PXL_20240402_013903958 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinside_forum_4210998_1179773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6158 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Crash's Thingiverse Pinball Search Links Posted by Crash (3 years ago)

Post #35 Speaker lights for metal back box Stern Posted by Darscot (3 years ago)

Post #119 Pinball Button Remover Posted by Ashram56 (3 years ago)

Post #212 Swinks Shapeways Downloads Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Post #682 Gravestone Cross Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #683 Power Supply Fan Adapter (Modern Stern) Posted by plasticbugs (2 years ago)

Post #1049 Ball holder Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Post #1696 Backbox Light Baffles Posted by John_I (2 years ago)

Post #1721 Spike 2 LED speaker panel Posted by dudah (2 years ago)

Post #1946 Target stabilizers Posted by bigguybbr (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My first 3D model and print for pinball. Speaker lights for metal back box Stern. Came out perfect.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Well done love it.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah I just created a thingiverse account last night and you can't post as a new user for 24 hours. I'll email it to you.

Way cool thing to do! Speaker lights for all.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I doubt "atomic piles for all" would go over as well with you.

Please leave me out of your personal meltdown. I simply applauded the mans well done creation.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Your coming in here with your attitude but your completely missing the point. I didn’t want to take away from anyone that actually had a unique idea or created something. I made this MAME cabinet sometime in the 2000s. I don’t remember the exact date but I know I themed it like that because American Chopper was big at the time and I liked the idea of how they always themed their builds. I take no credit for this idea it was common knowledge and part of the culture at the time. Notice those speakers, I did not put LEDs in them they were readily available everywhere. If you think I’m concerned that you borrowed something that was common knowledge and managed to pawn it off as your own I’m just all out of fucks to give.
I modelled that ring because it was the easiest least complex thing I could think of. The last thing I thought would happen is some one would get on their high horse that this was their big idea.
To those in the thread I do apologize for this drama. It was not at all what I expected and I won’t comment on this further.
[quoted image]

Downloaded and printing your file now, Thanks. Curious, Love that Mame cabinet how does that large round screen work? Is that a mask or more of a porthole look. Really cool.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It does this, no black bars for me. It looks better without the trackball. It’s painted with automotive paint in the actual early 60’s VW colours.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Simply Wow if you made that very impressive. Love that VW spin and paint also.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

We get it. You put some lights on speakers on a pinball machine. Possibly the first to do so, although doubtful. There are a lot of modders that don't share every detail, especially 10 years ago. The first to market with the product? Awesome, good job. I've heard nothing but good things. First to add lights to speakers? No. First to add lights to car speakers? Nope. First to add lights to a pinball machine? Nope. Manufactured some special lights that work better? Nope, cheap Chinese LEDs. Found a cool way to control them? Not that either. Cool in game integration? Still no. Listen, it's a cool idea otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it. The people that would print this bracket are in many cases people that wouldn't have paid full price for one of your kits, so you probably aren't losing much if anything.
Did you bug Chicago Gaming when they included lit speakers on some versions of their games? If not, why don't you head over there. I think we've heard enough here.

Lol. Honestly if this was personal I’d be all over the Pinstadium $500 LED lights. Another Inventor of LED lol. I’m jealous I missed that opportunity.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would want to be super careful (and a dedicated station in the garage, which would be difficult in the winter), but yea.. they are VERY tempting for sure. They have gotten cheap, and very good at printing detail. I'm sure at some point FDM won't cut it anymore if you want to keep up with other modders, and I'll have to jump in.

Agreed, need to be safe with these. Still crazy slow and the resin is still crazy expensive compared to filament. My only issue is you need to be careful which resin you use or the parts while pretty are like glass in a short time. One cold shipping trip USPS and it fragments lol. Still fun.

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not aware of ANY printer that can recover from a power outage without some sort of external monitor. Maybe Octoprint would help, I’ve not investigated that.

Raise3d Pro can power off for a week and continue exactly same spot. Love these machines. Have 4 now and looking at one more,

BD33230E-DB3D-48D6-9189-F3B85AC6D63A (resized).pngBD33230E-DB3D-48D6-9189-F3B85AC6D63A (resized).png
3 weeks later
#269 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Work with pla first. Not all pla is perfect so the brand and tolerance +/- is semi important. PETG will require some mods for optimum performance so i'd hold off until you navigate for a bit. No reason to mod an ender 3 pro out of the box for starting out. Learn the machine, but first build it right. level the table prior to every print etc.... methodical and patience about approach will yield great results.
there are many build videos. I suggest watching a couple while you wait for your machine. This one will get you started.
this guy is pretty good for some great tips. including a bed leveling g code. you'll want that. he's on youtube but couldn't find it straight away.
https://www.chepclub.com/bed-level.html
ask questions.
oh yeah, glass bed will resolve the warpage issue to an acceptable level if there is one. hopefully yours comes with one like mine did. i've never used anything but the glass.
I agree with Joe on the levelling. One of the most important aspects of the print so I level the bed every print.
r/
Mike

Level after Every Print?? That just Sounds painful lol. Just passed 68k hours of printing and I Think I leveled 1 time. Granted I don't own an Ender...

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

ABS is hands-down bad. I think PETG is in the ballpark of PLA in smell (not much smell), but in airborne micro particles, I think it's worse than PLA. The haze if I print PLA in the enclosed units is pretty much nonexistent, but a print of PETG of just 4-6 hours and it's all over the inside of the enclosure. That visual is what locked me in to deciding PETG was only for the two enclosed units with HEPA filtration, and getting a better HEPA room air filter even for the PLA units.

Well said. While you Can print custom materials on these entry level machines you Have to understand the dangers associated! I did not Want to buy fancy enclosed Hepa systems but our health is worth Way more then the creations we make! Similar to carbon monoxide in smoke detectors these machines Can be a silent killer! Even with enclosed systems people Need to use caution when printing with these materials in their home areas! No Joke! With the enclosures we use we have secondary provisions to further protect our use of this technology. They are Amazing machines but you MUST respect the long term dangers they impose to you and your home family!!!! Please do your homework and Know what you are doing for your own safety.

1 month later
#354 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

What type of printer do you recommend for this, Resin seems better than PLA but both I may have problems snapping parts together. Do I need to go to a more accurate printing service?

Don't you already laser cut acrylic parts? Why not just laser cut the script and inlay it into the printed plate. Can't get much clearer then acrylic for lighting.

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I thought about this, but clear plastic does not distribute the led light well. I would have to etch the plastic and it would look crappy with lights off - not attractive. So I could paint it with translucent paint (which I have done before) but I am trying to figure a way to go without painting.

Ok. If your laser is anything like mine you could simply etch the back for a frosted look. I’m guessing that would look pretty good and even.

2 months later
#652 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I've actually been trying to figure out ABS printing for a while now. I've got a snapmaker 2.0 A350 with enclosure, and I was printing ABS at 240 nozzle, 80 bed. The problem wasn't the first layer adhesion, but adhesion between layers. The part I was printing would peel apart pretty easily. Trying to take nozzle temperature even higher resulted in a mess (spool says the temp range is up to 240). Is there a chance that this is just a bad roll of filament?

Make sure the nozzle cooling fan is turned off.

#668 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Yup, already downloaded that last week and started playing with it a little. My understanding is to simply slice in Cura, copy the resulting file to the SD card, plug that into the printer, select it, and cross my fingers?

And don't forget pulling your hair out, screaming, throwing things across the room, and ordering new parts. lol It's all part of the fun and Know you will eventually come to peace with the learning curve but Rarely overcome it! Expect a few eye opening results in the beginning.

gfhgf (resized).jpggfhgf (resized).jpg
#671 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A big Raft is your friend at times, LOL.
I had that happen just the other day, first time in a long time.

Point made. You just never know. Just can't let it upset your efforts. Yes, IF I am planning a job that is 20 ish hours a raft is a must safety net. Otherwise I like to roll the dice...

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

What's a Raft? That's a term I haven't run across in my research!

Considering the following link I am certain you will find it useful in your new hobby.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

2 weeks later
#735 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I am thinking about upgrading from my Lulzbot mini to perhaps the Ultimaker S5. One of the reasons I like my Lulzbot is the self leveling function. Does anyone have any other recommendations? What's good between $5k to $15k? Thx!

The Ultimaker is a nice machine but I personally hated that you could only use the large 2.85 mm filament. Just tough to get when 1.75 is the standard everywhere especially in unique colors or materials.

#737 2 years ago

Good point. What printer do you have or recommend?

Have owned dozens of printers. You get what you pay for is what I found. We now have several Raise3D Pro2 units and have never looked back. Professional quality and as good as you can get reliable. Just don't bother with the E2 as that was a flop for us. Pro2 or nothing.

raise (resized).pngraise (resized).png

#740 2 years ago

Is the difference between the Pro2 and Pro 2 Plus just print size?
I think I may have found my next machine! Thanks!

Plus is double the height. Don't make anything that big myself so the standard Pro 2 is perfect. Great people to work with also and great service in the US.

#746 2 years ago

My Raised3D arrived today!
Shout out to Yelobird for the rec. Can't wait to start printing!
[quoted image]

Sweet. Good luck!!

#753 2 years ago

Just finished my first print. I decided to print a spinner. I had assumed I would have to assemble. But no! It came out pre-assembled! And it spins perfectly! I am floored!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great always fun on the first print. I have used most every filament out there and their Raise 3D Premium filaments are the best for quality. Use the discount code "Filament" for 10% off parts and filament. After buying 7 of these they tend to be very friendly lol.

1 week later
#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I’m making some pinball parts for a home brew project. Ever since I got my Ender 3, I get random layers that don’t stick well. Not a lot. Here is an example. During this 9 hour print, I had two layers where the extruded started making that clicking noise and I got under extrusion. It then fixed itself for all the other layers. Has anyone ever seen this? If it was doing it all the time, I would suspect a clog or too low a temperature, but the fact that it just does it in a single random layer or two during a long print has me baffled.
Also, any ideas about how to firm up that crack? It is still pretty solid, but I would like to make sure the crack doesn’t lead to real separation. I’m using PLA. Fill with super glue? Heat?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

#802 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Cold pull = heating up the hot end, pushing some through to extrude a little, letting nozzle cool to 90, then yank it out. It is a way of removing gunk from the nozzle that may be causing clogs. It worked for me before, but I can’t do it anymore.
All the issues I am having seem to point to moisture issues, but I can’t be sure. I’m thinking about buying the Sunlu filament dryer and seeing if that helps. I hate to keep throwing money at things without knowing for sure what the problem is.

A filament dryer is only useful if your doing a lot of Nylon. That is super hydroscopic. PLA just cut the last foot off and you are good to go. Mistake most new to the hobby do is assume all filaments are the same. Buy a quality filament get reliable consistent results. Stick with name brands. The price add is offset by the amount of f'ing around you do to save a buck. Hatchbox is the cheapest brand that is often consistent.

#806 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Not pinball related but thought ya’ll could appreciate this. Fully functional baby Mac in progress
[quoted image]

Very cool well done. Any pics of it lit up?

#849 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'd LOVE some Elvira SS boney beast bones for my HoH, who's savvy enough to whip some up?
[quoted image]

I may have a complete set shoot me a PM. Removed like new to install the glow in the dark custom ones.

4 weeks later
#892 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldfart:

I'm having a problem printing and was hoping someone has ideas. In May I build a large scale printer (Tronxy x5as). This is a core xy printer. I am gettig shifting when I print. The
X and Y axis belts are tight and have tensioners. I've tried slicing with Cura 4.10 and 4.9.1. I have used these stls before and they printed fine. Print bed adhesion is also not a problem.
[quoted image]

Just a suggestion guess but I would try Really slowing that print down. Only time I ever had that happen was on a cheap printer we tried years ago going to fast over drove the servos and would do this. Slowing it way down stopped the problem till we just threw the crap printer in the dump.

1 month later
#931 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Anyone know of someone that likes to paint 3D parts. Someone that enjoys painting details.
I have about 20-30 parts about the size of a thumb. Of course I would pay for the help.
Just don’t enjoy this part.
Any leads would be appreciated.

Consider making a 3d printed mask (thin) negative of the part your painting with that area subtracted. Snap it on and just dust with spray paint. Simple and pretty accurate.

1 month later
#1070 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

If I ever figure out a way to remove the balls without removing the glass I’ll let you know. I usually place the balls on the game next to it or a countertop. I just ordered a roll of TPU to test a print as well which will keep it from sliding on surfaces.
I like your idea of placing it on the coin box as well.

Just an opinion but for this application TPU would be way overkill and tough to print with the model printer you posted. TPU really needs a dual drive feed system and enclosure to pull off decent parts. For a simple ball holder a cheap PLA would be the way to go as it doesn't need to be flexible.

1 month later
#1202 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pulled the glass sheet, back to factory. Last attempt the nozzle was actually dragging on the print.
This thing prints PLA flawless. kicking my ass with ABS

Just apply a light amount of purple glue stick and you’ll be done with it. One application and you’ll do a dozen prints. Washes off in seconds with warm water. PEI is hit or miss with ABS and no coating. And you don’t need to go that hot. 235 should be enough so you don’t warp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.