IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1322 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

What color digits were the original FG displays? Orange? Red? Something else?

All Bally games of that era used the gas plasma orange displays. Some have filters in front of them so they can appear red (centaur 2) but they are still orange digits.

1 week later
#1335 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

First pic is from Power87 second is from CPR's website, third is a FG Hardtop in the plastic.

So the power87 one is CPR's new digital process print - do you like the way that one looks as that's likely what you're going to receive from CPR, not the one pictured on the website - I don't think it looks bad either, just different.

There's a lot of variants in the way things were printed and came out even among original playfields - differing shades, etc. For instance I remember Eight Ball Deluxe's playfield's so-called white being a cream color, which is why I bought the IPB one way back when. Everyone else seems to put this as stark white, which looks off to me - but still looks good and I'd be happy with it anyway.

I was considering getting the FG playfield as well even though I don't have the game yet. Been looking on and off casually for a while.... likely the last 80s game I'm looking for.

2 weeks later
#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

So, I burned and installed 2532's to replace my original proms on the S & T. It still sounds like "Truea Dell Earthling" when the game ends. All other speech and sounds are fine. Maybe my hearing is just bad....

Do you have the 5200 or the 5220 chip on the S&T? Speech is formatted for the 5200.

See this video:

3 months later
#1555 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Last question (I think). Completing the drops on the right lights extra ball, shooting it turns the insert off, but no ball is awarded. I dont see anything in the dips, maybe I am missing an option?

options 16-17 control the extra ball control, not the dips see page 4a in the manual

1 week later
#1561 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

My question: should there be one long connector on the top right or two smaller connectors, as my game currently has.

One long connector.

Try great plains electronics if they still have them.... .100 style.

#1569 3 years ago

Someone tightened them too much and the shaft splayed out trapping it in the pawl. It could also be that the bat didn't have the indent.

Also, you should replace the nails on the sling, not only blocks ball traps, they also hold the plastic up and prevent a really fast ball from pushing the rubber in too far, resulting in a weak sling.

2 months later
#1652 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Can you accumulate bonus beyond what's displayed in the playfield (the circle that counts up to 10)?

No, but if you get playfield multiplier and collect it it's 25x

5 months later
#1787 2 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

an I use a 1N4007 there? Any ideas? Thanks hmm, maybe it’s dirty. I’ll check

yes you can use 1n4007 there
it's probably dirty though

Clean it but look at the plating - if it's not gold the contacts need to be replaced (or the whole switch). When the gold plating is gone the switch will not be reliable at all and FG will get very confused as to status of the drop

2 months later
#1828 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

FLIPPER TROUBLE.
My flippers will not flip during the solenoid test, all the other solenoids work. I have 43VDC on the coil. How can I Test them.
Thanks,
Brad

Hold flipper buttons in flipper in solenoid test only pulses the relay

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Your telling me to hold the flipper buttons during the solenoid test to see it they work?

Yep there's no cpu control of the flippers only manual

6 months later
#1934 1 year ago
Quoted from hd60609:

The in-line drops. Drop 1-bonus... all good. Drop 2 - 2X lights... all good. Drop 3 - 3X light AND the extra ball lights. When the rear target is hit and the Xtra ball is supposed to light, it actually turns off as it was "ON" while hitting the 3rd drop.

All inlines down and the orange extra ball should light to tell you it's ready to collect. Hit the back stand-up and the inline orange extra ball should go off and same player shoot again lights on the playfield between the flippers and on the back glass.

1 month later
#1986 1 year ago

Tap passing is really easy on the linear flipper mech.

#2007 1 year ago

Yes, someone added multiball to flash gordon a while ago although I don't remember what came out of it. They did it all with hardware.

Where else besides the center hole could you add multiball? Behind the inlines would require memory inlines to get the ball out.

#2020 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

How do you build up the saucer value in the game?
[quoted image]

4 bank

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
4 months later
#2068 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Check your scoring switch on that single drop target in the upper PF. I bet it is almost closed and making contact when the R Flipper(s) fire.

Does the drop physically drop itself as well? That happens on mine occasionally from vibration. It's a PITA to adjust, too, had to fool around with changing the sping and stretching it.

#2084 1 year ago

Forstner bit.

#2107 1 year ago

2 vac difference isn't a lot for an imprecise thing like a transformer. What else have you done?

3 weeks later
#2137 1 year ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

However, I've hunted around and can't find anything about turning off the attract mode "Emperor Ming Awaits!"

Is there a trick I'm missing? It's driving me nuts....

manual page 7. Dip 21.

1 month later
#2170 1 year ago

That era game shouldn't have brass sleeves yours came with them??

1 week later
#2185 1 year ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Big Daddy has replacement strobe boards back in stock. They are $20 more expensive if you by them on Ebay rather than the Big Daddy website.

Ebay has free shipping on it, BD website is $22. So a wash.... but I needed it so thanks for posting. Did not know someone else was making these after the other makers stopped.

1 week later
#2220 1 year ago

Here's my old strobe.... no surprise it wasn't working consistently. Big Daddy delivered last week and I put it in a couple days ago, flash gordon flashes again.

20230320_114340 (resized).jpg20230320_114340 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2280 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What do these strobe boards do for the game?

Strobe fires when you go into the center saucer as a special effect.

Quoted from pacman11:

Does anyone have a picture of the switch matrix for this game?

It's in your manual.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=874
The 3 'empty' switches and the 1 empty in columns 1 and 0 are the coin switches and credit button.

First thing to do is run a solenoid test and see if the outhole kicker fires.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2284 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks, I don't have a manual for it. Looks like the tilt bob is connected directly to the outhole.

It's not a physical wiring diagram, it's a logical diagram. It's a switch matrix as well, so there's a pulse that goes down a column, and the return lines determine the row(s) of closed switches.

Do the solenoid test first to see if the outhole kicker fires. No single ball bally game checks the outhole switch before firing the ball at game start so it is not a factor here.

#2290 12 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright so last night I was working on my Flash Gordon and found two switches not working. The outhole and the drop target 50 pt rebound switch. I also check continuity between switches and it tested good. All coils work in test mode too. Could it be a bad diode on the switch?

Do you have switch capacitors on the top pop and lower left pop? Cut one end off if so and retest switches. (If they are vintage they need to be replaced, cutting on end won't affect testing)

#2292 12 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

The pop bumpers aren't even in the same switch row, how would that affect the outhole switch? I think there is a capacitor on the outhole switch. Thanks!

draw a box on your 2 non-working switches across the matrix and look at likely switches in the 'corners' of the box.

The outhole switch most definitely does NOT need a capacitor, capacitors are added to the switches that are subject to quick hits like a standup, sling, or pop.

Those 2 pops I called out ARE on the same row, btw. They aren't on the same COLUMN, whereas both of your non-working switches are.

For that matter, make sure your 50 point standup isn't mashed closed.

1 month later
#2332 10 months ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Anyone have recommendations for other 80s pins similar to Flash Gordon in difficulty? This might be the hardest game I've ever owned, nastier than BSD.

Dragonfist

2 weeks later
#2359 10 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Can someone post a photo of inside their coin door. My coin door wires seem hacked up. There are three of those diagnostic test switches there. One is mounted on a metal plate and is broken. The other two test switches are hanging there and are seized up and don't press down. So I'm not able to get into the test diagnostic menu.

There should only be one test switch on this era bally coin door.

Post a picture of what you have.

2 weeks later
#2414 9 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Do I need to adjust self-test #17 to 03 so scoring thresholds award a REPLAY? #17 to 02 would award an X-Ball, right?

yes

#2418 9 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I was trying to award a replay credit at a low score since the MPU doesn't have a free play setting.

Both Alltek and Weebly boards have free play roms installed for Bally games.
The original boards you can get freeplay capable roms burned (you do have to find them or the patch for them, some are at:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html).

The styles of freeplay I have seen are:

always max credits
display shows at least 01 credit all the time
credits can show 00 but the apron lamp lights indicating credits/credits can show 00 and just starts a game without the apron light
credits at 00 will electronically 'flick' the coin door switch so you can hear the sound byte for adding a credit

There are likely others I'm forgetting about. I know the classic stern games when I added them I was playing with different types of freeplay - I find that most people at shows that are sort of 'in the know' about credit displays would look at the credit window and see zero and not even try to start a game, so when I took games to the local show I would set the credit display to not show, or put a note near the credits display "game is freeplay just press start".

I think the another reason as BigAl56 says re: management is that they didn't want to have operators calling up and saying "the game is in freeplay somehow, I'm losing money!"

The freeplay market was so tiny back then I'm kind of surprised that Williams included it in their games. There is a specific test in the OS rom code for "max credits=00" enabling the freeplay (it wasn't a side effect of that setting, for instance).

1 month later
#2457 8 months ago
Quoted from Smack:

Can someone please tell me what the name or part num is for the metal spacer that holds up the clear plastic ball guide circled in this image?

Bell post but afaik no one sells them.

1 month later
#2487 6 months ago

Dip 21

1 week later
#2538 6 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

The orange wire at the coil goes to that retrofitted connector next to it (BTW what's the point of this connector?).

It's trendy right now to add connectors to everything to make servicing "easier" in the future. I would only do it to things that are a PITA to take in/out (lots of switches/coils to undo when removing the bracket....)

I did it for my single drop on my FG because it was falling from vibration and the connectors made it easy to take in/out.

Adding the connector is an old, old argument as to if it decreases reliability or not. I think it adds another point of failure to worry about, but I can see it making sense in some situations. Wholesale replacement of all of them.... nah.

For the mismatched action on the flippers, are we sure that the wires in the connector are in the correct places? That seems more common to mess up when repinning vs. anything with the relay. Could be the cab switches or the ones to the coils themselves.

#2542 6 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

Do you recall what the solution was for yours? I ran into the same problem when i got my FG. Can't remember what my solution was (though i think i had to alter the target slightly)... But i think it's still occasionally dropping from vibration.

Still tweaking it although it didn't do it the other day.

#2550 6 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Add a dab of contact cement.

Where on the shelf of the drop?

1 week later
#2574 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

6. The Xenon flasher bulb is not working. I'm not sure how to go about testing this board. I see there is a mini transformer for it in the base cabinet. I've reflowed solder on the board already, but haven't tested any components and not sure how to test if the bulb even flashes.

These are usually cooked, get the Big Daddy unit. works great.

You could probably replace every component and get it to work. Anything with high voltage circuits you should replace every component at the same time as one part out of spec could take out the new parts you add in.

#2577 5 months ago

Entire replacement unit.

#2589 5 months ago

The insert might be installed upside down, they have a very slight angle on one side.

3 weeks later
#2606 5 months ago

Don't use Yoppsicles for GI, use comet warm/cool white (whichever yopp you have) with a socket. The GI will be pretty dim otherwise.

#2611 5 months ago

The other thing that was a pleasant side effect of yoppsicles everywhere - there's just more room to work on the mechs, since the bottom of the PF becomes flat where lamps are concerned.

Not having to worry about sockets was what did it for me. I've tried all the tricks with sockets including replacement, not having to worry about a socket is just great. They look really good as well, and have fooled me sometimes since it almost looks like a domed bulb in some cases from the top.

#2613 5 months ago

They have built in resistors which is usually enough to allow them to work properly on Bally machines. You can always add more resistance if needed to properly latch the lamp driver board SCR. They won't work in 6803 games, just the -17/-35 games.

#2615 5 months ago

Believe me, I was firmly in the better-dead-than-LED club a couple years ago. But, I also said if they get good enough that I can't tell if it's an LED or at least if it's close, I'd switch. The less heat sold me too, now at parties instead of the gameroom climbing to 90+ degrees, it stays ambient temp. My EBD you could put your hand on it with regular bulbs after it being on a couple of hours and it was REALLY warm on the glass (PF and BG) - with LED's, nope, stays cool. Just have to finish changing all those 555 GI sockets over and that one's done. The other 20 or so games I've done it to are mostly the heads so far, (with comet warm white retros) but I have done 5-6 machines inserts with the yopps (all bally/stern)

Can't say enough good about them. They go in so fast. Easiest if you take your PF and flip it over to work on so it's flat I have 2 4x4's that I use underneath with an old tshirt to protect the PF.

#2624 4 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Has anyone ever achieved the 5x playfield multiplier and then made the shot back into the shooter lane? Obviously you want your bonus to be built up at this point but I have only ever managed this at 3x. This must be one of the harder shots in pinball to make.

Yep this is the holy grail of shots on the game.... I think it gives you more than 5x but I'd have to check that.... I think I remember hearing it was actually 15x (3x5)

I've hit the standup with both lit a couple of times.

1 month later
#2695 3 months ago
Quoted from ita47:

How many of you have ditched the linear flippers and converted them to the older non linear style, or is this considered sacrilege? I am considering converting mine while I have it apart to install the Hard Top.

I have on other machines. (EBD and other games I no longer have).

The linears were created because they last a LONG time on location without maintenance. This is true, but the throw of the flipper gets longer and longer (making it easier to trap) as the button on the pawl wears.

I don't see an advantage to keeping them if you're rebuilding the flipper anyway. The parts are expensive and wear quickly.

#2697 3 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I prefer the authentic feel of rebuilt linear flippers. What's next, hot gluing a LCD screen on the backglass?

Nope just the flippers. Why would you put an LCD screen on it?

#2701 3 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Changing the flipper mechs will change the entire feel of the game. Inauthentic. If you love Williams mechs so much, go play a Williams game.

Who changed it to Williams? I put the earlier bally pawls in which is what the original question was as well.

1 week later
#2732 88 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

How do I tell which lamps are general illumination on the playfield?

In general, the controlled lamps with have one bare wire running from socket to socket, and one thinner wire that goes into the harness for the ground at the scr on the lamp driver board.

The GI lamps are usually just a parallel run of bare wire, with occasional areas of an insulated wire used.

You could also pop out either the GI fuse or the controlled lamps fuse to see the difference visually.

1 week later
#2759 77 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

We're talking maybe 1/8" shift, so the new holes would be too close to the existing holes. I guess I could drill entirely new holes through the pf.

Either fill rail holes or get new ones made; don't drill new holes in the PF. That's the hard to replace part....

2 weeks later
#2768 58 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I finally got the 5x 5x shot! Spinner was lit but my score went from 680k to almost 1.2m. No clue on the math there.

Scores 25x

Definitely the money shot in this game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,995 (OBO)
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.