(Topic ID: 16030)

X-Men - Official Club Thread All Welcome!

By pmWolf

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
20231210_114221 (resized).jpg
20231210_114216 (resized).jpg
20231210_114212 (resized).jpg
20231210_114207 (resized).jpg
20231210_114159 (resized).jpg
20231015_221002 (resized).jpg
20221212_175404 (resized).jpg
20231202_132135 (resized).jpg
IMG_9543 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
gg (resized).JPG
xmen (resized).PNG
MB (resized).PNG
20230806_161030 (resized).jpg
IMG_2846 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9492 X-Men Ramp Post mod Posted by bballfan (9 years ago)

Post #9499 X-Men 1.51 Rulesheet Posted by frg (9 years ago)

Post #9522 Link to newton ball info Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #9523 Newton Ball purchase link Posted by pmWolf (9 years ago)

Post #11002 New Magneto figure installed. Posted by vbittnv (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#379 11 years ago

I am excited for the PRO model since I could NEVER justify the pricetag of the LE, but if they drop a main toy on the PRO and only offer it on the LE, they lost my sale too.

At least with TRON they had the vision to add bling and lighting for the LE owners and leave the gameplay the same. I'm hoping we are wrong and the PRO has the same gameplay, if not this is a major mistake for Stern.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I don't mind LE's but what is the point of an X-Men Pro if it only has magnet but no spinning disc?? I could live without mirrored glass, powder coating, even extra code but not the main toy being reduced.
Stern just lose a sale if they do this.....

1 week later
#1144 11 years ago

They just lost my sale. This was a BONEHEAD move. While I can live without a real backglass, shaker and trim, removing main components of the game to create a PRO model is inexcusable.
I guess they don't want to sell any PRO models.

Quoted from mnpinball:

rai said:

any details about the difference of LE from the pro?
Pro=no spinning magnet disc, no trolls, no 3rd moving ramp, no real backglass, no powdercoat trim, no shaker (although code will support it).

1 week later
#1858 11 years ago

I wouldn't say they were a fail until seeing it in person. At least give them the benefit of the doubt. They may just look great on the machine in person with the lighting, at the correct angle, etc.

Quoted from JoeJet:

I guess the point is... big "Feature" was custom molded toys vs off the shelf and its ironic they are being replaced while most of the off the shelf toys (aside from a few say tron light cycles) are kept on most Stern pins. I think its fair to say those dolls were an epic fail.

1 week later
#2085 11 years ago

Does anyone know when the PRO model is shipping?

#2152 11 years ago

What a cool way to produce a flyer! It looks fantastic! Way to go Stern!

#2267 11 years ago

Nobody has been able to take any video of the test games yet?

#2345 11 years ago

I think the never before seen toy was the telescoping ramps (or whatever they call them)

#2509 11 years ago

Really guys, play the game before making rash determinations. The elements, playfield layout, designer, dots and sounds are all there for an incredible game. Perhaps fridays video will give us a glimpse of the XMEN experience.

1 week later
#2834 11 years ago

That is a great video because JB gives a nice explanation of the rules of the game and the features.
We now know how the nightcrawler pop ups are implemented, tha bash toy works, the big vuk, magnets, spinning disc and how the movable ramp works. I don't think he missed any feature explanation.

The DMD effects look great with the drawn characters. How long has it been since we've seen that?

I think it looks great and am glad they didn't give away the music and call outs so we all will be surprised when we play it! 2 wizard modes? AWESOME!

#2952 11 years ago

The problem with scoop wear was not from the front where the ball kicks out, it was from rolling into the sides. Any TRON owners that didn't put a protector in the scoop hole have wear now guaranteed. Mine was showing wear the first week until I inserted the Mantis protector. The protector comes up to around 5mm from the lip of the scoop hole and protects the wood from wearing. No wear ever again. I would imagine this same protector would work in XMEN, but it would have to be measured of course.

Quoted from pinballslave:

Normally yes, Tron had a piece of rectangular mylar in front of Flynns arcade scoop to cover the whole ball land area... Transformers, however, doesn't have mylar where the cannon kicks out... so it's not for granted that's for sure... If there's none where needed, I'd put some there to be sure!

#3117 11 years ago

So if the games are being built today is anyone picking theirs up at Stern this week? If so, you better get some video up

#3150 11 years ago

Thats cool, since I won't be able to get an LE, so I would like to see the PRO in action. I would like to see gameplay without the extra ramp, spinning disc and nightcrawler targets to see if its worth it.

X-Men Pro at San Diego this week so at last we get gameplay video!

#3433 11 years ago

There should be shaker code now for both the PRO and LE.

Quoted from Squizz:

Hmmm Is the shaker coded for the LE's?

#3435 11 years ago

So whats in place of the nightcrawlers on the PRO? It looks like two X inserts? Is the gameplay associated with these inserts?

#3438 11 years ago

ok, that's good news. I would hate to miss a mode too. Phew! Still considering the PRO....

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Yeah borg said they have night crawlers on the insert and the mode will be the same.

#3857 11 years ago

With TRON at the max extra ball percentage (50%), you get an extra ball award in the arcade scoop once every 100 games. This is what I have determined from 1500 plays.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Can't you increase extra ball percent in the menu on Tron or any game ?

1 week later
#4472 11 years ago

Whats the flasher do in Wolverine? Can you even see it go off (if it does)? I played my friends XMEN and don't recall ever seeing it go off, or if I did, I couldn't see it

#4476 11 years ago

hmm, can you even see it go off?

Quoted from copperpot:

It just flashes inside his plastic head, for now, I guess.

#4511 11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will have my friend try it on his Wolverine! Can't wait to get one.

Quoted from DugFreez:

The light in Wolvie's head can be seen. Go into the lamp test (not flashers). Then go into the single lamp test...it's lamp # 63. For some reason it doesn't light in the "all lamps" test. It's pretty hard to see anyway unless you have the lights out.
I believe the bulb in it is a double LED style (like the GI lights) white 555. I have never noticed it during gameplay and wonder if it will ever be used....and if it is used, what light could I put in there that would be brighter.

#5059 11 years ago

If you replace the stock woofer in the cabinet with a better one do you have to clip the capacitor mentioned that's new with this game? Thanks for advice...

#5070 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I recommend clipping the resistor no matter what you do with the sub. This allows some mids to be played by the backbox. But just swapping the speaker really isn't enough. You know it gets mostly mids. You need at least a 3mH inductor added to cut the highs. This will allow the cabinet to start providing some bass. I also soldered a 40 ohm resistor to the + tab of the left back box speaker moving the wires there onto the end of the resistor. This will lower the vol of the backbox and costs about $1. After this, turn your vol up. Maybe to somewhere between 45-50. The machine won't be blaring loud at this because of the resistor. And you'll get a ton of bass due to the replaced crossed over cabinet speaker.

Hmm I understand the resistor noted, but where do I get a 3mH inductor and do I connect this to the sub?

1 week later
#5827 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Little Birdie sent me a picture

Love it! I didn't think they were starting the PRO build until the 24th. Awesome!

1 week later
#6317 11 years ago

We heard one more update for sure before the launch parties. If there are remaining bugs I would imagine Stern would address them.

1 week later
#6522 11 years ago

Thanks for the video. Wow your game is BRIGHT! What lamps did you change for LEDs? It looks great!

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Game does need leveling. The weapon x deal was three balls in the lock already. I grazed logan enough to trigger switch but not a direct shot to fall back and grab ball. happens often. Most likely due to leveling issue.
Bottom of insert is handled by 4 44's and the rest are normal stern sockets for a 555.

#6530 11 years ago

What? you are selling your PRO after 2 days?

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

It will be for sale this afternoon i can tell you that much.

1 week later
#6822 11 years ago

The PRO is version 1.0 and the LE is version 1.2
There are different versions and they are not compatible.

So far it looks like the PRO has most of the 1.2 changes in 1.0 of the PRO code.

Quoted from Wamprat:

This may be a silly question, please excuse me if it is.Does the latest update 1.2 apply to both LE and PRO models or does the pro need it's own updates?I am keen to buy a pro but only if there are definate updates on the horizon.

#6830 11 years ago

i agree. When you can zero in on the beast shot and follow up with some combos with the upper flipper the ball screams back to you. It requires more precision than other flow games like SM and TRON, but I have had the ball whipping around the playfield for consecutive loops and its a great feeling.

The animations are also quick so aside from the scoop there aren't many other places for a stop and go feel. Even the magneto lock is pretty much instant - lock the ball and wham another comes out onto the shooter lane. The PRO has nice flow to it and those ramps are so smooth.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well I have to disagree with you on the flow aspect jimjim. I would put X-Men in the good flow category. I can definitely see why you have the opinion that it is not though. It is not one of those flow pins that have shots in an open fan type of layout it is more crowded and the shots are a bit tougher to pull off together. That said, when you are hitting your shots this pin is very fast and flows very well IMO.
To me it is like a hybrid layout that rewards you if you hit your shots with some very fast flow but is not given you have to earn it. I would say it's a shooters pin with a good variety of shots that require a decent amount of percision. As always though I respect your opinion on it just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

#6877 11 years ago

Maybe its technically possible, but I don't think 99% of the players could do it. To beat every villain in one game would be exhaustive. I think it took 12 hits to kill the sentinals alone. Maybe with several extra balls, but straight 3 ball play I'm a doubter. I guess this is a true wizards mode.

Quoted from markmon:

Dark Phoenix on 1.2 is achievable. I've beaten every villain mode multiple times. Just not in the same game. But there's nothing to say that one great game won't happen.

#6887 11 years ago

I've never seen Danger Room (good guys) or Dark Phoenix (villains). BUT I hope when all updates are done there is a final wizard mode that pits all of the xmen against all of the villains in a spectacular battle. Now THATS entertainment!

Quoted from markmon:

This is why I ask for a villain mode Escape option. And are we expecting a final wizard mode after dark Phoenix?

#6979 11 years ago

I have the mantis protector installed and it did the trick on my TRON which is a similar scoop so I installed the XMEN version. Its working well, no damage at all. It sits about 2mm below the opening, and protects the area nicely. It doesn't affect the ball and you still see the edge of the wood around it. I like it.

Quoted from muttonboy:

All my damage was at the top and on the beveled edge, I have no idea how the mantis protector protects that, doesn't it sit inside below the beveled edge?

#7033 11 years ago

I set all the villain mode timers to 90 and am enjoying the game even more now.
I just want to know how many times do you have hit those f$#@ing sentinals? I think I counted 12 or 13 and one of them was still alive, good grief!

Quoted from Rarehero:

How about PLAYING the modes...cuz, you know...that's what the game is all about...lol. I don't understand this aversion to defeating the villains....yes, it's a shit ton of shots, and hopefully that'll get dialed in in the update...but in the meantime set the timers to 90 sec and destroy those mofos!
It seems like this is the first game where people can't accept the fact that you will not succeed every time you play. Isn't that pinball!? Almost getting to that goal or jackpot or whatever...and blowing it? ...then you hit start and try again. I dunno...this game makes people weird for some reason. I'm gonna go play some X-Men, ya maniacs.

#7093 11 years ago

How do you start Hellfire or Brotherhood? I have never seen either. I know hitting the targets sometimes puts a splash screen up on the DMD, but I never got these modes.

#7099 11 years ago

Thanks guys, I am going to concentrate on HF and BH tonight. Looking forward to it!

#7146 11 years ago

Xmen was designed before ACDC. Perhaps we will see them again in Avengers....

Really?
Why has ACDC got them and not XM? That is a disappointment.

#7246 11 years ago

Is it true that GOMEZ said at PPE an update for Xmen will be released this week? Now this is great news! More XMEN love!

#7335 11 years ago

Sounds like you need to adjust the scoop switch. Mine was doing weird things too before I adjusted it. I had to loosen it, and adjust its placement so a ball in trough in testmode kept the switch down (as opposed to simply triggering it).

Quoted from drshaw:

Here is a recent problem that has been cropping up on my 1.21 game. Nearly everytime I start a Villain, the ball doesn't eject from the scoop without doing a "ball find" routine where every coil fires. I hit the scoop, select the Villain, then wait 10 seconds for the ball to eject the scoop. It only seems to do this in villain modes and sometimes during multiball if 2-3 balls get stuck down there. But hitting it in open play or during a mode it immediately adds time and ejects or counts toward blackbird etc.. Anybody else noticing this?

#7346 11 years ago

I hope we get another XMEN mini update before Christmas. Thats 3 months away!

Quoted from mcfly:

cool , you will love it .. and power pack for xmas

#7383 11 years ago

Please don't pollute this thread with this garbage. Move it to the other thread so I can read about XMEN in this thread.

#7391 11 years ago

Doesn anyone know if the AUX board handles the GI string (red,white,blue) switching? I don't see any relays on this board.

#7393 11 years ago

Thanks, so the GI strings are connected to the relays and the relays are connected to the AUX board?

Quoted from c3trey:

It does handle the relays, yes. The relays are mounted under the playfield, but they are activated by the transistors on the AUX board.

#7421 11 years ago

I replaced all of the GI bulbs on my PRO with the bulbs that Stern uses on the LE.
These are my favorite LEDs so far, they look great.
Cointaker double LED bulbs $.79 each
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=70D05B379FE44CAAD008DE20923F4015.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=136

I bought white, red and blue and followed Akumzetos LE pages that he uploaded. Just AWESOME!
If I recall there were 34 bulbs replaced (I didn't replace the top back incandescents on the backpanel)

Quoted from precisionk:

Anyone replace all the bulbs on a X-Men PRO with cointaker LED kit? If so, anyone got photos or video of how it looks?

#7429 11 years ago

test the villain mode out with your finger depressing the switch. If it works, you have a bad switch or it needs to be adjusted.

Quoted from drshaw:

It's weird that it only happens in villain start modes and other hero modes. The scoop behaves 100% normal in open play with blackbird, extra ball, etc.. even in the add-a-ball routine works most of the time in multiball.. but without fail all villain start modes bug out.

2 weeks later
#7468 11 years ago

Anyone know if we will get an XMEN software update before Christmas? I would love an interim release instead of having to wait for 2 months for a big release ....

#7470 11 years ago

ok, that's exciting!

Quoted from gambit3113:

Last I heard, the updates for TF and XM were being targeted for Black Friday.

8 months later
#7662 10 years ago

Just roll it over the whole flourescent tube. Its basically just difusing the light.
I just did one revolution as that blocked enough of the light to have no backglass glare on the playfield glass yet keeping the backglass well lit.

Quoted from rai:

got any pics of the paper install?

#7717 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Can someone post as many Xavier and Magneto quotes from the game as you can think of? There's several quotes from both that I have no idea what's being said, and it's driving me crazy!

You can hear all of the audio samples with the pinball browser. Great tool.

#7745 10 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I just picked up a lightly routed Xmen pro with a shaker. Very sweet. What color LEDs do you pro guys use in the GI? How about inserts? I seem to get bleed-ghosting in the blue LED for the BB scoop.

I'm using the double LEDs Stern uses in the GI:
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=136

I have the color map from the LE and used RED, WHITE and BLUE double LEDS in the GI on my PRO. It looks awesome and is not blinding bright. It also matches the incandescents throughout.
I liked the mix. I think I needed 38 LEDs for XMEN.

#7816 10 years ago

This is one game I returned back to black rubber on the flippers to assist in ball control. I'm sure other colors would look cool on the game, but clean black rubber on the flipper bats is necessary.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

The upper flipper I left stock. The yellow rubbers are definitely harder to control. I seem to be able to backhand cyclops and iceman - not easy but ive done it. I'm having a hell of a time making the Xavier shot though. So may throw black rubbers on again in the near future just to see the gameplay differences.

4 weeks later
#7925 10 years ago

No news. I wouldn't expect the last update for at least another 2 months.

Quoted from Apollyon:

Anyone have any intel on a new code update for Xmen? They are building pros on the line at Stern now, so it would make sense. Anyone testing any new code out?

1 month later
#7974 10 years ago

Finished? They won't be selling XMEN anymore when the last update comes out. Unless you get HUO..... XMEN will get one more update and right now the game is great.

I will agree 100% to NEVER PREORDER. I have to see the game and play if for a few hours to decide. I would never preorder.

Quoted from dmesserly:

Hello all pinball fans and Stern critics.
DON"T BUY A GAME UNTIL IT IS FINISHED! NO PREORDERS! NO BUYING WHEN RELEASED HALF-BAKED!
Yes, I'm shouting. Sorry. Please forgive me.
Dave

2 months later
#8181 10 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Hate to say it, but Steve said, no more updates for this title.....that's what he said..
someone said this , in another thread..

That was then .. This is now ... Xmen will get an update for sure, hopefully before years end.

2 months later
#8409 10 years ago

This is a good update. I am enjoying deadpool and beating more villains.

I didn't realize deadpool was a comedian, but as they had to follow marvels direction I guess thats how he is in the comics. Love the combos and it's cool to see the tally in the instant info. I read on a wiki they call him the merc with a mouth!

A simple thing that makes me smile is the addition of flipper attract sounds. When the games are on in my gameroom, and I bump into tron or xmen and hear a quote or phrase I haven't heard before, its great!

Magnets are really fun in this one and a bit of new work on the flashers is appreciated. The simple flasher show at the end of the game completes the experience for me.

Unique combo extra ball, AWESOME! Also nice to have a few adjustments added.

I havent gotten to dark phoenix yet, but in time I am sure I will. Before, forget about it! I am not at all concerned with a wizard mode above DP and Danger Room as I will never finish both in one game, so I couldn't care less what the screen says

XMEN! My second favorite game in my lineup. I almost love it more than lamp.

#8414 10 years ago

I guess if those extras you like are extras I would like, then I'd agree the LE is better than the PRO. But honestly, I like my PRO just fine. Thats the point we are trying to make here ... just because an LE has more "stuff to like", doesn't mean everyone "likes the stuff". I don't care for the NC popups, spinning mag or moving ramp, but I will give you the lighting is AWESOME in the LE models. I also like my translite and cab better since it shows all of the characters. I know its "just a translite", but I like this translite better than the LE backglasses (I know some of you are shocked to hear that )

Just like I like my 2000 Celica GTS just fine and don't want a 2014 Mustang

Sorry, back to the XMEN love fest... LE or PRO doesn't matter, it's XMEN!!!!!

Quoted from cscmtp:

Because LE has everything the pro has, plus a LOT more. NC, better light show, Iceman moving ramp, more magnets, and a much better backglass. I mean, seriously, nothing wrong with loving your pro, YOU SHOULD, but again, its like saying I like the $10 in my wallet more than the $100 bill. Just doesn't make sense to me.

3 months later
#8601 9 years ago

I couldn't agree more pmWolf, XMEN is one of Borgs masterpieces and it finally got a nice software update to match the wonderful layout and music. Waison came through! XMEN and TRON are games that will never leave my collection.

1 month later
#8659 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does anyone know if Stern is working on the code at all?

The last code update with Deadpool will be the final code for XMEN.
I think its fine and am very happy with the game.

2 months later
#9021 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Really sad if the final code for a table basically causes it to end. I don't know if there is any other pinball tables where you can't really do anything at a certain point like this one. Maybe it is the first Stern to have a completion. They should add a credit role after you play both wizard modes if they aren't going to fix it.

Certainly not giving them a pass but do you know of anyone that can actually complete both wizard modes?

3 months later
#9259 9 years ago

The shots required for Wolverine were bumped up in a recent release because it was too easy to start wolverine when you didn't want to. If you start him, finish him off and you don't have to worry about too many hits later on. It was distracting in previous releases when you could start wolverine 3 times in a single ball, so this was adjusted and I think its better this way YMMV.

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I get that, sure. Wizard modes should not be handed out like advertisement flyers.
My point was along the lines: similar to scoring imbalances on some games, I think there are mode shot count imbalances. The number of shots to complete Wolverine is not that many once in the mode, but the shot count to get there is burdensome in later attempts.

1 week later
#9288 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I thought Stern was still doing one more update to Xmens Code?
Can anyone confirm that this is still happening.

I was told xmen is done by someone who would definately know, and i am happy with the game. Even if i ever get to both wizard modes ( which i doubt will happen) i would be happy to restart the game. Xmen doesnt need any more code imho, its a mature game with awesome code. I am very pleased with the game and the final update Waison coded.

#9317 9 years ago

As I recall there were supposed to be 16 unique combos, but for some reason "Original X-Men" unique combo was canned because they couldn't get it to work or it conflicted with other shots, I forget what I was told by one of the programmers at stern. You'll still see the label in the rom (pinball browser).

A while ago someone mapped all 15 working unique combos and its in the 1.3 thread if I recall, though it sounds like you and Dug have this covered already.

The unique combos is definitely one of my favorite parts of the game and the tie in to Deadpool is really nice.

#9324 9 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

I tested Deadpool on every villain for the rulesheet. If it hasn't been mentioned before, of note, it is 12 switch hits in every villain that activates Deadpool.

interesting. It's also 10 combos activate dead pool.

1 week later
#9397 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

already said, in our first 100 games, we've got 9 DR & 1 DP... thats 1 final every 10 games
pin set in factory settings, except 5 balls game, as may be its the good way to play further a home game, home is not tournament

How's your 3 ball game? Did you ever get to DR or DF on 3 balls?

#9455 9 years ago

Hmm do you think the Xavier and beast shots are hard on the PRO? I thought only the LE owners were looking for the captive ball mod.

I have the PRO and I think those shots are fine.

Quoted from CraigC:

Keep it. I really dig the Pro. I can't wait for the captive ball mod as that will help the xavier and beast shots to help the game flow like butter.
-c

3 weeks later
#9521 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

What game is Waison on now? I haven't been keeping up with who has been working on what.
Seems like I heard he was on WWE, and was a fan.

Waison is on WWE (lead programmer) along with 3 other programmers according to Sterns WWE video.

1 week later
#9575 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The LE Sucks (IMO). Too much going on (spinning disc, pop ups) and the iceman ramp looks like crap.
Half the features shown in the video when the game debuted are missing (iceman ramp that you can keep shooting while it is to the left and the wolverine mode). There is a dead end in the features with no way to restart the villains or heroes. Broken adjustments that do nothing.
If I was Borg I would switch to a company that doesn't make my final product seem like crap. Hell, even Microsoft put out an update to Windows xp AFTER support was over.
Stern is not changing with the times and may have to learn the JC Penney/Radio Shack lesson. You f-up too many times and people WILL stop coming back.

So in other words, get the PRO, its awesome! This is one of Borgs best games and the final software update made the game great. Its on my top 5 list of games.

#9584 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Made it to Dark Phoenix for the second time yesterday (default settings), but didn't end up with a great score.
Under 200 million on a Dark Phoenix run = fail. Play better.

Wow that's really tough, good job on getting to Dark Phoenix!

#9601 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You can't as there isn't enough free memory available. This game is loaded with dots and sounds and programming. I know the guy who was doing it and he could only do part of the multiball before he ran out of space.

If you can't color the dots with pinball browser due to insufficient space, colorDMD could work as it applies the colors outside of the rom. So it is still possible to get an xmen color display.

2 months later
#9646 8 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I stand corrected. Regardless, the newton ball is better. Why that Wolverine figure is so big is beyond me. Nothing on the inside needs it to be that big.

Probably because the Magneto figure at the top of the playfield is that big too? Well, Wolvie is wider, but Magneto is "that big".

#9653 8 years ago

"Stern really wasted some great license opportunities"
Actually Stern did a great job with this license, but had problems with the LE games. The PRO was and always will be fantastic right out of the gate. I've been enjoying mine from the day it arrived. I purchased it the day after playing a very early LE that did not exhibit the problems that other people had. My friends LE had a correctly positioned Wolvie and no issues aside from a board issue with the nightcrawlers if I recall correctly (but of course the hacked blackbird plastic, which didn't make sense). I think some of the LE games weren't assembled/tuned/tested properly. No doubt they rushed the LE games out there for sure. They still made a beautiful game and one of my all time favorites.

Quoted from DugFreez:

The first pictures released of the LE was just a Pro with the LE features (poorly) thrown on it. Look at the pic and you might wonder how that ramp would swing over with the spotlight post blocking it?!? DOH! There is also no docking place on the left ramp for the right ramp.
Wolvie is also positioned how he should be (like the Pro) and hey look....it's a complete Blackbird plastic and not one that is hacked in half (for no reason).
There is no reason the LE couldn't have been released with Wolvie mounted this way. I think what happened is someone simply said "Hey won't Wolverine get in the way of the balls on the LE spinning disc" and without thinking they just said..."Yeah...we better move him over to the left. Hey let's hack half of this Blackbird plastic off and while we are hacking things up we better grind off Wolvies elbow because we weren't smart enough to actually think this figure through before OKing the design."
The LE was released before the Pro, but I have no doubts the Pro was designed and some were built before the LEs were. The LE release was a mad scramble to get it out the door. The early models didn't even have the Wolvie elbows ground off yet and would trap balls all the time.
This game could have been a solid seller for years. There has been a X-Men movie released since the pin was released and more on the way. Being based on the comics gives it a timeless quality that isn't tied to any movie, but the popular movies were bound to spark interest in it. The rush job this got and poor release code (that only got worse the first year) doomed X-Men (the pin) for life. Between X-Men and The Avengers....Stern really wasted some great license opportunities.

1 month later
#9764 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Is there any compelling reason to go to 1.51?

Yes, a few reasons. You'll have to decide if they are compelling to you. I like 1.51 and would not go back.

V1.51 - February 17th, 2014
=======================
- Modified Dark Phoenix scores and shots
*Initial scores stay the same, but bonus scoring from ball/side losses have decreased slightly.
*Storm and Rogue shots no longer add time to all sides, but decrease the main timer by 15 seconds. This allows players to reach the final shot sooner, if they so desire or are able.
*Side timers have been reduced to 75s from 120s.
- Fixed an issue where Deadpool could be stolen by another player in a multiplayer game.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented Xavier's starting light show from completing. Regular game play is now delayed to allow for the light show to finish.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented ball locks from the Phoenix shot after a skill shot. Phoenix shot is no longer ignored after the skill shot.
- Removed Wizard Multiball shell. This was a wizard mode tested in early beta versions that was brought to prominence due to the last round of changes. It was inadvertently activated and is not an intented feature currently.

#9769 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Seems like the Phoenix issue is the only thing I'd notice in game play? Even if it's just a shell of a wizard mode isn't that better than being stuck in the rare chance I make it that far?

The "shell" wizard mode was initially going to be the wizard mode, whereas wizard modes were added for Heros (Danger Room) and Villains (Dark Phoenix) so the initial wizard mode is redundant and was removed. Again, if Waison didn't put work into Danger Room and Dark Phoenix you'd have 1 wizard mode instead of 2.

The chance that you will get both wizard modes in one game and actually beat both, are very very very very slim (unless you are RD's daughter)

#9793 8 years ago

All this talk of wizard modes. I know many have started danger room. I know some have started dark phoenix. But i dont know ANYONE that has completed both wizard modes. Do we even know what happens if both are completed?

3 weeks later
#9892 8 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Getting started over my lunch break. I copied out the lamp matrix and filled in the bulb types that I remember. Anyone have any tips on color? I also have to take a look at the GI on the table and decide what colors I want to put where. I am thinking that all white might be a bit bland on this table.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T0hKz5FzJRvHd7AjFHOp3T-z_8kowrf2dTbWm7i5dwU/edit?usp=sharing

I replaced the GI with the red, white and blue LEDS from the LE guide and left the inserts white (replaced the incandesents with white double leds). I like it!

#9894 8 years ago

Well, I am not a good photographer and the basement gameroom is pretty dim but here is a quick pic of my XMEN. The colors are bright and pleasing, not harsh and look great during gameplay. The RED are awesome near Magneto and his stock white flasher looks great coming through his cape amidst a wash of red around him. Stern did a nice job on the lighting of the LE and left almost the same exact holes in the PRO (except missing 4 additional lamps), so it makes XMEN an great candidate for LE type lighting.
IMG_2204.JPGIMG_2204.JPG

Just follow the LE lamp color map and I think you will be pleased.

Quoted from redundor:

Do you happen to have a picture? I'd worry that with the red white and blue all so close to each other the colours would wash together. I was leaving towards doing zones of colour, so maybe red on one corner and blue in another. I have been searching for photos for some inspiration but haven't found all that many yet.

2 months later
#10044 8 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Did anyone hear of a code update during the GOT Live Twitch w/ the guy that looked like jack sparrow? Does anyone have a link or time of who, when and where it was stated. Last time I checked (5mnths) ago, Waison stated, "Code is done." Thanks for any input.

He was talking about Avengers getting an update someday. XMEN is done.

1 month later
#10111 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

what are the different "xavier", sharp minds, teacher's pet, brain freeze? and the different wolverine ..?
thanks

Unique Combos (FROM THE COMPLETE RULES DOCUMENT)
Shoot unique hero combos for a special callout. You won’t see/hear these when a Hero mode is
running but there are still collectable and you can check the number you are at in the Instant
Info screen. The first unique combo does not increases the base combo value but every unique
combo after that increases the base combo value by 50k. Shooting 10 different unique combos
will light an extra ball.
Beast → Xavier “Sharp minds!” - Beast
Beast → Rogue “Beauty and the Beast” - Rogue
Beast → Wolverine “Savage Animals”
Beast → Storm “Meteorology” - Beast
Cyclops → Xavier “Teacher’s Pet” - Cyclops
Cyclops → Storm “Gold and Blue Leaders” - Cyclops
Cyclops → Rogue “Power Drain” - Cyclops
Cyclops → Wolverine “Rivals”
Iceman → Xavier “Brain Freeze” - Iceman
Iceman → Beast “Angry Yeti” - Iceman
Storm → Iceman “Hailstorm!” - Storm
Storm or Xavier → Phoenix → Wolverine “Unrequited Love” - Phoenix
Storm or Xavier → Phoenix → Iceman “Fire & Ice” - Phoenix
Storm or Xavier → Phoenix → Cyclops → Wolverine “Lovers Triangle” - Phoenix
Xavier → Cyclops → Storm → Wolverine “X-Men Leaders

#10113 8 years ago

i have xavier on the pf. but what is xavier sharp minds, xavier teacher's pet etc..?
thanks

see above, they are the unique combos....

#10115 8 years ago

The unique combos are multiple shots after one another. Some are 2 shots, others are 3 shots in a row, two are 4 shots in a row.
They give points, an animation and count toward Deadpool qualifying shots.

Here is the list again with a better expanation:
Beast to Xavier = “Sharp minds!” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Rogue = “Beauty and the Beast” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Wolverine = “Savage Animals” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Storm = “Meteorology” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Xavier = “Teacher’s Pet” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Storm = “Gold and Blue Leaders” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Rogue = “Power Drain” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Wolverine = “Rivals” (2 shot combo)
Iceman to Xavier = “Brain Freeze” (2 shot combo)
Iceman to Beast = “Angry Yeti” (2 shot combo)
Storm to Iceman = “Hailstorm!” (2 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Wolverine = “Unrequited Love” (3 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Iceman = “Fire & Ice” (3 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Cyclops to Wolverine = “Lovers Triangle” (4 shot combo)
Xavier to Cyclops to Storm to Wolverine = “X-Men Leaders (4 shot combo)

Fun fact. There were supposed to be 16 unique combos but one of them was scrapped since the shots could not be linked together properly. (Original XMEN)

#10117 8 years ago

thanks buddy, that's clear to me.
so "normal" combos are 2 shots (anything else involving unique combo or do they also count) in a row, correct?

All 15 are unique combos. If you do them again they are normal combos and you just get points without an animation or character if I recall.

1 month later
#10192 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

On my game it happens sometimes, but not always. It's definitely a design flaw. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about possible tweaks.

I made a slight tweak to my back leveler and the game never drops the ball STDM again. Try leveling it differently.

3 months later
#10290 8 years ago

1.51 is better ...

V1.51 - February 17th, 2014
=======================
- Modified Dark Phoenix scores and shots
*Initial scores stay the same, but bonus scoring from ball/side losses have decreased slightly.
*Storm and Rogue shots no longer add time to all sides, but decrease the main timer by 15 seconds. This allows players to reach the final shot sooner, if they so desire or are able.
*Side timers have been reduced to 75s from 120s.
- Fixed an issue where Deadpool could be stolen by another player in a multiplayer game.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented Xavier's starting light show from completing. Regular game play is now delayed to allow for the light show to finish.
- Fixed a timing issue that prevented ball locks from the Phoenix shot after a skill shot. Phoenix shot is no longer ignored after the skill shot.
- Removed Wizard Multiball shell. This was a wizard mode tested in early beta versions that was brought to prominence due to the last round of changes. It was inadvertently activated and is not an intented feature currently.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Hey.. Looking to try 1.50 on my Wolverines. Does anyone have it available?
Thanks

3 weeks later
#10342 7 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I wish there was a ball save for a few seconds after a ball is released from the lock.
Sometimes a ball will go sdtm

I had that problem and fixed it by changing the leveling very slightly. It never goes down the middle now when released.

4 weeks later
#10406 7 years ago

I wrapped the flourescent tube with regular printer paper, one sheet on each half of the tube to diffuse the lighting. It works great!

Quoted from ryandimx:

What does everyone with an LE do to get rid of the intense glare on the pf glass from the back box?

3 months later
#10614 7 years ago

I was testing my XMEN PRO last night with the glass off and noticed a couple of things:

1) With default settings, you don't have to defeat Magneto as the last thing on the way to Danger Room. you can defeat magneto anytime and battle all heroes and still get danger room lit at the scoop.

2) When I had Danger Room qualified both Danger Room and Dark Phoenix were lit. Dark Phoenix stayed lit. I don't recall if after completing Danger Room Dark Phoenix insert stayed lit, but it was definately on when DR was qualified. Strange.

#10618 7 years ago

Ok I have stacking off, so I don't have to beat magneto, just complete all the heroes. I see, I misunderstood, thanks!

4 months later
#10756 7 years ago

I am looking to brighten up my xmen pro a bit. Has anyone used the TWIN 2835 SMD Sunlight White in XMEN?
I am looking to brighten up the controlled lamps mostly without changing colors.

2 weeks later
#10763 7 years ago

The only must have is a scoop protector. I have a mantis protector in mine and it works great, or can go with a cliffy protector. These scoops take a beating and you will wear out the wood surround without some kind of protector.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Just joined the club last night. Picked up a 1 owner HUO Mangeto LE #225. I have never played the LE before. Played a few games with the wife and we were both loving it! I've gotta read through this thread now. This may take a while...
Are there any must have mods or things everyone is tweaking on the machine? I know the wolverine is getting modded by some people. What are you guys doing there? Newton ball? Different wolverine figure?
The game came with a shaker and headphone jack setup. I'll be adding a external subwoofer to it. Are there any other must have mods?

#10765 7 years ago

Mantis protectors are installed in the scoop and protect the edge of the wood. They don't cover the exposed playfield, so I prefer them for new games. For games with any wear, I'd chose a cliffy. I have mantis protectors in scoops of my XMEN for 3 years and Tron for 4 years with no wear. Either one is great, just my personal choice.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Ok cool. Mine came with the cliffy, not installed though. There is no scoop wear there at this point. I don't have how cliffies can change the gameplay. What about the mantis protector? I've never used on of those, how do they work?

#10767 7 years ago

Not at all.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Ok cool. Does if effect gameplay at all?

3 months later
#10901 6 years ago

They use the cointaker double LEDS. You can use others like comet, etc too
Here is a link to the cointaker double LEDS>

http://cointaker.com/products/555-2led

Quoted from YZRider926:

Anyone know were I can order some more red led's for the gi lighting? One is flakey on my right slingshot.
Thanks.

#10905 6 years ago

I'm running the latest Stern rom with the latest colordmd rom with the game in free play mode. See if you can reproduce the uncolored frames. I haven't seen any uncolored frames.

Quoted from zucot:

Anyone ever notice color dmd frames that aren't colored? I've seen it a few times where omega red has jean and Wolverine I think. The entire screen goes orange.

1 month later
#10918 6 years ago

Wow that is crazy cool. I think you are the first to attempt this mod on a pro! How are you going to get the spinning disc to work??

Quoted from Gandalf37j:

Hi there,
apologize for my English.
has someone of you ever been so stupid like me to "add" a spinning disk to an X-Men Pro ?
don't ask me why, but beside the captive ball mod,this was a logical consequence to enhance the game experience.
this is a none reversible modification

Not perfect but I'm happy, it's more centric than it look like on the pictures.

coming back to my question...
If someone did this in the past ... I'm looking for information exchange, share some impression / ideas.
At the moment the magent is working, next step - how to connect the motor , about wiring,
but background information about the functionality also welcome.
TIA
best regards

#10923 6 years ago

You can't run the LE code in a PRO. You'll immediately brick your CPU.

Quoted from _xizor:

I had the spinning disk pre-installed at the factory.
To get it up and running, I think you'll need to switch to the LE code and then wire as per the manual. You can disable the other things you're missing from the LE code in the configuration menu. (Just a wild guess)
How are you protecting the playfield around the spinner hole from chipping?

1 month later
#10956 6 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Beast-storm-ice man-xavier-cyclops-rogue. I love this game!

That's a helluva combo! Unfortunately you only get the Beast/storm combo shot for that one. Here is a list I keep for the unique combos.
15 unique combos in all. Although you can combo endlessly with this game, the most stringed (in order) combos are 4 shots.
XMEN is awesome!

Beast+Storm=Meteorology
Beast+Wolverine=Savage Animals
Beast+Rogue=Beauty and the Beast
Beast+Xavier=Sharp Minds
Cyclops+Xavier=Teacher's Pet
Cyclops+Rogue=Power Drain
Cyclops+Storm=Gold and Blue Leader
Cyclops+Wolverine=Rivals
Storm+Iceman=Hailstorm
Storm(OR Xavier)+Phoenix+Wolverine=Unrequited Love
Storm(OR Xavier)+Phoenix+Cyclops+Wolverine=Lovers Triangle
Storm(OR Xavier)+Phoenix+Iceman=Fire and Ice
Iceman+Beast=Angry Yeti
Iceman+Xavier=Brain Freeze
Xavier+Cyclops+Storm+Wolverine= X-Men Leaders

1 week later
#10965 6 years ago

Is there an option to just control the GI and color change the GI on the PRO based on modes, similar to the LE GI color changing?

Quoted from lyonsden:

I had time this weekend to finally install a Pinduino and addressable LEDs on the ramps of my XMLE:
» YouTube video
Also, I updated the Pinduino code for new effects and better integration with gameplay. Code is open source and freely available: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/XMen_interactive_ramps
I really like how it turned out!

2 weeks later
#10987 6 years ago

I have flipper fidelity speakers in my tron and xmen and they sound way better than the stock speakers.
I removed the "dial" that it comes with. Check your installation, there should be a noticeable improvement even at lower volumes.
I play mine at volume 35 or 36. Lower than that its too low IMHO.

Quoted from 85vett:

Think I figured it the problem. If I turn the volume up to 40+ then they sound much better. At lower power levels it sounds worse. Kind of a bummer though as I rarely get to play with the game at the higher volumes due to when I actually get time to play (nights) and the kids are trying to sleep.
On a separate note. I showed my wife the Wolverine figure that I'm putting on the captive ball mod and her response was, "Looks so much better, now what are you doing about that ugly thing in the back?". The "ugly thing" is the magneto figure. I kind of agree it's overpower without the stock wolverine in the game. Anyone have any suggestions on replacement Magneto's that would look good in the game?
Here is the wolverine that I went with.

2 months later
#11088 6 years ago

Not normal. I have a PRO and wolvie registers everytime I hit him. Check the switch distance again. I don't care for the captive ball mod.

Quoted from TwilightZone:

I'm wondering "normal" behaviour for Wolverine. I've adjusted the contacts a fair bit and it's better except when I hit his belt straight on. In these cases, it never registers. Is this normal? Or should I adjust it a bit more? Wolverine is a pretty important shot and it's frustrating if good hits aren't registering.
I know there is the mod to replace Wolverine with a captive ball and I may go that route later. At this point, don't want to spend $150 (exchange, taxes, shipping, etc) and looking at the stock Wolverine.

1 week later
#11135 6 years ago

I think the game is difficult. I frequently get near danger room, but never dark phoenix. There is alot to do in the game and it keeps me coming back. I've been to danger room twice in 4 years. There are 8 heroes and 8 villains, so plenty of fun characters to meet and battle. Here are a few more nuances in the rules sheet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXQg7NEYahyzLrrT-E3WXAmhKNtT-eVfqc5GEWZdHL0/edit#

2 months later
#11174 5 years ago

Thats a pretty accurate statement. in 2012, the bulbs cointaker/stern were using were the brightest at the time. However 6 years later those same 2LED bulbs by comet and cointaker are SIGNIFICANTLY brighter. I've replaced mine too with the latest non-ghosting 2LED version. Great game ... love it.

Quoted from dmieczko:

I'm fairly new to the club, but absolutely LOVING this game. Grabbed a Magneto LE a couple weeks ago. Great shots, great rules, amazing features. Question for other LE owners - on my game, the original 2-LED GI bulbs were all either really dull, half burnt, or totally burnt out. I went through and replaced them all (making sure to get the correct colors everywhere) with 2-SMD frosted bulbs from Comet. Man, what a difference!! The game looks absolutely amazing now! has anyone else had to do this? What the heck was wrong with those stock LED's??

#11179 5 years ago

Yep, the programmers never added that lamp to the gamecode, so it only works in test.

Quoted from robx46:

Lamp #63 is the lamp in Wolverine's head. It works in test mode but I've never seen it go off during a game or attract mode & I have the lamp out because I did the newton ball mod so it is definitely visible to me.
Anyone have any insight on this?

4 months later
#11355 5 years ago

or you can use a mantis protector that protects the scoop area just fine but doesn't cover the surround. I have this one installed and it protects well. I use these type of protectors on new games and cliffys on older or damaged scoops. Both are great.

https://mantispinball.com/product/x-men-protector/

Quoted from FatPanda:

Sorry, to be clear, when the ball falls out of the pops on the left side, the ball would usually fall into the hole, but instead, rolls over the bottom left corner and trickle down into the middle drain. The scoop eject shoots out cleanly to the left flipper for a trap.
I installed a brand new Cliffy.

#11394 5 years ago

leveling issue. turn the back leg leveler 1/2 turn and try it. depending on your flooring it may be off slightly.

Quoted from Robertstone0407:

My magneto ball lock loves to fuck me over and drop them down the middle.anyone got a suggestion?

4 months later
#11465 5 years ago

Not necessary. I've had my pro since 2011 and it looks great. Only protection needed was a scoop protector (mantis or cliffs)

Quoted from TwilightZone:

Anyone buy a playfield protector for their Pro or LE? If so, how's it holding up? I'm tempted to get one, but concerned about what the magnet will do to the protector. The magnets are used ALOT on this game.

3 weeks later
#11490 5 years ago

Sound upgrade? You mean speaker upgrade? I did the flipper fidelity speaker upgrade in 2012 and it sounds great.

Quoted from rwmech5:

Has anyone done a sound upgrade for a pro?

#11492 5 years ago

Nope that never happened

Quoted from rwmech5:

There was a post a bit ago about remaking the call outs and music, I wasn't sure if it ever got completed and was available for download.

#11496 5 years ago

Wow then I'm wrong. I never saw this one! Good job, I'll give it a try!!

2 months later
#11565 4 years ago

Correct behavior is sometimes the ball should go in the scoop when leaving the bumpers and sometimes it won't.
If it always goes into the scoop from the bumpers thats not as intended.

Quoted from mbelofsky:

Left scoop question. Years ago I had an X-Men Magneto and as far as I can remember, every time the ball came out of the pop bumpers to the left of the villain scoop, it would drop into the villain scoop just about every time.
I purchased a different X-Men Magneto and now when the ball exits the pop bumpers to the left of the villain scoop it does not fall into the villain scoop most of the time.
Both games had/have a Cliffy protector.
The main difference is I added red super bands to the current game which may be a bit thinner than then original rubbers.
What is the "correct" behavior when the ball exits the pop bumpers to the left of the villain scoop?
Thanks
Michael

1 month later
#11594 4 years ago

This never happens to my game. I did have to fiddle with the leveling. Mine is very slightly off to the left and this has worked perfectly for the past 4 years.

Quoted from PinDescabarian:

Every now and then the ball will drop sdtm. Normally when two balls are locked. You think someone would make something that redirects the ball to it flipper all the time.

3 months later
#11622 4 years ago

Mine was 5v led red dmd.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone tell me if the stock DMD in this game is LED or plasma?

5 months later
#11760 4 years ago

Damn thats some playing! combos are so satisfying in this game. here is a complete list

Beast to Xavier = “Sharp minds!” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Rogue = “Beauty and the Beast” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Wolverine = “Savage Animals” (2 shot combo)
Beast to Storm = “Meteorology” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Xavier = “Teacher’s Pet” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Storm = “Gold and Blue Leaders” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Rogue = “Power Drain” (2 shot combo)
Cyclops to Wolverine = “Rivals” (2 shot combo)
Iceman to Xavier = “Brain Freeze” (2 shot combo)
Iceman to Beast = “Angry Yeti” (2 shot combo)
Storm to Iceman = “Hailstorm!” (2 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Wolverine = “Unrequited Love” (3 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Iceman = “Fire & Ice” (3 shot combo)
Storm or Xavier to Phoenix to Cyclops to Wolverine = “Lovers Triangle” (4 shot combo)
Xavier to Cyclops to Storm to Wolverine = “X-Men Leaders (4 shot combo)

Fun fact. There were supposed to be 16 unique combos but one of them was scrapped since the shots could not be linked together properly. (Original XMEN)

Quoted from plankalkul:

If you have Sabertooth or Shadow King running when you START Xavier, the shot to hit to complete the mode is lit WITHOUT hitting Xavier. Otherwise, yes, a shot to Xavier lights the next shot. This is a cheaty way of doing it.

There apparently was in 1.50, but it was not fleshed out or buggy or lame or something, and it was removed in 1.51.
My last monster game I completed all of the villains, heros, Magneto SJP and did NOT finish DP or DR ... and as far as I can tell those are a one game only thing. The heroes did not reset after completing them and failing the wizard mode, and I don't think the villains did either. So when you reach "the end" of the game, it seems like it's legit the end of the game. I drained shortly after I completed all of this, I think I was distracted by the, "okay, so what the hell do I do now?" bug.
Danger Room is a brilliant Wizard mode. I love those "progressive" types, it reminds me of Alien Invasion on Simpsons Pinball Party. I've only completed it a few times, that's a lot of shots to hit.
I don't know if there was anything to it, I don't think so, didn't recall hearing any new sounds or anything, but I had a Cyclops > Storm > Iceman > Beast > Storm > Ice Man > Xavier combo the other day. Very satisfying. Like a Whirlwind Left Orbit > Left Inner Loop > Left Ramp combo. But didnt give me a holla.

#11765 4 years ago

Unrequited (meaning not returned). Jean is married to Cyclops yet loves Wolverine but she could not act on her passion.
There's also a callout where Wolverine says something to Cyclops like " Every now and then Summers, I remember why you're still in charge" He respects Cyclops but is a bit jealous since he can't have Jean.

I have so much respect for the thought that went into this game. The character traits, the clever callouts (even if you hate their phrasing), the stacking.
The team that programmed the game had great passion but lost direction for a while until John Borg and Waison decided to straighten out the game, fashion the wizard modes and give the game focus. The rest is history after a rocky start. I recall talking to Waison and the Kizevat brothers about the game. Great stories. There were 6 programmers that added code to the game over the years with Waison finishing it up. Really a challenging game, at least to everyone I know

The game has stood an 8 year test in my gameroom and may never leave.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Wow...I have heard "Unrequired Love" quite a few times, and "Fire & Ice" a few times, but I always assumed they were just 2 shot combos like the others. Had no idea Storm or Xavier were required first. I also had no idea the 4 shot combos existed. Nice! Thanks for the list...cool stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it again...this game does not get the respect it deserves. There is so much going on, and it all works so well.
Hope all my fellow X-Men fans are staying happy and healthy!

#11774 4 years ago

Several ways to end Storm
------------------------------
Shoot storm ramp to end mode.
Shoot cyclops spinner to make it snow and to complete the mode after many hits.
Shoot the pops to create lightning and complete mode after many, many hits.
Shoot combinations of storm, cyclops and the pops.

Taken from X-Men-Pro-Rulesheet (same for LE).

Quoted from FatPanda:

I don't think it counts towards finishing Storm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only ever completed Storm by shooting the Storm ramp.

#11776 4 years ago

There's a bunch of interesting tidbits in this rules doc. Lets see if this works...

Xmen

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXQg7NEYahyzLrrT-E3WXAmhKNtT-eVfqc5GEWZdHL0/mobilebasic

Quoted from FatPanda:

Interesting. Like I've mentioned, I've only ever finished Storm using the ramp. I remember a few times I've tried hitting the pops (like with Beast but that shows progression). Maybe I will take the glass off and confirm it that way.

#11778 4 years ago

Quoted from FatPanda:

Thanks for the link. I wished they would have included which version the rulesheet was on I'm sure I've run across this at one point in time.

1 week later
#11788 3 years ago

Yet plays nothing like Funhouse. XMEN plays nothing like TRON.

Quoted from MRG:

And Tron is a Funhouse rip off.

1 month later
#11839 3 years ago

I'm running the 3.3 colordmd rom with no color issues. You only need the 4.1 if you have the new displayport display.
Sorry can't find the 3.3 file but colordmd support would help you, drop them an email on the support page and tell them what display/board you have.
http://www.colordmd.com/Contact.html

Quoted from J-Freeze:

No one else is having this issue with 4.1?
Does anyone have the 3.3 Rom file?

1 month later
#11871 3 years ago

I have the mantis protector on my XMEN and it protected the scoop for the past 8 years. However, I also have that black vertical line with some paint missing. It does not appear the balls have damaged the wood but the paint is wearing on that line. I plan to repaint the line with a paint pen and cover with a little spot clear. I like the mantis protector for its clean look and this is a small sacrifice. YMMV

#11879 3 years ago

That's right. the keyword is almost. Many times I have almost gotten to Dark Phoenix and yet have never. I've made it to Danger Room twice, but almost 100 times Glad you are ripping through the game. Its really fun and challenging.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Almost got danger room just now. I started beast like 8 times and couldn’t complete it! Haha. I was close to dark Phoenix too. Just needed to do the two villain MBs.
This game is great. Also love trying to maximize Mag MB by collecting lots of hero’s before starting it.

2 months later
#11953 3 years ago

ColorDMD LCD and shaker motor. The shaker effects are great in this game during the villain modes.

Quoted from Digduglus:

Well my next question is obviously what upgrades should I look for? I know color DMD and newton ball mod

#11959 3 years ago

I've never seen the LE flyers but have the PRO flyers. They made them though, since they have pics on ipdb.org

Here is the Magneto LE link (first 2 pics)
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5823

Quoted from evileye:

Congrats man! The Magneto art package is simply amazing. Congrats on finding that hidden gem.

If they made those, I've never seen them.

2 weeks later
#11992 3 years ago

same. Never had that happen with my PRO in 8 years....

Quoted from Jediturtle:

That's...impressive. Eight years I've never seen that one!

3 weeks later
#12018 3 years ago

I prefer the play of rubber vs synthetic. I installed blue rubber on my flipper bats and they are still going strong after 8 years and thousands of plays. They look great too, somethng to consider

Quoted from Malenko:

Believe me, if I could add the spinning magneto disc to my pro I would cant say the same for the other 2 things
I ordered some blue superbands for the flippers and some replacement flipper buttons, but I couldnt find pink LEDs for the pop bumpers like someone suggested.

1 month later
#12053 3 years ago

Probably not. I have seen them for sale from time to time HUO. Best grab one HUO.

Quoted from Sixmillion:

Question is will Stern ever release Xmen again? Would like to own one some day to accompany my Ironman.

1 month later
#12138 3 years ago

Follow the arrows onscreen it tells you the next shot. There are faster blinking arrows (more points) and slower blinking arrows (lower points) but shoot the arrows that correspond to the onscreen arrow. Shoot the shot, then shoot wolverine, rinse and repeat. I think its 6 shots (henchman+wolvie) to finish weapon x (you can keep playing weapon x until you are left with 1 ball).

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is there any way to make Weapon X multiball easier? Tired of beating every mode except Wolverine.
THere's a "Wolverine Multiball timer" and "Wolverine Timer" adjustment in the menu but as far as I can tell they don't do anything when you increase them.

#12140 3 years ago

Right more points, same number of shots. It's probably the hardest hero to complete, but not that difficult. I think the villains are way harder and use Deadpool when I can for those.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know how to do it, but it can be a real bitch! Been getting better at it.
Shooting the "better" shots (screen arrow / blinking faster) just gives you more points, rather than helping you complete the mode faster, correct?

#12144 3 years ago

Actually I have weapon x on HARD in the settings so I don't see him until 9 hits if I recall since I was starting him too regularly. Focus on the onscreen arrows and I bet you'll beat him. You are correct though, no progress saving, but honestly I would think that would be too easy. XMEN has stood the challenge of time in my gameroom since its not a push over.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem is if you beef it, you need to smack Wolverine another dozen times, or 20, to have another shot at it, and you can easily beef those too with some unlucky bounces. Really annoying. Would be much better if, at the least, you picked up where you left off on Weapon X (hold progress), or even if sometimes the mystery award would give you that last X-men or Villian mode you need to make it to the wizard mode (kind of like Monster Bash).
I really like X-men but you see stuff like this on Stern rules of this era and really keeps the games from feeling polished.

4 weeks later
#12157 3 years ago

My one-way gate broke behind magneto. Boy the software acts funky without that one way gate keeping the balls in magneto lock.
I am trying to find a replacement but I can't see what to order in the manual. Does anyone have the gate part number or a similar gate that will fit?

#12159 3 years ago

Good idea, thanks

Quoted from Puffdanny:

You may be able to put magneto in virtual lock in the meantime. I know it's in the settings but I've never used it but it's worth trying to see if it will play correctly while you work on a fix.

4 months later
#12211 2 years ago

It's really the sting from the early software that turned off people to the game. The software went back and forth with 6 different programmers updating it until Waison finished it off. Some people hated the voices too (never bothered me). It turned out wonderful in the end and it's their loss for people that refuse to give it another play and revisit. Great game. Slap a colorDMD in it and off you go!

Quoted from FatPanda:

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. The sound package was the missing link in the complete package for me and honestly, I'm not sure I would still have this game if it wasn't for that.
I'll be honest, I don't play this game a million times a day. In fact, I go weeks sometimes without playing it, but when I do, it really ticks all the boxes for me. Great shots, depth of rules, and the newton ball mod really makes Wolverine a great shot. (side tangent, my 6 yr old and I were playing 2 player games on it over the weekend. He tells me "Dad, remember when the big Wolverine was on there and you could get multiball all the time by accident?" I was like "yeah?" He goes, "I like this smaller Wolverine with the ball much better." No joke. Mind you, he was around 4 yrs old when I bought the game and we had the OG Wolverine for only a few months.)
Just curious why the value is still depressed on this game and why there are games with much less selling for twice as much or more.

4 months later
#12309 2 years ago

You can increase the timers on all villains and Hero’s. Maybe that will help

Quoted from d0n:

The main reason I dislike this game is because all the modes (heros and villians) are timed. I always hate hurry ups in pinball. I don't want a game that is entirely based on hurry ups & timers. Very annoying.
Stop trying to rush me and let me play pinball.

9 months later
#12407 1 year ago

No XMEN never had a re-run or vault.

Quoted from Sixmillion:

Did Stern ever do a re-run of this machine? Or any talk of a “vault “ version?
They ran Ironman a few times now, I bought the Ironman re-vault last year. This deck seems too good not too be released again. Although I have never played this, I do love the theme.

11 months later
5 months later
#12535 40 days ago

I have both and play both. X-Men is a fun title and the LE is gorgeous. Its challenging and the music and sound by David Thiel is tops. You can always get a TWD back someday. Go for it

Quoted from Merendino:

I know, I know, I'm posting this question in the official club thread, but hey, here goes nothing:
I LOVE my Walking Dead Premium, play it daily. Someone very close to me has offered me a X-Men Magneto in mint condition, he wants to trade.
(I only have a Walking Dead Premium because it's what was offered to me at the time, deal was too good to pass up.)
I know Walking Dead likely has better code but they are far more plentiful than X-Men, especially a Magneto. My line of thinking is when I want another Walking Dead it shouldn't be too hard to nab one, especially a pro.
What say you guys?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luvthatapex2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men?tu=luvthatapex2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.