IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipsmcgee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2674 6 years ago

Just bought this gem about a month ago. Pimped up the outside with brass and installed a few mods, also getting some cliffys soon (Gimli is in need especially!). I will add more later, but does anyone know where to find the Arwen plastic in the US for less than $50? I have the non-Arwen version, but it’s cracked because there was no diverter on the Path of the Dead to direct to the lane (I installed one now). I’d like to replace with Arwen.

One other thing, my Path of the dead is slightly tilted. Any good ideas on how to resolve? There isn’t a lot of room to prop the outside half up, which is what needs to happen. Wax did help quite a bit, though the game REALLY flies now lol.

#2689 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Retro refurb has the Arwen or you’ll have to make your own :/ that thing is super rare now.

They were who I was referencing for the $50, but I just checked and it’s down to $35. Count me in now!

Considering one of their side decals now...

#2696 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Man, this game is no joke! Makes you work for it!
How many shots are needed to beat each multiball?
Loving the game, but damn is it deep! Feel like I need to take a vacation just to learn the rules haha!

All I know is when Gimli yells “SUPERRR JACKPOT” and orgasm laughs you’ve beaten RoTK and I think Two Towers. Fellowship is a real PiTA.

I need to read the rules, too. Only had it a few weeks. Just waxed it, too, talk about a lot going on!

#2703 6 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thank you for asking - and sadly no answers as yet.
I was just playing mine - same thing. Every ring shot registered for mode start - magnet held the ball, then got to DTR, hit all the lit shots, lit the ring again, and went though that sucker about 5 times scoring 1 mil each time, but no progress towards destroying it. Any ideas?

I think you two have different issues. He can’t get the ball through easily, which is common enough without the magnet. You are getting yours through, but it’s not registering? I’ve never heard of that problem personally.

EDIT - LOL I just got totally lost in here and reaponded to a 4-year old post. Saving for posterity.

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Unfortunately I have to let my baby go...
Anyone want a nice LOTR?

Machine - For Sale
Lord of the Rings with PinsoundNew!Fully shopped/refurbished “I have a pretty nice LOTR for trade/sale.

Overall nice cabinet, only a few minor scratches
Playfield shows no wear
all the plastics are intact
Pinsound board installed and working...”
1 day ago Tehachapi, CA 5,300 (OBO)
uncivil_engineer

Dang, great price for everything there, especially the pinsound.

GLWS!

#2733 5 years ago

Just added one of these a couple weeks ago, here it is! Got the Color DMD LED for this one, but need the Pinsound. Seems they are sold out for now?

4E72BB0A-D984-41A3-A027-ED27B305BD1A (resized).jpeg4E72BB0A-D984-41A3-A027-ED27B305BD1A (resized).jpeg

20CBE814-FF50-4DDF-9089-354DF0609A6F (resized).jpeg20CBE814-FF50-4DDF-9089-354DF0609A6F (resized).jpeg

DF2F6426-9D69-44AB-A5F3-AD8C372CDE62 (resized).jpegDF2F6426-9D69-44AB-A5F3-AD8C372CDE62 (resized).jpeg

ACBA6BB0-B356-455D-AFC2-592B252FD890 (resized).jpegACBA6BB0-B356-455D-AFC2-592B252FD890 (resized).jpeg

#2754 5 years ago

So I’ve had this about a month and am starting to figure it all out. Just caught on today that the flippers control ring mode, which is neat.

Two things I have not figured out: What controls the length of the multiball sessions? Some of them last until 2 or 3 balls land in the trough and others go for 5+ minutes and what seems like 100 balls. Is it the number of rings collected prior to starting the multiball session?

Second: What triggers There and Back Again? A successful DTR and then a ring shot?

Thanks!

#2757 5 years ago

Appreciate it.

I wonder if my multiball settings aren’t on factory or something. It seems much more random. I’ve noticed the “add a ball,” but figured that added a fourth, not that it kept me going for minutes on end cycling through ball after ball.

#2758 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

WTB: Left slingshot plastic (if anyone has a spare, to spare?)

You mean the plastic squareish thing that hangs over the Shire? I will have an extra soon, if so. I bought a modded one today.

#2768 5 years ago

Damn! Definitely would have been in on one. I will keep my eyes open.

#2790 5 years ago

Sounds like the weight of one ball isn’t activating the trigger. Try bending it down a bit?

#2793 5 years ago

SWEEEEEET

#2814 5 years ago

Kinda random, but I started looking around for some figures and came across this. Perfect fit imo. Sorry random Urukhai guarding Mordor...

2C7A0964-386B-4937-9190-DB278E4E8498 (resized).jpeg2C7A0964-386B-4937-9190-DB278E4E8498 (resized).jpeg
89AA7D48-40F7-4FDA-8DCB-7B6000F01AC3 (resized).jpeg89AA7D48-40F7-4FDA-8DCB-7B6000F01AC3 (resized).jpeg

#2815 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yup, a worn out, dirty, non functioning, hacked, faded, incomplete, abused pin could still be called HUO by defenition.

Good luck figuring out which LOTR are faded, given the huge variance in color schemes! I guess if it’s bright blue you know it isn’t lol...

#2821 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

I just added him last night too

Nice, you got the sword and original mace. I saw one of just Sauron on Ebay for $20 that is missing those pieces and snatched it up. There’s another on Amazon that has the weapons, but it came in a set for $50, and I didn’t want the others. I do like yours a bit better, though.

#2835 5 years ago

Speaking of Isildur, here’s the set that has the Sauron I put in. I saw just Sauron on Ebay for $20 and snatched it instead. The set is $50, there is only one available.

One other note, I cut a portion of the base off the figure so that nothing hangs over. It was easy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009KO8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aGm9AbACF17ZJ

Sauron is also in the epilogue of Fellowship, so I had no qualms putting him in.

#2840 5 years ago

Anyone use a trough light? It so, what color? Green looks good, just not sure if it’s overdoing the color, given the PoTD mod.

#2842 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

I have the yellow one that lermods sells for the Hobbit, looks great keeping the gold theme. I did put a white one in my Getaway to brighten it up and that also would probably look really good.

Gold is a great idea, and I’m a fan of LerMods. Thank you much, just placed an order!

#2852 5 years ago

For those who have the Gandalf staff mod, I’m curious as to whether you wire it to a permanent bulb or a flasher? Obviously a matter of preference, but curious about how others feel.

Also, lazy question, but can I set the Isengard popper to a lower level in the menu? The balls smash the shit out of my side panel, so I’ve put in some ugly fix for now. If I can’t change the settings, I’ll buy some of the putty over at pinbits. It’s black and will blend right in.

#2861 5 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

What have people used to keep the staff in Gandalf’s hand?

It snaps right in. I was afraid to use some muscle at first, too, but I gathered the courage and it fits perfectly. Just avoid getting the snaked wiring on staff caught.

#2872 5 years ago

Just got a pinsound and installed it. Any recommendations for sound files beyond the one on the Pinsound forums? Also, as this is my first Pinsound, do I have to keep the USB permanently inserted in the board, or does it download the audio onto ram somewhere on the board? I find the instructions to be a bit lacking, though it’s quite possible I am missing them being somewhere.

Thanks all!

Edit - I see TheWool made one with positive reviews. Any others?

#2874 5 years ago

Awesome, I will be tracking!

#2880 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Oh. Where would I find that? And does it sound good using this option?

Also tracking this...

Got the Pinsound set up! For some reason, I can’t get other sound files to work, but the one I loaded from Pinsound works great and is a HUGE improvement! Must have for any lotr owner, given sound is the one not-minor issue with this pin imo.

Also got the Mt. Doom mod...love it!

EAC1E0BF-C563-49AE-AE26-634AEEFC5A9F (resized).jpegEAC1E0BF-C563-49AE-AE26-634AEEFC5A9F (resized).jpeg

742217AD-EA3A-41CF-AF4B-F9B8E0AFD4CF (resized).jpeg742217AD-EA3A-41CF-AF4B-F9B8E0AFD4CF (resized).jpeg

#2882 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

My memory is the whitestar setup currently doesn't allow to change between mixes. Just load your favorite

I actually tried the other one first. I’ll PM TheWool to see if he’s had others say the same.

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Yes, since you are using the pinsound board, volumes on tracks can fluctuate from very loud to very soft. The new version of pinsound studio being released soon is supposed to help manage that. For now, I am using gain.txt files in certain folders. The loud files get a lower setting between 1 & 4. The original sound files from the game are mono and low quality and don't need a gain.txt file in their folder.
Sound track files that the Wool and the OST (Original Sound Track) are using are stereo and higher quality, think remastered music. I have been working with the original files and basically remastering some of them. However, since LOTR has about 1300 individual tracks this is no small undertaking until the new version of pinsound studio comes out. We shall see, I still may remaster all the originals that I put into my mix.

Great, thanks for the info. Glad I’m not crazy. Using headphones helps a bit, it never gets too soft that way.

If you do end up releasing something to help alleviate the issue, please let us know!

BTW, my issue with Wool’s is that Pinsound is simply not recognizing it on my USB, even when there are no other soundtracks on the USB. Not sure why, I’ve sent him a PM.

#2889 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Under Feature Adjustments, setting #26, set to NO to disable the auto adjusting of volume during particular game situations.

SWEET, thanks for that!

Just to confirm, I assume by “NO,” you mean “0,” correct? It’s a 0-10 scale.

#2893 5 years ago

Played a 70 minute game last night, and completed everything but Two Towers and RoTK multiball. Had 6 gifts, but obviously that jumps to 7 with the multiball completions. I need to figure out better methods for the two latter multiball.

#2895 5 years ago

TTT doesn’t constantly replenish the balls for me like FoTR. Maybe I’m missing something. I need to re-read the rules.

#2896 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

That looks sweeeet with Sauron there! I was hoping someone would post a pic with Mt.Doom and Sauron.
Did you have any trouble accessing the machine screws to get the wireform off the backboard? Looks like it might be tough to get a nut driver in there.

Forgot to answer this! It was a bit tight, but my ratchet ser has a thing extender that makes it easy. Whole install took maybe ten minutes.

#2899 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If the game is adding balls to the multi-ball for what seems to be an extended amount of time then that is often because of a trough opto board problem.
There is usually about 10 seconds of ball save for the multi-balls and then after that only one or two ways to add a ball one time.

Well, that is certainly interesting. It happens to me, but only during Fellowship. What’s the fix?

Edit - Looks like replacements can be had for $30. I will tinker with them then replace if need be.

Thanks!

#2907 5 years ago

Hey guys, I think my opto boards are busted lol:

4EC2A306-21C2-4DF3-AD4D-8D285679B74A (resized).jpeg4EC2A306-21C2-4DF3-AD4D-8D285679B74A (resized).jpeg

#2908 5 years ago

There’s definitely something off for me, more seriously. Sometimes the “Shoot Again” light flashes for a minute during multiball, sometimes not really at all. Sometimes balls kick back out even when it isn’t flashing. I dunno. I took them out and cleaned to no avail, I will replace next.

If that’s not it, any ideas?

#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

How the hell did you put that score up???
I played almost an hour the other day and ended up with 305M!

I got to Valinor and the balls kept popping back up so I played Valinor for 15 minutes lol.

Then I played again right after and everything functioned normally. I dunno...

1 week later
#2996 5 years ago

So what do I do with this file? I downloaded the .rar file directly on to my USB (not in any folders) and my Pinsound doesn't recognize it at all. I have the one from the Pinsound website already loaded and working, not sure if that impacts anything. Do I need to do something else with the file in order for it to be recognized? I can't remember for certain, but I think I actually downloaded the Wool file BEFORE I used the one from the Pinsound website and had the same issue, so I don't think it's a matter of just having the other file on the USB. It's just not recognizing it for some reason. Do I need to change the file format to something other than .rar?

Also, on a different topic, does anyone use the Pinduino with LoTR? I'm basically done with all my modding but the LED stuff, which I'm just learning up on now. I know it's expensive, but I really love the look of the PinballBulbs LED stuff and I'm going to buy an LED OCD, but wanted to check in to see if people have opinions on the Pinduino, whether it works fine with other LED kits, or whether it's good/bad on its own. I suppose it's a matter of preference, but I have no perspective whatsoever, so anything is appreciated as always!

#2998 5 years ago

Removing the Gandalf plastics doesn’t take long at all, maybe 3-5 minutes. Recommend just doing that.

#3000 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

so I assume he's not glued in then? I didn't want to start pulling on it if it's just going to make a mess and I can't seem to find the details on installing him anywhere.

I mean you can probably leave Gandalf himself on, but remove the plastics around him enough to reach the switch. I’m not sure how Gandalf is attached.

#3007 5 years ago

Figured out The Wool Pinsound file issue I was having. Just needed to unzip the .rar file. Not sure if I prefer it to the OST file from Pinsound, but there are definitely at least parts I do. Tough call.

I've spent about a month with the glass off adding mods and upgrades, there are just so many things to learn. The only thing I have left are LEDs now. I bought an LED OCD (hopefully it comes with instructions), only thing left is to figure out which LED set to use and then take the damned machine apart to get them installed. Almost there...

#3016 5 years ago

Got some new opto boards in and the multiball issue is fixed! Bad news is no more billion point games, good news is it functions properly now. Thanks for the help, guys!

1 week later
#3041 5 years ago

Nice! With my LED OCD floating and Pinsound board mounted, I can barely put my speaker backboard into place!

I finally got around to “going for it” with an LED overhaul. It was a risky move, but I love it. It’s the PinballBulbs kit with a few tweaks. I used green for the ORC because that’s the color of orcs!

467213B8-DC9E-40E5-A9F4-8FB91E306463 (resized).jpeg467213B8-DC9E-40E5-A9F4-8FB91E306463 (resized).jpeg
#3042 5 years ago

I’m finally basically done modding the machine. Only thing I want is the Palantir mod and maybe speaker LEDs. Taken days worth of my time modding - love the results, but glad to be done!

#3049 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And then I ended up pulling out the PinSound board. I was never quite happy with it in LOTR. I've got PinSound in other games, and I love it. It's awesome in BSD and Getaway.
I think it comes down to owning LOTR so long that any changes in the sound always felt wrong. The default soundtrack in that game has queues that I missed. So it is back to the default for LOTR and I'll find another game to put it into.
Win some, lose some.

Hold up, you know you can put the original soundtrack for LoTR pinball on a Pinsound, right? Same thing, just much better quality sound.

Here’s the download link:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/206-lord_of_the_rings_original/

I currently have 3 lotr tracks on my Pinsound: The original, the Pinsound mix, and The Wool’s mix. I like them all, hard time deciding. You can switch between them easily, especially if you have the mounted headphone set.

#3051 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

More More
How do you switch between the mixes on pinsound?

You turn the volume down to zero a few times and then you’ll hear a chime, which indicates the mix is switched. If you have the headphone jack, just twist the knob back and forth a few times. If not, use the buttons in the coin slot to move the volume up and down to zero a few times. You might be able to do it with the volume knob on the Pinsound board itself, too, but that is obviously less convenient.

#3069 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Been away for a while, does anyone here know if the mix issues for the pinsound Wool mix have been resolved?
Adam

The volume issues? I don’t believe so, though last I read he was close, I think?

1 month later
#3167 5 years ago

Is that a legit pinball topper, or just something you made into one? I love it either way.

3 months later
#3415 5 years ago

Hey all,

Been away a while with a new kid and all that stuff. Has anyone heard of any new Pinsound LoTR files in the past few months? I have three installed, but am always looking to add more.

Thanks!

1 month later
#3522 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Anybody know where I can get the Pinsound LOTR remix from? Thank you.

Which one? There are I think four of them now. The “official” Pinsound one is here:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/216-lotr_ost/

Here is another:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/206-lord_of_the_rings_original/

Hawkeye also has his above, and there’s one other from a member here, as I recall. I am trying Hawkeye’s tomorrow, but for now use whichever one starts with the arrow sound effect on launch. I THINK that is the Pinside one I am forgetting, but I might be wrong. It’s not the official one linked above, it’s one of the othet two. MIGHT be the second link. Either way, just download them all and load them on the USB - switching back and forth is simple, especially if you buy Pinsounds headphone jack and can set the volume externally.

Pinsound on this machine is a game-changer, especially with new speakers. It goes from the game’s biggest weakness to a spledor of magnificence.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 79.95
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipsmcgee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=flipsmcgee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.