pasted_image (resized).png
20230711_133112 (resized).jpg
20230711_132402 (resized).jpg
20230419_205104 (resized).jpg
B4ACA340-4DDF-4E9F-892B-5E4E9E29AF7E (resized).jpeg
C02DF4C8-DD9A-4F04-B37D-5C610F4F8B51 (resized).jpeg
8DC66FAA-F87E-4E0D-B6A7-07163BEE03C2 (resized).jpeg
BB043C8D-E4AB-4A31-87EC-83528E97C801 (resized).jpeg
There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I recently picked up a pretty nice unpopulated playfield for my Alien Star. Was going to have it touched up and cleared to swap in my game but if it can be used to scan for playfields to be made by a manufacturer I may be willing to lend it out to help out the group.[quoted image]

Mike,

PLEASE reach out directly to CPR and see what we can do here.

I think this is going to take the community working to make it happen. Guessing we would need to line up all the puzzle pieces and push it forward.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mike,
PLEASE reach out directly to CPR and see what we can do here.
I think this is going to take the community working to make it happen. Guessing we would need to line up all the puzzle pieces and push it forward.

I reached out to Stu, the Art Director for CPR and he told me that they weren't interested in doing any more Gottlieb games because there wasn't the demand for it. He recommended reaching out to Steve Young at PBR.

1 month later
#53 4 years ago

Lets make demand for it.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

I scanned an NOS Super Orbit and it would need photoshop work done due to scuffs from handling/storage and I do not have photoshop skills.

Anyway I could get a copy of that scan? I know nothing about Photoshop, but might be able to dig up someone that does depending on the amount of work it takes to clean up and vectorize (which is what I think is needed).

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I reached out to Stu, the Art Director for CPR and he told me that they weren't interested in doing any more Gottlieb games because there wasn't the demand for it. He recommended reaching out to Steve Young at PBR.

Well, that sucks..I would buy one, maybe two!

#56 4 years ago

Put me down for one.

#57 4 years ago

Please make this happen !

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Please make this happen !

I'm going to call Steve Young this morning and put a bug in his ear.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm going to call Steve Young this morning and put a bug in his ear.

What would it take to make this a reality?

Guessing:
1. Steve Young to sign off on allowing it or we pay a flat fee for the option?
2. Someone able to make the correct at files?
3. We commission a small run from CPR to make these?

#60 4 years ago

The tally is certainly growing!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

What would it take to make this a reality?
Guessing:
1. Steve Young to sign off on allowing it or we pay a flat fee for the option?
2. Someone able to make the correct at files?
3. We commission a small run from CPR to make these?

I talked to Steve this morning- He has not been pushing any playfield projects but has assisted and may have the films for Alien Star. He also indicated that Micro holds a Gottlieb license so should be able to do Alien Star with few if any licensing issues. He indicated that CPR would have to obtain a Gottlieb license to produce an Alien Star playfield ***if they don't hold one***.

I don't see any Gottlieb products in the CPR line up so getting CPR to produce playfields could be problematic. You would have to ask them if they have a license but since no Gottlieb products are for sale by CPR I suspect the answer most likely is not at this time.

Steve also said that Micro might be very busy with other projects and a small run of Alien Star playfields might not be financial viable due to the limited number of machines out there.

So, what is a real number of people looking to buy so Micro and be approached and inquire about a possible buy? Having that number in hand might help in the conversation.

I'm in for one.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

So, what is a real number of people looking to buy so Micro and be approached and inquire about a possible buy? Having that number in hand might help in the conversation.
I'm in for one.

Count me in as well!

I will buy one!

#63 4 years ago

I'm interested. Although, not holding my breath... I'll likely restore both my alien star playfields before a remake happens.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I'm interested. Although, not holding my breath... I'll likely restore both my alien star playfields before a remake happens.

Odds are I'll be doing the same, but if you can state you have a legit 50 to 100 people with cash in hand it might make the process easier.

#65 4 years ago

Technically 50+ people in this thread seem to want one, but I bet the conversion rate when 'forum post' becomes '$800' isn't really that high regardless of what we might say

#66 4 years ago

I will buy 2

#67 4 years ago

Has anyone reached out to Wade? He does small runs of Gottlieb playfields, this would be right up his alley.

#68 4 years ago

Absolutely would buy one!! What's $800 when we are talking about the masterpiece that is Alien Star !!!

1 month later
#69 4 years ago

I would take one too!

2 weeks later
#70 3 years ago

Any progress on this or just a wild dream?

#71 3 years ago

Fingers crossed !!!!

#72 3 years ago

Count me in.

#73 3 years ago

Are there any NOS playfields out there to use for a template?

1 month later
#74 3 years ago

Folks -

I have too much time on my hands. I got a hold of a playfield scan. It's rough, and it's gonna take about 40 hours or so, but it will look NOS, or very close to it when I am done.

When it is done, I will make it accessible to the entire community, for free and for educational purposes of course. I will also make several color variations.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Folks -
I have too much time on my hands. I got a hold of a playfield scan. It's rough, and it's gonna take about 40 hours or so, but it will look NOS, or very close to it when I am done.
When it is done, I will make it accessible to the entire community, for free and for educational purposes of course. I will also make several color variations.

Nice and rhx

#76 3 years ago

Folks -

Already an update. The pinsider that provided me the scan sent me a second one that has been cleaned up a bit. He did a lot of cleaning to it - cutting the time I need to take, probably in half.

I’m about 4 hours in and it already looks really good. Calling it a night. Want to let y’all know, I also have the BACKGLASS. I’ll be adding them both to my website - please don’t hesitate to send a DM if you want either scans for educational purpose.

Cheers,

Moberg

#77 3 years ago

I went looking a while ago, nothing around in the way of a playfield protector?

Why are these not being made?

20200620_141921 (resized).jpg20200620_141921 (resized).jpg

20200620_141956 (resized).jpg20200620_141956 (resized).jpg

20200620_142045 (resized).jpg20200620_142045 (resized).jpg

If I flattened out the paper I guess I could try take a square photo.... but my top lanes got butchered by some previous owner and my game has long guides for the present, so my template won't match the standard game either.

If anyone wants to do what I did, make one yorself, it is cut from 1mm polycarbonate, and works brilliantly. If you do, it is imperative that you can trim and make cuts in ways, and with tools, that do Not distort the material edges from being dead flat!.

I made shims from the same material, to jack the spinner mount the same height as original. I may make a video for YT soon.

I would like to get the playfield restored and clearcoated. Looking for accurate art for touch-ups. Also down for a New playfield!

#78 3 years ago

Folks -

Holy crap. Thank you so much for doing this. Now I need to get one that's blown out so I can have my guy print it. He's never done a playfield before so I don't really want to sand mine down as a test.

Anyone have a blown out one they want to sell.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Holy crap. Thank you so much for doing this. Now I need to get one that's blown out so I can have my guy print it. He's never done a playfield before so I don't really want to sand mine down as a test.
Anyone have a blown out one they want to sell.

I should give y’all an update - I’m nearly finished. This has taken *forever.* Pixel perfect hasn’t been an easy feat. Should be done by or on Monday. If it wasn’t for quarantine this never would have gotten done. The new image looks amazing!

The black background is jet black and with a glossy printing method - it’ll look shiny and wonderful for years to come! The yellow and orange are true to the original flyer for the game.

I only took one liberty and removed what’s his names signature from the playfield - it’s the only way the art package could possibly be improved.

ADDITIONALLY:

I will be unearthing and releasing never before seen information regarding the development of the game in the coming weeks. Very excited to share that with everyone. I may even release it in chapters to keep y’all in suspense!

#80 3 years ago

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I thought I was done with this - until technology screwed me over. I’ve been doing this project on an old CRT monitor that’s been passed through the family for forever.

Well, it looked REALLY good. I took a photo to prove my fabulous circle redrawing skills when I noticed something alarming, through the camera of my phone - see photo #2. There’s the slightest variation of black in this photo of my CRT monitor which isn’t visible to my eyes, but to a smartphone camera.

I figured I needed to open my laptop to see it in hi-def, and guess what? Photo #1 shows my fill tool didn’t really work too well.

This is not a cancellation - just a delay. I’m glad I realized it - otherwise y’all would have spent money to print this, looked *real* close at the playfield and been very upset at me.

This has been a massive undertaking - and in retrospect - maybe not worth it. But - I’ve come this far so - onward to painting thousands more individual pixels zoomed in at 800%.
4421DDA9-69BA-43B3-A67B-9F8823F4AACD (resized).png4421DDA9-69BA-43B3-A67B-9F8823F4AACD (resized).png8FAC0318-B342-4746-927E-9678209E8A44 (resized).jpeg8FAC0318-B342-4746-927E-9678209E8A44 (resized).jpeg

#81 3 years ago

you can do it!

thx for the effortS!

#82 3 years ago

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I thought I was done with this - until technology screwed me over. I’ve been doing this project on an old CRT monitor that’s been passed through the family for forever.
Well, it looked REALLY good. I took a photo to prove my fabulous circle redrawing skills when I noticed something alarming, through the camera of my phone - see photo #2. There’s the slightest variation of black in this photo of my CRT monitor which isn’t visible to my eyes, but to a smartphone camera.
I figured I needed to open my laptop to see it in hi-def, and guess what? Photo #1 shows my fill tool didn’t really work too well.
This is not a cancellation - just a delay. I’m glad I realized it - otherwise y’all would have spent money to print this, looked *real* close at the playfield and been very upset at me.
This has been a massive undertaking - and in retrospect - maybe not worth it. But - I’ve come this far so - onward to painting thousands more individual pixels zoomed in at 800%.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Keep er going! Appreciate the effort!

1 month later
#83 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I went looking a while ago, nothing around in the way of a playfield protector?
Why are these not being made?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
If I flattened out the paper I guess I could try take a square photo.... but my top lanes got butchered by some previous owner and my game has long guides for the present, so my template won't match the standard game either.
If anyone wants to do what I did, make one yorself, it is cut from 1mm polycarbonate, and works brilliantly. If you do, it is imperative that you can trim and make cuts in ways, and with tools, that do Not distort the material edges from being dead flat!.
I made shims from the same material, to jack the spinner mount the same height as original. I may make a video for YT soon.
I would like to get the playfield restored and clearcoated. Looking for accurate art for touch-ups. Also down for a New playfield!

if someone has scans of the PF, you can send them to playfield-protectors.com and they will make a PF protector pretty easily. Good solution until repro PF become available

2 weeks later
#84 3 years ago

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
[quoted image][quoted image]

So what happened with this? It's been 2 months & now it looks like his account is inactive.

Like everyone else here, I could desperately use an AS playfield scan, or better yet a reproduction playfield.

#85 3 years ago

The guy I found disappeared. So any help by a person that has a specimen would be great!

2 months later
#86 3 years ago

Any updates on this? I could use a playfield.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Any updates on this? I could use a playfield.

you and me both!

#88 3 years ago

Is this happening?!

#89 3 years ago

I'm in for one if someone does a run.

Been on the fence about repairing this playfield or selling the game. Might just fold it up and wait for a playfield to come along.

Copy of 20200307_165714 (resized).jpgCopy of 20200307_165714 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#90 3 years ago

I don't know who's listening on a reproduction playfield run.....but I'm giving this request another BUMP!

#91 3 years ago

i am not sure if there was any progress? Anyone has a good PF that could be scanned or provided to a Mirco/CPR? mine is pretty bad unfortunately

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:i am not sure if there was any progress? Anyone has a good PF that could be scanned or provided to a Mirco/CPR? mine is pretty bad unfortunately

SilverballSleuth had a scan being cleaned up from somewhere ?

#93 3 years ago

I had given him the scan I did of mine after I did some touch up and clear.

NOTES:

SOME OF THIS IS NOT AS ORIGINAL, MAINLY THE UPPER SHIP BY THE 'A' IN ALIEN INSERT THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO TRY TO RECREATE SO CHANGED THE POP RINGS TO DISGUISE IT. ALSO GOT RID OF THE WHITE RINGS AROUND THE POPS.

THERE ARE ALSO AREAS THAT I DID NOT TOUCH UP THAT STILL SHOW WEAR

SCANNED AT 300 DPI AND STITCHED TOGETHER IN PHOTOSHOP, NOT GUARANTEED TO BE 100% ACCURATE (BUT PRETTY DARN CLOSE).

Here is a link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jptrqnu899q8siy/AS_stitch.zip?dl=0

Have at it. I'm far from an expert at PS, so will not be attempting to fix/finish this myself.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I had given him the scan I did of mine after I did some touch up and clear.
NOTES:
SOME OF THIS IS NOT AS ORIGINAL, MAINLY THE UPPER SHIP BY THE 'A' IN ALIEN INSERT THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO TRY TO RECREATE SO CHANGED THE POP RINGS TO DISGUISE IT. ALSO GOT RID OF THE WHITE RINGS AROUND THE POPS.
THERE ARE ALSO AREAS THAT I DID NOT TOUCH UP THAT STILL SHOW WEAR
SCANNED AT 300 DPI AND STITCHED TOGETHER IN PHOTOSHOP, NOT GUARANTEED TO BE 100% ACCURATE (BUT PRETTY DARN CLOSE).
Here is a link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jptrqnu899q8siy/AS_stitch.zip?dl=0
Have at it. I'm far from an expert at PS, so will not be attempting to fix/finish this myself.

that looks real nice, who did you give the scan too previously?

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

that looks real nice, who did you give the scan too previously?

silverballslouth known as misterrmoberg at the time. also gave it to someone else who was going to use as reference for his project. I mainly scanned it to use in building the visual pinball version (which I haven't gotten around to updating).

#96 3 years ago

Hi,

If here still is demand I can work on this title in spring after finishing a few others which are still in production. But in any case I need one physical board here, no matter what condition and pictures or scan of the areas which are damaged on this playfield. If we get close to that I will reach out for the licence...

Regards,
Mirco

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Hi,
If here still is demand I can work on this title in spring after finishing a few others which are still in production. But in any case I need one physical board here, no matter what condition and pictures or scan of the areas which are damaged on this playfield. If we get close to that I will reach out for the licence...
Regards,
Mirco

Scan is above. It needs cleanup but should give you what you need overall.

I pinged a buddy that possibly has a pf he pulled from his game.

#99 3 years ago

And there is definitely demand

#100 3 years ago

Oh snap it’s happening

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-run-of-alien-star-playfields-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.