(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 251.
#351 11 years ago

Gambit was featured well in the very forgettable Wolverine movie. I sure do wish that movie was better, as I saw it 3 times in the theater, simply because the theater is across the street from my house and is a bar.

I'm interested to see how this game is going to shape up, we're probably looking at a July or Aug launch, making it direct competition with WOZ so I wonder if they'll be pulling out all the stops.

#352 11 years ago

Yeah you'd think with it being the head to head with woz, it's going to be top notch. But maybe that's what they are using AC/DC for? A little worried that ac/dc buzz is going to hurt x-men (rightly or wrongly, we'll see soon).. How hard is it for them to knock 2 of them out of the park back to back? I'd like the x-men theme better , but the buzz has me looking really hard at a ac/dc pre. I'm also someone who doesn't get the TRON love at all, so Borg makes me nervous. Prob cause I'm a toy whore and TRON doesn't have anything that engaging to me in that regard.. Which also has me on the fence about ac/dc.. Bell seems cool but no MM castle.

#353 11 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

the theater is across the street from my house and is a bar.

Theater is a bar? Where is this mecca of cinema of which you speak?!?

#354 11 years ago

I love Borg games. He is my favorite designer going back to GnR. Everyone has their favorite designer for their own reasons.
I'd be more concerned with Avengers at this point than Xmen.

Xmen is going to be something special I think.

#355 11 years ago

Yes, this will be the first "Stern Borg" with a realistic BOM and also (hopefully?) a polished set of rules. Borg should thank JJP

#356 11 years ago

This is my 2 cents: The guy who said "Lets only make 400 Tron LE's" needs to rethink things BC IMO if stern made 1000 units their profits would have been much larger and thats what its all about, PROFIT and survival nothing else. I have ran my own company and if I had made a mistake like this I would be rethinking my whole production department. Companies make mistakes all the time. Its how they recover from them, learn from the mistakes moving foward and the ability to adapt to the changing market that ensures survival and growth. In the mean time you have people cashing out bc of supply and demand making some of that profit that stern has left on the table.

#357 11 years ago

I disagree completely. The 400 Tron LEs were the best thing they could have ever done. It helped to instill the "gotta pre-order my LE or I'll miss out!" mentality for future models.

#358 11 years ago

The difference between Stern and JJP, with regard to the # of LE vs regular run is twofold:

1) They make more $$ on the Pros, and sell more Pros to Europe than any other machine, anywhere else. That is their primary concern as far as filling orders, as it keeps them profitable. They can't bog down the line with 1000 LEs, zero of which would go to fulfill European orders.

2) Stern produces multiple titles every year. JJP has the line time to devote the entire factory to producing LEs. Stern doesn't. They do produce at least 1000 LEs every year (just like JJP) - it is just that Stern makes multiple titles of LEs. And sells them all. Swap the numbers however you want. If Stern took the time to crank out 1000 TRON LEs, it would just mean that fewer AC/DC LEs would have been made. Or fewer X-Men LEs, or whatever.... They don't go dark on that factory floor for days at a time, so it isn't as if the line is dead today and they could be building TRON LEs. They are on to something else.

#359 11 years ago

Very interested in a Borg X-Men pin as it should be fast and furious.

HOWEVER I am concerned that this may be the last DMD. So, I spend serious coin on X-Men LE only for Avengers to come out with a totally new LCD system that immediately dates DMD's ( and WOZ will be out ).

This is a dilemma I am wrestling with. I am going to try and hold out for Avengers ( all those movie clips on an LCD screen and hopefully a shaker for Hulk Mode

#360 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

The 400 Tron LEs were the best thing they could have ever done

What do you think Stern wanted to do in this situation? Make more profit? or Scare consumers into pre-orders?

So you think that Stern left over $1 million in profit (this is just a guess) on the table to scare you to "gotta pre-order my LE or I'll miss out"? Now that does not make sense to me. The real reason your scared it bc you feel the production will be limited and there wont be enough to go around Hence Stern leaving "MORE PROFIT" on the table again. Does this sound like a smart thing for them to do....as a surviving company that wants to make profit?

#361 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I am concerned that this may be the last DMD.

I don't know if I consider this a bad thing, or worry about it making X-Men "dated."

(Heck, look at the last B/W DMD game....Cactus Canyon. Not like people hate that one or find it undesirable).

If anything, I'd be proud to have an X-Men...the last of the DMD's. If it totally kicks butt, it'll be a fitting end to a phenomenal era. Ultimately, it is the gameplay that will decide if it is a winner or loser...or how it holds up to newfangled machines with LCD's.

My only REAL worry is that an Avengers LCD:LE will cost nearly $10k. =)

Pete

#362 11 years ago

They aren't missing any profit from LE sales, because they are building LEs that sell. Just not TRON LEs. See my post 2 above yours.

#363 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

If Stern took the time to crank out 1000 TRON LEs, it would just mean that fewer AC/DC LEs would have been made. Or fewer X-Men LEs, or whatever...

I do agree with you. But it is a problem that they have.

They should be thinking about a way to make 1000 LE without sacrafice to other titles. Wouldnt that be smart on a profit end? Expand to the supply and demand "or" leave profit on the table. If im running the company I will chose any option that does not leave profit on the table.

#364 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

They aren't missing any profit from LE sales, because they are building LEs that sell. Just not TRON LEs. See my post 2 above yours.

So you think that if they were able to produce more tron LE's the AC/DC LE sales would of suffered on a 1 for 1? So 300 more tron le sales would = 300 less ac/dc le sales? Im sure some people would of not been able to afford an ac/dc le if there were more tron le's but few and far between. Also any company would trade a "sale in 5 months" for a "sale today".

#365 11 years ago

Since Avengers LE is rumored to be a Super LE just like AC/DC it will be close to if not over $7K. Ughh.

#366 11 years ago

Keep in mind, a few years ago pinball was circling the drain. Although prices are up, game play and design is being pushed to a new level. I honestly i am just glad pinball is back and pushin the envelope. I now have a chance to buy nib a game that could be the next holy grail. Of course we miss the days of 2-4000 dollar games being a dime a dozen but realistically we all hope for what is in front of us. It's now like cars I can buy the stripped down version or save and plan to afford the one with all the beeps and whistles. Maybe it means fewer machines in your basement but it also
Means there is a larger group of collectors to meet up with and play other machines.

#367 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

So you think that Stern left over $1 million in profit (this is just a guess) on the table to scare you to "gotta pre-order my LE or I'll miss out"? Now that does not make sense to me. The real reason your scared it bc you feel the production will be limited and there wont be enough to go around Hence Stern leaving "MORE PROFIT" on the table again. Does this sound like a smart thing for them to do....as a surviving company that wants to make profit?

Interesting but again I do not agree with your take on it. Why do you think they're not going to continue "premium" models? I believe it's to continue this mindset. If you aren't willing to roll the dice on a full featured game you haven't seen, you'll miss out. As far as profits go they can continue to raise prices and sell a similar number of games.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying about Stern though. I didn't say this was Stern's long term design with limiting Tron LE to just 400, I'm saying this was the effect.

#368 11 years ago

Pics! Pics! Pics!

#369 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Since Avengers LE is rumored to be a Super LE just like AC/DC it will be close to if not over $7K.

If its LCD, make that 8k. That's why the X-men is appealing to me, it may just be the last NIB I can or will actually afford. Though for a kickin RE pin, I may have to stretch the budget some.

#370 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

RobT said:
If they thought they could make more money by doing something else, including what you suggest, you can be sure that they would be doing it. Why wouldn't they? Just to screw with you?

You are assuming that companies always will make the right decision to increase profits. Many times they don't and the business goes under or does not reach maximum profitability. It is a different opinion neither mine, Baiter's, or yours is fact just different takes on the issue.

Ahh but the fact that Stern has survived this long says that Stern AND ONLY STERN has been making the right decisions all these years and gives more weight to RobT's take.

Pappy

#371 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

jackal2001 said:Since Avengers LE is rumored to be a Super LE just like AC/DC it will be close to if not over $7K.
If its LCD, make that 8k. That's why the X-men is appealing to me, it may just be the last NIB I can or will actually afford. Though for a kickin RE pin, I may have to stretch the budget some.

Why do you think LCD means more expensive? LCD technology is very cheap now. Now if they were going to put an OLED screen that would be something different.

#372 11 years ago

Because they have to recoup the cost of the investment in programming the tech and getting new boards made.

It will cost more.. how much who knows. I guessed pro's would go up 300. So Distro cost would now be 4100 instead of 3800

#373 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Why do you think LCD means more expensive? LCD technology is very cheap now. Now if they were going to put an OLED screen that would be something different.

As AkumaZeto already pointed out, its going to cost more for the change over of their boards, programming, design, ect. I'll bet it will drive the price up more like $500 each unit. Also, it gives them a justification to run the price tag up some for the new feature so, you have a markup effect as well.

#374 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I disagree completely. The 400 Tron LEs were the best thing they could have ever done. It helped to instill the "gotta pre-order my LE or I'll miss out!" mentality for future models.

Bingo!!!

This is exactly what I've been saying. Add this to what Gambit said above about releasing multiple titles per year, and it makes sense (and is obviously working for them).

The Tron LE's didn't sell out immediately. There wasn't a huge demand for them from the very start, that came after the pin was released and people started to realize how good it was. So now people will have a stronger inclination to pre-order the next LE so they don't miss out. Exactly what Stern wants.

Did they leave some profit on the table by not making more Tron LE's than 400? Obviously. Hindsight is 20/20. But look what they did with AC/DC, they've made more of them in anticipation of higher demand. Looks like that's going to turn out good for them.

#375 11 years ago

Good grief! Folks should have to be pretty smart to pay for these expensive toys. All retailers forecast. And its better to come in short and use all your resources than to be left holding the bag. Just good business. Once they finish they stay on schedule for the next production which has labor, parts etc bid out and ready to go. It is idiotic to think you stop your entire production to try and guess how many more of something to make and the time and energy to re source everything. You move on. Yes, you wish you captured every profit dollar but if you are moving forward and keeping costs and production in line then you are a viable company.

#376 11 years ago

I don't mind LE's but what is the point of an X-Men Pro if it only has magnet but no spinning disc?? I could live without mirrored glass, powder coating, even extra code but not the main toy being reduced.

Stern just lose a sale if they do this.....

#377 11 years ago

Still just leaking hints on FB. Just posted some cells in the shape of Xs with a mutation.

#378 11 years ago

Repost that stuff here if you wouldn't mind

#379 11 years ago

I am excited for the PRO model since I could NEVER justify the pricetag of the LE, but if they drop a main toy on the PRO and only offer it on the LE, they lost my sale too.

At least with TRON they had the vision to add bling and lighting for the LE owners and leave the gameplay the same. I'm hoping we are wrong and the PRO has the same gameplay, if not this is a major mistake for Stern.

I don't mind LE's but what is the point of an X-Men Pro if it only has magnet but no spinning disc?? I could live without mirrored glass, powder coating, even extra code but not the main toy being reduced.
Stern just lose a sale if they do this.....

#380 11 years ago

From Stern's Facebook page today

551583_10150904514499244_136972659243_.jpg551583_10150904514499244_136972659243_.jpg

#381 11 years ago

X-Men Facebook

551583_10150904514499244_136972659243_.jpg551583_10150904514499244_136972659243_.jpg

#382 11 years ago

#383 11 years ago

Deja - vu!

#384 11 years ago

Way to go Stern. now ya got me figuring out what I need to do to buy one of these dang things. Especially if it is the comic art. Anybody want to come over and buy some machines!

#385 11 years ago

I have my deposit waiting! Rumor is that it plays better than Tron!

#386 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I have my deposit waiting! Rumor is that it plays better than Tron!

Is it as fast as IM? Or faster

#387 11 years ago

Is anybody still predicting that the next pin is Avengers, and not X-Men?

=)

Pete

#388 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Is anybody still predicting that the next pin is Avengers, and not X-Men?
=)
Pete

Douche Bag owes me a 100 bucks but we have not heard from him in some time huh.

#389 11 years ago

He doesn't owe it until the announcement is official. Which seems to be never coming....

#390 11 years ago

FB post is gone. That was all of 2 seconds...

#391 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

FB post is gone. That was all of 2 seconds...

That is how Jody doubles his work load for the day. Put a pic up, 1/2 the work. Take it down, the other 1/2.

#392 11 years ago

I just keeping thinking how good this game is going to look next to my TRON! side by side ..........ahhhh where are the pictures! Lets go bub!

#393 11 years ago

More posts on FB..
STERN PINBALL, INC.
What is your favorite Disney movie?

#394 11 years ago

Since so many people have money tied up in woz, it makes sense to do some counterprogramming for this title, including making it cheaper. Hence a very different license (different ftom what stern usually does and way different from woz) and a much lower price. That there isn't going to be a premium seems to imply that the pro and the LE are not very different gameplay wise. More Tron than AC/DC, if you know what I mean.

#395 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Stern produces multiple titles every year. JJP has the line time to devote the entire factory to producing LEs. Stern doesn't. They do produce at least 1000 LEs every year (just like JJP) - it is just that Stern makes multiple titles of LEs. And sells them all. Swap the numbers however you want. If Stern took the time to crank out 1000 TRON LEs, it would just mean that fewer AC/DC LEs would have been made. Or fewer X-Men LEs, or whatever.... They don't go dark on that factory floor for days at a time, so it isn't as if the line is dead today and they could be building TRON LEs. They are on to something else.

One of Stern's strong points from a consumer perspective is to move onto another title rather than milk a title until no one wants it any longer (which is JJP's business model). I think here you are missing this piece in your analysis:

There is no reason Stern is required to cap production to 10k annual production numbers and try to distribute those counts amongst 3 titles w/up to 5 models per title. They should be able to expand their production output to meet demand so that unexpected ACDC demand doesn't cut into X-Men production, and so they can re-run more Trons or SMs.

A short term alternative is to change their current allocation of 8500 Pros+1500 LE/Premium to, say 5000 Pro+5000 LE/Premium (or whatever, based on demand), so they make more money without the cost and risk of expanding the assembly line, but they chose to limit the LE production and Premium availability regardless of demand. It is an odd business model and a bit of growing pains for them, but I'd like to think they'll get back on the right track after X-Men.

#396 11 years ago

X-Men Facebook

Attachments 551583_10150904514499244_136972659243_.jpg (11 KB, 2 downloads) 2 hours old

That does it.....I just put my deposit check in the mail for an LE!

#397 11 years ago

You area assuming a whole lot about Stern's books. First, they sell way more Pros than LEs because there is more overall demand of Pros than LEs. Again, Stern has repeatedly acknowledged that the European Operator market is what keeps him afloat. Second, we have no idea of Stern's margin between a Pro and an LE model. The LE takes obviously a significant amount more $$$, resources, labor and time to produce. My guess is that they realize similar profit margins on both Pro and LE models, but can produce Pro models at a rate of 1.25-1.5 to 1. Extrapolate that out on a timeline of production, and the choice becomes clear as to which is the better business model.

Ultimately, the clamoring for more LEs is about TRON LE. And it is the people that didn't buy it but want it now, after it turned out to be a home run, that are doing the complaining about Stern's "Business Model." No one is crying for more Avatar LEs. Or LOTR LEs. Or even AC/DC LEs.

#398 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Ultimately, the clamoring for more LEs is about TRON LE. And it is the people that didn't buy it but want it now, after it turned out to be a home run, that are doing the complaining about Stern's "Business Model." No one is crying for more Avatar LEs. Or LOTR LEs. Or even AC/DC LEs. (Or....Transformers LE, too)

Wow.

This....this hits the nail on the head.

#399 11 years ago

Agree to disagree I guess. I and others think they should always offer premium and are leaving some dollars behind with such limited LE runs. And for the record I could care less about the Tron LE I love the game but decided not to get it when it came out and am fine not having it now.

#400 11 years ago

I would guess the per unit margin on LE's is a good deal more than on a Pro. Just based on the MSRP difference of 1500-2000. There isn't that much more machine in an LE, there's probably a couple hundred bucks more in parts and a few more hours of labor. Development cost difference are a bit more cloudy; either they pay more to decontent the original design to pro level, or pay to content up a Pro.

And the demand created by artificial limits probably sells more units than if they sold them as premiums. Plus they can forecast resource allocation better, which has a reductive effect on cost. LE's move pre-orders, premiums not so much because the perception is 'unlimited, I can wait'. When in reality all a premium is is a limited run where the limit isn't announced. But ultimately they don't keep making them to meet demand. If the promise of a non-LE was truly unlimited, they would still be running Tron Pro's.

The reality is that Gary, and maybe to a larger degree his investor are still trying to figure out the most efficient way to make money. So these inconsistencies around pro/LE/premium appear to be some thrashing as they work their way along the learning curve to that golden formula that will most efficiently move our dollars to their wallets.

My $0.02 anyway.

Also, I'm in for a Good Guy LE, SNIKT SNIKT!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.