Screenshot_20240406_121148_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 205.
#10101 44 days ago
Quoted from Hershmeister:

Where is the LED strip located? Having a hard time telling from the pics

For the two figs with capes so I shoved the led in between the capes and the back of the figs. For the fig without a cape I just glued the LED to its back.

IMG_2626 (resized).jpegIMG_2626 (resized).jpegIMG_2627 (resized).jpegIMG_2627 (resized).jpeg
#10102 44 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

For the two figs with capes so I shoved the led in between the capes and the back of the figs. For the fig without a cape I just glued the LED to its back.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks!

Also - how is your Ring illuminated? Looks nice

#10103 44 days ago

Thanks!
Also - how is your Ring illuminated? Looks nice

See post #10095 on prior page for a step by step.

#10104 44 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

I bought a stock LOTR and have been installing mods this week. I’m sure all of this has been shared previously, but in case anyone is interested, I’m sharing photos and the process I followed to install my POTD figs & lighting (without the plastic) as well as how I installed an Amber LED inside the ring (credit to 2Niro for the idea).
1. POTD
- I used 20 gauge steel wire which is thin & flexible
- Applied some Gorilla glue onto the wire and shoved the wire into the figs, one under the cape, then drilled a hole on the other’s foot
- Glued the Comet matrix 3 light green LED strip under the cape of one and to the backs of the others
- Let them dry overnight
- Removed the round black rubbers from the posts on the POTD
- Slide the rubber ring onto the wire which is glued to the figure
- Made a ring with the wire
- Slid wire over the post, tightened wire, clipped off any excess wire
- Slid the rubber ring down the wire and back onto the post. This keeps the wire in between the post and the rubber ring and keeps the figs upright.
- For the back two figs, I slid the wiring out the backboard hole under the POTD. For the fig on the right I ran the wire under the POTD and out the back board and put electrical tape underneath the right side of the POTD to hold it in place, avoiding the back right switch.
- Connected all three wires to a 3 to 1 connector
- Connected that to Comet’s adjustable brightness connector (allows you to control brightness of the LEDs) in that case I turned the brightness down as the figs were too bright without it
- Connected that to one LED with the matrix connector, under the Arwin plastic
2. Add LED strip to Ring
- Ordered Comet Matrix frosted Amber 8” LED strip
- Removed the ring plastic inside cover & mode semi circle plastic above the ring
- Upper left of the ring has a small gap in the backboard for an Opto. I slid the LED strip through the upper right of the gap, starting behind the back board and towards the front
- Removed LED strip backing and install LED inside the ring so light faces towards center, about 1/4” away from the back of the ring (closest to back board) being careful not to block the two optos.
- Installed LED under Arwin plastic and wire to that LED. This GI illuminates during most of the gameplay however it turns off when the magnet is active. I may try connecting the LED to one of the KEEP GIs which illuminate when the magnet is active.
3. All other mods
- Color DMD
- Palantir
- Orthanc Tower
- Mount Doom
- Blades
- (Next) Change Balrog wiring harness as the wire is severed and LED doesn’t work
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

The game looks amazing! Good job!!!

#10105 43 days ago

Does anyone know what this piece/mod is called?

IMG_8433.jpegIMG_8433.jpeg
#10106 42 days ago
#10107 42 days ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Does anyone know what this piece/mod is called?
[quoted image]

There's a stock piece of plastic there because the ball will come off the wireform. It's ugly, but if you take it off, your legolas ramp shots end up in the outlane. People have at least 3 solutions for dealing with the ugliness:

1. Make that piece of plastic bigger! But etch words on it!
2. Get Some brass rod (pretty cheap off Amazon, and enhance your wireform. Maybe you are better at bending brass rod than k am. Someone used to sell these pre-bent, but no longer. Gotta do it yourself.
3. Get pinworlds hobbit house mod which goes on top of this plastic and makes it look less noticable or more intentional.
Screenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

#10109 42 days ago

Is this metal piece that sticks up at the back of the Orthanc tower normal? I never noticed it before but I was having a good game and trying to hit the Gift of the Elves shot for my 5th slice. I usually use the bottom right flipper and wrap the Pippin shot all the way around but for some reason even if I hit a good shot it lost momentum just around the Orthanc shot. Wasn’t happening before in the game.

Then I saw this sticking up and during the game I was thinking if it was like a code to make the last couple slices more challenging but when I drained and started a new game this piece still seems to be up.

Edit: Just played a quick game and even the plunger shot was getting caught on the metal sticking up, forcing the ball into the Orthanc tower. Then when I hit a Merry shot that wrapped around it went over the metal knob post and the post went and stayed down. Is this a gameplay thing where the post comes up and stays up intentionally?
IMG_2852 (resized).jpegIMG_2852 (resized).jpeg

#10110 42 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Is this metal piece that sticks up at the back of the Orthanc tower normal? I never noticed it before but I was having a good game and trying to hit the Gift of the Elves shot for my 5th slice. I usually use the bottom right flipper and wrap the Pippin shot all the way around but for some reason even if I hit a good shot it lost momentum just around the Orthanc shot. Wasn’t happening before in the game.
Then I saw this sticking up and during the game I was thinking if it was like a code to make the last couple slices more challenging but when I drained and started a new game this piece still seems to be up.
Edit: Just played a quick game and even the plunger shot was getting caught on the metal sticking up, forcing the ball into the Orthanc tower. Then when I hit a Merry shot that wrapped around it went over the metal knob post and the post went and stayed down. Is this a gameplay thing where the post comes up and stays up intentionally?
[quoted image]

It's a diverter. It should not stay up. Raise up the PF and see why it's binding up.

#10111 42 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It's a diverter. It should not stay up. Raise up the PF and see why it's binding up.

Ah, ok thanks.

#10112 42 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Would you happen to know which shots should trigger that diverted? I know the orbit shots for The War of the Ents mode does.

However, when I just qualified Pippin it seems to divert the ball into the Orthanc tower so not sure if that’s correct or not. It may make sense so it doesn’t go all the way to Baradur but a subsequent left orbit shot after Pippin was qualified did make it all the way to Baradur. Then when doing the Witch King mode I hit the left orbit and it diverted into the Orthanc tower.

I can’t recall if this is normal or not as I never really paid attention before. The diverter does seem to be working so I think it would be weird if it’s randomly triggering on orbit shots.

#10113 42 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Just played a quick game and even the plunger shot was getting caught on the metal sticking up

It shouldn't be up on a plunge, so it is sticking for sure. Like you said, it should be up for war of the Ents and during play it is often up to help you get souls to start ROTK multiball.

#10114 42 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Would you happen to know which shots should trigger that diverted? I know the orbit shots for The War of the Ents mode does.
However, when I just qualified Pippin it seems to divert the ball into the Orthanc tower so not sure if that’s correct or not. It may make sense so it doesn’t go all the way to Baradur but a subsequent left orbit shot after Pippin was qualified did make it all the way to Baradur. Then when doing the Witch King mode I hit the left orbit and it diverted into the Orthanc tower.
I can’t recall if this is normal or not as I never really paid attention before. The diverter does seem to be working so I think it would be weird if it’s randomly triggering on orbit shots.

It activates when you go through the right inlane and shoot the left orbit for POTD. Also like you said for War of the Ents. It also activates on either orbit shot when one of the MBs is ready, I think maybe Two Towers. The diverter is known to have poor ability to divert on a strong right orbit shot. It works much more reliably from the left orbit. There are some fixes for this but I've never felt the need to dig into it.

#10115 41 days ago

Question about the Balrog:

Is there supposed to be any sort of rubber over the front or back of the base? Pics of mine attached.

I occasionally get a ball stuck behind the balrog and the left ring ramp post during a multiball. Its usually in there enough that a budge wont remove it so you just have to wait for the end of the multiball and the balrog to go back into his resting place to free the ball.

Any solutions to this?

Thanks!

IMG_0840 (resized).jpegIMG_0840 (resized).jpegIMG_0841 (resized).jpegIMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
#10116 41 days ago

Is there supposed to be any sort of rubber over the front or back of the base?

Yours looks normal.

Where is the ball getting stuck?

#10117 40 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yours looks normal.
Where is the ball getting stuck?

Back left corner of the balrog when it is deployed. So the ball winds up stuck betwrrn the left ring ramp post snd the left rear corner of the balrog. It sort of winds up being a convenient thing when it happens since it guarantees a ball is parked safely during a multiball…. Perhaps its a infrequent enough occurrence to not worry about?

#10118 40 days ago

Well if you hit a ball that doesn't climb the ring ramp right when the balrog is closing then you will stick a ball. That's expected I would say.

#10119 40 days ago

Back left corner of the balrog when it is deployed. So the ball winds up stuck betwrrn the left ring ramp post snd the left rear corner of the balrog.

I never get a ball stuck there. Is Balrog fully open?

#10120 40 days ago

Not sure if it will help your problem, but those rubbers are old and cracked. I would replace them with new rings.

#10121 40 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not sure if it will help your problem, but those rubbers are old and cracked. I would replace them with new rings.

Good eye - i just got this pin and am working through a variety of fixes and maintenance items. Added this to the list

#10122 40 days ago

My Balrog stays open just enough to let a ball out if it gets trapped. Maybe it’s a limit switch adjustment that’s needed.

#10123 39 days ago

so i love the led strip in the ring above. I am gonna steal that. But when I go to do that, I want to spruce up the ring itself.

My ring... i guess all of them, have this terrible wavy pattern. Even images of new ones have this

Is this an artifact of a flat decal going on a non-flat surface, or what?

I have a replacement decal. I guess my plan would be to remove the old decal, sand down the ring, and spray it with a gold paint, and then put a new decal on it. Has anyone tried this? any recommendations on specific paint to use? Any tricks on avoiding the wavy pattern? I thought about cutting away excess clear parts of the decal. not sure how that would look.

I'd hate to end up worse than I started.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10124 37 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

so i love the led strip in the ring above. I am gonna steal that. But when I go to do that, I want to spruce up the ring itself.
My ring... i guess all of them, have this terrible wavy pattern. Even images of new ones have this
Is this an artifact of a flat decal going on a non-flat surface, or what?
I have a replacement decal. I guess my plan would be to remove the old decal, sand down the ring, and spray it with a gold paint, and then put a new decal on it. Has anyone tried this? any recommendations on specific paint to use? Any tricks on avoiding the wavy pattern? I thought about cutting away excess clear parts of the decal. not sure how that would look.
I'd hate to end up worse than I started.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I haven’t seen anyone do this. Perhaps buy a new ring?

#10125 36 days ago

Hi everyone!
I would like to show you the mods I make for this fantastic pinball machine.
If you are interested, please visit www.dystopicpinball.com and contact me via email/whatsapp for further information and prices. Thank you

lord1 (resized).pnglord1 (resized).pnglord2 (resized).jpglord2 (resized).jpglord3 (resized).pnglord3 (resized).png
#10126 36 days ago

I recently sold my second and most prized LOTR, so I’ve left the club again, for now. LOTR is still my #1 pick for best Stern pin and probably my favorite pin overall. It’s just awesome in every aspect. Code is legendary, and Destroy the Ring is just a great, reachable mini-wizard mode. Also my favorite game to add mods to, with the POTD figures, the volcano, the ring of fire, Pinsound, the list is long. It was tough to let go of, but went to a family that absolutely loves everything LOTR, and they are having a blast with it, just their second pin.

So I’ll sign off with a picture of just the LOTR painting I have left, and Banjo, alone a top Lonely Mountain. And my sad DTR best time of 1:21. I knew I could do it in under 30 seconds, but I always flubbed the ring shot, and once it just didn’t register the ring switch. But what a mode and game.

IMG_8466 (resized).pngIMG_8466 (resized).pngIMG_9090 (resized).jpegIMG_9090 (resized).jpeg
#10127 35 days ago

You've made a big mistake.
I only sold my original LOTR to fund a LOTR Gold Edition back in 2007 (?).
So I have 21 years with LOTR, and I couldn't be happier about it.

#10128 35 days ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

You've made a big mistake.
I only sold my original LOTR to fund a LOTR Gold Edition back in 2007 (?).
So I have 21 years with LOTR, and I couldn't be happier about it.

I wish I could find a nice one in my area. I got in to pinball too late haha. Holy grail theme right here

#10129 35 days ago

Does anyone have a list of all the bulbs you need to do a full LED conversion?

Also, what LED bulbs from Comet match the warm incandescent look best. I want to keep that look as close as possible.

Thanks!

#10130 35 days ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Does anyone have a list of all the bulbs you need to do a full LED conversion?
Also, what LED bulbs from Comet match the warm incandescent look best. I want to keep that look as close as possible.
Thanks!

Couldnt find where I originally found this here, but this is what I used with some modifications.

Best led conversion involves the ocdled board.

And the comet warm whites are the ones you want for gi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AMfgqSx6CONrXw0tBQ8sucsd7wiVSB2cASlilaRADR0/edit?usp=drivesdk

Here's some inspo. I mostly used the spreadsheet above, some modifications.

PXL_20230331_195800034.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230331_195800034.MP (resized).jpg
#10131 33 days ago

Hoping to hear back from PersonX99

But if anyone has a lighted whip for the Balrog to sell please let me know incase he doesn't have anymore

#10132 33 days ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Hoping to hear back from @PersonX99
But if anyone has a lighted whip for the Balrog to sell please let me know incase he doesn't have anymore

Does anyone know how to make the lighted Balrog whip?

#10133 32 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

Does anyone know how to make the lighted Balrog whip?

no but I know how to search pinside!
from the maker
"It is an 3-strand EL Wire whip that Balrog holds"

so just find electroluminescent wires in the desired size/color, and wire em up to the balrog flasher (with any necessary circuitry to ensure the el wires get whatever their spec'd for)

#10134 32 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

from the maker
so just find electroluminescent wires in the desired size/color, and wire em up to the balrog flasher (with any necessary circuitry to ensure the el wires get whatever their spec'd for)

Quoted from Sorokyl:

from the maker

Thanks, I did read that as well. He has a few on hand so I just bought one.

#10135 30 days ago

I've owned 3 LOTRs, and noticed that the shooter lanes have pours and wax seems to get caked up in them.

Anyone else notice this, a d how have you been able to clean it?

PXL_20240328_002702305 (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_002702305 (resized).jpg
#10136 29 days ago

I've owned 3 LOTRs, and noticed that the shooter lanes have pours and wax seems to get caked up in them.
Anyone else notice this, a d how have you been able to clean it?[quoted image]

I've seen this on many pins, it just depends on the grain of the wood in that spot and how much clear was applied. I avoid this by placing a mylar strip on the shooter lane for all my games. Cheap solution and takes just 5 minutes to do. You can usually get in there with a Q-Tip and your choice of cleaning solution if it's not too ground in. Worst case if it bothers you and you can't get it clean (or if there is ground in dirt) you can give it a light sanding and apply mylar over it. I have had to do that on a few routed pins I've purchased where the condition of the shooter lane bothered me.

#10137 29 days ago

Mine looked like that after sanding and cleaning with ME + rubbing alcohol (to repair other damage). I tried cleaning with naphtha, still persisted. In the end after a few rounds of lightly applying some Boos block oil that I use on our wood cutting boards soaking in, it looked fine. This was with clear in that area seemingly worked away to nil so take that as you will.

#10138 29 days ago

My new to me LOTR came with an uninstalled POTD acrylic. It was only the acrylic panel so to install I believe I need new posts to mount it to.

I see pinballlife has 1-1/16" star posts and 1-1/2" double star posts. Will either of these work to install the acrylic?
Screenshot_20240328_131617_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240328_131617_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240328_131654_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240328_131654_Chrome (resized).jpg

20240328_132645 (resized).jpg20240328_132645 (resized).jpg

#10139 28 days ago

What's involved in installing NVRAM on LOTR?

Do I cut the battery holder off the board, and then just pull out a chip and replace with the NVRAM?

#10140 28 days ago

You dont have to cut the battery holder off unless the batteries have corroded . Remove batteries install ram do a factory reset.

#10141 28 days ago
Quoted from Svenop:

My new to me LOTR came with an uninstalled POTD acrylic. It was only the acrylic panel so to install I believe I need new posts to mount it to.
I see pinballlife has 1-1/16" star posts and 1-1/2" double star posts. Will either of these work to install the acrylic?
[quoted image]

The problem installing that plastic with the star posts is that there are metal ball guides that run down the left and right edges of the existing POTD that have to be installed under the posts. They don’t let the star posts sit flush without notching them for the guides, because the screws aren’t long enough to accommodate it all. I haven’t really figured out a solution to this issue.

#10142 28 days ago

One more things, for the LED OCD boards, do I need both the GI board and Insert board of I plan to convert all the bulbs in the game?

I had done this many years ago on my first LOTR, and can't recall buying two boards.

#10143 28 days ago

One more things, for the LED OCD boards, do I need both the GI board and Insert board of I plan to convert all the bulbs in the game?
I had done this many years ago on my first LOTR, and can't recall buying two boards.

Just need the insert one for LOTR

#10144 28 days ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Just need the insert one for LOTR

Ok cool, so no GI board needed?

#10145 28 days ago
Quoted from Svenop:

[quoted image]

I posted a photo of my POTD a couple pages back. I used 20 gauge wire without any acrylic. It was easy to install and looks much cleaner than the acrylic IMHO. Perhaps consider that approach.

IMG_2565 (resized).jpegIMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
#10146 28 days ago

This post might be helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/174#post-7123621

#10147 28 days ago

Now I'm confused... What's a Gizmo board?

Also, sounds like the LED OCD Insert board is not the way to go?

Anyone??

#10148 27 days ago

I have 2 LOTRs at home right now.

One was built in May 2006 and the other in November 2006.

Interestingly, the earlier build has standard switches for the flippers, and the later build has the stacked one that loons like a double contact.

Anyone know anything about them changing flipper switches at some point?

The later build also has the switches installed diagonally, where the other is just vertical.

#10149 27 days ago

Outlane post question:

What is the “factory” position for the outlane posts? Mine are currently set at the topmost holes.

#10150 27 days ago

Outlane post question:
What is the “factory” position for the outlane posts? Mine are currently set at the topmost holes.

Middle I believe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 10,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 205.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/203 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.