Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jjp#3 (resized).jpg
    cff_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
    Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    quote-if-you-ve-got-them-by-the-balls-their-hearts-and-minds-will-follow-john-wayne-194395_(resized).jpg
    images_(1)_(resized).jpg
    DSC_1342_(resized).JPG
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    stranger_(resized).jpg
    tin-can-telephone_(resized).jpg
    http__mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_03_motorola-dynatac-8000x1_(resized).jpg
    princess_bride_(resized).jpg
    Backglass_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The real question is: "How soon will it be released after it's announced?"
    Summer 2017?
    Fall 2018?

I think with how fast they are producing Hobbits so far, that sometime in Spring/Summer of 2017 is very doable.

2 weeks later
    #327 7 years ago

Anyone calling the Hobbit a snooze probably hasn't put enough time in the game to fully understand the rules and different ways to play the game. I've played close to 500 games on mine and am still learning all of the ins and outs of the game. There are many pinball machines where you can shoot one shot a certain number of times to start a multiball or modes. In the Hobbit, you have to shoot every shot in the game to progress towards multiballs, completing modes, and getting to mini wizard modes.

If you're a player who flails away or doesn't ever stop the ball, this game will consistently kick your butt. Then excuses are made like there is nothing to shoot for, the flippers are too weak, and there are too many half ramp rejects. However, if you play under controlled, the shots are easier to hit and the game comes together quite nicely.

#339 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Whatever the JJP3 theme is, I hope the game itself isn't so absurdly opaque that it's impossible to learn how to play on location without spending 500 dollars.

I'm not saying it took me 500 games to learn the rules. The rules are actually quite easy and the display tells you everything you need to know. But it has taken me time to figure out exactly what I want to stack. When you have 31 modes, it is hard to initially know where each mode is located on the hexagon. Certain modes stack well with multiballs, while others are great for single ball play. Being able to change mode via the left ramp helps me choose certain modes and specific points in the game.

#345 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

This feels like WAY TOO much work for pinball enjoyment. Memorizing 31 modes and their "stack-a-bility"? I can't. Do. That. Ever.

To each their own I want to be ready to get to the final wizard mode when new code is released. Plus I'll know it for tournament play in case certain scenarios come up with I need X number of points. In a home environment, I would much rather have a one hour game than a 5-10 minute game. I will say though with the current state of this game, it isn't great for location play. So I can understand where the negative criticism might be coming from.

#349 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On GOOD games, this stuff just sinks in. I never read instruction cards back in the day - ever - and it didn't matter. Stackability and the best way to do things would present themselves. Code is much deeper now, but on the fun games it STILL doesn't matter. I learned all of the rules on Thrones and the best way for me to approach the game because I played it. A lot. Because it was fun.
    Not every game has that quality.

I assume you have the seven GOT modes memorized by now. That was like passing first grade. Maybe took 5 games to figure out what to stack. With 31 modes, it takes some more time to A) play them all and B) execute the shots while playing the modes. So it has sunk in quite nicely, but has just taken a little bit more time.

#351 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The issue with the Hobbit isn't that people have differing opinions.
    It's the the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

Honestly, I think this is a game where the difference in home environment vs. location environment is huge. Simple as that.

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know man. For good players, there really isn't that much difference between home and location providing you have a good location that takes care of their games. Some of us spend a LOT of our time out there playing the games.

I do as well, just don't make many tournaments. And my experience with location vs. home environment is much different than yours I guess. Seems like anywhere I try going, the games just don't play as well. WOZ and Hobbit were probably the biggest difference I noticed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-when-the-reveal-game-3?tu=pinballer0415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.