(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg
There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 7 years ago

In order to try and be proactive, I'm starting this thread for people with ghosting, crazing, ribbing, inserts lifting and other issues on their new GB, GOT, SMVE etc.. (Pro, Prem. LE's). This might help Stern in the long run to maybe detect what is happening, which batch of playfields are affected and perhaps detect other factors not considered.

In your post just state your game / playfield # / playfield manufacturing date / and game completion date, along with the issues of your playfield and with your location. I've also added a pole to also judge the affected ratio.

Please take the poll only if you own a machine. You can select more than one option.

If you have another game not listed here that arrived with defects please flag it here.

I'm also trying to get a good sense of how severe the problem is to make an educated purchase decision in the near future.

#2 7 years ago

Ghost busters will probably have ghosting. Lol

#3 7 years ago

NOTHING !
all my playfields are perfect.

#4 7 years ago

None of those issues at all on my GoT Prem:

Playfield: "#086 of 260"
Game Mfg Date: Jan 20, 2016

#5 7 years ago

Ghostbusters LE 242/500 Has issues ont the playfield. The issues is growing every day.

#6 7 years ago

I think you meant Crazing not Grazing... But then again, My Sterns are out in the back yard Grazing on the grass as I type this!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

I think you meant Crazing not Grazing... But then again, My Sterns are out in the back yard Grazing on the grass as I type this!

fixed lol

#8 7 years ago

My met premium and mmr has lifting on the drain edge hole. Idk if that counts for anything.

#9 7 years ago

I like the crazing look.

#10 7 years ago

Following

#11 7 years ago

Although poll is very early, the current numbers don't exactly reassure me. Mind you most people that have no problems might not be enticed to click on the link. I want a GB Pro but I wont buy NIB if these problems are this common. Hopefully in the next few days it will be 100 / 1 kind of ratio.

#12 7 years ago

there is no problems on Stern Pinball...

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from sygu:

there is no problems on Stern Pinball...

Ahhhh... the Jedi mind trick.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Although poll is very early, the current numbers don't exactly reassure me. Mind you most people that have no problems might not be enticed to click on the link. I want a GB Pro but I wont buy NIB if these problems are this common. Hopefully in the next few days it will be 100 / 1 kind of ratio.

Looks like you have about a 50/50 shot at getting a good one.....you a gambler?

#15 7 years ago

Problems with my GBLE playfield to:
- Ghostbusters LE 208/500 some ghosting inserts and getting worse;
- Date of manufacture: May 26 2016;
- Manufacturing date of the playfield: May 13 2016.

Already contacted stern for warranty..... I can't imagine that Stern isn't going to do anything, they have to fix this! Such a shame, Ghostbusters is so much fun.... Stern hit it out of the park with this one, but why can't they deliver a quality product?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Looks like you have about a 50/50 shot at getting a good one.....you a gambler?

50/50 almost sounds as good as not getting the ring of death on the Xbox 360.

I really don't like what I'm seeing right now in the polls. I was hoping for a 1/10 ratio. Only a bit of time will tell the tale.

#17 7 years ago

LE #207 has problems. No ghosting yet but a 'ribbed' playfield. And my woofer does not work, but that will be an easy fix. The rest seems ok. Apart from the strange 5 issues you get when opening the menu while there are no issues.

#18 7 years ago

Of course it is!
It's a Stern.

My Kiss has some, my Xmen LE has some, all the GOT's and GB's I've seen have some.

All Stern pins last 4 years seem to have some ghosting, I'm just not that concerned by it.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Of course it is!
It's a Stern.
My Kiss has some, my Xmen LE has some, all the GOT's and GB's I've seen have some.
All Stern pins last 4 years seem to have some ghosting, I'm just not that concerned by it.

I guess this makes it all okay

#20 7 years ago

My buddies Stars playfield looks excellent. Manufactured late 1978.

#21 7 years ago

My whole LE is a ghost since I have no idea when it'll arrive.

#22 7 years ago

If everyone that took the poll could write Manufactured date of playfield / playfield # and assembly date to help pin point the problematic playfields it would help everyone in the long run.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Not true.. My MET (2013) IMVE (2014) no ghosting... Seems the majority are European games???(extreme temps in the shipping container????)

#24 7 years ago

50/50 almost sounds as good

keep in mind that many people dont even look close enough to see insert ghosting and other wont admit it if they did. I am guessing more people are voting no that likely have or will have some insert issues on GB. It is definately the worse I have seen. I have played 6 different examples and 4/6 had some ghosting.

#25 7 years ago

Why would they not admit? Not like you can hide these defects from future buyers

#26 7 years ago

Because they are Stern fanboys would be my only guess

#27 7 years ago

GOT pro with 6700 plays

image1_(5)_(resized).JPGimage1_(5)_(resized).JPG

image2_(1)_(resized).JPGimage2_(1)_(resized).JPG

image3_(resized).JPGimage3_(resized).JPG

#28 7 years ago

Kiss pro with 30k+ plays. I have not noticed any ghosting on my Ghostbusters.. yet. Every SMVE I see on route have tons of inserts ghosting.

IMG_1612_(resized).JPGIMG_1612_(resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago

Yeah Chris with 6000 plays plus and 30k plus in games I wouldn't feel too bad but still some guy as an ST pro on here with close to 14k plays and not one sign of ghosting.

You guys run a business so I guess it doesn't affect you as much. Thanks for the info.

#30 7 years ago

I have an IMVE with 60k+ games with no ghosting inserts or clear chipping by the trough. 100, 10k, or 100k games they shouldn't be doing that.

I expect shit like broken plastics and ramps, but not ghosting inserts and clear coat issues so quickly in the ownership. After a couple of years, whatever. Kiss is less than a year old and GOT is less than 6 months old.

#31 7 years ago

Come on folks. I know there's more tha 59 people that received new games. Use the poll. I want to get a real overview of the playfield problems. Help the community out by voting. I'd rather see positive numbers but if they are negative then that helps too.

#32 7 years ago

Current polls values
GB with playfield issues 55.5%
SMVE with playfield issues 68.75%
GOT with playfield issues 38.71%

Want more accuracy in this poll....then vote. While I get that this poll is conducted on a pinball fanatics' forum..these numbers are worrisome.

#33 7 years ago

I have a GoT LE, I haven't noticed any ghosting, but I do have quite a few inserts with crazing

#34 7 years ago

I just took a look at the outhole on my GoT (~1K plays). I had not thought this area to be a wear concern, but I did see a few very tiny chips in the clear along that edge. Nothing like the photo above . Applied a mylar patch and called it good.

#36 7 years ago

Stern games in my collection:

SM - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
Tron - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
AC/DC Premium - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
IM - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
GB LE - No playfield wear, no insert issues (already have over 300 games on it).

Either I'm lucky, or people with issues are unlucky. I hope it's the latter, because I'd hate to be the exception to this sort of problem.

#37 7 years ago

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS :

Current polls values
GB with playfield issues 55.5%
SMVE with playfield issues 68.75%
GOT with playfield issues 38.71%

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern games in my collection:
SM - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
Tron - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
AC/DC Premium - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
IM - No playfield wear, no insert issues.
GB LE - No playfield wear, no insert issues (already have over 300 games on it).
Either I'm lucky, or people with issues are unlucky. I hope it's the latter, because I'd hate to be the exception to this sort of problem.

To be fair, I believe only 1 of your pins qualify: GBLE. These issues that have popped up recently seem to be from games manufactured in the past 10 months.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from sygu:

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

You're right as of this moment things have changed

Current polls values
GB with playfield issues 57.14%
SMVE with playfield issues 68.42%
GOT with playfield issues 41.17%

Don't get me wrong. I want these numbers to be low. But they are currently high. And like mentioned before...people that have no issues are less likely to vote but still these numbers are staggering. I was hoping for like 5-10%.

#40 7 years ago

Don't get me wrong. I want these numbers to be low. But they are currently high. And like mentioned before...people that have no issues are less likely to vote but still these numbers are staggering. I was hoping for like 5-10%.

Don't trust the numbers in a blind poll. Even if they were overwhelmingly positive, people often vote with an agenda. If the real numbers were as high as the polls were saying, we'd be seeing MUCH more of a fuss about this. But still, even 5-10% rate would be unacceptably high. I can see 2% slipping by quality control, but if 1 in 20 or 1 in 10 were getting out with issues, then there's a problem with inspection. We haven't seen a large enough sample to know what numbers are like of bad playfields compared to the run sizes. Heck, we don't even know how many games are out there, because Stern doesn't release that information.

tl;dr - numbers in voting are probably inflated by fanboys/haters on both sides, but Stern is definitely letting too many bad playfields out into the wild.

#41 7 years ago

I ain't afraid of no ghost-ing. Stern will send everyone who has these problems a particle beam and a ghost trap that will immediately trap and remove these issues. This is part of the fun and the reason you paid EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS for a pinball machine.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Was just told by my Dist that LE's are delayed until August and Prem's will follow near end of August. Start charging Stern 6 months lost interest.

There seems to be an issue,

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

There seems to be an issue,

I was just told it's a parts issue. Thanks for cross threading me too!

#44 7 years ago

Early GB buyer. Got it in time for a launch party (May 12th). PF is stamped April 20th IIRC. Mine does not show ghosting that I have seen.

#45 7 years ago

don't own a machine yet (so i didn't cast a vote) but Stern Brought 3 tables "Fresh off the factory floor" to Comic-Con san diego. I played on all 3 quite a bit and here was my impression of the playfield conditions:

Pabst Blue Ribbon: Neat game. Playfield was perfect. The angle on it is super low so you would notice any little imperfection if it had any. The ball feels like its moving at a snails pace compared to other modern games. smooth as silk.

Ghostbusters Pro: So far as I could tell the playfield was perfect. Though I will note that something felt 'weird' with the way the ball was acting on the field. The ball would often be traveling very fast, then rebound off a post, or deadflip off a flipper, and the ball would come to a complete stop or nearly so 3-4 inches from the rebound. like it was getting a wicked back spin, and suddenly getting traction on it. It was happening so often that people were complaining about the 'Magnets' under the playfield messing up the game. (which, we all know, there are no magnets under the pro) I wonder if this was just a 'squeeky' new playfield coat behavior that will fade in time? In any event, there were zero noticable problems with inserts or any other playfield imperfections.

Spiderman: The new spiderman was a ton of fun, and was a great contrast in difficulty to Ghostbusters (Spidey is far more forgiving) But those inserts.... man. they were a mess. This is a brand new machine and I could visibly see the lumpy bumpy texture of the inserts rising up. The balls path was constantly being effected by them. In every other respect the game was beautiful and played amazing. but if i had bought that machine brand new I would be removing/re-installing those inserts the first free weekend I had time to do so. It would have been a bigger issue on a less forgiving machine, but it is still a problem.

I'm going to be ordering a Ghostbusters pro at the end of the month. I'll check back in with this thread and cast a vote when it arrives. I like that this thread was started with the spirit of proactive feedback and not internet rage. There's some people on this forum who complain so much about trivial things I have to hold myself back from replying: "Well if STERN's product is so poor why don't you buy from a better pinball company?" then the inevitable followup: "oh... right..."

Respect STERN. they are LITERALLY the only reason we get new pinball at all.
cheers,

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Respect STERN. they are LITERALLY the only reason we get new pinball at all.
cheers,

Herp derp JJP? Get a pinball from them with no ghosting.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I was just told it's a parts issue. Thanks for cross threading me too!

Ya , the Playfield part !

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Herp derp JJP? Get a pinball from them with no ghosting.

Everybody has issues. No use throwing anybody under the bus or propping anybody up on a pedestal. The real test is how the companies deal with the problems. We're still waiting to see how Stern reacts, though in the past they've done well. JJP has a solid record of doing right by customers. But man, both companies have been having to fix a lot of issues after shipment.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Ya , the Playfield part !

You know what happens when you assume!?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Plastics
Sam's Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.95
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Greenville, SC
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alabaster, AL
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 719 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.