Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,416 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2038[1] (resized).jpg
    20221130_193536 (resized).jpg
    20221130_193538 (resized).jpg
    C919CD50-B88D-43F3-8C43-5C8B96F6105F (resized).jpeg
    20220707_120058.jpg
    20220706_173039.jpg
    20220705_190231.jpg
    4E6FB350-D932-496E-A67E-C47614DAA94A (resized).jpeg
    6FE217CD-246E-4D26-9574-089C10AD836C (resized).jpeg
    87635104-1075-4825-940F-617AB927EA50 (resized).jpeg
    DYkfSE (resized).png
    prawn2 (resized).jpg
    20220618_124024.jpg
    jerky6 (resized).jpg
    jerky2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtn-.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

A few weeks back, I had this piece of pig neck running for about 8h using the "snake method".

Its rubbed in with my own homemade spicemix.

Smoked with a mix of apple and cherry wood.
    bbk (resized).jpgbbk (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

I'm doing a large pot of pasta sauce. Fresh onions, garlic, and herbs. I gathered mushrooms yesterday.
    So what are you cooking?[quoted image]

You added any broth? I always add some beef stock to my pasta sauces, I think it really gives it that little extra that makes it stand out. Any serious italian chef would probably laugh at me though.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My mom was a great cook and always taught me to add red wine to any tomato based sauce. Adds a depth of flavor. Gravies too.
    Here's a lasagna my wife made recently with homemade pasta. I was told yesterday that I'm going to help make 4 cheese ravioli today.
    [quoted image]

My mouth is watering!

#20 4 years ago

Ok, sorry guys (and girls), lots of pictures coming up!
    IMG_20200404_165418 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_165418 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_170428 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_170428 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_172159 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_172159 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_173332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_173332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_175010 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_175010 (resized).jpg

Damn Im full. Time for a powernap.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Toss the spagrus in a half dozen drops of sesame oil and some salt and pepper and toss in a hot pan for 1 min. Sprinkle a few drops of good balsamic on it and serve crunchy.
    You're welcome.

Bacon wrapped asparges, too, is damn awesome.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I took no pictures so believe what you will , this weekend I prepared:
    Friday: ham, cheese & spinach quiche (use sharp cheddar and parm, sprinkle top with both for a nice little crust)
    Saturday: Mongolian beef with asparagus and jasmine rice (garnish with fresh cut green onion and sprinkle with sesame seed)
    Sunday: chicken pot pies
    all using foods from the freezer as grocery supplies near us have ample supplies at 0800 when they open and we are now only buying for the week, not 3.

Well, I believe you. But without pictures my mouth doesnt water, unfortunately. I like my mouth watering..

And I also like getting inspiration from seeing pictures of good food. I know alot of people hate such stuff, but then I guess they are in the wrong thread.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Picture of the cold left overs just for you then;
    Scuse the abundance if salt, i'm addicted to the celtic sea salt.[quoted image]

Thank you for giving me an idea about what to cook tomorrow!

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

SMOKED BACON
    [quoted image]

Damn it. Your just living the dream!

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Some ribs from tonight. Still tweaking my rub mix but these tasted as good as they looked.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful color! And beautiful smoke ring.

#74 4 years ago

Sourdough is awesome. Best kind of bread, imho.

I'm thinking about firing up the BBQ again tonight, just need to wait until "low traffic hours" in my favourite store, so I can pick up some nice meat. Its also easter which here in Norway means that all stores (that arent already closed due to Corona) will be closed for two days and some.

That means two days(and some!) without the possibility to buy beer!

So, starting tonight, there will be some heavy carrying for quarantine beer and meat.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yes! I got lunch the rest of the week.
    [quoted image]
    Looked better glistening right out of the oven with all the crust in tact.

That looks awesome! But is that gonna last you a whole week for lunch?

#84 4 years ago

Sausages!

IMG_20200407_201701 (resized).jpgIMG_20200407_201701 (resized).jpgIMG_20200407_203613 (resized).jpgIMG_20200407_203613 (resized).jpg
    #90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Yeah it’s not bad. My favorite from them is their blueberry maple pancakes. That is one crazy good breakfast beer!

Theres nothing quite like a breakfast beer! These days I've had plenty. Heh.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Steaks are best cooked sous vide. I've won money betting people i can cook the best steak they've ever eaten.
    Get yourself a $20 ribeye with a handle on it 2" thick and do it at 55C (130F) for 2 hours sous vide and then sear on your flat top for a minute either side.[quoted image]

That can indeed be true. But its not a given. I love sous vide'd meat, and I'd eat it any time. However - the maillard reaction will be done alot better without the plastic baggie tendering/cooking. Thats why I prefer the reverse sear method.

#107 4 years ago

A couple of days ago, I translated a cooking recipie for Tomass in another thread. Its all about cooking a deep frozen steak of elk (but any red meat will do) slowly.

If anyone want to check it out, its https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharing-alaska/page/5#post-5574614

This is really good. Where I come from its what we eat at burials, marriages partys and whenever given the chance. Hope some of you will test it because I know you'll love it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tj%C3%A4lkn%C3%B6l

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

Homemade Sausage Soup
    1 (1lb ish) package of Italian sausage links - often have in my freezer. Mild and hot both work well
    1 finely chopped onion
    Crumble sausage and brown with onion in stockpot
    Add one large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes and one can equivalent of chicken broth.
    Bring to a boil. Once boiling add 1/2 cup ortzo pasta and desired herbs/spices, reduce to a summer and 20 minutes later...eat.
    I think make this practically once a week since it is so easy and it's all pantry/freezer stock in my house.

Sounds awesome! Do you deliver to Norway?

2 weeks later
    #341 4 years ago

Made some smoked trout and a gorgonzola filled pork tenderloin today.

IMG_20200426_122408 (resized).jpgIMG_20200426_122408 (resized).jpgIMG_20200426_124301 (resized).jpgIMG_20200426_124301 (resized).jpg
    #343 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I always assess whether a cook is worth the trouble,is the juice worth the squeeze so to speak.I’m thinking this was more then I want to mess with again.What say you?

Next time you do it you will have more experience(since you already done it) and it will be easier / quucker. If end result is good enough I never back down when it comes to cooking

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I hear that but we have a very good Mexican restaurant down the street,so when they open I’ll retire my Al Pastor!

When they reopen and you eat there next time you will be thinking "Hmm, I could have made this better myself"

#412 4 years ago

Good to see your getting along again guys! golfingdad1 punkin

#416 4 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

I see lots of nice smokers and sous vide - you guys are more sophisticated than me. My cooking tools are a charcoal grill made
    from a gutted propane grill, a newer propane grill with side sear and rotisserie bar and I also have an instant pot and an oven.
    You guys will probably laugh but I use the instant pot for my ribs. I toss in a can of coke and let the ribs cook on high pressure for 20 mins. After that I rub and sauce them and toss on the grill for 10 mins or so. It’s so easy and fast I can make it for a weeknight supper and the meat falls off the bone.
    Wings I struggled with on my grills and I want to get a smoker but don’t have one yet so have to work with what I have. Again you guys may laugh but I found a good oven method that involves boiling the wings to render out some of the fat, then baking them on a rack in the oven. They turn out great with crispy skin - I toss in sauce and good to go.

Research the "snake method", you dont need a fancy & expensive Traeger etc for smoking..

https://www.google.com/search?q=snake+method+charcoal&oq=snake+method&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.4144j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#421 4 years ago

Dinner. Baked potatoes with garlic butter and entrecote with bearnaise. And some refried veggies left over since yesterday.

IMG_20200427_185308 (resized).jpgIMG_20200427_185308 (resized).jpg
    #436 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Beef Pot Roast. I made this in the crock pot overnight. I hope that the cooking technique and plate are acceptable. [quoted image]

I love my slow cooker.

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Takeaway Thai Jungle Curry. Order it PET PET PET and see what you get.

Love thai food. My favourite couisine.

1 week later
    #552 3 years ago

A beautiful plate. A really dirty burger, inside a coffe filter. Its 01:30 nighttime here and Im somewhat drunken.

IMG_20200509_013220 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_013220 (resized).jpg
    #556 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If that's a laptop under your burger, please be careful with your drink Burger looks good!

Yeah, it was so good I had one for breakfast aswell.

#557 3 years ago

I was abit hungover today, so after the breakfest burger I was early on the beer and BBQ.

I shouldve taken the meat off earlier, I prefer it more "red".

IMG_20200509_143737 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_143737 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_144234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_144234 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_150310 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_150310 (resized).jpg
    #558 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I was abit hungover today, so after the breakfest burger I was early on the beer and BBQ.
    I shouldve taken the meat off earlier, I prefer it more "red".[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

img_20200509_151108 (resized).jpgimg_20200509_151108 (resized).jpg
    #612 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Brisket, half way there. Now wrap and finish cooking.
    [quoted image]
    Done[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a nice looking brisket.

#618 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

A mate dropped in and gave me a brined belly from a pig he grew and slaughtered. Yippee, 15lb of bacon coming up. Spose i better save him a slice. If i could have fit it in i could have had a brined ham even bigger he brought with him, too big for my home built smoker.
    [quoted image]
    FrozenPizzaReallyPunkin

Thats one of the traditional norwegian christmas meats right there. Not in form of bacon though, but as a roast with really crispy skin. Mmm.

#628 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Belly is coming along. Cabinet temp is a rock solid 68C and core temp on the meat is already 47C (aiming for 68C). I'd forgotten how quick bacon goes.
    Started the smoke about 7 hours ago with rum soaked french oak sticks, switched to pecan wood about an hour ago and will stop the smoke in a couple hours.
    [quoted image]

Tell me more about your homebuilt smoker? How do you handle the temperature control? Its electrical, yes?

Ive built a few hot smokers / bbq through the years, and been thinking about doing something for cold smoking. Lots of delicious stuff that could be cold smoked.

#632 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

It's the third or fourth one i've built, i used to sell a lot of Jerky so kept building ones that could hold more. This one has 5 stainless shelves or i can hang sausage on dowels. It has three separate controls, one for the extraction fan on the back (used only with jerky) one for the bottom element in the box beloow the main box where the smoke is generated by putting sticks directly on the hotplate, and one for the pie warmer element in the cabinet to control the cab temp.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm. Send me some jerky

So, basically, if we try to make it more easy, you use one temperature controlled element for smoke and one for maintaining smoker box temperature? How does these interact? Or is it more like "getting to know how to use it"?

3 weeks later
    #699 3 years ago

Mediterranean feast. Shish taouk chicken thighs and beef kafta on swords my mother in law gifted to me last Christmas.

Looks awesome. How do you make those kafta things? Is it minced beef?

#700 3 years ago

Flanksteak and some lamb burgers today. Making lunch for upcoming workweek. Not pictured is the large salad I made for aforementioned lunchboxorama.

IMG_20200607_170414 (resized).jpgIMG_20200607_170414 (resized).jpgIMG_20200607_171408 (resized).jpgIMG_20200607_171408 (resized).jpg
    #702 3 years ago

It’s made of ground beef, parsley, minced onion, salt, pepper and spices - sumac and seven spice is commonly used.

Hmm. No binding agent? How come it doesnt fall off?

#712 3 years ago

Not sure what you call this cut at all in America, but here its normally grounded up for burgers or used in stews. Its a back piece.

Since brisket is extremly expensive and hard to find here, I use this cut, to get something atleast alittle similar.

Im not really happy with the end result, should have left it another hour. Was ok atleast.

IMG_20200613_191832 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_191832 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_214425 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_214425 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #739 3 years ago

Tomahawk. First time, because this is a really expensive cut and Id rather spend my little money on pinball.

It was smoked for 2.5 hours with hickory at exactly 100 degrees celsius, then seared at maximum. Awesome. Meat for a few days.

IMG_20200620_202206 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_202206 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_214217 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_214217 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_222612 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_222612 (resized).jpg
    #755 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so how long with this quarantine cooking thread go on? I am still in quarantine but working from home. Looks like I will be at home for a long time. Even with the state opening back up, still staying home. Have friends that want to hang but having a sick wife that is high risk, is not worth the risk. So I will have quarantine cooking for a long time. How about you guys? Still in quarantine?

Nopes. Norway was really early in shutting everything down, my only quarantine time has been because I got sick, together with a few others from work. I stayed home for six weeks.

Things are almost back to normal here, but of course with social distancing rules / etc in effect.

However, I see daily that people think the danger is over, and I fear what the future will bring. Norway only have 245 registered deaths due to Covid-19, until now. I hope it stays thay low, but I really much doubt it.

My homeland Sweden have 5000+, and it has me very worried. That is alot in a 10 mill population.

Im just working and staying at home, even though restaurants and pubs are open again. I also visit our pinball club, Kristiania Flipperselskap and meet the fellow clubmembers for beer and gametime.

#757 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

If I get it its over ( 64 and copd ) Wife works as a cook is my risk.

What is copd?

#759 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs.

Sorry to hear that. Good thing you take care of yourself and remain careful.

#761 3 years ago

Also, I dont need a pandemic to like watching peoples home cooked meals. I love food ( eating) and cooking, and get alot of inspiration from seeing what you all are cooking.

And punkin just pushed me over the edge regarding sous vide, Ive been thinking about it the last five years but finally ordered a decent vacuumpacker and the heating / circulator device. I was gonna build my own but..

#770 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I thought we sorted you out on that issue last time. It's another way of transferring heat to protein, get over it.

I don't believe there's a better wat to cook a steak. i haven't done the reverse sear, so can't comment either way on that. But get a big tomohawk steak two inches thick like the one a few posts above, put it in a bag with some pepper, a little oil and some thyme or oregano and cook at 54C for 2 hours then seer on a red hot grill or blowtorch.
    Put it up against a steak cooked any other way and i'll tell you which is which from the photos when it's cut.
    I've had at least 5 people tell me it's the best steak they've ever eaten.
    The vac sealer is one of the handiest things you can have in your house. Buy bulk meat and put a single serve in a small freezer bag then put 4 or 5 in a vac bag. Each time you take a serve out reseal the vac bag. Meat will stay good for years.
    Use it for coffee, even your pot.

When it comes to beef / steak I have a slightly different opinion.

Sous vide, surely it will result in s excellent result every time, and its the definitive goto for alot of meats. But it a as you said, when it comes to reverse sear.. Sous vide doesnt allow for the slow penetration of meat with smoke and it doesnt really help the maillard reaction. But might have other benefactors weighing in. Like the enhanced marinating due to vacuum.

When I get my vacuum and sous vide cooking gear in a couple weeks Im gonna do a side by side experiment. This is nothing to take lightly. This is meat!

#772 3 years ago

I guess your talking to golfingdad? Or is it me? English beeing my third language its not always easy for me with everything.

#776 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Sous vide is good with thick cuts of meat. I think the best thing I’ve cooked sous vide is corn beef brisket, 48 hours at 140F. Best corned beef ever.

Please explain this to a ignorant european like me. I thought corned beef came on tin cans?

Oh, I get it. Please keep your dayjob, dont start as a comedian right now.. Hehe

#781 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

if you have only had corned beef in a can......man you are missing out. that canned stuff is junk!!!!

Never had corned beef at all.. Like, hm, maybe its called something else here? Minced meat? Köttfärs?

#783 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I mean corn beef like the big brisket style sold for Saint Paddy’s day.
    I’ll buy a few when they’re on sale and then save them in the freezer
    [quoted image]

Aah, oh. Damn.

Fuck, strange. Now I get it. Corned as in corn fed? Since forever Ive thought it meant something else. Dunno where I got the idea it came in tin cans either. I guess it might be some early pop culture reference gone syntax error. I get alot of those, unfortunately.

#805 3 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

You guys ever had a seared tuna cheesesteak? Fresh tuna, sear it, cut into small/medium chunks, provolone cheese, and some wasabi mayo and some people add a drop of soy. It's fantastic.

Sounds awesome. Ive had alot of whale beef, otoh. Very good, but a very touchy subject. I think its only Norway and Japan who still catches whale.

I stopped buying it a couple years ago though, and I am pretty happy with that decision.

#806 3 years ago

Today lambburger.

IMG_20200624_174408 (resized).jpgIMG_20200624_174408 (resized).jpg
    #808 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

that's a fat burger!!!
    so I picked up some cast iron skillets for free the other day. What do you guys use to season yours? I've seen flax seed, avocado, and Martha says to use Crisco. how many times do you season it?
    Going to pick up that sous vide this evening too. will post picks of that later.

Ive always been using rapeseed oil, mostly because its (atleast around here) cheap for the higher quality stuff and produced nationally. Some people think it adds taste, which Ive never noticed, but that might be because Im so used to it. It can tolerate higher temperatures than many other oils though.

When I tend to my skillets I nornally leave them with rapeseed oil inside the cooking oven, set at about 70-90 celsius for eight or more hours. Until its "full" and the leftover oil is very thick.

Im sure there might be a better way though. Or better oil. But it works good enough for me.

#810 3 years ago

Only one hour? And at such a high temperature (190 celsius)? Hmm. Many vegetable oils start breaking down at lower degrees, olive oil for instance.

#846 3 years ago

Use those cooling elements instead, they are almost for free and used in those plastic cooling containers. Or just buy cold beer. Still, a piss warm beer is better than cold water.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Cooling-Battery-Element-Coolbag/dp/B00OHJBI56

#848 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Does this count?
    My first attempt
    [quoted image]

Beautiful carrot!

#850 3 years ago

punkin As long as you dont involve the microwave oven in any kind of proper cooking I can agree.

#867 3 years ago

Im throwing a elk steak on the bbq this afternoon, low and slow.

#869 3 years ago

Im full.

IMG_20200626_174306 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_174306 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_181104 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_181104 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_181307 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_181307 (resized).jpg
    #881 3 years ago

Borrowing a sous vide circulator from a good friend today, while Im waiting for the stuff I ordered to arrive.

Also found a local place that sells imported frozen brisket. Starts at 299 NOK (31 USD) per kilo though.. Ugh!

#885 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

lmao nice

Any local butcher should be able to get you a brisket. You don’t need an imported one unless you are talking about corned beef. If that’s the case then make the corned beef and will be way less expensive.

We use "different" cuts in regard to parting out a cow here. I dont think it would be any less expensive if I would find a butcher able to supply me.

#886 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Sending out morning smoke signals. I haven’t done a smoke this early in a long time
    [quoted image]

What type of wood you smoking with? I just found a source for juniper, which is what we traditionally smoke everything with where I grew up. (Northern Sweden)

#890 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Worth a shot to check. I’m sure no parts go to waste. A whole brisket is huge

That part is usually ground up for minced beef here.

#908 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Pity i can't post a scratch'n'sniff. The smell of the cumin and Sichuan pepper on the coals as you sprinkle is exceptional.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I often put cumin in my dry rub mixes, makes it stand out alittle.

#910 3 years ago

I got a very nice gift yesterday, out of the blue. My friend, also a member of Kristiana Flipperselskap, gave me his old SousVide Supreme, since he mostly uses his Anova now.

Maybe he reads this thread?

15933478923336372500068148608889 (resized).jpg15933478923336372500068148608889 (resized).jpg
    #911 3 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

Those look legit. Right now i only have a gas grill, but thinking of picking up a weber to grill more meats.

Get one big enough for smoking..

#927 3 years ago

Ok, my first try using the nice machine.

Duckbreast, at 60 degrees, and Im gonna leave it in for 1h30m.

Will sear the skin side after bathing.

IMG_20200629_222206 (resized).jpgIMG_20200629_222206 (resized).jpg
    #928 3 years ago

Yeep. Juicy!

I think I might have been alittle over cautious though, but Im sure I will get the hang of it.

Been using https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html for reference.

IMG_20200630_000829 (resized).jpgIMG_20200630_000829 (resized).jpg

#934 3 years ago

I just put a piece of rib roast, about a kilo, in the new toy. Just some garlic, butter and salt together with it, in the plastic bag.

Its supposed to be ready to sear in 24h, precisely when I'll be home from work.

This is a strange new way of cooking for me.

#942 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

That green Chiluba is great!

Id love to test the green one. Only the original is available here

#943 3 years ago

But as I already mentioned, prik nam plah is my favourite hot sauce.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/nam-pla-prik-recipe

#945 3 years ago

Im a believer now.

After 24h at 54 degrees, this was the result after searing. Very good. Ofcourse, I miss the smoky taste from doing it on a smoker, and next time I'll probably go at 52 or 50 degrees.

I like how well the garlic taste was distributed evenly through the meat. And a damned cheap piece of meat, it was.

IMG_20200701_231917 (resized).jpgIMG_20200701_231917 (resized).jpg
    #948 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

What Sous vide are you using? I feel like my 129F is a lot redder than yours. On a side note, I'm embarrassed that we still use this stupid system in the US. I've been slowly changing over to metric for cooking, I'd love to change for carpentry, I keep telling myself I'm just going to do it and I chicken out.

The machine is a "SousVide Supreme demi". And yeah, I agree about the redness of the meat. Will make excellent sandwich and salat meat though!

#950 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Chilli salt is the in thing here.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Fuck, looks like i can put food on a plate.

What kind of fish is that, @punkin?

#952 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

My guess is squid.

I thought it was some flatfish. I think I need to pick up some halibut soon.

#960 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Another pork knuckle, what can i say, it's an easy roast for one and enough left overs to make a meat pie for tomorrow.
    This time with garlic and pepper rather than caraway.
    [quoted image]

I love pork knuckle. Also great meat for pea soup.

#962 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Is that what we call pork shoulder in the states?

No. Pork knuckle is a leg parting detail. Around here very cheap, and totally underrated.

#963 3 years ago

Sousvide chicken and rice. Awesome. Had some lemon, garlic and stuff in the bag.

15939492508536959320723996183781 (resized).jpg15939492508536959320723996183781 (resized).jpg
    #973 3 years ago

These are the Norwegian prices, for fresh meat, in USD, per kilo

Chicken breast: 12.80
    Entrecote: 28.86
    Frozen shrimp 60/80: 10.39
    Pork knuckle: 7.02

These prices are for the average++ quality, you can ofcourse get better quality which will be very expensive, and you can, for instance pay alot less for chicken breast (frozen) and you will end up paying for brine.

And to finish the insane price list, the cheapest 0.5l beer is 2.5 USD. For one can.

#975 3 years ago

Yeah, Norway is very expensive. Norwegians often go to Sweden for bulk purchase, but the border have been closed since the 12th of March, due to you-know-what.

#978 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I would gladly pay those prices to have the benefits you have. I’d be eating a lot of shrimp for sure.

Thank you, I stand humbled.

#981 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Agreed, I've only been to Oslo, but what a beautiful part of Scandinavia.
    The two trolls snuck into my suitcase and have been hanging round my house for nearly 40 years now.
    [quoted image]

You should visit my home region, in northern Sweden, and fill your belly with elk, smoked whitefish and cloudberries.

#984 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a dick, but we've all got to look at the entire picture and not just focus on the parts that suck. I have to remind myself every day.

I wasnt beeing ironic, you got me right there. Sorry man

#987 3 years ago

Got a package with cured sausages and ham today. Looking forward to enjoy these with beer this evening.

15940220462058524059089572658290 (resized).jpg15940220462058524059089572658290 (resized).jpg
    #991 3 years ago

Yeah, you cant just post that without explanation. Someone died or got married?

#1003 3 years ago

Not to forget tornado potatoe. Mm

#1005 3 years ago

Smoked trout today, and made a trout burger.

Potato salad in the bottom and pickled red onions on top. Coffe filters are handy for burgers.

IMG_20200708_135949 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_135949 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_140847 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_140847 (resized).jpg
    #1015 3 years ago

Damn, even eating with cob holders, you Sir, truly is civilized!

#1017 3 years ago

First week of vacation ended friday, and on tuesday Im expected back at work.
    IMG_20200712_180843 (resized).jpgIMG_20200712_180843 (resized).jpg

I cooked the ham in the sousvide, but I didnt cool it off enough, I think, because it stuck to the "covering".

#1020 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I will see you in 4 to 5 hours my tasty little treat!!
    [quoted image]

Tell me more? Looks like marinated pieces of..? What temp / time?

I love 'bab.

#1022 3 years ago

Looks awesome to me!

#1038 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Gained 25 pounds quarantine cooking. Diet started Monday. Ha! Unless you guys want to see some diet food, I'm out for awhile.

Healthy food can be awesome too. Yeah, I also gained weight even though I've been out of quarantine since April. I guess Ive been treating myself and also drinking huge amounts of beer.

#1039 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

My fish connection turned up here at home with a box of fish yesti.
    Catch of the day is Goldentail Snapper fillets. 5kg (~11lb) sleeved and snap frozen, 13 big fillets. Should see me good for close to thirty meals with some loose change from $100. I don't eat much at a sitting. Firm white fish at less then $5 a serve? Yes please.
    [quoted image]

We dont get snapper around here, but bbq (whole) snapper.. Fantastic. Only ever eaten it in Thailand though, together with prik nam pla and rice. Awesome.

How do you cook your filets @punkin?

#1060 3 years ago

punkin or anyone, ever tried doing pork cracklings / rinds (or wtf they are called) on a smoker? When I think of it, it must be the perfect snack.

I mean, temperatures are too low to make the pig skin crackle, but if smoked long enough at 120 celsius it should only require a hotair gun or good torch to crackle.

#1062 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

It's so simple to do in the oven perfectly if you take the skin off first.

Yeah, I know that. But I'd like alot of smoke flavour.

#1064 3 years ago

Experiment coming up. In a couples of week or a months time. Frozen pork belly is cheap here.

#1080 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Shame, all the beautiful mushrooms you guys have over there and you're eating agaricus.
    Mushrooms were my hobby before charcuterie.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Those are the strangest looking Cubensis I have ever seen.

#1092 3 years ago

Pyttipanna, a staple Swedish dish cannot be eaten without canned beats. They are also very tasty on knäckebröd.

#1094 3 years ago

A typical Sundays breakfest here.

IMG_20200719_103259 (resized).jpgIMG_20200719_103259 (resized).jpg
    #1122 3 years ago

Smoked bratwurst today. Left them in for 90 or 130 minute or so, smoked with Juniper, at a relatively low temperature, 70-75 celsius.

Damn, good taste! Ate two, and will maks the swedish staple dish pyttipanna with the rest.

IMG_20200722_180115_814 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_180115_814 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_180115_816 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_180115_816 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200722_174316 (resized).jpgIMG_20200722_174316 (resized).jpg

#1136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Never thought about smoking with Juniper.

Its what we traditionally smoke with, where I am from. Northern Sweden.

#1149 3 years ago

Brunch.
    IMG_20200725_134050 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_134050 (resized).jpg

Its what we call pyttipanna, its fried sausage/potatoes/onion. Often eaten with fried eggs and canned beets. Served on a paper plate,since the dishwasher needs to be emptied.

#1150 3 years ago

Dinner.
    IMG_20200725_195809 (resized).jpgIMG_20200725_195809 (resized).jpg

Sousvide chicken breast and fries.

1 week later
    #1204 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

So got a question for those not in the states. What kind of charcoal do you use for smoking?

I prefer juniper, but I use it in a smokebox, not as chunks thrown on the coal.

Juniper has a strong taste, but very round.

#1227 3 years ago
    Quoted from easye9901:

Veggie Omelette and piece of naan bread
    2 eggs, onion, green pepper, tomato, spinach and cheese
    Ohh... and can't forget the hot sauce!
    [quoted image]

That reminds me.. A ex girlfriend always wanted veggie pizza, but with meat. Not in spite, because she liked it.

#1228 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

If you can find it Lazzari's lump mesquite charcoal is far and away the best I have found.The flavor is incredible.

Thirty years ago, when I was a young whippersnapper, we did our own "charcoal stack" as a school project. The result was fantastic. And fun project too.

#1240 3 years ago

Keeping it simple, on the first afternoon on my second (of three) vacations.

Fetacheese somethings, made with minced beef and coleslaw.

IMG_20200807_181745 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_181745 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_183255 (resized).jpgIMG_20200807_183255 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1258 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

My version of kafta with no onion or garlic
    [quoted image]

I love kefte. I used to work with a turkish guy, and every friday his wife sent kefte for me too. And sometimes lamachun. Aaah.

#1260 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Had to look up what lamachun is and sounds tasty. We have a ton of Mediterranean bakeries here and they make meat bread or cheese bread. That lamachun kinda sounds like the meat breads we can get. May have to try that this weekend

Its a very good brunch with a tall black coffe.

1 week later
    #1278 3 years ago

Making a Swedish staple dish today, peasoup.

First boiled the(smoked) pig leg for three hours, and now boiling the peas in the "schweinhaxe boil water" for 1.5 hours. Its really hard not to eat the meat during the long wait. So damned good.

IMG_20200822_164657 (resized).jpgIMG_20200822_164657 (resized).jpgIMG_20200822_164822 (resized).jpgIMG_20200822_164822 (resized).jpg
    #1280 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

My favorite soup.
    I just ordered a smoked ham shank from Mahogany Smoked Meats and will use the hock and trimmings to make a batch.
    https://smokedmeats.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfnr35n9bszCILFQm1XnRNqz5INulXN3l6MvBSc1UAB9yviu7dOcrUYaAvnMEALw_wcB

Is that cured? Or how is it transported?

#1283 3 years ago

End result.

With lots of mustard. Mmmm

IMG_20200822_181202 (resized).jpgIMG_20200822_181202 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1296 3 years ago

Simple stuff. Boiled potatoes, 150g entrecote and a chilipeppersauce(homegrown, testing the maturity of a few green ones). And some lingonberry, ofcourse.

IMG_20200904_203325 (resized).jpgIMG_20200904_203325 (resized).jpg
    #1301 3 years ago

Haha. It was all covered in too much sauce. Lingon berry is a northern Scandinavia staple condiment. Almost like chanterelle.

#1303 3 years ago

I know it is. And its awesome to everything minced beef with a cream based sauce/gravy. Mmmm.

And while your at IKEA to buy Lingon, make sure to get some knäckebröd too.

#1312 3 years ago

Tonight I'm celebrating my second home, Norway, by cooking Fårikål.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A5rik%C3%A5l
    IMG_20200912_222035 (resized).jpgIMG_20200912_222035 (resized).jpg

While listening to Waylon Jennings, drinking beer after beer and dreaming of a fucking Covid-19 free future so I can get back home to Sweden and visit my old parents.

Take care, my friends.

#1314 3 years ago

This piece of "cow chest" was supposed to be in the sousvide for 30 hours at 50 degrees, and then I was going to let it smoke until core temperature reached 65. However, there was a power out when I was at work, when I came home the sousvide was turned off, so in order to save it, I ran it for 24h at 65, and then fire roasted it.

Tastes awesome, but...
    IMG_20200913_190307 (resized).jpgIMG_20200913_190307 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1321 3 years ago

Wieners and a cold one.

Perfect hangover breakfast.
    IMG_20200920_091205 (resized).jpgIMG_20200920_091205 (resized).jpg

#1322 3 years ago

So, on a small vacation, borrowing a friends house to do some freshwater fishing and alot of drinking.

Snusdosa for size.

IMG_20200921_164556 (resized).jpgIMG_20200921_164556 (resized).jpgIMG_20200921_183015 (resized).jpgIMG_20200921_183015 (resized).jpgIMG_20200921_183654 (resized).jpgIMG_20200921_183654 (resized).jpg
    #1324 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Wtf kinda fish is that? Looks scary!

Its a perch. Yeah, it does look alittle punk rock with that huge back fin.

#1326 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Wow crazy to see a different kind of perch. Ours don't get that crazy looking over here. Or that dark. what did you season with?

Salt, pepper and lemon. And I just love "egg butter" to any white fish.

#1330 3 years ago

First I let it run for 5h at 50 degrees sousvide, and then I smoked it at around 110 until core temperature reached 65.

IMG_20200926_140938 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_140938 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_200505 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_200505 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_201547 (resized).jpgIMG_20200926_201547 (resized).jpg
    #1337 3 years ago

To the northamericans here, TIL that you can get Västerbottencheese (Västerbottenost) at IKEA, but only in USA, apparently.

Try it.

#1338 3 years ago

Fried black pudding with lingon berry.

IMG_20201003_161956 (resized).jpgIMG_20201003_161956 (resized).jpg
    #1344 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Black pudding is with pigs blood right?

Yep. I guess its what we call "aquired taste".

#1346 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so what does it taste like? and you put snozberries on it? who ever heard of a snozberry?

Well, its alittle sweet and "irony" . Often used spices are nutmeg and ginger. (if you make it from scratch)

#1348 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Cleaning out the crisper[quoted image]

Looks like it could use some chili?

4 weeks later
    #1405 3 years ago

Congrats on the gnr @punkin! For how long do you smoke meat that's already "sous vided"? Personal experience is that the smoke flavour doesnt really stick..

#1409 3 years ago

Shrimps, meat and baked potatoe. Prik nam plah as condiment.

IMG_20201107_203134 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_203134 (resized).jpg
    #1414 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Crustless mushroom, onion, bacon quiche. Served with some fried mashed potatoe cakes

Food looks good. But what impresses me is how clean your stove top is!!

1 week later
    #1424 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

It was chilly today so I made some Turkey Chili with cumin and a little molasses. Sweet and slightly spicy.
    [quoted image]

Looks lovely. I like mine superfckin hot and with alittle sour creme on the side.

#1426 3 years ago

Chunky cod soup.

Onions, garlic, chili, habanero, sour cream, white wine and cod.

IMG_20201124_170854 (resized).jpgIMG_20201124_170854 (resized).jpg

#1451 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone has a air fryer? If so, how do you like it? Black Friday deal had it under $50
    [quoted image]

I have one, a Philips XL something, and I only use it for potatoes. Tried it with battered fish, but I think I get better result using "standard oven".

It does excellent baked potatoes though! As long as you remember to flip the potatoes at half time.

I got this unit for free, had I payed for it I wouldve felt cheated. Imo, its a uphyped product.

2 weeks later
    #1485 3 years ago

What punkin said. I have this cheap but decent pasta machine, marcato atlas something. Very happy with it.

#1498 3 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Venison liver in an almond/chicken broth sauce
    [quoted image]

Around scandinavia we often eat venison liver with a creme based sauce, capers, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a small piece of ansjovis. Mmm.

#1499 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Yeah a 20 dollar machine works fine. I love to make it and do a wide handcut fettuccini style about an inch and a half wide.
    Only takes 1-2mins to cook and feels so much better in your mouth.
    First time i made pasta took me an hour and i had flour, dough and washing up all over the kitchen.
    It's like anything though, once you stop using a recipe it get's easier until now i can do it with no mess and bugger all washing up.

Yeah. I like the machine because it does the job of the rolling pin so much better than me. Also it cuts lovely spaghetti.. Getting hungry now!

1 week later
    #1522 3 years ago

Not to be rude of offensive in any way, but personally I just cant understand the thing with thick pizza bottoms. Its the same way in Norway, and for me this resemblances more something like a pie.

I grew up in Sweden, where the pizza tradition is more italian, thin bottom. Mm.

Dont get me wrong though, generally I do prefer big bottoms. (except pizza)

#1531 3 years ago

Tonight were having a small new years celebration in our pinball bunker, and as usual were doing it "potluck style".

So yesterday I made one of my specialities, a very spicy habanerostew.
    IMG-20201230-WA0007 (resized).jpegIMG-20201230-WA0007 (resized).jpegIMG_20201230_205258 (resized).jpgIMG_20201230_205258 (resized).jpg

I love it when its so hot that you have wet dreams about sourcream weeks afterwards.

#1543 3 years ago

Happy new years! Damn it, I really want a flat top for cooking.

4 weeks later
    #1606 3 years ago

I enjoy your posts @bayoubilly70, you seem to eat alot of meat that is somewhat exotic to me.

Havent had rabbit in 20 years, its very hard to find in Norway. When I grew up in Sweden I had it sometimes, my grandfather used to hunt.

Id love to try buffalo meat sometime. Tried a quick google search for it, and only norwegian results are imported dog snacks made of hyde.

#1608 3 years ago

Eagerly awaiting detalied pictures of the whole pig punkin

1 week later
    #1635 3 years ago

Having salat for lunch today. Lots of olives, avocado and feta cheese.

IMG_20210211_162134 (resized).jpgIMG_20210211_162134 (resized).jpg
    #1636 3 years ago

Squid in puttanesca sauce[quoted image]

You had me google puttanesca. Seems very good.

#1642 3 years ago

Proper scandinavian breakfest.

Knäckebröd and coffe.

IMG_20210212_092307 (resized).jpgIMG_20210212_092307 (resized).jpg
    #1644 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Of all the things i miss about Scandinavia, it's the black bread. I can't get bread that good in Australia.
    It's like people invented butter after they had that bread because they needed something to do it honour.

I think IKEA actually sells knäckebröd in Australia?

#1646 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Maybe, I'm in a village.

You should try to bake your own. If there are no proper recipes in english online Im happy to translate a few from swedish/norwegian.

All that fish you often fry would taste the best cold, on a knäckebröd.

#1652 3 years ago

Its perfect. With knäckebröd you dont have to worry about mold or getting fresh bread. Also it consists of so much fiber and good stuff that its the perfect cure for a hungover belly.

#1655 3 years ago

Damn. Your inspiring me with your mean italian cooking @bayoubilly70. Im having to google after your every post here.

#1690 3 years ago

Lamb stew[quoted image]

Looks awesome.

Theres this VERY traditional norwegian course called "fårikål". Basically "mutton in stew". Basically it consists of sheep meat, cabbage, salt, water and pepper.

When I left Sweden for Norway about 20 years ago I was very skeptical to try this, but its actually awesome.
    And its very typical of (early) Scandinavian cooking.

Lemme know if you want to try it, and Il be more than happy to tell you how. Its often consumed with boiled potatoes that are introduced in the pot last 30 mins.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, because all Norwegians are rich now due to oil and shitty salmon export they all use lamb.

2 weeks later
    #1729 3 years ago

Sorry. I thought you were saying your wives are your gfs. Is it some kind of food allergy?

#1731 3 years ago

Thank you for clarifying! Has she always been like that?

#1733 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

No. She became sick and due to all the meds she has been on caused it.

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well. If she wants to try a Norwegian speciality, I could send some pinnekjött to you, my treat.

#1737 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I did some wings for dinner with 5 different flavors. Most of them got a base dusting of Malcom Reed’s King Craw before smoking. Then on the smoker at 425 for about 20 minutes.
    Flavor 1 - Blues Hog BBQ
    Flavor 2 - Malcom Reed’s Hot Sauce
    Flavor 3 - Captain Rodney’s Boucan Glaze
    Flavor 4 - Heath Riles Vinegar BBQ sauce
    Flavor 5 - Dusted with Kosmo’s Nashville Hot Wing Dust after cooking.
    [quoted image]

So, which one was the tastiest?

#1738 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

What is pinnekjott?

Basically cured, dried and sometimes smoked pieces of lamb or sheep rib that you first soak in water for 24-30 hours and then you steam boil them for a couple of hours. And I prefer to finish them off in a iron pan for maillard effect.

#1742 3 years ago
    Quoted from DavidCPA:

Anyone here have a smoker? Tri Tip, jerky and smoked cheezeits (dusted with ranch seasoning and garlic). I tend to try and use all my smokers space when going low and slow. What do you guys smoke (loaded questions)?
    [quoted image]

Pork, chicken and fish. I also love wasting charcoal to cook large pieces of beef, at a really low temperature to lather them in smoke until I reach core temperature. Then I rest them and you know the rest.

#1743 3 years ago

Hungover breakfast burger. Lots of chili and cheese.

IMG_20210314_100037 (resized).jpgIMG_20210314_100037 (resized).jpg
    #1745 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Sounds like it would be tasty but I don’t think meat can be mailed to the states. Would probably get confiscated

Ah, too bad.

1 week later
    #1767 3 years ago

We need a vid guide for smoking meat! Haha

#1769 3 years ago

I havent done "traditional english" fish 'n chips in quite a while. The deep frying creates too much smell. Early summer though.. With windows wide open and etc

#1772 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

That's a shallow/pan fry. I'll often do an oven bake

grab a cash iron skillet and put it on the grill. I won't fry or even cook fish in the house. has to be outside, so I do just put a cast iron skillet on the grill

Yep. Unfortunately its still winter and snow here.

#1780 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Definitely have the makings of tonight's episode of fish and chips, we'll have to see how it expands after a joint though.
    [quoted image]
    It's a tough life when the prawns are bigger than the lobsters.

Damn, those are huge.

#1795 3 years ago

Celebrating my 42nd birthday with a burger and beer for breakfast.

Two types of pickled chili, onion, smelly cheese, Sriracha and a ghostchili marinated burger in a sourdough bun.

IMG_20210327_084420 (resized).jpgIMG_20210327_084420 (resized).jpg
    #1797 3 years ago

I actually have veggie/vegan days atleast 2 days a week because Im trying to loose a few kilos and also because of bad DNA. However Im a strong believer in treating yourself sometimes!

Hell, in the weekdays I even switched from beer to white wine. Haha.

2 weeks later
    #1809 3 years ago

Hungover breakfast turkey sausage with lots of hot sauce. Goes down with a beer, ofcourse.

IMG_20210408_141640 (resized).jpgIMG_20210408_141640 (resized).jpg
    #1819 3 years ago

Hake is a good fish. I never actively fish for it, but gotten it a few times while fishing for cod.

#1820 3 years ago

Was invited to two other clubmembers (Kristiania..) home for Swedish style kebab pizza yesterday, and it was fscken fantastic.
    IMG_20210415_202743 (resized).jpgIMG_20210415_202743 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1831 2 years ago

Very simple but really tasty. I love starting the slow cooker before I leave for work. This time with some beef meat.

IMG_20210428_190643 (resized).jpgIMG_20210428_190643 (resized).jpgIMG_20210429_152013 (resized).jpgIMG_20210429_152013 (resized).jpg
    #1847 2 years ago

I sometimes cut ul the sausageslike that to give them a larger fry area.

#1861 2 years ago

Flank for friday dinner.

IMG_20210507_221631 (resized).jpgIMG_20210507_221631 (resized).jpgIMG_20210507_222145 (resized).jpgIMG_20210507_222145 (resized).jpg

(Yeah, I know I cut it the wrong way in regards to meat fibers in the first pic.)

#1863 2 years ago

Im not sorry, just cutting meat while intoxicated. Flank really needs to be cut right, even though this piece was really tender overall. Mmm. I know what I will have for topping on my morning knäckebröd.

#1872 2 years ago

I love dinner food for breakfast. And its amazing how well most food go with strong black coffe.

2 weeks later
    #1892 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Yeah, you guys don't eat a lot of lamb i know.
    That was started in a large pot on the stove top with vegies and flour before browning the meat and adding stock then put the pot in the over with a cartouche at 140C for a 4 or 5 hours. Uncover to brown for an hour.
    You can do a schweinshaxe (pork knuckle) too, as that has the gealtinous meat that benefits so much from slow cooking.
    But i seem to recall that you guys get more packaged meat and have to go out of your way to get a butcher to cut it how you want it too?
    We have to ask the butcher to cut the pork knuckle bigger as they normally sell small parts and the bulk goes to the hand of pork.
    https://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-german-pork-knuckle-schweinshaxe-with-beer-gravy/

I love schweinhaxe. Cheap and awesome

#1900 2 years ago

Love beercan chicken. If you look at the first picture in the post it looks like alien skulls with eyes and mouth

#1911 2 years ago

Simple stuff. Smoked pork, I had it in the grill for about 2 hours to reach 63 degrees internally. Marinated for 24 hours. Leftovers will be fried with rice and veggies tomorrow.

IMG_20210529_174754 (resized).jpgIMG_20210529_174754 (resized).jpgIMG_20210529_175053 (resized).jpgIMG_20210529_175053 (resized).jpgIMG_20210529_183547 (resized).jpgIMG_20210529_183547 (resized).jpg
    #1934 2 years ago

Mashing freshly boiled small early potatoes in good broth / soup is very good aswell.

2 weeks later
    #1963 2 years ago

Depends on the sausage,imo.
    Wieners are best boiled

#1971 2 years ago

Aah, yes, simmer is the word ofcourse and what I meant. I usually just use the standalone water boiler to heat up the water and then let them simmer for 10 - 20 minutes under a lid. If there is something Norway might be better than Sweden in, its the wiener sausages.

#1996 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Try it with lemonade first. It's just my weird taste buds that go to Fanta and even most 9 year olds tell me it's grooooossss. Chocolate topping is also optional.
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spiders/e78051ea-96b1-4403-9f84-2a73fa49a605
    Apparently you guys call it an ice cream float.
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spiders/e78051ea-96b1-4403-9f84-2a73fa49a605

Haha. I wish I could still smoke. Because what you posted is straight stoner stuff. (And its nothing wrong about that!)

#1999 2 years ago

Baileys, whiskey, (cold) coffe, ice cubes and vanilla ice cream together in a blender is awesome aswell.

#2002 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

You ever make your own Baileys?
    My recipe is all over the distilling forums in the stickies.
    No distilling involved. And much better than Baileys. Keep it in the fridge.
    Punkin's Muck
    Whip 3 farm eggs till fluffy.
    Keep beating with the mixer as you add...
    Add 2 cups scotch (or other 40%, rum or bourbon)
    1 440ml can sweetened condensed milk,
    about the same of thick cream
    1 tablespoon of chocolate topping
    1 teaspoon of good vanilla extract.
    Shake before pouring over ice...
    We only usually make it at xmas time, because it's just too good, we'd be fat as fools if we drank it all year.
    Beautiful as a small heartstarter after your morning coffee over the holidays

Thanks! Ill try it sometime.

3 weeks later
    #2028 2 years ago

Fried bread with leftover entrecote and eggs. Proper breakfast.

IMG_20210718_112940 (resized).jpgIMG_20210718_112940 (resized).jpg
    #2029 2 years ago

And yesterdays "reverse sear through smoke".

img_20210717_171151 (resized).jpgimg_20210717_171151 (resized).jpgimg_20210717_183610-1 (resized).jpgimg_20210717_183610-1 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #2042 2 years ago

Smoked reverse sear yesterday.

IMG_20210731_194739 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_194739 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_195918 (resized).jpgIMG_20210731_195918 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2052 2 years ago

First I smoked this piece of pork neck for a couple of hours until it was around 70 degrees celsius, and then I let it finish in my slow cooker.
    IMG_20210807_144138 (resized).jpgIMG_20210807_144138 (resized).jpgIMG_20210807_144636 (resized).jpgIMG_20210807_144636 (resized).jpg

signal-2021-08-07-151058 (resized).jpgsignal-2021-08-07-151058 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2070 2 years ago

A Swedish classic. Korv Stroganoff.

IMG_20210816_193824 (resized).jpgIMG_20210816_193824 (resized).jpg
    #2072 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That kinda looks like butter chicken. Is it spicey?

Not originally, no. But it can be very good with some chili.

#2073 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That kinda looks like butter chicken. Is it spicey?

It basically consists of sour creme, onions, this special Swedish sausage "falukorv" and tomato puree. But there are probably as many recipies around as there are people who like to cook it.

Paging Lhyrgoif (whom I dont know at all) for his take on this delicacy.

#2074 2 years ago

Today, Bratwurst in lompe.

IMG_20210818_175412 (resized).jpgIMG_20210818_175412 (resized).jpg
    #2076 2 years ago

Yeah, I really like them. I think most sausage buns are way too sweet. And also, its what the lompe/bun carries Im interested in, not the vessel.

#2078 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Finally tracked down some scandinavian style rye bread in Australia.
    It is in Perth 3000km away so it's $16 a loaf by the time it gets here, but boy is it nice!
    Darker than the flash show it too.
    [quoted image]

That is good stuff! What you plan to eat it with? Personally I love a sliced wetboiled egg and some cured ham. Or perhaps that bacon you posted a few posts up. Mmm

1 month later
    #2173 2 years ago

A shitload of falukorv! A very spicy tomatosauce somewhere in the bottom there.

IMG_20210927_175851 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_175851 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_175947 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_175947 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_180102 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_180102 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_184843 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_184843 (resized).jpg
    #2175 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Anyone make their own sour dough breads? I’m thinking of making a starter to get going for the winter

I used to bake alot, a couple of years ago. Sour dough is by far the tastiest, however since I prefer to live by myself I find it hard to finish a loaf before it turns stale.

#2181 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Ok I gotta hear more. So after looking up falukorv, is it like bologna? Are those apples in there too?

I dont think I've ever had bologna. I have heard of it though. Yep, apples. Sour apples goes very nice with sweet/strong mustard and onions.

1 week later
    #2202 2 years ago

damn. I love a good pad thai.

Second to that, thai papaya salad.. Mmm!

#2211 2 years ago

Mashed turnips and potatoes, lots of cream and butter.

Cooking for dinner with my old parents tonight.

IMG_20211020_141035 (resized).jpgIMG_20211020_141035 (resized).jpg
    #2212 2 years ago

And the falukorv / sausage.

IMG_20211020_175833 (resized).jpgIMG_20211020_175833 (resized).jpg
    #2216 2 years ago

yep. Going fucking totally american while on vacation.

IMG_20211022_115702 (resized).jpgIMG_20211022_115702 (resized).jpgIMG_20211022_154641 (resized).jpgIMG_20211022_154641 (resized).jpgIMG_20211022_161003 (resized).jpgIMG_20211022_161003 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2254 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Thanksgiving dinner for the wife and I. I think I might’ve made a little to much
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn. I hope I get to experience american thanksgiving sometime.

3 weeks later
    #2273 2 years ago

So, this is pinnekött. "Stick meat". Its a norwegian delicacy, mostly eaten at xmas time. However, as you might or maybe not know, Im Swedish and this was totally unknown for me up until 10 or 15 or something years ago.

Basically its dried, heavily salted and (but not always) smoked lamb/mutton ribs.

My picture here was taken perhaps one hour ago, just after I started the "watering process" and I plan to post more pictures after its been watered for 24h etc until its ready for consumption.

Wiki:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnekj%C3%B8tt

IMG-20211223-WA0001 (resized).jpegIMG-20211223-WA0001 (resized).jpeg
    #2274 2 years ago

IMG_20211224_154321 (resized).jpgIMG_20211224_154321 (resized).jpgSo, this is how pinnekjøtt looks like after its been soaked in water for 20ish hours. I changed water 3 or 4 times, in order to reduce the amount of salt.

As you can see in the picture, the steam boiling process is underway.

Mmmm. Its a very distinct and some may say almost pungent smell.
    IMG_20211224_190006 (resized).jpgIMG_20211224_190006 (resized).jpg

And this above is now safely installed in my stomach.

Oops, almost forgot to add a picture of the sauce I made from the reduced leftovers of the "steaming water". All pure lamb fat with awesome smoked flavour.

IMG_20211224_185741 (resized).jpgIMG_20211224_185741 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2302 2 years ago

Lasagna today, and tomorrow and probably many days unless I bring some for coworkers.

IMG-20220131-WA0000 (resized).jpegIMG-20220131-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #2337 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I know lots of people detest pineapple on pizza but when you've had 8 beers and wanting pizza, some smoked chicken and pineapple you found in the fridge sounds good.

I like pineapple on pizza, especially if its a really hot pizza with lots of jalapeños and maybe some habanero in the tomatosauce. The sweet contrast is awesome. Damn, now Im hungry again.

#2339 2 years ago

French onionsoup with Le Gruyere today, cooked by my good friend @odinius.
    IMG_20220227_162559 (resized).jpgIMG_20220227_162559 (resized).jpg

#2341 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

You're eating soup with a fork? Can't really be called soup then can it?
    Looks tasty in any case.

Hahe, yeah, spoon and fork. Because of the bread.

#2342 2 years ago

Made a large lasagna for brunch today, since Im staying home from work due to coronasymptoms.

IMG_20220228_134530 (resized).jpgIMG_20220228_134530 (resized).jpg
    #2344 2 years ago

My comfort food, cheapest store brand fish fingers and boiled almond potatoes. Drenched in melted butter, lemonjuice and pepper. Oh, and even little OTTOs food in the background.

IMG_20220304_191539 (resized).jpgIMG_20220304_191539 (resized).jpg
    #2345 2 years ago

Fish gratin with my good buddy friden today
    IMG_20220305_171106 (resized).jpgIMG_20220305_171106 (resized).jpg

Mashed potatoes, cod, onion, shrimp, cream etc etc

2 months later
    #2362 1 year ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Many many years ago I went to Maine for a friend's graduation, but somehow did not eat a lobster roll. Finally made one for myself now.
    [quoted image]

Sorry for beeing scandinavian, but that looks like a lobsterburger? Looks damn good.

#2364 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

A burger has a patty.

Aah, I see. Around here were not so specific. If it has a top and bottom bun its a burger.

#2366 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

So a peanut butter roll is a burger there? Didn't know that.

We dont really eat much of those around here. We would probably just call it a peanut butter sandwich.

What makes something into a roll?

#2368 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

OK, rollmops on a bun? Burger or roll?
    Putting it into a roll or bun. I think in the US it's bun, but here it's bread roll.
    If it has a patty it's a burger, if it's between slices of bread it's a sandwich.
    The guys from the US call a fillet O fish a sandwich, here it's a fish burger as it has a patty and it's on a roll.
    A hamburger with no meat is a salad roll.
    Terminology different across the world, i find it interesting.

I find it confusing. And you had me google rollmops. Mmm. Love those. Little otto does too. If served on bread, we would probably call them sillsmörgås.

#2370 1 year ago

Lobster is so expensive here that.. Around 80 USD per kilo for the good stuff

#2373 1 year ago

Living lobster here is like 120 USD / kg. Insanity!

#2375 1 year ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

How much is king crab? I think it's about $45USD/lb at costco, which is why I bought the lobster claws at $15USD/lb instead.

About 1399 NOK / kilo at Meny. That is about 142 USD. Insanity. A few years ago you could probably get a project pin for two kilos of king crab.. haha

3 weeks later
    #2384 1 year ago

Preparing some meat for the slow cooker / pulled beef in 8 hours.

IMG_20220606_095255 (resized).jpgIMG_20220606_095255 (resized).jpgIMG_20220606_100200 (resized).jpgIMG_20220606_100200 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2390 1 year ago

Simple, but damn good. Pannbiff aka meat patties. I make them with some sour creme, bread crumbs, dijon and garlic. The sour creme / crumb make them very juicy

IMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpgIMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpg
    #2391 1 year ago

punkin & Shredso - What kinda spices you use for your jerky? And what cuts? What about brine?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtn-.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quarantine-cooking-thread?tu=mtn- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.