(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I was just told it's a parts issue. Thanks for cross threading me too!

That's ok, I knew you would be here in this thread sooner or later

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Herp derp JJP? Get a pinball from them with no ghosting.

No ghosting at all, the ink just chips off the PF and Jack will tell you to go pound sand.

#53 7 years ago

Well I think the current delays at Stern stem primarily from the makers of their playfields not producing good enough quality playfields. It's tough because the maker of the PFs should be required to produce very good quality work to get paid. They (CGC & FUN) are not stepping up to the plate putting Stern in a tough spot.

Taking it in house (or paying Mirco to do them) is probably the best solution but that would take a lot of development time & initially increase development cost. Once ironed out cost (to Stern) would be reduced and hopefully the quality would be solid. I hope it gets worked out and Stern can get back to zipping these pins out to pinheads worldwide!

This is all just my gut feeling on it I have no inside info on this.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

It's tough because the maker of the PFs should be required to produce very good quality work to get paid. They (CGC & FUN) are not stepping up to the plate putting Stern in a tough spot.

Do we know this?

This is all just my gut feeling on it I have no inside info on this.

Guess not.

For all we know, CGC is providing them will new PF's and that is why the LE's stopped until the new PFs arrived.

#55 7 years ago

I have no problems with inserts on any of my Stern games, including SMVE. I do have some slight scuffing on SMVE, but I can't even see it unless the light hits it just right. It will probably buff out. My Stern games are all HUO in a finished basement.

#56 7 years ago

My new MET pro has one insert ghosting that's very noticeable. Kind of bugs me but not enough to make a big stink over it. While getting my MET, noticed a SMVE in the showroom had bad ghosting on a lot of inserts.

#57 7 years ago

All I want is for this green survey bar to be longer.

#58 7 years ago

I have a Met pro built 4/16 with zero ghosting

#60 7 years ago

95 votes !!!
Whhoooooooaaaaaaaa

#61 7 years ago

Like other buyers with "ghosting / crazing / insert lifting or other play field problems" I have contacted Stern (through the forms on their website and directly to Patrick Powers) and explained the situation (+pictures).

I asked them politely to at least give an update on what Stern is doing with the play field issues. I can understand that they have to look deeper into the situation before they can come with a statement on how they're going to solve this, but just no reaction is slap in the face of us buyers!

This weekend I'm going to contact my distributor and ask him what he's going to do about this.

Are there any other buyers with problems who contacted Stern that have a reaction? Or is Stern ignoring us?

#62 7 years ago

Taking it in house is probably the best solution but that would take a lot of development time & initially increase development cost. Once ironed out cost (to Stern) would be reduced and hopefully the quality would be solid. I hope it gets worked out and Stern can get back to zipping these pins out to pinheads worldwide!

im just waiting to see how long it takes Stern to respond. Official announcement or something.? leaving the loyal customers hanging? so what are distributors roles and obligations in this hot mess?

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from sygu:

95 votes !!! Whhoooooooaaaaaaaa

You can say what you want but fact is the Green bar is still low and the cyan bar keeps going up. I don't know about you but I'd call that a trend. And that trend hasn't subsided since the first vote. Sure this is a blind vote and people could sway it as they see fit. I hope people are honest when they vote.

Would I wish for the green bar to be 99% and the cyan bar 1%.... yes. Would I wish that all the "playfield with no issues" options would crush the "playfield with issues"...yes But currently doesn't seem to be the case.

I want to make an educated purchase. Not just hope that Stern will do something if there is a problem. This entire thread would not have been necessary if Stern would just release a statement saying they are aware of the situation and will take care of their customers. It's been well over a month now so there are no reasons for the lack of communication we are seeing.

Right now Stern is saying squat and the distributors are playing the "innocence" card but turning to Stern for answers and apparently getting none or at least they are not sharing.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

im just waiting to see how long it takes Stern to respond. Official announcement or something.? leaving the loyal customers hanging? so what are distributors roles and obligations in this hot mess?

Quoted from marvinmax:

I asked them politely to at least give an update on what Stern is doing with the play field issues. I can understand that they have to look deeper into the situation before they can come with a statement on how they're going to solve this, but just no reaction is slap in the face of us buyers!
This weekend I'm going to contact my distributor and ask him what he's going to do about this.

Contact your distributor first. That is what they are there for. Patrick and Chas, etc. are not the right people to contact about cosmetic issues like this imo. They can help you troubleshoot and fix things on your machines, help out with broken parts/plastics. They are not going to be able to authorize you a whole new playfield, or new pin, or comment on Stern policy with an issue like this.

Distributors are Stern's customers. They are the ones placing the orders. Where most people buy one or two pins off of a distrib, a distrib buys 10, 20 100, whatever from Stern. They can talk to the sales guys and managers and can get a lot more traction in Stern with issues like this. A good distributor will be on this and will hear something about it long before any one person emailing Stern tech support would.

I also wouldn't hold my breath about some sort of big announcement from Stern. They might, I know nothing about what they are thinking, but historically I don't remember it happening. Not with the magnet boards in Met, Aux boards in X-men LE, cannon motors in AC/DC. They might post a service bulletin on their own website, but they aren't in the habit of taking out press releases to highlight problems.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Contact your distributor first. That is what they are there for. Patrick and Chas, etc. are not the right people to contact about cosmetic issues like this imo. They can help you troubleshoot and fix things on your machines, help out with broken parts/plastics. They are not going to be able to authorize you a whole new playfield, or new pin, or comment on Stern policy with an issue like this.
Distributors are Stern's customers. They are the ones placing the orders. Where most people buy one or two pins off of a distrib, a distrib buys 10, 20 100, whatever from Stern. They can talk to the sales guys and managers and can get a lot more traction in Stern with issues like this. A good distributor will be on this and will hear something about it long before any one person emailing Stern tech support would.
I also wouldn't hold my breath about some sort of big announcement from Stern. They might, I know nothing about what they are thinking, but historically I don't remember it happening. Not with the magnet boards in Met, Aux boards in X-men LE, cannon motors in AC/DC. They might post a service bulletin on their own website, but they aren't in the habit of taking out press releases to highlight problems.

It's not in there benefit to address this at large with a statement on Facebook or there website then people who didn't even know something was wrong are now requesting a new playfield.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

It's not in there benefit to address this at large with a statement on Facebook or there website then people who didn't even know something was wrong are now requesting a new playfield.

Agreed but they should at least tell something to their distributors which in turn, when asked, can provide an answer to questions.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Early GB buyer. Got it in time for a launch party (May 12th). PF is stamped April 20th IIRC. Mine does not show ghosting that I have seen.

My ST Premium is also April, and has no issues. I was thinking a vote with dates might be more telling. Anyone keeping track and know the earliest known incidence?

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

My ST Premium is also April, and has no issues. I was thinking a vote with dates might be more telling. Anyone keeping track and know the earliest known incidence?

This is why I requested people put that information in their posts but no one has so it's hard to gauge when the problem started and when it stopped / will stop.

#69 7 years ago

Have any of the newer Metallica's with metal back boxes been affected by this?

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Contact your distributor first. That is what they are there for.

apparently.

some customers recently, havent had much luck so far with their "distributors".
but lets see what happens, hopefully that gets sorted out.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

apparently.
some customers recently, havent had much luck so far with their "distributors".
but lets see what happens, hopefully that gets sorted out.

Thats because distributors aint getting any luck out of Stern.

#72 7 years ago

I have contacted my distributor, he is aware of the problem and has tried to contact Stern about it, but even he as a distributor doesn't get an answer from Stern....... I just can't believe this! It seems to look like Stern is going to sit this problem out...... If they really are going that way, then we as buyers have no other option then to look at legal options. Let's hope that is not necessary, but I'm sure going that way if there's no other option..... For this kind of money I can't accept a bad quality play field like this.

#73 7 years ago

It seems like the vast majority of playfield issues are isolated to games made in the past several months. Since Stern unfortunately won't tell customers and even distributors what is going on we have to connect the dots ourselves...

We know that in the past several months Stern has changed playfield manufactures and is now trying to make playfields in house. Personally, I would hold off buying a Stern game for a year while they sort out these issues and work out all the bugs with making playfields in house.

Until then I'm sure Stern thinks they can just stay silent and keep selling people games.

184xl8_(resized).jpg184xl8_(resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Have any of the newer Metallica's with metal back boxes been affected by this?

Yes, several people on this forum have said that their recently built Metallica Pro LEDs have some ghosting inserts.

I was planning to buy one... Now? Not.

#75 7 years ago

Waiting a year might help but odds are the bad playfields would still be in inventory and not disposed of. 'If?' it takes playing to find the problem, stuff in inventory won't even appear to have an issue. So you wait a year and then playfield #??? which is in the set of bad batches gets used. Hopefully playfields sitting around will start ghosting so they don't get used.

#76 7 years ago

Iron Man VE (Dec '15 build) - Playfield is perfect...not even a dimple.
Spider VE - Playfield is perfect - not even a dimple
Got LE - Playfield is perfect
KISS LE - playfield is perfect...I have a cliffy for the scoop
Star Trek LE - playfield is perfect...lots of dimples and cliffy on VUK
Transformers LE - playfield is perfect

Ghostbusters LE - I will report back in a week or 2, once it comes in.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Yes, several people on this forum have said that their recently built Metallica Pro LEDs have some ghosting inserts.
I was planning to buy one... Now? Not.

That sucks. Do you have any links to pics of the ghosting on Metallica? I've seen the pics of Spiderman VE, GOT, and Ghostbusters, some of which are in this thread.

I just ordered a Metallica Premium... crossing my fingers.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Iron Man VE (Dec '15 build) - Playfield is perfect...not even a dimple.
Spider VE - Playfield is perfect - not even a dimple
Got LE - Playfield is perfect
KISS LE - playfield is perfect...I have a cliffy for the scoop
Star Trek LE - playfield is perfect...lots of dimples and cliffy on VUK
Transformers LE - playfield is perfect
Ghostbusters LE - I will report back in a week or 2, once it comes in.

hoping that perfect record continues.

#79 7 years ago

Stern got back on my emails, for the woofer not working I should do a factory reset. I did, still no sound. I can get a new board as the CN4 connector is probably the error. That will have to go through my distributor. Also they said they are looking into the playfield issues.
The funny thing is that under european law the distributor is not the one providing the guarantee. It it always the producer who will have to provide the new parts. So I will talk to my distributor, but that is just the way Stern wants this. It looks to me that Stern is not completely on track with EU customer laws.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

It looks to me that Stern is not completely on track with EU customer laws.

They don't have to be.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer's best interest.

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

As a general rule, you will only be able to ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Stern got back on my emails, for the woofer not working I should do a factory reset. I did, still no sound. I can get a new board as the CN4 connector is probably the error. That will have to go through my distributor. Also they said they are looking into the playfield issues.
The funny thing is that under european law the distributor is not the one providing the guarantee. It it always the producer who will have to provide the new parts. So I will talk to my distributor, but that is just the way Stern wants this. It looks to me that Stern is not completely on track with EU customer laws.

Stern builds the machines.
Distributors buy the machines from Stern.
The end user buys the machines from the distributor.

Distributors get a discount from Stern, partly because they are supposed to be handling the end user relationship.

So while yes, Stern is the one providing the warranty, you have to go through the distributor in order to get the warranty service, just like you would have to go through a local dealer if you need service on a car. In some cases for small parts Stern may allow you to skip the distributor, but for things like boards, etc. they generally like you to go through the distrib.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Playfield is perfect...not even a dimple.

If your games have 0 plays this is the only way this statement is true. If you have played 1 game, I guarantee you have dimples.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

That sucks. Do you have any links to pics of the ghosting on Metallica? I've seen the pics of Spiderman VE, GOT, and Ghostbusters, some of which are in this thread.

No ghosting on met from what ive seen snd heard but some inserts jeweling was a little off but not bad at all.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The funny thing is that under european law the distributor is not the one providing the guarantee.

thats not true

you have the guarantee where you have bought the machine.

So the distributer must find a solution or must take the game back, cash back

#85 7 years ago

It would be greener if owners can vote more than once...

Smve here, no issues
GotLE , no issues
GBLE, no issues, yet...

Quoted from flashinstinct:

All I want is for this green survey bar to be longer.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

It would be greener if owners can vote more than once...
Smve here, no issues
GotLE , no issues
GBLE, no issues, yet...

I chose the option for multiple selections

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

thats not true
you have the guarantee where you have bought the machine.
So the distributer must find a solution or must take the game back, cash back

But sending the game back comes with a 15% restocking fee plus you pay to ship it back right?

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

But sending the game back comes with a 15% restocking fee plus you pay to ship it back right?

15% restocking fee? its not like you've just changed your mind. your returning a defective product.

why isnt the distributor responsible for taking the machine back? then sorting out the mess with Stern themselves about what to do with it.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

No pics sorry, just taking other pinsiders at their word.

#90 7 years ago

This is the bad insert on my new MET pro. Not sure what to think of it. Could be worse but wish I could fix it.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

Technically it can be fixed. You could prick it with an exacto knife and that some uv curing pen and fill the void and then polish and wax. Should you have to go through that with a new product? No.

#92 7 years ago

I wonder how long Stern will keep on producing GB's. I want one, but I will only order when I have confirmation these problems are under control. Would be sad if that is after GB went out of production.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

I wonder how long Stern will keep on producing GB's. I want one, but I will only order when I have confirmation these problems are under control. Would be sad if that is after GB went out of production.

Waiting on Stern to have all their problems fixed is like buying the latest Apple product, a new one is always around the corner, so you might as well just cross your fingers and buy what you want.

#94 7 years ago

I've got some ghosting. Is it a bad thing....I suppose....am I going to suicide or lose sleep over it......No. I don't put general life under the microscope so why should I start over a stupid pinball machine. I am having major fun playing this title and that's what counts. If I take a good, hard look at my wife, I'm sure I'll find some problems too. Get one, enjoy it, and forget about all the drama.

Btw I wish most people took their jobs so seriously and to the nth degree then maybe I'd be obsolete.

#95 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gozer-worshipping-wontt-fix-this-problem

I've played this machine. I was there when it was removed from the box (NIB) and it had one badly ghosted insert, the rest were fine. In less than 150 games you've now got that same insert sinking (you can tell by simply feeling the playfield), a lot more ghosting on other inserts, the clear coat cracking around some of the ghosting inserts and the clear coat cracking running from one insert to another across the playfield. You can see all of this in the photos. I love the game and I am a bit of a Stern fan but I'm definitely staying away from Stern machines/playfields with similar build dates, it is a massive lottery to what you will get.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from fatbeerdrinker:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gozer-worshipping-wontt-fix-this-problem
I've played this machine. I was there when it was removed from the box (NIB) and it had one badly ghosted insert, the rest were fine. In less than 150 games you've now got that same insert sinking (you can tell by simply feeling the playfield), a lot more ghosting on other inserts, the clear coat cracking around some of the ghosting inserts and the clear coat cracking running from one insert to another across the playfield. You can see all of this in the photos. I love the game and I am a bit of a Stern fan but I'm definitely staying away from Stern machines/playfields with similar build dates, it is a massive lottery to what you will get.

Such problems I understand are issues but I think many others are going your way of thinking without good reason. Sorry to hear about yours and hope it can be solved via a new pf

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Such problems I understand are issues but I think many others are going your way of thinking without good reason. Sorry to hear about yours and hope it can be solved via a new pf

Without good reason? Can you explain how inserts dropping, pf cracking after 150 games is not a good reason to be careful about build dates on stern games.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Good question from John1210! I have a GBLE with 3 ghosting inserts, after 35 plays. Am I entitled to go that way then? Or is 3 ghosting insert but not a crack in the play field not bad enough? Not knowing if the problem gets worse over time (maybe after years...) So if you buy a new car and it has a dent in it after minor normal use, you don't go back to the car dealer?

Let's be very clear here, Stern has made and delivered pinball machines to customers with production failures in the play field in the last couple of months / half year or so. They can't ignore that and have to come with a solution! It's really annoying that Stern isn't willing to respond to any of us with play field issues.....

I won't accept this and if Stern doesn't come up with a solution, I give my GBLE back to my distributor. If this turns out bad for us affected customers (who are demanding a solution), then I will never buy a Stern again believe me! Sorry, but I'm really upset getting this kind of quality at a price of almost €10.000,- and being ignored by the manufacturer. Shame on you Stern, shame on you!

#99 7 years ago

I don't have a machine with insert issues, but I think the people acting like those affected are just whiners for voicing their concerns here need to stfu. The problem may start as a minor cosmetic blemish, but likely won't stop there. If the playfields are getting so much worse after only 50-100 plays, how are they going to look after 1000? 5000? 10000? I'm sure the inserts will start redirecting the ball and affecting gameplay, not to mention increased wear on the clear and eventually the artwork. Owners have every reason to be concerned and I'm glad that so many have stepped up to make the rest of us better informed.

#100 7 years ago

If folks want stern to really do something then the first thing they need to do is talk to there distributor. If you haven't purchase a game yet then do like I did... Ask for a written 1 year playfield warranty in case you get a dud. I still haven't heard back from my distributor if he wishes to honor such a warranty but worst comes to worst. I don't buy nib and stern and distributor lose a sale.

Those who shrug at this problem will be the first to bitch when they try to sell their games and people substantially lower the price because of these problems.

People can choose to gamble or not but should know the risk if they get caught in this shitty situation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,675 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Niwot, CO
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
PinShades

$ 49.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.