(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

im just waiting to see how long it takes Stern to respond. Official announcement or something.? leaving the loyal customers hanging? so what are distributors roles and obligations in this hot mess?

Quoted from marvinmax:

I asked them politely to at least give an update on what Stern is doing with the play field issues. I can understand that they have to look deeper into the situation before they can come with a statement on how they're going to solve this, but just no reaction is slap in the face of us buyers!
This weekend I'm going to contact my distributor and ask him what he's going to do about this.

Contact your distributor first. That is what they are there for. Patrick and Chas, etc. are not the right people to contact about cosmetic issues like this imo. They can help you troubleshoot and fix things on your machines, help out with broken parts/plastics. They are not going to be able to authorize you a whole new playfield, or new pin, or comment on Stern policy with an issue like this.

Distributors are Stern's customers. They are the ones placing the orders. Where most people buy one or two pins off of a distrib, a distrib buys 10, 20 100, whatever from Stern. They can talk to the sales guys and managers and can get a lot more traction in Stern with issues like this. A good distributor will be on this and will hear something about it long before any one person emailing Stern tech support would.

I also wouldn't hold my breath about some sort of big announcement from Stern. They might, I know nothing about what they are thinking, but historically I don't remember it happening. Not with the magnet boards in Met, Aux boards in X-men LE, cannon motors in AC/DC. They might post a service bulletin on their own website, but they aren't in the habit of taking out press releases to highlight problems.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Stern got back on my emails, for the woofer not working I should do a factory reset. I did, still no sound. I can get a new board as the CN4 connector is probably the error. That will have to go through my distributor. Also they said they are looking into the playfield issues.
The funny thing is that under european law the distributor is not the one providing the guarantee. It it always the producer who will have to provide the new parts. So I will talk to my distributor, but that is just the way Stern wants this. It looks to me that Stern is not completely on track with EU customer laws.

Stern builds the machines.
Distributors buy the machines from Stern.
The end user buys the machines from the distributor.

Distributors get a discount from Stern, partly because they are supposed to be handling the end user relationship.

So while yes, Stern is the one providing the warranty, you have to go through the distributor in order to get the warranty service, just like you would have to go through a local dealer if you need service on a car. In some cases for small parts Stern may allow you to skip the distributor, but for things like boards, etc. they generally like you to go through the distrib.

1 year later
#680 6 years ago

That sucks. Don't know who your distrib is, but my guess is having a good one who is going to go to bat for you is a big part of the battle and depending on the distrib I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Might be worth emailing Stern (through Chas/Patrick maybe?) directly before giving up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.