3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jjp#3 (resized).jpg
    cff_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
    Laughable-Man_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    quote-if-you-ve-got-them-by-the-balls-their-hearts-and-minds-will-follow-john-wayne-194395_(resized).jpg
    images_(1)_(resized).jpg
    DSC_1342_(resized).JPG
    images_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    stranger_(resized).jpg
    tin-can-telephone_(resized).jpg
    http__mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2014_03_motorola-dynatac-8000x1_(resized).jpg
    princess_bride_(resized).jpg
    Backglass_(resized).jpg

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The reveal won't happen at Expo. It won't happen this year.

I'm not sure about Expo, but I think we'll see it before the end of the year.

LTG : )

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm not sure about Expo, but I think we'll see it before the end of the year.

Well, I'm not betting you!

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's just human nature that many potential Hobbit buyers would keep their wallet in their pants with the reveal. Not everybody can afford to buy two $8500 pinball machines.

I agree that it would affect Hobbit sales but I don't think it would bother JJP because they are still getting that buyers single purchase.

Let's say someone was on the fence between the Hobbit and GB, but may buy Pat's game once revealed. Seems better to reveal the game and get a sale (or the buyer holds their money until the game is available) than to have them give their money to a competitor.

#254 3 years ago

Now would be a excellent time for jjp to strike with so many canceling gb

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Still waiting to see a pic of how you incorporated that Smaug bust you bought with your pin. Topper?

I decided to just display it on a pedestal and go without a topper (for now)

EDIT: I uploaded a video a few months back of the bust - it is really nice!

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:Spoke to Jack a few months ago about TH, and he said that he thinks that WOZ and TH are great - and he is proud of them, but he is really excited about Pat's game.
    To me that says a lot.

Seriously? Jack is a sales guy through and through, whatever they are working on it always going to be the greatest pinball machine ever.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Jack said that Pat's game will be shown "before the end of the year".

While Jack has not given any hard dates on this third game, JJP has missed many of the timeframes like this he has put out there. Bottom line, any date regarding anything associated with JJP should never been taken seriously. The fact things are different on game three, could well be tied to the fact that Jack is not really running the company anymore. Do I think there is a chance we see something at expo, sure, would I put any none on it, no way. Of course, since he constantly throws out timeframes, at some point it will happen and someone jump in to say say "see, he said it would be by X and its as"

Given that TH code was not done when shipped (and still not?), hard to see how this third game's code could be anywhere close to being done (even if they have added developers), at least not if this is going to be the greatest pinball machine ever!

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:It's just human nature that many potential Hobbit buyers would keep their wallet in their pants with the reveal. Not everybody can afford to buy two $8500 pinball machines.

No, that's why we sell off a Stern or two in order to buy both! But I'm sure there are quite a few people holding their money now waiting on JJP#3. It won't appeal to everyone, so that will actually drive new Hobbit sales. There are others that are watching Hobbit to see how the code progresses and will be buyers at a later date.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's why Stern staggers their release announcements. It's not rocket science. this is how pinball companies have always operated, at least this century.

...and since Hobbit has been in production since Feb, I would say JJP is also staggering their announcements.

Seriously, why would JJP want to wait for Alien/Spooky#3/Star Wars before they announce JJP#3? Those are going to naturally affect Hobbit sales too right? I'm sure Jack would rather sell a JJP#3 over losing money to a competitor...even if it did cost him a Hobbit sale.

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

...and since Hobbit has been in production since Feb, I would say JJP is also staggering their announcements.
    Seriously, why would JJP want to wait for Alien/Spooky#3/Star Wars before they announce JJP#3? Those are going to naturally affect Hobbit sales too right? I'm sure Jack would rather sell a JJP#3 over losing money to a competitor...even if it did cost him a Hobbit sale.

Staggering announcements is relative - when you put out 4 games a year like stern, that's 4 announcements a year. When you put out 1 game every 3 years like JJP...well you get my gist.

You do make a point about not losing sales to competitors. But that would mean JJP would need to be ready to go, or ready to go enough that people are willing to (gasp!) pre order and pre-pay. Everybody knows that the Stern game is gonna show up in their home within a month or two of the announcement. JJP it could be years, if they aren't selling a finished product. If they don't have a game ready to sell and ship, they are still going to be losing these hypothetical sales to competitors who are selling actual pinball games, not spots on a list.

I think it comes down to if the game is really ready to go, but given their track record...

#260 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Staggering announcements is relative - when you put out 4 games a year like stern, that's 4 announcements a year.

I say this as somebody who gets really excited by Stern announcements, but is able to look at the big picture:

With everything going on with them QC-wise, they might want to consider cutting back to 2-3 announcements a year, and taking the time to make sure they've got everything right. They're going through now what JJP went through with WOZ, and it sucks for any company. Less quantity, more quality, IMO.

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Seriously? Jack is a sales guy through and through, whatever they are working on it always going to be the greatest pinball machine ever.

Frankly I consider WOZ and TH both one of the greatest pinball machines ever made. So I can see where he thinks that to be honest.

I'll go one step further - If I could trade my Hobbit for any pinball machine at all I would keep the hobbit.

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Frankly I consider WOZ and TH both one of the greatest pinball machines ever made. So I can see where he thinks that to be honest.

That's nice and all but Jack was FAMOUS for doing the "best pin ever!!!" routine on every soon-to-be-released title - EVER - when he was a Stern distributor. Didn't matter what poop was rolling off the line. It was a running joke on RGP because guys who bought every pin (D-man!) were always telling us how they were convinced to buy because Jack said 24 or WOF were going to be the best games ever to come down the pike.

I don't disparage it all, he's a salesman, that's his job. But...grain of salt people.

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's nice and all but Jack was FAMOUS for doing the "best pin ever!!!" routine on every soon-to-be-released title - EVER - when he was a Stern distributor. Didn't matter what poop was rolling off the line. It was a running joke on RGP because guys who bought every pin (D-man!) were always telling us how they were convinced to buy because Jack said 24 or WOF were going to be the best games ever to come down the pike.
    I don't disparage it all, he's a salesman, that's his job. But...grain of salt people.

I guess a broken clock is right twice a day

#264 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody knows that the Stern game is gonna show up in their home within a month or two of the announcement.

We were almost seeing eye to eye until you said this!

I paid in full for my GBLE on 3/9/2016. I haven't even gotten the ship notification yet - and today is exactly the *5* month mark!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's nice and all but Jack was FAMOUS for doing the "best pin ever!!!" routine

I've heard Jack say many times that he always wants to produce a better game than his last one - so, technically he does want his latest game to the the best one ever. Jack catches a lot of crap and a lot of it is deserved - his people skills are sometimes lacking...his business skills are sometimes lacking, etc. But I honestly do believe he wants to make the best pinball machines possible. And I think Heighway wants the same. I sometimes feel that Stern only changes due to the competition from JJP/Heighway/Spooky.

And I agree with Goronic:

Quoted from Goronic:

I'll go one step further - If I could trade my Hobbit for any pinball machine at all I would keep the hobbit.

(although Alien might change my mind at some point)

#265 3 years ago

Hey, WOF is fun.

#266 3 years ago

Some good points here, it's going to be interesting to see how Alien affects JJP and Stern sales. Alien has the potential to do really well: popular licensed theme, layout looks good, the art is neutral to good, music and sound effects seems to be outstanding, price point compares favourably to new machines from other companies and it has some differentiating features (gamechange system, scary theme, etc.)

#267 3 years ago

Smaug needs a refill. His glass is empty... guess he's been waiting awhile.

Quoted from Goronic:

I decided to just display it on a pedestal and go without a topper (for now)
    EDIT: I uploaded a video a few months back of the bust - it is really nice!
    ยป YouTube video

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

If I could trade a Hobbit for any pin I would trade for a kingpin...then sell it and get back my hobbit and a few other pins

#269 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I say this as somebody who gets really excited by Stern announcements, but is able to look at the big picture:
    With everything going on with them QC-wise, they might want to consider cutting back to 2-3 announcements a year, and taking the time to make sure they've got everything right. They're going through now what JJP went through with WOZ, and it sucks for any company. Less quantity, more quality, IMO.

Stern didn't expand into a new, larger centre to reduce production.
    Whatever's happening with the play fields is a blip, not a roadblock.
    I'll bet they figure out the issue, correct it, and it's back to business.
    Pinsiders are acting like this is the end of the world and that Stern can't fix the issue.
    Give it a little time and I'm certain these issues will all be history.
    What level of customer satisfaction/error correction is done remains to be seen.

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Just in case you didn't notice: The information you were referring to was posted now, it's being discussed and the thread is still open. To my understanding that is what you wanted, you can join in the wild (and for the most part ridiculous) speculation that's going on now.

Awesome, so it reinforces my point. The world isn't ending with the info being out. Yay we can talk about pinball on a pinball forum. Crazy.

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I can support that thought ... and I did not get my Hobbit yet. Jealous, but patiently waiting my turn in line.

#272 3 years ago

I wish there was more certainty with the #3 game. It'd be fun to look forward to a release date

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

With the killer app taking over (like war games) this would fit into .....kinda sorta natural disasters

I hope it's not the *Global warming issue*

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

It'd be fun to look forward to a release date

I'd like to plan a party.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Stern didn't expand into a new, larger centre to reduce production.
    Whatever's happening with the play fields is a blip, not a roadblock.
    I'll bet they figure out the issue, correct it, and it's back to business.
    Pinsiders are acting like this is the end of the world and that Stern can't fix the issue.
    Give it a little time and I'm certain these issues will all be history.
    What level of customer satisfaction/error correction is done remains to be seen.

I get what you're saying, and you get double extra bonus points for the classy (Canadian) spelling of "centre."

But I have to say that Stern doesn't seem overly concerned with customer satisfaction. I've got a GOTLE that's got a left orbit issue that suddenly became "as designed" and an elevator that doesn't elevate the ball 50% of the time. I bet that's "as designed" as well.

That's bullshit on an $8k game.

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd like to plan a party.

I'm in!

#277 3 years ago

I'm thinking some JJP and PLD autographed stuff for give aways. Some Famous Dave's Ribs.

You still in ?

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm thinking some JJP and PLD autographed stuff for give aways. Some Famous Dave's Ribs.
    You still in ?

Sure ... what's the date so I can put it on my calendar?

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

what's the date so I can put it on my calendar?

The day I set it up here.

#280 3 years ago

Wrong coast for me... I would have to attend in spirit. Concurrent west coast party with live stream between?

#281 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Wrong coast for me... I would have to attend in spirit. Concurrent west coast party with live stream between?

Apparently you can stream right from the pinball machine itself

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Apparently you can stream right from the pinball machine itself

Head to head play... East vs West

#283 3 years ago

I can't seem to find the info that is now publicly available. Can someone post or pm me a link?

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I wish there was more certainty with the #3 game. It'd be fun to look forward to a release date

Oct 14th, 2016; ~8pm

bring cash if you want to take one home on the spot

#285 3 years ago

No love on a link?

#286 3 years ago

Don't think anyone 'bloged' it. Its just been exchanged through PMs etc.

You are not missing out on much - there is nothing to get excited about when someone tries to describe a pin they have never seen.

Magnets, ramps, inserts, something that blocks shots....someone telling you what shots to make....
    I don't think anyone has read it and gotten excited.
    Just wait for the reveal

#287 3 years ago

True - what I remember in the leak before it was removed was a hot mess of a description and didn't help much...

#288 3 years ago

Spoiler alert, it has flippers.

#289 3 years ago

Does it have a 3rd flipper to confuse everyone?

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Does it have a 3rd flipper to confuse everyone?

PLD don't do confusing 3rd flippers.

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

PLD don't do confusing 3rd flippers.

After owning the pin for 3 weeks I can tell you the third flipper is not meaningless. You would be advised to get good at using it.

On many modes you will need to hit Dwarf targets, the left hole (VUK) using the third flipper because Keith will block those shots with the spider pop up. And the Elf targets are hard to hit as well (from any flipper), but if you can improve your third flipper SKILZ you can hit those when needed as well.

Not that the 3rd flipper would help the following but he also make you hit an orbit shot and blocks with spider and warg, and hit ramps he blocks with goblin and orc. I try to use the third flipper to hit the captive ball quickly as well as touch the left spinner for mode completion or erebor advancement.

Not at all useless, and if you don't use it the game will be harder. Just a good game all around and I wouldn't remove the third flipper (so I can see why the didn't)

#292 3 years ago

I've heard some say the third flipper (on main playfield) of WOZ is useless too but I use it all the time. Its of course the easiest shot for the witch but I also find i can typically get a good bouce off the witch and into the VUK for the castle with it. Otherwise I'm not too good at using it to get into the haunted forrest and I find it dangerous to use as a diverter (will go to TNPLH outlane). All in all a great part of the game.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I guess a broken clock is right twice a day

I like that a lot,gotta add this to my vobaculary

#294 3 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I've heard some say the third flipper (on main playfield) of WOZ is useless too but I use it all the time. Its of course the easiest shot for the witch but I also find i can typically get a good bouce off the witch and into the VUK for the castle with it. Otherwise I'm not too good at using it to get into the haunted forrest and I find it dangerous to use as a diverter (will go to TNPLH outlane). All in all a great part of the game.

I also use it to adjust my return to another location on left orbit shots. It's good to be in the game - if other's don't want to use it then don't hit the right flipper button when the ball is at the top right flipper location.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I also use it to adjust my return to another location on left orbit shots. It's good to be in the game - if other's don't want to use it then don't hit the right flipper button when the ball is at the top right flipper location.

I don't really care either way, but clearly on a modern pinball machine with a 3rd flipper, people REALLY expect there to be a specific, go to purpose. A jackpot shot. A ramp. Something important that you can't hit with the bottom flippers.

On Hobbit it was just thrown in there like a 1970s Sonic game. It's hard to dispute that - even the apologists are like "well, use it or don't! It's still cool to have it!"

I'm never gonna own that game so it's not like it matters to me, but it's silly to pretend people don't have a legit reason to be bemused by that thing.

Just like every other PLD game ever made, it'll take about 2 seconds to deduce what any extra flippers are "for" on JJP 3.

#296 3 years ago

Does it count if the required need is software based? I believe you can only melt the witch using the 3rd flipper because of the required route.

#297 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really care either way, but clearly on a modern pinball machine with a 3rd flipper, people REALLY expect there to be a specific, go to purpose. A jackpot shot. A ramp. Something important that you can't hit with the bottom flippers.

I get your point. And I don't necessarily disagree with it. My point would be that it should not be an absolute requirement to have a shot that only that flipper can make to include it or not. I don't know if the hobbit, via software, will hit that requirement or not.

I guess I am saying it is more of a guideline than a rule

#298 3 years ago

I really cannot wait to see this game. I hope like others it will be at the Pinball Expo 2016!!

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Actually I was hoping to bet you. If you win, feel free to do what you want with it.
    Deal?

Ops, didn't see this

Deal!
    I dont have paypal or anything so donation to pinside or charity would be fine.

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flato:

Now would be a excellent time for jjp to strike with so many canceling gb

Why are people cancelling GB? I thought that was a hot title?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.00
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 14.95
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside