IMG_1112 (resized).jpeg
100_0962 (resized).JPG
100_0952 (resized).JPG
b6dc946c91d7ab067492a1b55bd88dd9.gif
Pinside_forum_8080234_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyohtay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I ordered a fridge in October for my new place w/ a 2 week window for delivery. Latest estimate from GE was "maybe sometime in April". Luckily my garage works OK for now since it's pretty dang cold here.
GE is a HUGE company and that was the best they could tell me. Imagine being a couple dudes from Sweden LOL.
Supply and delivery chains are beyond hosed right now and there's nothing that can really be done about it unfortunately.

Automakers are going through the same problems worldwide with semiconductor shortages. I'm not surprised its hitting small pinball companies too. If that is the issue, they could communicate that better.

#439 3 years ago

They list RAZA as preorder so interesting they would say in-stock. But they also list Alien with a deposit as a payment option

2 months later
#809 2 years ago

The talk of some switch issues makes me think there's a potential magnetic reed switch upgrade for some of these trouble spots. They are non-contact, so maybe an upgrade option? I did those on my rick and morty on some of the areas that the ball could miss a mechanical switch due to speed/clearance

3 months later
#2038 2 years ago

Has anyone figured out the resolution of the main LCD screen yet?

#2098 2 years ago

Okay, so when we get the pin in our hot little hands, is there a link to download the latest code?

#2099 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

Okay, so when we get the pin in our hot little hands, is there a link to download the latest code?

Found it!

https://pinballbrothers.freshdesk.com/support/home

#2178 2 years ago

Gane arrived yesterday, got it set up today. Muther eject won't alway kick the ball with enough force to kick it out. Does it with the uodated code. Anyone else have this issue? I even put the strength up +50% and no change in behavior

#2196 2 years ago

Got ours Friday, set it up on Saturday. Had to fuss with the muther eject as it couldn't eject balls, whipped up a workaround that barely ejects it at +50%.

Played about 4 hours last night on stream. Game was a lot of fun! Outlanes are very, very hungry

Today, turned it on and got an Cabinet IO not found. Ugh

#2202 2 years ago

Thanks for that should be a key post.

I found that last night after posting and went through and checked. I pulled all those cables, labeled them to prevent any miss assembly and connected in the same location as listed in the doc, still no communication, so I put in a ticket.

Also, the backbox monitor display only comes on in 1 of 3 powercycles, so I think something else is amiss.

#2204 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I was surprised to see you guys were streaming Alien on Saturday night. I didn't watch for long as I'm addicted to those District 82 tournaments that Tom Graff streams. Look forward to seeing Alien more on your stream.
I suspect some sort of mechanical binding on your MUTHR kickout. I bet the plunger is binding on the edge of the kickout opening. I've settled on -45% on my kickout to give me a nice smooth feed to the upper flipper. +50% would likely launch it through the plastic above!

The lack of power was immediately a problem when firing up. I did some adjustments right away to make sure nothing was binding. What I found in the coil test was sometimes it would fire nice, sometimes it would barely fire. When I manually operated the plunger, it sounded like the plunger was binding. I grabbed a chrome plated plunger that was similar, but a little longer and it moved freely without the binding sound. I spaced the mech down to get it positioned to a point where it worked with a slight switch adjustment. it just barely kicks it out at the +50%. This is also on the ticket I put in.

3 weeks later
#2853 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

XV is signed my Sigourney, only difference from the LV. lol

LV gets the signature, the XV gets the certificate of authenticity

#3192 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

That Queen pinball machine is UGLY..lol Looks like someone threw up on a playfield...

Looks very uninspired layout wise

1 week later
#3383 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

I had my machine at Pin a go go this weekend Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It had a constant flow of people playing it. It was very reliable. 3 issues I saw was:
1. One time the mouth closed before the ball on the tongue retracted. Solved with a power cycle.
2. Hypersleep lock did not release a ball. Solved with power cycle.
3. Right slingshot would stick extended (coil retracted). This looks like a mechanical binding between the linkage and the coil rod. It occured 3 times. Once late last night and twice this am. DreamTR Did the stuck slinshot look like this? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

this looks like the linkage has maybe toggled over? If the linkage gets too close to parallel, the links can toggle and the forces reverse and can lock a linkage

Force reversal (resized).jpgForce reversal (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3635 2 years ago

On the sub addition: i plugged in a 3.5 mm jack to the underside of the backbox controller in the green jack (just like a PC) there is a signal active on that channel. Its a fairly weak signal though. We have a small mixing box on our stream rig so I am able to up the gain to pipe direct audio for streaming. You might be able to use that on am external sub if your sub has a gain adjustment

#3701 2 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I received my V3 targets today. Besides the 3D printed "clip", anyone else tried anything else to keep them aligned? They bend out of alignment with zero force in my hand. I'm thinking a thin 3M adhesive I have at hand or just epoxy that sandwich together. Thoughts?

I unscrewed them one screw at a time and blue loctited my gen 3s making sure to crush the star washers

3 weeks later
#4027 2 years ago

New 2.4 code didn't fix our trough issues, only made it worse. Cato said from the logs it looks like a board or cable issue, so he is going to send out replacements. Really looking to get this sorted so we can get some high scores!

2 weeks later
#4345 2 years ago

I think I finally got the trough issue fixed. The eject would occassionally just keep chucking balls into it without launching, so would have to shut off the game, pull the glass and remove them. I took off the coil, carefully cut back the heat shrink to expose the solder. It wasn't soldered very well. I resoldered the wire and made sure it bridged to the coil wire. Cross your fingers, but it seems to work now

#4405 2 years ago

We will be playing Alien tonight at 8pm eastern tonight! I think I got the shooter eject working properly after a little resoldering on the coil terminals, so cross your fingers the shooter eject glitch has gone away. twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

#4407 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Did you update to 2.4 code yet? I noticed you were on 2.2 last time.

Yeah, the multiple balls in the shooter were waaaay worse on 2.4 and wouldn't even go one game, so I had backdated to 2.2D to make it playable. Now that I have resoldered the shooter coil it seems to be working now on some test play *knocks on wood*. it's now on 2.4.

I was surprised that the game would keep chucking balls if it doesn't see the ball launched. Seems like that should be the behavior

#4410 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

(FYI: I'm one of the original programmers from the Heighway days, still consulting with PB...)
The game code won't kick from the trough if it thinks a ball is at the shooter. But, if another playfield switch activates, it may decide that the shooter switch is stuck closed and ignore it. So you may have a "phantom switch" elsewhere that caused that.

Interesting. Next time I have the glass off I will check the switches in test. I think the latest gen of standups aren't getting stuck, but I will check. PB also sent me new trough opto boards, the playfield board for the trough and the outlane eddy board which are replaced. I was still getting the multiballs in the shooter lane with the new boards. Cato asked me to check the shooter eject coil and when I peeled back the heat shrink, the solder work was very cold looking. I reflowed those and also made sure it connected to the coil wire. Play testing the other day seems good. We will see tonight after the game starts to get warm.

Another random item, I also checked the flipper coils after a decent game and they were pretty hot (just like my R&M was). I know my upper right flipper shows fade to the point where the hypersleep lock can't be hit after an hour or so. it's barely makeable when the machine is cool and the flippers are at +50% on strength. Sometime I need to get the thermocouples on them to see what the actual temps are. I have definitely adjusted the flippers over and over to make sure they aren't dragging and sticky.

#4431 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

nice stream last night... i had to jump, how many glitches?

We had a total of 3. I think the first one the ball got stuck at the top of the shooter and the game kept trying to launch a ball not in the shooter lane. Second was the multiple balls being fed into the shooter (that's the one we keep having) and the third had a game glitch when I got the Hypersleep multiball, the LEDs seemed to stop changing and stayed in rainbow colors and the ball was 'lost' in the trough, so the game lost a ball, even though they were in the trough.

#4432 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

FYI Cato is investigating on my machine that the hypersleep ramp is over bent from factory... this may be an issue for a few machines out there. There is a very pronounced, hard, bend at the very start of the ramp that saps ball energy preventing momentum from carrying the ball up the ramp to the chamber. This may be reason for the need to "overdrive" the upper right flipper coil to even have a shot at making the ramp. More to come.

per zacaj 's recommendation, I turned the upper right flipper down to 0% and was still able to hit the hypersleep. That increased setting was leftover from 2.2D, so I never changed it back. I did seem to be able to hit it all night. it's a tough shot and it did get more difficult through the night. Some flipper cooling might be in order for us as we play for hours at a time. I also did peel the plastic paper off the coil to expose the windings to ambient air. PB uses 2 wrapped layers and it's a plastic paper, so its a nice insulator. Next time its open, I am going to peel all the flipper coil wraps off.

1 month later
#5301 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

i added a small led strip to backboard of playfield.. actually over that area. set it to deep blue color and dimmed it down.. Knowing what i do now about them, you shoudl get some diffuser channel to deaden the glare of individual leds on playfield. May work better.. that is next on my list.
see post 5261 for the images.

Awesome, once your done if you can share the P/Ns I would appreciate it! that area is dark

#5327 2 years ago

Smashed the last game of the night in yesterday's stream: 516,643,220

20220130_000954 (resized).jpg20220130_000954 (resized).jpg
#5337 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

duuuuude..madness. Getting hypersleep multi by itself is a challenge with that wicked shot... I tried for like an hour and half. What i did notice is the flippers starting to fade out on me from heat? I am going to install flipper fans and see if the flippers stay nice and crisp.. LOL.

Everything was just working for me that game. If Ed hadn't had to make a rush restroom trip and I jumped back in to keep up the entertainment, we would have stopped streaming before that game. I was satisfied by an earlier 365mil game where I was close to completing all the modes and multiballs. Alien gods were smiling on me yesterday.

Both games are hightlighted on twitch if you go to the wilddogarcade twitch page

#5360 2 years ago

henning JDub03 The green headphone jack in the backbox computer is active! We use that for our streaming rig. Downside is its not a headphone jack, output volume is linked to the volume button.

#5375 2 years ago

Okay, two good games from Saturday are now uploaded to the youtoobs.

364 mil

516 mil

1 week later
#5519 2 years ago

Last game of the night, got to All Out War.

Check the VOD at twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

20220213_001128 (resized).jpg20220213_001128 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#5874 2 years ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Yep those are gen 3.. the whole thing is the target, the switch / led board and the target together make it up.. those 2 screws that hold it all together.. little loctite on the thread on the bracket and tighten will help keep parts from "spreading" when it.

I blue loctited all of my targets when i changed fron gen 2 to gen 3 and have not had any spread

#5877 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Blue loctite on the 2 screws that hold target together ?

Yeah, those two screws on each target that hold the whole stack together. when I received my replacement gen 3s, they were pretty darn loose. I pulled each screw one at a time and applied loctite. Let that cure for a bit before swapping them out in the game

3 weeks later
#6361 2 years ago

Playing our Alien SV tonight! 9pm EDT twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

3 weeks later
#7013 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

Oh sweet! To move it do I need to unassemble the right ramp sitting over the top?

Both posts above the lanes are adjustable. If I remember right they are slotted and were easy to adjust

1 month later
#7754 1 year ago

I've noticed a lot of loops to the left side that the posts fire and miss, letting the ball continue on the orbit instead if dropping into the pops. Posts work just fine and don't bind, but they don't seem to have any/very little 'hold in up position' time. Most of the fast orbits seem to get caught, but a medium roller will fire and drop the post before the ball gets there allowing it to orbit to the right.

1 month later
#8415 1 year ago

We are playing Alien tonight at 9pm ET! twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

1 month later
#9781 1 year ago

Has anyone tried the ldvs to hdmi v20 converter board and got it to work? I have it installed and the lvds passthrough works, so the main screen boots up. I am getting no hdmi signal. I have tried all the jumper configs and no change. I hooked up the wires like in Hurry Up Pinball's tutorial. I have the same board working in Rush. I really want to get direct video out for our streams

https://geekworm.com/collections/others/products/lvds-to-hdmi-adapter-board-converter-with-lvds-cable?variant=39521988771928

20220905_150741 (resized).jpg20220905_150741 (resized).jpg20220905_150744 (resized).jpg20220905_150744 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10014 1 year ago

We have always been a little dissappointed that the white inserts that replaced the screen were aestetically off from the rest of the artwork when lit, so I got some gel filters (from Amazon) for lights & added them under the playfield. I used 2 layers of the gels to deepen the color. I also spaced that board away from the playfield to make room for the gels and the glue. Much improved!

IMG_20220915_193629 (resized).jpgIMG_20220915_193629 (resized).jpgIMG_20220915_194036 (resized).jpgIMG_20220915_194036 (resized).jpgIMG_20220915_194111 (resized).jpgIMG_20220915_194111 (resized).jpg
#10031 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Oh man that looks way better! Was just gonna have a relaxing saturday but now Ive gotta do this. Thanks for the great idea!

Yeah, i color coded the weapons to match the symbols to boot. Way easier on your eyes and isn't a bright section in the middle of the playfield now when lit. Can't do anything when they're off unfortunately. They are RBGs, would have been nice it they just color coded them in the programming instead of just white

3 months later
#12037 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm curious about this as well. I might just buy a nice cable just to see.

The main backbox screen is LVDS. Only the airlock screen is hdmi

#12180 1 year ago

We're streaming Alien tonight at 9pm ET! twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

1 week later
#12438 1 year ago

Alien streaming tonight at 7pm ET. Loaded up 3.1 and 0.71 fw to give it a whirl.

twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

3 months later
#13874 1 year ago

Well, the special Alien Day thing is just a $426 discount, not the code drop we were all hoping for.

https://twitter.com/PinballBros/status/1651185333243895811?t=IDbkF0-dwPVAlB6LqKhCAw&s=19

5 months later
#15735 6 months ago

At expo, they had a video with all the new scenes, we took some videos of it, but we have to put them together when we get home

4 weeks later
#16258 5 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Would love to see the game play on all out war.

Here's a vid with All Out War

#16265 5 months ago
Quoted from calprog:

so cool. Thanks for sharing!

No problem! Glad you enjoyed it

#16370 5 months ago
Quoted from dri:

I thought I saw a streamer doing direct capture of the video on Alien. Does anyone remember who or have the solution for it?

I have tried to get direct capture and haven't got it to work using the LVDS-hdmi boards. I would LOVE to get direct video for streaming and add an apron screen. I never remember to look up at the LCD

1 week later
#16477 4 months ago

RIPLEY CODE! Tonight we will be debuting the New Ripley Code on Aliens!

Sun Dec 3rd at 7 pm ET!

twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

IMG_20231202_221055 (resized).jpgIMG_20231202_221055 (resized).jpg
#16480 4 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Is the Code available to download?

No, its not available yet. We were provided the code to stream it!

#16483 4 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

When you stream tonight, can you go through the adjustment changes and such as well as gameplay? Curious to see what setting changes are provided in the build.

Sure thing! We were provided a synopsis of the changes.

1 month later
#17260 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

I agree, eventually that may be a solution. Also looked at the backboard like 86Pixels did for Tron but too far away to be helpful.

Do you remember the jumper settings you used on the capture board? I have been trying to direct capture the screen for a while now.

#17286 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

That’s the board, and this is how the connections look inside, with the short at ground and S1 for higher resolution monitors, hdmi to hdmi mini depending on the display chosen.

You don't happen to have a pic of the connector plugged into the computer? I hooked up everything just like that on a couple tries in the past. I wonder if my two different capture cards just didn't like something with the signal? Going to try just hooking up a spare monitor next to see if it pics up the signal

#17291 3 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You have to use the exact board (V20) I linked above. Other boards do not work - I tried several before I found the one that worked.

I have 3 of those, tried them all. Any monitor I have around doesn't see a signal with any of them. I tried using an HDMI splitter box too. Even switching OBS to different resolutions doesn't see anything. This baffles me

#17294 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Did you short the resolution switch on the board to single 8?

I tried all options on the jumpers. Nothing

At this point I wonder, since my game was a very early one, that if have different motherboard or a different display causing config differences. Seems odd that I cannot get this to work.

1 month later
#17850 62 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone tried replacing with leaf switches ? I seem to remember this being discussed but I can’t find it

I did this mod to one of the PB Alien switches on my game with a leaf stack to give it a whirl.

I started with an unused Data East target stack I had lying around. Carefully disassembled and dremeled the targets off both.

Reriveted the clear Alien one on the data east leaf. I clipped off the microswitch from the target board.

To get the LED high enough, I carefully filed the holes to slide the LED board up. I trimmed a tiny bit off the inner leaf so it wouldn't hit the LED.

I also decided to use the stiffer back bracket because the stock flat blade gets bent back pretty quick, causing airballs and eventually the microswitch gets hit and breaks off the board. I might have to file a groove in the playfield to fit it.

I also elongated the backing bracket to raise it up so the top of the target hits the bracket to limit the travel.

Soldered the 2 wire connector on the switch.

I ended up dremeling a slot in the playfield so I could use the stiffer L-bracket. Especially on the target I took a picture of. It gets hammered and seems to work pretty good now. Its a lot more sensitive to light hits now.

PBL now has clear block standup targets, so next time I would order those to start and not have to worry about re-riveting the clear head.

20240208_193224 (resized).jpg20240208_193224 (resized).jpg20240208_193235 (resized).jpg20240208_193235 (resized).jpg20240208_193248 (resized).jpg20240208_193248 (resized).jpg20240208_193256 (resized).jpg20240208_193256 (resized).jpg20240211_093815 (resized).jpg20240211_093815 (resized).jpg20240211_094236 (resized).jpg20240211_094236 (resized).jpg20240211_094603 (resized).jpg20240211_094603 (resized).jpg20240211_113055 (resized).jpg20240211_113055 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#18649 18 days ago

We have installed the beacon and flasher kit on our machine, so Join us for some Alien pinball tonight at 7 pm ET and check it out! twitch.tv/wilddogarcade

IMG_20240405_122308 (resized).jpgIMG_20240405_122308 (resized).jpg
#18650 18 days ago

Following up with my last post, our install video for the Beacon and Flasher kit is up!

#18653 17 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

By the way, you mentioned the ethernet cable is too short to connect the board, is that just a CAT 6 cable or something else I should go to Lowes/homedepot and pick up?

We have a very, very early game, so who knows if the later ones have a longer cable. If you need a longer one, I believe you have to use a special ethernet cable called a 'patch' cable. I don't think a regular one would work. Luckily, I am a packrat with cables and I happened to have several 'patch' cables in a bin. Take a look at the labeling on your current cables and see if you have shorties like I did in the video and note what they are. I don't remember off the top of my head if they are Cat5 or Cat6 patch cables.

Lowes/homedepot might not have patch cables, that might be an Amazon purchase

1 week later
#18786 5 days ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

How do you run the cable on the back right flasher? This video shows a hole back there but there isn't one mine. Did he drill this hole?[quoted image]

Hi there. Yes, I did drill a hole to pass the wire through instead of squeezing it around the side. I just used a uni-bit of the right size

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyohtay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=coyohtay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.