IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2113 6 years ago

After an unlucky first-ball, I was under the impression you could restart the game by holding the START button (after ball is sitting on the plunger for ball 2,3,4,5). Is there a setting I'm missing or does LOTR lack this feature?

#2117 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

There is a setting in the menu for that.

Is there a setting that can override it? Any other thoughts on why it isn't working?
A1-35 is set to yes, game is set to free-play, and I used moviestar-setting-mode and set it to 'home use'.

#2119 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Should work. Ball must be in the shooter lane, and it must be ball 2. Try it one more time.
Maybe the ball save setting was on (called "Freeze Time"), and it was still on ball 1?
Maybe your shooter lane switch is not working??

I do have freeze-time enabled and if it's a ball-save mode, I've tested 'restart' multiple times with long ball times.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the shooter lane switch (although I do think it's working).

1 month later
#2325 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

So good to hear I'm not the only one with this illness... We could start our own subgroup. LOTR Anonymous. I'm Jasper. (Hi Jasper) This is my story.

Hi Jasper. I'm Rez and I also have an addiction problem. After seeing those Ringwraiths, I must add them. Damn you.
Fair is fair though... have you heard "Wool's" pinsound mix? You should. Pinsound is quite expensive for what it does, but it's probably the best mod I've added.

For those getting new playfields, is the printing quality essentially the same? The original playfield is a bit muddy. IMHO, the playfield artwork should be 'improved' if they make a 'vault edition'. Please tell me the artwork and inks are the same... (so I can avoid the time and expense) PLEASE!

1 week later
#2352 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How did you add it? Do you have an LE or was this the special PAL ROM setup? I’ve heard both sides - it’sa must-have, and it’s a dog and barely turns on...

You add the pal and 10.02 ROM. I like it. It seems to fire the 'right' amount.
The only downside I've noticed is if you have a bad first ball, game-restart doesn't work (after adding this mod).

1 week later
#2376 6 years ago

I can't think of a playfield that deserves 're-mastering' or 're-envisioning' more than LOTR's playfield. For such a brilliant game, the quality of the playfield art (and printing) is a real shame. Frankly, it's kinda ridiculous that they'd remake playfields with that level of poor quality nowadays.

Was the source art lost or are they worried about legal approval of any modifications? Can they borrow a higher quality printer from JJP? lol Even a super-resolution process like this would go a long way: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-super-resolution-tool-launch-2947926

1 month later
#2513 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

If I remember right, that rar file is the unpacked version. It saves a ton of time vs. Having the board unzip it. It's a huge file right? If so, yeah just drop it on there and plug in the usb

I believe the Woolmix is already in .wav format. But when you guys say 'drop it on there', you do mean 'extract the files from the .rar archive' right?

#2517 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

If my memory serves me correctly, I uncompressed the .rar file and just had the files and folders on the memory stick. Pinsound web page had info on the right file structure also

This is what I did as well.

2 weeks later
#2574 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Is there anyone using a sdb004 from rottendog in their lord
My driver is not so pretty, and i'm considering the swap.

I've got the Rottendog board and it works well. I had a lamp matrix short-issue and the sdb004 reproduced the behavior exactly.
The only issue I noticed is the spacing between connectors were 'off' by a few millimeters so mods dependent on perfect connector spacing (like the pinduino) won't fit.

#2584 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Does anyone have before and after video of the LED OCD?

I don't have a video but I'll add another vote to assure you the improvement is very significant. For LOTR in particular, with the sort of lighting effects it employs, it's a big deal. It improves the 'feel' of the game. Adding pinsound was the next best upgrade for this game IMHO.

#2606 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Anyone with Pinsound installed using the Wool mix notice a loud static sound between some of the music tracks?

I haven't noticed loud static but there are certainly odd areas of near-silence when certain animations are playing and the mix has very low volume, etc. These issues are entirely consistent so might be 'fixable' somehow. I haven't confirmed if the clips are normalized, have wrong gain.txt values, etc. Perhaps there is an issue with certain file formats or certain overlapping samples.

3 weeks later
#2684 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I had the stronger coils on for a while, I wasn't getting airballs, but the ball moves much faster. I decided to go back to stock because I preferred the softer feel. I really don't have any issues making shots, even after long games, with the stock coils.
I still have a pair of the stronger coils if anyone is interested in them, $20 shipped in US. They don't have more than 30 games on them.

I was getting too many airballs and tweaked the flipper settings. This helped more than I expected.

1 month later
#3008 5 years ago

If I were adding Leds again, I’d get all warm white smd bulbs and let ledocd do it’s thing. Personallly, I don’t like rainbow colors on LOTR.

3 months later
#3242 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Has anyone used the LOTR cabinet decals that are available? I'm thinking if they looked ok, I might eventually get them to spruce up this cab.

I have not, but it's one of the few games where I'd be willing to practice my decal-skills. The original print quality of the the decals (and playfield) isn't very good so I wouldn't stress much beyond the cost and time.

4 months later
#3622 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

The beard dick is there on the regular version too, it's just not outlined lol

Right, so the beard dick isn't so pronounced that it's poking me in the eyeball. My jerk friend pointed it out to me (hah!) and ruined the LE for me. I hadn't considered an alt-translite when I bought my LOTR, but in hindsight, that would work....

2 weeks later
#3700 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Those are the stock coils, neither medium nor high strength.
You should be able to post transfer.

Perhaps, but these have that label as well: https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html

Aren't these the 'high power' coils people refer to? I've got these and they're a bit overpowered in my game.

2 months later
#4150 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have an OCD in mine. I understand there are settings but I’ve never messed with it. In this game, does it make sense for me to learn and adjust the settings?

On my game, the prior owner used various types of LEDs so I tweaked brightness here and there to even things out.
Also, for this game in particular, I prefer a warmer, dimmer look so will likely reduce the overall brightness as well.
As the final step, I might try and slow the fade ramp but will probably need to swap a bunch of LEDs that start flickering.

10 months later
#5588 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Thanks for the feedback!
I would love to do a resin version of this (and probably will just for my pin to test it out); the fine detail would look amazing. But, yeah, that would definitely shatter
Currently, I am experimenting with three different thermoplastics right now to find the best balance between looks, flexibility and strength.
I'll hook up a some white lighting in the next day or two and post to the upcoming dedicated thread.

It looks fantastic. Please post a link to the new thread once you start it. Count me in for this.

1 month later
#5767 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Since I installed the APB coils, the ring shot is good but it often bounces out of Barad-dûr and Orthanc shots from the right orbit sail right past more often than not. The ball was also flying off the left ramp but I installed a plastic for that.

My game had the high-power coils installed. The main problem for me was they made the pinball feel like a marble. So I removed them for the APB 'medium' coils and I prefer the feel of the game much, much more.

1 week later
#5830 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Questions for you folks who might have installed a Pinsound into LOTR.
1- I know you can load custom sounds and packages, but if you left the original sounds does the Pinsound board make any sound quality difference with the original sounds.
2- What ohm speakers can we use the Pinsound board amps, will it handle 4 & 8 ohms? Not mixing the two, just capable wise for 4ohm or 8ohm speakers.
Thinking of purchasing the Pinsound Plus for the machine, thanks for your input.
Thanks

1. not enough to justify the expense
2. don't know

I love Pinsound on this game because while the old sounds are iconic and great, the audio quality si poor. And most important, several guys have made amazing mixes that change the vibe and add some variety.

#5890 4 years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_S8osaFI4b/

I don't know for sure, but it looks like Lior might be working on new playfield artwork for LOTR...

lior2 (resized).jpglior2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5935 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Is anyone else making a target splint for the Palantir taget other then Mezel Mods? Their material is way too soft with flexing so the target is back to moving again.
Thanks

I can confirm this after ~5-10 games.

5 months later
#6528 3 years ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Self made and 3D printed with clear resin.
Added inside a rgb slow fade led by Comet Pinball
[quoted image]

Wow, yeah, nice job with those 'path of the dead' mods. They look great.

1 year later
#7902 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

https://www.pinballprices.com/average-prices/lord-of-the-rings-(le)
Looks like 7k/8k have been typical but things are going up up up recently.

He's asking about the backglass only. But prices on pin-stuff is silly nowadays. I REALLY don't care for the LE backglass but I'm sure someone born yester

Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't think those prices are anywhere near correct because of the inflated prices games are going for these days.
The backglass alone would probably fetch $1000 I would guess.

Would you pay $1000 for that backglass? I highly doubt it. Besides, Gandalf's junk really harms the price on that thing.
The idea that pinball games are investments and there are tons of rich pinball morons is an anomaly (not the norm) and isn't sustainable.

11 months later
#9146 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

The perfect duo from the dmd era.
[quoted image]

Love love LOVE the Tron theme.... however.... if you swap Tron 2.0 for Metallica then I'm with you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.