Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 719 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    16%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    19%
  • My GB playfield has issues 124 votes
    43%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 19 votes
    7%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 59 votes
    20%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 72 votes
    25%

(Multiple choice - 291 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 141 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 10 months ago

As much as ghosting sucks, I have soften my opinion on it. I have a The Lost World Jurassic Park and it has several inserts with ghosting. It's 20 years old and they never got any worse. My fear was over time they might just keep growing and growing. It sucks to see these on a brand new pin but I can see Stern's side on this. I wouldn't mess with a playfield swap over that.

#702 10 months ago

Thx for posting the pictures Libtech. IMO, it doesn't look very significant and it wouldn't worry me much at this point. YMMV. Keep and eye on it and good luck. I hope you can still enjoy the game and the ghosting doesn't progress more significantly.

#703 10 months ago

I can, and do still really enjoy playing it The problem is I know that no game lasts forever in my collection; and when I do sell, games with issues tend to go for alot less than examples in exellent shape.

So the question is should I be responsible to take a loss of value when I go to sell because of a defective playfield or should Stern provide a playfield with no issues so that I do not?

#704 10 months ago

Hey libtech, your ghosting is really close to none. I’d be more worried about the lowered inserts and the fine line you see in the black outline around the inserts. There you’ll get some serious wear in 6 months or so... then again the lowered inserts may have introduced that minor ghosting

#705 10 months ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Hey libtech, your ghosting is really close to none. I’d be more worried about the lowered inserts and the fine line you see in the black outline around the inserts. There you’ll get some serious wear in 6 months or so... then again the lowered inserts may have introduced that minor ghosting

Lowered inserts? I don't see anything like that at all in those pictures. I also don't think the ghosting is bad enough to warrant a playfield swap either personally.......at least right now. It very well may never get any worse either. Obviously it kind of sucks but the ghosting is hardly noticeable. As far as the resale value goes because of the ghosting, I don't think that argument is going to hold any water in this case considering how minor it is.

#706 10 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lowered inserts? I don't see anything like that at all in those pictures.

got (resized).jpg
got2 (resized).jpg

Hopefully it's just a trick of light

#707 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hopefully it's just a trick of light

I still don't really see a sinking insert. Th OP would be able to tell easy enough though. Curious to swe what he says.

Edit: I do see now what you are talking about, the darker line right? Be interesting to see if he says if it's sunken or not.

#708 10 months ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

In order to try and be proactive, I'm starting this thread for people with ghosting, crazing, ribbing, inserts lifting and other issues on their new GB, GOT, SMVE etc.. (Pro, Prem. LE's). This might help Stern in the long run to maybe detect what is happening, which batch of playfields are affected and perhaps detect other factors not considered.
In your post just state your game / playfield # / playfield manufacturing date / and game completion date, along with the issues of your playfield and with your location. I've also added a pole to also judge the affected ratio.
Please take the poll only if you own a machine. You can select more than one option.
If you have another game not listed here that arrived with defects please flag it here.
I'm also trying to get a good sense of how severe the problem is to make an educated purchase decision in the near future.

Would be nice to have a picture of each one of these issues to reference in the thread. This way we'll all know what to look for.

#709 10 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Edit: I do see now what you are talking about, the darker line right? Be interesting to see if he says if it's sunken or not.

Yeah the darker line...agreed it's just a pic so we don;t really know.

C'mon OP, run your finger down that thing and let us know.

#710 10 months ago

Working nights, just got up.

There is definately a small lip around it, but I do think its solid, and not sinking. And not out of line when compaired to every other insert. (Maybethe playfield was slightly poorly leveled, or just from expansion/contraction from moisture changes and heat)

Anyways, so it appears Im being unreasonable, but would you be happy reciving a playfield like this? Either from stern, or if someone sold it to you without telling you?

Unfortunately my purchases are heavily influenced by resale value, when I buy nib or used, I plan for losing xxx amount off the bat and Im ok with that, but when xxx becomes xxxx because of manufacturing defects?

Im still out on new Sterns, I have not had these issues with any of my other pins either made by JJP, or Heighway, (or any of my other Sterns to be fair). But if they are not willing to support their product for even smaller issues Im not willing to pay the premium for a new game and take a gamble on develping cosmetic issues and losing money down the road because of them.

#711 10 months ago
Quoted from libtech:

And not out of line when compaired to every other insert. (Maybethe playfield was slightly poorly leveled, or just from expansion/contraction from moisture changes and heat)

Anyways, so it appears Im being unreasonable,...

I think you are completely reasonable. I'll check my GOT PF against yours. Last time I checked I only had a little ghosting started in the PFx inserts

1 month later
#712 9 months ago

Hi,

Can you tell me who makes the playfields of stern pinball machines ?

#713 9 months ago
Quoted from Cooky77950:

Hi,
Can you tell me who makes the playfields of stern pinball machines ?

Steve Ritchie....that SOB!!

#714 9 months ago

When you guys get new PFs are they populated or do you have to transfer all the stuff onto the new PF?

#715 9 months ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

When you guys get new PFs are they populated or do you have to transfer all the stuff onto the new PF?

Stern has been sending out populated playfields.

3 weeks later
#716 8 months ago

Was just told by Stern the replacement program ended last year...

Anyone get a GB replacement recently? I reported it over a year ago.

#717 8 months ago
Quoted from kell:

Was just told by Stern the replacement program ended last year...
Anyone get a GB replacement recently? I reported it over a year ago.

If you reported it then it should be on record. Who did you report it to?

#718 8 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you reported it then it should be on record. Who did you report it to?

My distributor. I agree and hope you are right, just not sure how Stern will handle. I would have bought a SW by now had they addressed this.

#719 8 months ago
Quoted from kell:

My distributor. I agree and hope you are right, just not sure how Stern will handle. I would have bought a SW by now had they addressed this.

I would definitely be in contact with your distributor if i were you to make damn sure that you haven't been conveniently forgotten about, and if you have been then i would let everyone on Pinside know about it for the rest of my life.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 25.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
7,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Plantation, FL
$ 11.99
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside