IMG_7925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8150 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8149 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8148 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240612-062102.png
IMG_8101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0374 (resized).png
There are 2,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 58.
#2701 5 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Changing the flipper mechs will change the entire feel of the game. Inauthentic. If you love Williams mechs so much, go play a Williams game.

Who changed it to Williams? I put the earlier bally pawls in which is what the original question was as well.

#2702 5 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Who changed it to Williams? I put the earlier bally pawls in which is what the original question was as well.

I did the same years ago. Think I like the flipper play maybe a bit more, but probably all in my head. Didn’t notice a major difference, maybe just a bit looser??? In the end it was just easier to work with, fewer parts that wear out and cheaper. Hated those plastic guides and it seemed like I was replacing some flipper part every month.
On the Hardtop, I went that route and also went full Yopsicle. Love it. Play is better than ever. Still like FG more than any other pin - even more than my Pro Godzilla, which is yet another great game! Once done with your hardtop conversion, I predict you’ll be a happy camper.

#2703 5 months ago

First, thank you to Quench , barakandl and slochar for helping me get my FG running. I did the weebly lamp board for running the LED's. Now that it is up and running I wanted to share some of the mods I added.

First, I ordered a micro display from Sparky which they updated for FG video and added that to where Ming is displayed on the view screen. May need to make some more black poster board to shield it from the LED's under that area. Plays on a loop. Hope the video works, if not I put some screenshots in. I ran the wire and zip tied onto existing looms. The red and black wires go up to the backbox and tie into the solenoid board. I just added some alligator type clips and used the 5v test points for it. If the video is not allowed can remove it (admins)

https://www.facebook.com/100001288658496/videos/334526476154065/

Second, bluebomber has a great wood beast mod. I added some Comet matrix lighting. Not sure I will keep the red, may try orange to match extra ball light it is tied to or green. Cut and bent a homemade "cliffy" bracket to hold the matrix light and used an existing screw to mount it.

Lastly, another homemade cut and bent "cliffy" that uses existing screw holes to hold a bracket (did not want to 3m tape to the wood rail). This was to add lighting to the rest of the woodbeast plastic, show off Baron, and light the shooter lane into the rollovers. More Comet matrix bulbs using an adjacent socket. I just did cool white to match the other LEDs but could try some colors.

More to come on this one, needs a cabinet repaint, I have a hardtop for it, new backglass, and topper. Will likely get the geetoh board next. I am one happy pathetic earthling!

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2704 5 months ago

Anybody ever see this? It's a little metal bulb shield...factory??? Was the only bulb that had it.

Resized952024012095161258951705799708474 (resized).jpgResized952024012095161258951705799708474 (resized).jpg
#2705 5 months ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

Anybody ever see this? It's a little metal bulb shield...factory??? Was the only bulb that had it.[quoted image]

Normal for that location but suppose to be facing away from Ming.

#2706 5 months ago

Anybody ever see this? It's a little metal bulb shield...factory??? Was the only bulb that had it.[quoted image]

I use a Comet flex lamp here, which is basically the same idea.

#2707 5 months ago

Anybody ever see this? It's a little metal bulb shield...factory???

YES!!! It is Factory! It is a very rare part.

#2708 5 months ago

I figured it was factory, neat little touch, thanks for the info guys

#2709 5 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

YES!!! It is Factory! It is a very rare part.

The EM Flip Flop has them as well.

#2710 5 months ago

Getting closer to showtime!

Pinside_forum_7990395_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7990395_0 (resized).jpg
#2711 5 months ago

Traded Flash Gordon away toward an Ultraman. I'll miss Flash, absolutely the hardest pinball machine I've ever played. I only did the 5x Bonus collect w/ 2/3x running twice in the 10 months I owned it. Shortest ball times of any Solid State ever, the bottom playfield was designed by Satan himself. 2nd to only Centaur for the best pinball of the 80s imo.

#2712 5 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just sharing what might be the first Flash Gordon harness done from scratch.
No I'm not interested in doing another, this one sucked enough thanks.
Fathom next.
[quoted image]

Hats of to you. Super nice work.

#2713 5 months ago

I’m getting ready to populate a new CPR playfield, and I noticed that I could feel the edges of the inserts. I looked around and noticed others having this and it needs to be clear coated again. Has anyone had to do this with their CPR playfield? I’m looking for some advice.

#2714 5 months ago

While we're on the subject of CPR playfields, has anyone had issues swapping the white star buttons in to the rollover inserts? On mine all the stars seem to sit slightly high, not totally flush with the pf. I'm planning on buying all new stars and I'm wondering if there's a slight size difference between the originals and later versions? Or is it just that the clear has dripped in and is causing the star to sit high? Also, the original rollovers were red but CPR used orange which is annoying, but nothing can be done about that.

#2715 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

While we're on the subject of CPR playfields, has anyone had issues swapping the white star buttons in to the rollover inserts? On mine all the stars seem to sit slightly high, not totally flush with the pf. I'm planning on buying all new stars and I'm wondering if there's a slight size difference between the originals and later versions? Or is it just that the clear has dripped in and is causing the star to sit high? Also, the original rollovers were red but CPR used orange which is annoying, but nothing can be done about that.

You have to clean out the extra clear coat that made the hole smaller. This was the process I used

Took only a few minutes per hole but super easy. I tried using just small files but it took forever and started to lift the clear on mine and left some nasty finishes. Get small files and a Dremel with the right attachments is the way to go.

used
Dremel diamond point 7134
Dremel 5/32 Chainsaw sharpening stone 453
Dremel nylon brush wheel
Precision Needle files (just search amazon)

#2716 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

You have to clean out the extra clear coat that made the hole smaller. This was the process I used Took only a few minutes per hole but super easy. I tried using just small files but it took forever and started to lift the clear on mine and left some nasty finishes. Get small files and a Dremel with the right attachments is the way to go.
used
Dremel nylon brush wheel

Wow, I initially cringed when I saw you start up that dremel and plunge it into the star rollover insert. Although it seems to have worked well, the process you show in the video. Would have been good to see you pop the star in place in the playfield and exercise it up and down to prove your work.

#2717 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Wow, I initially cringed when I saw you start up that dremel and plunge it into the star rollover insert. Although it seems to have worked well, the process you show in the video. Would have been good to see you pop the star in place in the playfield and exercise it up and down to prove your work.

not video expert but I assure you it worked great, try doing one by hand..no fun. I just remembered I had to dig deep and used a process someone else showed but didn't list the bits used so I found my own and made this video and listed the items I used.

#2718 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

not video expert but I assure you it worked great, try doing one by hand..no fun. I just remembered I had to dig deep and used a process someone else showed but didn't list the bits used so I found my own and made this video and listed the items I used.

You did a great job, thanks for taking time to do it and share your work.

#2719 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

You did a great job, thanks for taking time to do it and share your work.

absolutely, and trust me I was shocked and horrified when I realized I had to do this to a new playfield.

#2720 5 months ago

If you are going to be at Pintastic in April you will be able to play this along with Seawitch from Scratch.

Pinside_forum_7993809_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7993809_0 (resized).jpg
#2721 5 months ago

gdonovan what cabinet is your Flash Gordon in?

#2722 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

gdonovan what cabinet is your Flash Gordon in?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition

My Universal Bally/Stern cabinet which was originally Data East Laser War.

I hope to have Seawitch, Flash Gordon and Fathom from scratch at Pintastic.

So far I have done Seawitch, Centaur, Quicksilver and Flash Gordon with Fathom being next and Star Trek after with a rules rewrite and custom sound.

#2723 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

You have to clean out the extra clear coat that made the hole smaller. This was the process I used Took only a few minutes per hole but super easy. I tried using just small files but it took forever and started to lift the clear on mine and left some nasty finishes. Get small files and a Dremel with the right attachments is the way to go.
used
Dremel nylon brush wheel

Wow, yours were much worse than mine. On my inserts I used an x-acto knife to clean out a few slots that were tight, but for the most part the star insert moved freely. My problem is the star does not sit deep enough to be flush with the top of the pf, it's maybe 1/32" too high in the center. Guess I'll have to do some additional adjustments. Thanks for the video!

#2724 5 months ago

Anyone know if it's possible to purchase the ball guide (buffer) wires M-121-59 and M-121-53? Or maybe I can just purchase the rods and bend myself?

#2725 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Anyone know if it's possible to purchase the ball guide (buffer) wires M-121-59 and M-121-53? Or maybe I can just purchase the rods and bend myself?

I had to make my own from wire stock. Marco sells some and bending jig. Just search "wire stock". double check the thickness needed though, I think I used 12-WS-090 (.094).

#2726 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

I had to make my own from wire stock. Marco sells some and bending jig. Just search "wire stock". double check the thickness needed though, I think I used 12-WS-090 (.094).

I used stainless welding rod from welding store, far cheaper than buying from Marco.

#2727 5 months ago

Looking for the 5 rollover wireforms used in Flash Gordon. I have a few wireforms from other games but they are too wide to fit in a Flash Gordon playfield. Attached is a picture of one that I pulled out of my FG earlier today. Any leads on where to buy them would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3515 (resized).jpgIMG_3515 (resized).jpg
#2728 5 months ago

If anyone is interested there are some detailed notes in my build thread about making a harness for Flash Gordon and how some things work.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/35#post-7996377

#2729 5 months ago
Quoted from rack-em-up:

Looking for the 5 rollover wireforms used in Flash Gordon. I have a few wireforms from other games but they are too wide to fit in a Flash Gordon playfield. Attached is a picture of one that I pulled out of my FG earlier today. Any leads on where to buy them would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image]

I could use a couple of these for my Big Game as well.

#2730 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I sacrificed a white plastic star piece to test fit the star rollover assemblies.
By cutting the stem off... if the star piece can move freely in the base, then for the
most part a new white star piece could be installed and the point switch
could be remounted and fine tune switch adjustments.

#2731 5 months ago

How do I tell which lamps are general illumination on the playfield?

#2732 5 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

In general, the controlled lamps with have one bare wire running from socket to socket, and one thinner wire that goes into the harness for the ground at the scr on the lamp driver board.

The GI lamps are usually just a parallel run of bare wire, with occasional areas of an insulated wire used.

You could also pop out either the GI fuse or the controlled lamps fuse to see the difference visually.

#2733 5 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

In general, the controlled lamps with have one bare wire running from socket to socket, and one thinner wire that goes into the harness for the ground at the scr on the lamp driver board.
The GI lamps are usually just a parallel run of bare wire, with occasional areas of an insulated wire used.
You could also pop out either the GI fuse or the controlled lamps fuse to see the difference visually.

I have my playfield all disassembled and I replacing the non GI lamps with Yoppsicles. I took a lot of photos I'll look through those.

#2734 5 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Pretty simple; use the Yoppsicles for for all the inserts and star-rollovers, everything else is GI.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 173407 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 173407 (resized).png
#2735 5 months ago

My issue with the star-rollovers (on the CPR pf) was that they did not sit flush due to extra clear coat dripping into the inserts. To solve this I ended up using a small grinding bit to remove some material from the bottom of each star's legs (tedious but worth the effort). The other options would have been to file down the top of each star (which makes them flat, see pic) or grind out the extra clear coat in the center of the inserts (way more scary if you screw up).

Screenshot 2024-01-27 174335 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 174335 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 174413 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 174413 (resized).png
#2736 5 months ago

Wow, what a difference!

Screenshot 2024-01-27 174634 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-27 174634 (resized).png
#2737 5 months ago

So funny how the launch roll-overs had the "WHEN LIT" completely worn off and painted over. Also wonder which were the correct original colors, did my original pf yellow and change color so drastically?

#2738 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

So funny how the launch roll-overs had the "WHEN LIT" completely worn off and painted over. Also wonder which were the correct original colors, did my original pf yellow and change color so drastically?

When you populated your CPR did pre-drill the dimples before installing the screws?

#2739 5 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

When you populated your CPR did pre-drill the dimples before installing the screws?

For the Yoppsicles and GI sockets I did not (just used an Awl to make a starting indentation). All other hardware I have been pre-drilling and will continue.

#2740 5 months ago
Quoted from ita47:

How many of you have ditched the linear flippers and converted them to the older non linear style, or is this considered sacrilege? I am considering converting mine while I have it apart to install the Hard Top.

Hell no. Ditched linear's on my Xenon, FG and my 1981 EBD is next.

#2741 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Pretty simple; use the Yoppsicles for for all the inserts and star-rollovers, everything else is GI.[quoted image]

Incorrect. The star roll overs on the right are all controlled lamps.

Only the two on the top left are GI string.

#2742 5 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If anyone is interested there are some detailed notes in my build thread about making a harness for Flash Gordon and how some things work.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/35#post-7996377

Very well done and helpful. Thanks

#2743 5 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Incorrect. The star roll overs on the right are all controlled lamps.
Only the two on the top left are GI string.

You can still use the Yoppsicles for the two GI star-rollovers on the left. And my statement is correct.

#2744 5 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

You can still use the Yoppsicles for the two GI star-rollovers on the left. And my statement is correct.

Everything else is "GI" implies all the star roll overs are controlled is my point, they are not.

It's a vaguely misleading reply.

#2745 5 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Everything else is "GI" implies all the star roll overs are controlled is my point, they are not.
It's a vaguely misleading reply.

Look, I'm in no way trying to be misleading when helping out another member, and this is silly. I stated "use the Yoppsicles for all the inserts and star-rollovers, everything else is GI"; everything that is not an insert or a star-rollover is GI, is it not? But I get what you're staying - Enochsmoken asked how to identify which lamps on the PF are GI and my statement does not perfectly answer that question.

#2746 5 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I sacrificed a white plastic star piece to test fit the star rollover assemblies.
By cutting the stem off... if the star piece can move freely in the base, then for the
most part a new white star piece could be installed and the point switch
could be remounted and fine tune switch adjustments.

That's a very simple solution, thanks for posting that.

#2747 4 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

used
Dremel nylon brush wheel

Wow great video! Thanks for sharing. I have a Bobby Orr Power Play playfield from CPR that has 10 roll overs and they are almost filled completely with clear. I have really been dreading having to cut all that clear out. I will give your method a try for sure!

#2748 4 months ago

I finally decided to get back on my FG project. I sanded and cleared my playfield this weekend in preparation for the HardTop. This playfield had rodents living on it at one time so I wanted it sealed before putting the HT on. I am hoping to get it installed this week. I will try to post updates as I go.

IMG_6623 (resized).jpegIMG_6623 (resized).jpeg
#2749 4 months ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have a Bobby Orr Power Play playfield from CPR

I've been through that nightmare on CPRs Power Play cleaning out the buttons, not fun.

#2750 4 months ago
Quoted from ita47:

Wow great video! Thanks for sharing. I have a Bobby Orr Power Play playfield from CPR that has 10 roll overs and they are almost filled completely with clear. I have really been dreading having to cut all that clear out. I will give your method a try for sure!

Strikes and Spares is another one! Yiiiikes!!!

IMG_1496 (resized).jpegIMG_1496 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Troxel Repair

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
There are 2,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.