20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 130.
#1151 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Spooky needs non refundable deposit because they are a small company that needs to pay their bills. $1,969,000 buys a lot of parts and labor to get the game off the ground.

When will they be considered a larger company that doesn't need non-refundable deposits? Pretty sure they have a least a couple dozen employees, probably more. UM and HWN was close to $12 million in sales. Why does the risk have to be put on the buyer? I understood it when they were really small and pumping out a couple hundred games a year at most. They have expanded both in physical space and employees which has allowed them to make significantly more games.

#1152 1 year ago
Quoted from MitchMitchell:

Only thing that bums me out, is its so limited, I wish the CE was limited to 1969 units and the Standard and BSE had runs over the next few years like Stern does. Id be in for a Standard on a later run 100%.

1969 games is far from limited.

#1153 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

When will they be considered a larger company that doesn't need non-refundable deposits? Pretty sure they have a least a couple dozen employees, probably more. UM and HWN was close to $12 million in sales. Why does the risk have to be put on the buyer? I understood it when they were really small and pumping out a couple hundred games a year at most. They have expanded both in physical space and employees which has allowed them to make significantly more games.

Good points!

#1154 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I think a bank could handle that for them.

Loan would be 10%+ right now.

#1155 1 year ago

Spotted some high rez pics on FB

FB_IMG_1670462478417 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462478417 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462581683 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462581683 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462587218 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462587218 (resized).jpg

FB_IMG_1670462847356 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1670462847356 (resized).jpg
#1156 1 year ago

Only thing that bums me out, is its so limited, I wish the CE was limited to 1969 units and the Standard and BSE had runs over the next few years like Stern does. Id be in for a Standard on a later run 100%.

1969 isn’t that limited. There are non-limited pins that don’t even get to that number.

#1157 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

There is no way this game will sell out day 1. Spooky is doing the right thing by giving the hardcore fans the opportunity to buy on day 1 by keeping the speculators at bay. Once gameplay footage is released it is a crapshoot if they will sell them all or not. I personally love the non-refundable deposits as they remove the flippers from the equation. Nice job Spooky. I have faith in the team at spooky to stand by their product. It isn't without frustration at times but they've always come thru for me.

Agree with this 100%

If what you have seen thus far is enough for you along with the Q&A session tomorrow then jump on board Day 1

If it’s not good enough and you need gameplay then wait it out.

1,969 games solves the problem, it’s not “limited”, and also gets rid of the spot flippers. People got burned on UM/HW? But you put a deposit down knowing the risk. Now you can just wait it out

#1158 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

In theory Stern sells to distros and most likely have the cash for the orders,or a locked in escrow at the least before they accept the order.The distros are now sitting on inventory and stern is paid for what they built. The manufacturers know they can get prepaid no refund deposits on sales and are spoiled.Why take the risk of sitting inventory if the risk can be pushed on to someone else.Guess we should be happy we can sell the deposits to someone else I guess.

#1159 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My hot take: Spooky is doing the “up to 1969” to help ease the FOMO. That’s a higher number than any game they’ve done - but, they don’t HAVE to do that many unless that demand is there. It’s still a limit, but the limit is flexible (until #1969 in any case). No one has to rush. Scooby maniacs will buy early. We’ll see gameplay or be able to play while they’re still in production, and if you like it - you can order one later and still get one. Win for all, IMO.

I'm happy I don't need to decide Friday.

I am very interested though. Can't wait to see some gameplay!

#1160 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

You start your post off saying you don't like upper playfields, why did you buy UM in the first place when it had two?

Valid question! I admit that I got caught up in the FOMO on that one. I didn’t mind upper playfields. After Ultraman, I was totally turned off by them.

Also, I just wanted to support Spooky at the time.

#1161 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Spooky needs non refundable deposit because they are a small company that needs to pay their bills. $1,969,000 buys a lot of parts and labor to get the game off the ground.

Spooky isn’t new to the Pinball world. This isn’t their first game. They should have PLENTY of money built up in their war chest to run their company on their own. WE don’t need to be their investors anymore.

#1162 1 year ago

Here we go again, watching everyone fall all over themselves for a "bargain" (at nearly 10K now), for a game that's "packed" (fan layout, 75% empty space and an upper playfield that obscures everything else), and already a "home run" even though no one has played it or has seen it played.

Wish Spooky the best, but cmon. At least this should shoot better than their last 3 offerings, but then how could it not?

#1163 1 year ago

I know people are focusing on the non-refundable deposits, haven't a lot of distributors taken this stance as well? Had a deposit on Mando awhile back with a pretty popular distributor, wasn't refundable but I could swap it to another game.

#1164 1 year ago
Quoted from canea:

Here we go again, watching everyone fall all over themselves for a "bargain" (at nearly 10K now), for a game that's "packed" (fan layout, 75% empty space and an upper playfield that obscures everything else), and already a "home run" even though no one has played it or has seen it played.
Wish Spooky the best, but cmon. At least this should shoot better than their last 3 offerings, but then how could it not?

Thank you! I have yet to play a Spooky game that shoots well. They are all so clunky. Say what you want about Stern and JJP, but they know how to perform the base fundamentals of pinball, shot geometry.

People need to drop the home run deal on this until we play it. I sure hope it’s a home run. Spooky needs one after the last release.

#1165 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Spotted some high rez pics on FB
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Twice now I've seen the mine cart trailing Scooby both on the orange wireform and the pink one. Nothing major, but did they take marketing pics of two different pins?

#1166 1 year ago

I'm curious how those lower drops on the left will effect ball movement when random gameplay ball rolls down the playfield and contacts them.
Looks good. Can't wait to see a gameplay vid.

#1167 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

I know people are focusing on the non-refundable deposits, haven't a lot of distributors taken this stance as well? Had a deposit on Mando awhile back with a pretty popular distributor, wasn't refundable but I could swap it to another game.

It’s one thing for a distro to not believe in the product. It’s a completely different thing for a company to not believe in itself.

#1168 1 year ago

$7,700 Standard is a great price point for a pf that plays the same as the $9,700 CE imo.

#1169 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Are you sure on this?
GZLE - if you wanted one day 1, with no gameplay stream, pretty sure a non-refundable deposit needed.
Others will confirm no doubt.

Actually it is to be paid in full.

#1170 1 year ago

$7,700 Standard is a great price point for a pf that plays the same as the $9,700 CE imo.

Agreed. They should show a photo of it before people are asked for a non-refundable deposit.

#1171 1 year ago

That's valid...but I'm yet again caught in little kid xmas mode right now.

#1172 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

This is what I was going to ask as well. People going to town on the non-refundable deposit thing, but who exactly offers refundable deposits? I mean as a stated policy, not a distro you're friends with and do a lot of business with.

#1173 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

It’s one thing for a distro to not believe in the product. It’s a completely different thing for a company to not believe in itself.

Spooky is following the model that got them where they are today, don't think people falling for FOMO will change that. Takes a pretty big belief in something to quit your job and start a boutique pinball company.

#1174 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Spooky isn’t new to the Pinball world. This isn’t their first game. They should have PLENTY of money built up in their war chest to run their company on their own. WE don’t need to be their investors anymore.

One thing that's unique to the selling model of limiting games to 1969 but allowing the customers to choose model, is that they have to wait a substantial amount of time before they pull the trigger on unique parts orders.

Sure, with the gameplay being the same across 3 models, get some bare cabinets, PF's, castle walls, and major mechs on order. But what about cabinet decals? If you sell 1969 CE's, you need exactly 0 Mystery Machine decals. Vice versa if everyone goes SE/BSE only.

Now take that and factor in that many sculpts, habitrail coating, side armor, speaker panels, "SD" start buttons, target decals, and even the toppers are totally dependent on the amount of each specific model are ordered. That is a major strain on procurement, and can also impact the bulk savings on certain items. Must be a logistical nightmare for their buyers, and also puts a lot of buying on hold until there's some sort of idea how much of each unique item is ultimately required.

#1175 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thank you! I have yet to play a Spooky game that shoots well. They are all so clunky. Say what you want about Stern and JJP, but they know how to perform the base fundamentals of pinball, shot geometry.
People need to drop the home run deal on this until we play it. I sure hope it’s a home run. Spooky needs one after the last release.

I disagree on this. People like to say this but what it really means is you are used to what Stern does, and you do not adapt well (or give enough effort) for games with different types of geometry or shoot a bit harder because the shots are tighter. With enough time into a game you can learn how to play them so that they are not clunky. R&M is NOT clunky. It is smooth - once the rail fixes are done. I can agree that they may have needed to work on putting a game together because many did not play well out of the box, but nothing was done (fixed) that was different, they just didn't follow the graphics close enough to round the orbits as they should have been. The design was there, but the assembly line did not follow them apparently. I've played earlier Spooky games that are not clunky either (can't speak to HWN/ULT).

I say it often around here but Sterns are very much samey feeling. I think this is why people praise it so much, they are familiar with little variation in the way that makes you feel like you can't pat yourself on the back for not sucking. Some keep saying Godzilla is so different, but it really isn't. Every manufacturer has a feel, it's always been this way. Some are better than others, some are quirky, some people like some, not others, etc. It's no different now.

#1176 1 year ago

I’m confused by a refundable deposit. Why have a deposit then. Isn’t a deposit a type of contract saying you’ll buy something. If it’s refundable, then there’s no contract or promise.

#1177 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

One thing that's unique to the selling model of limiting games to 1969 but allowing the customers to choose model, is that they have to wait a substantial amount of time before they pull the trigger on unique parts orders.
Sure, with the gameplay being the same across 3 models, get some bare cabinets, PF's, castle walls, and major mechs on order. But what about cabinet decals? If you sell 1969 CE's, you need exactly 0 Mystery Machine decals. Vice versa if everyone goes SE/BSE only.
Now take that and factor in that many sculpts, habitrail coating, side armor, speaker panels, "SD" start buttons, target decals, and even the toppers are totally dependent on the amount of each specific model are ordered. That is a major strain on procurement, and can also impact the bulk savings on certain items. Must be a logistical nightmare for their buyers, and also puts a lot of buying on hold until there's some sort of idea how much of each unique item is ultimately required.

I mean I think they can count on let’s say 500 CEs .. and they get built first so they could already have that many orders in . Most of the bling is done by smaller business , ie back alley Matt

#1178 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

That's quite the reach.

It's a different sales model than JJP/Stern - but it's been exactly the same for every Spooky game.

Put a deposit down on day one and get your game sooner vs later...or wait for a gameplay video and get your game later (or miss out). The choice is yours! No one is pressuring you.

#1179 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:Thank you! I have yet to play a Spooky game that shoots well. They are all so clunky. Say what you want about Stern and JJP, but they know how to perform the base fundamentals of pinball, shot geometry.

Please people don’t use the word flow
I see clunky please don’t use flow
Most overused word in pinball

Spooky games are different that’s GOOD

They play great to me

Let the spooky people buy day one and have fun

You can wait ,judge it then tell people why it sucks

#1180 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That's quite the reach.
It's a different sales model than JJP/Stern - but it's been exactly the same for every Spooky game.
Put a deposit down on day one and get your game sooner vs later...or wait for a gameplay video and get your game later (or miss out). The choice is yours! No one is pressuring you.

It actually is better to get a later run number which has been proven game after game. All the major issues are hopefully solved by then.

#1181 1 year ago

Constructive criticism nitpick/question

Observe on the main inserts the Mystery Gang, the inserts go Daphne, Fred, Scooby, Shaggy, Velma. If you look at major shots on the playfield, they go D/F/S/S/V the same way (Scooby and Fred are on top of each other, but close enough). Similarly you might notice the baddies each have an insert and a coresponding sculpt that also goes left to right on the playfield. This is all very good art design. This is also mirrored in the center playfield art

But the color of the wireworms are brown, blue, green, then orange and purple (they crisscross at the very end). I like that each character has a wireworm associated with them. But maybe the colors should match the character scheme established with the insert/shot art? Then it would be Purple/Blue/Brown/Green/Orange

Not saying it has to be that, but it was an OCD thing I noticed. There's nothing wrong with the way it is.

#1182 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’m confused by a refundable deposit. Why have a deposit then. Isn’t a deposit a type of contract saying you’ll buy something. If it’s refundable, then there’s no contract or promise.

Plenty of instances where putting down a refundable deposit is normal outside of pinball. It's often just a way to get people to be more serious about committing, even if you know you can change your mind putting money down indicates you're pretty into the car or whatever else. But I honestly I can see why Spooky wouldn't want to deal with that.

Pinball people can get 'shiny thing syndrome'. Saw an ad yesterday for someone trying to sell their Fathom remake, before it had even arrived, because they had also pre-ordered 3 other games and didn't have room for them all.

I don't think taking non-refundable deposits on its own is the issue, it's a fair move with the way people can flake out. That can be a lot of cash to have to be able to give back at any given time that could be spent on building the games people are ordering.

#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Please people don’t use the word flow
I see clunky please don’t use flow
Most overused word in pinball
Spooky games are different that’s GOOD
They play great to me
Let the spooky people buy day one and have fun
You can wait ,judge it then tell people why it sucks

I hope to wait, judge it, and then tell people why it’s awesome.

I’m not rooting against spooky here. I’m rooting for them. I’m just warning people to be cautious here.

I was actually interested in this release since word was they were sharing gameplay footage before sales opened. I thought that was a huge step forward from their past business practices. Then that changed…

#1184 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Plenty of instances where putting down a refundable deposit is normal outside of pinball. It's often just a way to get people to be more serious about committing, even if you know you can change your mind putting money down indicates you're pretty into the car or whatever else. But I honestly I can see why Spooky wouldn't want to deal with that.
Pinball people can get 'shiny thing syndrome'. Saw an ad yesterday for someone trying to sell their Fathom remake, before it had even arrived, because they had also pre-ordered 3 other games and didn't have room for them all.
I don't think taking non-refundable deposits on its own is the issue, it's a fair move with the way people can flake out. That can be a lot of cash to have to be able to give back at any given time that could be spent on building the games people are ordering.

Thanks for this explanation…really puts into perspective the different reasons for refundable vs non-refundable.

#1185 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

It actually is better to get a later run number which has been proven game after game. All the major issues are hopefully solved by then.

Yes and no.
Certainly there’s a lot that is learned as the machines get out there in the world.
The owners threads wind up being a wealth of knowledge for fixing and adjusting things.
But yes, bugs and fixes certainly get worked out on later run games.

Personally I prefer to get a game earlier and play the various stages of code as it progresses.
My Rick and Morty is #37, so I was fairly early.
I really enjoyed playing the early code and watching to game progress over time into what it is now.
I also don’t mind getting an early game that I might have to adjust or fix a few things.
I think that’s just part of pinball.

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Takes a pretty big belief in something to quit your job and start a boutique pinball company.

Boutique term left building long ago.
Where the heck is Charlie these days?
Miss him steering the Spooky ship.

#1187 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Yes and no.
Certainly there’s a lot that is learned as the machines get out there in the world.
The owners threads wind up being a wealth of knowledge for fixing and adjusting things.
But yes, bugs and fixes certainly get worked out on later run games.
Personally I prefer to get a game earlier and play the various stages of code as it progresses.
My Rick and Morty is #37, so I was fairly early.
I really enjoyed playing the early code and watching to game progress over time into what it is now.
I also don’t mind getting an early game that I might have to adjust or fix a few things.
I think that’s just part of pinball.

I don't like that aspect really. I'm too old to be someones beta tester when dropping 10k on something. This is one of the worst things about pinball in my opinion.
New fleshed out features or gameplay? Sure, but working out bugs and waiting on game crashing bugs to be worked out? Not so much. These aren't 50 video games, and it's already bad enough there. It's not an overstatement to say that pinball machines are mostly released way before the code is ready and it has gotten worse over time.

#1188 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't like that aspect really. I'm too old to be someones beta tester when dropping 10k on something. This is one of the worst things about pinball in my opinion.

I agree with @coindork…I love being early and finding ways to improve and watching the game mature. I guess we all have our comfort zones…and that’s ok. We all can use our money the way we want. I think anyone can agree with that.

#1189 1 year ago

Dear Spooky,

Please give us some live gameplay tomorrow.

Love,

Aaron

#1190 1 year ago

Charlie is retired . The kids are running the show and I’m here for it. New blood is what I’ve been asking for in pinball and I’m getting it.

Quoted from Vino:

#1191 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Dear Spooky,
Please give us some live gameplay tomorrow.
Love,
Aaron

From my limited understanding…I don’t think this is a Spooky decision. They answer to the people who hold the Scooby license…so all blaming Spooky…it does no good…they aren’t the bad guys.

#1192 1 year ago

For all the random people who like to repeat the line that Halloween buyers somehow are unhappy I have to say "step away from the group-think mentality."

Yes, a lot of flippers were very unhappy and "some" buyers had some legitimate issues with their pins, however..........Time will prove that the Vast majority of Halloween owners are Very Happy with the game so far and I have a really good feeling that this next update will take the game over the top.

Happy owners may not dominate the commentary on this game but we exist and Love our Game!

#1193 1 year ago

Everyone needs to grab they’re favorite device and ………

D50AB53A-C369-4983-B431-F877260745B6 (resized).jpegD50AB53A-C369-4983-B431-F877260745B6 (resized).jpeg
#1194 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's not an overstatement to say that pinball machines are mostly released way before the code is ready and it has gotten worse over time.

I'd argue it's better than it was at the worst period, but you're still not wrong overall.

Anyways, back to trying to be positive. I don't know Spooky DJ, I couldn't tell you a thing about their approach to game code. But this is pretty awesome:

4000 (resized).png4000 (resized).png

That doesn't mean it's a deep game automatically or anything, but just to utilize that many callouts indicates a certain amount of attention to software.

#1195 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

From my limited understanding…I don’t think this is a Spooky decision. They answer to the people who hold the Scooby license…so all blaming Spooky…it does no good…they aren’t the bad guys.

It’s their decision to take money now. If licensor says game isn’t ready to show they can do the right thing and hold off on taking non refundable deposits until it is.

#1196 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

What would change if it was still solely him? You'd still have non-refundable deposits and RZ layouts.

#1197 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

#1198 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

It’s their decision to take money now. If licensor says game isn’t ready to show they can do the right thing and hold off on taking non refundable deposits until it is.

Don't give them yours then and shut up, already.

Have you considered that option? Because it is out there.

#1199 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I agree with Coindork…I love being early and finding ways to improve and watching the game mature. I guess we all have our comfort zones…and that’s ok. We all can use our money the way we want. I think anyone can agree with that.

The 'we can use our money how we want' is a copout to the point I was making. This is a product. You aren't on the testing team. You may enjoy it, so be it, but that isn't a good business model. Do you buy other high dollar items and hope to get to troubleshoot them? Maybe they need to sort the business model to only sell to routes to work out kinks, and then to home buyers. I don't know, but waiting a year or more for the code to get worked out is just a crap of a way to run a business, no matter what the business is.

I know the next statements are along the lines of 'don't buy' and 'you have other games to choose from', but that doesn't improve the situation. These are valid complaints. Clearly some people care more than others, and I've already shown, I tolerate it too but it doesn't mean it doesn't bother me.

#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I agree with Coindork…I love being early and finding ways to improve and watching the game mature. I guess we all have our comfort zones…and that’s ok. We all can use our money the way we want. I think anyone can agree with that.

Well we know that you have no problem working on and fixing games The number of pages for rick and morty fixes to get those early games to play right was overwhelming. But yeah it’s different for everyone depending on your level of skill. But people should agree that spending the amount of money on a new in box pin that we spend should not then be forced to make the game play right or fix a ton of stuff right off the bat. Instead of rushing these games out how about a little, just a little, better quality control would go a long way.

Sending out new decals to a customer that just spent 10 grand on a new in box game that came messed up due to poor QC isn’t a fair resolution to the issue as that person either has to spend time (time is money) fixing it if they can or pay someone to do it. I mean it’s not like they are churning out 1,000 pins a day take the damn time to look it over before boxing it up.

Rant over

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.