IMG_7459 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_8224638_3942151 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8224638_3942150 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
MPU_FlashGordon.jpg
IMG_7925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8150 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8147 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,889 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 58.
#2851 20 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Correct, my problem is with the center target on the 3-bank.

Ah, I stand corrected. It’s either my eyesight or my memory that’s going - possibly both! LOL

#2852 20 days ago

arzoo One suggestion i haven't seen mentioned is to flip the back plate (the part with the channels and where the targets screw onto) for the drop target assembly.

I had the same problem with the same target bank after doing a rebuild. Turned out that plate had a slight curvature or something...just enough that it would allow that "Link" to intermittently come out of the slot/guide and cause the drop target to stick up. Flipping that plate immediately corrected the problem in my case, might be worth a look on yours--especially if you recently rebuilt it. The plate is symmetrical, which can allow it to be installed backwards from the way it had originally been installed.

Pic for reference, though it's a 4-bank it shows the plate I'm talking about:
Screenshot_20240612-062102.pngScreenshot_20240612-062102.png

#2853 20 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

On Bally drops, there’s an L shaped bracket with a slot in it that holds the arm in place. Without it, or if it is damaged, the arm will behave as described. You should be able to find the parts number in the parts manual. Pinball Resource had them years ago if you need a replacement.

I don't think this bracket is used on the 3-bank upper pf. There's another thread here on pinside with a guy having the same symptoms on a Mystic, but he had re-assembled the back plate incorrectly and that was causing the problem. I've noticed I can manually push any of the drops high enough that the swivel arm can be moved laterally out of the channel which makes me wonder if the tip of the meta has worn down a bit from constantly pushing against the leaf switch? Maybe I need to replace that part, hmmmm.

#2854 20 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

arzoo One suggestion i haven't seen mentioned is to flip the back plate (the part with the channels and where the targets screw onto) for the drop target assembly.
I had the same problem with the same target bank after doing a rebuild. Turned out that plate had a slight curvature or something...just enough that it would allow that "Link" to intermittently come out of the slot/guide and cause the drop target to stick up. Flipping that plate immediately corrected the problem in my case, might be worth a look on yours--especially if you recently rebuilt it. The plate is symmetrical, which can allow it to be installed backwards from the way it had originally been installed.
Pic for reference, though it's a 4-bank it shows the plate I'm talking about:
[quoted image]

I'll look into this, thanks for the suggestion.

#2855 17 days ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I watched a YouTube video where a guy added a shorter spring which pulled the target forward in addition to the spring that pulls the target down.

That was probably my video! It's worth repeating, because that target is important to the game, and I think just about everyone has problems with it.

#2856 17 days ago

I was just sliding my playfield into place and lost power completely, I musta bumped something, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me . Everything still looks fine, any ideas what might of happened ‍♂️
I feel like something might have touched/nicked something close to the flippers under the playfield . Sweating trying to diagnose this (I’m pretty new to these older games

Edit. Blown fuse Will try and aquire another fuse

#2857 17 days ago

Did a little draft of drop target logos , pretty happy with them will center stickers, print better quality and clear coat when I replace the drops

IMG_8148 (resized).jpegIMG_8148 (resized).jpegIMG_8149 (resized).jpegIMG_8149 (resized).jpegIMG_8147 (resized).jpegIMG_8147 (resized).jpegIMG_8150 (resized).jpegIMG_8150 (resized).jpeg
#2858 16 days ago
Quoted from DavesThinkTank:

That was probably my video! It's worth repeating, because that target is important to the game, and I think just about everyone has problems with it.

Dat be da one!

Thanks for helpin' a brutha out!!

#2859 16 days ago

Loving my new FG., was watching a video of some gameplay and noticed mine is missing the background sound , the one that gets more intense as game play continues ! Voice and other sounds all work..any ideas how I might attempt to fix this ?? Seems important

#2860 16 days ago

Sound settings see your manual. Default is off for some reason ... Setting 18 to 3 is usually the full package

#2861 15 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sound settings see your manual. Default is off for some reason ... Setting 18 to 3 is usually the full package

Yup. Thank you.what a difference !! It seems the reason is settings are resetting after being off for a day or so, like extra ball settings at least, I’ll find out tomorrow if the sound settings reset..I don’t think it has a battery or nvram installed,but I don’t know how to tell .
Anyway, thank you fir the settings info,I now see it in the manual

#2862 15 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

I don’t think it has a battery or nvram installed,but I don’t know how to tell

Post a clear picture of your MPU board, the memory/battery area is at the bottom of the board around the middle.

#2863 15 days ago

Only picture I have till I get home

IMG_7925 (resized).jpegIMG_7925 (resized).jpeg
#2864 15 days ago

That's just regular 5101 ram I don't see any battery or capacitor (I assume that large white thing is a ceramic resistor or a reflection of something??)
Will not keep settings.

edit, brain fart typed cap instead of resistor there....

#2865 15 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

I assume that large white thing is a ceramic cap

I'm betting someone replaced the 82ohm 1 watt resistor with a ceramic 10 watt resistor!

#2866 15 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

I'm betting someone replaced the 82ohm 1 watt resistor with a ceramic 10 watt resistor!

Sorry, what exactly am I looking for ?

#2867 15 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Sorry, what exactly am I looking for ?

The chip at U8 on your MPU board is a 5101 RAM chip that requires a battery to keep it powered so your settings are remembered when the game is off.
You do not have a battery connected to the + and - terminal locations on the board. Someone has previously removed the battery.

The ceramic resistor was just something slochar and I were commenting on since it's non standard. It is not important.

MPU_FlashGordon.jpgMPU_FlashGordon.jpg

#2868 15 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

The chip at U8 on your MPU board is a 5101 RAM chip that requires a battery to keep it powered so your settings are remembered when the game is off.
You do not have a battery connected to the + and - terminal locations on the board. Someone has previously removed the battery.
The ceramic resistor was just something slochar and I were commenting on since it's non standard. It is not important.
[quoted image]

Wow, thank you so much for your response. Hate to ask, but what kind of battery do I need,and how do I connect it ? Sorry,my first SS game,learning curve. Again,thank you so much

#2869 15 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Wow, thank you so much for your response. Hate to ask, but what kind of battery do I need,and how do I connect it ? Sorry,my first SS game,learning curve. Again,thank you so much

I would personally look to get an NVRAM upgrade so you don't have to worry about battery damage in the future.

https://www.pinballrom.com/product-page/nvram-5101

#2870 15 days ago

Yeah just grab nvram it's a pop in on that board.

#2871 14 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

what kind of battery do I need,and how do I connect it ?

The $5 solution is to install a memory capacitor. Here's a video:

#2872 14 days ago
Quoted from DavesThinkTank:

The $5 solution is to install a memory capacitor. Here's a video:

and where exactly would I be able to aquire one of these ?

#2873 14 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

and where exactly would I be able to aquire one of these ?

You can get them on Amazon. Just look for "Memory Capacitor 5.5V 1.5F". Or any of the usual electronics supply places. I usually go to mouser.com, but only if I have enough other purchases to make the $20 shipping worth while! The video has more info that may answer questions.

#2874 14 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yeah just grab nvram it's a pop in on that board.

The only way to go far as I'm concerned.

#2875 13 days ago

Another low cost alternative is a button battery board like Frank over at TNT sells. I've used a couple of these. They offer minimal leakage risk, are easily replaceable, and should last for many years. https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2876 12 days ago

Getting nvram tomorow thank you all.. another issue has joust started happening,it doesn’t make sense to me . When I start a game or start a new ball in in play,one and just now 2 of the drops will drop automatically!! 50 percent of the time,and is usually a different target,always the top target in the bank (bottom inline) anybody ever have this problem ? Excited to keep settings high score tomorrow. Thanks in advance y’all

#2877 12 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

Getting nvram tomorow thank you all.. another issue has joust started happening,it doesn’t make sense to me . When I start a game or start a new ball in in play,one and just now 2 of the drops will drop automatically!! 50 percent of the time,and is usually a different target,always the top target in the bank (bottom inline) anybody ever have this problem ? Excited to keep settings high score tomorrow. Thanks in advance y’all

Check D/T shape. If bowed, they will intermittently drop.

#2878 12 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Check D/T shape. If bowed, they will intermittently drop.

They seem fine,it’s only at the start of a ball,and not consistently at all,also not intermittently. I’ll have a closer look at the shape tomorrow, don’t think that’s the case here,the ledges are all good as well,already checked those

#2879 12 days ago

Bally drop targets wear over time as do the springs that hold them in place. I make replacing the springs a must on my games if I suspect the existing ones are original..

#2880 11 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

When I start a game or start a new ball in in play,one and just now 2 of the drops will drop automatically!! 50 percent of the time,and is usually a different target,always the top target in the bank (bottom inline) anybody ever have this problem ? Excited to keep settings high score tomorrow. Thanks in advance y’all

I think one possibility for the problem may be because you have a mix of some correct Bally & non-Bally targets installed, The 2 targets in question that are dropping when reset are not Bally targets. The target at the top on the 4 bank is a Stern target & at the top of the 3 bank another brand target. The inlines look like Bally targets.

You can identify which are the Bally targets as they have a slight lip on the back side as well as the bigger front lip, the Stern targets have a overhanging lip on the sides

Not sure about the odd ball target at all on the 3 bank, but the Stern targets can be used ok but have to have had the straight section below the lip filed off nicely to be able to latch onto the edge of the bracket - that may be where it's a rough job done & not a nice sharp 90 degree edge to latch. I would replace with Bally targets anyway to start with as they are readily available. The four bank top target not resetting may be twisted as well or just not latching nicely from a rough mod or both.

Pinside_forum_8224638_3942151 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8224638_3942151 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8224638_3942150 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8224638_3942150 (resized).jpgIMG_7459 (resized).JPGIMG_7459 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).JPG

#2881 11 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I think one possibility for the problem may be because you have a mix of some correct Bally & non-Bally targets installed, The 2 targets in question that are dropping when reset are not Bally targets. The target at the top on the 4 bank is a Stern target & at the top of the 3 bank another brand target. The inlines look like Bally targets.
You can identify which are the Bally targets as they have a slight lip on the back side as well as the bigger front lip, the Stern targets have a overhanging lip on the sides
Not sure about the odd ball target at all on the 3 bank, but the Stern targets can be used ok but have to have had the straight section below the lip filed off nicely to be able to latch onto the edge of the bracket - that may be where it's a rough job done & not a nice sharp 90 degree edge to latch. I would replace with Bally targets anyway to start with as they are readily available. The four bank top target not resetting may be twisted as well or just not latching nicely from a rough mod or both.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome. Thank you for this information, much appreciated. This is gonna sound wild, but I noticed the inline target was cracked and bending,so I replaced it with what I think maybe a stern target (will check later) but ever since replacing it,it’s the ONLY target that goes down at every ball start,I’ve only had time to play 3 games,but all 3 of my 5 ball games with extra balls,consistently the first inline would drop beginning of every ball,only that target . Will play a few more games when I get home to confirm consistency,then hopefully replace the inline with a proper target . Will confirm later and thanks again for that info !!

Edit
Got home , changed inline target,it was the wrong one. And played 3 full games with no issues ! Thank you

IMG_8264 (resized).jpegIMG_8264 (resized).jpegIMG_8266 (resized).pngIMG_8266 (resized).png
1 week later
#2882 4 days ago

I cannot seem to be able to find a new set of these, mine are beat up and making the ball hop to the flipper any home remedies ? Maybe these plastic ones fit ? Much Prefer the metal ones.
Thanks in advance

IMG_8312 (resized).jpegIMG_8312 (resized).jpegIMG_8323 (resized).jpegIMG_8323 (resized).jpeg
#2883 4 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

I cannot seem to be able to find a new set of these, mine are beat up and making the ball hop to the flipper any home remedies ? Maybe these plastic ones fit ? Much Prefer the metal ones.
Thanks in advance
[quoted image][quoted image]

I picked up a nice set of no-hop ones from Cliffy a few years ago:
https://passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

I don't see Flash Gordon listed on that page now for some reason, but maybe try reaching out to him to confirm availability.

#2884 4 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I picked up a nice set of no-hop ones from Cliffy a few years ago:
https://passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm
I don't see Flash Gordon listed on that page now for some reason, but maybe try reaching out to him to confirm availability.

Flash Gordon is listed with Eight Ball Deluxe on the page you linked and they can also be found on the FG page. Just be aware that there is another thread on Pinside right now mentioning that Cliffy is way way behind on orders and people are waiting on things ordered last fall, so unless he has these in stock it could be a while.

https://passionforpinball.com/flash_gordon.htm

billrz I too have a bit of a hop issue. You can try your best to adjust the guides and screw it down but it's certainly still noticeable on mine. I might have to put an order in and just get these when I get these.

#2885 4 days ago
Quoted from Smack:

Flash Gordon is listed with Eight Ball Deluxe on the page you linked and they can also be found on the FG page. Just be aware that there is another thread on Pinside right now mentioning that Cliffy is way way behind on orders and people are waiting on things ordered last fall, so unless he has these in stock it could be a while.
https://passionforpinball.com/flash_gordon.htm
billrz I too have a bit of a hop issue. You can try your best to adjust the guides and screw it down but it's certainly still noticeable on mine. I might have to put an order in and just get these when I get these.

I just adjusted the rails and it’s much much better !!

#2886 4 days ago
Quoted from billrz:

I just adjusted the rails and it’s much much better !!

Even with the Cliffy ones I find I have to readjust and tighten them to prevent hop after a few hundreds of games.

#2887 3 days ago

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but people were posting their modified targets. I design these myself using playfield photos or internet images. Then I use photo software to clean them up, print them on glossy photo paper, laminate with clear packing tape, and attach with double-sided tape (double-sided duct tape if they refuse to stick under fire). Princess Aura is on the single drop target, because I really feel this game needs more Princess Aura! I particularly like my forest-obstacle theme, with snakes, scorpions, and quicksand. The Wood Beast at the back is from a photo of the playfield. You need to add a washer on the round targets to get a flat surface to attach to. I have a number of YouTube videos going over my processes.

20240629_112140 (resized).jpg20240629_112140 (resized).jpg20240629_112236~2 (resized).jpg20240629_112236~2 (resized).jpg20240629_112258~2 (resized).jpg20240629_112258~2 (resized).jpg
#2888 3 days ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Is it possible to adjust the strength of the ejection from the center hole?
The down eject is so hard that the ball flies into the pop and into the glass and then on the surrounding plastics. In the up eject it's not as bad but sometimes it launches into the drop target pretty hard.

Hey, @digitaldocc! You probably fixed this a year ago, but I was going through old posts and found your request. I had the same issue. Replacing the coils with the right size didn't entirely fix it. I added a potentiometer to fine tune the up-kicker (bottom left of photo). I made a video of course!

#2889 3 days ago

What are the chances someone might have a NOS/CPR playfields they don't need any longer?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Milwaukee, WI
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,889 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.