Topic Stats

• 5,042 posts
  • 479 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Kkuoppamaki
  • Topic is favorited by 251 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,079 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6411 (resized).jpg
lotr pf pic (resized).PNG
632F4269-8AAC-49F6-9631-FCF106A8303F (resized).jpeg
53A44720-DE16-4E60-9B4A-46A7670DEB22 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6522 (resized).jpg
IMG_6521 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191010_200436 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
71C5B8DB-FA91-4DE7-A428-CB61284545DB (resized).jpeg
MVIMG_20191005_201336 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20191005_201401 (resized).jpg
IMG_6507 (resized).jpg
2019-10-05 19.41.21 (resized).jpg
2019-10-05 19.41.29 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5042 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 101.
#1901 2 years ago

Just picked up my LOTR last week. So happy to add this to the collection. Just waiting on new cab art and full brass treatment courtesy of Pinball Plating. Can't wait to get it set up this weekend.

#1902 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Are LOTR playfields around at Stern distros or are they getting scarce? I'd like to pick one up with better color registration at some point... Not sure what my options are, but I figure it's a relatively recent, popular game so Stern had to make a bunch of PFs.

How do you know if your pf has the better color registration?

#1903 2 years ago

Would anyone like the sticker that goes in the rectangular area on the PF. I have one that I don't need anymore. It looks like grass.Pm me your address and I will get it out in the mail to you.

#1904 2 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Would anyone like the sticker that goes in the rectangular area on the PF. I have one that I don't need anymore. It looks like grass.Pm me your address and I will get it out in the mail to you.

The sticker is in the mail.

#1905 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

How do you know if your pf has the better color registration?

The color registration was off on many LOTR playfields. The easiest place to see it is in Frodo's eyes. If it's off, his eyes look red. On my playfield Frodo looks positively stoned.

#1906 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am not sure but suspect he was referring to this one:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2946

Thank you DC. Can anyone else confirm this is the correct switch, before I order them? I just want to make sure.

#1907 2 years ago

As a PSA for anyone looking to replace your lock down bar, please be aware that Stern changed their LDB's mid run in April of 2005. Every site I could find that lists the old part number 500-5757-02-00 as "working for LOTR" and the new part number 500-6882-00-00 as "not working for LOTR". This is potentially inaccurate depending on when your pin was manufactured. I unfortunately found this out the hard way as I trusted the site's description and shipped the new button-less LDB directly to my powdercoater since it is over an hour away from me. Got home almost 2 months later with all of my beautiful new pieces for 4 different games just to find out it's the incorrect LDB for my LOTR. Definitely disappointing given the expense and rarity of the 500-5757-02-00 LDB and to have wasted the effort to have it powder coated.

Please be on the look out if you find yourself in the same boat!!!

20170917_132954 (resized).jpg

20170918_202008 (resized).jpg

sb155.pdf

#1908 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

As a PSA for anyone looking to replace your lock down bar, please be aware that Stern changed their LDB's mid run in April of 2005. Every site I could find that lists the old part number 500-5757-02-00 as "working for LOTR" and the new part number 500-6882-00-00 as "not working for LOTR". This is potentially inaccurate depending on when your pin was manufactured. I unfortunately found this out the hard way as I trusted the site's description and shipped the new button-less LDB directly to my powdercoater since it is over an hour away from me. Got home almost 2 months later with all of my beautiful new pieces for 4 different games just to find out it's the incorrect LDB for my LOTR. Definitely disappointing given the expense and rarity of the 500-5757-02-00 LDB and to have wasted the effort to have it powder coated.
Please be on the look out if you find yourself in the same boat!!!

I believe you just need to change out your latch mechanism to match your new bar.

#1909 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe you just need to change out your latch mechanism to match your new bar.

Which I definitely thought of, unfortunately I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

#1910 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Which I definitely thought of, unfortunately I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Is this not it?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1285

You could send Terry an e-mail with a picture of the lockdown bar you need to match to see what he has.

#1911 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is this not it?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1285
You could send Terry an e-mail with a picture of the lockdown bar you need to match to see what he has.

"Does NOT fit RollerCoaster Tycoon, The Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord of the Rings, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, The Sopranos, Terminator 3, Elvis, and Elvis Gold. Also does not fit widebody games WWF, Guns-N- Roses, and Batman Forever."

No, the close together tab ldb receivers aren't really made often as replacments. The lock down bars themselves are hardly able to be found. It would need to come off of another game. I've ordered the spread out tab LDB and I'll just have them re powder coat it. I just wanted to save someone else the hassle in case they have a late model LOTR.

#1912 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

"Does NOT fit RollerCoaster Tycoon, The Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord of the Rings, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, The Sopranos, Terminator 3, Elvis, and Elvis Gold. Also does not fit widebody games WWF, Guns-N- Roses, and Batman Forever."
No, the close together tab ldb receivers aren't really made often as replacments. The lock down bars themselves are hardly able to be found. It would need to come off of another game. I've ordered the spread out tab LDB and I'll just have them re powder coat it. I just wanted to save someone else the hassle in case they have a late model LOTR.

I thought the "does not fit" meant the holes of the original game. I would e-mail Terry and see if he has a latch mech that matches the lockbar tabs you have.

#1913 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought the "does not fit" meant the holes of the original game. I would e-mail Terry and see if he has a latch mech that matches the lockbar tabs you have.

No, it means it doesn't fit the original lock down bar that comes with the game. I've already bought the correct LDB now and it's shipped to my PC so I'm good.

#1914 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

No, it means it doesn't fit the original lock down bar that comes with the game. I've already bought the correct LDB now and it's shipped to my PC so I'm good.

It seems that the latch receiver assemblies are very hard to find at this point (part number 500-6509-00). I guess they were already mostly bought up by people that had similar problems that you are having. People have been posting about this problem since around 2012 when powder coating got popular.

#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It seems that the latch receiver assemblies are very hard to find at this point (part number 500-6509-00). I guess they were already mostly bought up by people that had similar problems that you are having. People have been posting about this problem since around 2012 when powder coating got popular.

Yep, it's just too bad that most sites still have incorrect information on their product pages that continues to lead to this confusion.

#1916 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The color registration was off on many LOTR playfields. The easiest place to see it is in Frodo's eyes. If it's off, his eyes look red. On my playfield Frodo looks positively stoned.

Good tip. If you pull off the apron there are standard color registration and alignment markings on the left lower side. They can be all over the place (and were clearly ignored, ha).

#1917 2 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Thanks so much for the Shire decal. It looks great. I've been meaning to get one for awhile - cheers to you sir!

IMG_20170925_204003205 (resized).jpg

#1918 2 years ago

Hello....I didn't want to search whole thread -

Does anyone know how to adjust wire ramp over Gollum VUK cuz the ball pops up and then falls back down in Gollum hole, over and over. thanks!!

#1919 2 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Hello....I didn't want to search whole thread -
Does anyone know how to adjust wire ramp over Gollum VUK cuz the ball pops up and then falls back down in Gollum hole, over and over. thanks!!

I have the same problem - not just one or two launches but more like 5 or 6 failures in a row -but it makes the gollum multiball super easy to start...
Need some advice please.

#1920 2 years ago

The wireform over gollum is mounted to two posts at the front with a washer and locknut. Mine would bounce out because one of the nuts had loosened and the wireform moved around, it needed a new 6/32 locknut. Loosen the two nuts, visually align the wireform with the center of the vuk hole and re tighten.

#1921 2 years ago

What color should the light behind the Plantar ball be? red or blue?

Thanks!

BobC

#1922 2 years ago

Not sure. I have a color changing LED in mine.

#1923 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

What color should the light behind the Plantar ball be? red or blue?
Thanks!
BobC

Factory was a 44 with a red rubber sleeve on it. A 44/47 LED RGB Slow Color changer flex looks fantastic behind the factory globe, it is what I had until I finally got Jay's Palantir mod....

#1924 2 years ago

I'm not familiar with the mod

#1925 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Jay's palantir mod is one of the best mods for LOTR. He only makes a few in each batch and only makes a couple batches a year so they are hard to get. Jay is a good guy and a positive force for pinball in the greater Philly area and pinside.

#1926 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Quoted from hawknole:

Jay's palantir mod is one of the best mods for LOTR. He only makes a few in each batch and only makes a couple batches a year so they are hard to get. Jay is a good guy and a positive force for pinball in the greater Philly area and pinside.

It is a SWEET mod....here is the thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod

#1927 2 years ago

are there any good mods available for the naked bulb behind the Rider at the back right of the PF?

#1928 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

are there any good mods available for the naked bulb behind the Rider at the back right of the PF?

I have not seen any mods for that but note that the bulb should be a red coated flasher bulb rather than a clear flasher.

#1929 2 years ago

Just like the naked lit and jackpot bulbs on the Player Piano in TZ this bulb screams out for something more.

#1930 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Quoted from DCFAN:

I have not seen any mods for that but note that the bulb should be a red coated flasher bulb rather than a clear flasher.

I used a red LED 906 Flasher that I wrapped in black heatshrink....but yeah, a good mod idea for here is needed......

#1931 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I tried an SMD red flasher there and I went back to the red coated flasher because I thought it looked better. It is the only incandescent bulb in my LOTR. As for a mod, I have not seen one either, not really sure how you could tie something into the bulb socket.

#1932 2 years ago

Is it supposed to signal anything or just flash from time to time with the rest of the flashers.

#1933 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Is it supposed to signal anything or just flash from time to time with the rest of the flashers.

It flashes during Escape the Ringwraiths mode to signify you are in the mode.

Is that flasher really supposed to be red or is that a cosmetic choice people are making? I don't think I have ever seen it red before.

#1934 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It flashes during Escape the Ringwraiths mode to signify you are in the mode.
Is that flasher really supposed to be red or is that a cosmetic choice people are making? I don't think I have ever seen it red before.

My LOTR LE shipped from Stern with the red bulb.

#1935 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My LOTR LE shipped from Stern with the red bulb.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I have never seen it that way. I'll have to try a red bulb out.

#1936 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I have never seen it that way. I'll have to try a red bulb out.

My OG LOTR shipped with red as well

#1937 2 years ago

I’ve often thought it’d look better with red.

#1939 2 years ago

Instead of a red bulb what about something similar the to Batman signal that flashes a shadow image of the ringwraiths in full gallup on the side of the cabinet? It could even be in red. With a little logic it could flash like lightning strikes.

#1940 2 years ago

I just took a close look at that plastic that holds the red ring wraith flasher bulb. It doubles as the switch mount for the Aragorn ramp. Not much room there due to that, however if that bulb were a group of 2 or 3 mounted lower, more behind and hidden behind the ringwraith to light it up from behind instead of above that would look pretty good. Hides both the bulb(s) and lights up the figure better....

#1941 2 years ago

I have a red LED flasher there with a bulb condom slid over it to hide it.

I think converting it in to a spot light / flasher aimed at the front of the ring wraith would be 100 times better.

#1942 2 years ago

Destroyed the ring for the first time since getting LOTR back in my collection. I had forgotten what an absolute rush this game can be forsuch a long playing deep game -truly a masterpiece of a game. It is never leaving this time.

20170929_203526 (resized).jpg

20170929_204327 (resized).jpg

#1943 2 years ago

In the Manual it calls out that the LOTR has (1) Groove Jewel Plastic Post what I call a star post.
I can't find one on my machine. Where does this go?

starpost (resized).jpg

desc (resized).jpg

#1944 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

In the Manual it calls out that the LOTR has (1) Groove Jewel Plastic Post what I call a star post.

I don't believe there is one unless it is under the apron or behind the backboard.

#1945 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't believe there is one unless it is under the apron or behind the backboard.

Agreed, just fully shopped my LOTR and did not find a single post like that.....

#1946 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Quoted from DCFAN:

Quoted from AUKraut:

Agreed, just fully shopped my LOTR and did not find a single post like that.....

I have one at the end of my path of the dead. Helps the ball into the habitrail and from dropping on the plastic. Doesn't stop all the drops but keeps them to a minimum. Not sure it's suppose to be there but I like it. It is a little tight to the wall...but not a big deal.

#1947 2 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

I have one at the end of my path of the dead. Helps the ball into the habitrail and from dropping on the plastic. Doesn't stop all the drops but keeps them to a minimum. Not sure it's suppose to be there but I like it. It is a little tight to the wall...but not a big deal.

No, I don't think that's supposed to be there, but I might throw one on and give it a try!

#1948 2 years ago

I want in if someone would like to trade for a GB premium. I have a ad on pinside with pictures.

#1949 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I want in if someone would like to trade for a GB premium. I have a ad on pinside with pictures.

I want out....but can't add any too many $ to a trade....

Any opinions for a even trade for a tspp? Thanks.

#1950 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

want in if someone would like to trade for a GB premium. I have a ad on pinside with pictures.

Pm sent. I'll do the trade.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lighthouse Point, FL
There are 5042 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 101.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside