20230328_181118 (resized).jpg
20230328_181545 (resized).jpg
20230328_180833 (resized).jpg
BE05C8C4-31FB-43E8-A5E6-337A1E9E9377 (resized).jpeg
43782B1B-4F63-45E0-AD6A-37180D1CC512 (resized).jpeg
6AEE14D4-84AF-46D6-85B5-0E9FD2BAC017 (resized).jpeg
CF8547BD-6F48-4D7B-AC93-A2BDA5F36D65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 130.
#1251 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Spooky was sold out…distros were not. That was the truth.

More like a half truth!

I mean you said 1750 sold in 4 hours. So..you do the math.

#1252 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1500 riding high on R&M trust and credibility.
1969 weighed down Halloween/Ultraman ongoing bad juju.
Not the same circumstance. But hey, if they sell out, great. I'll just be a used buyer down the road if the pin proves itself.

Interesting choices in wording.
I’m not sure what “trust and credibility” and “bad juju” even means, but that’s cool.
Not every pinball machines is going to be as big of hit as the last and on the opposite side of the spectrum some will completely dwarf the last game. It’s no different then what Stern is doing. Personally I think the new Stern Bond is a crappy game that sucks major ass, but that won’t stop me from buying a new Stern in the future.

#1253 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Someone asked if they have a new better lcd screen… anyone know? Not washed out blacks.

Doubt it's any different but you can dramatically improve current one by changing the settings

#1254 1 year ago

Now That's a legit complaint and a good question

Quoted from beltking:

Someone asked if they have a new better lcd screen… anyone know? Not washed out blacks.

#1255 1 year ago

I love hype threads. First I was like Scooby was not a theme for me too ok Scooby is looking kinda cool. Then I show the trailer to my daughter and now she is all in for some Scooby. All the assets and art have just put Scooby on my radar.
With Alien and Scooby at the price they are, it shows you can get a lot for the money and still not have to charge crazy prices.

#1256 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

More like a half truth!
I mean you said 1750 sold in 4 hours. So..you do the math.

Distros had bought 1/2…and the others Spooky sold…what am I missing…I could be wrong…I am routinely

#1257 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Funny, I made it up the center ramp just fine four times in the first five minutes of this video.

Wow. Scooby pin makes Halloween look a decade old.

#1258 1 year ago

Come watch us talk Scooby-Doo hype right now at twitch.tv/pinballnetwork

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I'm willing to bet at least 1000 go to people who already happily own Spooky Machines. Even the ones with the bad Juju.

Which is great for them. Buy what you like. Approach each purchase in your own way. It cuts both ways, so allowing that some people will need more information before deciding and others will jump in blind again shouldn't be a revolutionary idea.

#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Halloween is broken.
You can hit that center ramp 5 times a row…and then get rejections 5 times a row…that’s why there’s an opto half way up it so at least it makes a sound on all the fails. And when you do make it, it just rattles through the diverter
Left ramp is better but still rattles through mostly
Sanitarium ends up largely ignored, watch how much gameplay out there where people let it drain through without a flip
Judith is satisfying but with poor geometry to reliably hit it.
Orbit is pretty clean
House playfield is decently fun and challenging, but it requires you to do business with that broken center ramp
After a few hundred plays Halloween is pretty much reduced to only going for hedge multiball which has 3 satisfying locks and an awesome MB experience with the theme song going.
The rest of it should’ve been redesigned

100%

#1261 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Hope so. Just got my TNA and just ordered the updated screen.

#1262 1 year ago

I love mine. Not all pins are for everyone…and you can’t discredit me for loving mine…just like I can’t discredit you for not liking it.

#1263 1 year ago

Quoted from Vecna:

Wow. Scooby pin makes Halloween look a decade old.

#1264 1 year ago

So you 100% also had 5 center ramp rejects in a row?

#1265 1 year ago

I don't care about the theme.
I am highly unlikely to buy another Spooky after my RM experience.

I will say though, kudos to them for what does look like an engaging and value-packed game.
I hope the shots, code and animation complete the package and make a lot of people happy.

Where the incumbent pinball manufacturers have gone down in value and up in price, Spooky is now the value leader.

#1266 1 year ago

I noticed that the “spooky gang” hasn’t been chiming in here lately…hmmm……
Did they get scared ??

#1267 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

Did they get scared ??

Maybe they wanted to get some sleep. I need some. I've spend a heck of a lot of time on this thread today. Need to get some actual work done tomorrow.

#1268 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

Did they get scared ??

Really!?! They were on here within hours…name another company that has been here. Or are you just….

#1269 1 year ago

Hey Spooky the trailer was great. Can we expect a gameplay video in the next week?

#1270 1 year ago

Just catching up and really disappointed no gameplay tomorrow. They're streaming the game but no gameplay? What? That just screams lack of confidence in the gameplay/code. Simple as that.

Well great first impressions though and I don't have a dog in this race b/c the theme for me is whatever - but man, no gameplay is a bummer. The big question is will it sell out. 1969 is a lot but they sold out of Halloween/UM really quickly and this theme is likely more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if it's out the door within a day or two. Especially this time of year when people are looking to spend. Problem is the game won't be ready in time for Christmas. Note to Spooky - get your new game ready for the holidays. Stern is doing this well with bond. And paging American Pinball - where in the world are you? What a complete miss on their end.

As for whether Spooky is using an updated screen or not - from my experience, that complaint is way over blown. Similar to that dumb hedge mb complaint. I bought a replacement screen (the upgraded one) and when I compared it against my stock Spooky screen WITH dialed in settings, it wasn't a big difference. I wouldn't replace it again is my point. Just make sure you guys are adjusting the contrast on the stock and color settings. Less technically inclined people don't understand this and then complain spooky's screen has washed out colors. Not exactly true.

#1271 1 year ago

I‘m really interested in seeing how this fomo/pre-sales hype works this time.

#1272 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just catching up and really disappointed no gameplay tomorrow. They're streaming the game but no gameplay? What? That just screams lack of confidence in the gameplay/code. Simple as that.

Sorry some misunderstanding on Pinside disappointed you, Spooky never said they were streaming the game just doing a Q/A FB live stream. Sure there will be plenty of chances to buy one after a gameplay video gets done in the future.

#1273 1 year ago

I see a lot of talk about the people disappointed in Ultraman were just a bunch of flippers anyway so who cares about them - take my money, Spooky!

I bought it because I loved my R&M despite it being a bit clunky and Ultraman looked interesting with the multiple upper playfields. I thought Bowen would be helping with the rules. The small snippets in the trailers seemed good. I had no intention to flip it - in fact, I still own it, hoping that one day it might live up to expectations.

So, I'm no flipper and I'm definitely still feeling burned by it. And now they're doing the exact same playbook for Scooby with no gameplay prior to orders going live and I'm certainly not going to be Charlie Brown trusting Lucy with the football in this scenario. I expect the game to sell out day one anyway, which is too bad because that gives them no incentive to actually improve. Luke's non-answer to the question smacks of that whole EA "sense of pride and accomplishment" episode that is the most downvoted comment in Reddit history. Not a good look.

#1274 1 year ago

Yup, the complaints about ramp rejects are absurd. I made a two second adjustment to the diverter and now I can fore and backhand the R ramp reliably in both diverter positions. Game just needs to be set up with correct pitch and leveled perfectly. Game shoots like a dream …no “bad geometry” blah blah if that were actually the case I wouldn’t be able to do speed runs to ‘Boogeyman’ on this thing. It’s a fantastic game.

Quoted from manadams:

Funny, I made it up the center ramp just fine four times in the first five minutes of this video.

#1275 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Sorry some misunderstanding on Pinside disappointed you, Spooky never said they were streaming the game just doing a Q/A FB live stream. Sure there will be plenty of chances to buy one after a gameplay video gets done in the future.

Yeah when a company says streaming and it’s a new game that’s definitely setting up expectations that we will see gameplay. They know that too. Learning opp.

#1276 1 year ago

The price for the CE should have been listed for $9,691. Makes perfect sense to me

#1277 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

Did they get scared ??

Filming the gameplay vid.

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

As for whether Spooky is using an updated screen or not - from my experience, that complaint is way over blown. Similar to that dumb hedge mb complaint. I bought a replacement screen (the upgraded one) and when I compared it against my stock Spooky screen WITH dialed in settings, it wasn't a big difference. I wouldn't replace it again is my point. Just make sure you guys are adjusting the contrast on the stock and color settings. Less technically inclined people don't understand this and then complain spooky's screen has washed out colors. Not exactly true.

That was my experience on RM also. The OOTB settings were horribly washed out, but after a small amount of adjustment it looked fine.

#1279 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Does the mystery machine toy's headlights light up?

Yes. Look near the end of the video, there's a shot of the PF with the mystery machine headlights that appear to be on.

#1280 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

Did they get scared ??

Workday ends at 5pm and posting here sure seems like work at times...

#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Game shoots like a dream …no “bad geometry” blah blah if that were actually the case I wouldn’t be able to do speed runs to ‘Boogeyman’ on this thing.

lol you've admitted here that you rigged your sanitarium playfield to fix geometry problems, blocking holes and making it much easier. You've also had to adjust your center ramp diverter. My orbits register intermittently due to poorly placed switches (which also occurred on R&M). As it ships- the game definitely has issues.

#1282 1 year ago

Not all center ramps on HWN are the same. I played one on location where there were a lot of rejects unless you shot towards the right wall. On mine, I have honestly never had an issue with repeating that shot forehand or backhand. I can pretty reliably get it up there even backhanding a return feed from the inlane lifter on the right. This is at 6.9 pitch and as far as I have found, there is NO flipper strength settings in these games.

Whatever is going on with the center ramp on some games is not a fundamental design issue. I would be in there bending the crap out of things until it worked if I had those issues. I think the ability to chain together multiple pretzel shots on the house mini playfield is critical too. I have heard it's nearly impossible on some games. Halloween does have it's flaws, but these aren't some of them.

#1283 1 year ago

All the “show the gameplay live “ “the deposits are a scam” posts ,to me,have like Kanye West pre complete meltdown vibes

It’s like you’ve discovered something ,and your hell bent on getting a answer,and you want to tell everyone about this thing you think will change everything ,but the problem is nobody else really cares and is like what? but YOU think it’s a really big deal

We like Spooky
We’ve bought their games
We like Halloween
We like Scooby
We are having fun

That’s all man calm down

#1284 1 year ago

Yeah I don't get it at all - maybe it's my machine who knows but the only rejections I get on the ramps on Halloween are basically when I don't hit the ramp well enough - which is exactly the same as every other game I own, be it Spooky or otherwise.

Honestly I'm a bit shocked at my level of excitement - I mean, I was super, super hyped about Bond, I'm a huge fan of the theme and I know I'm getting a good game with Stern no matter what - but after the reveal I was a bit nonplussed by it, and everything I've seen since hasn't changed my mind. This is the complete polar opposite, I'm not really into the theme, but the game itself looks totally wild, and I'm 100% all in.

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Where the incumbent pinball manufacturers have gone down in value and up in price, Spooky is now the value leader.

I get what you're saying here, but I think the value leader is AP. Oktoberfest is absolutely loaded for $7500, and HW is a lot of fun for <$7k. Next would be CGC. Spooky has jacked their prices a lot recently and now sits somewhere in the middle. Stern really jumped the shark with their $13k Bond LE. And to think they used to be the value leader. Interesting times.

#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I get what you're saying here, but I think the value leader is AP. Oktoberfest is absolutely loaded for $7500, and HW is a lot of fun for <$7k. Next would be CGC. Spooky has jacked their prices a lot recently and now sits somewhere in the middle. Stern really jumped the shark with their $13k Bond LE. And to think they used to be the value leader. Interesting times.

JJP = new leader in shark jumping. A nearly-toyless Toy Story pinball machine at 12k/15k. But includes cake toppers.

#1287 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:lol you've admitted here that you rigged your sanitarium playfield to fix geometry problems, blocking holes and making it much easier. You've also had to adjust your center ramp diverter. My orbits register intermittently due to poorly placed switches (which also occurred on R&M). As it ships- the game definitely has issues.

Which NIB’s don’t need work? Maybe CGC are a rare exception. But every one of my Stern and JJP games needed work to get them playing correctly. And that’s with our fantastic distributor who opens every game and re tests it before shipping. It’s especially the case with LE’s/first off the line. Jump into the Rush thread and have a look at the issues that need fixing out of the box.

Mix that with Spooky trying some new ideas and left of centre layouts and there will always be something to fine tune out of the box.

#1288 1 year ago

I get it man..... people want the underdog. Spooky, American Pinball.... etc. Rudy, Jermey Lin, Kurt Warner, Tim Tebow.....
But honestly, IMO Stern does put out a fairly decent product with really good support. I do think that the machine being a Stern does actually stand for something. Alright, let the downvotes begin....

#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I’ll say one more thing about Alice Cooper.
In general the shots are harder then a conventional Stern. Tighter shots etc.
Some people get turned off by this.
There were some at first that were calling Alice Cooper a brick fest when it came out.
I think Alice Cooper is more akin to playing Snooker where as a Stern is more like playing an 8 ball game of pool on a bar table.
It really taught me better ball controll and to aim my shots more precise. In short, it made me a better player more so than any other machine.
I love it now and find it really gratifying when I have a good game.
Totally agree on Halloween with the perfect horror atmosphere. I met my wife in a Goth club and she’s all into horror movies and such and loves Spooky games. Aside from BSD there really are not a lot of pins that cater to a darker theme like that. I think you would really like Alice Cooper for that reason as it nails that vibe as well. Rob Zombie has that vibe as well and if you learn the rule set and how to play it is actually a pretty decent game in my opinion. It’s not “packed”, but it not deserving of all the shit people like to give it. I know a lot of people like to crap on RZ, but it has developed a following among some of us. Production was so limited that at this point they are making their way into the hands of people who like them, so the hate is kind of a mute point I suppose.

Fucking. Love. RZ.

So happy I got it. EVERYONE loves it. Only complaint is that it’s a horrible pin for more than 1 player at a time. Have to just let someone go 3-4 games and then switch out.

#1290 1 year ago

Who's the distributor for Spooky in Australia? Would like to know the MSRP in AUD

#1291 1 year ago

SpookyLuke

So it’s clear there are 7 cases highlighted by the 7 ghost inserts… I’m wondering outside of those 7 ghosts, will you feature other great villains in some ways, like hurry ups or side modes/features?

No case for the creeper, the wolfman (who has a sculpt), red Beard, ghost clown, snow ghost etc.

Would love to see those characters also find their way into the game in fun moments.

#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Who's the distributor for Spooky in Australia? Would like to know the MSRP in AUD

There isn't one. Spooky are leaving sales on the table by not sorting it out.

#1293 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Well great first impressions though and I don't have a dog in this race b/c the theme for me is whatever - but man, no gameplay is a bummer. The big question is will it sell out. 1969 is a lot but they sold out of Halloween/UM really quickly and this theme is likely more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if it's out the door within a day or two. Especially this time of year when people are looking to spend. Problem is the game won't be ready in time for Christmas. Note to Spooky - get your new game ready for the holidays. Stern is doing this well with bond. And paging American Pinball - where in the world are you? What a complete miss on their end.

As far as Bond ask buyers of premiums and LE’s when they are getting their game. It’s not buy Christmas. Owner operators got their pro’s. Stern is not doing well with Bond. This has been a bad rollout.

#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

All the “show the gameplay live “ “the deposits are a scam” posts ,to me,have like Kanye West pre complete meltdown vibes

People are being calm and rational, I dunno why you would have an issue with that.

I'm glad you like Spooky. I like Spooky too. It's okay to be critical of things you like. Asking to please see a gameplay video before putting down cash doesn't make someone sound like a Nazi-apologist who just went on a talk show to talk about liking Hitler. Be chill. And pick better metaphors, that's pretty offensive.

You know why people want to see gameplay videos? Because the game looks great and they're excited about it and care and might even be thinking about buying one.

I sent the trailer to my pinball friend, his response was "initial impression, it's one of the best spooky layouts i've seen". We just want to see it flip.

#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I get it man..... people want the underdog. Spooky, American Pinball.... etc. Rudy, Jermey Lin, Kurt Warner, Tim Tebow.....
But honestly, IMO Stern does put out a fairly decent product with really good support. I do think that the machine being a Stern does actually stand for something. Alright, let the downvotes begin....

Stern puts out a fantastic product. I think people are really spoiled honestly, and they've forgotten what it was like in the Dark Times for pinball. Or they weren't around for it. For you new folk just google "Austin Power pinball".

But small pinball companies changed the landscape in a lot of ways and Stern has had to alternate between catching up and leading.

Before Keith Elwin I think Stern's biggest problem was they were just too safe. 3 pops, under the top lanes. A lot of very similar layouts. Anyone ever play a World Poker Tour and wonder if Gary demanded it had a tradition shooter rod even with that plunge? I think they didn't want to stray from formula.

Before Metallica they didn't even really try hand drawn art. Now it's almost expected for most titles. But that took being dragged. Zombie Yeti has done all these fantastic art packages for them, but they didn't seek him out, freaking Jpop did. He got the Stern job by going into the depths of the boutique stanky mines.

Where companies like Spooky shine imo is not being afraid to try things. They've taken risks. And in some ways I'm 100% convinced they drag the industry with them. Would Stern have rethemed Sea Witch into the The Beatles without TNA? I dunno. I feel like no. That's Scott, but Spooky made it a reality too.

I'm not saying Ben Heck single handedly created a whole homebrew industry, but ... he kinda did. There were other homebrew games being made at the same time as AMH, none of them went into production. Spooky made that happen when no one else was trying, or those that tried failed, badly (cough cough Predator).

I said this before, but if you look at AMH, practically a one man show title, and then you look at Scooby-Doo, so clearly a killer team effort, Spooky has come a really long way.

if it wasn't for the ridiculous prices this would be a pretty sweet time for pinball.

#1296 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

The big question is will it sell out. 1969 is a lot but they sold out of Halloween/UM really quickly and this theme is likely more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if it's out the door within a day or two.

A lot changes in a few years. Keep in mind:

Rick & Morty: Killer theme (adult humor is always desired in pinball), Scott Danesi coming off his hotness of TNA, only 750 units.

After that, the hype was on Spooky. FOMO & Flippers were salivating. We were in that weird Covid time where pinball demand was through the roof. People gobbled up HW/UM thinking they were getting the next R&M. It didn’t pan out that way for some and there was a lot of negativity and money walked away from.

So - going into Scooby…Spooky hype is lower. The market is a bit softer. Buyers aren’t gobbling up anything & everything. Based on this context - I don’t see the game selling out right away.

Prediction: It sells a decent amount to people who love Scooby & always wanted a Scoob pin. People impressed by the package will bite as well. I could see somewhere between 500-800 selling by this weekend. Then it’s up to the game to prove itself. Word of mouth has to chip away at the negative narrative of HW/UM. (For the record, I think my UM is awesome…but there’s a lot of vocal negative noise out there). If there’s a consistent stream of praise…about the quality, gameplay, code, fun factor etc. - that will sell the rest of the units. If there are similar complains like HW/UM…people will pass & go for whatever comes next from Stern or the others.

#1297 1 year ago

I did one of those click-bait reveal pinball videos and I'm now entitled to post it everywhere.

TL;DW: The game looks fantastic and has a lot going on. Spooky widebody, come on, who isn't excitied?!

(it's 45 mintues )

#1298 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Join the Spooky Fang Club. Buy your game from Spooky direct. Make sure you buy the 240V version. Talk to the guys at Spooky and make sure you get your game on the container to Australia. Usually goes to Sydney or Melbourne and then Bill can do the rest!

#1299 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Daddy still wants the Wonka……
I told my wife for the millionth time the the other night Wonka is the last one… and then I said scooby is just a deposit. Once scoot comes out I’ll tell her I got a great deal and it’s only xxxxx and she’ll forget I had to put a deposit down.
Also, I’m listing like a million things for sale in time for Christmas. Old iPhones, iPads, arcade games and cabinets.
So ya… I still want Wonka!

Man I’ve been trying to figure out how to get wonka for so long. I know we’re one’s at new but they want 12,000$ for it. Now Scooby is here I’m like crap I can’t afford both it’s killing me.

#1300 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Man I’ve been trying to figure out how to get wonka for so long. I know we’re one’s at new but they want 12,000$ for it. Now Scooby is here I’m like crap I can’t afford both it’s killing me.

Pinball. The addiction is real.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinbald Mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Other
Severedmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,769.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blue Bell, PA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
There are 6,464 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 130.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.