IMG_6320 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240402_013903958 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 133.
#4901 7 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

I have this one bookmarked from a while ago when someone else recommended it but I haven't gone through it yet so I can't say how good it is.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrZ2zKOtC_-DJuRQXapOljLBQxAfRoh3S&si=ggrr54EYR6RgI1Qz
The one I used personally was from this guy. He has a series of tutorials that are really good, however fusion has gone through major changes since then so things are not going to look the same

That is who I watch to this day. He keeps it simple. Plus, printout the shortcuts for your keyboard. helps to learn how to use your mouse and keyboard together and if you can, remap buttons if you need to.

Ken

#4902 7 months ago

So I figured I would get some suggestions on how to use Fusion360 or one of the free(ish) cad programs.

A coworker just informed me about the veteran edition of solidworks. Anybody use it? 20 bucks
https://veteran-store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php
The SOLIDWORKS Veteran Edition includes:

SOLIDWORKS® 2023

SOLIDWORKS Premium (3D CAD software)
SOLIDWORKS Simulation Premium (FEA tools)
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation (CFD tools)
SOLIDWORKS Motion (kinematics analysis)
SOLIDWORKS Plastics Premium (part and mold filling analysis)
SOLIDWORKS Sustainability (environmental impact tools)
SOLIDWORKS Electrical Professional (electrical systems design tools)
SOLIDWORKS CAM Professional (integrate design and manufacturing processes)
SOLIDWORKS Model-Based Definition (define, organize, and publish 3D PMI)
SOLIDWORKS Composer (technical documentation tools)
SOLIDWORKS Visualize Professional (develop rich, photo quality content)
MySolidWorks Professional (your connection to everything SOLIDWORKS)
eDrawings® Professional (Viewing and publishing application)

SolidWorks for Military Veterans

#4903 7 months ago

Holy crap!

Quoted from DudeRegular:

So I figured I would get some suggestions on how to use Fusion360 or one of the free(ish) cad programs.
A coworker just informed me about the veteran edition of solidworks. Anybody use it? 20 bucks
SOLIDWORKS® 2023

#4904 7 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

SOLIDWORKS® 2023

Right.. but you need to be a veteran (or at least know someone that can provide the paperwork to buy one)

#4905 7 months ago

I’ve been printing these spool holders to help with organizing the room.

IMG_0235 (resized).jpegIMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
#4906 7 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Right.. but you need to be a veteran (or at least know someone that can provide the paperwork to buy one)

Well I hope someone can find it useful.

#4907 7 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Well I hope someone can find it useful.

ABSOLUTELY! I think it is awesome that they do that. Our company uses that product professionally and it's around $8K to start... not sure how much that package would be...

#4908 7 months ago
Quoted from Jazman:

ABSOLUTELY! I think it is awesome that they do that. Our company uses that product professionally and it's around $8K to start... not sure how much that package would be...

I sent in my info. They said it takes up to two business days.

#4909 7 months ago

Circling back here to provide an update. A couple of weeks ago I posted here a request for help in printing a file that was too large for our Ender 3. The file is an adapter to fit a Pinballlife/Spooky LCD screen into a Stern speaker housing, which we are using for our Honebrew. Ken eyeamred2u quickly volunteered and printed it over the Labor Day weekend, shipped to me the first business day, and did so at no charge. Just wanted to show the before and after progress we have made thanks to this adapter! LCD is installed snugly and also was then able to install speakers! Will power up LCD in a few days. Ken me and my boys appreciate you and we will pay it forward!

Also please follow our homebrew build where we have leveraged all kinds of 3D printed parts!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overwatch-homebrew-pinball

9744E0A0-5F1E-49A7-A16D-30E3A7DE0BE2 (resized).jpeg9744E0A0-5F1E-49A7-A16D-30E3A7DE0BE2 (resized).jpeg502DC3F9-4011-4CDD-A105-357793CD5E40 (resized).jpeg502DC3F9-4011-4CDD-A105-357793CD5E40 (resized).jpeg

#4910 7 months ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Circling back here to provide an update. A couple of weeks ago I posted here a request for help in printing a file that was too large for our Ender 3. The file is an adapter to fit a Pinballlife/Spooky LCD screen into a Stern speaker housing, which we are using for our Honebrew. Ken eyeamred2u quickly volunteered and printed it over the Labor Day weekend, shipped to me the first business day, and did so at no charge. Just wanted to show the before and after progress we have made thanks to this adapter! LCD is installed snugly and also was then able to install speakers! Will power up LCD in a few days. Ken me and my boys appreciate you and we will pay it forward!
Also please follow our homebrew build where we have leveraged all kinds of 3D printed parts!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Love that backglass art

#4911 7 months ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Looks amazing and was glad to have a small part in this family project.

Ken

#4912 7 months ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

What color of T-moulding are you going to go with? Looks great!

#4913 7 months ago
Quoted from king_pin:

What color of T-moulding are you going to go with? Looks great!

great question! debating white, orange, purple or just leave it black. Same conversation about powdercoat! Maybe add gray/silver to the powder mix.

#4914 7 months ago

My vote is for purple or black!

#4915 7 months ago

Cross-posting from the Cactus Canyon Remake owners thread:
I just uploaded my train track mod for CCr, and it's available for free on Printables. I designed it using TinkerCad, and refined the design over a few days. The railroad ties have a wood grain pattern for a rustic effect, and I'm proud of how it looks in the game.

https://www.printables.com/model/582562-cactus-canyon-train-track-mod-for-cgc-remake-pinba

Enjoy!

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).pngunnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#4916 7 months ago
Quoted from rapidflipper:

I just uploaded my train track mod for CCr, and it's available for free on Printables.

Absolutely outstanding work, and a wonderful contribution. Thank you! This is a great example of what makes our community so enjoyable. I don’t (yet) have a CC, but when I do, I’ll add this great mod. Fabulous job!

#4917 7 months ago

Are any of you all using fancy nozzles? I'm upgrading my print head was wondering it was worth a ruby or diamond.

#4918 7 months ago

I'm not sure what's available for the Bambu but I was just reading about ruby for use with cf nylon unobtainium ultra abrasives.. If you do it let me know how it works.

Quoted from RyanStl:Are any of you all using fancy nozzles? I'm upgrading my print head was wondering it was worth a ruby or diamond.

#4919 7 months ago

I still have a couple brass nozzles that came with my printer, so I'm going to use them up first. I might try ruby, but the almost $100 diamond nozzle, probably not. There is also Nozzle X, that I might try.

#4920 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Are any of you all using fancy nozzles? I'm upgrading my print head was wondering it was worth a ruby or diamond.

Stay away from the Ruby. A little research and you'll see just how flawed they are.

#4921 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Obviously the hardened nozzles are good if you are using any abrasive filament but the only other nozzle I've seen that is proven through testing to be better is that split one that splits the filament into three strands so it can melt faster.

It's probably only necessary if you are trying to print very fast though. Otherwise just go with the standard hardened nozzles.

#4922 7 months ago
Quoted from mstire:

I'm working on a 1960 Williams Darts and I can't find any of these roll over play field inserts. They have a little roll over button that rests in the center of it. I've checked everywhere and talked to Steve at PBR. Not available. Has a printable file been made for this yet? Is there someone here that can print these? I need 2 yellow and 2 white. I don't need the button, just the inserts.
Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

Planetary pinball has them in a couple colors. Too late now I guess lol.

#4923 7 months ago
Quoted from rapidflipper:

Cross-posting from the Cactus Canyon Remake owners thread:
I just uploaded my train track mod for CCr, and it's available for free on Printables. I designed it using TinkerCad, and refined the design over a few days. The railroad ties have a wood grain pattern for a rustic effect, and I'm proud of how it looks in the game.
https://www.printables.com/model/582562-cactus-canyon-train-track-mod-for-cgc-remake-pinba
Enjoy![quoted image][quoted image]

Great job on these. How did you apply the wood texture like that?

#4924 7 months ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Great job on these. How did you apply the wood texture like that?

May not be what he used, but there is a "wood plank" shape generator in Tinkercad. Issue with it is that it is only textured on two sides, but easy enough to add planks together to texture all sides. Other option is to apply texture outside of Tinkercad (e.g. Blender) and then import the shape.

#4925 7 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

SOLIDWORKS® 2023

I use this version, learned SW in the AF and just couldn't change my perspective to use Fusion360.
The only down side would be sending the solidworks files to someone else to work on, they are watermarked with the low cost version. I haven't had experience with the STL's yet. (I got it to design some tables for a Lego contest and just wanted to build it in cad before cutting the metal)

#4926 7 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Obviously the hardened nozzles are good if you are using any abrasive filament but the only other nozzle I've seen that is proven through testing to be better is that split one that splits the filament into three strands so it can melt faster.
It's probably only necessary if you are trying to print very fast though. Otherwise just go with the standard hardened nozzles.

Most abrasive I have right now is a wood PLA I'm trying right now with a new standard bronze nozzle. I have one bronze left and thought maybe I'll upgrade.

#4927 7 months ago
Quoted from king_pin:

...How did you apply the wood texture like that?

I was wondering the same thing.

Just when I think I hit my limits w/TinkerCad...then I see something that someone else did that is really neat!

#4928 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was wondering the same thing.
Just when I think I hit my limits w/TinkerCad...then I see something that someone else did that is really neat!

here is another example what I did 10 years ago now

Stern - AC:DC - Bell Cover Black (resized).JPGStern - AC:DC - Bell Cover Black (resized).JPG
#4929 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is another example what I did 10 years ago now
[quoted image]

You did that in TinkerCad, from scratch?

#4930 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You did that in TinkerCad, from scratch?

no but a real old version of solidworks

all it is, is a series of curves that taper off to the points and recess 0.5-0.75mm

#4931 7 months ago

I changed the bulbs in an older machine from incandescent to LED and now I'm getting some light bleeding between the inserts. I'm going to 3d print some baffles to block the light but I'm not sure how to attach them to the underside of the playfield. I think hot glue would work but it's a pain to work with since it strings so much and you need to work fast before the glue hardens.

Other things I'm considering are a silicone adhesive or two sided tape. I have some really strong tape but it's a pain to apply.

Any suggestions?

#4932 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Most abrasive I have right now is a wood PLA I'm trying right now with a new standard bronze nozzle. I have one bronze left and thought maybe I'll upgrade.

I've got some of the wood PLA to try out. Did you try any finishes with it (ie: stain, etc)? How are results? I'm assuming to get real wood looking stuff you'll have to build the grain surface into the model as well.

#4933 7 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

I changed the bulbs in an older machine from incandescent to LED and now I'm getting some light bleeding between the inserts. I'm going to 3d print some baffles to block the light but I'm not sure how to attach them to the underside of the playfield. I think hot glue would work but it's a pain to work with since it strings so much and you need to work fast before the glue hardens.
Other things I'm considering are a silicone adhesive or two sided tape. I have some really strong tape but it's a pain to apply.
Any suggestions?

3M double sided tape, I have used that with success on my pins

#4934 7 months ago

Hey sorry for the aside but I am just wondering if anybody here is able to help me with a 3D project that I havent been able to get to the point Id like it to be for printing.. I am trying to get a nice looking replacement 'Big Shot' figure for Dr Dude, I started with the pretty good looking 3D file that already exists (from virtual Dr Dude) - and really it just needs a few details and proportions changed to be very close to the real thing. Ive been trying to do this in blender but really Im just making a mess.. 3D is not my medium. If anybody here has the skills and is willing to help, Id be happy to discuss some monetary considerations for your time, and hopefully we can post the file here and end the Big Shot Cartel!

If anybody can help, send me a PM

#4935 7 months ago

Pretty proud

Quoted from Jazman:

I've got some of the wood PLA to try out. Did you try any finishes with it (ie: stain, etc)? How are results? I'm assuming to get real wood looking stuff you'll have to build the grain surface into the model as well.

Printing a groot planter right now with it for first time. I might try a stain, but color looks pretty right as is. May just hit with a dark brown wash.

#4936 7 months ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Hey sorry for the aside but I am just wondering if anybody here is able to help me with a 3D project that I havent been able to get to the point Id like it to be for printing.. I am trying to get a nice looking replacement 'Big Shot' figure for Dr Dude, I started with the pretty good looking 3D file that already exists (from virtual Dr Dude) - and really it just needs a few details and proportions changed to be very close to the real thing. Ive been trying to do this in blender but really Im just making a mess.. 3D is not my medium. If anybody here has the skills and is willing to help, Id be happy to discuss some monetary considerations for your time, and hopefully we can post the file here and end the Big Shot Cartel!
If anybody can help, send me a PM

Might be worth checking on Upwork or Fiver - the people on there can probably whip this out for $50

#4937 7 months ago

I printed a couple spool holders from thingiverse and mounted them to the ceiling above my printer. It’s pretty convenient and works well as a storage solution

IMG_0242 (resized).jpegIMG_0242 (resized).jpeg
#4938 7 months ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Here are all the pieces installed in my game.
Center piece had failed (shifted layers) and I'm going to rework that a bit tonight.
Want to see this week when it's painted how it looks.
Not totally happy with the left parts but don't have ideas on how to improve them. Don't want to make them a column with a torch..
Also want to see if I can improve how it looks under the lamps, play with some shadows maybe.[quoted image]

This looks great and I've been on the fence on the Maiden backdrop from Ministry of Pinball. Curious if you making these to sell or just for your own game?

#4939 7 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I printed a couple spool holders from thingiverse and mounted them to the ceiling above my printer. It’s pretty convenient and works well as a storage solution
[quoted image]

That's funny, I was just thinking of doing the same. I broke the one on the side of my printer with a 3kg spool, and I was debating between doing exactly what you did vs some of "TUSH" roller bearing type. Which design did you use?

#4940 7 months ago

I finished the light baffles for my Class of 1812. This is how big of a difference it made for light bleed. Both images are with the single lamp being lit

PXL_20230918_214607111 (resized).jpgPXL_20230918_214607111 (resized).jpglightbaffle (resized).pnglightbaffle (resized).png
#4941 7 months ago
Quoted from herg:

That's funny, I was just thinking of doing the same. I broke the one on the side of my printer with a 3kg spool, and I was debating between doing exactly what you did vs some of "TUSH" roller bearing type. Which design did you use?

This was the model I printed. The centre spindle was a pain to print for me, so I might just use a piece of dowel.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4814049

#4942 7 months ago

This was my most recent project. A Ghostbusters sign for the game room. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5387694 I think whenever you print a light up sign the infill should be 100%, and if I print this again I will make the ghost out of glow in the dark filament. The light is just a led strip along the inside edge

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4943 7 months ago
Quoted from mwong168:

This looks great and I've been on the fence on the Maiden backdrop from Ministry of Pinball. Curious if you making these to sell or just for your own game?

I haven't had time to paint the parts for my own game yet
The idea was to make a small limited run to sell, as I spent a long time designing the parts..

#4944 7 months ago

This was my most recent project. A Ghostbusters sign for the game room. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5387694 I think whenever you print a light up sign the infill should be 100%, and if I print this again I will make the ghost out of glow in the dark filament. The light is just a led strip along the inside edge
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

hm, maybe you could difuse the light a bit, use some layers of baking paper for instance. I do not know if 100% infill would give a nice effect. I think you will see a lot of lines.

#4945 7 months ago

I say go with no infill and do a shell only, but make the shell thick enough to diffuse the light a bit so that you don't see each individual line. Might take some trial and error.

#4946 7 months ago

[quoted image]

Nice setup. I'm not sure how much you print or how often you burn thru your filament. Based on the window, I'm guessing this is a lower level. Just something to be aware of if you aren't already, all filament is hygroscopic... some materials more than others. Leaving it open like that will cause it to degrade over time to where prints will get ugly or fail to print at all (how long depends on the moisture level and the material).

Happy printing!

#4947 7 months ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Nice setup. I'm not sure how much you print or how often you burn thru your filament. Based on the window, I'm guessing this is a lower level. Just something to be aware of if you aren't already, all filament is hygroscopic... some materials more than others. Leaving it open like that will cause it to degrade over time to where prints will get ugly or fail to print at all (how long depends on the moisture level and the material).
Happy printing!

Thanks for the heads up. My whole house is humidity controlled and I also have a food dehydrator that I thought might work better if I notice an issue. So far I’m only using pla. I thought nylon was the only stuff to really worry about

#4948 7 months ago

Thanks for the heads up. My whole house is humidity controlled and I also have a food dehydrator that I thought might work better if I notice an issue. So far I’m only using pla. I thought nylon was the only stuff to really worry about

I swear I've had rolls that went bad after leaving them out during summer but it's hard to say for sure what happened. I've seen people on youtube do tests where they literally stick a roll of PLA in water and it doesn't seem to do much so I have a feeling the worries about water absorption are overblown.

#4949 7 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

I swear I've had rolls that went bad after leaving them out during summer but it's hard to say for sure what happened. I've seen people on youtube do tests where they literally stick a roll of PLA in water and it doesn't seem to do much so I have a feeling the worries about water absorption are overblown.

Not overblown, not to me at least. I use a few different brands of PLA and have seen one brand in particular become brittle if not stored air tight. I like their product, so I learned really quick to bag it.
Just my 2 cents.

#4950 7 months ago

..... And what is that brand?

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Not overblown, not to me at least. I use a few different brands of PLA and have seen one brand in particular become brittle if not stored air tight. I like their product, so I learned really quick to bag it.
Just my 2 cents.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby/page/99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.