes a couple batches a year so they are hard to get. Jay is a good guy and a positive force for pinball in the greater Philly area and pinside.

#1931 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have not seen any mods for that but note that the bulb should be a red coated flasher bulb rather than a clear flasher.

I tried an SMD red flasher there and I went back to the red coated flasher because I thought it looked better. It is the only incandescent bulb in my LOTR. As for a mod, I have not seen one either, not really sure how you could tie something into the bulb socket.

1 week later
#1951 6 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

I have one at the end of my path of the dead. Helps the ball into the habitrail and from dropping on the plastic. Doesn't stop all the drops but keeps them to a minimum. Not sure it's suppose to be there but I like it. It is a little tight to the wall...but not a big deal.

I just have 2 crystal clear rubbers on a longer screw at the end of my POTD and am very happy with the way it works. I have taken them off twice and missed them both times and quickly put them back on. As a side note, I am also using the Arwen clear ramp and the ball still goes down the ramp into the Shire on occasion.

#1956 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Could you post a picture of your setup that you described ? Both the 2 crystal clear rubbers on a longer screw at the end of my POTD and the clear ramp. I am having a hard time picturing how this would work.

Here you go, double crystal clear rubbers from Pinball Life circled in yellow and the Arwen ramp.

Arwen ramp bumpers (resized).jpgArwen ramp bumpers (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2015 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Based on what I’ve read on this forum over the past year that I’ve been here, it seems that the vast majority of people that get rid of their LOTR end up regretting it. I hear that with this particular game more than any other. IMO, it’s a special game that was made at a special time. It doesn’t feel as though any corners were cut and I get the sense that every effort was made by Stern to produce a quality game. That’s something you can’t really say about most games. This one is a keeper.

Agreed, LOTR is a great game. Deep rule set, satisfying shots, excellent software and super callouts.

1 week later
#2048 6 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

hi guys is it possible to install longer times for the modes like war of the ents, gandalf vs saruman, etc. or is the standard of 30 sec. fix?
best regards ralf

I don’t think so, during gameplay though obviously you can extend with certain shots.

1 month later
#2338 6 years ago

Unconscious the other night on DTR...

79E0225D-CDE9-4AA6-B000-6AEF68654209 (resized).jpeg79E0225D-CDE9-4AA6-B000-6AEF68654209 (resized).jpeg

#2343 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I installed a longer screw and put a couple (2) of post rubbers on it. This gives me no knock and the cabinet isn't getting damaged anymore.

Pics please...

#2348 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I have my LOTR set up on (2 ball) 'Destroy the Ring ' It is harder but so cool. May be changed in the features adjustment . What did you gents set your DTR to on your LOTR ? 1 or 2 pinball ?

1 for me for now.

1 week later
#2409 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I bought my LOTR 500 Limited edition in January 2010 from JJ . I let it sit in GEX warehouse for a year in the box before I picked it up. Lazy. I scoured the internet for figurines. I was (one) and done basically . I bought like 25 'Play Along Toys' LOTR figurines. I had great intentions . Crappy follow through . I wanted to mount all of them with hobby screws and gold stand offs .
I mounted Gandalf on Shadowfax direct to the plastic With help from the manager of Hobby Town . Look great . But the rest are still in the boxes. I will add that I did mount on the Plastics above the right sword ramp the larger Wrath on a evil horse with Velcro as a TEST and the plastic would bounce from the weight of the Figurine . I was annoyed . Took it off and that was the end of my Play a Long toy LOTR mounting adventure Need onwallst to fire up his Porsche and road trip to Co. Springs for assistance !!

Let me know if you need some pics

1 week later
#2443 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Cool, thanks. Figured it was more of a combo shot that I was overlooking.
Glad to join the club on this awesome game. Really does feel more like a quest than an average game of pinball.
Only thing I don't like about it is the Shire upkicker sound. GROINNNNNNNNK. Shire pig? haha

I think it is a Cave Troll grunt, my dog makes that noise so it makes me laugh

1 week later
#2474 6 years ago

Welcome to the LOTR club, a great game. Now it is time to start working towards Valinor.

3 weeks later
#2544 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The finishing touch: sillyoldelf's art blades for my LOTR!!

Here is the list of things done since the day I bought her last July 4th:
Repairs
Power Driver Board repair - Done
Ring Mode Opto - Done
Diverter adjustment - Done
Translite lift channel - Done
Replace Backbox lock - Done
Replace Ring plastic - Done
Replace Tiltbob - Done
Replace Palantir Target - Done
Flatten playfield plastic - Done
Replace yellow dome - Done
New Ball Trough - Done
Clean and polish playfield - Done
Refinish metal lane guides - Done
Mods
Cliffys Protectors - Done
Titan Silicone Rings -Done
LEDs - Done
LEDOCD - Done
LED GIZmo - Done
NVRAM - Done
Pinbits Plastic Protecters - Done
Arwen protector - Done
Path of the Dead Arwen Diverter - Done
Flipper Coil upgrade - Done
Ring cone plastic - Done
Ring Ramp Post Kit - Done
Army of the Dead - Done
Target Decals - Done
Sword Tip Decal - Done
Missing Gimli, Legolas, Boromir - Done
Solid Lock bar and Lollipops - Done
Black T-Molding - Done
Palantir Mod - Done
ColorDMD - Done
Invisiglass - Done
Flipper Fidelity Speakers - Done
Speaker Ring and Lights - Done
Backbox LEDs - Done
Backbox Flasher - Done
Spare Driver Board - Done
Side blades - Done
Well, almost done, been thinking about Pinsound........LOL!!!

Looking good. Gimli, Legolas & Boromir were not included in any LOTR pin, they are mods. You may consider a Sauron figure in the back right. The Uruk Hai back there bothered me because they are not part of Barad Dur but rather Orthanc.

87367D7C-E40E-4F7D-83DA-B83372EDFE59 (resized).jpeg87367D7C-E40E-4F7D-83DA-B83372EDFE59 (resized).jpeg

#2547 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Correct, that's why I have them in the Mod list, since they were missing from the figures included by Stern...
Hadn't considered Sauron, may do that swap.....

Gotcha. I moved that Uruk Hai at Barad Dur down near the shooter lane as he was better IMO than the other one with no sword.

Replaced my Shire Y switch today as the metal/plastic broke off last night. Also added some foam to the bottom of Orthanc on either side. There was a small piece of foam in the middle, took that off as the ball never really hit it & the outsides of the bottom front are what get slammed with the ball bouncing off from the flipper shots when open.

#2549 6 years ago

OK, I need some help please. I replaced my Shire Y switch with a new switch because the metal Y broke off. I was attempting to adjust the old switch as it was not responding. The new switch worked fine for a couple games and then no response. I fiddled with it a little then got some intermittent response and now back to nothing. Bad switch or something else and if so what? I reseated the closest connector as well.

#2552 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'd check the solder joints on your new switch. Maybe you have a cold spot or the connection is bad.

Quoted from flynnibus:

test with your hand first... also make sure you aren't over tightening the screws as that will cause the switch to bind.
test with finger... then adjust the rotation of the switch when mounted to ensure the armature moves enough to make the switch click. bend forks if needed to get more travel.

Much appreciated, I will check all that. Thank you.....a few hours later...I pulled out the switch, resoldered one of the joints as it looked less than optimal by me and screwed the switch back in snug but not too tight. Tested the switch manually and played a couple games, good to go, thanks again.

1 month later
#2666 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Again with the Gimli VUK Switch topic haha:
My super low plays LOTR LE has an intermittent gimli switch. Maybe 60% of the time it registers but otherwise can sit in there with no response. I'm guessing the micro switch is fine(but maybe not?). I have a spare switch. But would rather adjust the fork actuator and save $10 if I can. Anybody had luck with adjusting the original actuator?

Bending the Y switch up a little worked a couple times for me and then I broke one side of the plastic off in the Shire hole. Luckily, I had spares. You can also loosen the screws that hold the switch in because if they are too tight the switch can bind and have intermittent problems as discussed earlier in this thread.

1 week later
#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

One....shot....from....VALINOR. I had it all, I had probably 11 gifts, my mutliballs completed, TABA, DTR shots made, ball hanging, smacked it! It shook and rattled around but not enough to free it. I drained trying about 4-5 more shots at it. All before 7am.
Sickening.

Nice job. Closer than I have gotten so far. ROTK multiball continues to be my achilles heel. I have had the rest.

2 weeks later
#2826 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Kinda random, but I started looking around for some figures and came across this. Perfect fit imo. Sorry random Urukhai guarding Mordor...

Yup, I put Sauron here too, this should have been stock.

#2831 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is a removable mod, so do what you want to make yourself happy.

Better than the Uruk-hai who is a product of Isengard.

#2833 5 years ago

There is a Mouth of Sauron figure that is an Armies of Middle Earth toy that appears in the movies, it might not fit in that corner though.

#2873 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Just got a pinsound and installed it. Any recommendations for sound files beyond the one on the Pinsound forums? Also, as this is my first Pinsound, do I have to keep the USB permanently inserted in the board, or does it download the audio onto ram somewhere on the board? I find the instructions to be a bit lacking, though it’s quite possible I am missing them being somewhere.
Thanks all!
Edit - I see TheWool made one with positive reviews. Any others?

I am working on a mix but it is not quite ready for prime time and I would call it more unconventional.

#2879 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I think the ones I have are the right ones?

I have orange star posts that I purchased from Pinball Life in my slings and clear protectors under the plastics. No concerns.

posts (resized).jpgposts (resized).jpg

#2884 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

I actually tried the other one first. I’ll PM TheWool to see if he’s had others say the same.

Yes, since you are using the pinsound board, volumes on tracks can fluctuate from very loud to very soft. The new version of pinsound studio being released soon is supposed to help manage that. For now, I am using gain.txt files in certain folders. The loud files get a lower setting between 1 & 4. The original sound files from the game are mono and low quality and don't need a gain.txt file in their folder.
Sound track files that the Wool and the OST (Original Sound Track) are using are stereo and higher quality, think remastered music. I have been working with the original files and basically remastering some of them. However, since LOTR has about 1300 individual tracks this is no small undertaking until the new version of pinsound studio comes out. We shall see, I still may remaster all the originals that I put into my mix.

Added over 6 years ago: 1300 items including folders, my mistake

#2887 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Great, thanks for the info. Glad I’m not crazy. Using headphones helps a bit, it never gets too soft that way.
If you do end up releasing something to help alleviate the issue, please let us know!
BTW, my issue with Wool’s is that Pinsound is simply not recognizing it on my USB, even when there are no other soundtracks on the USB. Not sure why, I’ve sent him a PM.

I will let you fellow LOTRers know when I post my mix.
Did you try just putting The Wool zip file on the USB and let the pinsound board process the zip file? I have had the most success with that when updating my personal mix.

1 week later
#2947 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

» YouTube video
The music is fantastic sounding, but the call outs have to be the old ones, so they still sound compressed.

The mix in this video sounds like the OST mix which is a serious upgrade to the music. The Wool Mix is very good and takes it to the next level. The Wool has eliminated some of the more repetitive callouts, however, where they are kept in, for the most part, they are still the original legacy callouts.

With the pinsound+ board I get varying volume levels which I have communicated to The Wool, who has been responsive, so kudos to him. Also, I have communicated this to Nicolas at Pinsound and he informs me that a new version of the Pinsound studio is coming out soon that will help with leveling.

I have logged many hours (30+) on my own mix, so far so good, getting closer. I do have in my mind to upgrade all the callouts, however, I would like to see what the new pinsound studio can provide. I have toyed with 'remastering' the original callouts with Audacity but this is a one by one approach, is time consuming and I have had mixed results to this point. I did also discuss batch normalizing all the files with Nicolas and he did not recommend this, most likely due to the fact that some sounds should be lower or higher, not totally sure.

#2983 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Heads up to all those on my list that ordered the Mt.Doom mod; they all have shipped! If you haven’t already received your mod, look for it to arrive soon.
Man, that sure was fun designing something sweet for LotR - looking forward to my next mod for this pin. Thanks for all the really great feedback I received from many of you. Pinside has a great, passionate community for mod makers
For those that didn’t make the list - you can buy it here on Pinside or my website starting today!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/01650-lighted-volcano-mod-for-mt-doom-lord-of-the-rings-pinball
https://www.pinworlds.com/lotr-volcano-mod

Installed my Mt Doom mod and had a friend over to play some LOTR and he noticed Mt Doom right away and commented on how he liked it. Kudos PinballCharlie

2 weeks later
#3050 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

More
Hold up, you know you can put the original soundtrack for LoTR on a Pinsound, right? Same thing, just much better quality sound.
Here’s the download link:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/206-lord_of_the_rings_original/
I currently have 3 lotr tracks on my Pinsound: The original, the Pinsound mix, and The Wool’s mix. I like them all, hard time deciding. You can switch between them easily, especially if you have the mounted headphone set.

How do you switch between the mixes on pinsound?

#3053 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I've noticed a lot of games have the Galdalf on his horse figure, but mine has this one. Anyone know why?

I saw an explanation somewhere that the later LOTR's had that Gandalf. Maybe they ran out of stock. I think you can still find Gandalf the White on eBay if interested, try searching Gandalf AOME.

1 month later
#3171 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Does this make any sense...
Tracing the speaker wires, it looks like CN4 is where it all connects.
The kit I got from PinballPro has a molex with 4 female contacts, but CN4 has 6 pins.
However, when I look at the factory molex, it the bottom two spots on the molex are unused, so in actuality, only 4 pinsare used.
Does this look right?
[quoted image]

Are you adding new speakers? My guess is this will be fine. If memory serves me correctly, SP3 originally ran to the cabinet and SP2 ran to the the speaker panel via a mono split.

#3172 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Is anyone still making a left (legolas) ramp air ball protector? Not the one that comes from the factory, but near the path of the dead?
Like this guy:[quoted image]

This might suffice...

36EB50A4-3327-4E24-A122-77C61DCC54CD (resized).jpeg36EB50A4-3327-4E24-A122-77C61DCC54CD (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#3452 5 years ago

Hi all, FYI, I am very close to releasing my PinSound+ mix for LOTR. Some final tweaks, working with the PinSound guys & getting their feedback. Not a great video but here is a sneak peek...

1 week later
2 weeks later
#3528 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I just bought an external Polk subwoofer for my LOTR, and the Pinnovators hardware to attach it to the game. Do I need the updated files discussed above? I don't have a problem with the stock callouts and music, because I'm not really familiar with the movies. That being said, do I need the other sound packages, and if I try it and don't like it, how easy is it to change it back?
Also, is there a youtube video showing how to properly attach an external speaker to LOTR? I don't want to mess it up.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yup, what Zap said above. The Pinnovators card makes it super easy to hook up a sub. The installation manual is indeed on the pinnovator site. Link here:
http://pinnovators.com/manuals/PINsub_Installation_Manual_Version_1p2.pdf
I am using the pinnovators stuff on all my Stern machines. I first started with just the sub hookup and I moved to the headphone setup on the door which is totally separate hardware and a great way to get totally immersed.

1 week later
#3588 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The website for redshift says "the store is closed until January". I sent him an email asking on an ETA to be able to order one and haven't received a reply. timebandit ?

This is a great mod. I wouldn't mind ordering another one for a backup.

#3609 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I installed Cliffy's to protect the shooter lane and now most of the time, my auto-plunger fails to plunge the ball far enough to exit the lane. The ball seems to catch on something near the plunger and falls back onto the plunger which is a pain during multi-ball as multiple balls get stuck there. I can manually plunge the ball without issues. Did I install something incorrectly?
[quoted image]

Check the lip of the Cliffy at the trough exit, if it extends pass the wood that could be your issue.

1 month later
#3944 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Folks that made the POTD mod themselves, how did you attach the green led lights to the figures? Tape them on or drill them in the actual figure?

Matrix post light underneath with a screw up into the figure, holds everything together.
https://www.cometpinball.com/4-SMD-6-3V-LIGHTED-POST-LIGHT-p/mtxpost.htm

#3947 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I am assuming green is the color I want for these?

Yes, green is what I used. I did not use the brown base for the King but did for the other 2 figures. Because of this I did not need all 4 lights on the King's post light and per a suggestion from Comet just broke two of the lights off. I know, it did not seem like the best solution at the time but it ended up working out. I did cut some small holes in the brown base of the other 2 to let the light shine up. Those wires need to be taped snug underneath to avoid the ball getting stuck.
POTD Above (resized).JPGPOTD Above (resized).JPGPOTD Under (resized).jpgPOTD Under (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4013 5 years ago

I recently shared a new PinSound mix available for Download from the PinSound Community. Based on some feedback, I have revised my original LOTR hawknole mix and taken out all non-LOTR music. I sourced some new LOTR music and made some minor tweaks to some of the existing sound files.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/268-lotr-hawknole-pure/

#4015 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

What type of non-LOTR music did you have in the mix? I have been playing with it for a while and nothing comes to mind but maybe I just didn't notice or maybe I'm confusing the three different mixes I have on it.

My first mix has some Led Zeppelin: Moby Dick drums for Balrog intro, Misty Mountain Hop and Ramble On for multiball

2 months later
#4325 4 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Restore done. I’m happy[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good. I like LOTR with the ColorDMD LED. I tried the LCD & went back to the LED. LCD looks great on titles like Star Trek.

3 weeks later
#4390 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

They look like this, and I’ve seen them advertised for sale on Pinside in the past. Hopefully it’s ok to post this. I found this one for sale on the website that rhymes with B-Flay! I can’t remember who offered it here. I will check my receipt...[quoted image]

I purchased this coil from a pinside shop and installed them, happy with the performance.

1 month later
#4635 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Looking for a pointer to help - I'm sure it's been discussed, but my searches on Pinside and bookmarks aren't showing anything.
Yesterday, while my wife was playing, the sound started to go wonky. Screeching, static, and sometimes the callouts were high pitched (sped up, or like they had sucked in helium). This happened a lot during modes, but also all the time. So the music/callouts were mostly there, but garbled and distorted. Kept going for a couple games.
Turned off overnight, and played a test game this morning. All sound worked fine - no problems.
Online I found lots of problems with no sound or static at lower levels, but not this problem, although I feel like I've read about it before. Anyone have links to a discussion?
1) Is this something normally solved by a reboot?
2) Is this the start of further sound issues?
3) If so, will Pinsound solve it?
I've been looking for an excuse to install Pinsound, but with Wonka being delivered soon, I was hoping to delay Pinsound expense a little longer.
Thanks!

Could be something is loose, check the back box

#4637 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Thanks for the suggestion hawknole . I watched Pinsound Whitestar install video to see where sound connectors were located, and made sure they were all pushed in. I then checked all connectors in backbox. Most were not obviously loose, but a couple did tighten. I also checked the sound ROM, made sure it was seated well, and used compressed air to blow out any dust (it wasn't too dirty).
Sadly, the sound problems now seem to come and go every game. Examples in the YouTube videos below. Anyone else seen problems like this, and know how to fix them (or a link to the post/discussion on Pinside)? If PinSound is the answer, I'll get on their wait list, as Whitestar is out of stock, with expected build at the end of this month.
This video has squeaky and static sound for first ~10 sec, then OK sound for ~11 seconds.:

This video has bad sound at 10-14 seconds:

Strange, maybe the sound ROM is bad or has a corroded leg. PinSound might fix it or there could be an underlying problem with a board. If this was a Williams pin then the PinSound is a full out replacement for the sound board but in the case of Whitestar it piggy backs off a slot. If that piggy back area is bad it won’t solve your issue. I would try to resolve the issue first if possible. The Whitestar sound is less than desirable for sure so PinSound is a great upgrade, just don’t want you chasing gremlins after buying it.

1 month later
#4852 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I joined the club on Sunday with a slightly tatty machine but everything plays great. My Palantir target is leaning badly, does anyone know if the "Stern pinball target support" on Thingiverse fits it?

I have an alternate support, pinbits maybe but same concept, and my target still moves to the left a little.

2 weeks later
#4933 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I have the army of the dead figures just sitting around, is there a light and mounting kit available somewhere?

Try pinbits

2 months later
#5382 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Will wait until next year, though, because my sound board died a few months ago, and I installed PinSound to solve the problem rather than repair the board. I really like the PinSound options and the headphone jack. Yeah, I know it might be "best" to get the board fixed first....

Nah, you did the right thing going to PinSound, the Whitestar stock sound is just so bad IMHO

2 years later
#8164 2 years ago
Quoted from blazingsaddlz:

I picked up a nice LOTR about a week ago. I'm having an issue with the VUK, shire kicker, and the upper right tower. It's happening during multiballs where 2 or more balls are sitting on the switch, the game doesn't register that there are any balls there. Eventually when I drain the remaining balls during the multiball, the game will go into ball search mode and kick them out. Is there a switch adjustment that I need to do?

Search mode is different than switch detection. Go into Diagnostics Switch test and test those switches first. If they don't fire in test then they may need to be replaced. The Shire and Gimli hole are common switches that need to be replaced. I have not heard as much about the rear right tower, test that switch as well. Then go from there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawknole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.