pasted_image (resized).png
20230711_133112 (resized).jpg
20230711_132402 (resized).jpg
20230419_205104 (resized).jpg
B4ACA340-4DDF-4E9F-892B-5E4E9E29AF7E (resized).jpeg
C02DF4C8-DD9A-4F04-B37D-5C610F4F8B51 (resized).jpeg
8DC66FAA-F87E-4E0D-B6A7-07163BEE03C2 (resized).jpeg
BB043C8D-E4AB-4A31-87EC-83528E97C801 (resized).jpeg
There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 1 year ago

The CNC file is ready but will be tweaked for alignment when the playfield arrives. The Inkscape files from Jr-007 also arrived and, after some trickery, were successfully ported to Illustrator and laid out over the CNC file. There is a significant amount of gradient mesh work to be done to make this look like the original.
Spoke to copyright owner. Everything will come together.

Backglass too? I could give it a try. I have only done a few titles. They have their own problems, but the graphics team needs work while I am cutting wood.

Fantastic

#252 1 year ago
Quoted from Zukram:

How is the quality of the brgresto glass ?

It definitely looks good in my opinion. I don't think it transmits light as well as the original but I think I've heard that of most bgresto backglasses.

#253 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have discussed scanning mine in and having Coos make one.

The great news just keeps on coming. Oh how I hope this is true.

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

It definitely looks good in my opinion. I don't think it transmits light as well as the original but I think I've heard that of most bgresto backglasses.

agreed, definitely a great option if your original is busted. They are never quite as good as the original. I ended up selling my CPR Barracora when i put it next to my 7/10 original... different for everyone i guess?

Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Spoke to copyright owner. Everything will come together.

That is a GOOD news!

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

They are better than nothing.

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I'm not sure of BGresto's process, but I feel the film with the image is too thick & dark to allow enough light through it. I had to add a ton of additional LED strips to my QS repro just to make it look better. I won't even mention the lack of communication throughout the process.

Coos process is superior IMO. Lets light pass through, the colors are vibrant & the mirroring is fricking gorgeous. And a quick turnaround. If he decides to commit to making AS, then that's the way to go.

#257 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The great news just keeps on coming. Oh how I hope this is true.

Oh I have definitely been chatting with Coos, I have purchased 5 of his films now and they are superb.

As soon as I can get caught up on my house projects I'll work on scanning it in but be aware it needs some help as well due to delamination.

#258 1 year ago

I am in for one. Will find a machine later.

I swear the makers of predator must have seen this artwork before making their movie.

1 week later
#259 1 year ago

The sample playfield arrived, so I placed an alignment film on it. The alignment shows that the scan was stretched lengthwise, thus the alignment gets further out of tolerance from top to bottom. It is possible that the printer that printed the alignment was inaccurate. I will measure and adjust. It takes several measurements and adjustments before the printed alignment matches the playfield within tolerances and it has to be bang on prior to being ready to cut first wood.

0D8E43AC-FBFE-4DAC-B402-2927887450DD (resized).jpeg0D8E43AC-FBFE-4DAC-B402-2927887450DD (resized).jpeg1DF807C5-ECC5-4452-B4CE-7BC9E24E380F (resized).jpeg1DF807C5-ECC5-4452-B4CE-7BC9E24E380F (resized).jpeg44802D1D-E9FB-46E5-9042-61DBF2D2DE3C (resized).jpeg44802D1D-E9FB-46E5-9042-61DBF2D2DE3C (resized).jpeg

#260 1 year ago

Count me in for a playfield and hopefully a back glass!

#261 1 year ago

Very interesting seeing your development process! That reference playfield looks pretty nice. Big thanks to MikeS helping you out with this.

Are you able to reproduce plastics as well? Just curious

#262 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Very interesting seeing your development process! That reference playfield looks pretty nice. Big thanks to MikeS helping you out with this.
Are you able to reproduce plastics as well? Just curious

I am planning to make plastics for these as well.
I will prep the files to make the plastics and discuss with Steve Young.

#263 1 year ago

now that is 2 good news! definitely take both

#264 1 year ago

Yeah man. Pretty sure every owner in this thread will take a PF & a plastics set. You picked the right title to produce.

#265 1 year ago

Still down for one. My PF is absolutely rooted. Back Glass too, plastic are surprisingly ok.

Matto

#266 1 year ago

Is there a ballpark in pricing for the playfield and/or plastics?

#267 1 year ago

Am I the only one that's expecting Mirco to announce he has these on his production line now that Fantastic has agreed to produce them???

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Am I the only one that's expecting Mirco to announce he has these on his production line now that Fantastic has agreed to produce them???

His excuse has always been the fact that he doesn't have a suitable donor PF for scanning. Fantastic has my business regardless, as I'd rather support an upcoming independent PF manufacturer anyway.

#269 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

he has no donor right now, so i would assume not.

Quoted from La4s:

Is there a ballpark in pricing for the playfield and/or plastics?

there is a link for his Seawitch PF above so i assume similar-ish price?

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Wouldn’t matter to me, I choose not to support that company.

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Wouldn’t matter to me, I choose not to support that company.

Same here.

#272 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Not a fair statement. This is a licensed product and production is controlled. Mirco is not producing the playfield.

Fantastic!

#273 1 year ago

Round two of alignments.
Close, but not quite.

Fantastic!

14C6A8B2-2992-4203-A371-53DDBED89444 (resized).jpeg14C6A8B2-2992-4203-A371-53DDBED89444 (resized).jpeg87320B76-026B-4F2D-846F-E0A523944644 (resized).jpeg87320B76-026B-4F2D-846F-E0A523944644 (resized).jpegC92F2F31-E427-468D-9506-4F10E74DD851 (resized).jpegC92F2F31-E427-468D-9506-4F10E74DD851 (resized).jpeg
#274 1 year ago

Not a fair statement. This is a licensed product and production is controlled. Mirco is not producing the playfield.
Fantastic!

Why isn't a fair statement? Mirco has produced pf (maybe plural but one only comes to mind as of typing this) that another had produced and Mirco claims to have received approval to do Alien Star in Post #110.

Looking forward to seeing your end result. Not interested in this particular pf but hoping you can expand in the future to handling more volumes/titles.

#275 1 year ago

Round two of alignments.
Close, but not quite.
Fantastic!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Marvelous

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Why isn't a fair statement? Mirco has produced pf (maybe plural but one only comes to mind as of typing this) that another had produced and Mirco claims to have received approval to do Alien Star in Post #110.
Looking forward to seeing your end result. Not interested in this particular pf but hoping you can expand in the future to handling more volumes/titles.

Mirco has agreed to the production plan. They are not my competitor, but an ally in trying to succeed at producing quality products. If I was unable to achieve the production capacity needed, then I would turn to Mirco for assistance. My operation is designed for small runs. I do batches of 2-5 playfields. This is ideal for playfields that have been run and don’t have high demand. Working together with others is the best way to produce this sort of product. Mirco is working every day to produce quality products, not some Cheap Pathetic Ripoff product.

#277 1 year ago

My operation is designed for small runs. I do batches of 2-5 playfields.

Good to know and thanks for the post.

4 weeks later
#278 1 year ago

Inserts have arrived. CNC file ready to cut. Some final checks being done with the art. Almost ready to go!

A8714B25-2EDD-4F8F-8BA5-5F77208F5B00 (resized).jpegA8714B25-2EDD-4F8F-8BA5-5F77208F5B00 (resized).jpeg
#279 1 year ago

Inserts have arrived. CNC file ready to cut. Some final checks being done with the art. Almost ready to go!
[quoted image]

Are you keeping it the same weird mix of opaque and star inserts?

#280 1 year ago

[quoted image]

I can't wait to see it! I can't believe this is finally happening!

#281 1 year ago

Great news.

#282 1 year ago

Can’t wait will buy as soon as it is available!! Thanks for getting this project off the ground, will be many happy collectors.

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Are you keeping it the same weird mix of opaque and star inserts?

This is a good question. I noticed the weird mix. It is like they grabbed what was available. I will likely make the first batch (5) as per original before looking at any modifications.

Fantastic

#284 1 year ago

Star inserts are nicer by giving the light underneath more pop.
I think it would look more modern.
-Mike

#285 1 year ago

Changes from original should only be done by request imo. I'd never buy a playfield with wrong inserts

#286 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Changes from original should only be done by request imo. I'd never buy a playfield with wrong inserts

I agree with Mr Zach here-

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Frankly I'd be happy to buy one with clear starbursts if it was available. That way I could lamp as I saw fit.

#288 1 year ago

LOL y'all are ridiculous. Say hypothetically green starburst inserts are unavailable so he puts in a smooth one (or an opaque one where it would logically make sense up top), you will stick with your blown out playfield?

A repro playfield will inherently never be original, but you get a nice beautiful new playfield.

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

LOL y'all are ridiculous. Say hypothetically green starburst inserts are unavailable so he puts in a smooth one (or an opaque one where it would logically make sense up top), you will stick with your blown out playfield?
A repro playfield will inherently never be original, but you get a nice beautiful new playfield.

I'll take an average original over a wrong repro. You'd never catch me putting a cpr in any of my games with their awful print quality either. Maybe if a single insert or two wasn't available I'd steal a few from a used playfield or something to fix it and then get it recleared? I'm going to all the money + effort of doing a playfield swap, I'm gonna do it the right way all the way, or I'm not doing it at all

#290 1 year ago

I invite all of you to look at the photo gallery in an Alien Poker topic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-repro-playfields-list-oppening

You will be able to see that the new repro playfield has starburst inserts and imo looks fantastic.

This was something that was discussed in previous topics and a vote was taken to use starburst over the opec inserts.

I am an owner of this playfield although not installed as of yet, incase any feel my opinion is biased.
-Mike

#291 1 year ago

everyone likes different things

#292 1 year ago
Quoted from joegeno:

Found in an NOS alien star play field that PBR can get a scan from. Talk to the owner about letting them get a scan since they don’t have one and doing a small run of alien star playfields. Gauging interest based off perspective buyers to see what the price point would be. Would love to have one for my game. I can remember talking to a lot of people who had the game, with a blown out playfield that I would think would be very interested in this item.

So I own the “OG Mitts” Alien Star and after 4+ years of playfield development I’m a buyer for a new playfield!

#293 1 year ago

Ok, here we go again.
With each tweak of the alignment I move the positioning of the CNC cuts closer to the accurate position as determined by the sample playfield. This is already the forth or fifth print and tweak. Perhaps I should be better at this, but I am still seeing changes to be made. I was really looking forward to cutting wood today, but this final check shows me that I have to do at least one more round of change and check.

Fantastic!

0A283A9A-5AFD-486F-9848-AA182F85B6E0 (resized).jpeg0A283A9A-5AFD-486F-9848-AA182F85B6E0 (resized).jpeg46188F81-9CD1-41E0-85B9-17CE307C21F4 (resized).jpeg46188F81-9CD1-41E0-85B9-17CE307C21F4 (resized).jpeg
#294 1 year ago

Trying to match stuff up like that is always a pain, I remember doing like 10 passes on my homebrew and still never got it perfect

#295 1 year ago

This is a good question. I noticed the weird mix. It is like they grabbed what was available. I will likely make the first batch (5) as per original before looking at any modifications.
Fantastic

I’d make a few PFs exactly as the original to satisfy the purists, but I also support modern improvements & changes if it makes sense. I wouldn’t mind seeing clear starburst inserts everywhere. In fact I’d prefer that. Uniform look & easy enough to use colored LEDs in the clear inserts as you see fit.

I just want I cleared pretty playfield to replace my roached one! Keep up the great work

1 week later
#296 1 year ago

I am interested....PM me

1 week later
#297 1 year ago

FantasticPinball I want to buy one as well. Is there a list I can get on? Thank you!

2 weeks later
#298 1 year ago

I would like to get on this list also please.

#299 1 year ago

Put me on the list as well

3FF1511B-FAD8-4CB2-A39F-E3A3185D993B (resized).jpeg3FF1511B-FAD8-4CB2-A39F-E3A3185D993B (resized).jpeg
#300 1 year ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Put me on the list as well
[quoted image]

I wish mine was that nice, I'd fix it up.

There are 382 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-run-of-alien-star-playfields-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.