7hPz.gif
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 269.
#9101 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

When I think of Zelda, I think of puzzle solving and I'm not sure how well that translates to pinball. (I was also never really into Zelda, so I'm not very imaginative of what it could be.) Maybe it's like a Metroidvania approach of go do the thing to earn key items and then play the "you solved it" tune as part of the fanfare of finishing the mode. That then opens up other modes to attempt.

Great point. I'd think more along the lines of the RPG elements, which I think would translate really well to pinball. Collect a key (Shot A), use it to open door/chest (Shot B), get special weapons & unlock a mode (Shot C), to defeat boss mode. I'm not a designer/coder, but that's sort of what I envision as a massive Zelda fan. Alice Cooper has something comparable with collecting items to better defeat monsters, etc. Mandalorian has the shop where you can by armor/weapon upgrades. We're on the right track!

#9102 2 years ago

I envision a Zelda pin to play like the original NES dungeon crawler. Navigate a map on the playfield a la JP, arrive at dungeons and hit lit shots to progress through, collect weapons/ potions items etc that can be used against bosses / enemies (activated by lockdown button) pops and slings collect rupees to be cashed in after boss is defeated (bonus x multipliers) collect fairies for extra balls and reduced hit requirements on boss battles. Each dungeon requires more shots than the next to complete. Boss battles play out in multi ball and certain weapons work better on certain bosses. Collect all of the triforce pieces to unlock battle Ganon Wizard mode, defeat him and ride out victory laps with the princess. Would really make for an incredible pinball experience.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

When I think of Zelda, I think of puzzle solving and I'm not sure how well that translates to pinball. (I was also never really into Zelda, so I'm not very imaginative of what it could be.) Maybe it's like a Metroidvania approach of go do the thing to earn key items and then play the "you solved it" tune as part of the fanfare of finishing the mode. That then opens up other modes to attempt.
Anyhow I could envision the main playfield as the world map with a few different entrances to go to a lower playfield for dungeons or an upper playfield for temples.
I don't think action video games lend themselves well to pinball rules. That's why I think Pokemon works best. It's already coming from a JRPG turn based system, so stop and go is built right into the experience. It's also a series meant for kids, so it never gets that complex. But rule nerds could still really make it elaborate while keeping it simple enough for non Pokemon fans to follow along (eg anyone can understand that a water monster has advantage over a fire monster)

03ECD780-B971-4741-A2CF-EC1E04D0EFE1 (resized).jpeg03ECD780-B971-4741-A2CF-EC1E04D0EFE1 (resized).jpeg

#9103 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

worth repeating .. the people have spoken for EVIL DEAD!

I think the perfect version would be a pin that encompasses Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. So much they could do with each movie alone, but since they tie together, it would be perfect to have a deep game with both movies represented!

#9104 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I envision a Zelda pin to play like the original NES dungeon crawler. Navigate a map on the playfield a la JP, arrive at dungeons and hit lit shots to progress through, collect weapons/ potions items etc that can be used against bosses / enemies (activated by lockdown button) pops and slings collect rupees to be cashed in after boss is defeated (certain amounts net bonus multipliers) collect fairies for extra balls and reduced hit requirements on boss battles. Each dungeon requires more shots than the next to complete. Boss battles play out in multi ball and certain weapons work better on certain bosses. Collect all of the triforce pieces to unlock battle Ganon
Wizard mode, defeat him and ride out victory laps with the princess. Would really make for an incredible pinball experience.
[quoted image]

Dude, it's like we're the same person. Well said!

#9105 2 years ago

Pokemon is THE video game to make for pinball. The theme is perfect.

#9106 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Put me and my whole family in for a CE on this all the way. Easiest sell to the wife ever!

#9107 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Great point. I'd think more along the lines of the RPG elements, which I think would translate really well to pinball. Collect a key (Shot A), use it to open door/chest (Shot B), get special weapons & unlock a mode (Shot C), to defeat boss mode. I'm not a designer/coder, but that's sort of what I envision as a massive Zelda fan. Alice Cooper has something comparable with collecting items to better defeat monsters, etc. Mandalorian has the shop where you can by armor/weapon upgrades. We're on the right track!

Granted I've only played it a handful of times, but isn't ACNC basically Castlevania? Metroidvanias core concept of explore a map, get new items that let you go look at other parts of the map seem like a decent jumping off point for pinball adventures

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I envision a Zelda pin to play like the original NES dungeon crawler. Navigate a map on the playfield a la JP, arrive at dungeons and hit lit shots to progress through, collect weapons/ potions items etc that can be used against bosses / enemies (activated by lockdown button) pops and slings collect rupees to be cashed in after boss is defeated (bonus x multipliers) collect fairies for extra balls and reduced hit requirements on boss battles. Each dungeon requires more shots than the next to complete. Boss battles play out in multi ball and certain weapons work better on certain bosses. Collect all of the triforce pieces to unlock battle Ganon Wizard mode, defeat him and ride out victory laps with the princess. Would really make for an incredible pinball experience.

[quoted image]

It'd be fun if one of the items was a lantern/candle that changes the game lighting from bright to dim to off. Maybe that's too difficult and it should only apply to insert arrows guiding you to finishing the mode.

Maybe doing a particular combo (could be custom to each dungeon) gives you the compass which lets you skip right to the end of a dungeon, or at least reduce how many shots to get to the end of it.

#9108 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

worth repeating .. the people have spoken for EVIL DEAD!

Is that an episode of Scooby Doo?

#9109 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Is that an episode of Scooby Doo?

scoobydead (resized).JPGscoobydead (resized).JPG

scoobydead2 (resized).JPGscoobydead2 (resized).JPG
#9110 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Granted I've only played it a handful of times, but isn't ACNC basically Castlevania? Metroidvanias core concept of explore a map, get new items that let you go look at other parts of the map seem like a decent jumping off point for pinball adventures.

Kind of, my understanding of ACNC is you progress through "rooms" of the castle to battle monsters. One of the objectives is to collect items in order to help you defeat monsters more easily. I have one on order, but haven't had much play time on it yet! You're right, there's some Metroidvania aspect there, though you're not really using items to unlock things like Samus does. More of an optional objective in this case to make battles easier, which I guess is how secondary items work in Castlevania, so we're not to far off here. Regardless, totally agree the Metroidvania-style elements would translate well to pinball, and it wouldn't be all that different from what we do now in modes (shooting lit shots, qualifying modes, etc), just different terminology and objectives. As younger designers/coders get involved, I think we'll see more of this kind of thing.

#9111 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Kind of, my understanding of ACNC is you progress through "rooms" of the castle to battle monsters. One of the objectives is to collect items in order to help you defeat monsters more easily. I have one on order, but haven't had much play time on it yet! You're right, there's some Metroidvania aspect there, though you're not really using items to unlock things like Samus does. More of an optional objective in this case to make battles easier, which I guess is how secondary items work in Castlevania, so we're not to far off here. Regardless, totally agree the Metroidvania-style elements would translate well to pinball, and it wouldn't be all that different from what we do now in modes (shooting lit shots, qualifying modes, etc), just different terminology and objectives. As younger designers/coders get involved, I think we'll see more of this kind of thing.

You're right. It's not really gating off areas then giving access, it's more about doing extra stuff to make other things easier.

Really it's I see the map in the game and just instantly think Symphony of the Night

map.pngmap.png

#9112 2 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Spooky for creating a pin that I feel was long overdue and my personal grail theme...the 1978 film, Halloween. Thanks to everyone at Spooky that made this happen and congrats to all of you on selling out your direct sales allotment on that crazy day...it sure was stressful!
As a tribute to the original Halloween, what I feel is the greatest all around horror film and my favorite movie from any genre, it was time to update my avatar. Two years ago I made the pilgrimage to South Pasadena, California to visit some of the original locations they shot the film. My wife took this photo of me recreating the iconic hedge scene...
[quoted image]
I was clearly not the only one to visit those hedges as the grass behind the hedges near the sidewalk was worn down to dirt!
See you in the Halloween hype thread...can’t wait!!!

Dang, the hedges are still there? That’s pretty cool. Are the houses there as well? I should make a trip one day as it’s only about an hour away to check it out.

#9113 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You're right. It's not really gating off areas then giving access, it's more about doing extra stuff to make other things easier.
Really it's I see the map in the game and just instantly think Symphony of the Night
[quoted image]

Either way, I like the concept or even a mix between gated/non-gated collection. It’s what I wanted Mystery Castle to be the first time I played it. You collect all these cool items in a awesome castle setting, and it’s really just a scavenger hunt for points. How much more fun would it be if you use the Candelabra to light a tunnel you couldn’t access before to progress, or use the skull to scare the troll guarding the dungeon, etc?

#9114 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

[quoted image]

Oh. I was kind of thinking Outrun. The map was my idea. I do love me some SOTN though!

#9115 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and no sales!

Ill take those unwanted TNA's you must be referring to

#9116 2 years ago

After Halloween/Ultraman I’d love to see Spooky build an Archer pin.

#9117 2 years ago

I just listened to the podcast, I am super stoked. Im not really a podcast guy, as I'd rather just read, than listen.

Cant be more excited for this pin!!

#9118 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh. I was kind of thinking Outrun. The map was my idea. I do love me some SOTN though!

Oh yeah, I see that now. Although those games are more of a Christmas tree with multiple ending locations

It also kinda reminds me of the diamond design that is best typified by Telltale Games like The Walking Dead. The story branches into two distinct paths, but they converge back to the same point like a diamond shaped path.

#9119 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Ill take those unwanted TNA's you must be referring to

TNA is different. It had been played at shows and had a hype built up already. Not the usual way games are revealed/sold.

#9120 2 years ago

As long as we are all dreaming, a favorite theme would be Sega’s Thunder Force IV. The music alone would rival any rock pin by any band. Pure metal guitar bliss!

(Been playing it on Switch and it’s now on fire!)

#9121 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

As long as we are all dreaming, a favorite theme would be Thunder Force IV. The music alone would rival any rock pin by any band. Pure metal guitar bliss!
(Been playing it on Switch and it’s now on fire!)

Never played the game but am digging the music

#9122 2 years ago

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

Johnny Lawrence has spoken

#9123 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TNA is different. It had been played at shows and had a hype built up already. Not the usual way games are revealed/sold.

So, original themes can sell if you take them to shows and have a hype man? Can this process be repeated and done better some how?

#9124 2 years ago

I'm down for:

The Thing

Evil Dead/Army of Darkness

In this order. I have spoken.

#9125 2 years ago

This is what happens when you have some free time in the studio.

Congratulations to everyone who pre ordered this pin and @spookypinball ! This pin really looks amazing!

#9126 2 years ago

Shit...I’m into it

Quoted from vintage4life:

This is what happens when you have some free time in the studio.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"edf4d61a59302a079ac2a1794beaa40873ab0d4f-1626135141-1800"};
//]]>

Congratulations to everyone who pre ordered this pin and @spookypinball ! This pin really looks amazing!

#9127 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Also….it sold 550 units. I forgot how long it was for sale, but it was not some instant sales hit.

Granted good enough for another run in the future now that lots have played it.

#9128 2 years ago

Not bad not bad, but I still prefer Ronald Jenkees.

#9129 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

I'm down for:
The Thing
Evil Dead/Army of Darkness
In this order. I have spoken.

Oops, you put those backwards

#9130 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbutterball:

So, original themes can sell if you take them to shows and have a hype man? Can this process be repeated and done better some how?

It’s not even about a hype man. Scott made TNA for himself. It was a homebrew. People played it at shows and really wanted one - so things worked out with Scott & Spooky to do a boutique run. Most pinball companies are factories that need to constantly churn to make financial sense. They need the allure of a nostalgic theme that people will pay for before they even play the game. Any company making an original IP risks buyers taking the “wait and play” approach. Dialed In sold slowly due to this. Oktoberfest sold horribly due to this.

#9131 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Dang, the hedges are still there? That’s pretty cool. Are the houses there as well? I should make a trip one day as it’s only about an hour away to check it out.

I am upset since I was in Pasadena the day it was released!

#9132 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I am upset since I was in Pasadena the day it was released!

They’re still available at a couple distros

#9133 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s not even about a hype man. Scott made TNA for himself. It was a homebrew. People played it at shows and really wanted one - so things worked out with Scott & Spooky to do a boutique run. Most pinball companies are factories that need to constantly churn to make financial sense. They need the allure of a nostalgic theme that people will pay for before they even play the game. Any company making an original IP risks buyers taking the “wait and play” approach. Dialed In sold slowly due to this. Oktoberfest sold horribly due to this.

Or sometimes its just a good game vs a bad game. The point was unlicensed CAN sell. Nothing more.

#9134 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

They’re still available at a couple distros

My distro took care of me while I was flying I’m in on a CE.

#9135 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

My distro took care of me while I was flying I’m in on a CE.

Nice ! I’m sure we’ll be seeing gameplay soon enough .I’m really exited to hear what kind of custom music they added .

#9136 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Or sometimes its just a good game vs a bad game. The point was unlicensed CAN sell. Nothing more.

They can sell. But in lower numbers & over a longer timeline. Most factories can’t afford to function like that.

#9137 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They can sell. But in lower numbers & over a longer timeline. Most factories can’t afford to function like that.

Seemed liked it worked out Ok for Medieval Madness.

#9138 2 years ago

I feel that part of the success of TNA was that it was a very niche game. It wasn't trying to compete with Stern or JJP. A non-traditional layout with no ramps for $6,000? That's going to be a non-starter for many buyers. So while being niche helped to drive those initial sales, it also created an upper limit.

#9139 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Different time. Irrelevant comparison. People weren’t buying games for homes, everything was for arcades…which were dying. The game actually DIDN’T sell well when it came out. Over the years, as collectors snagged them, THEN it became beloved….and because the numbers were low, it became expensive. Which led to the remake.

Totally different situation than where we are today.

#9140 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I feel that part of the success of TNA was that it was a very niche game. It wasn't trying to compete with Stern or JJP. A non-traditional layout with no ramps for $6,000? That's going to be a non-starter for many buyers. So while being niche helped to drive those initial sales, it also created an upper limit.

I thought TNA looked cool, but I wasn’t gonna take that gamble. Then I played it on location & fell in love. Bought a used one from a friend.

Even tho I love the game and it’s practically my “desert island pin”, my journey to the game didn’t help Spooky. Well, maybe long run it did, cuz I bought R&M and Ultraman NIB.

#9141 2 years ago

You mean one of the most highly acclaimed games of all time with a large nostalgic factor that was one of the most expensive used games on the market before the remake? Seems obvious why that one worked. (Fun fact: NBA Fastbreak came out the same year and out sold it)

Cactus Canyon remake will be interesting because it doesn't have the same acclaim or nostalgia factor for it. It's got a lot of interesting mechs, but most people know of it because it is rare/expensive and the last traditional WPC game. Are people into cowboys? Idk.

#9142 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

barf

#9143 2 years ago

I love TNA!

Even though I sold mine, my avatar that was inspired by TNA remains.

#9144 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I thought TNA looked cool, but I wasn’t gonna take that gamble. Then I played it on location & fell in love. Bought a used one from a friend.

Thing is, this is what every home owner should be doing, but we've turned into the gotta have it now people. Look at the CGC thread, people actually complaining and the sky is falling because they haven't announced anything recently. Insanity.

Companies are using this to their advantage. Thing is, it cannot last forever. It's already lasted longer than one would have thought.

#9145 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Different time. Irrelevant comparison. People weren’t buying games for homes, everything was for arcades…which were dying. The game actually DIDN’T sell well when it came out. Over the years, as collectors snagged them, THEN it became beloved….and because the numbers were low, it became expensive. Which led to the remake.

No kidding. I seriously lold at that comparison. Lets keep the comparisons to the last 20 years, shall we.

Unlicensed themes do not sell as well as licensed, its a fact.

#9146 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They sold 4000 plus units in a pinball downturn. That is more games than Spooky has ever made in total to date times 2. Check your facts before you start making claims. A good game will sell.

#9147 2 years ago

The point I think people are tryign to make is, operators are not the primary consumers now. It is home users. Operators buy almost everything that comes out. Home users have to pick and choose. Factories do not want the 'wait and see' approach. They are taking major advantage of the current FOMO to get people to hand over the money before they have much info on the game.

This is EXACTLY why DR, and other failed projects have been able to take advantage of people.

#9148 2 years ago

My little TNA story:

The TNA whitewood was on display at the first ever MGC I ever went to, just months after getting our first machine. At the time, I was a complete noob and knew nothing of designers, companies, who's who, etc. Walked up to TNA literally knowing nothing about the game or the person. I saw it with infantile eyes. I stepped up to play it, and this guy starts talking to me, telling how to play. I told him it was a fun game and went on my way to see the rest of the show. My wife and I came back at least another 4 or 5 times to play the game, given all of the other games that were on the floor. Old stuff, new stuff and everything in between. I noticed the same guy standing over there thinking, man, he must really love this game. Chatted with him for a bit. Come to learn later that it was Scott talking to us about his game, and we had no idea that he made it. When it was announced that Spooky was going to build it, we decided almost immediately that we were buying one. No hype man, just a man with a passion project making fun-ass pinball.

The Houdini prototype was at that show and there was a long line to play it. I played the limited 2 balls on that game and never went back.

#9149 2 years ago

They sold 4000 plus units in a pinball downturn. That is more games than Spooky has ever made in total to date times 2. Check your facts before you start making claims. A good game will sell.

Dude MMR isnt a new theme for crying out loud, its a remake of a theme from a different time, when pinball was 10x more popular. Sure its a blast, but to call it a new, unlicensed theme is ridiculous. Dialed In is a new, unlicensed theme. Its fun to shoot, but i bet if it were licensed, they would have sold 2 or 3x more.

#9150 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even tho I love the game and it’s practically my “desert island pin”, my journey to the game didn’t help Spooky. We’ll, maybe long run it did, cuz I bought R&M and Ultraman NIB.

My wife surprised me with TNA for my birthday. She actually put in a deposit for ACNC, since I had been talking that game up. After playing them both again I must have came home and said something along the lines of liking TNA more. She called up Spooky and switched the deposit. I did eventually end up trading TNA to fund an AFM Remake, but I wouldn't be against buying another one if they do a 2.0 run. It's a great game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 269.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/183?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.