20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 130.
#1101 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

On the other side some will be locked in due to FOMO and non-refundable deposits. Just show the gameplay and let the people see and make a decision for themselves and no one gets hurt. Simple ! Maybe Spooky wants to lock the money. Hmmmm! If the gameplay and code is no good people will turn away.
If they like it bingo buy it.

Wait. I’m not sure…are you for or against nom-refundable deposits. And I’m not sure where you stand on the gameplay video before the sale.

#1102 1 year ago

Good job Spooky! You’ve nailed greedy JJP $15k and Stern $13k by not being worried about the few scalpers out there. (Stern and JJP are not looking too good right now.) This alone sets you apart from the rest. Giving value for money. JJP and Stern have forgotten this vital principle.

Let’s see now buy an almost empty TS4 CE for a ridiculous greedy money grab for $15,000.00? Or a loaded Scooby Do CE for $9,769? Gee, which CE to buy, hmmm, tough decision, !

#1103 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

On the other side some will be locked in due to FOMO and non-refundable deposits. Just show the gameplay and let the people see and make a decision for themselves and no one gets hurt. Simple ! Maybe Spooky wants to lock the money. Hmmmm! If the gameplay and code is no good people will turn away.
If they like it bingo buy it.

Just wait to see if you want one.. Hopefully there will still be games available to buy!

#1104 1 year ago

I get it that some people are apprehensive about putting down a deposit without seeing gameplay - I'll be buying one on launch day because I love the theme and I trust Spooky. I own Ultraman and I don't feel "burned" - it's a fun game that continues to get better with each code release.

But if you do pass on launch day and the game sells out, don't expect any sympathy. You are taking a risk one way or the other!

The Spooky model is different. Personally, I'm ecstatic that the CE is not $13k + $2k for the topper like a Stern LE.

#1105 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I get it that some people are apprehensive about putting down a deposit without seeing gameplay - I'll be buying one on launch day because I love the theme and I trust Spooky. I own Ultraman and I don't feel "burned" - it's a fun game that continues to get better with each code release.
But if you do pass on launch day and the game sells out, don't expect any sympathy. You are taking a risk one way or the other!
The Spooky model is different. Personally, I'm ecstatic that the CE is not $13k + $2k for the topper like a Stern LE.

Exactly this! Well said

#1106 1 year ago

here is more of a fun pinball nerd question

is this a 4 flipper game or 3? I can see the argument both ways

#1107 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Yeah, as a Day 1 Halloween order and owner, I don’t feel “burned” or whatever. I was sold a CE version of Halloween, and I was delivered a CE Halloween. What is there to be burned over? If your intention was to actually buy the game, and enjoy it, where was the ‘burn’ again?

#1108 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Have you considered that maybe the bottom side and board set as well as other advancements down there could be a huge positive not a negative surprise?

Could be, yes. But we've heard you raving constantly about absolutely everything during the Ultraman/Halloween launch too, and we all know how much of a drag the development of those have been. Also, your company and main coder completely abandonded RZ and that's still a bad look. Happy for everyone that's excited about Scooby Doo, i'll be sitting this one and future Spooky machines out until they prove they can deliver on code.

#1109 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Most can buy an UM for around/under 6k today - maybe even NIB - for thousands less. HW can be found at a discount as well with new code coming.
Not feeling any risk to wait a bit for a gameplay vid if it’s a good game.

#1110 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

There must be, if I understand correctly this is also a 5 player game. Any game in the past have more than four players? I have no idea.

six million dollar man comes immediately to mind.

#1111 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Aside from calling it a flipper:

fliopper (resized).pngfliopper (resized).png

It looks like maybe there's a standard flipper under the bookcase?

I love that it's something different. I don't really dig on upper playfields but the more I look at this one the more compelling it feels. I dunno. Definitely want to play it. Don't think my frowning at the pre-order before gameplay thing makes me down on the game itself that's for sure.

#1112 1 year ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Yeah, as a Day 1 Halloween order and owner, I don’t feel “burned” or whatever. I was sold a CE version of Halloween, and I was delivered a CE Halloween. What is there to be burned over? If your intention was to actually buy the game, and enjoy it, where was the ‘burn’ again?

I’m not looking to buy a Scooby just to receive a pretty wooden box that says Scooby on it. I expect to get a game that’s as good a layout and rules as other pins I could buy for a similar amount. I expect it to be as mechanically reliable as new pins from Stern and JJP. I expect the software to not crash or be buggy.

Failing any of these points and not providing a timely fix is what I’d consider being burned, because I could easily have gotten better value buying a pin with none of these issues.

#1113 1 year ago

I love this comment dead smack in the middle of people arguing about this or that. It's like the "I like turtles" kid.

#1114 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Most can buy an UM for around/under 6k today - maybe even NIB - for thousands less. HW can be found at a discount as well with new code coming.
Not feeling any risk to wait for gameplay.

And R&M sold out in an hour with spots immediately fetching $1-3k over MSRP. Like I said - it's a risk either way.

#1115 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

You said you were out unless you see gameplay.
So. Go. Come back when there's gameplay.
Nobody who doesn't buy a spot risks losing anything. Perhaps that is too simple a concept for you?

Your blinders are bolted on and that is ok. I am out on buying under Non-refundable contract with no gameplay to make a educated decision for myself. I am all in on the thread and maybe the pin. So Hello I am here to stay!!

#1116 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

And R&M sold out in an hour with spots immediately fetching $1-3k over MSRP. Like I said - it's a risk either way.

Nope. Happy to pay up for an quality game later than lose up front on a not so good one. Seems pretty risk free to be happy with a purchase at these prices.

#1117 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

I am out on buying under Non-refundable contract with no gameplay to make a educated decision for myself.

Really? You don't say? I must have missed that.

#1118 1 year ago

This isn’t a complaint at all, but it is kind of funny how we have all rationalized the idea that a $10k pinball machine is now a bargain.

Congrats to Spooky on what looks to be an excellent job!

#1119 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Really? You don't say? I must have missed that.

No one is perfect!

#1120 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aside from calling it a flipper:
[quoted image]
It looks like maybe there's a standard flipper under the bookcase?
I love that it's something different. I don't really dig on upper playfields but the more I look at this one the more compelling it feels. I dunno. Definitely want to play it. Don't think my frowning at the pre-order before gameplay thing makes me down on the game itself that's for sure.

I would have gotten away with this nerdy question if it wasn't for your meddling facts

Anyhow, it kinda reminds of when you use a Pharba diverter on Shadow as a ramp flipper. I'm sure it's just a standard flipper mech. A lot of diverters are simply a flipper mech with a different bat shape.

#1121 1 year ago

Looks fantastic!!!

#1122 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

here is more of a fun pinball nerd question

More of a three flipper and a bookshelf type game.

#1123 1 year ago

For the record, my Halloween is 4 months in with 300 plays and it's bad ass. Yes, some have problems but a LOT do not.

And the butter... OMG it's beautiful.

#1124 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Yes, some have problems but a LOT do not.

Isn’t the code buggy as hell? That affects all games.

#1125 1 year ago

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I really dislike upper playfields and not being able to see the ball. Aside from that, the game looks pretty interesting.

I would caution those who are going to put down a non-refundable deposit on day 1, without gameplay footage. Just wait. There is a reason Spooky didn’t show actual gameplay footage with Ultraman and Halloween. Don’t let them fool you again. If they aren’t ready to show you actual gameplay, then they shouldn’t be ready to take your actual money.

If Spooky truly believed in their own product, they would allow for refundable deposits. You can go and custom order a vehicle today with a refundable deposit. No reason a pinball machine at 10%-25% of the cost shouldn’t be the same.

I was a huge Spooky supporter. But then Ultraman happened. I thought Spooky would have learned from their mistakes with the gameplay video and non-refundable deposits. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I think the theme is for 8 year old boys and don't care for it at all... but DAMN this pin looks AMAZING!
This is akin to what Toy Story should have looked like.

This was my pinside post #1969. Just FYI.

Pinball is fun!

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

New code drops tomorrow. And I'm not good enough to get far enough yet to see the bugs. It's a hard pin!

#1128 1 year ago

ignoring the countless board set ?’s And the non refund deposits with no gameplay has me thinkin I’ll use this $7200 I got for Halloween to swoop up a SD on CL next year

#1129 1 year ago

Hmmm…. 5 player

Quoted from lpeters82:

There have been games with more then four players in the past, but in this case it makes sense to have the full gang on the case, including Scooby.

Co-op!

#1130 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The only bugs I’ve noticed are some sloppy screen transitions and one instance of text being cut off. Haven’t noticed any bugs that affect gameplay on the current code. I wouldn’t count that as “buggy as hell” but rather “needs polish”.

#1131 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The only bugs I’ve noticed are some sloppy screen transitions and one instance of text being cut off. Haven’t noticed any bugs that affect gameplay on the current code. I wouldn’t count that as “buggy as hell” but rather “needs polish”.

I've only had mine 3 days, but I just noticed that cut off instruction text last night. Haven't had any crashes or anything, so far. Fingers crossed.

#1132 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I really dislike upper playfields and not being able to see the ball. Aside from that, the game looks pretty interesting.
I would caution those who are going to put down a non-refundable deposit on day 1, without gameplay footage. Just wait. There is a reason Spooky didn’t show actual gameplay footage with Ultraman and Halloween. Don’t let them fool you again. If they aren’t ready to show you actual gameplay, then they shouldn’t be ready to take your actual money.
If Spooky truly believed in their own product, they would allow for refundable deposits. You can go and custom order a vehicle today with a refundable deposit. No reason a pinball machine at 10%-25% of the cost shouldn’t be the same.
I was a huge Spooky supporter. But then Ultraman happened. I thought Spooky would have learned from their mistakes with the gameplay video and non-refundable deposits. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

AMEN! Well said! Thank you..

#1133 1 year ago

Man, this looks awesome I’d love to have one. Let’s check my fang clu….*Remembers my Ultraman CE*…I’m excited to play this when I have a chance.

#1134 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

This was my pinside post #1969.

In 11 years too. Time to step it up!

#1135 1 year ago

It’s going to sell out day one. Big swing and a miss with JJP TS4, Stern has struggled to get Bond out and fumbled the launch. It’s not even a FOMO thing at this point. The market is starved for something new and first glance at SD passes the sniff test. I’m probably in on a standard. Love me some Spooky and love me some wide body.

#1136 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain: I would caution those who are going to put down a non-refundable deposit on day 1, without gameplay footage. Just wait. There is a reason Spooky didn’t show actual gameplay footage with Ultraman and Halloween. Don’t let them fool you again. If they aren’t ready to show you actual gameplay, then they shouldn’t be ready to take your actual money.

The best post in this thread hands down! I feel you!

#1137 1 year ago

Has Spooky upgraded the lcd screen? In the past it has been washed out looking.

#1138 1 year ago

Spooky needs non refundable deposit because they are a small company that needs to pay their bills. $1,969,000 buys a lot of parts and labor to get the game off the ground.

#1139 1 year ago

I love Halloween and have played UM enough to know I like it more then Godzilla
Ultraman theme is bad ass

I’ve had issues with my Halloween spooky was there all the way to help

I’ve needed a thing or two on a spooky LONG out of production and they helped me

I’m not some great person to them I’m just a guy who asked for help

I don’t like stern games but don’t feel the need to chime in cause my viewpoint is not the worlds viewpoint.let people have their fun

I’m in on a CE

#1140 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Spooky needs non refundable deposit because they are a small company that needs to pay their bills. $1,969,000 buys a lot of parts and labor to get the game off the ground.

I think a bank could handle that for them.

#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Hmmm…. 5 player

Co-op!

Let me just acknowledge that spooky_dj upvoted a post that mentioned coop play!!

#1142 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I think a bank could handle that for them.

Not for zero interest.

#1143 1 year ago

Wow, very well done, the apron lock for the WIN, chaos magnets, love the up pf, 2 layers of drops on the left, I counted about 15 shots! not including targets! Love me some wide spinners too. The total package looks great, its crazy its this packed yet ts4 and bond are more expensive with far less in my opinion. If we wern't still paying off our SW Prem this would be an instant buy for our family.

#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

They aren’t that small anymore…have sold a ton of games the past few years. But accepting your premise, stand behind the product and show actual gameplay before taking the money. There is no excuse not to.

#1145 1 year ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

You start your post off saying you don't like upper playfields, why did you buy UM in the first place when it had two?

#1146 1 year ago

Only thing that bums me out, is its so limited, I wish the CE was limited to 1969 units and the Standard and BSE had runs over the next few years like Stern does. Id be in for a Standard on a later run 100%.

#1147 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This isn’t a complaint at all, but it is kind of funny how we have all rationalized the idea that a $10k pinball machine is now a bargain.
Congrats to Spooky on what looks to be an excellent job!

Comparing a pinball machine for $10k to other expenses in my life, it’s a bargain.

#1148 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

i agree, as well each deposit becomes a committed purchase contract that will offset risk to a lender for an operating facility.

#1149 1 year ago

There is no way this game will sell out day 1. Spooky is doing the right thing by giving the hardcore fans the opportunity to buy on day 1 by keeping the speculators at bay. Once gameplay footage is released it is a crapshoot if they will sell them all or not. I personally love the non-refundable deposits as they remove the flippers from the equation. Nice job Spooky. I have faith in the team at spooky to stand by their product. It isn't without frustration at times but they've always come thru for me.

#1150 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

Not for zero interest.

But at the interest of the customer makes it harder to swallow for some. Most business get into the bank for funds or have working capital on hand.

Deposits are fine as long as customers are 100%. That's why gameplay videos are really valuable for both party's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 29.00
Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.