Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,416 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2038[1] (resized).jpg
    20221130_193536 (resized).jpg
    20221130_193538 (resized).jpg
    C919CD50-B88D-43F3-8C43-5C8B96F6105F (resized).jpeg
    20220707_120058.jpg
    20220706_173039.jpg
    20220705_190231.jpg
    4E6FB350-D932-496E-A67E-C47614DAA94A (resized).jpeg
    6FE217CD-246E-4D26-9574-089C10AD836C (resized).jpeg
    87635104-1075-4825-940F-617AB927EA50 (resized).jpeg
    DYkfSE (resized).png
    prawn2 (resized).jpg
    20220618_124024.jpg
    jerky6 (resized).jpg
    jerky2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 49.
    #751 3 years ago

Sous vide at 54C for 20 mins then throw on the smoker for 10 mins? That's how i'd do it anyway.

#752 3 years ago

Had to trim up the basil yesterday. So when you got got a lot of basil what do you make? PESTO!!!!!

97F07531-4ACD-4876-B7D1-5015CBCAB2BC (resized).jpeg97F07531-4ACD-4876-B7D1-5015CBCAB2BC (resized).jpegE32AD648-E09A-4E92-857C-E282872DE96A (resized).jpegE32AD648-E09A-4E92-857C-E282872DE96A (resized).jpeg
    #753 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I've never thought about smoking a lobster. I need more details....

I smoked a chicken before the lobster and used the left over fuel to cook the lobsters. Here’s what I did:

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker.

Lit a filled a chimney starter with charcoal briquettes until white hot then dumped it into the smoker. Tossed on another half chimney of fresh briquettes and let that also get white hot. Assembled the smoker and added 2 chunks of apple wood.

Put a split chicken on the top rack, smoked 1 hour then flipped and smoked another hour.

Split the lobsters and removed the green stuff. Brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled a touch of salt and pepper along with lime juice.

Removed the chicken and realized I had enough fuel for the lobsters. Put a rack on the mid level and just tossed the lobsters on. Cook temp was around 275 I want to say it took about 10 mins until the lobsters were pink and the meat tender. I brushed more garlic butter on before serving. Worked out perfectly and hope to try this again sometime. Here’s another pic of the lobsters in the smoker. I left the access door off for the lobster cook because it stokes the coals better and made good enough heat.

78BF7E1F-97AE-48FE-8A2C-20BE4ED432BA (resized).jpeg78BF7E1F-97AE-48FE-8A2C-20BE4ED432BA (resized).jpeg
    #754 3 years ago

so how long with this quarantine cooking thread go on? I am still in quarantine but working from home. Looks like I will be at home for a long time. Even with the state opening back up, still staying home. Have friends that want to hang but having a sick wife that is high risk, is not worth the risk. So I will have quarantine cooking for a long time. How about you guys? Still in quarantine?

#755 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so how long with this quarantine cooking thread go on? I am still in quarantine but working from home. Looks like I will be at home for a long time. Even with the state opening back up, still staying home. Have friends that want to hang but having a sick wife that is high risk, is not worth the risk. So I will have quarantine cooking for a long time. How about you guys? Still in quarantine?

Nopes. Norway was really early in shutting everything down, my only quarantine time has been because I got sick, together with a few others from work. I stayed home for six weeks.

Things are almost back to normal here, but of course with social distancing rules / etc in effect.

However, I see daily that people think the danger is over, and I fear what the future will bring. Norway only have 245 registered deaths due to Covid-19, until now. I hope it stays thay low, but I really much doubt it.

My homeland Sweden have 5000+, and it has me very worried. That is alot in a 10 mill population.

Im just working and staying at home, even though restaurants and pubs are open again. I also visit our pinball club, Kristiania Flipperselskap and meet the fellow clubmembers for beer and gametime.

#756 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

If I get it its over ( 64 and copd ) Wife works as a cook is my risk.

#757 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

If I get it its over ( 64 and copd ) Wife works as a cook is my risk.

What is copd?

#758 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

What is copd?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs.

#759 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs.

Sorry to hear that. Good thing you take care of yourself and remain careful.

#760 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I’m working and it’s one of our busiest springs in a long time.

#761 3 years ago

Also, I dont need a pandemic to like watching peoples home cooked meals. I love food ( eating) and cooking, and get alot of inspiration from seeing what you all are cooking.

And punkin just pushed me over the edge regarding sous vide, Ive been thinking about it the last five years but finally ordered a decent vacuumpacker and the heating / circulator device. I was gonna build my own but..

#762 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

My wife's immune system is weak and has two or three conditions that put her in the high risk category so we've been extra cautious.
    Only I go into stores to shop and I'm masked up.
    Haven't eaten out since March 15.
    No one has been into our house since then and we haven't been to anyone else's.

Feels like groundhog day everyday. The only thing that has been a positive is we're eating better. Fresh meals a lot. Not relying on pre made, quick food as much. Now that's the weather is getting better I imagine we'll be grilling a lot more.

#763 3 years ago

My wife actually fired up a cooking show during Covid. We did about 8 episodes. Check them out on this YouTube Playlist...

Has been a lot of fun. Been a great way to document family recipes for the kids. Enjoy!

#764 3 years ago

I was already in quarantine, i don't like people much.

#765 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Sous vide at 54C for 20 mins then throw on the smoker for 10 mins? That's how i'd do it anyway.

I officially hate you. Now I need to order a Sous vide thing, and bags, and all kinds of junk. The lobster started it, but they say that steaks come out better, so of course I have to try it now.

#766 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I officially hate you. Now I need to order a Sous vide thing, and bags, and all kinds of junk. The lobster started it, but they say that steaks come out better, so of course I have to try it now.

He didnt cook the lobsters in a bag in water!

#767 3 years ago

Dirk and Guss. I hear ya guys. Wife has sarcoidosis along with other stuff so I have to stay clear myself. only go to the store every couple weeks, if I think it's busy I don't go in. I've been fortunate to be able to work from home during this entire time and spare time has been working on pin and arcade projects. Last few weekends has been the yard. Just hacked down a ton of stuff this past weekend. so quarantine hasn't been all that bad. got to pins working that I've had sitting around for a long time and becoming very creative with what I get from the grocery store. if work was normal, I wouldn't have had the time to make these kind of meals that i have been posting.

iamabearsfan-I will for sure check that out. Always looking for new things to make. been watching a lot of Claudia Regalado a lot recently. Going to try some of her recipes. I also love the way she says tAco.

#768 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

He didnt cook the lobsters in a bag in water!

I thought we sorted you out on that issue last time. It's another way of transferring heat to protein, get over it.

Quoted from DaveH:

I don't believe there's a better wat to cook a steak. i haven't done the reverse sear, so can't comment either way on that. But get a big tomohawk steak two inches thick like the one a few posts above, put it in a bag with some pepper, a little oil and some thyme or oregano and cook at 54C for 2 hours then seer on a red hot grill or blowtorch.

Put it up against a steak cooked any other way and i'll tell you which is which from the photos when it's cut.

I've had at least 5 people tell me it's the best steak they've ever eaten.

The vac sealer is one of the handiest things you can have in your house. Buy bulk meat and put a single serve in a small freezer bag then put 4 or 5 in a vac bag. Each time you take a serve out reseal the vac bag. Meat will stay good for years.
    Use it for coffee, even your pot.

#769 3 years ago

Funny , we agreed to disagree.
    Get over it goes both ways .

#770 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I thought we sorted you out on that issue last time. It's another way of transferring heat to protein, get over it.

I don't believe there's a better wat to cook a steak. i haven't done the reverse sear, so can't comment either way on that. But get a big tomohawk steak two inches thick like the one a few posts above, put it in a bag with some pepper, a little oil and some thyme or oregano and cook at 54C for 2 hours then seer on a red hot grill or blowtorch.
    Put it up against a steak cooked any other way and i'll tell you which is which from the photos when it's cut.
    I've had at least 5 people tell me it's the best steak they've ever eaten.
    The vac sealer is one of the handiest things you can have in your house. Buy bulk meat and put a single serve in a small freezer bag then put 4 or 5 in a vac bag. Each time you take a serve out reseal the vac bag. Meat will stay good for years.
    Use it for coffee, even your pot.

When it comes to beef / steak I have a slightly different opinion.

Sous vide, surely it will result in s excellent result every time, and its the definitive goto for alot of meats. But it a as you said, when it comes to reverse sear.. Sous vide doesnt allow for the slow penetration of meat with smoke and it doesnt really help the maillard reaction. But might have other benefactors weighing in. Like the enhanced marinating due to vacuum.

When I get my vacuum and sous vide cooking gear in a couple weeks Im gonna do a side by side experiment. This is nothing to take lightly. This is meat!

#771 3 years ago

One of us uses the method and the other knows little about it. I'm happy being on my side of the fence and you are happy being where you are.

Can you tell me how you formed your view that the use of sous vide is not what i think it is? Have some links to information that may get me to sell my machine?
    Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you came to your dismissive view and what it consists of. Maybe i'm the one who doesn't understand.

#772 3 years ago

I guess your talking to golfingdad? Or is it me? English beeing my third language its not always easy for me with everything.

#773 3 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

My wife actually fired up a cooking show during Covid. We did about 8 episodes. Check them out on this YouTube Playlist...

Has been a lot of fun. Been a great way to document family recipes for the kids. Enjoy!

Nice job on the videos!!! I have kitchen envy btw. Keep making them!!!

#774 3 years ago

Sous vide is good with thick cuts of meat. I think the best thing I’ve cooked sous vide is corn beef brisket, 48 hours at 140F. Best corned beef ever.

#775 3 years ago

You present it as if " Its the Only and the Best " way to essentially cook anything pork, beef,mutton ,camel, seafood. and any other way is a waste of time .

#776 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Sous vide is good with thick cuts of meat. I think the best thing I’ve cooked sous vide is corn beef brisket, 48 hours at 140F. Best corned beef ever.

Please explain this to a ignorant european like me. I thought corned beef came on tin cans?

Oh, I get it. Please keep your dayjob, dont start as a comedian right now.. Hehe

#777 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I guess your talking to golfingdad? Or is it me? English beeing my third language its not always easy for me with everything.

No golfing dad

Quoted from golfingdad1:

You present it as if " Its the Only and the Best " way to essentially cook anything pork, beef,mutton ,camel, seafood. and any other way is a waste of time .

I'm sorry you've misunderstood me to such an extent.

I use many ways of cooking, i have cast iron Lodge pans, an offset stick burner, deep fryer, cold smoker, charcoal weber, oven etc. I choose the best method for the cut, the time i have available and the outcome i want.

I believe after cooking steak a lot of ways that a thick, tender, rare steak can not be cooked the same way evenly through from the edge to the center any other way. I'll put money against a well cooked sous vide steak against any other method.

I also believe that the way you can ever so slightly undercook seafood but all the way through gives it a texture that i can't acheive any other way, although i'm sure an accomplished chef could. Garlic prawns in pasta is a very good demonstration of this and if you've ever eaten juicy tender prawns with a texture you can chew till it's gone at a restaraunt i'd suggest that this was how they were cooked behind that swinging door.

I've made these judgements by experimenting and cooking different protiens in a large variety of different manners and have come to my personal favourites for most.

Ribs (beef and pork, but beef especially), which you stated can only be cooked one way, have a wondeful texture when cooked sous vide and finished off in the stick burner. They are also good just smoked as well, but i will generally use the sous vide so i only have to watch the smoker for half an hour instead of all day.

Fried foods are better cooked in a fryer, eggs are better scrambled with cream etc.

I've posted many photos of food here and few of them have been sous vide.

You immediately put down any notion of sous vide and i believe it's through ignorance and superstition, not through experience and experimentation. I believe this as you called it 'boiled meat' and that is not how it works.

If you are talking from knowledge I invite you once again to link, post photos or comparisons where you have gained the practice and experience to be able to judge..

https://kathleenflinn.com/sous-vide-vs-grilled-steak/#:~:text=The%20sous%20vide%20steak%20had,on%20the%20sous%20vide%20steak.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/why-sous-vide-is-the-best-way-to-cook-a-steak-period-w470472/

sv (resized).jpgsv (resized).jpg
    #778 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Please explain this to a ignorant european like me. I thought corned beef came on tin cans?
    Oh, I get it. Please keep your dayjob, dont start as a comedian right now.. Hehe

if you have only had corned beef in a can......man you are missing out. that canned stuff is junk!!!!

#779 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I've done a hand of pickled pork but i don't know that it was better, i preferred the pork the way my ex used to simmer, but that may be just because i was used to it (or she's a better cook than me).

#780 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

You immediately put down any notion of sous vide and i believe it's through ignorance and superstition, not through experience and experimentation. I believe this as you called it 'boiled meat' and that is not how it works.

The funny part is, I had the opposite reaction as soon as I saw it. I looked it up and thought, hmmmm, I REALLY want to try that. I grilled up some really yummy steaks yesterday, but my consistency is a little off. Sometimes I'm perfect, and other days, I just miss a little. Still yummy as all heck and the whole fam damily eats happy, but I am always striving for that perfect steak. Personally I don't care if I have to cook it in unicorn pee as long as it is yummy.

So I'm going to order this stuff, and then I'll cook a steak with it, and fling it on a hot bbq to sear. Then ... OH, I have a couple questions...

Info: I'll be trying this with NY Sirloin (still my favorite steak):

Resting. Do you rest it a different amount of time when you cook it like this?
    Trimming. Do you trim it any different? Less fat, more fat?

#781 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

if you have only had corned beef in a can......man you are missing out. that canned stuff is junk!!!!

Never had corned beef at all.. Like, hm, maybe its called something else here? Minced meat? Köttfärs?

#782 3 years ago

I mean corn beef like the big brisket style sold for Saint Paddy’s day.
    I’ll buy a few when they’re on sale and then save them in the freezer

3C2B47B7-E79F-4E70-BF8B-4B54A68EF9D8 (resized).jpeg3C2B47B7-E79F-4E70-BF8B-4B54A68EF9D8 (resized).jpeg
    #783 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I mean corn beef like the big brisket style sold for Saint Paddy’s day.
    I’ll buy a few when they’re on sale and then save them in the freezer
    [quoted image]

Aah, oh. Damn.

Fuck, strange. Now I get it. Corned as in corn fed? Since forever Ive thought it meant something else. Dunno where I got the idea it came in tin cans either. I guess it might be some early pop culture reference gone syntax error. I get alot of those, unfortunately.

#784 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Aah, oh. Damn.
    Fuck, strange. Now I get it. Corned as in corn fed? Since forever Ive thought it meant something else. Dunno where I got the idea it came in tin cans either. I guess it might be some early pop culture reference gone syntax error. I get alot of those, unfortunately.

The name comes from the way the brisket is seasoned
    https://www.foodandwine.com/news/complicated-irish-history-corned-beef?amp=true

#785 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Aah, oh. Damn.

No corned as in pumped with a saline brine. bit different to the brine used for bacon and ham, but still sodium nitrite based. It's then usually simmered with vegetables to make a tender lunch meat. often served with white sauce and boiled vegies.

Quoted from DaveH:

The funny part is, I had the opposite reaction as soon as I saw it. I looked it up and thought, hmmmm, I REALLY want to try that. I grilled up some really yummy steaks yesterday, but my consistency is a little off. Sometimes I'm perfect, and other days, I just miss a little. Still yummy as all heck and the whole fam damily eats happy, but I am always striving for that perfect steak. Personally I don't care if I have to cook it in unicorn pee as long as it is yummy.
    So I'm going to order this stuff, and then I'll cook a steak with it, and fling it on a hot bbq to sear. Then ... OH, I have a couple questions...
    Info: I'll be trying this with NY Sirloin (still my favorite steak):
    Resting. Do you rest it a different amount of time when you cook it like this?
    Trimming. Do you trim it any different? Less fat, more fat?

You don't need to rest at all as the meat hasn't been shocked and doesn't have to relax. Trimming doesn't matter either in my opinion, you can trim just the same and the temps for steak are not enough to melt the outer fat, just the internal stuff.

Other people may be able to advise better then me.

The best resource for recipes, temps and methods that go into wide ranging detail and experiment with different temps and times is Serious Eats;

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

I tend to trust most things i read on that site unless it jars with personal experience.

#787 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Cheers jaybird815 punkin and rvh Everyday I learn something.

You are welcome. Knowledge is no burden to carry.

#788 3 years ago

Need to see if you can find some corned beef there. It’s good when made right. Goes great with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Horseradish sauce is great on it too.

#790 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'm not sure if it's better, it depends on the cut of meat. It is very consistent and difficult to screw up. I find the vacuum sealer very useful. We were using that before we got the sous vide. We had a super busy day today. The wife was home for a short time around 3. Tossed the frozen vacuum sealed tips in the sous vide. Got home around 6. Fire up the grill to max heat. Patted the steaks dry, seasoned them, seared for a couple minutes per side, eating by 6:15 and they were delicious. I've done prime rib, eggs, coffee, ribs, pork chops. One of my favorites is par cooking wings, then they can be stored. Only a few minutes in the deep fryer, amazing buffalo wings.

#791 3 years ago

This years nod to the existence of the cow. Beef in black bean with stir fried noodles. Bit of Sichuan influence just because i miss Chengdu and wish i could go back every year.

It's only got beef in it cause i won some steak in a meat tray at the raffles.

bb1 (resized).jpgbb1 (resized).jpg
    #792 3 years ago

Yep got the rest of my gift and tried it out with some fried rice.

6A6E029E-45AA-46B4-B9A1-1728E7D23AAE (resized).jpeg6A6E029E-45AA-46B4-B9A1-1728E7D23AAE (resized).jpeg
    #793 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

If you are talking from knowledge I invite you once again to link, post photos or comparisons where you have gained the practice and experience to be able to judge..
    https://kathleenflinn.com/sous-vide-vs-grilled-steak/#:~:text=The%20sous%20vide%20steak%20had,on%20the%20sous%20vide%20steak.
    https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/why-sous-vide-is-the-best-way-to-cook-a-steak-period-w470472/[quoted image]

I can't comment on the Sous Vide thing since I've never done it, but if someone cooks a steak that looks like the grilled one in the picture you posted, they are doing it wrong.

This has the same edge to edge doneness as the one in your picture and was done on a smoker with a reverse sear. I'm not saying that Sous Vide isn't better, but the picture you posted is a pretty exaggerated example.

d8113b96cf8148727c0c85adcc80bc3e230e53d4 - Copy.jpgd8113b96cf8148727c0c85adcc80bc3e230e53d4 - Copy.jpg

#794 3 years ago

Not my pic mate, just got it from google images. I wasn't trying to post proof as the proof is subjective. Just my views and experiences and those others have expressed to me.

#795 3 years ago

Prepping my wife's bday dinner. Cheesesteaks and ceasars

20200623_163954.jpg20200623_163954.jpg20200623_164409.jpg20200623_164409.jpg
    #796 3 years ago

Ok sous vide guys. I can pick up a used anova with the bucket and cook book for $40. Said they didn’t use it much. Is it worth getting?

#797 3 years ago

Shit yeah, they are $200+ here in Australia.

For your first try i'd suggest beef ribs. 68C for 36 hours before a short smoke on the smoker for 1/2-1 hr.

You'll get a win with the family and the confidence to play around more. A lot of the cooking forums suggest confit duck and eggs and stuff to learn, but the ribs or prawns or steak are always a hit and easy.

Seafood 54C 20mins
    Steak 54C (depending on your preference) 2 hours.

Buttered potatoes whole small peeled spuds, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, sprig of rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper. 87C 1 hr

#798 3 years ago

Right on. I’ll see if I can get it before others

#799 3 years ago

Best way to max it out i've found is a 5gal cooler. It still sits steady as a rock in that volume and you can fit 10-20lb of food in there.

Bit of foil around the gap seals it but you could do it much less ghetto than i have if you wished, fill the lid with foam or some such.

sv3 (resized).jpgsv3 (resized).jpg

sv4 (resized).jpgsv4 (resized).jpg

#800 3 years ago

It smells so fuking good

20200623_192042.jpg20200623_192042.jpg
    There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quarantine-cooking-thread/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.