harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

BULL SHIT ART ISTS.
It's Greasy Strangler.

I’d buy that the second it was announced.

PO-TO!!!

2 months later
#949 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's not Goonies. God damn Goonies. Does that theme have any appeal outside Gen X? Yeah I know we're the ones buying pins but a zoomer at a bar is gonna be like "Goonies? Like, what the eff is that? Totes not on fleek"

It came out around the same time as Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Pee-Wee...just like those 80s movies, Goonies made an impact that was iconic - and it’s been kept alive by parents showing it to their kids.

Not sure it would work as a pin tho - most of the dialog is characters talking over each other like an Altman movie.

#951 2 years ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Am I asking too much for a Strokes pin?

Whatchoo talkin’ bout?

40873083-8069-4728-9FC6-6F006A871FED (resized).jpeg40873083-8069-4728-9FC6-6F006A871FED (resized).jpeg
#965 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Isn’t the Goonies license confirmed to be with either American Pinball or Deep Root (I can’t recall which of those two it was confirmed to be held by)?

Derp claims to have it, but we can’t believe anything they say or have any faith they’ll even be able to produce 1 game let alone the 20 others they’ve announced.

#1071 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Goonies would be a dog shit pinball game, I've already looked at it. Beetlejuice, the same...not enough meat on the bone to make a modern pinball game. Now HALLOWEEN....there's a ton of content there from a whole movie series. It's the game everyone wants to play on Halloween.

Are you auditioning to be the CEO of a pinball company that makes poor decisions & doesn’t understand iconic nostalgic licenses that people want to buy?

#1083 2 years ago

Put your weight on it!!!

*TILT*

You flipper-flapping’ low-down sap of a dilapidated machine-shakin’ mathafackah!!!

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Dude… Go-bots sucked, and I know because people that bought me presents were too cheap to get the real thing (i.e. Transformers)

More like BLOW-BOTS, amirite?!

Transformers or GTFO.

#1140 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Word was when Franchi pitched (Beetlejuice) to Stern none of the designers gave a damn about the theme so DOA.
There either needs to be passion or stupid money. Nobody really pays stupid money anymore in this industry so no passion, no theme.

We’re they all just outside that “right age” in the 80s to get sucked into the Tim Burton vortex like the rest of us? Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Nightmare Before Xmas...the combo of Burton’s visual style, weird characters & Danny Elfman’s music was magical, special, and iconic. Steve Ritchie famously hates Elfman, though - which led to the rock music in Spider-Man instead of movie score.

#1168 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Tropical Cop Tales? DELUSCIOUS! Thank you, 'preciate it!

Hopefully the game would have a large BOM BOM BOM BA-BOM BA-BOMMMMM!

#1182 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Speaking of which, are you going to that live Nightmare Before Christmas performance with Danny Elfman that tickets just went up for? If only I were in LA...

I went a few years ago. It’s amazing!

#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Thank you Steve. The music is one of SMs highlights.

I did end up loving it - but it was jarring at first since I was so familiar with the personality of the music from the movies.

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

“I know what to do way more than you do Chuck. I’ll take this puny operation of yours to the big time, just need the keys.”
I can’t even imagine how direct or foolish any conversation was phrased if this was during the Blowhard Bobby days. Pinball is easy...

Oh I bet it was exactly like that. “You’ve got this silly factory & know how to cobble machines together....but I’ve got Jpop!! YOU need ME!”

“Why sell 750 machines...when with the power of Jpop, you can sell 130!!!!”

#1304 2 years ago

Halloween never did anything for me....but, my wife loves it. It's hard to imagine it working for pinball with a silent bad guy, though. I love my Dracula, and part of that is Dracula's callouts. Horror icons like Freddy or Chucky...they talk a lot (and can be funny, too). Michael Meyers? Eh.

Well, we'll see...gotta see it all first before making a decision.

#1489 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Kind of like Munsters I wish somebody would just freaking make Beetlejuice already so it can not sell many copies and people will finally stop asking for it (kind of like Munsters)

....or it sells crazy like GB and these comments won't age well.

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I'm not lecturing you or anyone else. I'm merely putting forward a view that the world has moved forward in 40 years.
I'm perfectly entitled to that view too.

Then stop playing pinball...it’s some old ass irrelevant game for people from 1950. The world has moved forward. The cool modern kids are playin’ their Gameboys & TurboGrafx!!! Get with the times!!!!!

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Just read about a new Scooby Doo Reunion Special coming out later this year. Also HBO Max announced a new series from Mindy Kaling about Velma from Scooby Doo. So it looks like Warner Bros thinks Scooby still has a lot of life left in the franchise. So they might have been excited about a possible pinball license.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/movieweb.com/amp/scooby-doo-reunion-special-the-cw/
https://movieweb.com/velma-scooby-doo-prequel-tv-show-hbo-max/

Warner has never not had a Scooby show/movie/direct to video in production. It has always had life, it will never die.

1 week later
#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

How old are you? It seems alot of pinball themes target 35 to 55 age group and older. I think 3 stooges fits in that for sure. Abbot and Costello was really popular when I was a kid (in the 80s).

I was a kid in the 80s and only knew about Abbot & Costello from old people, or from old cartoons referencing them. 3 Stooges was at least still on TV in syndication.

#2715 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

best episode.

I saw them perform it live....it was amazing. I think "The Gang Turns Black" might have surpassed it as my favorite ep though

#2815 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Charlie was 15 when He-Man was popular. He had his driver's license when the show was on the air.
You really think he gives a flying f**k about He-Man????

...and now it's back on Netflix. You watch that new trailer? Looks great! It's new, like Rick & Morty.

#2817 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah I know Netflix has a show, same animation studio as Castlevania? (love that show)
It still isn't He-Man. This isn't misdirection. IT ISN'T HE-MAN.
I think we all have a pretty good bead on stuff Charlie likes. Maybe start there with your guesses?

Oh, yeah, I didn't think that any pinball company would be making He-Man...I'm just saying it's about to be potentially relevant again & not just a forgotten 80's Toy Commercial.

#2827 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Best thing AS ever did haha. I’d be in for an LE 100%

As far as weird random AS things, I'm still kinda hoping that they find a way to put Bushworld Adventures into R&M as a mode or Easter egg

2 weeks later
#4353 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Have we ever seen a pinball company ACTUALLY release a game at a similar time/schedule as releasing a new movie/tv series? I dont think I have ever seen Stern line that up.

Stern always used to get pins out for the movie release... LOTR, Spider-Man, Dark Knight...but then they realized if a theme is beloved, release dates don't matter. Best to wait to see if people actually LIKE something, THEN make the game...and when they wait until after theatrical release, they get more assets.

#4364 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Can't we get the Excorcist with Linda Blair puking all over the underside of the glass? Interior windshield wipers is the first Mod!

Derp Poop already patented puke under glass.

#4446 2 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Got my fang club member package !!!.
[quoted image]

Ya gotta put the ball in Bela’s hand!

#4586 2 years ago

Dang, I’m legit shocked. Perhaps that’s my own bias, as I was never even into Halloween even in my horror-loving youth. I was more of a Freddy, Chucky, Hellraiser type. I liked villains that were outlandish. Halloween just seemed boring….but, it clearly has a fanbase - and it’s a theme that’s never been done. My wife is a huge fan & Halloween is our daughter’s birthday - so, might still go for it.

#4737 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Its a horror themed game, I dont think we need to hear this stuff, haha.

It's a pinball machine, so you do need to hear that stuff. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, Drac himself says all the pinball stuff..."Get the Extra Ball!" "Jackpot!" "10 Million!" "THIIIIIRRRRTYYY MEEEELLLEEEEON!!!!"

#4748 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Just adds cheesiness in my opinion, wont effect the game one way or the other for me is all I was saying. Would make sense if the game were Nightmare, just not sure how you pull that off in Halloween.

All modern pinball machines have Jackpot callouts. It's not cheesy, it's expected. The player needs feedback.

#4750 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

While yes, SW in general is probably a much more hyped mainstream fanbase, Halloween (or any of the slasher genre) have a huge cult following. You also have to consider who is actually making the game. Chances are Spooky can make a much more engrossing game than Stern - simply based on the desire to do something less mainstream with the game. The game doesn't need to appeal to the masses.

Yup, Spooky doesn't want/need to sell 3000-5000+ units. You only need a hardcore passionate fanbase to move the themes that Spooky does...that's all they need to build games for a year or so & move on to the next.

#4775 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

But it can be done differently. AC/DC rarely has “jackpot” voice calls. Most of the feedback is from crowd cheers or guitar riffs.
Maybe for Halloween it could be a victim’s scream.

Yeah, AC/DC is a rare one....but the guitar riff is a satisfying feedback sound for Jackpots when they use it. So, sure - I suppose a scream could be used for a jackpot depending on what the MB concept is.

#4920 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I still dont get this approach. It would seem like a waste of resources and diminished margins to add more coding , art, sculpts for 2 pins at the same number as one bigger theme.

It’s actually smart if the 2nd theme is something that appeals to a totally different demographic. Not everyone likes Halloween or wants a horror pin. Making something that appeals to another set of buyers is smart. The horror peeps get their game, other buyers can pick something else. They can have the same code/rules with animation/sound swapped. Not too hard on programming. Not hard on the factory since they’re built & wired the same. Pretty much what Stern did with FG/Shrek…but simultaneous launch.

#4949 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Would make sense if they were like Stern with unlimited production capacity (well, before Covid) and the goal was to sell as many as possible. But Spooky has very limited capacity and would sell out the entire run with Halloween.
Why not sell out & produce the entire run of Halloween then start the new game?
To me, offering 2 different games only makes sense if they are both super niche titles.

Haven’t they recently moved to a bigger building & hired more staff? This is a good way to test building more orders without having to build different machines.

#4952 2 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Ummmmm, you do realize all spooky games besides Rick and Morty were horror related right? Right?

Yeah, Dominos is fucking terrifying.

#4959 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Aaaaah if there was a deal made with John Carpenter then ....... Please let it be Big Trouble in Little China!

No one’s making deals with him. Different studios own the rights to his different movies.

#5066 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

Stern has the license for the Toho Godzilla not the entire franchise.

Toho is the owner of ALL Godzilla. Any licensing goes through them. When people talk about a pin being “Toho Godzilla” that only means it will be classic Japanese & not the American movies. Even if someone wanted to do Godzilla based on the American films, the licensing would have to go through Toho.

#5070 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I bet the 2nd theme will be Friday 13th. Just look at the similarities in the two movies, that tells you right there.

Doing 2 themes on 1 layout that appeal to the same buyers doesn’t make sense. You do 2 layouts for those themes, cuz you want those buyers to buy both.

This will be something totally polar opposite. Fans of either theme won’t want the other. Only way this concept works.

#5157 2 years ago

Everyone is still guessing too mainstream for the 2nd theme. Think of something super obscure that Charlie would like - some old TV show from the 70s on a UHF station that no one remembers…or something local like Svenghoulie. Something family friendly.

#5163 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Futurama would be good but there is not a big enough fan base. Spooky could sell 300, but more would be questionable, so not a good pick. I’d buy one if they built it.

Futurama has a passionate fanbase…I think it’s similar to R&M fans and has a good crossover with pinball. Sci-fi comedy works well with pinball. It may seem too late to do the license since the shows been dead for a while, but I think it’s iconic & nostalgic at this point, which always works for pinball sales.

John DiMaggio would do custom callouts for sure - “Kiss my shiny metal balls!”

#5302 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Ben, still into lasers? Funny, I have a few I needed to sell. Criterion Halloween is one in fact. I like the collectibility of them, but no longer have a player. What do you like about laserdiscs that we don’t have today?

Are they collectible? I purged most of mine a few years ago for practically nothing. I still have a few animation box sets (Tex Avery, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Family Dog) and a few other rando movies like Ransom Directors Cut (don't think that ever came out in any other format)...but I have 3 players in various states of broken and probably won't ever watch these discs ever again lol

#5308 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse.
It's a similar stalker theme to Halloween, so perhaps a re-skin could work. And the design could be gorgeous.

Reskins don't have to be thematically similar.

#5329 2 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

As for the theme, I think it's great. Why does everyone always want campy crap for pinball themes.

Because pinball is fun and humor makes it more fun. Most of the best & most beloved games have some level of humor to them.

#5446 2 years ago
Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

Now that I know it isn't horror, here are my list of guesses:
BoJack Horseman
Venture Bros.
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead
King of the Hill
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Dark Horse)

All totally mainstream licenses.

Think of something OBSCURE AS FUUUUUUUCK.

#5453 2 years ago
Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace???

Never heard of it - so it’s prob a better guess than the others. Looked it up - too new.

I wanna check it out now, so thanks for bringing it up! Matthew Berry is hilarious. Toast of London & What We Do In The Shadows are amazing. Spooky should totally nab the Shadows license if they haven’t already. Perfect theme for them & the funniest show on TV right now, IMO.

BAT!!!!

#5529 2 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Damn! The new Halloween is a Universal flick. Jaws/Halloween both licensed by Universal. That could make sense to the licensor from a $ standpoint

Why? What sense? If you license one thing or two things, you’re paying for each & going through the approval process for each. Plus, if someone made a Jaws game, it would be designed TO the license with a ball eating shark. It wouldn’t be a reskin of a game that would appeal to the same audience.

#5583 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So you're saying it IS a tire!

#5766 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

IF there is a second table and it IS infact a family friendly theme...my guess would be Tom & Jerry. Gotta figure that the stalk, chase, capture, kill gameplay of Halloween would actually translate quite nicely to T&J.
[quoted image]

T&J is mainstream & iconic. 2nd theme is obscure.

#5782 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

We don’t know that the second theme is obscure for a fact.

It’s a fact.

Continue.

#5789 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

If it were a fact you would have proved it

I’ll accept your apology when it’s announced. Keep guessing mainstream licenses tho.

#5820 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That is the one and only popular theme I’ve guessed. I think we can all agree that Spooky may be attempting to balance Halloween with something family friendly (most “family friendly” themes are not obscure...because YOUR FAMILY KNOWS ABOUT IT) Stop pretending you know what the theme is, you don’t aaand you’re being pretentious.

OK Boomer.

#5842 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

We’re all very impressed with your contributions here. Glad to know we’re in the company of such thoughtful, interesting and engaging people like yourself.

Cool story, bruh. What have you contributed other than judging everyone while projecting that others are pretentious, Judgey McJudgerson?

#5848 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Quite a lot, listen...I don’t do pissing matches in threads anymore. If you’d like to carry on with this bologna you can pm me ok? No one else cares to read this shit.

You literally started a pissing match with me & insulted me for zero reason. Stop projecting.

If you truly believe no one cares to read this, delete your posts and I’ll delete mine.

#5996 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Charlie, can you state that the Halloween pin is ONLY the 1978 original and does not include material from the Halloween II sequel in the hospital. Just wondering how the original alone will fill a full game in 2021.

Iron Man pinball is based on 2 movies, but pretty much has no “story” - just “fight Monger, Whiplash & Drones” & collect suits & shields….and it totally works. You don’t need a lot of content to make really fun rules & a great game. We should wait and see what the gameplay concept is before worrying. I don’t think they would have grabbed the license if they didn’t feel it could be properly game-ified.

#6007 2 years ago
Quoted from Venom77:

No offense to Meatloaf , I don't hate their music but I rather buy this instead!
[quoted image]

A bloody turd on pinball legs? What the!?

#6230 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Wait, is this a wide body backglass?? I didn't see that mentioned....
[quoted image]

Look at R&M and modern Sterns. Speaker panel is taller due to the LCD, so there’s less vertical room for the backglass resulting in a wider composition.

#6312 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I went to Rocky Horror once as an adult after seeing it advertised in the local paper every week of my entire childhood life, and it always had a disclaimer "make sure to wear a raincoat" .....? When I arrived, I saw that they wanted to mark a "V" on anyone's forehead in lipstick who showed up claiming to have never seen it. I gave the movie a chance, but I walked out in the middle of it, which is the only movie I have ever done that with. Just couldn't continue, was not a fan personally
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"156fd6d65ba9556fb6bd4ccc770ef8f719ec2521-1625427348-1800"};
//]]>

Sorry to the fans in here, I know you guys seem to love it

I think you kinda have to see it and understand it on its own merits before going to a midnight show…a lot of the fun & humor of that kinda depends on you being in on the joke. I had a similar first RHPS experience (although I was only 15). I was like “WTF” the entire time and left the theater about halfway into it.

After watching it on its own & understanding what it is: an homage to 50s horror/scifi while drenching the previously “clean” genre with 70s sex/drugs/rock ‘n roll….I ended up loving it. And once I knew all the characters and songs, THEN the midnight show gets really funny, because the audience participation & call-outs make sense.

If anything, the music is just great. Check out the Roxy version - the songs are a bit faster paced & energetic…dare I say, better for pinball?

#6389 2 years ago

I’d be way more into Ultraman than Halloween. Hope it has lots of wacky Japanese action show sound FX!

#6617 2 years ago

Lots of Japanese toy collectors in the US who LOVE Ultraman.

#6621 2 years ago

Wow, Halloween looks AMAZING. F it, I’m in! Unless Ultraman looks more amazing - then I dunno what I’ll do!!!

I’m guessing the stalking Michael will be 3 different monsters? We’ll see soon!

#6636 2 years ago
Quoted from Vans:

How many R&M were made?

#6646 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ultraman? It could still be SCOOBY DOO!!!

There are so many Scooby videos, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was Scooby Meets Ultraman lol

#6785 2 years ago

Ultraman looks amazing!

Wow. Which to get?!?!

#6970 2 years ago

Ultraman might be more of a psycho murderer than Michael Myers lol

#7149 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Did they put up pricing yet?

Yeah like a week or so ago.

#7165 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

TNA is super shallow but people love it because it's easy to understand and difficult to master.

I think people are REALLY misusing the word "shallow" these days. People are using "shallow" to describe games with amazing rules, just because they're not math-chess tomes that you need to get a degree in to enjoy a game. Shallow used to mean that a game pretty much had NOTHING going on...no nuance, no real thought put into the rules...it "worked", basically. Like DE BTTF...the only real rules in that game are 1. Hit the drops 2. Lock ball 3. Repeat 4. Multiball....and that's it. TNA, while a simple layout, has SOOOOO much nuance in it & a brilliantly written ruleset that works perfectly with that playfield. The rules are leagues beyond what we traditionally called "shallow". Shallow as an insult...a moniker so we knew that a game was shitty & would get boring quickly.

#7178 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Disagree then. The loop is hit the keypad standups to light a reactor, shoot the scoop to start a reactor, get the ball into the core for a bit, then hit the destroy target(s). Then repeat 8 more times. That is shallow to me. But I also think they're a very good set of rules because of how focused they are. They are elegantly simple and let you focus more on just playing than trapping up to consider a half dozen options that you could be doing.
I don't think it's controversial to say TNA is shallow compared to its modern peers. I don't see much point in comparing it to the depth of thirty year old games.
I guess maybe shallow has a negative connotation compared to "simplistic," but shallow is fine if the loop is fun.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment (other than there is other nuance in the game like the Denesi lock/Multiball, keypad rules, the increasing difficulty, etc) …but in recent years, there’s a faction of people who now insult almost any great game as “shallow” if it’s not Math Chess. It’s just the wrong term to use for great games.

#7179 2 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam before but I've never had the opportunity to play a Spooky pin. Is the Clearcoat/Butter $995 option worth adding on, or not really?

That’s on you. Do you want the cabinet to look normal or like a playfield?

#7191 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Doing math sucks in pinball and I agree with the bonus x gripes (a la Star Wars) when I think of shallow vs deep I just consider how many unique modes and the complexity and variety of the rules within the modes. IMDN JP DP are the best of the modern rulesets imo, they are non linear and you can choose different pathways to achieve different gameplay outcomes and scoring opportunities. It definitely helps the games feel fresh every time you play which I think is critical for a smaller home collection.

I’m really loving my JP & the rules. They’re great! They work perfectly with that design. I also love my Iron Man which is way simpler, but it totally rules & is super addicting. If I ever whittled my collection down to a small one, it would definitely include games like TNA & Iron Man….but that’s me. Everyone has different needs. Not everyone needs or wants ultra deep, even in a small collection. Good is good. Depth as a “must” is subjective.

#7194 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Seems like it isn't worth the money if you had the cabinet in a line up of pins, as you would never see it. Unless you just want the bragging rights? Maybe butter cab will be the true LE? The FOMO Topper is the only thing making me want the CE

Different strokes…I think Spooky’s regular cabs look awesome, colorful, and smooth. Good enough for me. Some people need the top of the line or they cry. Only you know what works for you.

#7959 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Here's what I don't get. I thought there weren't going to be X number of each model.
Are distos only allowed to sell a specific amount of each? I find that odd, given that Spooky said there would be no limits.

Yeah, that was my thought. Why specific numbers of each style if it’s to be determined by the customer?

#8076 2 years ago
Quoted from blastbeat:

On/off topic. Are most spooky owners happy with quality of builds, components, etc.. any big issues etc.? I've mostly heard very good things. Not that it matters now since I bought a CE Halloween but....

I have a TNA that I bought from the its first owner...and the only issue I had was that the targets needed to be gapped a little closer so the targets were more sensitive.

I bought RaM new, and aside from doing a few tweaks to the targets & switches like TNA, it's been pretty great. I had a broken topper motor & Spooky promptly sent me a new one...that one also broke, and they sent me another new one and it's been fine since. They discovered a problem with the legs being too close to the cabinet, and sent everyone new legs.

I love the Spooky experience so far...of course I'd love perfection out of the box, but the fact that they're really on the ball with fixes, service, and sending parts makes them A+++ in my book.

#8211 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I wonder if any straight-up Halloween / Ultraman fans who aren't also pinheads actually managed to snag any machines.

I think so. Certain themes can pull in buyers who aren’t necessarily pinheads. Tron pulled in many arcade collectors (similar hobby, but there are a lot of arcade guys who ONLY do vids…I know a lot who bought Tron as their first pin). Metallica fans bought a lot of Metallicas…same with Kiss fans. Halloween & Ultraman definitely scratch that itch for fans of those franchises. They already like collecting props & toys, and this is something special.

#8303 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

How is this game sold out and we have not seen any gameplay at all

Because:

1. We love Spoopy

2. These are themes combined with FOMO that drive passion to buy.

#8339 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Was that a typo or did you know that was actually a thing?
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/spoopy[quoted image]

I know.

#8450 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

The $399,000 houses we were looking at are now $500K plus so we are just staying put for now.

Houses are ONLY $500k somewhere?!?! What magical fairy tale land do you live in?!

#8483 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

My house was 179k when I bought it. Now I get cash offers of 290k only 5 years later. But I'm fine where I'm at till my wife is done with medical school. Plus I really like the extra workshop on the property that keeps most of my games and projects that aren't house worthy.

I mean, it's all relative. My first house was 298 & I sold it for 509. Last year I sold my previous house for a stupid amount...but, I had to put that into another one lol...oh well, house prices suck here, but as long as they hold or go up decades from now, it's all good.

#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Ah man....Atari 800. Loved that thing. The town I lived in was long distance to everywhere so I was never allowed to get a modem for it

I got an Atari 800 hand me down from my cousins when they got an Apple. I had no idea it had a modem! I mostly used it to play Donkey Kong & Print Shop.

#8656 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

The fairy tale land is Cali.. some day it will become a state again vs pretending its another country. Dont move to Reno or Vegas, people are escaping, moving there, and bringing the price increase with them.

Thanks for sharing propaganda from your disinformation sources. I’m sure you’ve never been here, Florida Man.

#8694 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I’m a little worried about their being four scoops and that it will kill all the flow in the game

So don’t buy one. There are plenty of Steve Ritchie rehashes for flow-hoes.

#8819 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Why is their no gameplay footage shown yet?

Because you touch yourself at night.

#8939 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I really don't understand the point of the fang club. It would make more sense if there was a cutoff date for enrollment. The fact that *anyone* can still see the early access information and still purchase the game early negates any benefit to joining the club in advance. The 2-weeks-later public sale date means nothing... who exactly is the public? The people who just refuse to join the club on principal even though they want the game that's been revealed? There's nothing wrong with generating extra revenue for Spooky, but I can't see the benefit much beyond that.

Clever marketing is what catapulted Stern to where they are now. Sure to us “pinball usual suspects”, all the social media stuff, merch, streaming, and LE FOMO seems silly…but it truly works, helps sales & grows companies. Spooky is smartly learning from that. With things like Fang Club, they’re doing a fun thing to grow a community. They’ve gone from a 500 game a year(or so) company to a 1750 game a year (or so) company. Guaranteed sales. That’s amazing…and fun marketing line Fang Club contributed to that.

#8970 2 years ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Why are we knocking VHS? Its an experience. Not a great one or a horrible one....just... An experience lol
[quoted image]

It was always a horrible way to experience film or video. Even when it was pretty much the only choice. I’m so glad it’s no longer the norm to watch a movie cropped in half to fit 4:3. I spit on VHS’s grave!

65B03A1C-6A3B-4A5B-8882-D9EB702D0457.jpeg65B03A1C-6A3B-4A5B-8882-D9EB702D0457.jpeg
#9089 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

How about an original theme? No license to pay....more toys....

...and no sales!

#9119 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Ill take those unwanted TNA's you must be referring to

TNA is different. It had been played at shows and had a hype built up already. Not the usual way games are revealed/sold.

#9130 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbutterball:

So, original themes can sell if you take them to shows and have a hype man? Can this process be repeated and done better some how?

It’s not even about a hype man. Scott made TNA for himself. It was a homebrew. People played it at shows and really wanted one - so things worked out with Scott & Spooky to do a boutique run. Most pinball companies are factories that need to constantly churn to make financial sense. They need the allure of a nostalgic theme that people will pay for before they even play the game. Any company making an original IP risks buyers taking the “wait and play” approach. Dialed In sold slowly due to this. Oktoberfest sold horribly due to this.

#9136 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Or sometimes its just a good game vs a bad game. The point was unlicensed CAN sell. Nothing more.

They can sell. But in lower numbers & over a longer timeline. Most factories can’t afford to function like that.

#9139 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Seemed liked it worked out Ok for Medieval Madness.

Different time. Irrelevant comparison. People weren’t buying games for homes, everything was for arcades…which were dying. The game actually DIDN’T sell well when it came out. Over the years, as collectors snagged them, THEN it became beloved….and because the numbers were low, it became expensive. Which led to the remake.

Totally different situation than where we are today.

#9140 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I feel that part of the success of TNA was that it was a very niche game. It wasn't trying to compete with Stern or JJP. A non-traditional layout with no ramps for $6,000? That's going to be a non-starter for many buyers. So while being niche helped to drive those initial sales, it also created an upper limit.

I thought TNA looked cool, but I wasn’t gonna take that gamble. Then I played it on location & fell in love. Bought a used one from a friend.

Even tho I love the game and it’s practically my “desert island pin”, my journey to the game didn’t help Spooky. Well, maybe long run it did, cuz I bought R&M and Ultraman NIB.

#9164 2 years ago

They sold 4000 plus units in a pinball downturn. That is more games than Spooky has ever made in total to date times 2. Check your facts before you start making claims. A good game will sell.

1998 vs. 2021. Two very different market realities. Check reality before you start attacking me.

#9174 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Nope. I wanna see and hear how this thing plays. Especially whats in the content of the dmd. Just 5 minutes spooky, please?????

These games do not have a DMD.

#9177 2 years ago

No attack here - perhaps a different opinion. No need for the negative vibes. There is enough of that in the world already.

Opinions must be based on facts…it’s arguments based in false equivalencies lead to most of the problems in the world. Don’t project…that’s a problem, too. Don’t accuse me of negative vibes when you blurted this at me:

Check your facts before you start making claims

Facts: 2021 pinball is a world where people will buy 500+ units of a game they haven’t played if it’s a theme they have nostalgia or love for. It’s been proven over and over that original themes do not sell well compared to the guaranteed sales of licensed games. If someone made “Castle Craziness” today, it would not move guaranteed units like a good license even if it was an amazing game.

#9187 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If Spooky made it and it was amazing, it would sell well because Spooky is now a trusted and well-respected brand.

I’m not sure. Look how many of the Halloween buyers are saying it’s their favorite horror movie ever, or just love the horror movie genre….or Ultraman buyers loving the theme or at least the Japanese man-in-rubber-suit genre. I think if Spooky only wanted to sell 500 & not sell out day 1, sure - go for an original theme…but now they’re a Day 1 sellout/1750 unit per run company. I bet the next game they’ll wanna do 2000. The need that nostalgic familiarity love bug to bite for those numbers.

Stern’s a trusted and well respected brand. What sells more? “Gary Stern’s Paranormal Peril” or Ghostbusters? “Metalhead Gary & The Headbangers” or AC/DC?

#9191 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Weird Al seems like the perfect grail for a Pinball Company to pick. Though I'm not sure how the licensing part would work.
This is something I've toyed with as an idea for a home-brew pinball them as the assets are out there and UHF..
I'd like to see it done better by some folks with some experience in this racket. UHF --- poifect.
Drink from the Water Cannon.
Weird All UHF is a cornucopia of sample material itself.
Hell maybe this is my unicorn... Just need more time......
There is just so many paths one could tread even if someone picks up on the niche. It worked for him it would be Elvira huge.
Really surprised it hasn't happened or been prototyped already by Williams and Bally.

Weird Al is a really nice & collaborative artist. If someone wanted to do a Weird Al pin, it would not shock me if he WANTED to be super involved...write new exclusive songs just for the game, help come up with features & comedy. He could even wrangle in other comedians for wacky characters & voices. It could really just be a random Rube-Goldberg goofy-as-hell game that's relatively "original" like the Elvira games, and like Elvira - Al would be the "host" of game.

#9195 2 years ago
Quoted from pinbutterball:

How about an original theme?

Original theme's will sell. TNA will also sell more in it's 2.0 run then it did before.

Dang some of you people just love false equivalency. Once again, TNA was a homebrew that gained a following and demand BEFORE it was announced as a boutique run. That normally doesn't happen. As for 2.0 - at this point TNA is now a KNOWN game that's had 3 or 4 years to build a reputation.

This is not the usual path of pinball production. TNA is a rare situation.

#9197 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

If you’re anime loving friend doesn’t know what AKIRA is then...he’s an imposter. It is by far the most important and impressive Japanese animation of all time.

I'm guessing he's young. There is SOOOOOO much anime now on streaming services, I could see someone being into anime, but only knowing series from the last 20 or 30 years & not exploring pre-90's anime.

On the flip side, I consider myself "anime loving" but barely know any series of the past 20 years lol. At this point it's overwhelming to "catch up". It's like walking into a comic book store and wondering "where do I start"....so, I just watch Ranma 1/2 again.

#9210 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

The 90’s shit was the best hands down...I don’t were missing much with the new stuff haha. AKIRA Vampire Hunter D Ninja Scroll Paprika...nothing these days can touch that stuff.

There's some cool stuff today with some amazing animation (I've seen clips of various shows)...but there's just so much of it, and I don't have time to commit to it. I think the only new-ish anime I've watched all the way through is Hi-Score Girl, cuz I liked the retro video game theme.

But yeah, I'm partial to the older stuff like Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, El Hazard, Cutey Honey, Goldenboy, Slayers...and all the Ghibli movies or weird movies like Project A-Ko. I think the "newest" I liked were Cowboy Bebop, Dead Leaves, Azumanga Daioh, Ping Pong Club, Cromartie High School...and those are "old" by now hah. Cromartie was 2003! ANCIENT!

#9228 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Still no gameplay; I’d be very curious why they have not shown any gameplay yet very odd

D-rock, let it go…they’ll show it when they show it.

#9286 2 years ago
Quoted from Drac:

I know I can get a little sensitive when I see any discouragement to Spooky for doing this because I want more horror games in the future.

He wasn't discouraging them. He was thanking them for doing an alternate.

#9319 2 years ago
Quoted from prl867:

Just idle curiosity question:
When the numbers are all finalized, will spooky publish the exact numerical breakdown of the 3 trim levels adding up to 1250 for Halloween?
I’d be interested to see how many got the CE vs. Bloodsucker.
I opted for CE after originally planning to just get the Bloodsucker.

I think they'll have to if the CE's and BSE's are gonna have numbered plaques attached. R&M did, so they had to know how many would be BSE's before they committed to the plaques being made.

1 year later
#11820 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like kind of a rushed promo. They didn't even animate the balls rolling when they were going between the doors,

LOL, it’s based on Hanna-Barbera TV animation. Cheap = accurate. HB would have just slid around a held cel of a pinball if they were animating this.

#11827 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think changing the frame rate would help. It would make it a bit less smooth side to side. HB was probably animating 4-6 frames per second back then? (If that much)

A panning object would have been shot on 1s (24fps). Sure it’s 1 drawing without any animation, but pans are always 1s or they strobe.

#11839 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Even when there were other animated cells in the same scene? Like wouldn’t the ball have originally matched the running animation cell movement? They wouldn’t be shot separate

No matter how many drawings are used, the film is always shot at 24fps. Some cels might be shot on 2s or 3s. That’s where the money is saved. The film still has to be 24fps to play at the correct speed. Within that 24fps, let’s say a character is just talking. There might be 1 cel of the body held for a while…a head that’s held, but animates up and back down sometimes, the mouth animation which is usually on 2s. You can’t really think of it in video game frames per second terminology.

#11859 1 year ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

JJP is going to make Pee-Wee.

Gawd, I hope not. They'll base it on the newer Netflix movie or some shit.

1 year later
#13110 3 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Will be interesting to see what the music is like for both these titles, part of the reason I love Halloween is the iconic Carpenter soundtrack but drawing a blank on what music would fit either of these.

Looney TUNES - music was the basis of all the classic cartoons. I hope they lean into Carl Stalling & Raymond Scott vs. the classical music they’re using in the trailer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
NinjaCamp Mods
Protection
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
7,500 (Firm)
Trade
$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 300.00
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.