Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjp#3 (resized).jpg
    cff_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
    Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    quote-if-you-ve-got-them-by-the-balls-their-hearts-and-minds-will-follow-john-wayne-194395_(resized).jpg
    images_(1)_(resized).jpg
    DSC_1342_(resized).JPG
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    stranger_(resized).jpg
    tin-can-telephone_(resized).jpg
    http__mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_03_motorola-dynatac-8000x1_(resized).jpg
    princess_bride_(resized).jpg
    Backglass_(resized).jpg
    There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The issue with the Hobbit isn't that people have differing opinions.
    It's the the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

Honestly, I think this is a game where the difference in home environment vs. location environment is huge. Simple as that.

#352 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer0415:

Honestly, I think this is a game where the difference in home environment vs. location environment is huge. Simple as that.

I don't know man. For good players, there really isn't that much difference between home and location providing you have a good location that takes care of their games. Some of us spend a LOT of our time out there playing the games.

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's that the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

Have you spoken with everyone who has played the Hobbit?

#354 7 years ago

I don't own Hobbit, but I wish that I did. I think it's a fun game for a lot of reasons, but it's pretty easy to see why it's not a game that everyone would like. I think that JJP is trying to do things a bit differently in a lot of areas so that they can carve out their niche within this niche and have a nice business doing it. Kudos to them (and Heighway for that matter) for doing things in a different way than Stern.

#355 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Have you spoken with everyone who has played the Hobbit?

Yes, I have spoken with everyone who has played the hobbit.

The only people who are in love with it are those who own one or who are selling one.

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know man. For good players, there really isn't that much difference between home and location providing you have a good location that takes care of their games. Some of us spend a LOT of our time out there playing the games.

I do as well, just don't make many tournaments. And my experience with location vs. home environment is much different than yours I guess. Seems like anywhere I try going, the games just don't play as well. WOZ and Hobbit were probably the biggest difference I noticed.

#357 7 years ago

This conversation on TH reminds me of my TSPP experience. Everyone was talking about how great a game it was. I finally got to play on location and thought 'bleh', not a lot of flow, odd shots, so much going on, etc. and I just did not get why it was so highly thought of. Then I read up on the rules and it totally changed my perspective of the game, and then I started to really enjoy it.

Some games can be fun just given the layouts without knowing the rules (e.g. many fan games), others you need to understand the rules to enjoy it.

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's that the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

With JJP selling likely around $15-20 million worth of these and those people being in love with it, still many on back order ... is that a problem for the pinball industry? Quite a few of those Hobbit owners are repeat customers that love WOZ. Good for JJP. If you don't love it, don't buy it. I love it, don't have it ... yet.

#359 7 years ago

Soooo.... When is JJP going to reveal pin #3?

#360 7 years ago

Rules and code have nothing to do with it. I don't find the shots interesting. I don't find the playfield interesting. Code does not change that.

#361 7 years ago

I'm so glad there are several companies that make pinballs. Williams/Bally to me were the best. Since they are not around, I have to rely on new companies. If Stern was the only company, I would be out of the hobby. Thank you JJP and Spooky.

#362 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

This feels like WAY TOO much work for pinball enjoyment. Memorizing 31 modes and their "stack-a-bility"? I can't. Do. That. Ever.

Relax...I was just trying to reply to CrazyLevi with the tired old argument that it has to be in ideal settings or modes understood to enjoy it. Truth is, I like it more the more I play it.

Here is the news flash - it isn't for everyone. Some will not like it (regardless of what other's say to try to convince him to like it). And in a similar fashion, people that like the hobbit (like me) don't understand why people don't have the fun we experience when playing it.

The best thing to do is play before buy - so you will find out if you like it or not - or if you love it enough to own it. Simple as that?

#363 7 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Rules and code have nothing to do with it. I don't find the shots interesting. I don't find the playfield interesting. Code does not change that.

my personal experience is that my perspective of if a playfield is interesting, has changed, once I understood the rules. But I certainly understand if you have never experienced that kind of a epiphany where your perspective of the playfield changed.

#364 7 years ago

I am still very interested in JJP, and what Lawlor can cook up. I'm not here to trash the company. I'm glad they are in the business.

#365 7 years ago

These are from the only game I played that night because the machine was packed the entire time.

I had fun. It's a bit multiball heavy, honestly. Into the Fire was way cool.

High ScoreHigh ScoreWoo!Woo!

#366 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Here is the news flash - it isn't for everyone. Some will not like it...

If people don't like it, it's because haven't played it enough, or dialed it in, or played it in the home; it's as simple as that.
    -Pinside

#367 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If people don't like it, it's because haven't played it enough, or dialed it in, or played it in the home; it's as simple as that.
    -Pinside

LOL, that's what I am sayin'

#368 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I have no problem with people not liking a game I think is good. There are games I really dislike that the majority think are great.
    Difference is, I may share that opinion once or twice but then try to refrain from going into threads where the game is being discussed to tell everyone how much I dislike it. Especially when the thread is mostly filled with people who like the game.
    Whenever I see people who closely follow a game they dislike just to disparage it I wonder what's up with them.

I find this post amusing because I was accused of being a fanboy when WOZ came out. So it's lose/lose, especially with JJP. Love the game and you're a fanboy. Dislike the game and you're "stalking" the threads.

In case you forgot, this is a JJP #3 thread, which I'm interested in, but the Hobbit fans all started acting like there's something wrong with people that don't like it (including you) and that's where I step in. We've all got opinions, and I don't disrespect anybody else's, and there's certainly nothing "up with" me because I add my two cents.

RobT even commented recently that I don't shit on Hobbit threads, and he knows I had it on order twice and cancelled it.

So...you know...you're wrong here. You can apologize anytime you're ready.

Oh! And PS - didn't you notice that I wasn't entirely disparaging about TH? I did say it's a beauty... That's not exactly a disparaging remark.

#369 7 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Soooo.... When is JJP going to reveal pin #3?

Whaaaaaa.... Original thread topic?! Blasphemy I say!

#370 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

The Hobbit is beautiful but lacks interesting shots. I can only imagine how much better it would have been if the shots were as exciting as the code. JJP#3 and JJP#4 will learn from these mistakes.

I find it hard to believe that The Hobbit can teach Lawlor anything he doesn't already know.

Quoted from rosh:

Some games can be fun just given the layouts without knowing the rules (e.g. many fan games)

???

I would say the opposite is true; a kick-ass ruleset is the only thing that can save a fan layout.

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Whatever the JJP3 theme is, I hope the game itself isn't so absurdly opaque that it's impossible to learn how to play on location without spending 500 dollars.

Are jpp games for location? I doubt it.

First price is too high to profitable it imo

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Are jpp games for location? I doubt it.

Yes. And when WOZ started bill validators were given to those going on location. To encourage operating them.

LTG : )

#373 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

This made me LOL. It is comical how you almost need an instruction card on how to best enjoy The Hobbit. Pinball should be immediately gratifying and not require a ton of conditions to be ideal in order to enjoy the game. Personally I think the The Hobbit is beautiful but lacks interesting shots. I can only imagine how much better it would have been if the shots were as exciting as the code. JJP#3 and JJP#4 will learn from these mistakes. My two cents.

Hi, Ladyslingshot.

#374 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, I have spoken with everyone who has played the hobbit.
    The only people who are in love with it are those who own one or who are selling one.

You forgot to survey me levi. I don't own it and I am a big fan. Still learning stuff, but so far I think it is way better than woz and enjoying playing it when i get a chance.

#375 7 years ago

The idea of JJP #3 with PL is super exciting to me. If they manage to get it out the door within 6 weeks of announcement that would be the ideal scenario. I also like how Jack is proactively addressing issues with the previous games and is communicating well. That's refreshing compared to what we are seeing out of Stern currently. Hobbit is more interesting to me now than the first time a played it a few months ago. Can't say that I am at the point where I will make room for one yet.

#376 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Except my wife. But she's more like WOZ: Beautiful AND awesome.

Widebody?

#377 7 years ago

Nope. She's a skinny-miny.

#378 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I would say the opposite is true; a kick-ass ruleset is the only thing that can save a fan layout.

You're right, poor example, only true for a novice.

#379 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You forgot to survey me levi.

I'm pretty sure he didn't "forget."

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I will say that every time Smaug says "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears" (or whatever) I wanted to kill myself.

I have not heard that in the 10 times i got Smaug Multiball so i guess you were playing a game with old code. I think he says one of those two and some other stuff but its not repetative like the game i played at shows.

I think TSPP sucks balls so to each his own but i can also say when i played the Hobbit at Allentown this year i was concerned i would hate it but when i got it the game felt 100% opposite.. pretty clear what you need to do and when and also very diverse with many goals you can go for that makes every game different. Shot selection is awesome despite what it looks like at first glance.

#381 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I will say that every time Smaug says "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears" (or whatever) I wanted to kill myself.

I don't think Smaug says that as often anymore. My understanding is that they are going to put more Smaug dialog in the game.

You do realize that people say stuff like that about the WOZ music driving them nuts. I am surprised to see you comment about JJP sounds...being such a huge WOZ fan (like me)

EDIT: Nevermind, you do seem to dislike hobbit quite a bit (but you say at least it looks good)

#382 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've even played it recently. It's really just a matter of taste, and I'm surprised the people that are excited about their Hobbit don't see that. I love the theme but the game does nothing for me. I really can't explain it beyond that. I will say that every time Smaug says "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears" (or whatever) I wanted to kill myself.
    I love GOT, some people hate it. Some people love TZ, I hate it. It's not a big deal to differ on opinion, and I respect the people that love this game. I look forward to JJP #3 because I still think they make the most beautiful games out there.

Actually, I'm not trying to convince anyone to like or dislike it. I simply said don't form your opinion on a game with limited code/sound/callouts and with a 4% pitch. I would say that about any title, but Stern/Heighway doesn't show their games until they are much further along.

I can say with certainty that the game is not floaty, slow or have a lack of things to shoot at. It's a keeper for me and I feel like it's one of the best titles made to date.

#383 7 years ago

I love JJP threads, the fanboys are good for some entertaining reading, by the way I find TH to be slow and floaty, go.

#384 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I love JJP threads, the fanboys are good for some entertaining reading, by the way I find TH to be slow and floaty, go.

You have to own it to understand and enjoy it.
    And after a few hour long games, the quest for perfection will be realized (And operators will probably pull it from their locations).

#386 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

I have not heard that in the 10 times i got Smaug Multiball so i guess you were playing a game with old code.

Last time I played it was at Pintastic last month. Early in the morning before the hall opened, so I could experience it in more of a faux-HUO environment.

Quoted from Goronic:

EDIT: Nevermind, you do seem to dislike hobbit quite a bit (but you say at least it looks good)

Looks good and sounds great. The physical gameplay just seems half developed. After having the munchkin huts on WOZ, would it have been too much to ask to have a little hobbit house just in front of the pops? I'm betting there were plans to have one there before the budget started getting cut. Of course, I wouldn't want JJP to go out of business to make that happen because I AM a huge fan.

Quoted from Damonator:

I can say with certainty that the game is not floaty, slow or have a lack of things to shoot at. It's a keeper for me and I feel like it's one of the best titles made to date.

If you play it right after playing some of the modern Sterns, you see how floaty it is. It's an open playfield widebody, so that really lends a lot to the floaty feel.

#387 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

If you mean the stern fanboys and JJP haters, then yeah, they do seem to

I don't think anyone who here who has stated their like for JJP games has sounded like a fanboy to me.

Myself for instance, my next new game while leaning towards JJP may very well be a Stern. If there weren't current playfield issues, might have already bought it.

#388 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

If you mean the stern fanboys and JJP haters, then yeah, they do seem to
    I don't think anyone who here who has stated their like for JJP games has sounded like a fanboy to me.
    Myself for instance, my next new game while leaning towards JJP may very well be a Stern. If there weren't current playfield issues, might have already bought it.

Thanks but they are fan boys, thats ok I didn't mean that in a bad way, I'm a Gottlieb System 80 fanboy.

#389 7 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

You have to own it to understand and enjoy it.
    And after a few hour long games, the quest for perfection will be realized (And operators will probably pull it from their locations).

I think it will do very well on location. My WOZ has been my top earning pin on location by a good margin (against B/W Stern). Hobbit is going in probably next March and I think it will do as well or better. Most location players are not very good so very few will have long games like that.

#390 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I sometimes have a hard time enjoying games on location. The sound is such a huge part of the game for me. Call outs, music. What I've heard of the hobbit music is incredible, but you would have no idea in a crowded bar or next to another cranked row of machines.

#391 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I sometimes have a hard time enjoying games on location. The sound is such a huge part of the game for me. Call outs, music. What I've heard of the hobbit music is incredible, but you would have no idea in a crowded bar or next to another cranked row of machines.

Funny you mention volume. I never used the headphone jack on WOZ but people on location have really taken to it and use it all the time. The bar has a pair of headphones they will loan out to people if they ask.

#392 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...you know...you're wrong here. You can apologize anytime you're ready.

My memory must have been playing tricks on me. Revisited some of the other Hobbit threads and no stalking involved just well stated opinions.

Apologies Beelzeboob.

#393 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

My memory must have been playing tricks on me. Revisited some of the other Hobbit threads and no stalking involved just well stated opinions.
    Apologies Beezeboob.

Wow. I can't believe you did that. You do know you're on Pinside, right? That, like, never happens...

+1000. Thanks, buddy.

#394 7 years ago

cff_(resized).jpgcff_(resized).jpg

#395 7 years ago

Do we know If JPP#3 will work with preorders?
    Thanks

#396 7 years ago

JJP has stated several times that there will be no pre-orders. Their goal seems to be to release the game when ready to ship.

#397 7 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if JJP goes with a deposit method, something like $1000 or $1500. Of course, no up-front monies is the best for customers, but a *smallish* deposit seems to be a reasonable compromise.

#398 7 years ago

How long ago was the announcement for the announcement for game three?

#399 7 years ago
    Quoted from dtowndobe:

I wouldn't be surprised if JJP goes with a deposit method, something like $1000 or $1500. Of course, no up-front monies is the best for customers, but a *smallish* deposit seems to be a reasonable compromise.

I could see a small deposit as I doubt they will have the assembly line ramped up when the game gets announced so back orders seem likely. But my guess would be that those deposits won't be taken until production starts.

#400 7 years ago

All I can say is that JJP#3 better rock my world or I am getting a WOZ. WOZ is really really good

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-when-the-reveal-game-3/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.