3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jjp#3 (resized).jpg
    cff_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
    Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    quote-if-you-ve-got-them-by-the-balls-their-hearts-and-minds-will-follow-john-wayne-194395_(resized).jpg
    images_(1)_(resized).jpg
    DSC_1342_(resized).JPG
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    stranger_(resized).jpg
    tin-can-telephone_(resized).jpg
    http__mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_03_motorola-dynatac-8000x1_(resized).jpg
    princess_bride_(resized).jpg
    Backglass_(resized).jpg

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 3 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Why are people cancelling GB? I thought that was a hot title?

Major playfield issues...

#302 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PLD don't do confusing 3rd flippers.

He does do useless fourth flippers though.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Major rail-matching issues too from what I've heard and seen.

#304 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

and GB game play is not all that great ... at least when compared to TH close to the same price. GB is a "different" type of game, but not worth that price. IMO

#305 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

and GB game play is not all that great ... at least when compared to TH close to the same price. GB is a "different" type of game, but not worth that price. IMO

What else would you expect Gandalf to say?!

#306 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

He does do useless fourth flippers though.

Name one.

#307 3 years ago

He's probably talking about Monopoly...but that spinning flipper is a bitch, it's a good randomizer also to add difficulty for shots to the right ramp.

#308 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

He's probably talking about Monopoly...but that spinning flipper is a bitch, it's a good randomizer also to add difficulty for shots to the right ramp.

Yeah that thing is kind of stupid. It's not really a flipper though.

#309 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

It's unfortunate too since it's certainly a great looking game other than the hokey slimer pinata in my opinion. I was tempted until I played it and then saw what has been happening with the PF. I do really like spider man VE though, but I hear it has some of the same playfield issues.

At this point I'm holding off on anything until JJP #3 comes out. My Mirco playfield in WOZ looks amazing and is holding up well. I have not heard any complaints about Hobbits playfield. I have 100% confidence that this next game will be at the same caliber of quality.

Whether or not the theme will speak to me remains to be seen, but I have high hopes and cannot wait to play it. Then I will have to decide whether WOZ gets a JJP buddy.

#310 3 years ago

Addams. I know the left upper flipper has a shot but most experienced players know that it's too dangerous to go for that shot considering how little the shot is worth. If it was gone, I don't think anyone would know the difference. Most players just use it to guide the ball to the lower left flipper.

#311 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Please....Hobbit is a glossy snooze fest.

#312 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Addams. I know the left upper flipper has a shot but most experienced players know that it's too dangerous to go for that shot considering how little the shot is worth. If it was gone, I don't think anyone would know the difference. Most players just use it to guide the ball to the lower left flipper.

super disagree.

The thing flipper does lots!

1. Cool thing trick to make swamp
    2. Swamp is worth shooting for when valued high enough
    3. Divert ball to lower flipper for control depending on specific game.
    4. MOST important! Learn how to use this to combo to the upper right for a jackpot shot during multiball!

#313 3 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

I want what you are smoking.

#314 3 years ago
    Quoted from Air_Pinball:

A dream, not a nightmare like GB ... just sayin.

#315 3 years ago

The Hobbit makes you feel like when you were young and you had a crush on the most beautiful girl you ever saw. Then you went on a date with her, and when she started to talk...

Date over.

#316 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Hobbit makes you feel like when you were young and you had a crush on the most beautiful girl you ever saw. Then you went on a date with her, and when she started to talk...
    Date over.

That's good.

#317 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

super disagree.
    The thing flipper does lots!
    1. Cool thing trick to make swamp
    2. Swamp is worth shooting for when valued high enough
    3. Divert ball to lower flipper for control depending on specific game.
    4. MOST important! Learn how to use this to combo to the upper right for a jackpot shot during multiball!

lol I read this in a whiny teenager voice.

Like I said there is a shot for the flipper but it's never worth enough to actually take the risk. That combo trick is another shot too dangerous to try. I mentioned number 3 as well but if you're using a flipper as a lane guide, you're using it wrong. Thing shot is cool but after seeing it once or twice it's nothing special and sometimes it can miss. Nothing more frustrating than draining and it wasn't the player's fault.

#318 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I want what you are smoking.

Camel Lights

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Date over.

Damn that is spot on

Good from afar but far from good

#320 3 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Damn that is spot on
    Good from afar but far from good

I really don't know what the hell you guys are talking about...I guess it just boils down to what one person likes another person hates. It is the only way your thoughts make any sense to me.

Is it the best pinball machine ever, probably not. Far from good!? This is bush league psyche-out stuff!

Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg

#321 3 years ago

Take some time to understand the game and Hobbit is great... Still not for me but I would never call it a bad game or a snooze. Yeah first 5-10 plays I was like... Whatever... Then once I learned how to actually select and start the modes I had qualified for (yeah duh... i was an idiot, but it wasn't obious for me).. the game really came alive.

#322 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I use it all the time (I like going for the swamp - so sue me) and THING flips is a great feature and one of the game's trademarks. And also "using it to guide the ball to the lower flipper" is a thing you can do with a flipper and something skilled players like to do.

Not useless. At all. You obviously don't have a use for it but to argue vehemently that it serves no purpose serves no purpose except to be contrarian.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I use it all the time (I like going for the swamp - so sue me) and THING flips is a great feature and one of the game's trademarks. And also "using it to guide the ball to the lower flipper" is a thing you can do with a flipper and something skilled players like to do.
    Not useless. At all. You obviously don't have a use for it but to argue vehemently that it serves no purpose serves no purpose except to be contrarian.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be vehemently.

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

lol I read this in a whiny teenager voice.
    Like I said there is a shot for the flipper but it's never worth enough to actually take the risk. That combo trick is another shot too dangerous to try. I mentioned number 3 as well but if you're using a flipper as a lane guide, you're using it wrong. Thing shot is cool but after seeing it once or twice it's nothing special and sometimes it can miss. Nothing more frustrating than draining and it wasn't the player's fault.

funny, I read your posts like a person that does not play much pinball and has sadly never gone deep enough into playing a game to fully understand the intricacies of a well designed game where every inch of the flow, geometry, and feeds were well thought out and implemented.

#325 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Take some time to understand the game and Hobbit is great... Still not for me but I would never call it a bad game or a snooze. Yeah first 5-10 plays I was like... Whatever... Then once I learned how to actually select and start the modes I had qualified for (yeah duh... i was an idiot, but it wasn't obious for me).. the game really came alive.

I have heard this again and again from really good sources. It seems to me that in order to really appreciate this game, you can't play it 3 to 4 times at expo. I am just as guilty from this. Personally I am a more toy/start-stop kind of pinball buyer. So games like TZ, CV, and WoZ appeal to me. TH is different, but VERY deep. It also is getting deeper w/each software rev.

I just sold my IJ. We were talking about how good it looks. Probably one of the best ever made. I would have to say though that TH is in the top five as well. They really did an awesome job with the colors and the improved playfield. I plan on playing the TH much more this coming year. Who knows, might be purchasing one down the road!

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

funny, I read your posts like a person that does not play much pinball and has sadly never gone deep enough into playing a game to fully understand the intricacies of a well designed game where every inch of the flow, geometry, and feeds were well thought out and implemented.

I didn't mean to offend. It was just your first two sentences and the words super and lots. It just sounded funny when I read it.

#327 3 years ago

Anyone calling the Hobbit a snooze probably hasn't put enough time in the game to fully understand the rules and different ways to play the game. I've played close to 500 games on mine and am still learning all of the ins and outs of the game. There are many pinball machines where you can shoot one shot a certain number of times to start a multiball or modes. In the Hobbit, you have to shoot every shot in the game to progress towards multiballs, completing modes, and getting to mini wizard modes.

If you're a player who flails away or doesn't ever stop the ball, this game will consistently kick your butt. Then excuses are made like there is nothing to shoot for, the flippers are too weak, and there are too many half ramp rejects. However, if you play under controlled, the shots are easier to hit and the game comes together quite nicely.

#328 3 years ago

Whatever the JJP3 theme is, I hope the game itself isn't so absurdly opaque that it's impossible to learn how to play on location without spending 500 dollars.

#329 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Date over.

Hmmm. Could also be the girl you never got to know who actually has depth and a lot to offer but you pass on her for a girl who seems more exciting initially only to find out after a few dates she doesn't offer much and hasn't grown as a person.

#330 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hmmm. Could also be the girl you never got to know who actually has depth and a lot to offer but you pass on her for a girl who seems more exciting initially only to find out after a few dates she doesn't offer much and hasn't grown as a person.

Nope...never met anyone like that. They all usually turned out to be vapid and obtuse.

Except my wife. But she's more like WOZ: Beautiful AND awesome.

#331 3 years ago

A JJP Lawlor will look nice sitting next to my TZ and TAF

#332 3 years ago

You shouldn't form your opinion on Hobbit based upon playing it at an Expo. Honestly, the software was *maybe* 20% complete at the shows. I understand why Jack did it, but it did almost as much harm as good.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try with the latest code, with everything fully working and you can hear the game. It's literally a night and day difference now.

#333 3 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

You shouldn't form your opinion on Hobbit based upon playing it at an Expo. Honestly, the software was *maybe* 20% complete at the shows. I understand why Jack did it, but it did almost as much harm as good.
    Do yourself a favor and give it a try with the latest code, with everything fully working and you can hear the game. It's literally a night and day difference now.

I've even played it recently. It's really just a matter of taste, and I'm surprised the people that are excited about their Hobbit don't see that. I love the theme but the game does nothing for me. I really can't explain it beyond that. I will say that every time Smaug says "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears" (or whatever) I wanted to kill myself.

I love GOT, some people hate it. Some people love TZ, I hate it. It's not a big deal to differ on opinion, and I respect the people that love this game. I look forward to JJP #3 because I still think they make the most beautiful games out there.

#334 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've even played it recently. It's really just a matter of taste, and I'm surprised the people that are excited about their Hobbit don't see that. I love the theme but the game does nothing for me. I really can't explain it beyond that. I will say that every time Smaug says "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears" (or whatever) I wanted to kill myself.
    I love GOT, some people hate it. Some people love TZ, I hate it. It's not a big deal to differ on opinion, and I respect the people that love this game. I look forward to JJP #3 because I still think they make the most beautiful games out there.

Agreed. People keep assuming those of us that don't care for the game haven't played it with the latest code. I've never criticized the code. I think the game is slow and boring, with little on the playfield to keep my attention.

I will always keep my eye on JJP, because the make beautiful games. I'm sure one will come along that will blow me away.

#335 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've even played it recently. It's really just a matter of taste, and I'm surprised the people that are excited about their Hobbit don't see that.

When somebody spends $9,000 on a game and waits several years for it, there simply isn't room for that kind of perspective.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When somebody spends $9,000 on a game and waits several years for it, there simply isn't room for that kind of perspective.

Yep, why not just be happy with ur purchase instead of trying to convert those of us who dislike the game, it looks great but I don't enjoy the game play at all and no amount of code will fix that, code can make a good shooting game better but its not going to save TH for me, I'm very glad that so many people who own the game love it but why do care if anyone else does? I guess no one wants to hear that their 9K toy isn't as popular as it should be, I was in on TH till I played it, you know TWD and ST so many games are met with disdain for game play or appearance and that's fine, JJP guys really need to let it go, it is entertaining though.

#337 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yep, why not just be happy with ur purchase instead of trying to convert those of us who dislike the game, it looks great but I don't enjoy the game play at all and no amount of code will fix that, code can make a good shooting game better but its not going to save TH for me, I'm very glad that so many people who own the game love it but why do care if anyone does? I guess no one wants to hear that their 9K toy isn't as popular as it should be, I was in on TH till I played it, you know TWD and ST so many games are met with disdain for game play or appearance and that's fine, JJP guys really need to let it go, it is entertaining though.

My favorite is when someone starts a post with "X...we know you HATE the Hobbit, but...."

#338 3 years ago

CrazyLevi, we know you hate the hobbit, but ... you need to play the hobbit with:

1. A properly set up pitch (exactly 6.5 to 7.5 range)

2. In a controlled sound room with the exact sound settings (to avoid clipping, yet fully enjoy the audio)

3. Complete and total understanding of all the complex modes, locks, and ring functionality.

4. Appreciation for a fan layout on a pinball machine with heavy drop target usage

5. Love and appreciation of a LCD screen with enough instrumentation to make NASA engineers heads spin.

6. Tolkien and/or Peter Jackson film fan - to a fault

Then, and only then, can you appreciate that the machine is not floaty, slow, or boring.

#339 3 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Whatever the JJP3 theme is, I hope the game itself isn't so absurdly opaque that it's impossible to learn how to play on location without spending 500 dollars.

I'm not saying it took me 500 games to learn the rules. The rules are actually quite easy and the display tells you everything you need to know. But it has taken me time to figure out exactly what I want to stack. When you have 31 modes, it is hard to initially know where each mode is located on the hexagon. Certain modes stack well with multiballs, while others are great for single ball play. Being able to change mode via the left ramp helps me choose certain modes and specific points in the game.

#340 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

CrazyLevi, we know you hate the hobbit, but ... you need to play the hobbit with:
    2. In a controlled sound room with the exact sound settings (to avoid clipping, yet fully enjoy the audio)
    3. Complete and total understanding of all the complex modes, locks, and ring functionality.
    4. Appreciation for a fan layout on a pinball machine with heavy drop target usage
    5. Love and appreciation of a LCD screen with enough instrumentation to make NASA engineers heads spin.
    Then, and only then, can you appreciate that the machine is not floaty, slow, or boring.

I never want to work that hard to enjoy a game, nor should I have to.

#341 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Nah. I don't really care for the layout. I've spent at least 5 hours on the machine (old code), I'll pass on playing it again unless I run into it in a tournament.

#342 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

1. A properly set up pitch
    2. In a controlled sound room with the exact sound settings
    6. Tolkien fan - to a fault

This made me LOL. It is comical how you almost need an instruction card on how to best enjoy The Hobbit. Pinball should be immediately gratifying and not require a ton of conditions to be ideal in order to enjoy the game. Personally I think the The Hobbit is beautiful but lacks interesting shots. I can only imagine how much better it would have been if the shots were as exciting as the code. JJP#3 and JJP#4 will learn from these mistakes. My two cents.

#343 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer0415:

I'm not saying it took me 500 games to learn the rules. The rules are actually quite easy and the display tells you everything you need to know. But it has taken me time to figure out exactly what I want to stack. When you have 31 modes, it is hard to initially know where each mode is located on the hexagon. Certain modes stack well with multiballs, while others are great for single ball play. Being able to change mode via the left ramp helps me choose certain modes and specific points in the game.

This feels like WAY TOO much work for pinball enjoyment. Memorizing 31 modes and their "stack-a-bility"? I can't. Do. That. Ever.

#344 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

This feels like WAY TOO much work for pinball enjoyment. Memorizing 31 modes and their "stack-a-bility"? I can't. Do. That. Ever.

On GOOD games, this stuff just sinks in. I never read instruction cards back in the day - ever - and it didn't matter. Stackability and the best way to do things would present themselves. Code is much deeper now, but on the fun games it STILL doesn't matter. I learned all of the rules on Thrones and the best way for me to approach the game because I played it. A lot. Because it was fun.

Not every game has that quality.

#345 3 years ago
    Quoted from NeoGeo:

To each their own I want to be ready to get to the final wizard mode when new code is released. Plus I'll know it for tournament play in case certain scenarios come up with I need X number of points. In a home environment, I would much rather have a one hour game than a 5-10 minute game. I will say though with the current state of this game, it isn't great for location play. So I can understand where the negative criticism might be coming from.

#346 3 years ago

The Hobbit reminded me of Space invaders, a big wide open PF with the ball floating around and nothing to shoot at.

#347 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's really just a matter of taste, and I'm surprised the people that are excited about their Hobbit don't see that.

I have no problem with people not liking a game I think is good. There are games I really dislike that the majority think are great.

Difference is, I may share that opinion once or twice but then try to refrain from going into threads where the game is being discussed to tell everyone how much I dislike it. Especially when the thread is mostly filled with people who like the game.

Whenever I see people who closely follow a game they dislike just to disparage it I wonder what's up with them.

#348 3 years ago

The issue with the Hobbit isn't that people have differing opinions.

It's that the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

#349 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On GOOD games, this stuff just sinks in. I never read instruction cards back in the day - ever - and it didn't matter. Stackability and the best way to do things would present themselves. Code is much deeper now, but on the fun games it STILL doesn't matter. I learned all of the rules on Thrones and the best way for me to approach the game because I played it. A lot. Because it was fun.
    Not every game has that quality.

I assume you have the seven GOT modes memorized by now. That was like passing first grade. Maybe took 5 games to figure out what to stack. With 31 modes, it takes some more time to A) play them all and B) execute the shots while playing the modes. So it has sunk in quite nicely, but has just taken a little bit more time.

#350 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The issue with the Hobbit isn't that people have differing opinions.
    It's the the ONLY people who seem to be in love with it are those who have bought it. That's a pretty unique phenomenon in this hobby.

I had nothing but good things to say about WOZ till I sold it because I hated playing the game. I didn't want to admit to myself that I paid $7000 and waited 3 years for a game that I couldn't stand playing. Then the ink started chipping of the PF and Jack sent me a trash PF and shit started breaking one after the other .....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 75.00
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside