IMG_0500 (resized).jpg
IMG_0498 (resized).jpg
IMG_0433 (resized).jpg
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_4535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 10 years ago

Advice needed. CFTBL was my first game, built March 1993 and purchased used by me December 1994. The original holo is a bluish-green now. Should I stay with the original holo and change the projector bulb to a brighter LED bulb that should generate less heat? Or should I install the OEM WMS hologram that has been stored since I ordered it by part number from the manual in 1994? Or should I install PinballMikeD's kit and the flatscreen color TV under the lagoon plastic in the playfield and continue to save the OEM holo? The game says "in 3-D" and only a hologram achieves that. But the MikeD kit has nice graphics displayed in the lagoon for all the various game modes. My buddy likes the lagoon being dark until you light the holo. He says it makes it special when it lights up if it isn't on all the time. Which would you run in the game?

NOTE: I already have the LED projector bulb, stored OEM hologram, PinballMikeD kit plus TV and several spare lagoon plastics, so I can install any of the three options I choose.

#138 10 years ago

Don't you hate it when you hit "reply" (like I just did) when you meant to hit "edit" and end up with a second post instead of fixing your first post?

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

Can you program the LCD kits?

His kit is terrific. It allows you to store additional video clips of your choosing to the ram and select which videos to show during which modes through his control software. If I install his kit and the color TV I would want images displayed during all the various modes (I am not as enamored of the lagoon being dark most of the time as my buddy is). But the images would still only be 2-D on a flatscreen TV (but below the surface of the lagoon plastic, so does that make them technically 3-D?). Only the hologram is real 3-D, hence my dilemma.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I just picked up my first CFTBL and it needs a new DMD.

If it needs a new DMD then upgrading to a ColorDMD is a no-brainer.

2 weeks later
#187 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I was relieved when I was finished building my game room.

The stress comes back when you're totally out of space in your game room and find another pin you just have to get.

5 months later
#286 9 years ago

Remeber, if "a new car" ever does get selected from the snack bar menu, you'll be getting a 1993 Dodge Neon (back from when the game came out).

1 month later
#305 9 years ago

My CFTBL (with ColorDMD, lit taillights speaker panel, snackbar EL-wire, green undercab lighting, Pinball MikeD TV-mod under lagoon plastic, and proto 3-D translite) plus Creature movie poster to the left.Creature with mods.jpgCreature with mods.jpgNote the originally intended placement of plastic piece over left outlane, which makes a 3-D image with the left slingshot plastic under it.my first three games.jpgmy first three games.jpg

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Looking very nice.

Thanks in part to your fine EL-wire snackbar mod. I know my Creature has several mods on it, but I am actually selective about adding them to my games. For instance, I only have a few mods on my TZ and they make dozens of them for that game.

2 months later
#427 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

What caused the hologram to go blue? Is it the bulb that is going?

Degradation of the hologram itself. Nothing to do with the bulb. Some original holograms still look good, so it isn't just turning blue (or black) due to age alone. My Creature was built in March 1993 and I bought it in late 1994 when it was less than two years old. My original holo still looks good and I have a brand new OEM hologram (not for sale) that I ordered from Williams through my distributor many years ago as a backup (because I intend to keep the game until I die).

6 months later
#539 8 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

This game is quickly becoming one of my all-time favs.

It was my first pin (manufactured in March 1993 and purchased by me in December 1994) and has always been a keeper. They say TZ has the most mods available for it, but CFTBL has several of the very best mods:
lit taillights speaker panel
ColorDMD
deluxe mirror-bumpers speaker panel plastic
EL-wire snackbar mod
MikeD lagoon TV mod

1 year later
#1361 7 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

I have the colorDMD and agree that its perfect. PinballDecals has the tail light mod on their website. They seem pricey, is it worth it in your opinion?

The lit taillights speaker panel is one of the best mods made for any pinball game. But the pricey one listed on that website isn't the same one some of us have (that's not currently available). I watched the video of that panel and it doesn't light up as nice as the "good" one (for one thing the S-T-A-R-L-I-T-E" sign doesn't seem to light in as many ways). And the panel pictured on that website isn't like the later run of the other panel, where the circuitry is recessed into the back side of the panel so it doesn't interfere with mounting a ColorDMD.

People talk about the myriad of mods available for TZ (and I have a few of them myself), but some TZ mods just clutter up the playfield and obstruct your view of the ball paths. Some of the very best mods ever were made for CFTBL, including the lit taillights panel, ColorDMD, Pinball MikeD lagoon TV/video mod, and Swinks EL-wire snackbar. I have all of those mods plus bulbs changed to all LEDs and a prototype 3-D translite on my Creature.

1 week later
#1390 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Anyone have a Tail light LED kit they are looking to sell. For sure a must have!

Quoted from swinks:

Car with tail light or fin tail light mod?

I think he means the lit taillight speaker panel mod as mentioned in some posts above on this page.

6 months later
#1585 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I had purchased a new replacement plastic that came masked off in the back.

Yeah. The best way to go was to buy a new deluxe speaker panel plastic with the bumpers on the cars done in mirror finish.

#1587 6 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

who did you buy it off from?

I got mine from Bay Area Amusements, but it currently shows as out of stock. Ministry of Pinball also used to offer it.
chrome bumpers (resized).pngchrome bumpers (resized).png

1 week later
#1599 6 years ago

That's the worst alternate translite ever for CFTBL.

1 week later
#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

Installed the armor today photos don't even come close to how cool it looks.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

It looks too dark for me...

My CFTBL came with a stainless lockdown bar and painted black legs. I kept the stainless and upgraded the legs and leg bolts to black nickel (from Chris) and added black levelers. It is subtle but very classy. I'm sure it's too dark for you, Alex, and going gloss black powdercoat instead would look similar and would have been much cheaper. But my Creature deserved it and I really like it.

#1668 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm reaching out and will attempt to work with swinks on bringing an [affordable] version of the signpost mod that will illuminate the various sections from behind (and eliminating those incandescent bulb holes in the plastics
since I never had any intention of marketing my project (I can't see people wanting to pay upwards of $500+ for the mod).

I'm interested, but I'd rather pay the $500+ for your original idea of three displays replacing the three plastic placards.

1 month later
#1724 6 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Bad flipper button wear on both sides. Wear around FILM. Cabinet cracked around shooter rod. GI appears the be out.
And badly needs a shop.

Sorry, but I would just walk away from this one.

3 months later
#1951 6 years ago
Quoted from cloudburst:

Strangely, I have zero interest in other tables.

Your life will be much easier if you stick to that one-game-only mentality.

1 month later
#2006 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Countless hours were spent developing the programming. The delays aren’t attributed to the RPi, but rather the pinball machine trigger signals. Originally we had the MOD responding faster, almost 2x as fast. However, that resulted in false trigger conditions, meaning videos would often played when they shouldn’t. We decided to compromise the start times in exchange for ensuring the right videos were always played.

I have a feeling that the version under development will run into the same trigger timing issues.

1 week later
#2020 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-pinblades
They’re not bad, but something about them seems a little off to me.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/creature-black-lagoon-pinball-sideblades/
These ones blend in with the backboard decal. But I feel like the drive-in theme ones are a little more appropriate.

I also prefer drive-in themed sideblades for CFTBL. I don't like bringing the orange hues from the back panel up both sides because the orange doesn't go well with the colors on the main playfield area. At last year's Pinball Expo I asked the Pingraffix guys to please make PowerBladez for CFTBL similar to their sideblades but with the tailights turning on and off. Maybe if we started a thread and got enough Creature owners on Pinsider to request PowerBladez?

1 month later
#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Anybody using the chase change module from RS technologies? Looks pretty cool.

The listing says it has ten different sequences (1 factory + 9 custom) but it doesn't cycle through them. You have to use the selector switch to choose the one you want to run. I might be interested if it cycled through all the variations during a game, but not interested in paying that much money just to change to a single light sequence different than stock.

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

There are only two balls. That gives you some semblance of control.

Always start multiball by sending one ball up the left ramp to the whirlpool and keep sending it back up the left ramp every time it feeds down from the whirlpool to the right flipper. This "parks" one ball out of the way (while whirlpool revolutions advance the jackpot bonus multiplier) letting you use the remaining ball to find the creature and then save the girl. And once you've saved the girl if you don't go for jackpot right away you can continue to send one ball up the left ramp and shoot the other ball up to the jet bumpers to increase the jackpot value. And after collecting the jackpot use the same strategy to activate super jackpot (one of the coolest jackpots in all pinball).

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

You made that sound so easy.

Creature was my first pin. Mine was assembled in March 1993 and I bought it used in 1994. It was my only pin until I added IJ and TZ over a year later. I loved playing it using that strategy to build up jackpots and jackpot bonus multipliers while the hologram was lit up in the lagoon. After more than twenty years I changed over to the MikeD mod to see images in the lagoon throughout the game, and now I kinda miss seeing the hologram.

5 months later
#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Shout out to fellow pinsider @60grit for his outstanding modification - the Chase Light Board.

Thanks for the recommendation - just ordered one.

1 week later
#2349 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Love the Creature and the theater stanchions and velvet ropes.

Looks cool, but I don't think that velvet rope is strong enough to hold back the Creature and keep him contained.

And I agree: you can't claim it has every Creature mod if you don't have the lit taillight speaker panel (or MikeD mod).

4 months later
#2437 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Is this really what creatures are selling for? This seems a bit over priced to me.

This is Pinside, which means that price is too high if you're looking to buy and too low if you're looking to sell.

2 weeks later
#2469 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Just remove any protection and let the hole get all blown out, and it becomes a lot easier!

CFTBL was the first pin I ever purchased. Built in March of '93 I got it in late '94 and it was in pretty good shape. Being a noob back then I did not realize that the snackbar hole was already worn. 25 years later the game still plays great and still is in great shape - except for the snackbar hole. I see that Mirco has just reproduced CFTBL playfields and I contemplate dropping a grand on one just because of that hole wear. But the game already looks and plays great, so I probably wouldn't actually take the time to install the new playfield. So why should I buy a playfield for it? Just so I can say I have it if someone criticizes the worn hole? Am I that concerned with impressing others with my possessions? I'm not just being rhetorical; I'm actually asking these questions. I'm still considering spending the thousand dollars while CFTBL playfields are still available (just to have it) and am looking for opinions.

1 month later
#2552 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

I would check the snackbar-scoop. Perhaps it has a sharp edge which messes up your balls.

I thought every guy knew to keep their balls away from anything with a sharp edge?

1 month later
#2664 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I just received my mirrored backglass today and wow! it's simply beautiful

Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Pictures please!

Quoted from j_m_:

I still need to pick up all of the plastic framing rails to put it in my machine.

That new mirrored backglass looks amazing!

(It also looks startling and shocking.)

3 years later
#4896 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

How do I find out what is causing this?

Your ground short was obviously caused by having an artblade on one side only and none on the other side.

1 week later
#4928 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

I wasn't content with the original Hologram and set out to make it better. I decided I wanted some clips from the original 1954 classic to play in place of the hologram.

Replacing the green hologram of the creature with b&w 2-D clips from the movie may be a decent alternative for a bad hologram.

But two previous video kits have replaced the hologram with color 2-D animations of the creature AND added color animations for other modes, so something is always playing on the screen. Those kits can be an upgrade even for a machine with a good hologram.

10 months later
#5499 5 months ago
Quoted from Ypaddave:

I've never received "a new car" when hitting the snackbar.
What do you get when you get "a new car"?

Quoted from slochar:

It's a joke entry, you can't actually get it.

If you ever did get awarded a new car, you'd just be yelled at to move it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 24.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 27.95
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 40.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cftbl-fans-and-members-welcome?tu=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.