(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 251.
#9501 9 years ago
Quoted from frg:

... found it Even though it was posted within the 10k posts not only once, here we go again!
Great stuff - thanks to all the contributers!

X-Men Pro/LE Rules / Rulesheet - Latest Code: v1.51

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXQg7NEYahyzLrrT-E3WXAmhKNtT-eVfqc5GEWZdHL0/edit#

Maybe it should be in its own thread so people can bookmark it as a favorite.

#9502 9 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Maybe it should be in its own thread so people can bookmark it as a favorite.

I just clicked on the link and bookmarked the site itself.

#9503 9 years ago

Well, I made nearly a 500 mile round trip yesterday to pickup an HUO XMEN Wolverine LE! The game looks extremely nice and I can't way to play it after work today. I enjoy games that have very deep rulesets and from what what I've read and seen XMEN certainly has one.

I took yesterday off to pickup the machine and my wife asked me "Do you think pinball becomes an obsession when you are taking a day off of work, renting a van and driving to another state to pickup a pinball machine"? Nah, haha.

#9504 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Wait...it wasn't posted in here before, or it has been posted multiple times, but was lost in the 9.5k posts?

It was posted before... at least twice
Sorry... that was maybe expressed in german english

#9505 9 years ago

Xmen does have very deep rules.

Also fun that you might not be good enough to see everything in one game by you can pick your Villians so that you can play a few until you get tired of those than pick different Villians on later games.

Plus you can play with hero stacking on or off makes for more variety.

Plus as bad as the first rules were when the game shipped, it's fun to check out the original rules if you can find a copy as it has different rules, dots, music, callouts etc.. For example you can't even start playing Villians until after you battle Magneto. This was interesting, wish there was an option still for that so you could concentrate on the heroes first.

#9506 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Plus as bad as the first rules were when the game shipped, it's fun to check out the original rules if you can find a copy as it has different rules, dots, music, callouts etc..

Yeah, remember the Wolverine mode with all of the wanted posters that you were ripping through?

Quoted from rai:

For example you can't even start playing Villians until after you battle Magneto.

Yup...you had to hit all the hero shots before going after Magneto. Then, after the Magneto Multiball, THAT's when everything opened up...hero modes, villain modes, everything. Until that first mmb....everything was locked out.

After that, you were lucky to see one or two villains, and maybe a hero or two.

I still think that early code is the most impossible-to-clear ruleset in pinball history. I'd almost bet my house that nobody could make it to Dark Phoenix on the default settings of that first code.

#9507 9 years ago

First code. ?

No Weapon-X was there?

Did have cool music and dots and callouts as well.

But was the scoring broken or what?

Think I'm going back in the rules vault to play that again. Anything but the X-mas crap pack where every shot had Wolverine saying 'watch it bub' how the hell did that code get out?

#9508 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

First code. ?
No Weapon-X was there?
Think I'm going back in the rules vault to play that again. Anything but the X-mas crap pack where every shot had Wolverine saying 'watch it bub' how the hell did that code get out?

When the game shipped you were forced to start Magneto MB which did not calculate the points towards your score.

#9509 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

First code. ?
No Weapon-X was there?

Is some of the music from the early code no longer in the game?

#9510 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is some of the music from the early code no longer in the game?

Oh yea. I'm sure there is some video footage of early code somewhere here.

What I really liked was some of the dots and callouts.

#9511 9 years ago

Would be cool if Waison did something like what happened with Cirqus Voltaire and put the final polish on.

#9512 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Oh yea. I'm sure there is some video footage of early code somewhere here.

Here's a vid that I did in the first week that I had the game, shows that old Wolverine mode, and the basics. (Old Wolverine mode starts at about the 3:15 mark).

There are some other videos up there in my channel, like my first game ever, and a few other "early code" vids, along with the 1.2 code update.

Pete

#9513 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Here's a vid that I did in the first week that I had the game, shows that old Wolverine mode, and the basics.

I love the old music that plays in the first part of the video. I'd love to see them add that in again! And some of the callouts have been dropped too.

C'mon Waison, show some love and give us one more update!

#9514 9 years ago

No real excuse to not have the individual character callouts and animations when you first hit their shots. What a waste of programing time, effort and resources.

After watching the above video and remembering some things...

Why not have the music as it was then...pre-Mags Multiball music and then post Mags multiball music?

Why not have that Wolverine mode...after you beat it he is considered "collected"?

Weapon X multiball could be re-purposed and either start directly after Wolverine is "collected" or after a Wolverine hit after half the heroes were collected. If you get the Weapon X super jackpot....you collect another hero (preferably one that has been attempted and failed). Weapon X multiball would only be played 1 time per game (at least until the game is beat and the modes reset...the modes do reset right? )

Why cut out the cool random award cycling sound effect?

All of these things are things that are already in the game...all they would need to do is reinstate them....but...I'm doubting it will even see a final "reset the modes" bug fix. Again...what a waste of programing time, effort and resources.

#9515 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

No real excuse to not have the individual character callouts and animations when you first hit their shots. What a waste of programing time, effort and resources.

I agree

#9516 9 years ago

The game is very fun as is… A bunch of unused content that's already been visible in previous versions screams finish me!

#9517 9 years ago

How cool would it be if X-Men got a nice update code like Tron did a while back?

#9518 9 years ago

Man, here's what I noticed in that old code vid:

- The spinning magnet is a TON better now. So glad they improved that.

- No music when inputting the high score? Colossus doesn't "grunt" when throwing the Sentinel head for the match sequence? Seemed so odd to realize those weren't there when I first got the game.

- Yeah, the old Wolverine mode is lost forever...but the Weapon X mode is a lot cooler animation-wise. I'll even take the huffing-puffing Wolverine music.

#9519 9 years ago

Anyone know Waison? I've read some people say that it's done, but seems like the last update wasn't really a must fix, and the release notes read like there could be more coming.

#9520 9 years ago

What game is Waison on now? I haven't been keeping up with who has been working on what.

Seems like I heard he was on WWE, and was a fan.

#9521 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

What game is Waison on now? I haven't been keeping up with who has been working on what.
Seems like I heard he was on WWE, and was a fan.

Waison is on WWE (lead programmer) along with 3 other programmers according to Sterns WWE video.

#9524 9 years ago

I'm toying with joining the club via a Magneto purchase. If I do, is the new mezelmods ball a must-have mod? Sounds like it would be good.

I've only played maybe 5-10 games on XMLE in the past so still don't have a great feel for the game yet.

#9525 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

If I do, is the new mezelmods ball a must-have mod? Sounds like it would be good.

I don't know if it is a "must have" for all users. Some people hate the Wolverine bash toy and will be racing out to get the mod...and some are fine with it as-is.

I'm on the fence. I like the mod, but it's not like I'm upset with how the game is currently.

#9526 9 years ago

I'm toying with joining the club via a Magneto purchase.

By the way....join the club. The game is awesome...

#9527 9 years ago

I'm toying with joining the club via a Magneto purchase. If I do, is the new mezelmods ball a must-have mod? Sounds like it would be good.
I've only played maybe 5-10 games on XMLE in the past so still don't have a great feel for the game yet.

No. It is not a must have. Get the game and play it for a while and then make a decision. I have a stock LE and I love it. I think it is fine just the way it is.

But for those who feel differently it is nice that there is this mod.

#9528 9 years ago

It's an awesome game. I just picked up a HUO Wolverine LE HUO and can already tell that it will be in my collection for a long time. The game has so many shots up top and makes great use of the third flipper. The rules also seem very deep. Based on what I've read and played I think XMEN may be Sterns deepest game next to LOTR and TSPP.

#9529 9 years ago

What goes on top of this? Any pics of mod installed?

#9530 9 years ago

It would be cool we could impart the traveler ball's motion into movement that could be used to move a figure on top of the assembly. Though it could make it even harder to start weapon X .

-c

#9531 9 years ago

9500 posts and still going strong.

#9532 9 years ago

I'm looking to get both the newton ball and protective belt / repositioning mod for my Wolvie LE.

I have already repositioned my Wolvie, but he has moved a bit and his elbow nub just catches balls enough to drop them SDTM. I haven't had the mental strength to go back in and try to mess with him more until I have other things to try.

I would like to order both solutions at one time and the LE belt is still not ready as far as I see. I would also like to try the new belt / reposition solution before the newton ball as it's not as drastic and wouldn't involve me removing and reattaching the switch from the mounting bracket.

I am looking forward to trying out the newton ball solution, but I can see it making Weapon X multiball too difficult for me. As it is with fat Wolvie it isn't a gimmie getting the super jackpot on Weapon X multiball mode. Having a smaller shot to hit every other shot in the mode is bound to be harder. The way the multiball is started it's pretty much imposable to start if you fail it the first 2 times. What is it 20+ hits or something like that to start it the 3rd time? It should have been a certain amount of hits to start (4 to 6 hits). If you fail him it goes higher (10 to 12 hits). If you fail him then it stays at the second starting amount to restart him (10 - 12 hits). When he is beat he is done and no more Weapon X multiball (just as the other beat hero mode should have been).

So I am looking forward to trying the newton ball, but not until after I have tried the repositioning protective belt.

#9533 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

repositioning protective belt.

What is this?

#9534 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I don't know if it is a "must have" for all users. Some people hate the Wolverine bash toy and will be racing out to get the mod...and some are fine with it as-is.
I'm on the fence. I like the mod, but it's not like I'm upset with how the game is currently.

The beauty of the captive ball mod it that it is completely reversible.

Just keep all the old parts, and slap em back in if you don't like the captive ball.

But once the change is made, I doubt anyone will go back.

Balance of the game is much better.

rd

#9535 9 years ago

RD, I think I saw a post of yours somewhere that you mentioned XMLE being one of your favorite pins out of the 100+ you have. That is an impressive statement if that is correct and I'm remembering correctly. I don't remember where I saw something along those lines.

If you did say that, what makes XMLE stand out in your opinion?

#9536 9 years ago

RD, I think I saw a post of yours somewhere that you mentioned XMLE being one of your favorite pins out of the 100+ you have. That is an impressive statement if that is correct and I'm remembering correctly. I don't remember where I saw something along those lines.
If you did say that, what makes XMLE stand out in your opinion?

Hmmmmmm where to start .....

It's a challenging game. I like challenging games.

Lots of shots. Tight shots. Makes you play better.

If you go back to the beginning of the thread, you'll see I liked it from the start. A lot of others bought the game, found it too hard, then their egos told them if they couldn't play it properly, the game must be crap. In truth it was them that was crap. . At one stage, probably a year after release, I was one of the only guys pushing how good the game was.

There's been a lot of crapping on the code, and in truth Stern was very very slllllowwwww with the code updates. But nothing has changed in that regard, check out STLE code ... But Xmen still had the killer layout.

Awesome art too. I have a Magneto and everyone who sees it just goes wow. I'm so happy they used the cartoon characters rather than the Movie guys. Movie guys date fasssssst. The art on Xmen is timeless. I was in a comic book shop with my daughter a while back, I showed the owner pics of my machine and he almost pissed his pants he thought it was so cool.

I think in say 5 years, XMLE will be seen as one of Borgs best games. If not the best. So much going on, so many modes (two different sets of modes for starters) Whereas a game like Ironman is basically using a hotrodded System 11 ruleset. And hey, nothings wrong with that! I love my Sys11s!

So, after all that blathering, I guess I could sum it up thus ...

If you like to aim the ball correctly and nail the shots as required (or learn to do so...) Xmens one for you.

If you like to flail the ball around willy-nilly and hope for the best, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

rd.

#9537 9 years ago

Also, IMO, X-Men LE has the BEST light shows.

#9538 9 years ago

www.mezelmods.com already have one for the Pro model. It is a protective base that the original Wolverine figure base slides into. This protects the figure from wear around the belt and also from stress on the back area where it is normally mounted. For the Pro model it is made to protect the original figure.

The one that is being worked on for the LE is the same type of thing but the back mounting area is to be angled so when it is mounted...the Wolverine will be moved out of the Beast lane, as he normally is on the LE game, and will be positioned more like the Wolverine on the Pro model games. So the mod made for the LE is really serving 2 purposes. 1 to protect the the original Wolverine figure and 2, to reposition him so he is out of the Beast lane like he is on the Pro games.

#9539 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmmmm where to start .....
It's a challenging game. I like challenging games.
Lots of shots. Tight shots. Makes you play better.
If you go back to the beginning of the thread, you'll see I liked it from the start. A lot of others bought the game, found it too hard, then their egos told them if they couldn't play it properly, the game must be crap. In truth it was them that was crap. . At one stage, probably a year after release, I was one of the only guys pushing how good the game was.
There's been a lot of crapping on the code, and in truth Stern was very very slllllowwwww with the code updates. But nothing has changed in that regard, check out STLE code ... But Xmen still had the killer layout.
Awesome art too. I have a Magneto and everyone who sees it just goes wow. I'm so happy they used the cartoon characters rather than the Movie guys. Movie guys date fasssssst. The art on Xmen is timeless. I was in a comic book shop with my daughter a while back, I showed the owner pics of my machine and he almost pissed his pants he thought it was so cool.
I think in say 5 years, XMLE will be seen as one of Borgs best games. If not the best. So much going on, so many modes (two different sets of modes for starters) Whereas a game like Ironman is basically using a hotrodded System 11 ruleset. And hey, nothings wrong with that! I love my Sys11s!
So, after all that blathering, I guess I could sum it up thus ...
If you like to aim the ball correctly and nail the shots as required (or learn to do so...) Xmens one for you.
If you like to flail the ball around willy-nilly and hope for the best, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

rd.

i agree all you've said, except : XMLE will be seen as one of Borgs best games. If not the best

TRON is the best (for me), a quite similar reverse design, but TRON didnt get any flow "bug", as for example in XMLE : ball blocked on ramps behind NC, airballs on left ramp & rogue... some minor details of course, but than these makes you realize than TRON was just a masterpiece

#9540 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i agree all you've said, except : XMLE will be seen as one of Borgs best games. If not the best
TRON is the best (for me), a quite similar reverse design, but TRON didnt get any flow "bug", as for example in XMLE : ball blocked on ramps behind NC, airballs on left ramp & rogue... some minor details of course, but than these makes you realize than TRON was just a masterpiece

I like Tron. But XMen is better.

rd.

#9541 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

You can fix the airballs on Rogue by using a plastic ramp guard from WH2O in the Rogue lane (there is an old thread about it on here with pics). The Storm ramp does result in airballs at times and I have still not figured out the exact spot where it jumps off or I would have a fix for it too.

#9542 9 years ago

RD: You da man!

XMenLE and AC/DCLE are supreme rulers. But at the same time, Abra Ca Dabra and Frontiersman are top notch too!! XMENLE the very best fun for the $$$. I did not realized this at first. Pinball rules!!

#9543 9 years ago

TRON LE = X-MEN LE.... 2 amazing games

#9544 9 years ago

See I was dissapointed with XMLE as well, was going to sell it a year ago, hardly ever played it. But after I had listed it for sale, no one was really interested anyway. So I started playing it a lot more as my last hurrah before I traded it for Avengers or similar unloved game.

As I played it, started making Beast/Gambit shot more, Storm shot more and got better at the Vilains. I really started to love it.

I still prefer Tron and IM but XMLE is really close up there imo.

#9545 9 years ago

I am joining the club....1 owner HUO stock Magneto. Woo hoo!

Did this pin come with a shaker? If not, is a shaker a must-have for an increase in the experience?

What other mods should I consider? I'll probably play it some before considering the Newton Ball mod.

I've only played maybe 5-10 games on a XMLE in the past so will probably get my feet wet for a bit before modding it up more than a shaker if that is really suggested.

#9546 9 years ago

does not come with a shaker.

#9547 9 years ago

I didn't think so. Seller didn't think so but wasn't sure off the top of his head. Is that a highly suggested mod?

#9548 9 years ago

I just put in a cointaker shaker. If you dig the music and theme, i'd say it adds to that. It shakes a fair amount, whereas some games I didn't really notice the shaker.

#9549 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

does not come with a shaker.

Yes a shaker is a must have, especially with hellfire multiball, beast, etc. You won't be disappointed. Sorry quoted from wrong person

#9550 9 years ago

Excellent. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 12,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 251.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/191 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.