IMG_2452.gif
T'n'T (resized).png
Tropic_Thunder-903707036-large (resized).jpg
91nGR50RTpL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_ (resized).jpg
8piou5.jpg
tumblr_2a1f1c861662fafb470de3b2ffee06e9_fd9af67f_400.gif
DSC01245 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,918 posts in this topic. You are on page 880 of 959.
#43951 4 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I think that's very possible..... except redoing the graphics and music. Too much licensing (IMO).
Take LOTR for example: what a nightmare that would be. You have to get the rights to likenesses, the movie rights to the film/s, if you redo the music from soundcard generated to recorded music then the rights to that..... the difficulty and expense of licensing everything already in the game all over again is very high, and then you still have to create all the assets you're swapping out. Ouch. Just as expensive as a totally new game.
On the other hand if it's a straight emulation and just adding color to dots.... it's a renewal (a very old expired one - but still much easier and cheaper). Soundcard generated music is literally a thousandth the cost, and dots have no likeness concerns at all. IC wrapper is a one-time expense for the entire platform, and they still have artists on staff who can do dots for expanded code.
I'd say the odds are this will be the end result (and it will be wonderful).

I'm fine with emulated dmd with colorized dots if they go the CGC route and do an XL DMD, but an emulated dmd on an almost square lcd so there's a slim band in the middle and huge black bars would be a fail, IMO. And, I don't see Stern doing the CGC XL DMD screen thing. Nice thing is, with the Metallica release, we should know pretty soon what the direction is...

#43952 4 months ago

But will we get new art packages on the games from the photos shop era? LotR and Tron would benefit from this and possibly bring licensing costs down even further

#43953 4 months ago
Quoted from Capn12:

You mean, like these sculpts?
[quoted image]

These were their best ones...

images (19) (resized).jpegimages (19) (resized).jpeg
#43954 4 months ago

My dream version of the rereleases would be if they added color dots but also added IC and achievements. I doubt they would go this route, but if they could also do the rereleases at even a slightly cheaper price point than a Pro release it would be amazing.

#43955 4 months ago

I feel like IC would be relatively easy to add. But the question is how do you do the GUI for it if they’re not doing a serious overhaul of the graphics. Maybe they could toss a mini LCD into the apron? It could display game rules, game pricing, ads, and then do Stern IC stuff.

I don’t think they spent all that time and money to not put IC into everything they do at this point.

I kinda doubt they’d redo everything with LCD clips. Maybe for some like Metallica who seem to want to work together. But LOTR? No way

#43956 4 months ago
Quoted from BRW84:

It's 32 years old and vastly overvalued due to the theme. Stern made two Avengers pinball machines within eight years of each other. I think a new Super Mario pin made by a manufacturer that still exists would be a massive hit.

I’d love to see a video game theme pin…but I’d personally prefer Zelda. But any of these would be great: Zelda, Mario, Sonic, or Mortal Kombat.

#43957 4 months ago

stern Side blades for Metallica would be nice.

Guessing the new Metallica Topper will Not Work with SAM versions of the game

#43958 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

7. Simpsons Treehouse of Horror

This would be a buy for me. I’d also be interested in a new South Park…the Panderverse would be awesome.

#43959 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

*Someone* will always be salty. If Stern is re-doing the graphics to be LCD color and not just emulating the DMD, and even fixing the sound so it's stereo and better quality that's not going to be available as a ROM update for the original games that don't have color and better sound like Spike. I don't think Stern is thinking about the relatively distant past, just their future, and these remakes on Spike (3?) will sell very well if they're not half-assed (DMD emulation would be my definition of half assed).

Obviously if they go the full LCD remake route backporting their video game engine (Unity?) code from SPIKE 3 to Whitestar is too much to ask. I don't think they'll do a full LCD remake though, that would cost money and as we all know Stern never met a penny they couldn't pinch. As others have pointed out licensing would also drastically limit their ability to remake the games people would actually want to buy at 2023 prices. That leaves a basic rerelease of possibly-fixed Whitestar/SAM code running on "it's not PinMAME, we swear" and if you're going to be running the original architecture and code anyway, the only reason not to offer the bugfixed/rebalanced code as ROM images (for a nominal fee, as PPS did with Soren code) is greed.

#43960 4 months ago

1. Futurama
2. Batman Animated Series
3. Tom & Jerry
4 the Advemtures of TinTin
5. X-Men ‘97
6 Pink Floyd
7 King of the Hill
8 Frasier

And of course BTTF

Make them happen Stern. Please

#43961 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like IC would be relatively easy to add. But the question is how do you do the GUI for it if they’re not doing a serious overhaul of the graphics. Maybe they could toss a mini LCD into the apron? It could display game rules, game pricing, ads, and then do Stern IC stuff.
I don’t think they spent all that time and money to not put IC into everything they do at this point.
I kinda doubt they’d redo everything with LCD clips. Maybe for some like Metallica who seem to want to work together. But LOTR? No way

Assuming they don't want to re-do all the graphics, I'd replace the DMD with an LCD doing dot emulation, and would reformat the IC screens to fit the DMD height.

#43962 4 months ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Assuming they don't want to re-do all the graphics, I'd replace the DMD with an LCD doing dot emulation, and would reformat the IC screens to fit the DMD height.

LED matrix panels are cheap. ColorDMD and XPin are expensive because they only need to be cheaper than the cost of a refurbished plasma DMD to sell, plus the expense of developing the ColorDMD software and translating the plasma drive signal into something the matrix controller will understand. I can buy the parts to make pinball-sized DMDs for less than $150 from Adafruit, and that's at retail prices. Stern used LEDs for the DMD on Spider-Man The Pin already. Dot emulation would be a cop-out at best and a prelude to upsell people to "real" dots at worst.

#43963 4 months ago
Quoted from ThreeWayCombo:

LED matrix panels are cheap. ColorDMD and XPin are expensive because they only need to be cheaper than the cost of a refurbished plasma DMD to sell, plus the expense of developing the ColorDMD software and translating the plasma drive signal into something the matrix controller will understand. I can buy the parts to make pinball-sized DMDs for less than $150 from Adafruit, and that's at retail prices. Stern used LEDs for the DMD on Spider-Man The Pin already. Dot emulation would be a cop-out at best and a prelude to upsell people to "real" dots at worst.

It's not about cost, I imagine they would want to add IC to games if they are going to re-release them. If so, they have three options, either go with a LED matrix panel and find somewhere to stick a small LCD, convert the whole IC interface to dot-matrix, or use their standard LCD with dot emulation.

Finding a place to stick a small LCD isn't obvious...the right side of the apron already has the IC reader, and they're not going to get rid of the price card on the left...sticking it in the playfield is a non-starter.

Converting the whole IC interface would likely be too painful if possible at all...how do you show a player's icon for example? How would you overlay all the text required for achievements?

Either they use an LCD with the existing dot emulation code they have for the service menus, or they ship these new vault versions with no Insider Connect at all...

#43964 4 months ago

I think were overthinking this- not like these potential re-makes are selling where they are because of their DMD animations. However they want to do this going forward it's the gameplay of these older sterns that will sell them.

#43965 4 months ago

Mad Max
Top Gun

I think it would take Spooky to do South Park which would be great. Too “offensive” for today’s Stern

#43966 4 months ago
Quoted from ThreeWayCombo:

Obviously if they go the full LCD remake route backporting their video game engine (Unity?) code from SPIKE 3 to Whitestar is too much to ask. I don't think they'll do a full LCD remake though, that would cost money and as we all know Stern never met a penny they couldn't pinch. As others have pointed out licensing would also drastically limit their ability to remake the games people would actually want to buy at 2023 prices. That leaves a basic rerelease of possibly-fixed Whitestar/SAM code running on "it's not PinMAME, we swear" and if you're going to be running the original architecture and code anyway, the only reason not to offer the bugfixed/rebalanced code as ROM images (for a nominal fee, as PPS did with Soren code) is greed.

It depends how many units these things sell. I'd guess the gameplay, playfield would always be the same, recent rereleases have come with significant code updates, but nothing too crazy, actually trying to convert current DMD screens to LCD content seems like crazy town since there is a decent percentage chance they screw it up and turn people off. More likely ColorDMD, some code change, some new DMD elements, and upgrading the system to allow for Insider Connected.

Stern shall not rest until they are getting the money, not people selling used.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#43967 4 months ago

The dream is to do the CGC thing and redo the dots in “HD” on a LCD screen with a DMD filter. That would make the new ones really stand out against the old ones.

#43968 4 months ago

A very adult version of Motley Crue would be a badass pin.

#43969 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The dream is to do the CGC thing and redo the dots in “HD” on a LCD screen with a DMD filter. That would make the new ones really stand out against the old ones.

Yes, I'd assume they'd use a LCD screen to allow for all the "fun" things that pop up for Insider Connected. Like those ads!

#43970 4 months ago

One can dream!

IMG_8354.jpegIMG_8354.jpeg
#43971 4 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think it would take Spooky to do South Park which would be great. Too “offensive” for today’s Stern

Probably right.
Elvira is about as risqué as you get now.

#43972 4 months ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

1. Futurama
2. Batman Animated Series
3. Tom & Jerry
4 the Advemtures of TinTin
5. X-Men ‘97
6 Pink Floyd
7 King of the Hill
8 Frasier
And of course BTTF
Make them happen Stern. Please

Would love a Batman the Animated Series although don’t see it happening with the recent passing of Kevin Conroy. Getting Mark Hammil for some Joker audio would be sweet though.

#43973 4 months ago

I’d love the Harley Quinn cartoon, but it’s probably too adult for what Stern has done lately.

#43974 4 months ago

DMD "remasters" would also allow them to create a new price point. Those older Pros typically had more going on than today's stripped versions

You didn't think you were getting a remaster for $6999 did you

#43975 4 months ago

Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks
Saving Private Ryan (Where are the war pins?)
Pinocchio ( Pun intended )
Tombstone
Ren and Stimpy
Animaniacs
D̶a̶t̶e̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ Cops ( bad boys, bad boys... )

I'll be here all week

#43976 4 months ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

DMD "remasters" would also allow them to create a new price point. Those older Pros typically had more going on than today's stripped versions
You didn't think you were getting a remaster for $6999 did you

These re-makes will be 10k by Christmas.

#43977 4 months ago
Quoted from toefur:

Saving Private Ryan (Where are the war pins?)

D-Day would be a pretty wild way for a pinball game to start, just immediate final wizard mode.

#43978 4 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’d love to see a video game theme pin…but I’d personally prefer Zelda. But any of these would be great: Zelda, Mario, Sonic, or Mortal Kombat.

It's still crazy to me that Sega never made a Sonic pinball machine. It's a no-brainer.

#43979 4 months ago
Quoted from BRW84:

It's still crazy to me that Sega never made a Sonic pinball machine. It's a no-brainer.

From what I understand Sega wasn't in the business very long, bought data East then after not much time at all Stern bought them. Probably just a random purchase by the company, with no real serious pinball plans. The separate divisions likely didn't have a friendly working relationship.

#43980 4 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

A very adult version of Motley Crue would be a badass pin.

For sure, I’d be all in for an LE. Same with Judas Priest, Megadeth, Pantera, Sabbath and other music pins if done right. A Tommy Lee spinning drum cage toy would be cool and don’t forget the dancing girls ha ha

#43981 4 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

actually, stern's move consolidated the 2 buildings that they previously owned/leased. there was a 2nd building that was used for cold storage and additional parts.
the move allows them to put everything back into one building, making it much more streamlined and easier to fulfill part requests. previously, part orders could be delayed for days, weeks or even months due to the fact that a number of parts that were ordered were stocked in the cold storage building.

Stern make a mistake? #Never

#43982 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm fine with emulated dmd with colorized dots if they go the CGC route and do an XL DMD, but an emulated dmd on an almost square lcd so there's a slim band in the middle and huge black bars would be a fail, IMO. And, I don't see Stern doing the CGC XL DMD screen thing. Nice thing is, with the Metallica release, we should know pretty soon what the direction is...

Speaking of cgc. They are the biggest joke. Almost a year and no one has a Pulp fiction yet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#43983 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Metallica will be the indicator of Stern's approach to the re-releases. I think they're much less likely to be "remakes" than just fairly straightforward re-releases with updates made to work on Spike systems like color graphics and stereo sound.

This both makes me happy and distresses me at the same time. I have a METLE and not worried about paper $$$ lost. Just more that it would be a phone in, knowing a new Met will sell on name alone. Im probably in on some version at any rate.

#43984 4 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Speaking of cgc. They are the biggest joke. Almost a year and no one has a Pulp fiction yet.

No one can say it was unexpected

#43985 4 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

INDISC got a brand spanking new one, so I think general shipments are close.

Also, INDISC's machine has not broken down to my knowledge and has been played non-stop for 3 days, so that's a good indicator of the quality.

Pulp will be part of THE OPEN finals, so it should be streamed pretty extensively tomorrow. Dalton Ely currently has the top score on the machine at INDISC, ~30% higher than the #2 spot on Pulp.

https://www.neverdrains.com/2024/playerIndex.php?disp=game&sel=The%20Open&game=125

#43986 4 months ago
Quoted from BWT67:

One can dream!
[quoted image]

Yeah, I would absolutely buy a Red Dawn pin from Stern. I love that movie, grew up watching it and have seen it dozens if times. I'm not sure how widespread the appeal would be though, but I'm in...

WOLVERINES!!!

#43987 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

INDISC got a brand spanking new one, so I think general shipments are close.

Karl confirmed it's a prototype.

#43988 4 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

When I reserved my LE on day one, I was told that production would start late fall. So at this point they're two or three months behind.

#43989 4 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

When I reserved my LE on day one, I was told that production would start late fall. So at this point they're two or three months behind.

It will be a year soon enough

#43990 4 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

It will be a year soon enough

Maybe, but people at that point will be saying two years.

#43991 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The dream for me is LCD screen the size of current stern games.

#43992 4 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mad Max
Top Gun

There's 26 seasons of South Park, if Stern wanted to do the game with full assets, modes, etc. There's plenty of content to pull from that's not offensive or politically controversial.

#43993 4 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

There's 26 seasons of South Park, if Stern wanted to do the game with full assets, modes, etc. There's plenty of content to pull from that's not offensive or politically controversial.

I'm not buying a southpark machine unless it IS offensive and controversial.

It's almost like you're trying to suck the fun out of a funnel cake.

#43994 4 months ago
Quoted from toefur:

I'm not buying a southpark machine unless it IS offensive and controversial.
It's almost like you're trying to suck the fun out of a funnel cake.

Fair point then put a chick in it and make her gay

#43995 4 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Miss Chokesonchick?

#43996 4 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

There we go

#43997 4 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I've been suggesting a Tedgridy Farms SLE for a while.

#43998 4 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Exactly. South Park is offensive and politically controversial.

Don’t want some watered down BS

#43999 4 months ago

Is there really a huge demand for another metallica if it's same game but with updated lcd with HD dots? They made a ton of them over a 5+ year period . I think there are better options like tron and lotr. So many new games available and many more coming out this year . At some point the buying will drastically slow..... you can allready see a huge decline.

#44000 4 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is there really a huge demand for another metallica if it's same game but with updated lcd with HD dots? They made a ton of them over a 5+ year period . I think there are better options like tron and lotr.

You have to remember that Stern sells pins worldwide, and Metallica is huge all over the world. I can see them doing well with a refreshed Spike3 Metallica re-release. Ditto TRON, LotR and all the other Whitestar/SAM games people have been pining for. Since the R&D and most of the development (except the refreshed, colorized, parts and maybe sound) are DONE, a huge part of the costs are already paid for. Plus the RISK of a new title is minimized since they know those were hits and have a waiting buyer base. All of that is a big advantage over from-scratch pin development.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, OH
$ 39.99
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

There are 47,918 posts in this topic. You are on page 880 of 959.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/880?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.