20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 130.
#1201 1 year ago

Thank you. Halloween is SICK. I honestly cannot understand people who poo poo. It is a WILD game that shoots great and is a complete breath of fresh air in the market. I was a day one buyer, paid the full bore and never looked back. I yawn when I play my Sterns now.

Quoted from SLRage:

For all the random people who like to repeat the line that Halloween buyers somehow are unhappy I have to say "step away from the group-think mentality."
Yes, a lot of flippers were very unhappy and "some" buyers had some legitimate issues with their pins, however..........Time will prove that the Vast majority of Halloween owners are Very Happy with the game so far and I have a really good feeling that this next update will take the game over the top.
Happy owners may not dominate the commentary on this game but we exist and Love our Game!

#1202 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

For all the random people who like to repeat the line that Halloween buyers somehow are unhappy I have to say "step away from the group-think mentality."
Yes, a lot of flippers were very unhappy and "some" buyers had some legitimate issues with their pins, however..........Time will prove that the Vast majority of Halloween owners are Very Happy with the game so far and I have a really good feeling that this next update will take the game over the top.
Happy owners may not dominate the commentary on this game but we exist and Love our Game!

I agree with you 100%.
I’m totally happy with mine and my wife friggin loves it. It’s a very unconventional game that I rather enjoy playing. Alice Cooper got a lot of the same sort of feedback for the longest time. Personally I think that’s one of the best pins I’ve owned.

#1203 1 year ago

If license is the issue...

Turn the volume all the way down and cover up the LCD. Play it and let folks see how the game shoots. We've already seen the playfield art so the licensor seems happy with that. If showing the lightshow is an issue, disconnect the controlled lighting. Geometry, shots and flow are the most important; go ahead and show us all that while maybe describing what features you're shooting for.

#1204 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Saw an ad yesterday for someone trying to sell their Fathom remake, before it had even arrived, because they had also pre-ordered 3 other games and didn't have room for them all.

Hah - don't confuse "losing interest" with "greed".

#1205 1 year ago

I have never flipped an AC but really need to. Halloween just has the perfect atmosphere for a horror game and that's not an easy task!

Quoted from Coindork:

I agree with you 100%.
I’m totally happy with mine and my wife friggin loves it. It’s a very unconventional game that I rather enjoy playing. Alice Cooper got a lot of the same sort of feedback for the longest time. Personally I think that’s one of the best pins I’ve owned.

#1206 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I was playing so much ultraman my wife asked why I didn’t just sell the rest of my games. So yeah we do exist.

#1207 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

It’s their decision to take money now. If licensor says game isn’t ready to show they can do the right thing and hold off on taking non refundable deposits until it is.

I see why you are unhappy…but no one is making you put down a deposit without the gameplay. Like I said, everyone should do what they want with their money. I’m not pushing anyone either way, but stating your opinion once should be enough…stomping feet and screaming repeatedly doesn’t help…not saying you were doing that, but some on here have been a broken record.

#1208 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

If license is the issue...
Turn the volume all the way down and cover up the LCD. Play it and let folks see how the game shoots. We've already seen the playfield art so the licensor seems happy with that. If showing the lightshow is an issue, disconnect the controlled lighting. Geometry, shots and flow are the most important; go ahead and show us all that while maybe describing what features you're shooting for.

Stern has a pending licensor approval banner on the lcd of bond right now. I wonder if that is something spooky could do here to be able to show it off now.

#1209 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Well we know that you have no problem working on and fixing games The number of pages for rick and morty fixes to get those early games to play right was overwhelming. But yeah it’s different for everyone depending on your level of skill. But people should agree that spending the amount of money on a new in box pin that we spend should not then be forced to make the game play right or fix a ton of stuff right off the bat. Instead of rushing these games out how about a little, just a little, better quality control would go a long way.
Sending out new decals to a customer that just spent 10 grand on a new in box game that came messed up due to poor QC isn’t a fair resolution to the issue as that person either has to spend time (time is money) fixing it if they can or pay someone to do it. I mean it’s not like they are churning out 1,000 pins a day take the damn time to look it over before boxing it up.
Rant over

I think you may have said it better than me. Rather than use a cargument, I'll go with TV's. I spent $7k on a TV. If it blacked out/rebooted/etc every hour or so, I'd be furious and sending it back. I think asking for better QA and code that is further along at release for pinball is a rather small thing to ask for. (note that these are not really aimed at Spooky, but in general). The only company I've been 100% happy with is CGC, but I'm sure some people even had issues with them.

#1210 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Well we know that you have no problem working on and fixing games The number of pages for rick and morty fixes to get those early games to play right was overwhelming. But yeah it’s different for everyone depending on your level of skill. But people should agree that spending the amount of money on a new in box pin that we spend should not then be forced to make the game play right or fix a ton of stuff right off the bat. Instead of rushing these games out how about a little, just a little, better quality control would go a long way.
Sending out new decals to a customer that just spent 10 grand on a new in box game that came messed up due to poor QC isn’t a fair resolution to the issue as that person either has to spend time (time is money) fixing it if they can or pay someone to do it. I mean it’s not like they are churning out 1,000 pins a day take the damn time to look it over before boxing it up.
Rant over

I see your point…but pinball is a unique hobby. I’ve had as much, if not more trouble, with my Sterns or B/W. Pinball has never been maintenance free…ever. And it prob never will be. Anyone buying a pin should with be ready to pay for maintenance or know how. I not an expert, but expect myself to find the solution…sometimes with a lot of help.

Wife had a good analogy…people spend 10s of 1000s of dollars on collectible cars…if they don’t know how to maintain them, they have to pay someone to do it.

#1211 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I have never flipped an AC but really need to. Halloween just has the perfect atmosphere for a horror game and that's not an easy task!

I’ll say one more thing about Alice Cooper.
In general the shots are harder then a conventional Stern. Tighter shots etc.
Some people get turned off by this.
There were some at first that were calling Alice Cooper a brick fest when it came out.
I think Alice Cooper is more akin to playing Snooker where as a Stern is more like playing an 8 ball game of pool on a bar table.
It really taught me better ball controll and to aim my shots more precise. In short, it made me a better player more so than any other machine.
I love it now and find it really gratifying when I have a good game.

Totally agree on Halloween with the perfect horror atmosphere. I met my wife in a Goth club and she’s all into horror movies and such and loves Spooky games. Aside from BSD there really are not a lot of pins that cater to a darker theme like that. I think you would really like Alice Cooper for that reason as it nails that vibe as well. Rob Zombie has that vibe as well and if you learn the rule set and how to play it is actually a pretty decent game in my opinion. It’s not “packed”, but it not deserving of all the shit people like to give it. I know a lot of people like to crap on RZ, but it has developed a following among some of us. Production was so limited that at this point they are making their way into the hands of people who like them, so the hate is kind of a mute point I suppose.

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

I own two CEs. It's one of my favorite games. It's so amazing.

#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That doesn't mean it's a deep game automatically or anything, but just to utilize that many callouts indicates a certain amount of attention to software.

It's not a shabby number. My guess on this is that because you can pick a character, and have all 5 happening in a game, that all 5 voices have a set of the same callouts for things in the game that each player hear. Additionally there may be group callouts, I would assume many shaggy/scooby shenanigan callouts as well.

If they had an actual conversation/argument that might be funny too.

#1214 1 year ago

How does calling people who didn’t like HWN/UM flippers make any real case for Spooky? Flippers do well with games people want. Once people got their hands on these games the general feeling was that they were not good, that’s why the are selling for what they are. It’s like “you are only mad because you thought people would want the game, but they don’t…because it’s great?”

#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I see your point…but pinball is a unique hobby. I’ve had as much, if not more trouble, with my Sterns or B/W. Pinball has never been maintenance free…ever. And it prob never will be. Anyone buying a pin should with be ready to pay for maintenance or know how. I not an expert, but expect myself to find the solution…sometimes with a lot of help.
Wife had a good analogy…people spend 10s of 1000s of dollars on collectible cars…if they don’t know how to maintain them, they have to pay someone to do it.

I agree - but I’d still be happier with non boneheaded mistakes that could have easily been avoided with a quick QC check - it just screams lack of care to me

#1216 1 year ago

I’ll say this much…I have NEVER bought an upper tier CE LE SLE whatever pin from any other manufacture BESIDES Spooky. This will be my fourth and I ain’t scared of shit. Have I had probs with my Halloween? Yup. Did I fix it, yup. Will I have more probs? Yup. Will I fix em? Yup. Will I have probs with Scooby? Yup. Will I fix em? Yup. AND I’m putting on location. Am I worried? A bit. Will it stop me? Absolutely the F not.

#1217 1 year ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

How does calling people who didn’t like HWN/UM flippers make any real case for Spooky? Flippers do well with games people want. Once people got their hands on these games the general feeling was that they were not good

Weird. Hasn't been that experience anywhere but on Pinside. I have an Ultraman CE and the local Barcade has a Halloween CE.

Every single player who has flipped either one has developed a whole new respect for Pinside. Not an improved respect, mind you.
To a man, the reaction has been 'WTH are people talking shit about this pin for?'.

The loudest people here will harp first and foremost on the money they 'lost'.
That indicates their disappointment was primarily a financial one. And as such, they earn the moniker of Flipper.

#1218 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Halloween is SICK

Halloween is broken.

You can make that center ramp 5 times a row…and then get rejections 5 times a row…that’s why there’s an opto half way up it so at least it makes a sound on all the fails. And when you do make it, it just rattles through the diverter

Left ramp is better but still rattles through mostly

Sanitarium ends up largely ignored, watch how much gameplay out there where people let it drain through without a flip

Judith is satisfying but with poor geometry to reliably hit it.

Orbit is pretty clean

House playfield is decently fun and challenging, but it requires you to do business with that broken center ramp

After a few hundred plays Halloween is pretty much reduced to only going for hedge multiball which has 3 satisfying locks and an awesome MB experience with the theme song going.

The rest of it should’ve been redesigned

#1219 1 year ago

How does calling people who didn’t like HWN/UM flippers make any real case for Spooky? Flippers do well with games people want. Once people got their hands on these games the general feeling was that they were not good, that’s why the are selling for what they are. It’s like “you are only mad because you thought people would want the game, but they don’t…because it’s great?”

Because the ones that lost money are blaming spooky like they had a gun to their head. When people actively participate in speculation someone is eventually going to be left holding the bag. People jumped into HW/UM fresh off the hype of RM and were disappointed they couldn't instantly flip their spot for cash. I know multiple people that purchased multiple spots just to flip them. They ended up panicking and driving the price down leading to people shit talking a game undeservedly and blame spooky. The code isn't even finished and spooky is bending over backwards to continue improving and supporting the game.

The days of buying a game and having a guarantee of selling it for more are over.

#1220 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’ll say this much…I have NEVER bought an upper tier CE LE SLE whatever pin from any other manufacture BESIDES Spooky. This will be my fourth and I ain’t scared of shit. Have I had probs with my Halloween? Yup? Did I fix it, yup. Will I have more probs? Yup. Will I fix em? Yup. Will I have probs with Scooby? Yup. Will I fix em? Yup. AND I’m putting on location. Am I worried? A bit. Will it stop me? Absolutely the F not.

You are ready for this pin.

#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I’ll say one more thing about Alice Cooper.
In general the shots are harder then a conventional Stern. Tighter shots etc.
Some people get turned off by this.
There were some at first that were calling Alice Cooper a brick fest when it came out.
I think Alice Cooper is more akin to playing Snooker where as a Stern is more like playing an 8 ball game of pool on a bar table.
It really taught me better ball controll and to aim my shots more precise. In short, it made me a better player more so than any other machine.
I love it now and find it really gratifying when I have a good game.
Totally agree on Halloween with the perfect horror atmosphere. I met my wife in a Goth club and she’s all into horror movies and such and loves Spooky games. Aside from BSD there really are not a lot of pins that cater to a darker theme like that. I think you would really like Alice Cooper for that reason as it nails that vibe as well. Rob Zombie has that vibe as well and if you learn the rule set and how to play it is actually a pretty decent game in my opinion. It’s not “packed”, but it not deserving of all the shit people like to give it. I know a lot of people like to crap on RZ, but it has developed a following among some of us. Production was so limited that at this point they are making their way into the hands of people who like them, so the hate is kind of a mute point I suppose.

ACNC is a great game that's very underrated. Much like Houdini (I own both), people give it a hard time because more precise shots are needed. I've said it many times, but a tougher game is what EVERYONE wants for home use, yet they complain about it in the forums because of group-think.

My answer: Get better at pinball

#1222 1 year ago

You sound very much like you don’t understand the game, that’s fine.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Halloween is broken.
You can hit that center ramp 5 times a row…and then get rejections 5 times a row…that’s why there’s an opto half way up it so at least it makes a sound on all the fails. And when you do make it, it just rattles through the diverter
Sanitarium ends up largely ignored, watch how much gameplay out there where people let it drain through without a flip
Orbit is pretty clean
House playfield is decently fun and challenging, but it requires you to do business with that broken center ramp
After a few hundred plays Halloween is pretty much reduced to only going for hedge multiball which has 3 satisfying locks and an awesome MB experience with the theme song going.

#1223 1 year ago

I don’t think all of the people that did not like HWN/UM were flipper. Those games are for sure not for everyone, I’ll admit that.
The thing is, that there were a certain number of people that bought those machine with no other intention other than flipping them for more money. I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time considering Rick and Morty was selling at a premium. When that did not work out well and they couldn’t sell them a few of them got all pissed and started trash talking on pretty much every for sale thread etc.

Personally I think it’s funny as hell.
If buying a NIB pinball machine thinking your going to flip it for a profit is your great money making scheme I think you have bigger issues.

#1224 1 year ago

Spent a few years routing 80’s / 90’s BW’s DE Sega and Gottlieb pins so…I’m not too worried about Spooky.

Quoted from Vecna:

You are ready for this pin.

#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I agree - but I’d still be happier with non boneheaded mistakes that could have easily been avoided with a quick QC check - it just screams lack of care to me

I don’t think it lack of care…of any company Spooky has proven they care…it’s just figuring it out. Young company (yes 10 years…but really a young company) and young people. If you think about this…this is the future of pinball. Thinking outside the box. I appreciate the ones with experience and those that have been around forever, but I really like where Spooky is taking us. Just riding the new wave, bumps and all. Pinball future seems bright!

#1226 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

And R&M sold out in an hour with spots immediately fetching $1-3k over MSRP. Like I said - it's a risk either way.

750 units vs 1969 units is a substantial difference.

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

750 units vs 1969 units is a substantial difference.

1750 (HW and UM) in 4 hours.

#1228 1 year ago

Halloween is broken.
You can hit that center ramp 5 times a row…and then get rejections 5 times a row…that’s why there’s an opto half way up it so at least it makes a sound on all the fails. And when you do make it, it just rattles through the diverter
Orbit is pretty clean

Sounds like you played on a machine that’s at either too steep of a pitch or the flipper strength needs to be adjusted.

#1229 1 year ago

Wow. You Sir had a bad experience with a "broken" game and that sucks but sure isn't the norm

Halloween is broken.
Orbit is pretty clean

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I don’t think all of the people that did not like HWN/UM were flipper. Those games are for sure not for everyone, I’ll admit that.
The thing is, that there were a certain number of people that bought those machine with no other intention other than flipping them for more money. I’m sure it seemed like a good idea at the time considering Rick and Morty was selling at a premium. When that did not work out well and they couldn’t sell them a few of them got all pissed and started trash talking on pretty much every for sale thread etc.
Personally I think it’s funny as hell.
If buying a NIB pinball machine thinking your going to flip it for a profit is your great money making scheme I think you have bigger issues.

I think it goes beyond flipping. Keep in mind that with the higher prices came a mindset for many that they could buy a game, play it for a month or two, then sell it recouping the cost or more and move on to the next game. With HWN/ULT that really didn't happen because the code is so far from finished. Additionally, well, I get the impression that game is an aquired taste and not for everyone.

#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

From my limited understanding…I don’t think this is a Spooky decision. They answer to the people who hold the Scooby license…so all blaming Spooky…it does no good…they aren’t the bad guys.

Did someone at Spooky say the licensor will not let them show gameplay tomorrow or are you just guessing that is the reason?

Man I was giving Spooky huge props for streaming gameplay before taking orders. I thought that was a huge move in the right direction. Now pardon me while I go wipe this egg off my face.

#1232 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

1500 (HW and UM) in 4 hours.

1500 riding high on R&M trust and credibility.

1969 weighed down Halloween/Ultraman ongoing bad juju.

Not the same circumstance. But hey, if they sell out, great. I'll just be a used buyer down the road if the pin proves itself.

#1233 1 year ago

Exactly and this is Scooby......Gone like the wind I tell ya

Quoted from dnapac:

#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

1500 (HW and UM) in 4 hours.

Lol and 800 of those were for sale before their game actually shipped. I want Scooby Doo to kick ass and get my first Spooky… but I can’t roll the dice on $8k (after shipping) on something I can’t even see flip on a stream.

#1235 1 year ago

That's fair

Quoted from Zablon:

I think it goes beyond flipping. Keep in mind that with the higher prices came a mindset for many that they could buy a game, play it for a month or two, then sell it recouping the cost or more and move on to the next game. With HWN/ULT that really didn't happen because the code is so far from finished. Additionally, well, I get the impression that game is an aquired taste and not for everyone.

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That is not how it went down. Distros were sitting on both for multiple days (I think ULT was over a week before they all sold). R&M didn't sell out as quick as stated either. People were saying once Spooky ran out on their website it was sold out, which was not true.

I mean, it's great that they did, but the numbers thrown around are misleading.

#1237 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Lol and 800 of those were for sale before their game actually shipped. I want Scooby Doo to kick ass and get my first Spooky… but I can’t roll the dice on $8k (after shipping) on something I even can’t see flip on a stream.

I’ve been busy at work all afternoon, so Spooky confirmed no gameplay tomorrow??

#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1969 weighed down Halloween/Ultraman ongoing bad juju.

It's nothing but internet trash talk.

I'm willing to bet at least 1000 go to people who already happily own Spooky Machines. Even the ones with the bad Juju.

#1239 1 year ago

I understand where you are coming from for sure

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Lol and 800 of those were for sale before their game actually shipped. I want Scooby Doo to kick ass and get my first Spooky… but I can’t roll the dice on $8k (after shipping) on something I even can’t see flip on a stream.

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Lol and 800 of those were for sale before their game actually shipped. I want Scooby Doo to kick ass and get my first Spooky… but I can’t roll the dice on $8k (after shipping) on something I can’t even see flip on a stream.

And that is cool. Do what you’re comfortable with your money. No one should tell you different.

#1241 1 year ago

I'm really on the fence here.
Nostalgia can only carry me so far .... Loved the show as a kid, but not sure if yesterday's memories can compete with today's adulthood.

#1242 1 year ago
Quoted from reffob:

I’ve been busy at work all afternoon, so Spooky confirmed no gameplay tomorrow??

No gameplay. Just Q/A session answering when they may show gameplay.

#1243 1 year ago

Halloween is broken.

Funny, I made it up the center ramp just fine four times in the first five minutes of this video.

#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

No gameplay. Just Q/A session answering when they will show gameplay.

So the question everyone should ask is just "when can we see gameplay?"

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That is not how it went down. Distros were sitting on both for multiple days (I think ULT was over a week before they all sold). R&M didn't sell out as quick as stated either. People were saying once Spooky ran out on their website it was sold out, which was not true.

Spooky was sold out…distros were not. That was the truth.

#1246 1 year ago

My only personal hesitation is Im kinda drawn to a more "serious" toned pin. I can get pissed at Michael Myers and flip my machine off when I get pinball screwed. This will be my first "comedy" based pin and I hate to flip Scoob off!

#1247 1 year ago

In Spooky's defense, they never once said they were streaming gameplay. Folks saw the word "stream" and from there it was in the eye of the beholder.

Does that mean they shouldn't stream it? No. I'm not in on this one, but I do think the more sound business decision would be a pre-deposit stream. Still, I think folks here could've saved themselves a little bit of consternation by not automatically jumping to "they're streaming the game!"

#1248 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

No gameplay. Just Q/A session answering when they will show gameplay.

Lol that’s probably exactly what’s going to happen.

Well this is disappointing, they HAVE to have known everyone would be expecting gameplay. Kinda sours the whole thing.

#1249 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

ACNC is a great game that's very underrated. Much like Houdini (I own both), people give it a hard time because more precise shots are needed.

I miss my ACNC; will be adding Scooby!! You’re right, it made me a much better player.

#1250 1 year ago

Someone asked if they have a new better lcd screen… anyone know? Not washed out blacks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NC
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.